PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft NFL Excuses Run Out After Ratings Declines Continue

Pages : [1] 2

Eleazar
11-03-2017, 05:07 AM
NFL's Litany of Excuses Runs Out After Ratings Fall for Second Year

By Lucas Shaw
Bloomberg.com
November 2, 2017, 11:30 AM CDT

TV networks are running out of excuses for the dwindling popularity of the National Football League.

They blamed the election for ratings declines last year, and hurricanes for a soft week one in September. Protests during the national anthem, and President Donald Trump’s criticism of the league, have faded from the headlines.

Advertisers are starting to believe a different explanation: the viewers aren’t coming back. Audiences are down an average 7 percent from a year ago through the first eight weeks of the season, excluding last Monday. That’s on top of a decrease of about 8 percent last season that spurred numerous changes in the broadcasts, from shorter commercials to better matchups earlier in the year.

“There’s just not as many people watching TV the way they used to watch TV,” said Jeremy Carey, managing director of Optimum Sports, a sports marketing agency. “It’s going to be an issue for advertisers when they can’t reach a large-scale audience the way they have.”

With CBS Corp., 21st Century Fox Inc. and Walt Disney Co. set to report earnings in the next few days, analysts are bound to raise questions. These companies have used the popularity of the games to extract additional fees from cable operators, promote other shows on their networks and sell lots of commercials. Pro football games drew about $3.5 billion in ad spending last year, including the postseason, according to SMI Media Inc.

Media companies have spent billions of dollars on the right to air football games, which had been immune to the erosion of viewership for other TV programming. Audiences for TV networks have diminished for years as the growing popularity of online alternatives Netflix and YouTube and the availability of most shows on-demand have reduced the appeal of dramas and comedies. Live TV, like sports, was supposed to be immune, but that theory looks highly questionable now.

Ratings for the NFL suggest the same societal trends are now affecting the league, even if the declines aren’t as dramatic. The drop in game viewership ranges from 5 percent for NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” to 11 percent for the CBS Sunday package. “Monday Night Football,” on Disney’s ESPN, has attracted more fans this year than a year ago, but the numbers are still down from 2015.

Viewership of the four main broadcast networks fell 8.7 percent last year, and 12 percent among adults 18 to 49, an important demographic for advertisers.

CBS’s 11 percent slump for NFL games is the steepest of the networks. Its parent company, which reports earnings after the close Thursday, is more vulnerable than rivals to the trend because the vast majority of its earnings come from the broadcast network. The declines at CBS reinforce a complaint that has gotten louder and louder in recent weeks: The league got greedy in adding the Thursday night game on broadcast.

Reserving top games for Thursday night robbed other time periods of good match-ups. After a nosedive in ratings at “Monday Night Football” last season, the league has scheduled better games for that time period, further damaging Sunday afternoon.

“Ratings declines on both general entertainment and NFL programming could be the single biggest point of focus for investors this quarter, and we’re not sure what media companies can say about the health and tone of the ad market to assuage fears,” Steven Cahall, an analyst with RBC Capital Markets, wrote in a note last month.

Viewership is dropping fast among people under 54 -- a key demographic for advertisers -- and even faster among those 18 to 34. Audiences for games on CBS, NBC and Fox have slid at least 10 percent among that younger cohort.

Advertisers aren’t abandoning the NFL, one of the only places they can still reach more than 10 million people at once. But they are growing concerned. John Schnatter, who appears in TV spots on behalf of his Papa John’s Pizza International Inc., laid into the league on a conference call this week, blaming the ratings for his company’s slow revenue growth and calling for the league to put an end to player protests.

Networks and other advertisers identify a wide range of reasons for the NFL’s struggles. The league has overexposed itself by making highlights available on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Snapchat. Identifiable stars like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers have either retired or gotten hurt. The quality of play has deteriorated. Player protests and concussions have driven away some fans.

Some executives argue viewership of the league has still improved over the long term while dropping for every other show. Yet the amount of time people have spent watching football this season is at the lowest point since 2011, back when there were fewer televised games, according to Mike Mulvihill, Fox Sports’ head of research.

“The cumulative effect of everything happening in the world at large is having an impact on NFL viewership,” Mulvihill said. “ The league was defying the laws of gravity.”

MichaelH
11-03-2017, 05:15 AM
One thing they could do is to make the games more accessible to other viewing mediums like MLB does. As the article states, more people just aren't watching TV the way they used to.

Maybe another thing to do is get rid of the announcers. I find them mostly irritating and turn down the game and turn up the music.

-King-
11-03-2017, 05:36 AM
Name one sport whose ratings didn't go down.

I don't get why people are trying to make it just the NFLs problem as if other leagues aren't seeing falling ratings. I don't understand why no one is mentioning the rise of DVR and cord cutting/streaming as the major cause for falling ratings. I've watched every single Monday night genre this season and all of them were by stream.

Until they figure out a new metric for ratings, we're going to keep seeing falling ratings for tv shows, especially live events
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 05:38 AM
Commercials. Way too many commercials.

thegame214
11-03-2017, 05:48 AM
I don't know many people who even watch them by "channel" anymore. I, along with many others, purely "stream" them through Sunday ticket apps/Fubo/etc...

