PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why don't any teams run the Saunders offense?

bobbything
11-01-2017, 11:56 AM
I was thinking about this because of how much I hate our current offensive scheme. Loathe it. Andy maybe I'm partial to it because it was the greatest offense the Chiefs ever had, but I was watching some clips from that team, as well as looking up some stats, and I honestly can't believe no teams run it.

The one thing that stood out to me was that while the Chiefs scored practically at will, they were always way up there in time of possession. That combination, alone, would make you think someone would want to build an offense around Saunders' system.

Anyway, I look forward to more 1st and goals from the 3, lining up in the shotgun, and doing a fake jet sweep option reverse to our third string tight end.

O.city
11-01-2017, 11:59 AM
They had a great offensive line, a very good qb, a great rb and the beat tight end to ever play the game.

Tough to run that offense without the ol

threebag
11-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Jimmy Raye needs your love too

Kman34
11-01-2017, 12:02 PM
The QB has to have a lot of time to run that Offense.... that's why we spent a shit ton of money on the O-line and none on the defense....

Aspengc8
11-01-2017, 12:03 PM
They had a great offensive line, a very good qb, a great rb and the beat tight end to ever play the game.

100% this.

Hoover
11-01-2017, 12:08 PM
our current offensive scheme is pretty damn good if you ask me.

rockymtnchief
11-01-2017, 12:11 PM
This isn't the Arena League!-Herm Edwards

bobbything
11-01-2017, 12:16 PM
100% this.
Let's be honest...Trent Green was fairly unproven when we acquired him. Priest Holmes we picked up for nothing and wasn't supposed to be a starter. Eddie Kennison was just trying to stay alive in the league. Gonzalez and Shields were really our only proven players.

Edit: And I'm not suggesting we run that offense with our current personnel. Just curious why other teams haven't tried to replicate the scheme. I loved watching all the pre-snap shifting to try and reveal the defense. Lots of guard and center pulls to the edge. Lots of misdirection RB screens. Lots and lots and lots of play action. Just don't see anything like it, really.

Pitt Gorilla
11-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Let's be honest...Trent Green was fairly unproven when we acquired him. Priest Holmes we picked up for nothing and wasn't supposed to be a starter. Eddie Kennison was just trying to stay alive in the league. Gonzalez and Shields were really our only proven players.

Roaf wasn’t a proven player? That offensive line was one of the best ever.

bobbything
11-01-2017, 12:23 PM
We picked him up in 2002. I should have clarified with the Gonzalez and Shields mentions...I used them because I was talking about players that were here prior to Vermeil. But yes, as far as players we picked up, Roaf was one of the best.

DaneMcCloud
11-01-2017, 12:24 PM
I was thinking about this because of how much I hate our current offensive scheme

There are several teams currently running the Coryell/Zampese, most prominently, the Dallas Cowboys.

The Redskins, Cleveland and Cincinnati all run it as well.

Clyde Frog
11-01-2017, 12:24 PM
The Worm

BlackHelicopters
11-01-2017, 12:34 PM
MOAR

Bob Dole
11-01-2017, 12:35 PM
We picked him up in 2002. I should have clarified with the Gonzalez and Shields mentions...I used them because I was talking about players that were here prior to Vermeil. But yes, as far as players we picked up, Roaf was one of the best.

You're the main reason I go to The View website for football takes now.

tooge
11-01-2017, 12:35 PM
There are several teams currently running the Coryell/Zampese, most prominently, the Dallas Cowboys.

It's working wonders for Cleveland

Clyde Frog
11-01-2017, 12:40 PM
It's working wonders for Cleveland

To be fair, absolutely nothing "works" for the Browns

bobbything
11-01-2017, 12:40 PM

I suppose you could say that about every team, that they have elements of Coryell in it. I guess I'm talking, specifically, about Saunders' version. Turner had a version, Martz had a version. I haven't really seen Saunders' version implemented. He's still in the league as a WR coach. I suppose I wonder why he isn't an offensive coordinator anywhere.

Demonpenz
11-01-2017, 12:49 PM
The shifting was dumb with Saunders he liked up gonzo at fb and they always shifted to a normal look. No audibles either in Saunders system.

bobbything
11-01-2017, 12:53 PM
The shifting was dumb with Saunders he liked up gonzo at fb and they always shifted to a normal look. No audibles either in Saunders system.

Yeah, I remember the no audible thing. I thought all the shifting was a good move though. I remember Green talking about all the timeouts we burned because we had so many shifts. But he said that it really helped the QB and O-line out because it revealed so much about what the defense was going to do.

TambaBerry
11-01-2017, 12:54 PM
our current offensive scheme is pretty damn good if you ask me.

yeah, so good that when the defense shows obvious blitzes we cant get the ball out fast enough

Frazod
11-01-2017, 12:55 PM
You need a good offensive line for that. We have our offensive line.

