PDA

View Full Version : Life Any Uber or Lyft Drivers out there?

MahiMike
11-01-2017, 07:49 PM
I'm paying over $300 per month just on car insurance. Was figuring I could get some of that money back by driving for Lyft. Been doing it for a couple months and enjoy it for the most part.

The money is decent to very good. The surge rates are quite nice. I drove over the weekend and halloween and made $500 in about 18 hours of driving.

Have had 1 chick get sick in my car but turned out positive as Lyft charged her and gave me $150 for cleaning fees.

Just wondering if anyone else here is doing this. Let me know how you like it. What kind of car do you drive, tips, tricks, etc.

Thanks

Coach
11-01-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm actually getting started to do this as a side (Lyft), but I'm just confused on one thing. In going to KCI, there is a queue that is in the airport. How does one get in there without having to pay for the economy parking?

Perineum Ripper
11-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Make sure your insurance will cover you in case of an accident

I got a new vehicle and called to add it onto my insurance and the lady asked if I was going to use it as a ride share vehicle and I asked what it was..she said Uber or Lyft..insurance needs to be adjusted because it’s no longer used for a private vehicle

Hamwallet
11-01-2017, 08:08 PM
If my UBER driver was paying $300 a month on car insurance I don’t think I would want to ride with them. Just saying...

MahiMike
11-01-2017, 08:12 PM
I'm actually getting started to do this as a side (Lyft), but I'm just confused on one thing. In going to KCI, there is a queue that is in the airport. How does one get in there without having to pay for the economy parking?

Not sure about KCI but Jax airport is similar. I just circle around until they come out. Just act like I'm a relative picking someone up. Granted, I've only had a couple pickups at the airport. It's one of the last places dominated by the cabs. Lyft usually has good info on this stuff.

lewdog
11-01-2017, 08:20 PM
If my UBER driver was paying $300 a month on car insurance I don’t think I would want to ride with them. Just saying...

Full coverage on a Maserati is expensive!

Pasta Little Brioni
11-01-2017, 08:42 PM
300? WTF?

eDave
11-01-2017, 08:53 PM
300? WTF?

He might have a family.

Rain Man
11-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Full coverage on a Maserati is expensive!

If I had a Lamborghini, I might do the Uber thing one day a month just a freak people out.

Jewish Rabbi
11-01-2017, 09:33 PM
If I had a Lamborghini, I might do the Uber thing one day a month just a freak people out.

Most of the Uber’s I’ve been in are weirdly nice. You can tell that’s how they are paying for the car. People driving BMWs and Audi’s that clearly couldn’t afford them otherwise.

Rain Man
11-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Most of the Uber’s I’ve been in are weirdly nice. You can tell that’s how they are paying for the car. People driving BMWs and Audi’s that clearly couldn’t afford them otherwise.

Interesting. The ones I've been in are what I'd expect, just reasonable mid-tier or lower mid-tier cars. I don't think I've ever been in a luxury car, though admittedly I use it rarely.

DaFace
11-01-2017, 09:39 PM

Back when the Tesla Model S came out, I know there were a lot of stories about people driving them for Uber. Free charging at supercharger stations and free maintenance (for a while anyway) made it a pretty nice payout, and they'd always get good ratings due to the uniqueness of the ride.

Jewish Rabbi
11-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Interesting. The ones I've been in are what I'd expect, just reasonable mid-tier or lower mid-tier cars. I don't think I've ever been in a luxury car, though admittedly I use it rarely.

I also very rarely use it, so we may both be suffering from small sample size.

OldSchool
11-01-2017, 10:39 PM
They have a rental system that you can use. Just have to make sure to hit the quotas for rides, wherever you are, so you don't have to pay the actual rental fees.

Coach
11-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Wait.... $300 a month on car insurance?

Uh, that seems excessive....

*If you have a significant other and kids and have multiple cars, I can see that, but I interpreted this as a single car.

TribalElder
11-01-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm paying over $300 per month just on car insurance. Was figuring I could get some of that money back by driving for Lyft. Been doing it for a couple months and enjoy it for the most part.

The money is decent to very good. The surge rates are quite nice. I drove over the weekend and halloween and made $500 in about 18 hours of driving.

Have had 1 chick get sick in my car but turned out positive as Lyft charged her and gave me $150 for cleaning fees.

Just wondering if anyone else here is doing this. Let me know how you like it. What kind of car do you drive, tips, tricks, etc.

Thanks

300 is insane, call geico or something.

500 in 18 hours is like what 28 ish per hour. Not bad for a side hustle. Does uber/Lyft give you a gas card or have all expenses been deducted from the 500

I can't imagine a scenario where a strange chick barfing in my car would ever be a positive, especially for 150.

Overall though that's a quick 500 in a weekend, might be worth checking out if I ever ran into a need to stack up some loot quickly.

PutQuinnIn
11-01-2017, 11:25 PM
I've noticed pretty much most Lyft drivers in L.A. are black. Why is that?

19now11
11-01-2017, 11:30 PM
they sell crack on the side.:hmmm:

MahiMike
11-02-2017, 07:26 PM

lol. It's 4 cars dude. And I have a 19 yr old son. AND it's Florida. Our insurance sucks cause other folks don't have any.

MIAdragon
11-02-2017, 07:41 PM
500 for 18 hours Of driving, fuck that noise.

lewdog
11-02-2017, 08:08 PM
lol. It's 4 cars dude. And I have a 19 yr old son. AND it's Florida. Our insurance sucks cause other folks don't have any.

I think I found your answer to all of this.

Your 19 year old son pays his own insurance by getting his own job. You save money and the wear on your car.

TinyEvel
11-02-2017, 11:46 PM
80 percent of the Uber and Lyft drivers I've used have either a Hyundai or a Prius.

Rasputin
11-10-2017, 10:22 AM
"but turned out possitive"

Oh now you have Aids? Tuff break man.

rolltide2014
11-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Make sure your insurance will cover you in case of an accident

I got a new vehicle and called to add it onto my insurance and the lady asked if I was going to use it as a ride share vehicle and I asked what it was..she said Uber or Lyft..insurance needs to be adjusted because it’s no longer used for a private vehicle

I just want to echo this as someone who works for an insurance company. I work for a small regional carrier and this is a huge deal for us, so I can only imagine what the huge national carriers are doing to combat this. Homesharing falls in the same boat (AirBnb, Homeaway, VRBO, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyis4dcats.
11-10-2017, 10:52 AM
yeah, hope you told your insurer and I'd suggest an umbrella policy too just to be safe, they are cheap.