PDA

View Full Version : Misc Learnng a foreign langauge

notorious
10-09-2017, 02:48 PM
I am seeking input on what would be the best way to learn a foreign language, in my case Spanish.

I listen to the radio all day while working, and I figure I might as well make that time productive in another way.

I would also love an interactive app or entire program that will work over an Ipad, computer, etc.

In addition, I plan to attend local classes for direct interaction.

Any input is welcome. Gracias.

Dayze
10-09-2017, 02:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n2G3x0CF74I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dj56dt58
10-09-2017, 02:55 PM
You should try Learnng English first

notorious
10-09-2017, 02:55 PM
You should try Learnng English first

I know all the cuss words, so I am good to go.

Cornstock
10-09-2017, 03:00 PM
A combination of Rosetta Stone and intensive classroom work got me pretty proficient. Never tried the tapes.

SuperChief
10-09-2017, 03:07 PM
CP Inbreds (most people here): Lurn 'Merican first, idgit.

DaFace
10-09-2017, 03:12 PM
I've heard good things about Duolingo, but I can't speak to it myself.

threebag
10-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Hire a Spanish nanny, cook or housekeeper.

notorious
10-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Hire a Spanish nanny, cook or housekeeper.

A hot one would be best.

O.city
10-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Trump is president, why do you need to learn another language?

ptlyon
10-09-2017, 03:35 PM
A hot one would be best.

One that likes to get paid the old fashioned way, if ya know what I mean

TLO
10-09-2017, 03:36 PM
I've also thought of doing this. I figure I'd increase my earning potential at least to some extent in the field I'm in if I were even like 75% proficient.

TLO
10-09-2017, 03:39 PM
The only Spanish I've taken was in high school though, and I despised it. I think a lot of that was due to the teacher, but it defenitely wasn't something that came naturally to me like a number of other subjects.

Red Beans
10-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Get an eight ball of meth and two Hispanic hookers. 72 hours later, you'll be fluent.

BlackHelicopters
10-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Trump is president, why do you need to learn another language?

Heh

BlackHelicopters
10-09-2017, 03:42 PM
A hot one would be best.

This axiom applies to most situations. Get a hot one. Except beer.

eDave
10-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Date a Latina. You'll know all the cuss words real quick.

Buehler445
10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
yo pongo la madera

That is "I lay wood".

What else do you need in your case? :)

Bewbies
10-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Duolingo. Free app. Awesome.

RealSNR
10-09-2017, 03:51 PM
I dated a girl from Helsinki once.

It didn't work out. She did this weird thing when we had sex where she'd sternly scream at me, "I'M FINNISH! I'M FINNISH!"

Some kind of translation problem, maybe?

BlackHelicopters
10-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Learned a lot of Spanish in hs. Senor even taught us the cuss words. I’m 52. Still fluent enough for most conversations.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Get the google translate app on your smart phone.

My brother always used Rosetta stone for whatever country he was being deployed to and really liked it.

threebag
10-09-2017, 04:33 PM
A hot one would be best.

I didn't think of anything less :thumb:

Al Bundy
10-09-2017, 04:34 PM
I learned Icelandic, wasn't easy. I used some of Rosetta Stone and my girlfriend is Icelandic.

TLO
10-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Duolingo. Free app. Awesome.

I'm playing on it now. I now know the Spanish word for Apples and for bread.

Thanks Obama!

eDave
10-09-2017, 04:42 PM
I'm playing on it now. I now know the Spanish word for Apples and for bread.

Gracias Obama!

FYP

mdchiefsfan
10-09-2017, 05:34 PM
I am seeking input on what would be the best way to learn a foreign language, in my case Spanish.

I listen to the radio all day while working, and I figure I might as well make that time productive in another way.

I would also love an interactive app or entire program that will work over an Ipad, computer, etc.

I was a Russian linguist in the Army, and was fluent in 47 weeks. Immersion is key to learning a language. We were unable to speak English after 26 weeks. That is really difficult to accomplish, unless you have someone learning with you.

