PDA

View Full Version : KU ****Official KU vs MU Hurricane Relief Exhibition Game****

CoMoChief
10-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Anyone buying the ppv?

Reerun_KC
10-22-2017, 01:52 PM
No flying.

CoMoChief
10-22-2017, 02:01 PM
No flying.

Where u flying to?

bdj23
10-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Watching it. Choppy as fuck and the sound quality is terrible

TambaBerry
10-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Watching it. Choppy as fuck and the sound quality is terrible

I knew it would be this way and evne though its for charity I didn't want to buy it

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Missouri was up 11-9, but, man they are young.

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 02:18 PM
Tied at 14. Mizzou with some bad fouls/turnovers.

TrebMaxx
10-22-2017, 02:21 PM
The streaming feed sucks, but it is for a good cause. I just hope that this is a precursor to some games that count in the future.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 02:21 PM
I dug around for a few mins on SportsDevil, couldn't find a stream and gave up.

Fin

TambaBerry
10-22-2017, 02:22 PM
is there a play by play or something?

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 02:36 PM
kansas up 21-19. Jontay looking good.

Prison Bitch
10-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Can't believe this thing sold out

TrebMaxx
10-22-2017, 02:39 PM
is there a play by play or something? It is on the radio. I haven't seen a play by play on the web.

KingPriest2
10-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Can't believe this thing sold out

Why?!?!

All the fans want it. The only one eh I doesn't is the ego ass Bill Self. No respect for a guy who cheTed in his rife with a married woman and got her pregnant. Interesting how the press keeps that quiet

Buehler445
10-22-2017, 02:44 PM
My KU radio station isn't playing it.

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Missouri looking pretty sloppy, but up by 5.

bdj23
10-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Why?!?!

All the fans want it. The only one eh I doesn't is the ego ass Bill Self. No respect for a guy who cheTed in his rife with a married woman and got her pregnant. Interesting how the press keeps that quiet

English please?

Chiefspants
10-22-2017, 02:49 PM
This is fun. Both teams are looking sloppy, but that's to be expected in a sold out exhibition in October.

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 02:59 PM
So Svi doesn't look to have progressed at all. Has been benched multiple times already this half.

Chiefspants
10-22-2017, 03:01 PM
So Svi doesn't look to have progressed at all. Has been benched multiple times already this half.

The dude just doesn't have the lateral quickness that's necessary to compete at this level. If he's not Forte'ing threes, it's hard to justify having him out there.

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 03:02 PM
The dude just doesn't have the lateral quickness that's necessary to compete at this level. If he's not Forte'ing threes, it's hard to justify having him out there.
Destined for a professional career in Europe. It's no surprise he didn't like what he was told at the Combine last year.

WilliamTheIrish
10-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Why?!?!

Hahahaha!! LMAO

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 05:43 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill Self on playing MU: We&#39;re going to do what&#39;s best for us, not what&#39;s best for Missouri or Missouri fans. &quot;It&#39;s not a complicated deal.&quot;</p>&mdash; Matt Galloway (@themattgalloway) <a href="https://twitter.com/themattgalloway/status/922231733562593280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 22, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So that's the end of that.

Graham, Newman, Preston and Azubuike played well (although he's still not a very good rebounder and that will be a real issue for this KU team this year). The rest (especially Svi) not so much.

-King-
10-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Why does Bill self act like KU fans don't want this also? Why does he act like only Mizzou fans like the rivalry and us playing each other?
Posted via Mobile Device

TLO
10-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Why?!?!

Did you have a stroke while writing this?

TambaBerry
10-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Why does Bill self act like KU fans don't want this also? Why does he act like only Mizzou fans like the rivalry and us playing each other?
Posted via Mobile Device

because us KU fans don't want it

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Fun game to watch. Both teams played pretty sloppy, but both also showed some talent. Would love to see the stats.

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 05:48 PM
The ones I watched with do. They loved every bit of it. Of course, they’re decent people, so that might have something to do with it.

KC_Connection
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't particularly want it. Couldn't care less whether KU plays MU going forward.

Now if MU becomes a good basketball program again, that might be a different story.

Pablo
Well, a win over the mutts is always fun, no matter the format.

Just that ol' comfy 'beating the tigers' feeling.

