PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request ESPN feature on Marty's condition

DaFace
10-03-2017, 12:48 PM
I saw a few people ask if there was a link to this yesterday, so here ya go. Warning, it's tough to watch.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=20896213&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Direct link in case that doesn't play.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20896213

Reerun_KC
10-03-2017, 12:49 PM
What's wrong with Marty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaFace
10-03-2017, 12:51 PM
What's wrong with Marty?

Alzheimer's. Pretty good feature on him in the Star from January.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article126264229.html

AMDChief
10-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Damn shame. The man deserves to have those memories.

T-post Tom
10-03-2017, 01:00 PM
That was really hard to watch. He's fortunate to have a supportive family and financial security, but damn that's sad. Wishing you & your family the best, Marty.

DaFace
10-03-2017, 01:02 PM
That was really hard to watch. He's fortunate to have a supportive family and financial security, but damn that's sad. Wishing you & your family the best, Marty.

"We're not in Pennsylvania anymore." :sulk:

KCUnited
10-03-2017, 01:02 PM
That was tough to watch. He looked scared, which was hard to see.

I have an honest question. When dealing with someone with Alzheimer's, are you supposed to correct them on things such as their location or just let them roll with it? Like when he thought they were in Pennsylvania and his wife corrected him. I understand on names and such, but honestly don't know if it's protocol to correct them on everything.

Eleazar
10-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Yeah, it was hard to watch. Great to see those old clips of him and hear his voice again though, so many good memories.

T-post Tom
10-03-2017, 01:04 PM
"We're not in Pennsylvania anymore." :sulk:

Watched my g-ma succumb to Alzheimer's disease. Get's progressively worse and is really bad at the end. Haven't donated to that cause in awhile. Think I will today.

Randallflagg
10-03-2017, 01:09 PM
I saw a few people ask if there was a link to this yesterday, so here ya go. Warning, it's tough to watch.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=20896213&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Direct link in case that doesn't play.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20896213

I watched that last night and it broke my heart. Damned shame.

stevieray
10-03-2017, 01:23 PM
He was a foot away from me @ Lamar's funeral service in KC. I wanted so bad to tell him thanks, but the timing just wasn't right.

Football is a complete blast. But as he so eloquently stated, when it's all said and done, it's those you love that matter most.

Godspeed Marty, you're a special man.

Spott
10-03-2017, 01:33 PM
He resurrected football in KC and I never had any bad feelings about him. He could be conservative at time, but he just had the worst luck in the playoffs. If it weren't for Elway, he would likely have several Super Bowl appearances.

Reerun_KC
10-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Marty was awesome. He built a level of awesome for the regular season.

I just wish he wasn't Marty in the playoffs. He could of been a legend if it could of gotten out of his own way.

ChiefGator
10-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Damn.. hard to see. Really touching though.

There is nothing as pernicious as slowly losing your memory...

Fish
10-03-2017, 01:46 PM

I have an honest question. When dealing with someone with Alzheimer's, are you supposed to correct them on things such as their location or just let them roll with it? Like when he thought they were in Pennsylvania and his wife corrected him. I understand on names and such, but honestly don't know if it's protocol to correct them on everything.

I'm not sure if there's a standard protocol or not. But I can tell you that I watched my own grandfather go through Alzheimer's, and when we tried correcting him on stuff like that he'd just get super pissed off and frustrated. I have an incredible fear of this disease simply because I saw first hand what it does, and it's fucking terrifying. Stripping a person of their memories one by one until there's just nothing left. No identity, no purpose, completely dependent. It just erases your life and there's nothing anyone can do about it but watch you slowly slip away.

stevieray
10-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure if there's a standard protocol or not. But I can tell you that I watched my own grandfather go through Alzheimer's, and when we tried correcting him on stuff like that he'd just get super pissed off and frustrated. I have an incredible fear of this disease simply because I saw first hand what it does, and it's ****ing terrifying. Stripping a person of their memories one by one until there's just nothing left. No identity, no purpose, completely dependent. It just erases your life and there's nothing anyone can do about it but watch you slowly slip away.

:(

I have that fear, too...

KCUnited
10-03-2017, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure if there's a standard protocol or not. But I can tell you that I watched my own grandfather go through Alzheimer's, and when we tried correcting him on stuff like that he'd just get super pissed off and frustrated. I have an incredible fear of this disease simply because I saw first hand what it does, and it's fucking terrifying. Stripping a person of their memories one by one until there's just nothing left. No identity, no purpose, completely dependent. It just erases your life and there's nothing anyone can do about it but watch you slowly slip away.