They need a new metric because I, along with many of you I'm sure, don't even have cable anymore as nearly all "channels" are streamable including CBS, Fox, ESPN.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-03-2017, 05:50 AM
Welp, at least Papa John is screaming butthurt.

Always look for the positives.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-03-2017, 05:52 AM
The demographic that grew up watching pre-Gooddell football is bailing?

Who would have thought?

dallaschiefsfan
11-03-2017, 05:53 AM

I don't get why people are trying to make it just the NFLs problem as if other leagues aren't seeing falling ratings. I don't understand why no one is mentioning the rise of DVR and cord cutting/streaming as the major cause for falling ratings. I've watched every single Monday night genre this season and all of them were by stream.

Until they figure out a new metric for ratings, we're going to keep seeing falling ratings for tv shows, especially live events
Posted via Mobile Device

They have been mentioning other sports...but the NFL has been seen as made out of Teflon - people will change their habits to watch. Well...they won't, now. That's news - and it's bad news for a league that has been a juggernaut. Baseball viewership down? Old news...it's become more of a regional audience for years.

Plus, don't downplay the actual decreases in viewership and the reasons therein. It's anecdotal, but I have plenty of friends who were die hard NFL viewers that have given up on the league the last two years (for excuses that range from "the fix is in" to the politicization of the sport they watch for escape and entertainment).

Best22
11-03-2017, 06:17 AM
Where are OBJ, Watt, Luck, Berry, Edelman, Rodgers, and now Watson

So much star power on the sidelines. That's a factor

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 06:18 AM
Where are OBJ, Watt, Luck, Berry, Edelman, Rodgers, and now Watson

So much star power on the sidelines. That's a factor

There are new stars in the making every year that interest people.

BigRedChief
11-03-2017, 06:19 AM

Always look for the positives.Thats total BS. When his Pizza sales took a dive last time he publicly blamed Obama.

The NFL are greedy fucks.They took Direct TV's money instead of seeing the big picture. They could have charged $20 a game to stream online and made more money and people would have been happier.

Millennial's want their content online. Everyone, well most people know this fact. Right now in America, Millennial's are the largest group of customers in America. The NFL is missing the boat.

threebag
11-03-2017, 06:20 AM
They should hire Mr Plow to suck the poison out

Best22
11-03-2017, 06:20 AM
There are new stars in the making every year that interest people.

True but none of them have the cache of those guys yet. Their replacements are boring. Brett Huntley? Jacoby Brissett?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-03-2017, 06:25 AM
Did anyone read the article? Viewership of the four networks is down 8.7 percent. Over the same time period, viewership of the NFL is down by 7%.

People don't want to be held hostage to a set time and place to watch things.

Chiefnj2
11-03-2017, 06:29 AM
From cnnmoney a few weeks ago:

"Through week seven, the NFL is down 5% overall from the same point last year. That's a troubling drop for the biggest ratings powerhouse on TV, but it seems less dire when you consider that the four major networks are down an average 8% in prime time.
NBC is down 4%, CBS is down 6%, ABC is down 11%, and Fox's prime time viewership dropped 20% through the first month of the new TV season, according to Nielsen data. And those numbers are down despite the inclusion of live sporting events, which usually bring in big audiences.

The NFL's sluggish viewership may be less a symptom of the league's problems and more about what's happening in the TV environment overall. The landscape has become incredibly fragmented, thanks to a flood of programming and competition from streaming services and from the internet, not to mention a 24-hour news cycle that comes with a breathtaking amount of content. Television, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are all vying for the same eyeballs, and there are no signs that the deluge of programming will ebb any time soon.

The numbers for network TV are also partially tied to the NFL's struggles, since CBS and NBC both broadcast games in prime time on Sunday and on Thursday nights.
"Regardless of the declines, the NFL is still by far the highest rated sport on TV and often the most watched broadcast on TV," said Brian Hughes, a senior vice president at Magna, which monitors audience trends. "

jjchieffan
11-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Maybe people are smarter than they think and they are seeing the league fix a Superfarce for a retiring Manning. Then they lose interest. I know that football has lost a lot of appeal for me once I realized that it wasn't a pure competition anymore.

chiefzilla1501
11-03-2017, 06:32 AM
One thing they could do is to make the games more accessible to other viewing mediums like MLB does. As the article states, more people just aren't watching TV the way they used to.

Maybe another thing to do is get rid of the announcers. I find them mostly irritating and turn down the game and turn up the music.

It's one of a million things. First, get rid of that ridiculous directv contract. If people are cutting the cord why would you force them to buy a ridiculous dish? The nfl already offers streaming but you can't get it without directv. You're absolutely right, mlb is one of the few sports with higher ratings and its because they embraced streaming.

It's another example where the nfl chose profit over popularity. When you do that for 20 years, it catches up to you. Sports are most popular when more people watch frequently. The nfl, on the other hand, has priced out many fans from the ridiculously expensive game day experience, they've priced fans out of jerseys because of licensing deals, they've cut off access to millions of viewers who'd gladly buy nfl Sunday ticket if it didn't require access to a dish.