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Fun game to watch. Both teams played pretty sloppy, but both also showed some talent. Would love to see the stats.

http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/news/documents/2017/10/22/stats-192201-153919.pdf

BigRedChief
10-22-2017, 05:56 PM
I didn't particularly want it. Couldn't care less whether KU plays MU going forward.the fans want it on both sides. I get why Self wants no part of an annual border war game. Besides payback for leaving the conference, What does his team benefit from risking a loss against Mo. state, Witchita State etc? He already plays top talent to ready the team for league and tourney play. He loses to Indiana, Duke etc. they don't get penalized extra for the loss.

Maybe if Missouri becomes a top 10 team on a regular basis, he may relent.

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 05:57 PM
http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/news/documents/2017/10/22/stats-192201-153919.pdfthanks.

Sassy Squatch
10-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Michael Porter Jr fucking sucks at impersonating Seth Curry.

CoMoChief
10-22-2017, 06:40 PM

That's not true.

....at all LMAO.

TLO
10-22-2017, 06:42 PM
That's not true.

....at all LMAO.

Mmmmm, it's at least true for some of us. I didn't have any interest in watching or listening to the game today.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Mmmmm, it's at least true for some of us. I didn't have any interest in watching or listening to the game today.
Tell me more about your interest for an exhibition game.

TLO
10-22-2017, 06:44 PM

:)

dlphg9

Why do KU fans act like pompous assholes?

TrebMaxx
I didn't have one KU fan acquaintance not wanting to play this game and all said it should become a annual event.

TLO
10-22-2017, 06:45 PM

Probably because Mizzou sucks ass at basketball and playing them does absolutely nothing for KU.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 06:45 PM
Idk?

Pablo
10-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Probably because Mizzou sucks ass at basketball and playing them does absolutely nothing for KU.It would be nice to have another surefire W on the early schedule. Bill likes to play a strong non-con so I get where he's coming from.

gblowfish
10-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Mizzou played six Freshman and lost by six points in a scrimmage that doesn't count for either team. $2 mill was raised for Hurricane Relief. Good day all around.

TLO
10-22-2017, 06:52 PM
$2 mill was raised for Hurricane Relief. Good day all around.

This is the important part. Good work by both schools and the fans for making it happen

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Mizzou played six Freshman and lost by six points in a scrimmage that doesn't count for either team. $2 mill was raised for Hurricane Relief. Good day all around.
Mpj didn’t play especially well. Tillmon did, though.

saphojunkie
10-22-2017, 07:17 PM
I fucking loved the game and would love to play MU on the regular. I get why hey don't, but that was super enjoyable.

Maybe after MU gets tired of being the SEC's bitch they'll come back to be ours again.

KChiefs1
10-22-2017, 07:43 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171023/c88e9c83c5b010e0371ef82f173fa140.jpg

CoMoChief
10-22-2017, 07:50 PM
They do need to make this an annual non-conf reg season game. Make it in Jan after classes resume session from winter break.

Have it alternate the 3 sites each year..Paige Center, AFH, Sprint Center.

Only158
10-22-2017, 08:16 PM
They do need to make this an annual non-conf reg season game. Make it in Jan after classes resume session from winter break.

Have it alternate the 3 sites each year..Paige Center, AFH, Sprint Center.
PAIGE CENTER!!!!!!!!! That was funny!

Lifelong KU fan. Loved the game today. Great cause and although the feed was "choppy" I enjoyed it. Unlike most KU fans I got why they left. Being another shine boy for Daddy Warbucks in Austin sucks. Especially when at the time Mizzery was schooling the Horns in every sport including co-ed Monopoly. Also think Coach Self was a tad snooty then and today. Good news...you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube. The next game will be easier to schedule.

Mr. Plow
10-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Why?!?!

LMAO

Mr. Plow
I see Graham had a nice stat line - anyone that watch, how did he play?

Pitt Gorilla
PAIGE CENTER!!!!!!!!! That was funny!

Lifelong KU fan. Loved the game today. Great cause and although the feed was "choppy" I enjoyed it. Unlike most KU fans I got why they left. Being another shine boy for Daddy Warbucks in Austin sucks. Especially when at the time Mizzery was schooling the Horns in every sport including co-ed Monopoly. Also think Coach Self was a tad snooty then and today. Good news...you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube. The next game will be easier to schedule.