Thanks for answering and I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. You're probably right that its dependent on circumstance. Marty took it well, but I'd probably be the type of caretaker to just let them just roll with non-family names and stuff.

My uncle had Alzheimer's. He was a career teacher and coach. Big family, beloved in his community. I hadn't seen him in years. I went back for the funeral expecting a massive turnout and when I got there it was just a small handful of family and close friends. The look on all their faces was more relief than sadness. I guess the last couple years were unimaginably difficult. I left hoping that time can help people remember who he really was.

Reerun_KC
10-03-2017, 01:56 PM

Sad

Ming the Merciless
10-03-2017, 01:57 PM
hug your loved ones and hold your family tight

life is crazy and brutal

I want to hug all of you right now

NTTAWWT

Ming the Merciless
10-03-2017, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure if there's a standard protocol or not. But I can tell you that I watched my own grandfather go through Alzheimer's, and when we tried correcting him on stuff like that he'd just get super pissed off and frustrated. I have an incredible fear of this disease simply because I saw first hand what it does, and it's ****ing terrifying. Stripping a person of their memories one by one until there's just nothing left. No identity, no purpose, completely dependent. It just erases your life and there's nothing anyone can do about it but watch you slowly slip away.

AMen to this.

I watched a loved one of mine, and am watching the final stages of that right now. Its awful. Its the most difficult thing in the world because you are powerless....

Enjoy the now and enjoy the moments.....

Reerun_KC
10-03-2017, 02:02 PM
AMen to this.

I watched a loved one of mine, and am watching the final stages of that right now. Its awful. Its the most difficult thing in the world because you are powerless....

Enjoy the now and enjoy the moments.....

As I get older, family becomes more and more important.

Have a wife of 26 years now. I couldn't imagine life without her or how heart breaking it would be to see her go through something like this. She's a precious gift.

Chiefnj2
10-03-2017, 02:05 PM
With Marty it was the best of times and worst of times. The excitement of being a relevant contender, AFC Championship game and then some heart breaking playoff losses. I don't know if there was a better coach to help turn a franchise around and get them on the right track with the right attitude.

I miss the old Marty Raider week games and build up.

At the end of the day, the guy had a great passion for the game and cared about his players. I distinctly remember him at DT's HOF induction.

It was tough to watch that show last night, but at least he has a loving family to care for him and watch over him.

big nasty kcnut
10-03-2017, 02:09 PM
I can't it reminds me of my grandma and how she suffered.

ModSocks
10-03-2017, 02:11 PM
I want to watch this. I need to watch this. But i'm really not in the mood to feel bad.

ptlyon
10-03-2017, 02:12 PM
I want to watch this. I need to watch this. But i'm really not in the mood to feel bad.

Denver is 3 and 1.

How do you feel now?

alpha_omega
10-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Still can't believe Sandy Eggo fired him after 14-2.

ModSocks
10-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Denver is 3 and 1.

How do you feel now?

Kinda pissed? I guess.

ModSocks
10-03-2017, 02:15 PM

They've been cursed ever since.

Bwana
10-03-2017, 02:18 PM
That was really hard to watch last night.

Reerun_KC
10-03-2017, 02:19 PM
They've been cursed ever since.

We know the feeling......

Bwana
10-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Yeah that was a WTF moment, garbage ownership.

Fish
10-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Thanks for answering and I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. You're probably right that its dependent on circumstance. Marty took it well, but I'd probably be the type of caretaker to just let them just roll with non-family names and stuff.

My uncle had Alzheimer's. He was a career teacher and coach. Big family, beloved in his community. I hadn't seen him in years. I went back for the funeral expecting a massive turnout and when I got there it was just a small handful of family and close friends. The look on all their faces was more relief than sadness. I guess the last couple years were unimaginably difficult. I left hoping that time can help people remember who he really was.

My grandfather was moved into a hospice once my grandmother couldn't take care of him by herself. He was in the hospice for several years as he slowly got worse. A lot of my family would visit him on a pretty regular basis at first. But closer to the end, many in the family just completely stopped going. At first that made me incredibly angry. But I think I've grown to understand that some people simply can't deal with watching that happening to their loved one. It's just too painful to accept. I guess they no longer see any connection to the person they once knew, and they know the Alzheimer victim doesn't even know who they are. Awful for everyone involved.