Demonpenz
11-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I remember the no audible thing. I thought all the shifting was a good move though. I remember Green talking about all the timeouts we burned because we had so many shifts. But he said that it really helped the QB and O-line out because it revealed so much about what the defense was going to do.
I didn't.mind the shifting but the good teams just sat out there because they knew. T rich was going for te to full back and tg to te. They never ran something weird to keep the defense honest. They really never needed to either since they wee bamf

Aspengc8
11-01-2017, 12:59 PM
The current KC oline has been pretty much all zone blocking scheme. I haven't seen them run ANY variations of power, counter, wham or even iso. No i-form variations, I only see sherman in I form maybe once a game, and sometimes he is on a wing when blocking outside zone.

They have great personnel to run multiple variations of I form with boot & waggle. Nagy & Childress all about that spread.

Fire Me Boy!
11-01-2017, 01:00 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when we picked up Roaf, didn't most think his career was over?

Kiimo
11-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Cleveland is a great example why you don't run that. It's like driving a Ferrari with apple juice in the tank.

bobbything
11-01-2017, 01:08 PM
The current KC oline has been pretty much all zone blocking scheme. I haven't seen them run ANY variations of power, counter, wham or even iso. No i-form variations, I only see sherman in I form maybe once a game, and sometimes he is on a wing when blocking outside zone.

They have great personnel to run multiple variations of I form with boot & waggle. Nagy & Childress all about that spread.
Agreed. I've felt that this offensive line is probably better suited to pulls out of the I. Watching us run straight into Denver's defensive line on 1st down on Monday was infuriating.

I've felt that Reid's scheme is just too gimmicky. Only about one drive per game do we get into a rhythm.

Monday, though, we ran a lot of sets under center (which isn't that common for us). Out of it, we ran a lot more play action than I've ever seen. Hope to see more of it.

Beef Supreme
11-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Why don't they run the wishbone?

Kiimo
11-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Bring back the Schottenheimer power I

Kick the tires on Donnell Bennett and see what he has left.

bobbything
11-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Cleveland is a great example why you don't run that. It's like driving a Ferrari with apple juice in the tank.
As is any offense though.

I guess the question wasn't meant to ask, "Why doesn't every team run it?" Instead, "Why don't more teams build their offense around that scheme?"

Kiimo
11-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Probably because defenses are built around the nickel and dime now to counter the multiple receivers.

Mike in SW-MO
11-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when we picked up Roaf, didn't most think his career was over?

Pretty much. It was not certain if he would return to form. He did and we rode him for 3 or 4 years.

If in love with the Saunders system, don't forget how mundane that high flying offense got as soon as Willie missed a few games.

OldSchool
11-01-2017, 04:11 PM
If this Chiefs team had the same caliber of Offensive Line as the Saunders one did, we'd be scoring 40+ a game with the combo of Hunt, Hill, Kelce, and Smith delivering the ball to everyone.

Reid would jizz himself every night thinking of all of the possibilities as he knows that his OL can hold up forever in protection and also open up any gap in the run game at will.

displacedinMN
11-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Roaf-holy cow. what a big guy.

RustShack
11-01-2017, 06:40 PM
I thought it was just plain figured out. Remember Solari running it here? It wasn’t the same when Saunders ran it with Baltimore either. But yeah the Chiefs and Chargers has some great years with it. Money when you have a great TE, RB, and FB.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Aren't we one of the top offenses in the league this year?

What's wrong with it?

TomBarndtsTwin
11-01-2017, 08:29 PM
They had an all time offensive line, a very good qb, a great rb and the beat tight end to ever play the game.

FYP

I mean, seriously;

Roaf(HOF)/Shields(HOF)/Wiegmann(ProBowler)/Waters(All-Pro)/Tait(Solid RT). That's ****ing insane!

Pitt Gorilla
11-01-2017, 10:08 PM
FYP

I mean, seriously;

Roaf(HOF)/Shields(HOF)/Wiegmann(ProBowler)/Waters(All-Pro)/Tait(Solid RT). That's ****ing insane!As previously noted:

philfree
11-01-2017, 10:41 PM
FYP

I mean, seriously;

Roaf(HOF)/Shields(HOF)/Wiegmann(ProBowler)/Waters(All-Pro)/Tait(Solid RT). That's ****ing insane!

Don't leave out Jason Dunn and T Rich.

OldSchool
11-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Aren't we one of the top offenses in the league this year?

What's wrong with it?

Alex Smith still being quarterback probably has something to do with the people who have an issue with this offense.:rolleyes:

Ming the Merciless
11-01-2017, 10:59 PM
that is an interesting question

Hammock Parties
11-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Several teams still run the Coryell system, including Dallas. Saunders wasn't doing anything new.

Hammock Parties
11-01-2017, 11:04 PM

Yup.

Pretty sure the Rams run a variant of it, too.

I vastly prefer watching that style of offense to all the spread monkey option BS that has infected the league but OL play sucks shit now so not everyone can do it.

lcarus
11-01-2017, 11:08 PM

Plus one hell of a run blocking FB.

lcarus
11-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Don't leave out Jason Dunn and T Rich.

Ah you beat me to it. Christ, I think I could have a bit of success running behind that line.