PDA

View Full Version : Life Starting a Business

58-4ever
10-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Hi Ya'll -

I recently became a free agent, and I'm thinking about starting a new business. If you could start a new business, what would you do?

I have been thinking a lot about blockchain... BUT, I've also thought a lot about getting out of IT. Maybe landscaping? Maybe an archery shop? Maybe some sort of franchise?

What say YOU?

MIAdragon
10-29-2017, 02:57 PM
Don't do it.

58-4ever
10-29-2017, 02:58 PM
Don't do it.

I've done it before and I'm aware of the effort.. Are there other caution flags you'd throw out there?

Eleazar
10-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Obviously the proven path to success is to ask Chiefsplanet for ideas. :fire:

Pablo
10-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Big market for sports team themed butt-plugs.

Get yourself a 3D printer and get cracking. Girth and depth and textures are just things you'll have to experiment with, but it sounds like you've got some time on your hands.

Demonpenz
10-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Most the people I know start a business it goes under they spend the rest of their lives try to save money to get back where regular people are. I read some where that you are 10x likely to kill yourself when your business fails. I am sure yours will go well though.

Buehler445
10-29-2017, 04:26 PM
If you do it, do the homework. Know what kind of money it takes to get going. Know what kind of money it takes to operate. Know what kind of volume you’re going to have to run. Know what kind of structure you need and what the tax implications are. More importantly, make sure your margins are good enough to build the business. You need to make far more money than your paycheck. You need to be able to bank far more money than a 9-5er. Don’t just do it to buy yourself a job.

I am a super nerd and I dig all this stuff so if you want to hash it out let me know.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Get several partners that will all contribute $20,000 for startup . Instead of starting up just collect the money and move away. Do this 5 times and then make a business of it. You can just be a mentor and teach others how. You can hold seminars and charge $250 seat. Win/Win

Edit: In giving this more thought you can do the same with the seminars. Just collect the money and don't show up for the seminar.

notorious
10-29-2017, 04:30 PM
Avoid restaurants like the plague.

As for what exactly to go into, I have no idea. I hit the jackpot on my business but the initial decision was luck followed by thousands of hours of hard work to perfect the craft.

Go into something that is a specialized skill. You will be able to demand top dollar when you perfect the skill set. If you can avoid the need for a physical store it allows you to have complete control over your hours and cuts down on a huge amount of overhead.

notorious
10-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Oh, Facebook boost advertising is awesome. Far and away the best way I spend money on ads.

FlaChief58
10-29-2017, 04:44 PM
My wife started a pet sitting business about 5 years ago. It started out pretty meh, now it's doing so well that she was able to quit her job and I'm looking to retire in the next year or two

lewdog
10-29-2017, 05:10 PM
I thought you were already rich?

Dayze
10-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Don’t.

DRU
10-29-2017, 06:04 PM
What are your hobbies? What do you enjoy doing? What are you really good at that you could teach others about?

By the way, don't listen to the negative Nancy's. Starting your own business has all sorts of huge benefits. That said, you may want to look into finding another regular job and starting your own thing on the side. This way you won't have so much pressure for the business to become successfully so quickly.

Having a regular job, though, and then having your own thing on the side will give you huge tax savings, so you'll get to keep a lot more of the cash you're earning at the regular job to help you build your side thing. Within a couple of years you could probably have it built up enough where you could quit the regular job. That all depends on what exactly you decide go move forward with. Make sure it's something you'll actually enjoy doing so that you will naturally work to grow it.

58-4ever
10-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Obviously the proven path to success is to ask Chiefsplanet for ideas. :fire:

You're a silly cunt. It's a topic to chat about, I'm not taking notes and bookmarking the thread.

58-4ever
10-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Oh, Facebook boost advertising is awesome. Far and away the best way I spend money on ads.

Really? Can you tell me what kind of industry... or even vertical you are in?

stevieray
10-29-2017, 06:23 PM

:hmmm:

58-4ever
10-29-2017, 06:24 PM
I thought you were already rich?

Super Rich. :)

Even Mark Cuban kept going after the first one...

58-4ever
10-29-2017, 06:25 PM
What are your hobbies? What do you enjoy doing? What are you really good at that you could teach others about?

By the way, don't listen to the negative Nancy's. Starting your own business has all sorts of huge benefits. That said, you may want to look into finding another regular job and starting your own thing on the side. This way you won't have so much pressure for the business to become successfully so quickly.

