PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Creating cap space for shoring up defense for 2018

bigjosh
10-21-2017, 12:52 AM
I know it is looking way into the future, and neglecting 2017, but I was interested to see what kind of cap figures we could get into for 2018.

According to over the cap, the Chiefs are set to be .9M over the cap at the start of league year 2018.

This figure includes a dead money figure of 4.8M for Jeremy Maclin, and a dead money figure of .77M for Jah Reid.

There are a few players who I think have little to no chance of being on the roster next season.

Alex smith, with a cap figure of 20.6M if cut or traded would save 17M on the cap, and cost us 3.6M in dead money.

DJ, as much as I hate to say it, is done. Ending his 10.2M contract in 2018 saves 8M and leaves us with 2.2M in dead money.

Tamba Hali has a cap number of 8.5M in 2018 and would cost us 1.5M in dead money but save us 7M if cut.

So after those three we are at roughly 31.1M in cap space.

We have no big name free agents next year that we should be too concerned with resigning. I am guessing we pick up Marcus Peters 5th year option, which will keep him on the roster through the 2019 season. Dee Fords option was picked up earlier this off season and he will be a UFA at the start of the 2019 league year.

I dont think too many of our free agents stick around after this year.

Perhaps we resign Albert Wilson, Anthony Sherman, Terrence Mitchell and Zack Fulton. Those deals shouldnt cost much more than 10M I would hope. This year combined these four players account for less than 7.5M. Maybe we resign a couple low end UFA and RFA to tenders.

So realistically we could have 21M going into free agency.

I dont know if anyone here considers Allen Bailey and Ron Parker as potential cap casualties, but Bailey would save us another 6M and Ron parker would save us another 5M.

So without those two we could be sitting pretty at 32M in cap space prior to FA with the re signings of the players mentioned before.

Players I am looking at in free agency are:

Safety Kenny Vaccaro of the saints,

ILB Todd Davis of the broncos,

ILB Zach Brown of the redskins,

CB Morris Claiborne of the jets,

These guys aren't considered "top tier" free agents, but I think each one of them could come into this defense and be an immediate upgrade for a decent deal.

I would also be looking for a 3-4 DT or DE if there were any available that were worth a shit.

That being said, with the probable release of DJ and Hali and the group of pending free agents along the D Line, if it becomes necessary to switch to a 4-3 with a new DC, this would be a decent year to do it.

What do you think guys? How can we get this defense shored up prior to the draft?

cooper barrett
10-21-2017, 01:50 AM
Peter's? really, After how he played against the Raiders? Yeah right. He may come back to us if we fire Sutton now but if after the 1 wild card game we play, I'd say he is off to Oakland or someone else who want the stench. He's worth something in trade. Isf he really wants to play with Berry next year, he better step up and become our defensive MVP in 2017 and not some corner god that can't be bothered by tackling..

Everyone says Hali is too slow and will be cut next year but where is he now? If he were to come back strong and give us a pass rush he may get a spot but if not 110% he is gone.

Schnitzel
10-21-2017, 01:54 AM
Peter's? really, After how he played against the Raiders? Yeah right. He may come back to us if we fire Sutton now but if after the 1 wild card game we play, I'd say he is off to Oakland or someone else who want the stench. He's worth something in trade. Isf he really wants to play with Berry next year, he better step up and become our defensive MVP in 2017 and not some corner god that can't be bothered by tackling..

Everyone says Hali is too slow and will be cut next year but where is he now? If he were to come back strong and give us a pass rush he may get a spot but if not 110% he is gone.

You keep Peters, because he will still be better value for money than any other corner we can get (except maybe from a rookie), considering he will still be on his rookie deal

penbrook
10-21-2017, 01:56 AM

Peters was only targeted twice last game however his tackling blows. Deion Lote

cooper barrett
10-21-2017, 02:34 AM
He's excellent in late hits, unsportsmanlike conduct and DPI. And yeah, tackling is beneath him. He has trade value so unless he decides he is doing to play hard for Sutton he's expendable.. it would be great to have him and Berry together but Peters wants a new contract and probably Berry kind of cash.