On top of that... Injuries have made the game unbearable, way too many flags, a commissioner who would enforces rules to boost fantasy football numbers, an overdramatic personal conduct enforcement... Yeah, I find myself not loving the nfl like I used to.

PAChiefsGuy
11-03-2017, 06:38 AM
Too many penalties for hard hits, ridiculous fines, constant rule changes, Thursday night games that leave teams unprepared/tired, the London games and protests have killed the NFL. It is only going to get worse until these owners learn to just leave the sport alone and stop being so greedy.

IMO it's these billionaire businessmen who probably have never played any sports in their life that are ruining this game because of their greed.

TEX
11-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Too many penalties for hard hits, ridiculous fines, constant rule changes, Thursday night games that leave teams unprepared/tired, the London games and protests have killed the NFL. It is only going to get worse until these owners learn to just leave the sport alone and stop being so greedy.

IMO it's these billionaire businessmen who probably have never played any sports in their life that are ruining this game because of their greed.

Yea, I never watch the London games (I think that's such a waste) and rarely watch the Thursday games. Not a fan of even having them. It's just too much and way too soon of a turnaround for the players. I also don't watch all the games on Sunday anymore because of all the rules changes, what defines a catch, bad calls, etc.... Once the Chiefs game is done, so am I.

ChiefGator
11-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Yeah, they need to change the way we can access the games. Being out of market, I almost never get Chiefs games on my home tele ( this year of course being a pretty major exception to our primetime games ). If I could select my own game to watch ( and even pay for that single game ) I would watch more each week. I have to look at that dumb NFL coverage map each week to determine which stupid games I get, and which are blacked out completely since I live in Jax, but don't give a hoot about the Jags.

ChiefGator
11-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Yea, I never watch the London games and rarely watch the Thursday games. It's just too much. I also don't watch all the games on Sunday anymore. Once the Chiefs game is done, so am I.

Yeah, it is also over-exposure in games that I don't care about. This is the time of year each year where I lose interest in any non-Chiefs games.. even while playing fantasy football.

notorious
11-03-2017, 06:47 AM
I used to watch every game possible, now it's just Chiefs, and even then I am thinking about doing something else.

I am probably in the minority, but it's officiating for me. The game is harder and harder to watch.

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 06:49 AM
I used to watch every game possible, now it's just Chiefs, and even then I am thinking about doing something else.

I am probably in the minority, but it's officiating for me. The game is harder and harder to watch.

I used to be the same way. Now I listen to the chiefs on nfl mobile more than watch them on tv. Easier and less time consuming.

TEX
11-03-2017, 06:50 AM

The officiating has done me in too for Sunday games. I can barely stomach it watching the Chiefs, but to see it game after game is maddening. :cuss:
So, no more.

oldman
11-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Get rid of the Thursday game, period. The only time I watch that and even MNF is when the Chiefs play. Streaming isn't an option for me since my internet is capped and very expensive, but I would like to have a single game PPV option on my dish.

chiefzilla1501
11-03-2017, 06:59 AM

I'm on the opposite end of the hard hits thing. The nfl hasn't don't nearly enough to stop them. I'm tired of the nfl being a gladiator battle where a few lucky teams limp into the playoffs with their starters. The number 1 thing the nfl can do is figure out how to keep the players on the damn field.

Loneiguana
11-03-2017, 06:59 AM

I don't get why people are trying to make it just the NFLs problem as if other leagues aren't seeing falling ratings.

Some uppity black men made them uncomfortable and in their temper tantrum they want to watch it all burn.

They were reminded they hate the players more then the love the game.

scho63
11-03-2017, 07:07 AM

Yes and yes! :clap::clap:

scho63
11-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Some uppity black men made them uncomfortable and in their temper tantrum they want to watch it all burn.

Your DOTY was well earned! :facepalm:

threebag
11-03-2017, 07:08 AM
"Inmates are running the prison"

Mile High Mania
11-03-2017, 07:13 AM
We consume things differently than we did 5 years ago... 10 years ago.

Streaming games, via DTV (or other) on your mobile devices at a rate not deemed insane is what people want.

We have 10,000 things screaming for our attention on game day - if I'm stuck watching 2 games with teams I don't like, then I'm not watching. That's a lot of the problem.

RunKC
11-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Nobody wants to invest time into a product when their team is screwed. The injuries are taking a big hit to the league.

Guaranteed we'll see a dip from Packers fans bc Rodgers is done and Houston will follow suit shortly.

Most of the games suck these days.

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 07:29 AM

Streaming games, via DTV (or other) on your mobile devices at a rate not deemed insane is what people want.

We have 10,000 things screaming for our attention on game day - if I'm stuck watching 2 games with teams I don't like, then I'm not watching. That's a lot of the problem.

Unless you have Sunday ticket. Most of the games they show you locally are of zero interest to most folks.

Do I really care about nyg and Tampa bay playing when Denver , Oakland or SD is playing at the same time? Nope.