I don’t blame ku fan (or Mizzou Fan) for not wanting this game for the past 3 years. Now, it makes sense. Hopefully, Mizzou can continue to stay relevant.

hawkchief
10-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Most KU fans don’t want to play this game again. More importantly, coach Self doesn’t want to. The game will be played again, if, and only if , Self/KU want it. Self did a brilliant job of turning the MU frothing fan base into big charity dollars. He has MU on a string like a puppet, and they don’t even seem to realize it.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Most KU fans don’t want to play this game again. More importantly, coach Self doesn’t want to. The game will be played again, if, and only if , Self/KU want it. Self did a brilliant job of turning the MU frothing fan base into big charity dollars. He has MU on a string like a puppet, and they don’t even seem to realize it.

LMAO yeah you nailed it home skillet

Only158
10-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Graham was great. Looked like the son who just got the keys to the Ferrari. 25/10/5...Nice.

Chiefspants
10-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Whatever, I love the game and the rivalry. Anyone who didn't pay attention to KC today is deluding themselves. The fans want this, and Self needs to see that.

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 09:27 PM
If Graham didn't play well, KU would have lost this. Looked like he saw this as a "big" game, but he'll have to play like this more regularly for this team now.

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Whatever, I love the game and the rivalry. Anyone who didn't pay attention to KC today is deluding themselves. The fans want this, and Self needs to see that.
Unless Missouri becomes good again, there's still very little incentive for Self to bother with them from season to season. I wouldn't expect anything.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 09:41 PM
I don't think current record of team is a factor.

That sounds like a stupid fan talking point.

Prison Bitch
10-22-2017, 09:56 PM
the fans want it on both sides..

No, they don't.

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 10:01 PM

Except for the fact that KU specifically designs their non-conference schedule each year to ensure they have the best RPI possible for the selection process. They're not regularly scheduling a terrible Missouri program just because some of the fanbase wants that rivalry again.

Prison Bitch
10-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Except for the fact that KU specifically designs their non-conference schedule each year to ensure they have the best RPI possible for the selection process. They're not scheduling a terrible Missouri program just because some of the fanbase wants that rivalry again.

That has literally zero to do with why we aren't playing them.

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 10:04 PM
That has literally zero to do with why we aren't playing them.
I'm talking about incentives. I'm well aware what the other reasons are (not that I particularly care at all about them).

Prison Bitch
10-22-2017, 10:08 PM

It is a dumb talking point.

It's about Mizzou bailing on the league and lying about it the whole time.

That said, today was a good thing if it raised charity dollars.

Pitt Gorilla
10-22-2017, 10:10 PM
It is a dumb talking point.

It's about Mizzou bailing on the league and lying about it the whole time.

That said, today was a good thing if it raised charity dollars.Zero chance that the people in charge at kansas are that petty/bitches.

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 10:10 PM
Except for the fact that KU specifically designs their non-conference schedule each year to ensure they have the best RPI possible for the selection process. They're not regularly scheduling a terrible Missouri program just because some of the fanbase wants that rivalry again.
I'm gonna let you in on a secret guy.

While college athletics tries to cloak it otherwise, they are business first and there's a heck of a lot of money in an annual game.

The unlimited blank check from networks will eventually stop coming in and the schools will have a change in tune. It's all about money.

Prison Bitch
10-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Zero chance that the people in charge at kansas are that petty/bitches.

It only matters if alums are. And believe me, we are.

They'd get a nuclear reaction from many of us if they ever scheduled this.

KC_Connection
10-22-2017, 10:15 PM
It's all about money.
Exactly. And given that, if a regular KU/MU game was such a massive game changer for KU's program rather than some other non-conference game, it obviously would have happened by now. It just isn't. The incentives are not there for them.

Only158
10-22-2017, 10:23 PM
P-R-E-A-C-H!!!

BryanBusby
10-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Exactly. And given that, if a regular KU/MU game was such a massive game changer for KU's program rather than some other non-conference game, it obviously would have happened by now. It just isn't. The incentives are not there for them.
That's silly.

Bill Self has been an emotional mess because the Tigers peaced out for more money in the SEC and they were looking at a big east payout if texas, oklahoma and friends didn't reluctantly stay. It's a fair complaint.