Listening/reading news teaches you how to identify key words, and piece the unknown information together. You wouldn’t think it, but newscasters are some of the fastest talkers. Adjust to them, and you will certainly pick up your average speaker.

Another excercise that really assisted in understanding the language was to define unknown words with the words I knew. We would have to describe an angel, without knowing the word “angel” to the best of our abilities. This is vital because, even though we are fluent in English, we don’t know every word. We just utilize the words we know to describe what we are experiencing. Keep this in mind when learning try your best to incorporate it as diversely as possible.

mdchiefsfan
10-09-2017, 05:37 PM
I learned Icelandic, wasn't easy. I used some of Rosetta Stone and my girlfriend is Icelandic.

We used Rosetta Stone as well. The ads stating used by the military... completely true.

Prison Bitch
10-09-2017, 05:38 PM
I taught myself how to read anther language at a 3rd grade level. Took online test to determine this.

Key: memorize the top 1000 words. They comprise 65% of the words spoken (by frequency). While the avg American knows 50-70K words, even we use the Top 1000 about 2/3 of all words we speak.

Know them cold.

AMDChief
10-09-2017, 05:47 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DNBpeyn9PD4/maxresdefault.jpg

Clyde Frog
10-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Get an eight ball of meth and two Hispanic hookers. 72 hours later, you'll be fluent.

Fluent in AIDS

lewdog
10-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Date a Latina. You'll know all the cuss words real quick.

eDave es Saca Punta!!!!!!!!

Sannyasi
10-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Duolingo is a good app. You should think about what you want to do with the language and practice that. If you want to have conversations, practice conversation. If you want to read, practice reading. Expose yourself to as much of the language as you can, and be sure to attend class. If you want something to listen to in your car you could try the Pimsleur Spanish audio course, its not perfect by any means but provided you are supplementing it with other materials or interaction then it can be a good resource.

BucEyedPea
10-09-2017, 09:31 PM
A combination of Rosetta Stone and intensive classroom work got me pretty proficient. Never tried the tapes.

Rosetta Stone is expensive. I got it for my daughter one Christmas 'cuz she wanted to learn Japanese. She thought it started out at too difficult a level. She finally learned it in college and how to write it too.

I would think Spanish would be easier—much easier.

Reerun_KC
10-09-2017, 09:34 PM
A hot one would be best.

Getting that past the Mrs isn't easy.

Ecto-I
10-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Ok I think I'm a pretty good case study for this. About two years ago, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish. I went with Duolingo. Now at first, I would do lessons as often as I could remember to pull out my phone and do them. But then I decided consistency is KING. So for about the last year and a half, I do at least 2 lessons per day (roughly 5-7mins) on duolingo. If I have free time, I'll do a little more.

But I'm literally at day 550 now without missing a single day. I do it every morning before getting out of bed.

The results? Well I've been to Mexico about 4 times this year and my Spanish is NIGHT AND DAY better than it was. I'm pretty functional and many of my native Spanish speaking friends are shocked that this is the result of an iPhone app.

But consistency is the key. Even just 5-7 mins a day will make a huge difference if you do it every day.

notorious
10-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Getting that past the Mrs isn't easy.

Maybe she will like it, too.

notorious
10-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Ok I think I'm a pretty good case study for this. About two years ago, I decided I wanted to learn Spanish. I went with Duolingo. Now at first, I would do lessons as often as I could remember to pull out my phone and do them. But then I decided consistency is KING. So for about the last year and a half, I do at least 2 lessons per day (roughly 5-7mins) on duolingo. If I have free time, I'll do a little more.

But I'm literally at day 550 now without missing a single day. I do it every morning before getting out of bed.

The results? Well I've been to Mexico about 4 times this year and my Spanish is NIGHT AND DAY better than it was. I'm pretty functional and many of my native Spanish speaking friends are shocked that this is the result of an iPhone app.

But consistency is the key. Even just 5-7 mins a day will make a huge difference if you do it every day.

Thanks!

