PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports USA NOT going to FIFA world cup for the first time since 1986.

TripleThreat
10-10-2017, 10:48 PM
:cuss::cuss:

The most popular sport world-wide, and the USA, just lost 2-1 to the worst team in qualifiers... All the USA needed to do, was tie or win, and they would be playing in the 2018 FIFA World cup hosted in Russia... They however lost to Trinidad and Tobago, a team that is complete and utter garbage, guess the USA was worse this year.

I for one, am very saddened about this. Football is my favorite sport, I watch it more than anything MLB, NHL, you name it, football is my go to sport to watch... However, once every 4 years, when the World Cup comes on, it is the only thing that trumps Football for me, so for me, I am really bummed about this outcome, and probably will be even more annoyed once the world cup rolls around next summer...

2010 - USA makes it to round of 16, off of an amazing Landon Donovan last second goal.

2014- USA makes it out of group of death, losses in Round of 16 again.

2017-18 qualifiers losses to a team that isn't even qualifying for the world cup...

I dont know how to upload a video here but if you want to see just how awesome it is coming together to root for the USA once every 4 years, click this link below. it shows non-soccer fans reactions to our country winning in 2010 making it to the round of 16..... It was amazing, and so was 2014...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

Why Not?
10-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Didn't deserve it. Played like garbage tonight and overall in the Hex. Lots of time to regroup for 2022. JFC, that's a long ways off.

TripleThreat
10-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Didn't deserve it. Played like garbage tonight and overall in the Hex. Lots of time to regroup for 2022. JFC, that's a long ways off.

thats what im saying... i'm 25, I guess ill get another maybe 11-12 more fifa world cups? if im lucky? Thats 11-12 trys at a dream of watching the USA win the most coveted cup in "futbol/soccers" existence.

if we win the SB this year though, Its really gonna help me with USA not being in the world cup next summer.

BigRedChief
10-10-2017, 11:08 PM
Sorry for your loss but you don't get to call soccer "football" on a Chiefs football board.

/jk

DaneMcCloud
10-10-2017, 11:10 PM
I’d be so bummed out if I actually gave a fuck about soccer

baitism
10-10-2017, 11:11 PM
thats what im saying... i'm 25, I guess ill get another maybe 11-12 more fifa world cups? if im lucky? Thats 11-12 trys at a dream of watching the USA win the most coveted cup in "futbol/soccers" existence.

if we win the SB this year though, Its really gonna help me with USA not being in the world cup next summer.

Honestly, just come to terms with the fact that the US will never win one.

BryanBusby
10-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Fuckin Trump

countdown to people getting serious over this in 3,2,1

Third Eye
10-10-2017, 11:21 PM
Sorry for your loss but you don't get to call soccer "football" on a Chiefs football board.

/jk

Then I guess it's a good thing that he didn't.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-10-2017, 11:21 PM
What do you expect from a bunch of athletes that couldn't hack it in other sports in this country?

HIChief
10-10-2017, 11:30 PM
You mentioned football and trump in one sentence! Boycott the Russian World Cup! America leads the world! Make America great again!

Pasta Little Brioni
10-10-2017, 11:31 PM
And?

Chief Pagan
10-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Reset countdown.

****in Trump

countdown to people getting serious over this in 3,2,1

There's Russian collusion in there somewhere.

Restart countdown.

ClevelandBronco
10-11-2017, 12:13 AM
I'll bet we couldn't even beat Trinidad OR Tobago, let alone both of them.

Or both of it.

Whatever the hell them is.

Titty Meat
10-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Good. Soccer is gay.

BWillie
10-11-2017, 03:08 AM
The country they lost to is smaller than the kansas city area population.

By far.

wazu
10-11-2017, 04:32 AM
The country they lost to is smaller than the kansas city area population.

By far.

Gotta think we could've pulled a team together from CP members alone and at least done better than this.

Bob Dole
10-11-2017, 04:32 AM
Iceland qualified.

Jimmya
10-11-2017, 04:57 AM
I've been hearing for the last 15 years "soccer is safer and will overtake football in the US"..... Lol... Not for a Looooong time

KCUnited
10-11-2017, 05:31 AM
This just set the sport back 2 years in America.

wazu
10-11-2017, 06:47 AM
This just set the sport back 2 years in America.