I think he played with a chip on his shoulder after being called out for sideline antics last week with Sutton.

kccrow
10-21-2017, 03:02 AM
I really wanted Brown last year and the Chiefs didn't even sniff in his general direction. I wouldn't expect it... I will say, all of Washington's inside backers are FA's next year, including Foster and Compton (the starter prior to Brown coming in), and they have a shitload of FAs to sign so Brown might not be retained. He's the one guy I'd spend a bit of money on at ILB, but he's not going to call the defense for you. More on Washington, not only do they have to decide on what to do at QB, but they have to decide what to do with Trent Murphy at OLB, Shawn Lauvao at LG, Spencer Long at C, Bashaud Breeland at CB, and Deshazor Elliott at SS. If they let Trent Murphy walk, I'd go hard after him. He might be coming off an ACL, but he looked really good in 2016.

Vaccaro might cost a few bucks, he's been pretty damn productive. That, and safeties don't come as cheap as they used to. I bet he gets 12 per.

Never been all that high on Claiborne so I'd probably take a pass here. It's difficult to get marked improvement at CB without spending significant coin in FA. If Vontae Davis comes cheap enough, then that would be the guy I'd look at. Other than that, probably looking at needing to take one early in the draft.

I'd have to think Denver is going to not try and repeat their mistakes at ILB and try to retain Davis.

LB Michael Wilhoite, if he wants to come home, wouldn't be a bad low-key signing on a 1 or 2 year deal IMO. He's a fundamentally sound player that could certainly help the young guys play assignment football. He was always solid for the 49ers at ILB.

The Packers have alot of important free agents to sign, so they are going to have to be choosy. Quinton Dial is a guy that could also be a nice low-key signing for a low salary at NT given that he chose to be a back-up there after looking pretty damn good as a 3-4 nose in San Fran.

Beau Allen of the Eagles is also a solid NT type that would be a good signing on the cheaper end of the spectrum. He's not going to get you sacks, but he's a tough run defender.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Elidigwe will take a ILB spot next year. He's going to be a stud sooner rather than later. Then we have Ragland and Pierre Louis to fill in. A top tier corner is needed and a change in Suttons scheme.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Davis is a dog turd

bigjosh
10-21-2017, 09:57 AM
The peters shit is pretty much not a question. He is under contract through the 2018 season, with an option to pick up 2019. If we picked up the Dee Ford option I am fairly certain they will pick up peters. As of right now, if we trade Peters this year or next we eat his whole salary anyway. Might as well keep a perennial pro bowl corner still on his rookie contract mmmmkay?

GloucesterChief
10-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Cut or retire Hali and DJ.
Cut Ford.

That should free up some space.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Man.. the panic on here is real.

I get it, it was a super shitty week. No doubt. But I firmly believe that KC has the players in the building right now to right the ship defensively. This isn't a personnel issue completely, this is a scheme issue and Bob Sutton needs to fix it by Denver in 9 days.

Every team has warts.. ours are fixable right now. Reinforcements are on the way.

Coogs
10-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Looking at this:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/

...there are a lot of moves the Chiefs could make and save cap space.

RunKC
10-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Part ways with DJ and Tamba

Extend KPL and Logan.

In FA they need to find the best cover corner available. That's what I want to spend our money on. I would have zero problem discussing a trade for Richard Sherman if we get a high pick for Alex.

RealSNR
10-21-2017, 11:27 AM

Oakland? Why? Is he going to play fucking baseball?

If you mean the Raiders, he has to go to LAS VEGAS.

Jesus Christ. Get it through your fucking skulls people. Marcus Peters has a loyalty to OAKLAND. Not LAS VEGAS. Where he would have to ACTUALLY FUCKING PLAY if he wanted to play for the Raiders.

RealSNR
10-21-2017, 11:28 AM

I get it, it was a super shitty week. No doubt. But I firmly believe that KC has the players in the building right now to right the ship defensively. This isn't a personnel issue completely, this is a scheme issue and Bob Sutton needs to fix it by Denver in 9 days.

Every team has warts.. ours are fixable right now. Reinforcements are on the way.

Bob Sutton is an old and confused man. He won't change anything.

Hammock Parties
10-21-2017, 11:33 AM
I firmly believe that KC has the players in the building right now to right the ship defensively.

LMAO

Eric Murray just made Jared Cook look like Rob Gronkowski.

The talent just isn't there.

RunKC
10-21-2017, 11:37 AM
We are all overreacting to Eric Murray right now. The fact is he has done a nice job overall. He's had one horrible game but has been a pretty decent player in the other 6 games.