I have tried Rosetta and Duolingo, and from my very limited experience Rosetta appears to be Understanding-level based while Dulingo is rote memory/knowledge level based.

I will use both. Rosetta to help me think in Spanish, and Duolingo to check anything I miss and clean up the rough edges.

Simply Red
10-10-2017, 10:15 AM
gracias

ptlyon
10-10-2017, 10:17 AM
Maybe she will like it, too.

Maybe she will get more than her floors cleaned

notorious
10-10-2017, 10:18 AM
gracias

estaremos bien

BlackHelicopters
10-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Nosotos creemos?

Simply Red
10-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Nosotos creemos?

OHH SOUNDS FUN!!!

gblowfish
10-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Nosotos creemos?
In Spanish does that mean "Shower in your Uniform?"

kccrow
10-10-2017, 11:14 AM
I've heard good things about Duolingo, but I can't speak to it myself.

I just recently started using it to start learning French. I'd say it's pretty decent. It pushes you into some shit right away and it can remind you to stay on top of it (which I sometimes don't). I think if I were a lot more dedicated, it'd be pretty damn good. I just run in spurts with it, unfortunately.

Eureka
10-10-2017, 11:25 AM
I just started Spanish1 at my local college. Most of the kids in the class have taken Spanish in HS and are there for the credits/review. I'm twice as old as they are and I struggle a bit more. I have been enjoying the class and my teacher is cool.

I have a test this evening.

gblowfish
10-10-2017, 11:27 AM
I just recently started using it to start learning French. I'd say it's pretty decent. It pushes you into some shit right away and it can remind you to stay on top of it (which I sometimes don't). I think if I were a lot more dedicated, it'd be pretty damn good. I just run in spurts with it, unfortunately.

I had French in High School, and about 15 hours in college. I just remember dirty phrases now. I could swear pretty well in French at one time.

suzzer99
10-10-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm trying to learn Spanish as well. I had a very good tutor - 4 hours class/week + homework + a test at the end of 3 weeks. I learned a ton in 6 weeks. Now I'm in a more low key class - 3 hours/week and I'm finally starting to get some of it. Vocab is still by far the hardest part for me.

Apps and podcasts are good, but no substitute for an interactive class or tutor imo.

BryanBusby
10-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Omlette du fromage

Simply Red
10-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Omlette du fromage

FUN!

TLO
10-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Yo como manzanas

TLO
10-10-2017, 12:09 PM
FUN!

simplemente rojo es sexy

and

simplemente rojo es alto en las drogas

Simply Red
10-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Omlette du fromage

Do you like Perkins?

kccrow
10-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Do you like Perkins?

LOL, nah he's quoting a meme that was very close to correct...

MahiMike
10-10-2017, 12:57 PM
I took a 6 week course on German before moving to Austria. Tapes and workbook were good. Nothing beats actually living there though.

BryanBusby
10-10-2017, 12:59 PM
LOL, nah he's quoting a meme that was very close to correct...
Omelette au fromage

notorious
10-10-2017, 01:01 PM
I took a 6 week course on German before moving to Austria. Tapes and workbook were good. Nothing beats actually living there though.

I live near two cities that are 60% Hispanic. Immersion should be easy to come by, and most people are pretty nice even if I am a gringo.

gblowfish
10-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Omlette du fromage

Those French have a different word for EVERYTHING!

BucEyedPea
10-10-2017, 01:59 PM

I started French at age 7 in Catholic School but it was mainly conversational expressions and some prayers. Had it 4 years of high-school and was my second major first two years of college at a Catholic College. When you can start thinking in the language without translating in your mind, that's when you're fluent. When I got drunk at parties, I would only speak French too. I could read novels and write it. Actually I read it better than I spoke it, as I found when in France. Did not know how to ask where the bathroom was. Had a French boyfriend while there who spoke no English. That helped too.

Never used it once I came home from Europe. So I have forgotten most of it.

BucEyedPea
10-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Do you like Perkins?

LMAO

That cracked me up! ROFL :clap:

BucEyedPea
10-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Those French have a different word for EVERYTHING!

They do?