Neither program is hurting for the extra premium that game would bring yet. That will change.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-23-2017, 12:00 AM
Lulz at how much ku played their starters. Somebody wanted this game...

Trent Green GOAT
10-23-2017, 02:20 AM
Lulz at how much ku played their starters. Somebody wanted this game...

We go 8 deep.

kcjoker
10-23-2017, 02:27 AM
Whether it was true or not Self had a reasonable reason why he wouldn't play Missouri. Now that he gave in the KC media is going to be relentless on him about playing again. Then throw in all the local businesses that see it can be a cash cow they'll be pushing it too. As a Missouri fan I was glad to see the games go away because the rivalry became too toxic. Combine that with there was nothing to gain for their Bball and our(except for this year) football team.

Prison Bitch
10-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Heard there were actually losers packing the P&L. Many there hours before the game. Lulz

hawkchief
10-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Self is calling the shots - period. Amazing how he leveraged a frothing-at-the-mouth Mzzou fan base so crazed for relevance after they SEC’d and Black Lives Matters’d themselves (thanks to Alden and Pinkel) into a charity bonanza. To punctuate matters he made it clear that there won’t be further games with BLM- U.

Best22
10-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Self is calling the shots - period. Amazing how he leveraged a frothing-at-the-mouth Mzzou fan base so crazed for relevance after they SEC’d and Black Lives Matters’d themselves (thanks to Alden and Pinkel) into a charity bonanza. To punctuate matters he made it clear that there won’t be further games with BLM- U.

Both fan bases sold out. It's always a big game, especially with the talent on both teams

Glad Mizzou players got the experience. Much better preseason game than UCM.

TomBarndtsTwin
10-23-2017, 07:46 AM
The funny thing is there were an allotment of 9,000 tickets each made available to both season ticket holders fan bases. The 'frothing MU fan base' bought theirs up quickly, but then you know what else happened? So did KU's. All of em. As in STH's, many or most of which are alums.

So it would seem some are being a bit dishonest or disenginous when they surmise that only the MU fanbase wanted to see this game happen . . . . .

CoMoChief
10-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Self knows the fanbase and alums from both schools in KC area want this.

But when youre king of the mountain you sometimes get to have the most influence and can set your own rules. Self knows this.

And it very well may be a personal thing with Self. Thats fine. MU stiffed him out of a job once before and then later almost ruined the Big12. If Self says fuck'em then fuck'em. MU doesnt need to prop up the rebuild of their program at KU's expense. Let UK handle that.

Bottom line is, Self understands MU needs this more than KU does. And as long as thats the case I dont think hes going to do as much as throw out any breadcrumbs for MU. If he holds a grudge so be it. Sucks for the people that loved and grew up watching the rivalry in KC area though. Each game was electric...esp the ones in Columbia when MU actually had a shot at winning.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Looked like Self cared more about winning this than Zo. Went all out lulz.

KCUnited
10-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Is MU replacing UMKC on KU’s exhibition schedule or was this a one off type thing?

Mr. Plow
10-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Looked like Self cared more about winning this than Zo. Went all out lulz.

What does this even mean?

From the sounds of it - and I didn't watch - Self played this preseason game like he has played every preseason game for the past 14 years. I guess that means he "went all out"?

BigRedChief
10-23-2017, 08:10 AM
And it very well may be a personal thing with Self. Thats fine. MU stiffed him out of a job once before and then later almost ruined the Big12.Lets don't be rewriting history.

What soured people and universities on the Big 12 was the mistake of giving all that power to Texas. Thats the core reason. Mizzou leaving was just the effect, not the cause.

petegz28
10-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Some of you really need to learn to just enjoy the game .....

Dartgod
10-23-2017, 08:13 AM

Yeah, that's some non-con schedule. How did you guys survive that juggernaut?

Indiana 18–16
Duke 28–9
Siena 17–17
UAB 17–16
Georgia 19–15
UNC Asheville 23–10
Long Beach State 15–19
Stanford 14–17
UMKC 18–17
Nebraska 12–19
Davidson 17–15
UNLV 11–21

TomBarndtsTwin
10-23-2017, 08:14 AM
Yeah, SELF doesn't want the games against Mizzou. That's fine. And I get it. For whatever reason you wanna throw out there.