Ming the Merciless
10-03-2017, 02:27 PM
As I get older, family becomes more and more important.

Have a wife of 26 years now. I couldn't imagine life without her or how heart breaking it would be to see her go through something like this. She's a precious gift.

Same here my friend. I'm not quite at 20 years together yet . I know what you mean. I've got 2 little ones and I don't want them to have to worry about me...uggh...

Hugs

stevieray
10-03-2017, 02:32 PM
My grandfather was moved into a hospice once my grandmother couldn't take care of him by herself. He was in the hospice for several years as he slowly got worse. A lot of my family would visit him on a pretty regular basis at first. But closer to the end, many in the family just completely stopped going. At first that made me incredibly angry. But I think I've grown to understand that some people simply can't deal with watching that happening to their loved one. It's just too painful to accept. I guess they no longer see any connection to the person they once knew, and they know the Alzheimer victim doesn't even know who they are. Awful for everyone involved.

I balled like a baby at the end of The Notebook.

WilliamTheIrish
10-03-2017, 02:42 PM

Fish,

I don't know your age, but there are going to be some very effective treatments in the next decade that may well reverse the process in patients that have very advanced cases.

Chieficus
10-03-2017, 02:42 PM

My grandma had Alz for a decade before she passed. Took her from vibrant to non-verbal and wheelchair bound at the end. Your question was a debate between my mom and my aunt. When my grandma would see things or get things wrong, my aunt wanted to correct her while my mom would try to roll with it.

What they see/experience is what they think is real. If challenged, they get upset (b/c you're telling them what they think is real isn't real while their emotional capabilities essentially revert to those of a child).

So, I side with my mom on that: Just roll with it.

I'm friends with another family whose mother has an advanced case. One of the lady's sons died a few months back. They told her and then had to deal with a major breakdown on her part.

Honestly, if it had been my family, I wouldn't have told her and if she asked about him, simply say, "He's away for a while, but you'll see him again soon."

There's really no right answer to any of it. But I want to err on the side of not upsetting the person.

ModSocks
10-03-2017, 02:45 PM
This thread is hella depressing.

KCUnited
10-03-2017, 02:53 PM
My grandma had Alz for a decade before she passed. Took her from vibrant to non-verbal and wheelchair bound at the end. Your question was a debate between my mom and my aunt. When my grandma would see things or get things wrong, my aunt wanted to correct her while my mom would try to roll with it.

What they see/experience is what they think is real. If challenged, they get upset (b/c you're telling them what they think is real isn't real while their emotional capabilities essentially revert to those of a child).

So, I side with my mom on that: Just roll with it.

I'm friends with another family whose mother has an advanced case. One of the lady's sons died a few months back. They told her and then had to deal with a major breakdown on her part.

Honestly, if it had been my family, I wouldn't have told her and if she asked about him, simply say, "He's away for a while, but you'll see him again soon."

There's really no right answer to any of it. But I want to err on the side of not upsetting the person.

Damn, I'm sorry you and your family had to go through that.

I was just wondering if there were directives from doctors on how to handle that, but after reading you and Fish's post, it makes sense that it's unique to the situation.

Watching at the time, I thought it was odd Marty's wife corrected him, on what I thought was an irrelevant thing, with the cameras on, but he handled it well. My wife on the other hand, took the approach that they would want to know where they're really at. I can totally see it both ways. What a horrific disease.

EDIT: Obviously Marty's wife knows the entirety of the situation and I'm not trying to question that in the least.

Dayze
10-03-2017, 02:57 PM

me too. I put myself in James Garner's situation, and it just killed me to think of going through that with my wife.

I can't / won't watch it. My wife, however, will watch it all the time and always end up crying and feeling sad. lol.

scho63
10-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Marty was awesome. He built a level of awesome for the regular season.

I just wish he wasn't Marty in the playoffs. He could of been a legend if it could of gotten out of his own way.

:clap:

You can say that again! It was so frustrating to go 13-3 several times with home field advantage and to lose the first game. It was the "Tale of Two Marties"; regular season Marty and playoff Marty.

He really made some incredibly bad decisions during the playoffs. I wonder if later in life the pressure to win a damn playoff made him so reserved he was afraid to pull the trigger or do what was the better decision. :hmmm:

Baby Lee
10-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Hope you have good health all your days...

