PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Every NFL Team's Biggest Early-Season Disappointment

oaklandhater
10-06-2017, 02:52 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2733635-every-nfl-teams-biggest-early-season-disappointment

Every NFL Team's Biggest Early-Season Disappointment

The Oakland Raiders defense is better than last year's version, but it still isn't counted among the league's better units. NFL Defensive Player of the Year Khalil Mack wants to change that.

"The thing about football, man, it's a team game," Mack said after Sunday's 16-10 loss to the Denver Broncos, per ESPN.com's Paul Gutierrez. "And we've got to execute better defensively, especially starting early. Can't give up touchdowns—we held them to field goals, that's cool—but we've got to get to the point where we can shut teams out. That's got to be the attitude coming into the game."

Oakland ranks 20th overall in total defense after finishing 26th in 2016. The Raiders need to become even more defensively stout moving forward since quarterback Derek Carr is expected to miss two to four weeks with a transverse process fracture in his back, per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Mack and Co. may need to win a game or two for the Raiders since the team's previously potent offense could grind to a halt with EJ Manuel at the helm.

Los Angeles Chargers: Melvin Gordon
The Chargers playing in Los Angeles and being incapable of selling out the league's smallest stadium is an abject embarrassment. But the league will deal with that issue down the road.

On the field, the Chargers' inability to establish a consistent run game continues to hinder their offense.

Melvin Gordon developed into a Pro Bowl performer last season when he ran for 997 yards in 13 games. Defenses have bottled up the former first-round pick so far this year, however, as he's averaging only 3.1 yards per carry and hasn't provided more than 79 rushing yards in any contest.

As a result, the coaching staff plans to utilize undrafted free agent Austin Ekeler more after he scored a 35-yard touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"He was productive all preseason and it didn't matter what group we put him in with—he moved the chains," head coach Anthony Lynn said, per ESPN.com's Eric D. Williams.

Kansas City Chiefs: Chris Conley

At this point, finding fault within the Kansas City Chiefs roster is just nitpicking.

Tight end Travis Kelce and nickel corner Phillips Gaines had their issues during the first three weeks, but they each put together strong performances Monday night against the Washington Redskins.

A lack of an outside-the-numbers presence to complement Tyreek Hill continues to be a void in need of filling. The Chiefs already have the league's second-best offense, and Kelce, Hill and rookie running back Kareem Hunt can take over contests. One more weapon would make this group unstoppable.

Chris Conley is a competent option, but he's fifth on the team with 129 receiving yards. Quarterback Alex Smith tends to look toward slot receiver Albert Wilson more often.

If Conley can provide Alex Smith with another vertical presence, the Chiefs offense would be damn near unstoppable.

Denver Broncos: Secondary

The Denver Broncos defense is exceptional in almost every way. However, the unit's greatest strength has been more of a weakness than expected.

Denver's secondary features two of the league's best cover corners, Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr., along with versatile and athletic safeties Darian Stewart and Justin Simmons. Despite that, the Broncos have given up a touchdown pass of 28 yards or longer in three of their first four contests.

"Our pass coverage is pretty tight, but we've given up too many explosive passes that have led to points," head coach Vance Joseph said, per ESPN.com's Jeff Legwold. "It's some good and bad there."

Considering Denver finished first overall in pass defense over each of the past two seasons, it's a disappointment that it ranks 10th overall and has already surrendered eight touchdowns through the air.

The Franchise
10-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Chris Conley? No.

It's Dee Ford.

RunKC
10-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Dee Ford

Dayze
10-06-2017, 02:58 PM
easily Dee Ford.

if this was a list of each teams' top 5 disappointments, Dee Ford should be listed five times.

BucEyedPea
10-06-2017, 02:59 PM
The performance of Jameis Winston last night in the Patriot's game. Patriots have a shit defense and he did barely anything until the very last minutes of the game.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2017, 03:11 PM
The Chiefs run defense is still pretty bad.

Remind me who got an $8 million chunk of change in the offseason?

TEX
10-06-2017, 03:12 PM
easily Dee Ford.

if this was a list of each teams' top 5 disappointments, Dee Ford should be listed five times.

:clap: ROFL TRUTH!

Halfcan
10-06-2017, 03:23 PM
The biggest disappointment has been losing Berry to a season-ending injury.

Losing Morse all season so far to a foot bruise and Ford to a back spasm sucks too.

penbrook
10-06-2017, 03:24 PM
The biggest disappointment has been losing Berry to a season-ending injury.

Losing Morse all season so far to a foot bruise and Ford to a back spasm sucks too.

And we’re 4-0 with the toughest schedule in the NFL!

Eleazar
10-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Ford is a streaky player in a prove-it year, and has had nagging injuries. I wouldn't call his invisibility a big surprise or a disappointment.

I think the article is right, if Conley were living up to his potential, this offense could be pretty scary.

alpha_omega
10-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Colquitt has been disappointing (being the highest paid punter and all)

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-06-2017, 03:36 PM
In my mind Tyreek hill . He should be bringing us a big play EVERY Game and it's not happened for one reason or another.

jaa1025
10-06-2017, 03:40 PM
In my mind Tyreek hill . He should be bringing us a big play EVERY Game and it's not happened for one reason or another.