BucEyedPea
10-10-2017, 02:02 PM

I used some tapes for German and Italian before I went to Europe. I found I could say a few things, but when the natives talked it was still impossible to understand. Natives speak so fast. I had that trouble with in France too. But I learned how to ask for a cigarette in German from some old WWII movie.

BigRichard
10-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Rosetta Stone.

ModSocks
10-10-2017, 02:32 PM
I've been with a hispanic woman for 10 years and I still don't speak it. /shrug

Rausch
10-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Rosetta Stone.

I tried for 4 years to study French/Spanish/Latin and none of it ever took. I remember saying "i can map a sentence, I can graph verbs and nouns and adverbs but I just want you to tell me how THEY lay it out. In what order do they do what we do."

"Just memorize the vocabulary."

scho63
10-11-2017, 09:52 AM

I took 6 years of Spanish in school and now need to relearn as my new company has most of the staff in Argentina.

I learned Mandarin Chinese beginning in 1995 with a private tutor. This was by far the best way to go and was not as expensive as you would think. This is my recommendation. :D

TLO
10-11-2017, 10:13 AM
I took 6 years of Spanish in school and now need to relearn as my new company has most of the staff in Argentina.

I learned Mandarin Chinese beginning in 1995 with a private tutor. This was by far the best way to go and was not as expensive as you would think. This is my recommendation. :D

I wonder what a private tutor would cost these days?

TLO
10-11-2017, 10:13 AM

Also- how long did it take you to get a solid grasp on the language?

PunkinDrublic
10-11-2017, 10:31 AM

I'm in Shenzhen, China taking a sabbatical for a year and teaching English. Chiefsplanet, totally comes in uncensored btw. I started taking Mandarin lessons recently. It's frustrating as hell trying to learn.

TimeForWasp
10-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Chinga to Madre pinche gringo

notorious
10-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Rosetta Stone is kicking ass right now. It cost 250 for 2 years including computer and tablet apps. The iPad app is sweet. It even listens through the microphone to make sure I am pronouncing words correctly!

TLO
10-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Rosetta Stone is kicking ass right now. It cost 250 for 2 years including computer and tablet apps. The iPad app is sweet. It even listens through the microphone to make sure I am pronouncing words correctly!

My fear on dropping that kind of money is that I'll use it for 2 weeks, get bored of it, then never use it again.

Eureka
10-11-2017, 11:58 AM
I'm in Shenzhen, China taking a sabbatical for a year and teaching English. Chiefsplanet, totally comes in uncensored btw. I started taking Mandarin lessons recently. It's frustrating as hell trying to learn.

My girlfriend speaks Cantonese and she is trying to teach me a few things. That is one tough language to learn. One slight off pronunciation and it means something totally different. Good luck!

Randallflagg
10-11-2017, 12:04 PM
When I was in the Army, they gave several of us "language tests" and three of us scored like in the upper 5 percentile. They sent us to the "Defense Language Institute" out in California.

I learned (basic) Russian, German and Polish (I was going to Germany after all..)

I recall the course being EXTREMELY intense, but you learned in a hurry. Hell, when I got to Mannheim (Germany) I could almost converse fluently in German. By the time I had been there 6 months, I WAS fluent. The folks there couldn't tell the difference between a "citizen" and me.

By the time I was stationed at the Embassy in Russia, I had nearly forgotten all the Russian I had learned - but it came back quickly.

kccrow
10-11-2017, 02:03 PM
I started French at age 7 in Catholic School but it was mainly conversational expressions and some prayers. Had it 4 years of high-school and was my second major first two years of college at a Catholic College. When you can start thinking in the language without translating in your mind, that's when you're fluent. When I got drunk at parties, I would only speak French too. I could read novels and write it. Actually I read it better than I spoke it, as I found when in France. Did not know how to ask where the bathroom was. Had a French boyfriend while there who spoke no English. That helped too.

Never used it once I came home from Europe. So I have forgotten most of it.