Reerun_KC
10-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Bob Sutton is an old and confused man. He won't change anything.

It’s strange it’s taken CP 5 years to see what most has seen about Sutton since he arrived

fan4ever
10-21-2017, 12:56 PM

A secondary where players don't tackle, don't hit, and play soft while committing several dpi calls a game isn't exactly a scheme issue.

Couch-Potato
10-21-2017, 07:57 PM
I'm wondering if we could trade Alex for players to get better value than a 2nd? Say we traded him to the Jags, maybe we could get one of their WRs (Robinson?) or CBs (Bouye?) + a late round pick? or maybe to the Browns for the rights to Gordon + a mid round pick? Dolphins for Landry and a pick?

I'm thinking it might be better to get an established talent plus a long shot on a 5th or 6th round pick rather than just one decent shot at a second, although an early second is basically like a first so maybe not.

Side note: anyone ever notice how much A Robinson and AJ Bouye look alike? it's weird.

http://www.nfl.com/player/allenrobinson/2543509/profile

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16562/aj-bouye

penbrook
10-21-2017, 08:20 PM
I'm wondering if we could trade Alex for players to get better value than a 2nd? Say we traded him to the Jags, maybe we could get one of their WRs (Robinson?) or CBs (Bouye?) + a late round pick? or maybe to the Browns for the rights to Gordon + a mid round pick? Dolphins for Landry and a pick?

I'm thinking it might be better to get an established talent plus a long shot on a 5th or 6th round pick rather than just one decent shot at a second, although an early second is basically like a first so maybe not.

Side note: anyone ever notice how much A Robinson and AJ Bouye look alike? it's weird.

Gordon will about to be a free agent. He’s not even re instated yet.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-21-2017, 08:24 PM
A secondary where players don't tackle, don't hit, and play soft while committing several dpi calls a game isn't exactly a scheme issue.

Partly. But we're not doing the secondary any favors from a schematic standpoint. We play 70% man coverage roughly. We rush 3 defenders far more than most teams, if not all. That's not a good mix. You are expecting your guys to cover for a long time when you do that. The defense has been so predictable too, and that's fine if your talent is enough to carry you past offenses anyways, but that's clearly not the case for them this year.

RealSNR
10-21-2017, 09:03 PM

Alex will get a 1st round pick. With that pick, take a legit defensive player at any position. Quit reaching for workout warriors who need development.

Find a Marcus Peters. Or a TJ Watt. Somebody who will instantly contribute. Tell Dee Fords and Tanoh Kpassagnons to go fuck their mothers.

mcaj22
10-21-2017, 09:10 PM
they do need to stop reaching for all these developmental guys they think they can coach up. I get the coaching is really good but too many projects, like what they have now, mixed in with regression veterans is a disaster. Just take a couple blue chippers and be done with it.

Every ILBer besides DJ is a project they think they can coach up and they are all terrible. Hence why theres nobody in the middle of the defense that can stop the run or cover the pass at LBer. DJs replacement should have been here years ago and they got too cute with all these bums.

O.city
10-21-2017, 09:13 PM
they do need to stop reaching for all these developmental guys they think they can coach up. I get the coaching is really good but too many projects, like what they have now, mixed in with regression veterans is a disaster. Just take a couple blue chippers and be done with it.

Every ILBer besides DJ is a project they think they can coach up and they are all terrible. Hence why theres nobody in the middle of thr defense that can stop the run or cover the pass at LBer. DJs replacement should have been here years ago and they got too cute with all these bums.

Where are they supposed to get these blue chippers?

penbrook
10-21-2017, 09:14 PM

Every ILBer besides DJ is a project they think they can coach up and they are all terrible. Hence why theres nobody in the middle of the defense that can stop the run or cover the pass at LBer. DJs replacement should have been here years ago and they got too cute with all these bums.