Did you mean to say decades?

Jewish Rabbi
10-11-2017, 06:48 AM
I don’t understand the people that are happy about this. I know some people don’t like soccer, but why would you want the USA to lose in anything? I don’t care about 99% of the Olympic Sports, but you know damn right I’m rooting for the USA.

duncan_idaho
10-11-2017, 07:05 AM
I generally don't care about soccer, though watching the World Cup is fun for the spectacle.

I think most of those who are finding humor in this are those who are annoyed by the fragile soccer bros...

You know the type...

The guys who get shrill if you suggest is a tertiary sport in the US, at best, or that calling the MlS a professional league and trying to place it on par with NFL, MLB, etc. is laughable, etc.

You know, the Nate Bukaty's of the world.

I got a chuckle from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiefnj2
10-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Even if they qualified they would disappoint.

If you want to watch winning US soccer watch the women.

tx4chiefs
10-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Now all the men should "identify as women" and move the ladies team and kick ass!

Spott
10-11-2017, 07:29 AM
I don’t understand the people that are happy about this. I know some people don’t like soccer, but why would you want the USA to lose in anything? I don’t care about 99% of the Olympic Sports, but you know damn right I’m rooting for the USA.

Because we don't need to win at everything. We already have the best of all the major sports, so being crappy at soccer isn't that big of a deal.

BlackHelicopters
10-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Soccer? What?

wazu
10-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Is it possible to just annex Trinidad and use their team?

Pasta Little Brioni
10-11-2017, 09:00 AM
But did they stand for the anthem?

gblowfish
10-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Good.
I hate soccer.

Deberg_1990
10-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Honest question: How does this happen? Are our top American players not playing?

m80mayhem
10-11-2017, 09:25 AM
"Since 1986" kind of loses its luster when you realize it means we are breaking of streak of 7 straight WC. It's not like we have been to 30+ as the headline unknowingly suggests to many not in the know.

ModSocks
10-11-2017, 09:45 AM
I can't figure out how this country managed to be that fucking awful. I understand not being great at it, but to not even qualify?

ModSocks
10-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Good.
I hate soccer.

Doesn't matter if you like soccer or not, it's a global embarrassment.

You may not like soccer but the rest of the world is watching and laughing at the pathetic U.S team.

I don't care for soccer either. I only watch the World Cup. I guess not this time.

wazu
10-11-2017, 09:52 AM
I don't care about soccer but I demand that we be good at it.

Deberg_1990
10-11-2017, 09:53 AM
I don't care about soccer but I demand that we be good at it.

Heh. Right.

Nobody cares about it until we suck at it.

ChiTown
10-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Heh. Right.

Nobody cares about it until we suck at it.

Well, let's be honest, we haven't really killed it in WC play....like ever. Our best showing was a 3rd place trophy in 1930. Beyond that, we've only made it to the quarterfinals 1 time in the last 30 fucking years. USA Soccer has always been pretty marginal. This last qualifying period, they've just been epically shitty.

BWillie
10-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Are there any up and coming stars? Like 15 or 16 year old kids that have all the potential but just not good enough for the big time? I do not follow soccer but i am stunned they did not qualify. It had seemed that soccer was becoming really big in the US over the last 8 years. Weird that doesnt translate into a larger talent pool of players for the USMNT to choose from.

ChiTown
10-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Are there any up and coming stars? Like 15 or 16 year old kids that have all the potential but just not good enough for the big time? I do not follow soccer but i am stunned they did not qualify. It had seemed that soccer was becoming really big in the US over the last 8 years. Weird that doesnt translate into a larger talent pool of players for the USMNT to choose from.

Christian Pulisic is a 19 year old superstar that we just fucking wasted. He won't get a chance at a WC again until he's 23. USMNST needs to be blown the fuck up and put into the hands of people that understand how to compete in World Soccer play. To get beat by T&T last night is a completely unforgivable sin.

duncan_idaho
10-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Christian Pulisic is a 19 year old superstar that we just fucking wasted. He won't get a chance at a WC again until he's 23. USMNST needs to be blown the fuck up and put into the hands of people that understand how to compete in World Soccer play. To get beat by T&T last night is a completely unforgivable sin.

To compete, don't you need about 5-6 players of Pulisic's level?