Having a regular job, though, and then having your own thing on the side will give you huge tax savings, so you'll get to keep a lot more of the cash you're earning at the regular job to help you build your side thing. Within a couple of years you could probably have it built up enough where you could quit the regular job. That all depends on what exactly you decide go move forward with. Make sure it's something you'll actually enjoy doing so that you will naturally work to grow it.

Thanks. I love to bowhunt. I'm a great cook (but, as mentioned, I'd never want to own a restaurant) I love to fish, and bang my wife.

DRU
10-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Thanks. I love to bowhunt. I'm a great cook (but, as mentioned, I'd never want to own a restaurant) I love to fish, and bang my wife.

Are you good enough at bow hunting that you could give lessons? You could build a business around giving professional training on bow hunting, equipment consulting, maybe repair and upgrades if you do that sort of thing..?? All of that could be turned into a business. A buddy of mine just recently opened up a fire arms training company. You guys may be able to work together and send each other business.

Same sort of thing with fishing, but maybe as a specialty..?? I don't know much about fishing, but maybe you could specialize in training people how to catch a specific type of a fish or how to use a particular style of fishing..?? Get into forums about the topic, join the FB groups, create a meetup at meetup.com, make some YouTube videos talking about why your specialty works, etc.

As for cooking, if you're good you could be a private chef. You could basically do the same sort of thing that local companies like "Healthy Meals" and "Success Meals" do, but do it custom for a smaller set of clients, and help them build their weekly menus, then prepare it all for them and deliver a week's worth of food at a time or something like that.

Again, turning these things into instant revenue that matches what you'd get from a regular job is going to be tough, but doing this on the side of a regular job will give you all sorts of benefits that will help you get out of debt if you need, and then start building wealth.

notorious
10-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Really? Can you tell me what kind of industry... or even vertical you are in?

I am in construction. I can boost one post of before and after pics for $100 and get several jobs from it. It is simply amazing.

DRU
10-29-2017, 07:14 PM

I actually just caught that last part. If she's into it, get on Chaturbate. Lots of people making good money on there.

KCrockaholic
10-29-2017, 07:29 PM
I am in construction. I can boost one post of before and after pics for $100 and get several jobs from it. It is simply amazing.

Did you ever use Homeadvisor?

HonestChieffan
10-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Archery rocks....I have always thought a top drawer archery shop with a quality indoor range in KC has real potential. But it would take a long time to build the business and long hours hosting leagues and shoots.

I started a business when I retired and can say it has great rewards but also had serious financial obligations

Iowanian
10-29-2017, 08:19 PM
Prepare to work harder, take less, suffer more.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-29-2017, 08:20 PM

Well, how about starting a business with letting people bang your wife ?

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-29-2017, 08:24 PM
Are you good enough at bow hunting that you could give lessons? You could build a business around giving professional training on bow hunting, equipment consulting, maybe repair and upgrades if you do that sort of thing..?? All of that could be turned into a business. A buddy of mine just recently opened up a fire arms training company. You guys may be able to work together and send each other business.

Same sort of thing with fishing, but maybe as a specialty..?? I don't know much about fishing, but maybe you could specialize in training people how to catch a specific type of a fish or how to use a particular style of fishing..?? Get into forums about the topic, join the FB groups, create a meetup at meetup.com, make some YouTube videos talking about why your specialty works, etc.

As for cooking, if you're good you could be a private chef. You could basically do the same sort of thing that local companies like "Healthy Meals" and "Success Meals" do, but do it custom for a smaller set of clients, and help them build their weekly menus, then prepare it all for them and deliver a week's worth of food at a time or something like that.

Again, turning these things into instant revenue that matches what you'd get from a regular job is going to be tough, but doing this on the side of a regular job will give you all sorts of benefits that will help you get out of debt if you need, and then start building wealth.

Good thoughts, how about getting a BBQ grill trailer and catering parties and then also being a fishing guide.

Iowanian
10-29-2017, 08:27 PM
If I had deep pockets and wanted to run a busaway ness for fun, I've got my idea.

I'd run "man camp" where city guys could come to a farm, do man work, shoot guns, drive ATV trails, camp outdoors...go home after 3 days tired, sore, dirty, smelling like fire and maybe some blisters and scratches. Earn that flannel shirt, mr. man-bun.

The offshoot of that I looked into was that plus a service to cater to groups, like bachelor parties or hunting buddies, or reunions. Same as above, with the option to drive a tank around a course and for extra you could drive over a car, through an rv or something.