But for KU fans to act like none of their fanbase wants it either is disenginous. Especially when you look at the PPV numbers and the entire KU ticket allotment that was also quickly bought up by KU STH's.

But I'm sure they were just being nice and doing that for charity . . . . . . :rolleyes:

Pasta Little Brioni
10-23-2017, 08:16 AM

Indiana 18–16
Duke 28–9
Siena 17–17
UAB 17–16
Georgia 19–15
UNC Asheville 23–10
Long Beach State 15–19
Stanford 14–17
UMKC 18–17
Nebraska 12–19
Davidson 17–15
UNLV 11–21

KenPom Connection lives in a fantasy world.

Fansy the Famous Bard
10-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Yeah, SELF doesn't want the games against Mizzou. That's fine. And I get it. For whatever reason you wanna throw out there.

But for KU fans to act like none of their fanbase wants it either is disenginous. Especially when you look at the PPV numbers and the entire KU ticket allotment that was also quickly bought up by KU STH's.

But I'm sure they were just being nice and doing that for charity . . . . . . :rolleyes:

People here are saying that KU fans want it as a blanket statement. I see people on here that are KU fans that don't agree. I don't agree, and I don't see the need to play an MU. Yes I'm a KU fan, too. Doesn't mean that all KU fans feel that way. I always hated the rivalry because it brought out the worst in people, literally. I would want to punch friends at work because they would get so fucking ridiculous and wouldn't stfu about stuff while calling it "Passion" for MU when all they would talk about is KU. f******* off already.

Prison Bitch
10-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Lets don't be rewriting history.

What soured people and universities on the Big 12 was the mistake of giving all that power to Texas. Thats the core reason. Mizzou leaving was just the effect, not the cause.

Lol @ the "Texas bogeyman"

You don't even know what Texas supposedly did. (It's because they did nothing). It's just a Mizzouche talking point.

1. We left to join a better conf!
2. Well, we wanted to stay, but Texas!

Pick one^

Best22
10-23-2017, 08:41 AM

You don't even know what Texas supposedly did. (It's because they did nothing). It's just a Mizzouche talking point.

Pick one^

We wanted to stay, but Texas turned the conference into a pile of shite. It's showcase game of the week had an offense that couldn't even gain 22 yards.

Bearcat
10-23-2017, 08:42 AM

LMAO

Mr. Plow
10-23-2017, 08:46 AM

Best post in the thread. LMAO

Dartgod
10-23-2017, 08:52 AM
Best post in the thread. LMAO

Have you ever seen Pete's posts in a Royals game thread? Bearcat nailed it.

ROFL

EDIT: Yeah, as soon as I hit the submit button I realized what you meant. I'm and idiot.

Mr. Plow
10-23-2017, 08:55 AM
Have you ever seen Pete's posts in a Royals game thread? Bearcat nailed it.

ROFL

EDIT: Yeah, as soon as I hit the submit button I realized what you meant. I'm and idiot.

LMAO

Lzen
10-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Why?!?!

Lol, wtf is this?

Dartgod
10-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Lol, wtf is this?

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5500/tpbc2s65/products/979/images/1012/oldcrowbourbon175__13810__16861.1358534160.380.500.jpg?c=2

Lzen
10-23-2017, 09:52 AM
What does this even mean?

From the sounds of it - and I didn't watch - Self played this preseason game like he has played every preseason game for the past 14 years. I guess that means he "went all out"?

Typical delusional MU fan. ROFL

Lzen
10-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Self's comments after the game.
“That’s what fans want to know, but we’re gonna do what’s best for us,” Self said. “We’re not interested in doing what’s best for Missouri or best for Missouri fans. But if it’s best for us to play ’em, we will. It’s not a complicated deal.

“I’m not gonna say never, but I don’t think there’s been any change in our position. I’m the spokesman, I guess, on this, but, trust me, I’m not the only one that feels that way. There was a very large contingent of KU people that wasn’t happy that we were doing this initially until they realized it was for a good cause. ... Kudos to both administrations and the fans for doing something that was pretty special.”

InvinciBill
10-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Indiana 18–16
Duke 28–9
Siena 17–17
UAB 17–16
Georgia 19–15
UNC Asheville 23–10
Long Beach State 15–19
Stanford 14–17
UMKC 18–17
Nebraska 12–19
Davidson 17–15
UNLV 11–21

Convenient omission of @Kentucky

hawkchief
10-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Self's comments after the game.