Therefore find other things to do.

bigjosh
11-03-2017, 07:29 AM
Perhaps we are sick of the cowboys and giants being forced down our fucking throats every week. Seriously i stream most of my games through internet websites that dont contribute to ratings. Its a shame they keep contracting with directv for the ticket. I will not pay Directv $200 a month so i can watch football.

I have seen the other side.
The side that lets you pick which game to watch.
And i will continue to use that side.
Until that side decides to part.

https://i.imgur.com/nhr7bou.gif

redfan
11-03-2017, 08:00 AM
As far as the Thurs night games go, it'd be a lot easier to watch if I didn't have to chase down an official stream every time.
Pick a company and stick with it!
Let's just stop with switching the stream providers, please.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Did anyone read the article? Viewership of the four networks is down 8.7 percent. Over the same time period, viewership of the NFL is down by 7%.

People don't want to be held hostage to a set time and place to watch things.

I’ve been saying this for months.

Regardless of whether or not the ratings are down (streaming isn’t included in the Nielsen ratings), there is no other program that can consistently garner 20 million+ viewers per episode like NFL games.

Eleazar
11-03-2017, 08:10 AM
I wonder what the Super Bowl is going to feel like this year. So many of the league's best players recently retired, injured, suspended, declining, etc. There are no great teams out there. I wonder if there won't be some weird matchup that everybody knows should never have happened.

Eleazar
11-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Unless you have Sunday ticket. Most of the games they show you locally are of zero interest to most folks.

Do I really care about nyg and Tampa bay playing when Denver , Oakland or SD is playing at the same time? Nope.

Therefore find other things to do.

I also think they need to get around the silly rules on Sunday regarding games being divided up between networks by conference and some networks getting two games while others only get one. Let the local stations decide which games to air. They could even poll fans on which 'other games' they want to see this week.

Sorce
11-03-2017, 08:29 AM
For me it comes down to a lot of the things already mentioned.

Oversaturation - MNF used to be special, thanksgiving games used to be what you sat down on the couch in a half turkey coma to watch. Now they've added a 3rd game, there is a Thursday game, there is London. I don't have time for all of this and the primetime games have lost their meaning.
The Officiating / Rules - I get tired of games being called differently based on who is playing. Oh this team just plays physical defense the whole game so we aren't gonna call any hits to the head on them. We also don't know what a catch is. DPI is game changing and when teams can pretty much get away with any OPI they want and get DPI calls on half of them it gets unwatchable.
The Protests / Reaction - I don't really care about the protests. I figure if someone wants to use that to make their statement that's fine. The fact that nobody talks about what the players are actually protesting and instead wants to debate whether it's disrespectful every single game is just wearing me out.
Inconsistent Penalties - Fines/Suspensions handed down by the front office are very inconsistent. The league wants to appear tough on domestic violence so it goes after Zeke when it looks like the allegations might have been false but completely ignores other players. Intentionally dive at a QB's knees that's a fine, make contact against a defenseless receiver that was probably not intentional, that's a suspension.

JakeF
11-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Cord cutters don't show up in the ratings system, doesn't mean they aren't watching. They need to change the way the ratings numbers are gathered.

KCrockaholic
11-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Oversaturation - MNF used to be special, thanksgiving games used to be what you sat down on the couch in a half turkey coma to watch. Now they've added a 3rd game, there is a Thursday game, there is London. I don't have time for all of this and the primetime games have lost their meaning.
The Officiating / Rules - I get tired of games being called differently based on who is playing. Oh this team just plays physical defense the whole game so we aren't gonna call any hits to the head on them. We also don't know what a catch is. DPI is game changing and when teams can pretty much get away with any OPI they want and get DPI calls on half of them it gets unwatchable.
The Protests / Reaction - I don't really care about the protests. I figure if someone wants to use that to make their statement that's fine. The fact that nobody talks about what the players are actually protesting and instead wants to debate whether it's disrespectful every single game is just wearing me out.
Inconsistent Penalties - Fines/Suspensions handed down by the front office are very inconsistent. The league wants to appear tough on domestic violence so it goes after Zeke when it looks like the allegations might have been false but completely ignores other players. Intentionally dive at a QB's knees that's a fine, make contact against a defenseless receiver that was probably not intentional, that's a suspension.

This reminds me of how the Raiders literally wore down the referees with all their OPI during the Chiefs game. The Raiders knew if they just did it every play that eventually the refs would give up on the call or they'd just wait until it was extremely blatant to call it. The Crabtree TD at the very end was exactly the same as the Austin Seferian-Jenkins TD in last nights game, except it was called OPI in the Jets game. When referees control a game based on their subjective flags, it ruins the game.

HemiEd
11-03-2017, 09:06 AM

Do people actually watch games on their phones? I pads? Laptops?

I am to the point where I am thinking about replacing the 12 year old 50 inch Tv, wanting a bigger one.

lcarus
11-03-2017, 09:12 AM
I've never understood how ratings work anyway. How can they accurately know how many people are truly watching a certain game? Or even make a ballpark estimation?