Until the US system is producing that, don't know what blowing it up at the highest levels accomplishes.

Isn't it going to take someone like Klinsman dedicated a generation to developing the feeder system, and using that to engage soccer players from a wider pool (since right now it's largely middle class or higher kids who WANT to go to college and aren't attracted to the academy approach so popular in Europe?)

Beef Supreme
10-11-2017, 10:32 AM
To compete, don't you need about 5-6 players of Pulisic's level?

Until the US system is producing that, don't know what blowing it up at the highest levels accomplishes.

Isn't it going to take someone like Klinsman dedicated a generation to developing the feeder system, and using that to engage soccer players from a wider pool (since right now it's largely middle class or higher kids who WANT to go to college and aren't attracted to the academy approach so popular in Europe?)

Also need a program in place to teach kids how to flop for a red card.

Eleazar
10-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Wow, that's pathetic.

The World Cup had done a lot for interest in soccer in this country, it's too bad that the national team isn't at a world class level anymore.

CaliforniaChief
10-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Cowherd just roasted US Soccer this morning. Said they should change the logo of US Soccer to a mom waiting in her minivan with orange slices and juice boxes.

PunkinDrublic
10-11-2017, 10:41 AM
How come they hired the same retread coach after they fired the German guy? Makes no sense.

Eleazar
10-11-2017, 10:42 AM
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-worst-loss-in-the-history-of-u-s-mens-soccer/

The Worst Loss In The History Of U.S. Men’s Soccer

No one still believes that we will win.

On Tuesday night, it all fell apart for the U.S. men’s national soccer team. A seven tournament, 24-year streak of consecutive World Cup berths was snapped in cartoonishly heartbreaking fashion.

Coming into the match, American fans were rightfully confident. All it would take to qualify for the World Cup was a win or a tie against Trinidad and Tobago, a team that had nothing to play for but pride and only one win in nine matches in the final qualifying group. And even if somehow the U.S. lost, Honduras and Panama would both need victories over the top two teams in the group, Mexico and Costa Rica, to complete the elimination. If the USMNT lost and only one of Honduras or Panama won, the US would be headed for a playoff against Australia. By ESPN’s Soccer Power Index, the United States had a 93 percent chance of reaching its eighth consecutive World Cup.

Then the U.S. conceded two goals in the first half — first an own goal and then a blistering 35-yard strike — despite giving up little in the way of high-quality chances. And despite a halftime switch to bring on Clint Dempsey and line up two attackers behind strikers Bobby Wood and Jozy Altidore, the U.S. could not create the chances to level the score. USMNT fans could only watch in horror, and Panama and Honduras both clawed back first-half deficits to knock the U.S. out of World Cup qualification.

Looking only at World Cup matches and qualifiers, it was the worst loss in USMNT’s history based on the Elo rating system. Going into the game, Elo gave the U.S. an 83 percent chance of beating Trinidad and Tobago, making the Americans huge favorites even after accounting for the fact that they were playing on the road. Going back to 1885, the American men had never lost a match at that level when they had such a high probability of winning. And it came with all the chips on the table.

Reerun_KC
10-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Even if they qualified they would disappoint.

If you want to watch winning US soccer watch the women.

Oh believe me. Rarely miss WC women's games.

BlackHelicopters
10-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Oh believe me. Rarely miss WC women's games.

Try not to miss any Women’s WC games. US games used to have Alex Morgan , a Royals fan. She might be a mean drunk though........

TripleThreat
10-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Because we don't need to win at everything. We already have the best of all the major sports, so being crappy at soccer isn't that big of a deal.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world outside of America. Here obviously it takes a back seat to NFL/MLB/NBA in terms of viewership on a TV set... But soccer is very popular when talking about kids playing certain sports, its just simply not watched at a professional level here in the states...

In europe and throughout the world, Soccer to them is like our football.... So to me, YES I would love to kick the entire world's ass with our team... frankly wont get another chance for roughly 5 more years now.

Beef Supreme
10-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Soccer is the most popular sport in the world outside of America. Here obviously it takes a back seat to NFL/MLB/NBA in terms of viewership on a TV set... But soccer is very popular when talking about kids playing certain sports, its just simply not watched at a professional level here in the states...

In europe and throughout the world, Soccer to them is like our football.... So to me, YES I would love to kick the entire world's ass with our team...frankly wont get another chance for roughly 5 more years now.