It's funny to watch the MU fans and admins let Self and KU work them like this. You'd think at some point their pride would kick in and they say, "OK, it's obvious this isn't going to pan out long term for a series any time soon", and quit begging for it every day and acting like it's going to happen.

Lzen
10-23-2017, 10:15 AM

That was last year. I think KU plays Texas A&M in the Big 12/SEC Challenge this year.

Edit: Whoops, I see now that you meant the Champions Classic.

Dartgod
10-23-2017, 10:19 AM

Nothing convenient about it. It was stuck in the middle of your conference season and I simply did not see it. I'm begging you to forgive me. :rolleyes:

It doesn't take away from my point though. Using the excuse for not playing MU because KU schedules their non-con to maximize their RPI is a joke when you look at some of the cupcakes on last years schedule.

Chiefspants
10-23-2017, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty certain Self is the main barrier to continuing the rivalry, based on the conversations I had with folks in Athletics when I worked there. He definitely did not seem too thrilled for the entirety of the event.

Lzen
10-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Nothing convenient about it. It was stuck in the middle of your conference season and I simply did not see it. I'm begging you to forgive me. :rolleyes:

It doesn't take away from my point though. Using the excuse for not playing MU because KU schedules their non-con to maximize their RPI is a joke when you look at some of the cupcakes on last years schedule.

I understand your point and I may agree with you. That being said, you have to also understand that schedules are made years in advance and many of those programs were good when KU scheduled them. IMO, the reason KU does not schedule MU is due to the fact that they left the Big 12 high and dry and put the conference, and therefore KU, in a perilous position. Plus, MU would gain exposure and recruiting in the KC area.

Dartgod
10-23-2017, 10:25 AM
I understand your point and I may agree with you. That being said, you have to also understand that schedules are made years in advance and many of those programs were good when KU scheduled them. IMO, the reason KU does not schedule MU is due to the fact that they left the Big 12 high and dry and put the conference, and therefore KU, in a perilous position. Plus, MU would gain exposure and recruiting in the KC area.

I get that and I agree with your reasoning for why they don't schedule them.

My post was primarily directed at KC_Connection because he's a dumb ass.

hawkchief
10-23-2017, 10:28 AM

This is exactly the reason. The sooner MU fans and admins accept it, the better off things will be for everyone. KU gets nothing out of playing Mizzou and/or giving them any type of local boost or legitimacy by being linked to KU hoops - one of the most elite programs in the country.

Prison Bitch
10-23-2017, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty certain Self is the main barrier to continuing the rivalry, based on the conversations I had with folks in Athletics when I worked there. He definitely did not seem too thrilled for the entirety of the event.

That's not true. I was at a private luncheon with Zenger a few years back and he made us put our cellphones on the table before he went on a Mizzouche tirade. It's possible he was just playing to his audience, or doing what Massah Self wants, but I don't think so. He's a great actor if so.

Pitt Gorilla
10-23-2017, 11:37 AM

Pick one^im guessing some would pick one, some could pick the other, and some could reasonably choose both.

Pitt Gorilla
10-23-2017, 11:41 AM
I wonder who self is mad at. Martin? Sterk? Odom? Choi? Cartwright?

BWillie
10-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Missouri makes 14 threes. KU was up 83-66 until they let off the gas. Best Missouri team ever. Porter didn't even look like the 3rd best player on the team, but of course it was one game. Robertson and Garney? looked like the two best players.

Chiefspants
10-23-2017, 12:05 PM
That's not true. I was at a private luncheon with Zenger a few years back and he made us put our cellphones on the table before he went on a Mizzouche tirade. It's possible he was just playing to his audience, or doing what Massah Self wants, but I don't think so. He's a great actor if so.

Your connections tend to be superior to mine. It's just a bit odd. There's still border war memorabilia in the employees section of the Union and Mizzou came up occasionally when I catered the donors box. They seemed to think Self was the main driver, but donors with press box amenities may not be the most reliable sources of info... especially three quarters into a typical 60-7 blowout of KU football.

TomBarndtsTwin
10-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Missouri makes 14 threes. KU was up 83-66 until they let off the gas. Best Missouri team ever. Porter didn't even look like the 3rd best player on the team, but of course it was one game. Robertson and Garney? looked like the two best players.