Strongside
11-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the digital age.

Working in advertising, I know that TV viewership is down across the board. It's not just the NFL. Advertisers aren't willing to shell out the cash on big TV campaigns like they were 5 or 6 years ago...it's a dying medium.

The fact that the NFL continues to be perplexed by their declining ratings is comical to me. The funny part is that, while fewer people are probably watching football today than 5 or 6 years ago...it's not as drastic as the ratings may show. I don't watch games on TV. I stream them, and so do millions of others on a weekly basis. I don't even HAVE cable anymore.

Until they figure out how to start accounting for streaming, they'll never truly know what their viewership numbers are. And even then, figuring out how to advertise to a streaming audience that isn't paying attention, uses ad blockers, etc. is an entirely different issue.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Yes

ClevelandBronco
11-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Might be due in part to the fact that the Broncos suck Kevin Spacey ass this season, but I'm missing more games and just checking scores after the games are over. Turns out that I've seen enough football to know what it looks like without watching a game as it's happening.

I'm not pissed. I'm not protesting. I'm not boycotting. I'm just a little bored by the NFL's current interpretation of football.

The Franchise
11-03-2017, 09:28 AM
1. Get rid of Thursday night games. They're generally horrible and not worth watching. And unless it's my team playing in it....I'm not rushing home right after work to turn on the TV and watch football on a Thursday night.

2. Bring back NFL Europe. The NFL is in dire need of a developmental league that allows these players to transition from the college level to the pros.

3. Offer team packages to fans. Want to watch all of your teams games? Pay $125-$150 a season and we'll allow you to stream them on NFL.com every week.

4. Most importantly....fix the way penalties are called. It's pretty bad when even the most casual fan can watch a game and call out the refs for bullshit penalties or blatant penalties that aren't called.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 09:33 AM

And yet the Chiefs ratings are up this year more than 5%, bucking the national trend.

The reason for the decline in ratings is as follows:

1. 2014 was the NFL's ratings peak and most insiders knew that the decline was going to happen at some point in the near future.

2. Mobile watching is a real factor. Twitter paid $50 million to stream Thursday night games last year, Amazon paid $50 million this year. Verizon offers every NFL game via their service so people are watching on phones and tablets.

3. Streaming, illegal and legal, has taken a chunk of viewers from traditional watching to new age.

4. Red Zone TV is a huge factor. Why watch a single game when you can watch scoring plays as they happen?

5. NFL Game Mix: Similar to above. When the Chiefs aren't playing, I'll generally have Game Mix on with the sound muted so I can keep an eye on all of the day's action.

6. Bad big market/popular teams. It's no secret that when the Giants, Jets, Cowboys, Redskins and Packers suck, the ratings are down. The Chargers ratings are abysmal and aren't even being counted. The Bay Area's ratings are off as well, which shouldn't be surprising when they host 0-8 and 3-4 teams.

Mobile and streaming numbers aren't included in the Nielsen ratings, which definitely accounts for more than a few percent. Until Nielson or some other company can track streams, the ratings will likely be off.

But again, the sky isn't falling. There isn't a single program that can haul 20+ million viewers per episode these days, let alone, 26 million, as some NFL games have this season.

Eleazar
11-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Might be due in part to the fact that the Broncos suck Kevin Spacey ass this season, but I'm missing more games and just checking scores after the games are over. Turns out that I've seen enough football to know what it looks like without watching a game as it's happening.

I'm not pissed. I'm not protesting. I'm not boycotting. I'm just a little bored by the NFL's current interpretation of football.

Yeah, the amount of non-Chiefs games I am watching has been declining steadily the last few years for basically this reason.

lcarus
11-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the digital age.

Working in advertising, I know that TV viewership is down across the board. It's not just the NFL. Advertisers aren't willing to shell out the cash on big TV campaigns like they were 5 or 6 years ago...it's a dying medium.

The fact that the NFL continues to be perplexed by their declining ratings is comical to me. The funny part is that, while fewer people are probably watching football today than 5 or 6 years ago...it's not as drastic as the ratings may show. I don't watch games on TV. I stream them, and so do millions of others on a weekly basis. I don't even HAVE cable anymore.

Until they figure out how to start accounting for streaming, they'll never truly know what their viewership numbers are. And even then, figuring out how to advertise to a streaming audience that isn't paying attention, uses ad blockers, etc. is an entirely different issue.

Seems like it'd be easier to accurately gauge viewer numbers with internet streaming than with the stupid Nielsen tv ratings system. I know myself along with my family members have always had cable or satellite since the 80s. Until a couple years ago. Now we all cut it off and just watch stuff online or an HD antenna for local broadcasts.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 09:37 AM
1. Get rid of Thursday night games. They're generally horrible and not worth watching.

I don't have an issue with the idea of a Thursday night game but the execution is poor because the players aren't rested.

After the initial Thursday Night game to kick off the season, the NFL should introduce Thursday night games Week 5 and feature teams that are coming off their Bye Week. That way, players will be well rested coming into the Thursday night game and have additional days off until their next Sunday game.