Frankly, we haven't ever had a chance. And it's not changing anytime soon.

TripleThreat
10-11-2017, 01:58 PM
How come they hired the same retread coach after they fired the German guy? Makes no sense.

Seen this too..... :shake:

Deberg_1990
10-11-2017, 02:07 PM

In europe and throughout the world, Soccer to them is like our football.... So to me, YES I would love to kick the entire world's ass with our team... frankly wont get another chance for roughly 5 more years now.

Most of our country countries top athletes play other sports. That's one of soccers biggest problems in this country

TripleThreat
10-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Most of our country countries top athletes play other sports. That's one of soccers biggest problems in this country

thats a really good point to be honest... Because other countries funnel everything into soccer, we are funneling so much talent into so many other areas.... Never really thought about it that way.

Iowanian
10-11-2017, 02:26 PM
The only thing the United States should ever lose to Trinidad in is number of deaths of cholera/dysentery/coconut crab bites.

but it's soccer so this loss doesn't really count anyway.

hometeam
10-11-2017, 02:38 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/be/9e/07/be9e07d54122afe4f19b84ed0e0fdae6.jpg

FloridaMan88
10-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Good... much easier to ignore the boring, worthless sport that is soccer.

Chief Pagan
10-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Also need a program in place to teach kids how to flop for a red card.

Can't the NBA coaches handle those duties?

Chief Pagan
10-11-2017, 05:40 PM

I'm sure things like that will help.

However, in most of the rest of the soccer crazy world, kids are kicking soccer balls around the living room as soon as they can walk and dribbling balls to and from school and everywhere else they go.

That just doesn't happen on the same scale in this country. Even soccer mom kids aren't, for the most part, focused on it like in other countries. I'm sure there are exceptions, but until it becomes a bigger norm, I think the US is going to have a hard time competing.

I'm rather indifferent. I enjoyed playing as a kid, but I don't think it is that enjoyable of a spectator sport. In some ways, I would rather the US be indifferent than to take it really seriously and still come up short on the international stage.

Black Bob
10-11-2017, 06:14 PM
They didn't deserve. They have sucked and regressed for a while. Klinsman didn't develop a center midfielder, a goalkeeper, or a forward for the future. Bradley should have been off the team after the last World Cup. I am disappointed but, truthfully we suck.

Black Bob
10-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Frankly, we haven't ever had a chance. And it's not changing anytime soon.

I'd give it 20 years. The concussion issue will spark a massive surge of soccer talent in the USA. Kids will chose soccer over football.

alanm
10-11-2017, 07:11 PM
I'd give it 20 years. The concussion issue will spark a massive surge of soccer talent in the USA. Kids will chose soccer over football.The big money is in baseball and basketball. :D

Demonpenz
10-11-2017, 10:11 PM
people get concussiona in soccer as well

BigRedChief
10-11-2017, 10:15 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/be/9e/07/be9e07d54122afe4f19b84ed0e0fdae6.jpg

Has Hillary Clinton been blamed for the US men failing to make the World Cup yet?

listopencil
10-11-2017, 10:41 PM
It's my fault. I didn't clap hard enough. Fuck me.

listopencil
10-11-2017, 10:42 PM
people get concussiona in soccer as well

People get blowjobs under the stands at soccer games as well.

Beef Supreme
10-12-2017, 09:29 AM
FOX paid $400 million for the rights to air the World Cup.

Fish
10-12-2017, 09:31 AM

LMAO........

Pasta Little Brioni
10-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Why would anyone want a team that lost to Trinidad in the damn thing?

notorious
10-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Ouch

BWillie
10-12-2017, 10:34 AM

hahahahahh

wazu
10-12-2017, 12:42 PM

No idea how that works. Is it a global deal or just U.S.?

Beef Supreme
10-12-2017, 01:35 PM
No idea how that works. Is it a global deal or just U.S.?

I have no idea either. I just read the headline, and didn't give enough of a shit to read the article.

Predarat
10-13-2017, 09:36 AM
He sacked himself, someone should have got to it when the clock hit 90+5 (US Football equivalent of 00:00) but in any event

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/392/026/21b.jpg

DJ's left nut
10-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Eh. Take out our top athletes and the US still has more than enough athleticism to compete. Our second tier athletes can hang with Germany's top.