DJs replacement was here years ago but he killed himself

cooper barrett
10-21-2017, 09:15 PM

If Alex11 doesn't start producing a TD a quarter, (not almost interceptions that were tipped into a players hands) he will not bring you the trade value of a Diesel VW!

mcaj22
10-21-2017, 09:15 PM

theres this thing in the NFL called the offseason and it has a Free Agency and a Draft you should check it out.

chiefzilla1501
10-21-2017, 09:16 PM
It’s strange it’s taken CP 5 years to see what most has seen about Sutton since he arrived

Our defense has been mostly very good under Sutton. This year it's been off. But it hasn't been off for 5 years. Not even close.

mcaj22
10-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Our defense has been mostly very good under Sutton. This year it's been off. But it hasn't been off for 5 years. Not even close.

thats because the veterans are now regression canidates and the young players arent good enough to fill the void.

add in a couple salary cap disaster contracts where guys are playing way below of what they were extended for, you get this years current defense

RealSNR
10-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Not from fucking Villanova, that's for sure.

mcaj22
10-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Not from ****ing Villanova, that's for sure.

haha I mean a 2nd round pick on a developmental project I would have probably rathered Dexter McCluster part 2 instead

GloucesterChief
10-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Ford is a liability in the run game and had half a good season rushing the QB. He can be cut and is a bust.

All In
10-21-2017, 10:01 PM

Exactly! The players are there. The scheme is not.

cooper barrett
10-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Easier said on a Internet board then done in real life.

1st, You have to get a 1st pick out of Alex11:rolleyes: and as of now, even I am doubting he has "IT" no less being able to convince someone to give us a first pick for him.

If you look at "earned" TDs by the offense the last couple of weeks it looks poor, Shitty actually. Because of not scoring a TD a quarter minimum, Alex11 has left us having to "pull a win out of our ass" in the last part of the 4th quarter. We should be able to put games away not pray we get the chance to save it.

Alex is not playing at a level to beat the Raiders no less Denver. We need Andy and his cronies to get a pile of blow and schemes up a plan for both offense and defense that ****ing works.

You do realize the we maybe sitting on top of the AFC now but a loss will put us in 3rd on Monday...

We are projecting a 12-4 record at best, 11-5 is more like it. That's a wild card game depending on how the Broncos and the Raiders do against us and each other in round 2 of the season.

The odds of moving up in the playoffs don't look good as I would say either Pittsburgh or New England, whom ever comes first, will take us out if we get past the wild card game. We have to beat one of them IMHO to reach our goal of equaling what Montana did so many years ago.

We have to beat both of them in the playoffs to play in the big game. Yeah, like that's happening!!!

Are going to tell me that Alex11 will not be worth anything but a VW Deisel or an outright release when we play 11-5 ball and can't even get to, no less win, a "real" playoff game.

f you were a GM would you spend big bucks and a 1st round pick for Alex11 at this point in the season?

Really, convince me. I am your president and CEO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/RPiaB7z4ehY?start=2" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alex will get a 1st round pick. With that pick, take a legit defensive player at any position. Quit reaching for workout warriors who need development.

Find a Marcus Peters. Or a TJ Watt. Somebody who will instantly contribute. Tell Dee Fords and Tanoh Kpassagnons to go **** their mothers.

BryanBusby
10-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Dee Ford can fetch you a mid round pick and I would make that move.

DJ and Hali need to go. Allen Bailey has been garbo and should be released. Bennie Logan should walk.

TambaBerry
10-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Funny saying the players are in the building. The reason Sutton is only rushing three players is because of our shitty personnel. They can't cover for longer than half a second

New World Order
10-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Cut:

Alex (trade)

DJ

Tamba

Bailey

Harris

That's about 38 million

penbrook
10-21-2017, 10:52 PM

DJ and Hali need to go. Allen Bailey has been garbo and should be released. Bennie Logan should walk.

This is Fords last year

bigjosh
10-21-2017, 11:03 PM
This is Fords last year

No it isnt, his 2018 option was picked up this offseason.

Chief Roundup
10-21-2017, 11:03 PM

Cut:

Alex (trade)

DJ

Tamba

Bailey

Harris

That's about 38 million

Funny saying the players are in the building. The reason Sutton is only rushing three players is because of our shitty personnel. They can't cover for longer than half a second

This is Fords last year

Jesus Christ let us just start the fuck over with all new personnel and be mediocre for a few years.
There is a bunch of stupidity right here.
Hali and DJ because of age sure but no the rest on D doesn't need to go when we have nothing ready to replace all of those players.
Smith might get let go because we have his replacement on the roster.

bigjosh
10-21-2017, 11:10 PM
Jesus Christ let us just start the fuck over with all new personnel and be mediocre for a few years.
Hali and DJ because of age sure but no the rest on D doesn't need to go when we have nothing ready to replace all of those players.