Also, fuck having shitty teams on Thursday Night. If the NFL wants to improve their ratings, only 1st and 2nd place teams from the prior season should be featured on Thursday night.

Nobody wants to sit through Tennessee vs. Jacksonville or in last night's case, Buffalo vs. the Jets.

Boring.

Bugeater
11-03-2017, 09:38 AM
I haven't watched a single game all year that didn't have the Chiefs playing in it, and I haven't even watched all of them in their entirety. It has nothing to do with my TV viewing habits and everything to do with it being an uninteresting shit product.

lcarus
11-03-2017, 09:38 AM
I heard they were planning on cutting 10 Thursday games next season.

The Franchise
11-03-2017, 09:39 AM
I don't have an issue with the idea of a Thursday night game but the execution is poor because the players aren't rested.

After the initial Thursday Night game to kick off the season, the NFL should introduce Thursday night games Week 5 and feature teams that are coming off their Bye Week. That way, players will be well rested coming into the Thursday night game and have additional days off until their next Sunday game.

Also, fuck having shitty teams on Thursday Night. If the NFL wants to improve their ratings, only 1st and 2nd place teams from the prior season should be featured on Thursday night.

Nobody wants to sit through Tennessee vs. Jacksonville or in last night's case, Buffalo vs. the Jets.

Boring.

I'm fine with that. I still probably wouldn't watch them though.

Bugeater
11-03-2017, 09:41 AM

Boring.
Putting premier matchups on Thursday nights screws FOX and CBS out of their best Sunday games, and it also screws the fans.

Get rid of it entirely.

And the asinine London games as well.

Give the fucking league back to the fans for crissakes.

Randallflagg
11-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Only an opinion, but I began watching the NFL when they first began broadcasting games. Folks back then LOVED the idea of football on TV. Then, along came Monday Night Football and it was GREAT!!

Then came Sunday NIGHT Football and then Thursday night football. Honest to god - I think that one of the prime reasons for the drop in viewership is "overkill".

The game has changed over the years as well. Now? there are 100 flags during a game. This isn't allowed, that isn't allowed. This hit is "bad" while this hit is OK.

There are FAR too many commercials during the average game. I get the idea that sponsors want the commercial time but holy shit!

Cable and Satellite services are being dropped at a phenomenal rate. People just can't afford $200 a month for television. Hell, we dropped DirecTv a couple of months ago and STILL haven't missed a Chiefs game (which, coincidentally, is the only game I watch these days).

People have attributed the loss of viewership to the protests and I think, that to a certain extent, they may be right. Football to many was the last bastion of "'Murica!" and now, it seems to many like even that is going by the way. So, I'm sure that there is that segment of society that said "to hell with the NFL" and moved on to something else.

None of this is actually "provable" - but there it is...

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Putting premier matchups on Thursday nights screws FOX and CBS out of their best Sunday games, and it also screws the fans.

Well, not really. CBS has the rights to Thursday night games and last year (or 2 years ago, I can't remember) CBS and NBC broadcast eight games each while the NFL Network simulcast the games.

Also, CBS and Fox have bigger issues with Flexed games to Sunday night than Thursday night matchups, although there is monetary compensation when games are Flexed.

Stewie
11-03-2017, 10:04 AM
The officiating has done me in too for Sunday games. I can barely stomach it watching the Chiefs, but to see it game after game is maddening. :cuss:
So, no more.

I watched a game last week that was officiated by Hoculi's crew. The announcers said they average 27 penalty calls per game. That's insane.

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 10:14 AM
I watched a game last week that was officiated by Hoculi's crew. The announcers said they average 27 penalty calls per game. That's insane.

Sadly the officials think they NEED to be part of the production as well. They like their influence know and they like their air time.

Sadly no one on the planet cares to ever see them on tv.

bigjosh
11-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Cord cutters don't show up in the ratings system, doesn't mean they aren't watching. They need to change the way the ratings numbers are gathered.

I am a cord cutter, my ratings are recorded just fine...

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Cord cutters don't show up in the ratings system

False.

Local OTA viewership is part of the Nielsen ratings system.

Streaming is not.

Nzoner
11-03-2017, 10:36 AM
I’ve been saying this for months.

Regardless of whether or not the ratings are down (streaming isn’t included in the Nielsen ratings), there is no other program that can consistently garner 20 million+ viewers per episode like NFL games.

I just started the Nielsen diary yesterday for the next week.Sunday's logging should be interesting with 5-6 guys in the gameroom and football on 7 tv's for the whole day.

Seriously though if it weren't for fantasy football and the excitement of gambling my viewership would be way down.

3rd&Long
11-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Media advertising is forever in a state of flux. Just as the internet is choking out newspapers, yellow pages and direct mail, streaming platforms are taking a bite out of terrestrial and satellite TV viewership. It's getting tougher to reach a precise demo target due to all the fragmentation. The market will correct itself for a time until the next revolutionary choice is introduced that might super serve a key demographic group.

This is the normal evolution of the industry and what it means is that the over the air and network operators and going to have to readjust their income projections downward which will trickle down to the NFL franchises until new ways are created to bilk the public.

bigjosh
11-03-2017, 10:49 AM
False.