And you as well.

New World Order
You can't really correct people with Alzheimer's. They don't believe you and then forget what you said about 10 seconds later.

My grandmother would talk about her husband still being alive (died 10 years before) and how he was out running around on her.

She also talked about how she kept seeing her father at different restaurants (guy had been dead for about 35 years).

oldman
It was hard to watch that. Marty was such a great coach and pretty good interview. I'd take him over any other Chief HC not named Stram or the 2017 version of Reid.

Pointer19
10-03-2017, 03:09 PM
This thread is hella depressing.

I'll second this. I was too young to know what was going on when a great uncle was going through Alzheimer's, but it's gotta be one of my biggest fears. My older family members have such sharp, witty minds. To see them lose that would be a great challenge.

Fish,

I don't know your age, but there are going to be some very effective treatments in the next decade that may well reverse the process in patients that have very advanced cases.

Thankfully, I think this is correct. Godspeed to the doctors working on this.

Frosty
10-03-2017, 03:13 PM
The look on all their faces was more relief than sadness. I guess the last couple years were unimaginably difficult. I left hoping that time can help people remember who he really was.

I have to say that I was more relieved than sad when my grandma died after having Alzheimer's for 6 or 7 years. Who she was had been gone for a couple of years already and it was time for the shell to be done. Caring for her had almost killed my grandpa and would have financially devastated him if she had had to go into long term care.

Frosty
10-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Sorry but I have to...

http://i59.tinypic.com/2wflqfm.jpg

Pitt Gorilla
10-03-2017, 03:27 PM
My father had Alzheimer's for the last 7 years or so of his life. It was horrible.

PAChiefsGuy
10-03-2017, 03:33 PM
That was really hard to watch.

FlaChief58
10-03-2017, 03:50 PM
I cried like a baby last night while watching. Can't bring myself to watch it again.

Frosty
10-03-2017, 03:53 PM
I cried like a baby last night while watching.

I did too. It brought back too many bad memories. Alzheimer's is just a devastating disease.

sd4chiefs
10-03-2017, 03:57 PM
I can't watch it. I went through with this with my Dad for 8 years.

Halfcan
10-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Al Bundy
10-03-2017, 04:12 PM
That was tough to watch.

ClevelandBronco
10-03-2017, 04:13 PM

Act 2

https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/532/transcript

Oh Snap
10-03-2017, 05:32 PM
My grandad had alzhiemers. He was a world war II vet. There were times before it completely took over him that he would have flashbacks of the war. My mom and grandma found him cowering in a closet trying to get my grandma to get in saying the nazis and japs were coming for them.

Terrible disease.

lewdog
10-03-2017, 06:15 PM

Ask the therapist who deals with them everyday. And yes, some days it's hard to see this.

What we teach families is called Validation therapy. A way of validating what a patient thinks is going on. For the most part you DO NOT want to redirect them when they are wrong. Talk about where they think they are, past thoughts and memories. In Alzheimer's, long term memory is much more intact than short term recall. So if the patient begins to talk like he's in the state he grew up, lead them back to the memories that lead to communication with validating comments. The only time we work on correcting a patient relates to familiar family and friends. Teaching family to make scrapbooks with pictures and names in bold print. Practicing this multiple times per day with the patient so they do not become scared or agitated around people they "think" they do not know.

Holladay
10-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Many thoughts on this. My Grandparents went through spells of this. I've had clients go through this. Some good, some bad.

I try and think positive. The Beatles song "The Fool on the Hill". They don't know that they don't know. Peaceful.

As I get older, maybe I have some of it too. Go to the frig and forget why I went there. Or where are my car keys...duh. This, though, is common place for almost everyone.

My Dad has some of it too and getting worse. Maybe he doesn't mind and is happy where he is at. It sounded like the same for Marty. The hard part is on support units. Watching them fail. Marty sounded fairly happy. He understands where he is at and cherishes his family. Again, hardest on the support system.

I think the best quote on this is from Ronald Reagan. Paraphrasing "The nice thing about this Alzheimer's is that I get to meet new friends each day".

mlyonsd
10-03-2017, 07:27 PM
One of my best friend's wife has dementia. He was forced to retire at 60 to take care of her. I was with them a few weekends ago and it was very sad at every level except for how she smiled whenever he came into view to her. She's only 57 and one month younger than me.