I agree with you on Bailey and Ford. The rest can fuck off. We have 3 D linemen that are UFA after this season, and all signs point to DJ and Hali being gone after this season. We are going to have to retool the trenches. like I said in the OP, if there is going to be a new DC brought in with a different scheme, this is the year to do it.

RealSNR
10-21-2017, 11:14 PM
Alex11

ALEX 11

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/powerrangers/images/7/79/Alpha_5.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/350?cb=20071005150326

RealSNR
10-21-2017, 11:15 PM
AYE YI YI! WE HAVE TO SET UP THE PUNTER BEFORE THE SEMEN MONSTER ATTACKS!

The Franchise
10-22-2017, 12:07 AM
DJs replacement was here years ago but he killed himself

If you think that Belcher was a DJ replacement, then you’re definitely mentally handicapped.

cooper barrett
10-22-2017, 12:09 AM
AYE YI YI! WE HAVE TO SET UP THE PUNTER BEFORE THE SEMEN MONSTER ATTACKS!

accoeding to the first 7 cames we will kick 12 less punts than last year. That's less than the Squeelers and the Pats. Actually that would be #10 lowest. Now go stick your sax in the other blow hole...

BigRedChief
10-22-2017, 12:21 AM
DJ has to go. He's been great and I still love the guy but he's an extreme liability and one of the reasons our defense sucks so bad. It's not really his fault, Father Time stops for no one.

penbrook
10-22-2017, 12:30 AM
DJ has to go. He's been great and I still love the guy but he's an extreme liability and one of the reasons our defense sucks so bad. It's not really his fault, Father Time stops for no one.

He’s better than Ragland. Which isn’t saying much

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 12:37 AM
Cutting off older, ineffective players isn't a bad thing you retard. Teams do it every single year.

Are you advocating for keeping together a bottom tier Defense? I mean seriously, what the fuck. Some of you fuckers have unquestionable love for jags and never fucking were's.

"HEY THIS DEFENSE IS FUCKING SHIT SO LETS TRADE ONE OF THE FEW GOOD PLAYERS BECAUSE HE IS EMOTIONAL AND FUCK YOU IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF THESE UNDER PERFORMING PLAYERS THAT ARE THE ACTUAL ONES PARTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS AIDS"

bigjosh
10-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Cutting off older, ineffective players isn't a bad thing you retard. Teams do it every single year.

Are you advocating for keeping together a bottom tier Defense? I mean seriously, what the fuck. Some of you fuckers have unquestionable love for jags and never fucking were's.

"HEY THIS DEFENSE IS FUCKING SHIT SO LETS TRADE ONE OF THE FEW GOOD PLAYERS BECAUSE HE IS EMOTIONAL AND FUCK YOU IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF THESE UNDER PERFORMING PLAYERS THAT ARE THE ACTUAL ONES PARTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS AIDS"

I agree with most all of this.

A few defensive players belong on the 53, but I bet at least a third of our starting defense doesn't even make the active roster on most nfl teams.

l4z4rd
10-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Alex will get a 1st round pick. With that pick, take a legit defensive player at any position.

or teams just wait until the Chiefs cut Smith and save a draft pick.

penbrook
10-22-2017, 05:50 PM

They won’t cut smith

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
10-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Cut Parker.

bigjosh
10-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Cut Parker.

That would save 5M in 2018

They won’t cut smith

He will not be on the roster next season. There is almost zero chance with the cap hell we are in and the fact that his replacement is already on the roster. If nobody bites on a trade, he will be released.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 06:03 PM
That would save 5M in 2018

He will not be on the roster next season. There is almost zero chance with the cap hell we are in and the fact that his replacement is already on the roster. If nobody bites on a trade, he will be released.
Penbrook is right, they aren't going to outright release Alex.

They can create enough space to function and counter teams that try to call the Chiefs bluff. Too much bad QB play and not enough supply to address it.

Somebody is going to pay the Chiefs for Alex.

l4z4rd
10-22-2017, 06:06 PM

They can create enough space to function and counter teams that try to call the Chiefs bluff. Too much bad QB play and not enough supply to address it.

The only way some team is going to pay the Chiefs is if Alex wants to play for that team.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-22-2017, 06:06 PM

Jacksonville is the team IMO. They are ready to win now if they figure out the QB spot. I don't think Alex would be able to replacate his current performance there without the trio of Hunt/Hill/Kelce, but he'd still be a huge upgrade. They'd be contenders probably.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 06:08 PM
The only way some team is going to pay the Chiefs is if Alex wants to play for that team.
Well yeah, but that will be a feasible thing. Think people are underestimating how much demand he will have in the Spring.