Local OTA viewership is part of the Nielsen ratings system.

Streaming is not.

Yep, Antenna is recorded.

Even streaming is recorded now dane. they hook up fire tv, roku, and other media streaming devices to their setup. I am not sure how the data is used, or if it is included in the overall ratings though.

TinyEvel
11-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Do you know anyone, ANYONE, who has said “I’m not going to watch NFL games any more because of the player protests.”
It’s purely due to viewing habits/online.

bigjosh
11-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Do you know anyone, ANYONE, who has said “I’m not going to watch NFL games any more because of the player protests.”

I do know a few people who have said that. They are not really fans of football though, and more likely just watch some of the patriots primetime games/playoff games because that is what a typical patriots "fan" does.

ChiefsCountry
11-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Not a popular opinion on this board but Chiefs being on so many national tv games aren't good for ratings either. Small tv market hurts even when the local market ratings are good.

Bowser
11-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Oh I've heard guys say it, but every Sunday - there they are, glued to the TV.

O.city
11-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Not a popular opinion on this board but Chiefs being on so many national tv games aren't good for ratings either. Small tv market hurts even when the local market ratings are good.

Maybe

But they have played bigger name draws in the prime time games.

Simply Red
11-03-2017, 11:18 AM

Always look for the positives.

It was truly Totino's that has hurt Papa John's.

ChiefGator
11-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Yeah, they are also pulling teams out from cities and moving them now... I'm sure viewership has been greatly reduced by Charger and Ram fans, and certainly some Raider fans.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 11:48 AM

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I looked into Spectrum TV because I was so aggravated at the officiating of the Raiders game and that a good friend here in SoCal, that's also a Chiefs fan, made the switch.

He cut off his Direct TV service and switched to Spectrum after the Chiefs loss to Oakland and he was heading into first weekend without the Sunday Ticket in more than 17 years.

Cut it on October 20th. Done. Nada.

Fast forward one week and I receive a text from him that says "Dude, I couldn't take it. Even ONE Sunday without Sunday Ticket was brutal. I called and got for free, along with a bunch of other discounts".

Chiefnj2
11-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Yeah, they are also pulling teams out from cities and moving them now... I'm sure viewership has been greatly reduced by Charger and Ram fans, and certainly some Raider fans.

3 biggest markets:
1. NY - Giants are abysmal and everyone wrote off the Jets before the season started.
2. SF/Oakland - One horrible team, one team moving.
3. Chicago - poor team.

notorious
11-03-2017, 11:57 AM
I just started the Nielsen diary yesterday for the next week.Sunday's logging should be interesting with 5-6 guys in the gameroom and football on 7 tv's for the whole day.

Seriously though if it weren't for fantasy football and the excitement of gambling my viewership would be way down.

Yes.

The core game itself leaves a lot to be desired. I don't know if it's because I've changed or the game.

Fish
11-03-2017, 12:06 PM

Yeah. More than a few. I've even got a friend on Facebook that was leaving comments anytime someone posted about watching NFL games trying to shame them into not watching. Which went over well...

BigCatDaddy
11-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Some and some only watch Chief games now. It has had an impact for sure.

Simply Red
11-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Yeah. More than a few. I've even got a friend on Facebook that was leaving comments anytime someone posted about watching NFL games trying to shame them into not watching. Which went over well...

I know two as well - one will still watch his teams' game - but that's it.

ModSocks
11-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

The only one's really denying this are conservatives that want to believe it's due to players kneeling...and Trump.

Anyone with half a fucking brain can see what's occurring here.

ForeverChiefs58
11-03-2017, 12:21 PM

Type in “nfl burn notice“ on YouTube and see how many fans burn gear, tickets etc and swear off the NFL.

Fans from different teams burning their NFL stuff.

Every male on my block won’t even watch the NFL anymore. I went from watching every game possible to only watching the chiefs. Kneeling has caused a big fan base to turn elsewhere. No surprise viewing is down.

My neighborhood had a Halloween party and everyone was talking about they don’t even watch Monday night football anymore.

I have to watch because oh sure now the Chiefs will make it to the SB and no one will be watching or care lol

cosmo20002
11-03-2017, 12:56 PM
A lot of grumpy old man complaining in here. Not sure why the average fan gives a shit about TV ratings in the first place.

Don't want to watch the Thursday night game? Then don't watch. No need to be pissed that it is taking place. The NFL will quit playing Thursday when they decide it isn't financially beneficial for them.

Complaining about too many penalties...you want them to call penalties or not?

The refs are the same as they always were. Replay and a million hi-def slo-mo angles just makes it easier to see the slightest thing they missed and have plays overturned.

vailpass
11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
A lot of grumpy old man complaining in here. Not sure why the average fan gives a shit about TV ratings in the first place.

Don't want to watch the Thursday night game? Then don't watch. No need to be pissed that it is taking place. The NFL will quit playing Thursday when they decide it isn't financially beneficial for them.

Complaining about too many penalties...you want them to call penalties or not?