Deeper pockets, id charter helicopter rides where yo could shoot targets/cars/barrels while strapped into a helicopter. I've shot pigs that way and think it would be fun to fly a course and just shoot shit from the sky.

That's what I'd do if I had big bucks behind me and wanted a job that would be fun. Also have lodge and meals. Options are endless

If you do it, I want a percentage.

cdcox
10-29-2017, 09:20 PM
Archery as a business is a good way to set fire to money. If you are selling equipment how do you think you are going to compete with Bass Pro Shop, given their volume?

If you are running an Archery range, you are competing with an established business in Archery Excellence. The business tops out at the equivalent of a strip mall Tae Kwon Do club.

No way do I go into the risk and effort of starting a business without the possibility for a serious payday.

Block chain has serious potential if you have an idea.

notorious
10-29-2017, 09:27 PM
Did you ever use Homeadvisor?

Not yet. Trying to hire people to keep up.

scho63
10-29-2017, 10:22 PM

I can confirm this....:clap:

KS Smitty
10-29-2017, 10:28 PM
If you like hunting and are good at it buy some good hunting acreage and offer guided hunts. There is an increase in this type of business in our area. This is really catching on with families holding on to property just for this purpose. The same with fishing, which I think is absurd in my area, but if you're going on a fishing trip you do want to catch fish.

scho63
10-29-2017, 10:35 PM
Hi Ya'll -

I recently became a free agent, and I'm thinking about starting a new business. If you could start a new business, what would you do?

I have been thinking a lot about blockchain... BUT, I've also thought a lot about getting out of IT. Maybe landscaping? Maybe an archery shop? Maybe some sort of franchise?

What say YOU?

1. How old are you?
2. Have you ever owned your own business?
3. What SPECIFIC skills do you have?
4. How can you set yourself apart from others?
5. Do you have the ability to work for 12-18 months or more and not make a single dime?
6. Do you know how to read a balance sheet?
7. Do you understand cash flow vs profit vs working capital?
8. Do you know which businesses have the highest failure rates and which have the greatest success rates?
9. What college degrees do you have?
10. Is your credit good to draw on funds at a bank should you need it?
11. Do you have any capital for startup?
12. Are you going to try and raise money either angel investors or VC or via Kickstarter?
13. Do you have a good accountant and attorney?
14. You going LLC, S Corp, Sole Proprietor or Corporation?
15. You going to do bootstrap financing?
16. Do you know how to write a business plan?
17. Do you have a business name not taken by someone else?
18. Will you be able to procure a URL not already parked by a company?
19. What industries are you looking at?
20. You going to hire employees?
21. Do you know about all the taxes an employer pays?
22. You going to work out of your home or rent an office?
23. Do you have a marketing plan?
24. Any ideas for a professional logo or website?
25. What is your short term revenue goals?
26. Have you completed any market studies?
27. Who is going to sell your services?
28. Do you know how to sell?
29. What are your payment terms?
30. What CRM or similar system are you using to manage your business?
31. Do you know about all the insurance costs today for a business?
32. Do you have a good banking relationship?
33. Do you know the local Chamber of Commerce or other networking groups? Do you belong to any?

Wanna keep going???? :hmmm:

Sorce
10-30-2017, 07:51 AM
If you don't already have the idea and the passion then don't do it. Getting a business started takes a lot of commitment, the kind you don't have if your asking on a football message board for ideas.

That or traffic rocks to the community...

TimeForWasp
10-30-2017, 07:54 AM
Location , location, location, but crack sales are up.

PunkinDrublic
10-30-2017, 08:49 AM
If you don't already have the idea and the passion then don't do it. Getting a business started takes a lot of commitment, the kind you don't have if your asking on a football message board for ideas.

That or traffic rocks to the community...

Not necessarily. Just do some research find a business you think you can do that fills a market need. Who cares if it’s not your passion. Everybody always says find your passion but every career and business has a ton of tedious mind numbing things that will make you want to do something else. But you know what, if it ends up making you a fuck ton of money it’s worth it.

Nzoner
10-30-2017, 10:21 AM
I'd love to find someone with some upfront capital to expand Pyro Joe's.

Don't know where you're located i.e. firework laws but I could help you get started if interested in using my name and concept.Not looking for a franchisee per say but someone who likes my concept and wants to help me expand it for a minimal fee.