That's a bit of a cop-out. We just lost to Trinidad and Tobago and it had nothing to do with the level of skill on the field. The US 'junior varsity' athletes are still easily among the top 8 most athletic pools in the world yet we never get that far.

This is a developmental problem. We're losing on basic skills because youth soccer programs are teaching kids to play to a system rather than learn how to develop universal skills. People want a shortcut and an excuse; "well if we had Russell Westbrook and LeBron James we'd be fine..." Nope - we'd still be coaching those players into a box and stunting them.

Our athletes aren't the problem. Our approach is.

DJ's left nut
10-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Has Hillary Clinton been blamed for the US men failing to make the World Cup yet?

Really? The perpetual loser that's done nothing but blame others for her failings and she's the one you're white knighting right now?

You really suck at politics, man. Near as I can tell, nobody's blaming Hillary for anything because she's, y'know, irrelevant. It's Hillary that's been doing all the blaming for her obvious shortcomings.

BigRedChief
10-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Really? The perpetual loser that's done nothing but blame others for her failings and she's the one you're white knighting right now?

You really suck at politics, man. Near as I can tell, nobody's blaming Hillary for anything because she's, y'know, irrelevant. It's Hillary that's been doing all the blaming for her obvious shortcomings.It was a joke.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7a/6e/4b/7a6e4bd14c992dfdb9d2577aedaac1ae--log-stripes.jpg

Rausch
10-13-2017, 09:46 AM
:cuss::cuss:

The most popular sport world-wide, and the USA, just lost 2-1 to the worst team in qualifiers...

:facepalm:

It was only 8 years ago we were pressing for the finals.

Fuck...

Rausch
10-13-2017, 09:47 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/392/026/21b.jpg

US deserves that...

Eleazar
10-13-2017, 09:56 AM

You really suck at politics, man. Near as I can tell, nobody's blaming Hillary for anything because she's, y'know, irrelevant. It's Hillary that's been doing all the blaming for her obvious shortcomings.

Is at this moment promoting an entire book blaming everyone under the sun but herself for her failings, amirite

Eleazar
10-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Eh. Take out our top athletes and the US still has more than enough athleticism to compete. Our second tier athletes can hang with Germany's top.

That's a bit of a cop-out. We just lost to Trinidad and Tobago and it had nothing to do with the level of skill on the field. The US 'junior varsity' athletes are still easily among the top 8 most athletic pools in the world yet we never get that far.

This is a developmental problem. We're losing on basic skills because youth soccer programs are teaching kids to play to a system rather than learn how to develop universal skills. People want a shortcut and an excuse; "well if we had Russell Westbrook and LeBron James we'd be fine..." Nope - we'd still be coaching those players into a box and stunting them.

Our athletes aren't the problem. Our approach is.

I hope this isn't as big a setback for soccer in the United States as one would fear that it might be.

There's going to be a whole decade of kids who will have never seen, or never been old enough to really appreciate, the USMNT playing in a WC. Assuming they even qualify for 2022.

DJ's left nut
10-13-2017, 10:32 AM
I hope this isn't as big a setback for soccer in the United States as one would fear that it might be.

There's going to be a whole decade of kids who will have never seen, or never been old enough to really appreciate, the USMNT playing in a WC. Assuming they even qualify for 2022.

I don't expect it will be if for no other reason than I don't think the WC has ever been as big a boost for American Soccer as people claim it will be.

A quarter century after we hosted the WC we're literally exactly where we started. The USMNT isn't going to be what makes soccer a thing here. It's 3 games with an occasional 4th that they often play mid-day. A month after the last WC, how many people still cared about with Tim Howard was up to?

If soccer's going to catch on in the US, people have to start caring about things like the Gold Cup. Or it will have to spring up from regional followings in MLS to become something of a national movement.

The biggest impact will be the loss of the tens of millions of dollars that could've been funneled into the US Developmental programs. But frankly, if this forces a shakeup in training/development, the lost revenue will be worth it. All that money was going to do was prop up a flawed system anyway.

The WC isn't an organic growth thing; it's just a shot if nitrous for a 4-banger that's not firing on every cylinder anyway. If not getting that boost means they put in a nice shiny V8 next time, US Soccer will be better for it.