RealSNR
10-22-2017, 06:12 PM

You really don't have any fucking clue how or why trades happen in the NFL, do you?

RealSNR
10-22-2017, 06:13 PM
accoeding to the first 7 cames we will kick 12 less punts than last year. That's less than the Squeelers and the Pats. Actually that would be #10 lowest. Now go stick your sax in the other blow hole...

ALEX11

Fucking retard.

RealSNR
10-22-2017, 06:15 PM
There is ONE player in the history of ALL SPORTS where his nickname can be his initials followed by his number. Just one.

Andrei Kirilenko. AK47.

AS11? Alex11? Go fuck yourself. Get that shit the fuck out of here.

l4z4rd
10-22-2017, 06:17 PM
You really don't have any ****ing clue how or why trades happen in the NFL, do you?

Teams aren't going to give up an early round draft pick for Smith unless he agrees to sign an extension with them. Of course there might be some team willing to part with a 3rd or 4th round pick for a 1 yr rental.

penbrook
10-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Teams aren't going to give up an early round draft pick for Smith unless he agrees to sign an extension with them. Of course there might be some team willing to part with a 3rd or 4th round pick for a 1 yr rental.

This

SAUTO
10-22-2017, 06:24 PM
A one year bradford went for a 1...

Alex Smith is worth more than him.

pugsnotdrugs19
10-22-2017, 06:30 PM
This version of Alex Smith can fetch a 1st rounder ALL DAY. Jacksonville has the defense that can win a championship right now. They've spent big money on it. They aren't going to be afraid to go all in on a short window with Smith.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Tom Coughlin wants to win now and Alex fits the role best. Don't see any reason they will be concerned about extending him.

l4z4rd
10-22-2017, 06:34 PM
A one year bradford went for a 1...

Alex Smith is worth more than him.

Bradford had 2 yrs on his contract when he was traded, plus Vikings were stupid desperate after Bridgewater went down right before the start of the season.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Bradford had 2 yrs on his contract when he was traded, plus Vikings were stupid desperate after Bridgewater went down right before the start of the season.
Don't you think that you would be stupid desperate if your QB is Blake Bortles?

penbrook
10-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Don't you think that you would be stupid desperate if your QB is Blake Bortles?

He did throw for 300 plus yards today

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 06:38 PM
He did throw for 300 plus yards today
And? Blake Bortles is still fucking garbo.

It was the fucking Colts.

RealSNR
10-22-2017, 06:39 PM

This isn't fucking MLB.

There is no position in all of sports like QB. The franchise tag exists. Teams can re-sign and extend at will. And winning solves everything. That's what Alex does, right? Fucking wins? That's what everybody has been telling me nonstop.

The 1 year left on the contract is meaningless. Like somebody already said, Bradford fucking sucks dick and had 1 year left. The Eagles got a 1st rounder out of the Vikings.

Chief Roundup
10-22-2017, 06:47 PM

Ford has his option picked up so he is not going anywhere. Harris is still the 2cd best TE on the squad.
Tamba and DJ are most certainly gone. The rest is not likely with the exception of Smith depending on his play.
We are tight against the cap and cutting a bunch of players and thinking you are just going to replace them all with more talented players is not likely to happen. Teams do not get improvement at ever position that they replace players year in and year out. We do not have the cap space and drafting players doesn't always work out immediately.
The problem is we lost Berry who was the key to Suttons defensive scheme and without Berry he has not been able to adjust adequately yet, if he even can. The problem is more Sutton and this scheme than the players.

GloucesterChief
10-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Jags and Vikings I think would be the most interested. They are ready to compete now instead of waiting for a draft pick in a pretty weak class outside of Rosen to fall to them.

The Bad Guy
10-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Without reading the replies, I don't think there's a chance in hell Ron Parker is cut.

I also think if Alex keeps up this pace, they will absolutely bring him back at his cap figure.

Space will be created by cutting old washed players like DJ, Tamba and possible restructure of Justin Houston.

The Bad Guy
10-22-2017, 07:28 PM

There will be desperate teams.