Looking back I can remember feeling invincible and I could face anything but now realize living to an older age has its caveats. Enjoy everything while you can.

Mile High Mania
10-03-2017, 07:56 PM
It's a horrific thing to watch a loved one go through... happened to my grandmother. Quite a few around here had their fun when it was made public that Pat Bowlen was dealing with it. It's hard to understand until it hits home and it really hurts those that are the closest to the person. Tough as hell to accept and watch it happen.

dirk digler
10-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks DaFace for sharing that link.

My dad prior to him passing a few months ago started to have really bad dementia due to a stroke he had. I just rolled with it and didn't try to correct him much. The one positive is that he never forgot who I was or close family members. To me that is the absolute worst.

Chief Roundup
10-03-2017, 08:20 PM
That was tough to watch and know that many many people are suffering through this same kind of situation.

listopencil
10-03-2017, 08:25 PM
That's fucked. I'm old enough to remember him as a worthy adversary. Worthy of respect. That is how I will choose to remember him, and I wish him and his family well.

Pitt Gorilla
10-03-2017, 08:46 PM
The worst part was when my dad stopped viewing my mother as his wife and, instead, as the old lady that took care of him. I’m not sure he ever really forgot who I was, but I’m not sure he really remembered either. My dad was my hero (literally, as a WWII vet), but I think death may have been a few years late.

KChiefs1
10-03-2017, 08:52 PM

Is it harder on them or the people around them?

I've been told that it's easier on someone having a seizure than the person watching their loved one have one.

Is it the same for Alzheimer's?

lewdog
10-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Is it harder on them or the people around them?

I've been told that it's easier on someone having a seizure than the person watching their loved one have one.

Is it the same for Alzheimer's?

It's definitely harder on people around them as in moderate to late stage dementia, individuals are largely unable to reason past very simple tasks. Alzheimer's is a disease but most people have dementia (a group of symptoms) without having Alzheimer's. This can happen from stoke, other neurological conditions and unknown causes, but many suggesting ties to medical intervention, anesthesia and infections through old age.

And this is not meant to sound insensitive but dementia (not Alzheimer's) itself is a way to ease the dying process in a way. Many of the older population with dementia has many other comorbidities. With dementia, however, they are largely unaware of their deterioration and ultimately their death. Those who die pleasantly confused are usually more at peace than those with complete intact cognitive function. That does not make it easier on the family, however, but actually harder as they are unable to discuss and have that final connection with their loved one before the pass. In it's simplest analogy, dementia itself is a coping mechanism produced by the body for many during the dying process, which can realistically take years.

hometeam
10-03-2017, 09:05 PM
yea saw this the other day. Great piece.

listopencil
10-03-2017, 09:08 PM
It's definitely harder on people around them as in moderate to late stage dementia, individuals are largely unable to reason past very simple tasks. Alzheimer's is a disease but most people have dementia (a group of symptoms) without having Alzheimer's. This can happen from stoke, other neurological conditions and unknown causes, but many suggesting ties to medical intervention, anesthesia and infections through old age.

And this is not meant to sound insensitive but dementia (not Alzheimer's) itself is a way to ease the dying process in a way. Many of the older population with dementia has many other comorbidities. With dementia, however, they are largely unaware of their deterioration and ultimately their death. Those who die pleasantly confused are usually more at peace than those with complete intact cognitive function. That does not make it easier on the family, however, but actually harder as they are unable to discuss and have that final connection with their loved one before the pass. In it's simplest analogy, dementia itself is a coping mechanism produced by the body for many during the dying process, which can realistically take years.

I have had to ease a few loved ones into death. The only one who knew what was going on was my father. He turned to my brother and said in a mildly surprised tone of voice, "I think I'm dying." He was, and he died within moments.

BigRedChief
10-03-2017, 09:11 PM
That was really hard to watch.my mom died of Alzheimer's last year. It's a lot tougher to watch when it's a loved one. Wouldn't wish that slow death on anyone.

lewdog
10-03-2017, 09:14 PM
my mom died of Alzheimer's last year. It's a lot tougher to watch when it's a loved one. Wouldn't wish that slow death on anyone.

It's absolutely heart wrenching especially with how long it lasts for many, even though they have such little function.

And without making this into a DC thread, I still think we allow animals to have more humane death than humans. I hope by the time I'm old, we have choices for how we end our lives under such horrible diseases.