I've noticed it is kind of a dead language in the US but I live really close to Canada and we get quite a few travelers through from Quebec. I also have several friends that live in or near Montreal and while they speak English well enough for us to communicate well, I'd really like to learn much more. I'm also primarily French (about 85%), so it's a heritage thing as well that I'd love to be able to get my children interested in. My grandparents spoke it fluently on my dad's side but both died while I was quite young.

scho63
10-11-2017, 04:42 PM

I think in MANY larger areas and certainly in 99% of cities, you can find a private Spanish teacher for $15-$20 an hour.

notorious
10-11-2017, 04:47 PM
My fear on dropping that kind of money is that I'll use it for 2 weeks, get bored of it, then never use it again.

I am fortunate to own my own businesses. I can use my time however I need within reason.

scho63
10-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Also- how long did it take you to get a solid grasp on the language?

It took me TWO WEEKS just to get the four tones correct; flat tone, rising tone, diphthong, and drop tone. ( ba - ) ( ba / ) ( ba\/ ) ( ba\ )

They mean four differen things; the number 8, pulling out a root, father, target

I needed a tape recorder to finally realize I was doing it wrong.

The teacher was from Taiwan and she was very good and patient. I took lessons through the language institute in Red Bank NJ and then I took additional lessons in San Francisco with a private tutor that was a retired teacher of Chinese.

My break through came when I pictured my voice traveling down the highway and the tone would reflect the change in the level of the road. It was a weird way I was finally able to breakthrough and get it but it worked.

I took 4 years and was pretty damn good. I read, write and speak it at a level 4-5 of 10.

TRY THIS:
"My break through came when I pictured my voice traveling down the highway and the tone would reflect the change in the level of the road. It was a weird way I was finally able to breakthrough and get it but it worked."

My girlfriend speaks Cantonese and she is trying to teach me a few things. That is one tough language to learn. One slight off pronunciation and it means something totally different. Good luck!

If you learn Cantonese you are one smart SOB!

Mandarin is very hard but Cantonese is like trying to speak Martian, it is so fucking hard with 8 tones compared to 4 in Mandarin! Some of the tones are only throat sounds like trying to pronounce the name Ng. Also Cantonese have a habit of end all their sentences when speaking with a rising pitch.

Lot's of luck with that! :eek:

Line Judge
10-12-2017, 09:44 AM
I am enclosing a link to a website where you can download the complete Spanish course by the United States State department. It is used for their diplomats et. al. to learn foreign languages. It is free. It has hundreds of hours of oral lessons and drills in mp3 format. It also has the books that go with it in pdf format. I use another link for French and it is excellent. It makes you learn to talk fast because the time after the instructor speaks until you answer is short.
The way I use it is to burn the mp3 files on a DVD (or several CDs if DVDs will not work for you). I play it in my car and practice while I drive. I read the written lesson first so that I know what they are talking about.
There is nothing better. You can thank Line Judge when it works for you. Cut and paste this because I do not trust planet's underline system.
https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/FSI/fsi-spanish-basic.html

notorious
10-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Dude, you are awesome!

TLO
10-12-2017, 10:23 AM
I am enclosing a link to a website where you can download the complete Spanish course by the United States State department. It is used for their diplomats et. al. to learn foreign languages. It is free. It has hundreds of hours of oral lessons and drills in mp3 format. It also has the books that go with it in pdf format. I use another link for French and it is excellent. It makes you learn to talk fast because the time after the instructor speaks until you answer is short.
The way I use it is to burn the mp3 files on a DVD (or several CDs if DVDs will not work for you). I play it in my car and practice while I drive. I read the written lesson first so that I know what they are talking about.
There is nothing better. You can thank Line Judge when it works for you. Cut and paste this because I do not trust planet's underline system.

Wow. Thank you so much for this!

scho63
10-12-2017, 04:03 PM
I am enclosing a link to a website where you can download the complete Spanish course by the United States State department.

Most important question: Do they teach you all the curse words? :D

11Chiefs
10-14-2017, 08:46 AM

This is a treasure trove. I went to the home page and there are additional language studies from other government agencies. THANKS!