Granted,you'd only actually work 3-4 months out of the year but with the right location and employees it could be a nice income with the possibilities of opening other locations.

BlackHelicopters
10-30-2017, 10:23 AM
You must be well capitalized . Business savings equal to 2 years of operating with no profit. Dependng on your idea or business, profit may be a bit distance away.

Iowanian
10-30-2017, 10:24 AM
I considered calling you last year about that very subject, since Fireworks are now legal in Iowania...but then I realized I was so busy I didn't have time to mow my own yard every week this summer.

BlackHelicopters
10-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Or, as suggested often in this thread, sling rocks.

BlackHelicopters
10-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Or own a legit business, and traffic on the side . Tax free........

Nzoner
10-30-2017, 10:32 AM
I considered calling you last year about that very subject, since Fireworks are now legal in Iowania...but then I realized I was so busy I didn't have time to mow my own yard every week this summer.

You open a fireworks location you can pay to have someone mow your yard. :D

Iowanian
10-30-2017, 10:34 AM
I DID pay someone to mow my yard...or let people who owed me money do it!

I'd be somewhat serious about looking at that but I'm always very busy that time of year.

Nzoner
10-30-2017, 11:17 AM
I DID pay someone to mow my yard...or let people who owed me money do it!

I'd be somewhat serious about looking at that but I'm always very busy that time of year.

Just let me know but don't wait too long if serious.

As for being really busy I can relate as these last eight years I also ran my former business AD-Venture(recently sold) so it can be done but by July 5th you'll be the walking dead.

Calcountry
10-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Don't do it.

Quit now while you are ahead.

Calcountry
10-30-2017, 11:29 AM
If you do it, do the homework. Know what kind of money it takes to get going. Know what kind of money it takes to operate. Know what kind of volume you’re going to have to run. Know what kind of structure you need and what the tax implications are. More importantly, make sure your margins are good enough to build the business. You need to make far more money than your paycheck. You need to be able to bank far more money than a 9-5er. Don’t just do it to buy yourself a job.

I am a super nerd and I dig all this stuff so if you want to hash it out let me know.

Know where the Rubicon is with respect to what you can afford to lose. If you cross that rubicon, immediately execute a retreat contingency that should already be filed on a shelf.

kccrow
10-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Hi Ya'll -

What say YOU?

Blockchain may be a great idea, but you'd have to decide what it is exactly you'd want to accomplish in that realm as well. What are you intending to distribute/share? Are you looking to create a niche? Is it a private or pubic chain you have in mind? Blockchain counters most models in that you almost have to start big and work your way to small, especially from an idea perspective. How do you convince an industry sector to use the platform? Are there already players in the arena you have in mind? For instance, banking, accounting, healthcare, and supply chain management are all areas being occupied. Do you have an established network of programmers that you could tap into to help you get this off the ground in a meaningful way?

As for other ideas... I don't think specialty shops, like Archery, is a good way to go. You're targeting a small customer base and that arena is already occupied with major players you'll never compete on price with. Instruction can always make you money, but its a side job until you become very reputable and well-established via work of mouth.

Are you cross-educated? There are specialized services that can be really appealing and make you alot of money. Someone with a background in IT and Accounting, for instance, can implement systems like Microsoft Dynamics GP and other modular, database driven platforms for businesses and can also act as consultants to accounting firms for implementation of such products for consumers. Just an idea.

I don't know what to say as far as "hey get in this business because its hot" if that's what you're looking for. Perhaps a consulting or a la carte IT business is something you could do. It gets you a bit out of the grind of IT, but keeps you in a business you know. Knowledge is valuable. People are going to pay for it.

KCrockaholic
10-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Not yet. Trying to hire people to keep up.

You probably wouldn't ever need Homeadvisor. It's really only beneficial for newer contractors looking to get their word of mouth clientele up. But if you ever wanted any more in-depth advice on it, you can ask me anything you'd like to know. I'm a former salesman with them. Good company. A lot of contractors just feel like they get screwed because they don't know how to close a sale themselves when they're in front of a customer.

ghak99
10-30-2017, 06:14 PM
DO NOT open an archery shop!

ghak99
10-30-2017, 06:19 PM
If you want to get into the cattle business, I know a guy who just happens to have an opportunity ready to roll.

srvy
10-30-2017, 06:23 PM
DO NOT open an archery shop!

No kidding you wont be able to beat Bow prices of the sporting chains. You will have to restring bows and refletch a lot of arrows to make ends meat.