Buehler445
10-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Thanks for posting about dimentia Lew. My grandma had it pretty bad and knowing that definitely helps.

BigRedChief
10-03-2017, 09:21 PM
It's absolutely heart wrenching especially with how long it lasts for many, even though they have such little function.

And without making this into a DC thread, I still think we allow animals to have more humane death than humans. I hope by the time I'm old, we have choices for how we end our lives under such horrible diseases.it took years. She was in good physical shape before the diagnosis. She had such great care over the years. The final moments were when she forgot how to breathe. Just take a breath. She couldn't remember how.

We had a DNR in place, my mom had left that body long ago. What can you do but let the disease slowly kill her. No one deserves to die like that.

WhiteWhale
10-03-2017, 09:32 PM
I saw this after the news of the Las Vegas thing and the Tom Petty thing...

I had no idea he was in such bad shape.

EPodolak
10-03-2017, 10:34 PM
My mom had Alzheimer's and passed away a few years ago. She was tough, she became childlike and very sweet as she got ill, then in the last years she was vacant altogether. That prospect is frightening, for sure. I would like to do all in my power to avoid or delay onset.

Not to trivialize the condition, but here's a list of lifestyle habits I see repeated often that are believed to help stave off mental decline. If you're interested.

https://bottomlineinc.com/health/alzheimers/alzheimers-symptoms-reversed

|Zach|
10-04-2017, 02:17 AM
Man I am really close to this in a way that I can't even gather up the stones to talk about on here yet.

This kind of decay is just the worst thing for everyone involved. Glad their family has the resources to keep him comfortable and give him good care.

go bo
10-04-2017, 03:27 AM
my oldest sister has had the disease for some years now...

for some reason she remembered who i was when i would call her up, even after she stopped recognizing her kids...

my voice was a memory from her childhood and she hung on to that for a long time...

but eventually, not so much...

her body is still alive though (our ancestors were all long-lived with few exceptions)...

it's probably too late for me (people have been calling me demented for about 60 years now) but i am so encouraged by the new treatments being developed...

my children and grandchildren may not have to learn first-hand about this terrible horrifying slow mental death...

it's like most people alive today don't have a clue about polio or how it killed or crippled children on an all-too-frequent basis before the salk vaccine...

and some younger people can't grasp the hate and vitriol based on differences like race or religion or sexual identity or all the other things people in my generation were all atwitter about, thinking that the world was going to shit in so many ways...

my grandchildren and grand nieces and such find my stories highly entertaining but they wonder sometimes if i'm making it all up because it sounds so wrong and it's so obvious to them that they don't understand how people could have felt that way...

the notion of lynching people seems as unworldly as the stories of the holocaust to these young people...

our family (edit: well, my wife's family and our children anyway) has pale people, brown people, black people, yellow people, weird people and even a few red people and we all get along just fine...

when i married my wife my father told me not to bring that ****er woman to his house for fear the neighbors might see her...

then he met her at another relative's house (in all places, geporgia) a few months later and then he was mad that i hadn't brought her to see him before then...

the proverbial twist him around her little finger dealio...

piece of cake, really; once he got the royal treatment he was all done worrying about how tan his grandchildren might turn out to be....

people change over time and from generation to generation...

which is good thing, but us old farts generally don't much care for change in general...

anyway, alzzisshit is one mother fucker...

my mom had a massive stroke and couldn't understand things, and couldn't talk coherently and couldn't recognize most people, including her husband...

after she stopped recognizing me i pretty much didn't go see her very often...

i felt very guilty about that, and still do, but she really had no idea if i was there or not or who the hell i might be...

but that was "better" than alzhemiers...

it truly sucks, almost as bad as cancer (which took my brother in his mid-fifties, same type of cancer that mccain has)...

fuck the big a, and fuck cancer, and fuck crazy people who murder and maim so many people...

that vegas thing almost makes me want to develop the disease so i don't have to be aware of the madness of mass shootings...

anyway, good night to anyone so unfortunate as to be awake at this time of night...

sleep well and "enjoy your day" puerto rico!!

Rausch
10-04-2017, 06:43 AM
Man I am really close to this in a way that I can't even gather up the stones to talk about on here yet.

This kind of decay is just the worst thing for everyone involved. Glad their family has the resources to keep him comfortable and give him good care.

