PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why don't we ever move Peters?

DaFace
10-30-2017, 09:57 PM
I ask this as a genuine question for those who understand the intricacies of strategy more than I do:

Why don't we ever move Peters to the other side to cover top WRs?

Is there a directionality to the position like LT/RT that some guys are just good at but Peters isn't?

It's just painful watching guys like Acker lose to DT over and over again tonight and not ever trying to move Peters over there instead.

Chief Northman
10-30-2017, 09:58 PM
It’s all about the precious scheme.....

kcchiefsus
10-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Because Bob Sutton is a fucking dinosaur and can't adapt. We need a new d-coordinator, although we know Andy Reid would rather keep his loyalty and ride this team into the ground than make a change.

TLO
10-30-2017, 10:00 PM
I'd like an answer to this as well.

JakeF
10-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Sutton doesn't believe in shadowing with his corners. Some coaches believe that moving your corners creates more confusion within the scheme than it creates benefits by matching up your corners with certain receivers.

Reerun_KC
10-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Because our scheme is as out dated as Buttons is.

Our DC is a fraud. Has been for years yet CP defends him with passionate vigor for aids.

CasselGotPeedOn
10-30-2017, 10:04 PM
Because our scheme is as out dated as Buttons is.

Our DC is a fraud. Has been for years yet CP defends him with passionate vigor for aids.

You are so full of shit you fucking mongoloid.

Sandy Vagina
10-30-2017, 10:05 PM
I think a couple of despicable people have it right. Bob is an old (proud) stubborn ass, and is a huge weakness for this team. Way too much talent being wasted.. and now a playoff-worth offense being wasted by the D and pussy OL.

Oh well.. so close.. yet so far away..

Daryl Hall.. John Oates.. go **** yourselves, too!

Reerun_KC
10-30-2017, 10:07 PM
You are so full of shit you fucking mongoloid.

Defend and defect to protect Buttons.

CaliforniaChief
10-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Yeah maybe Terez can break that down. I'd love to know.

ThaVirus
10-30-2017, 10:08 PM
It would probably create too much confusion, particularly in such a young secondary, to yield any benefits.

I'd like to give it a try here and there just to see, though..

MMXcalibur
I simply don't understand why you wouldn't stick your best cornerback on their best receiver. It's mind-boggling.

pugsnotdrugs19
Sutton gonna Sutton.

JakeF
10-30-2017, 10:16 PM
Yeah maybe Terez can break that down. I'd love to know.
The safeties and linebackers get used to knowing that Peters is always going to be on the right and used to how he plays and what he does. When you move your corners the players around them have to adjust. That can create extra mental attention on every play. A breakdown in coverage responsibility can lead to a missed coverage assignment and easy touchdowns. It also allows your corners to get used to playing "right-handed" or "left-handed".

Sutton probably believes that consistency within the defensive scheme is more important than changing the matchup between CBs and WRs.

BigRedChief
10-30-2017, 10:18 PM
I simply don't understand why you wouldn't stick your best cornerback on their best receiver. It's mind-boggling.wellllllwhy not rush your best pass rusher every play? I'm assuming the Peters not moving is a scheme thing.

Easy 6
10-30-2017, 10:18 PM
Not saying I'm onboard with it 100%, but Gruden helped explain the rationale well tonight

Sutton just likes having one side of the field mostly locked up no matter who is there, it affords him more opportunities to mask the the lesser player across from Peters

The objective seems to be knowing exactly what you have on one side, and locking down the other side of the secondary with scheme

Red Dawg
10-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Sutton sucks. His style no longer is working. We suck on defense bad.

Coach
10-30-2017, 10:20 PM
While it probably is the scheme, another thing has to factor into is that some DB's excel better at a certain side of the field.

Like, say you have a switch hitter, he bats .360 on the right side, but bats a .250 on the left side. Your odds of him being successful is keeping him on the side that he's more successful in.

Plus, some DB's are more comfortable covering one side of the field.

Otter
10-30-2017, 10:21 PM
I've thought this as well and from what I've heard from Gruden they rely on Peters to shutdown one side of the field then compensate the other side of the field with more personal. Peters is a right handed dude so maybe he struggles on the other side.</br></br>That sage input comes from my pee wee, midget, and one year of high school football.

Sandy Vagina
10-30-2017, 10:24 PM
I've thought this as well and from what I've heard from Gruden they rely on Peters to shutdown one side of the field then compensate the other side of the field with more personal. Peters is a right handed dude so maybe he struggles on the other side.</br></br>That sage input comes from my pee wee, midget, and one year of high school football.

Don't remember to say for sure, but I remember Peters playing well on the other side just fine at Washington. :hmmm:

CasselGotPeedOn
10-30-2017, 10:33 PM
Defend and defect to protect Buttons.

Dude you're fucking retarded I've hated Sutton for years.

ping2000
10-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Sutton is like frozen caveman lawyer. He can't and won't change.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/b447c8a5608bdf7e3fe5482424dd79ae.jpg

OldSchool
10-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Him sticking to the right side of the field allows him to master his technique and, hopefully, shut down one side of the field so Sutton can shade the help coverage over to the other side.

scho63
10-30-2017, 11:21 PM
I think we have seen Peters jump and move around.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1191076/dick-slang-o.gif

crazycoffey
10-30-2017, 11:39 PM
When it's not working, I totally get questioning it. I'm starting to too. But my understanding is this, we have one shutdown corner. Put him on one side of the field and put less help that direction, makes it easy for the other backs, LBs and even to a degree, the DL; to line up packages knowing Peters has that side.

If we had another capable CB, Sutton could open up his blitz packages, I think this is also why Houston drops back into coverage more than he used to, thinking matchups will to his way favorably if he rushes. It's been successful some, but it's less than ideal, and we've all seen some of the unfavorable results.

But I don't know if we have the personal to do much different. Nelson could help, but he's rusty. We need something else.

-King-
10-31-2017, 01:42 AM
There honestly aren't a whole lot of corners that move around anymore. I think it's just easier and more efficient to shut down a whole side of the field than to cause confusion chasing a WR around.

And it's funny how some of the people who think Sutton sucks because he lets the offense dictate what he does on defense now want him to let where WRs line up dictate what he does with his corners.
Posted via Mobile Device