It was an exhibition game for charity. Who gives a shit?

No Mizzou fan is saying MU looked better than or even close to KU. KU is one of the top 5 teams in the country. Mizzou is a young team with a lot of talented freshman looking to rebuild the basketball program and restore its credibility.
If Martin continues to recruit at an elite level (which seems possible right now), then Mizzou can get back to being a Consistent Top 25 program and making the Tourney every year, with an ocassional deep Tourney run every 5-6 years.

That's probably the most realistic expectation for Mizzou basketball at this point. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen . . . . .

Best22
10-23-2017, 12:41 PM

That like bragging about a Chiefs preseason game

No game plan, no double teams, just kids playing hard. Mizzou out rebounded KU, but KU hit more free throws. Mizzou is young and athletic, KU is experienced and big

BWillie
10-23-2017, 01:26 PM
That like bragging about a Chiefs preseason game

No game plan, no double teams, just kids playing hard. Mizzou out rebounded KU, but KU hit more free throws. Mizzou is young and athletic, KU is experienced and big

KU is experienced, young, big, athletic, and full of NBA players. We have at least 6. Missouri has 2.

Dartgod
10-23-2017, 01:39 PM
KU is experienced, young, big, athletic, and full of NBA players. We have at least 6. Missouri has 2.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Reason most MU fans think KU fans are assholes.

Spott
10-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Whether it was true or not Self had a reasonable reason why he wouldn't play Missouri. Now that he gave in the KC media is going to be relentless on him about playing again. Then throw in all the local businesses that see it can be a cash cow they'll be pushing it too. As a Missouri fan I was glad to see the games go away because the rivalry became too toxic. Combine that with there was nothing to gain for their Bball and our(except for this year) football team.

I'm glad that rivalry is dead, too. It made this board pretty unbearable for a while, especially when Mizzou went to the SEC. The incessant back and forth mu/ku bickering was beyond stupid. What made it worse was that it was between a bunch of people that never went to either school and had no connections to either university.

Best22
10-23-2017, 02:14 PM

Maybe

Kiimo
10-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Six is majorly pushing it. I hope to high heaven you aren't including Svi in that. Because he's getting nowhere near an NBA team. Dok, Billy Preston, Malik Newman are the only surefire NBA players of that bunch. I bet Graham may get a second round selection or possibly Vick if he has a good workout.

BWillie
10-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Six is majorly pushing it. I hope to high heaven you aren't including Svi in that. Because he's getting nowhere near an NBA team. Dok, Billy Preston, Malik Newman are the only surefire NBA players of that bunch. I bet Graham may get a second round selection or possibly Vick if he has a good workout.

Svi is gettin drafted. He's 19 years old. Tall. Foreign. Decent athlete for his size. Can shoot. Someone will draft him, and yeah he will fail. But he's getting drafted.

KC_Connection
10-23-2017, 03:38 PM

I get that and I agree with your reasoning for why they don't schedule them.

My post was primarily directed at KC_Connection because he's a dumb ass.

Read this: http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-03-07/ku-basketball-has-secret-weapon-when-it-comes-ncaa-tournament-seeding

Scheduling around RPI is actually what they attempt to do. Some years it just pans out better than others.

Win or lose, playing the 255th team in the country in RPI (what MU rather incredibly was last year) would actually hurt KU's RPI.

KC_Connection
10-23-2017, 03:43 PM
Svi is gettin drafted. He's 19 years old. Tall. Foreign. Decent athlete for his size. Can shoot. Someone will draft him, and yeah he will fail. But he's getting drafted.
If he gets drafted, it won't be in the 1st round. Nobody is giving guaranteed money to a college senior with his immense flaws.

Kiimo
10-23-2017, 03:56 PM
He has no lateral quickness. In fact what does he do besides shoot threes?

He's not an NBA player. He has in four years never looked like an NBA player. I don't get it.

CoMoChief
10-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Let's just say Svi plays very "white".

But honestly, the guy sucks handling the rock. Smaller quicker wing players eat him alive once he puts the ball on the floor.

I am worried about KU's depth down low. Preston is going to show some flashes but I don't know how much to expect from him at this point, dude has talent but has so much to learn and is nowhere near where he needs to be in order for Self to trust him as a go to guy.