Both of my grandfathers and my father had mental declines before they died. Not this, but cancer and other illnesses.

Watching a person lose themselves is more painful than pain. It's deeper.

When my father was in pain we could give him morphine and for a short while he'd feel better and be able to talk before he was out of it.

When he looked at me and asked "Why?" with the eyes and inflection of an 8 year old it's crushing. There is no comfort to be given. There's no pill - no shot to fix that.

The only thing greater than the suck of watching something like this happen is the appreciation you gain for that %0.001 of people that have a love for humanity and compassion that care for people with these types of illnesses. I had two hospice workers that impressed me more than any priest, doctor, or really any family member I've ever met...

HemiEd
10-04-2017, 06:45 AM
It was a very sad episode. It is an extremely cruel disease, I lost my step mom to it.

KChiefs1
10-04-2017, 06:54 AM
I wish we could let him know how much he meant to us.

Rausch
10-04-2017, 06:57 AM
I wish we could let him know how much he meant to us.

I don't think it would help him but I think it would help his wife and kids a great deal.

Pitt Gorilla
10-04-2017, 11:22 AM
I really do appreciate everyone sharing their stories about this horrible disease. I think it makes it easier to think about what my dad went through. The most difficult thing for him was when he could no longer fix everything. You could see how much it hurt him and that moment really got to my mom as well. She still talks about it more than 10 years later.

kysirsoze
10-04-2017, 12:10 PM

And without making this into a DC thread, I still think we allow animals to have more humane death than humans. I hope by the time I'm old, we have choices for how we end our lives under such horrible diseases.

If I got diagnosed with this, I would start making plans for eventually ending it. I know that's not for everyone, but I don't want people remembering me in the final stages. I hope by then laws would have changed so that is possible, but if not, so be it.

stumppy
10-04-2017, 12:57 PM
It's pretty damn dusty in my living room right now.

Titty Meat
10-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Wow fuck that was tough to watch

Randallflagg
10-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Both of my grandfathers and my father had mental declines before they died. Not this, but cancer and other illnesses.

Watching a person lose themselves is more painful than pain. It's deeper.

When my father was in pain we could give him morphine and for a short while he'd feel better and be able to talk before he was out of it.

When he looked at me and asked "Why?" with the eyes and inflection of an 8 year old it's crushing. There is no comfort to be given. There's no pill - no shot to fix that.

The only thing greater than the suck of watching something like this happen is the appreciation you gain for that %0.001 of people that have a love for humanity and compassion that care for people with these types of illnesses. I had two hospice workers that impressed me more than any priest, doctor, or really any family member I've ever met...

I remember, way back when I was a kid, My Grandfather was in his last days. The family lived on a Farm in Kentucky. My Dad, who at the time was a Major in the Army, was called home on Emergency Leave.

We all caught a plane from Arizona back to Kentucky and went to his home. My Grandfather was in pretty bad shape (nearly blind) and dying from cancer. He didn't have much time left. I'll never in my life forget what happened that day. He asks for my Dad, and the old man says "Dad, I'm right here". He says," Son, I'd LOVE to go rabbit hunting one last time."

My Dad was a little shocked. But he got up and helped Granddad get dressed. The rest of the family was going ape-shit crazy and my Dad says "I don't give a damn if I have to carry him - he is going hunting". My Uncles, My Dad and My Grandfather headed out in the car.

When they came back, my Grandfather had passed.

Dad said that they went out in a field (pretty much carrying his Father) and he asked to sit down. They said that he looked around, looked at the country-side, smiled and he died. I suppose he died happy that day.

I'm 70 years old now and I STILL remember that. Coolest thing I ever saw as a kid.

splatbass
10-04-2017, 09:00 PM
My mother had Alzheimer's. I live very far from Missouri where she lived, so I didn't see her often, and every time I went back to visit she was in worse shape.

Then one time I arrived to visit and knocked on my sister's door where she lived and she answered the door and didn't know who I was. That was a shock, and really hard to take. I don't think she ever recognized me again. The last trip before she passed away she was about 90 and frail, and I helped her around to keep her from falling. She looked at me and said "you are a nice man to help me around" not knowing I was her son. Once she told her brother a story about "my brother" without realizing it was him she was talking to.

She was a remarkable woman and despite the disease she was always cheerful, right to the end.

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease, for the person suffering with the disease and for their loved one's. I hope they find a cure soon.