If Alex Smith finishes this season with 30 plus TDs and minimal interceptions with about 3,500-4k yards, he's going to be in high draft pick demand.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Ford has his option picked up so he is not going anywhere. Harris is still the 2cd best TE on the squad.
Tamba and DJ are most certainly gone. The rest is not likely with the exception of Smith depending on his play.
We are tight against the cap and cutting a bunch of players and thinking you are just going to replace them all with more talented players is not likely to happen. Teams do not get improvement at ever position that they replace players year in and year out. We do not have the cap space and drafting players doesn't always work out immediately.
The problem is we lost Berry who was the key to Suttons defensive scheme and without Berry he has not been able to adjust adequately yet, if he even can. The problem is more Sutton and this scheme than the players.
Oh ffs.

Barring a substancial improvement in the result in 2017 over the last few years, the Chiefs are going to reset and get rid of pieces that aren't working.

It's about getting rid of pieces aren't working and if they don't work than they don't work, no matter how you want to slice it.

There are a lot of pieces on that Defense that aren't working like they should and keeping status quo for the sake of continuity is stupid and how they've had some really shitty Offensive Lines.

2/3rds of the front 3 isn't working along with probably 3/4ths of of the starting LB group.

The Defense got old and fell off a cliff. It sucks but fuck it happens and I'd say you gotta let go before it's too late, but it's already too late for some guys.

I don't see Dee Ford, DJ, Bennie Logan, Hali and Allen Bailey being factors down the road. They just aren't cutting it.

I think people are choosing to forget that this D had struggles with Berry in the line up, down the stretch last year with the platoff collapse and one player masking the major flaws doesn't mean those flaws don't exist.

I would absolutely gut what doesn't work and get out of the financial hole, finally. Trying to glue a crumbling boulder back together isn't going to work. We have to finally pay the price for win now eventually. Can't think of a better time to turn that page.

DaneMcCloud
10-22-2017, 11:13 PM
Bennie Logan stole $8 million dollars from the Clark's.

Just another in a long, long line of free agency blunders made by John Dorsey.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 11:19 PM

Yep. I think you can get similar performance out of a day 2 draft choice at a tenth of the salary.

DaneMcCloud
10-22-2017, 11:25 PM
Yep. I think you can get similar performance out of a day 2 draft choice at a tenth of the salary.

Well, and it's probably too early to place judgment on Tanoh but Carl Lawson looks like a much better selection that would have seen a shit ton of playing time this season.

penbrook
10-22-2017, 11:26 PM

Can Roaches play NT? He seems like he always has energy

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 11:31 PM
Well, and it's probably too early to place judgment on Tanoh but Carl Lawson looks like a much better selection that would have seen a shit ton of playing time this season.
I think you could judge Dorsey for not getting a more impact player with that 2nd round pick after taking a guy that you don't want seeing the field for '17 in the first round

The roster was good, but not that good.

Can Roaches play NT? He seems like he always has energy
Here and there, but ideally you want someone with a little more beef as the main guy so we can start turning the tide against these bigger Offensive Lines.

O.city
10-23-2017, 09:09 AM
I don't think the dl has been the issue.

The lbs aren't very good

CupidStunt
10-23-2017, 09:12 AM
I swear every thread I go in people want to point out 'the' issue. It's not a singular problem. Every player on the defense eats genital warts.

bigjosh
10-23-2017, 09:46 AM
I swear every thread I go in people want to point out 'the' issue. It's not a singular problem. Every player on the defense eats genital warts.

There are alot of issues.

2 of 3 Dlinemen are bad.
3 of 4 linebackers are bad.
3 of 4 DBs are horrible.

And any time we are in sub packages, the players brought in are liabilities.

On top of all of that, the D coordinator cant adjust, or put together a scheme that can stop any single thing particularly well. If this defense sells out to stop the run, they still give up 5 yards per carry. If they abandon the run and try to stop the deep ball, they give up 40 yard jump balls.

The last few years I have been more confident that the defense will score points than the offense. I wonder what the hell happened.

DaneMcCloud
10-23-2017, 09:55 AM

The lbs aren't very good

Poor linebacker play, silly defensive alignments, lack of a pass rush, uncreative defense. That all sounds really bad but the Chiefs are 5-2 and lost by 1 point on Thursday.

The harsh reality is that the every team in the NFL is flawed, some far more than others, making it each game, once again, about matchups.

The Chiefs could end up 12-4 with the #1 seed and lose in the first round the playoffs or end up with the #6 seed and go to the Super Bowl.