If Azu* gets into foul trouble a lot or God forbid gets injured again, that just may be the end of KU's consecutive Big12 title reign. KU has ZERO depth down low. I don't seem to really care for Littlefoot or whatever the hell his name is. I certainly have no expectations of the guy at the moment. Dude looks like he doesn't even belong on the court. Maybe it's because he's skinny and white and looks like ass I dunno. Would have been nice if Dwight Coleby stayed for Sr season. Anyone know why he transferred? Seemed like he'd get a good amount of playing time this year, possible crack at starting #4man position, or at least be the primary big man sub for Preston or Azu*. It seems possible that not having him may hurt down the road. I hope Preston can learn quickly.

*Azu....I am using this acronym in place of "Azubuike", because like "Svi", it's annoying to try and remember how to spell it...so "Azu" will be used in my posts from this point forward.

Prison Bitch
10-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Your connections tend to be superior to mine. It's just a bit odd. There's still border war memorabilia in the employees section of the Union and Mizzou came up occasionally when I catered the donors box. They seemed to think Self was the main driver, but donors with press box amenities may not be the most reliable sources of info... especially three quarters into a typical 60-7 blowout of KU football.

Like I said he could've been just playing to his audience. Likely in fact, but given his rather foul language I am not sure Bill's the only one here

CoMoChief
10-23-2017, 04:50 PM
I'm glad that rivalry is dead, too. It made this board pretty unbearable for a while, especially when Mizzou went to the SEC. The incessant back and forth mu/ku bickering was beyond stupid. What made it worse was that it was between a bunch of people that never went to either school and had no connections to either university.

Bullshit dude grow some skin.

The board was MUCH better w/ the border war.

BWillie
10-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Bullshit dude grow some skin.

The board was MUCH better w/ the border war.

It's banter. And it's fun. Agreed.

lawrenceRaider
10-24-2017, 08:23 AM
It was an exhibition game for charity. Who gives a shit?

No Mizzou fan is saying MU looked better than or even close to KU. KU is one of the top 5 teams in the country. Mizzou is a young team with a lot of talented freshman looking to rebuild the basketball program and restore its credibility.
If Martin continues to recruit at an elite level (which seems possible right now), then Mizzou can get back to being a Consistent Top 25 program and making the Tourney every year, with an ocassional deep Tourney run every 5-6 years.

That's probably the most realistic expectation for Mizzou basketball at this point. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen . . . . .

Mizzou and Deep Run in the Tourney should never be used in relation to each other. E8 isn't a deep run, and that is as far as they've ever gotten.

Stargazer
10-24-2017, 03:32 PM

Weird, I saw Nebraska on that schedule last year, Colorado in years past...A&M this year even. So none of them left the conference "high and dry?"

KChiefs1
10-24-2017, 03:43 PM

He was by far the best player on the court.

Kiimo
10-24-2017, 03:57 PM
*Azu....I am using this acronym in place of "Azubuike", because like "Svi", it's annoying to try and remember how to spell it...so "Azu" will be used in my posts from this point forward.

Dok.

gblowfish
10-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Mizzou and Deep Run in the Tourney should never be used in relation to each other. E8 isn't a deep run, and that is as far as they've ever gotten.

Hey, I'd take E8 in a NY Minute after living with Kermit the last few years.

Titty Meat
10-24-2017, 06:35 PM
One meaningless scrimmage doesn't tell you shit. Games in December barely mean anything. 7 more months of college basketball.

KChiefs1
10-24-2017, 07:00 PM
I know this is a KC thing but most Mizzou fans I know don't see a need to play KU ever again.

KChiefs1
10-24-2017, 07:02 PM
One meaningless scrimmage doesn't tell you shit. Games in December barely mean anything. 7 more months of college basketball.

It was fun to watch though. Which has been awhile for me.

I haven't been interested in basketball since Kim Anderson took over. I'm hoping Sterk makes the same kinda hire in football.

Titty Meat
10-24-2017, 07:10 PM
It was fun to watch though. Which has been awhile for me.

I haven't been interested in basketball since Kim Anderson took over. I'm hoping Sterk makes the same kinda hire in football.

You should be very excited for the basketball. I think a guy like Frank Wilson would be a kick ass hire for MU.