He's been actually really good. I saw a graph that he leads all receivers with QB rating while they are throwing to him. He just needs more opportunities but he's doing great for what he's getting.

Dee Ford may be one of the biggest disappointments in the NFL. BUST

2bikemike
10-06-2017, 03:41 PM
The performance of Jameis Winston last night in the Patriot's game. Patriots have a shit defense and he did barely anything until the very last minutes of the game.

They cold have won that game if they could kick a field goal. The kicker was 0-3

RunKC
10-06-2017, 04:02 PM
The Chiefs run defense is still pretty bad.

Remind me who got an $8 million chunk of change in the offseason?

It's Bennie Logan'a fault that teams are running all over Dee Ford and Frank Zombo on the outside?

Rain Man
10-06-2017, 04:09 PM
My biggest disappointment remains our lack of achilles tendon conditioning.

underEJ
10-06-2017, 04:10 PM

Hill is not a disappointment to me at all. He is all over the place as a misdirection. They will soon have to target him more when opponents stop biting, but it has been a pretty great asset.

T-post Tom
10-06-2017, 04:12 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2733635-every-nfl-teams-biggest-early-season-disappointment

Chris Conley is a competent option, but he's fifth on the team with 129 receiving yards. Quarterback Alex Smith tends to look toward slot receiver Albert Wilson more often.

True statement? Is Smith really giving Wilson more looks? Or is Conley just not getting open?

pugsnotdrugs19
10-06-2017, 04:17 PM
It's Dee Ford, by a long shot IMO. We need him and Houston performing near peak levels to go the distance. Ford hasn't held up his end, whether it be via injury or whatever else.

The dude better step up when he returns because otherwise the Chiefs have to figure out the future at ROLB without him. Maybe its KPass, but I still wonder if they might move him back to DE eventually.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2017, 04:24 PM
It's Bennie Logan'a fault that teams are running all over Dee Ford and Frank Zombo on the outside?

Benniexcuses?

Rasputin
10-06-2017, 04:37 PM
You have to have expectations to be disappointed so that disqualifies Conely

Garcia Bronco
10-06-2017, 05:05 PM
The Broncos are playing more zone to stop the run and not playing man.

jjchieffan
10-06-2017, 05:14 PM
The Broncos are playing more zone to stop the run and not playing man.

I agree. I have tried to explain that to KnowShit and Kramzitinhisrectum. They have sacrificed some of their dominance in the passing game in order to stop the run. But those guys are trying to insist that the passing defense is just as good as it was. My post was for them. And I'm sure that as soon as they see it, those dipshit will be in here trying to spin some homer defense about blown coverage.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2017, 05:18 PM
The Broncos are also dominating at the point of attack and getting off blocks. Anyone who has watched their games knows this.

FloridaMan88
10-06-2017, 06:48 PM
DeMarcus Robinson, considering how certain segments of this message board were hyping him up during the offseason because he supposedly looked good in offseason practices during April/May.

Robinson's season stat line: 2 catches for 9 yards.

Although that is an improvement over his 0 catch 0 receiving yards stat line from last year so I guess that is "progress".

jjchieffan
10-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Robinson had chemistry with Mahomes and that's where the hype came from. We may have to wait until Mahomes becomes the starter to see if Robinson is for real.

Simply Red
10-06-2017, 07:05 PM
The Broncos are also dominating at the point of attack and getting off blocks. Anyone who has watched their games knows this.

Points Against

TigeRRUppeRRcut
10-06-2017, 07:13 PM
It's Dee Ford, by a long shot IMO. We need him and Houston performing near peak levels to go the distance. Ford hasn't held up his end, whether it be via injury or whatever else.

The dude better step up when he returns because otherwise the Chiefs have to figure out the future at ROLB without him. Maybe its KPass, but I still wonder if they might move him back to DE eventually.

With how things are going I think the Chiefs are totally fine walking away from Ford's $8.7 million contract. Alex Smith extension > Dee Ford

K Pass is the future

Psyko Tek
10-06-2017, 10:15 PM
And we’re 4-0 with the toughest schedule in the NFL!

I read we were 4th toughest
the rest of the afc west has harder schedules, because the chiefs don't play the chiefs

Pasta Little Brioni
10-06-2017, 10:21 PM
Conley isn't a disappointment at all. He's at best the 4th option. It's Dee Ford.

Oh, and it's officially the Let it fly zone in Pile High.

NJChiefsFan
10-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Conley isn't a disappointment at all. He's at best the 4th option. It's Dee Ford.

Oh, and it's officially the Let it fly zone in Pile High.

Yeah I would say we need Dee Ford more than we need Conley.

KChiefs1
10-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Chris Conley > Dee Ford

l4z4rd
10-07-2017, 07:09 AM

once teams start stacking the box to stop Hunt, all the receivers will flourish.

Hammock Parties
10-07-2017, 09:45 AM

This is the NFL. Even Randy Moss had pedestrian games.

Hill is still having a major impact on the offense when he's out there. That's why the other guys are getting so wide open.

He's why Kelce can get single coverage on third and 14 and a clean release down the middle of the field for a 40 yard gain.