This is the weirdest season in recent memory.

RunKC
10-23-2017, 10:13 AM

I don't think this is entirely true. He's getting push, but the reality is that Chris Jones is still not good at leveraging blocks and Allen Bailey is getting killed by single blocks.

Now add the horrific situation at ILB with DJ and Sorenson and it's a recipe for disaster.

I feel pretty good right now with KPL, Eligwe and Ragland at ILB. I really don't feel good about CB and DE.

We need to attack those 2 positions hard in the offseason.

Rausch
10-23-2017, 10:22 AM

The lbs aren't very good

The D line has been good.

Houston has been asked to do things other than rush the passer. Ford has been decent at rushing the passer but very meh in everything else.

Both ILB's have been below par.

Our whole secondary takes turns sucking and impressing...

DaneMcCloud
10-23-2017, 11:05 AM
I don't think this is entirely true. He's getting push, but the reality is that Chris Jones is still not good at leveraging blocks and Allen Bailey is getting killed by single blocks.

Bailey leads the defensive line with 372 snap counts. Chris Jones has 295 and Logan has 283.

Clearly, they're overusing Bailey because for whatever reason, Tanoh isn't seeing any snaps at defensive end. To me, it's just bizarre.

But back to Logan, I just don't think he's been effective and certainly hasn't been able to justify his $8 million dollar salary. Roy Miller has seen the least amount of snaps with 57 and the guy has only one tackle this year.

The rotation is clearly out of whack.

O.city
10-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Poor linebacker play, silly defensive alignments, lack of a pass rush, uncreative defense. That all sounds really bad but the Chiefs are 5-2 and lost by 1 point on Thursday.

The harsh reality is that the every team in the NFL is flawed, some far more than others, making it each game, once again, about matchups.

The Chiefs could end up 12-4 with the #1 seed and lose in the first round the playoffs or end up with the #6 seed and go to the Super Bowl.

This is the weirdest season in recent memory.

Yeah pretty much

The shitty part is that the chiefs are legitimately like 2 plays from being 7-0 and basically ha omg the division locked up.

JakeF
10-23-2017, 11:39 AM
There's plenty of flexibility with our salary cap, can free up 40 million easily. The key is what they do with Alex Smith. An extension frees up cap space, trading or cutting frees up lots of cap space. We already have the replacements drafted for several of our big cap guys. The biggest problem is that we need pass rushers and corners, those are difficult to get.

bigjosh
01-08-2018, 12:26 AM
He’s better than Ragland. Which isn’t saying much

Hey look, One of the alex smith ballwashers was wrong as usual.

Revisiting this thread, if we cut/trade the following..

Smith
Hali
DJ
Bailey
Ford
Revis

that frees up 52M in cap space, giving us a total of 48M Open space based on the projected cap of 180M.

48M can go a long way to fixing this team, and extending a few players.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-08-2018, 12:28 AM
Hey look, One of the alex smith ballwashers was wrong as usual.

Revisiting this thread, if we cut/trade the following..

Smith
Hali
DJ
Bailey
Ford
Revis

that frees up 52M in cap space, giving us a total of 48M Open space based on the projected cap of 180M.

48M can go a long way to fixing this team, and extending a few players.

Bailey might be worth keeping as they likely won't need all of the cap space. Ford will be interesting too. He offers a decent pass rush but isn't stout enough against the run to earn a big payday.

bigjosh
01-08-2018, 12:32 AM
Bailey might be worth keeping as they likely won't need all of the cap space. Ford will be interesting too. He offers a decent pass rush but isn't stout enough against the run to earn a big payday.

Ford isnt worth his 8.7M cap number next year.

This is his contract year, and they exercised his option, so its not guaranteed money. 8.7M off the books with no dead money if he is cut.

Im down with keeping bailey for 6M, as long as he is playing. I feel like i never saw him out there this year. WTF happened to this guy?

ThaVirus
01-08-2018, 01:00 AM
Bailey's been healthy all year, IIRC. He's pretty much been the same player he's always been: flashes a great play once every three games or so but generally just takes up space the vast majority of the time.

ThaVirus
01-08-2018, 01:02 AM
He's not particularly stout against the run and he's a shit pass rusher. Unfortunately he is competent enough to keep a roster spot so he'll likely be back.

I want him gone, though. We need another impact down lineman.