The refs are the same as they always were. Replay and a million hi-def slo-mo angles just makes it easier to see the slightest thing they missed and have plays overturned.

Shut the fuck up.

jimidollar
11-03-2017, 01:53 PM
People are tired of seeing the Patriots win every fucking year. Shit gets old.

BigCatDaddy
11-03-2017, 02:06 PM
LMAO
The people saying the protest isnt having an effect are the same ones that said Kap wouldnt be viewed as toxic and have no trouble finding a job.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 02:15 PM
LMAO
The people saying the protest isnt having an effect are the same ones that said Kap wouldnt be viewed as toxic and have no trouble finding a job.

It's not having an effect on Chiefs fans, as the Chiefs ratings are up.

BigCatDaddy
11-03-2017, 02:16 PM
It's not having an effect on Chiefs fans, as the Chiefs ratings are up.

Those are pretty much the only ones I watch. I track scores and fantasy info on my phone.

And if KC was 2-6 I probably wouldn't watch them either.

sedated
11-03-2017, 02:20 PM
LMAO

Greg Hardy got a job. Leonard Little got a job.

I don't think it was mere stupidity that developed the opinion Kaep would have no trouble playing again, just ignorance to how NFL teams/fans can easily overlook a wife-beater and virtually any other violent crime but ostracize a player who is perceived as disrespecting a symbol.

BigCatDaddy
11-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Greg Hardy got a job. Leonard Little got a job.

I don't think it was mere stupidity that developed the opinion Kaep would have no trouble playing again, just ignorance to how NFL teams/fans can easily overlook a wife-beater and virtually any other violent crime but ostracize a player who is perceived as disrespecting a symbol.

The difference is having isolated incidents and week after week pissing of the fan base.

If a player showed up and beat his wife in front of the fans before the game each week you might have an arguement.

jjchieffan
11-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Might be due in part to the fact that the Broncos suck Kevin Spacey ass this season, but I'm missing more games and just checking scores after the games are over. Turns out that I've seen enough football to know who the league wants to win without watching a game as it's happening.

I'm not pissed. I'm not protesting. I'm not boycotting. I'm just a little bored by the fact that the Donks are not currently a favored team getting all the breaks.

FYP

chiefzilla1501
11-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Type in “nfl burn notice“ on YouTube and see how many fans burn gear, tickets etc and swear off the NFL.

Fans from different teams burning their NFL stuff.

Every male on my block won’t even watch the NFL anymore. I went from watching every game possible to only watching the chiefs. Kneeling has caused a big fan base to turn elsewhere. No surprise viewing is down.

My neighborhood had a Halloween party and everyone was talking about they don’t even watch Monday night football anymore.

I have to watch because oh sure now the Chiefs will make it to the SB and no one will be watching or care lol

I have lots of friends who barely watch the nfl too after years of being a diehard and they don't give a shit about protests. The kids... Even worse. They'd rather play video games or play with their phones. I'm sure its been a factor but not nearly as big as its made out to be. What's the explanation for nascars atrocious ratings? Or the NBA.

Stewie
11-03-2017, 02:28 PM
3 biggest markets:
1. NY - Giants are abysmal and everyone wrote off the Jets before the season started.
2. SF/Oakland - One horrible team, one team moving.
3. Chicago - poor team.

I think you need to readjust the definition of "biggest markets." Two that you mention aren't in the top 3 markets that have NFL teams.

BigCatDaddy
11-03-2017, 02:30 PM
<B> I have lots of friends </B>who barely watch the nfl too after years of being a diehard and they don't give a shit about protests. The kids... Even worse. They'd rather play video games or play with their phones. I'm sure its been a factor but not nearly as big as its made out to be. What's the explanation for nascars atrocious ratings? Or the NBA.

At that point everyone knew the rest was bullshit.

Bugeater
11-03-2017, 02:42 PM
I have lots of friends who barely watch the nfl too after years of being a diehard and they don't give a shit about protests. The kids... Even worse. They'd rather play video games or play with their phones. I'm sure its been a factor but not nearly as big as its made out to be. What's the explanation for nascars atrocious ratings? Or the NBA.
I think NASCAR's ratings are down for similar reasons...to me it's just not that interesting anymore. Something got lost when they went to the CoT, they ruined Bristol, boring cookie cutter tracks in place of classic ones like Darlington and North Wilkesboro, drivers aren't allowed to have personalities anymore, constant changes in the rules...I could go on and on.

Hydrae
11-03-2017, 02:49 PM
I think NASCAR's ratings are down for similar reasons...to me it's just not that interesting anymore. Something got lost when they went to the CoT, they ruined Bristol, boring cookie cutter tracks in place of classic ones like Darlington and North Wilkesboro, drivers aren't allowed to have personalities anymore, constant changes in the rules...I could go on and on.

Go back about 10-15 years ago and I watched NASCAR every Sunday when it was not NFL season and even some during the season. The whole playoffs crap is what really turned me off. I may watch parts of a few races a year now. No real interest any more.

chiefzilla1501
11-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Yup. That's the way I feel about the NFL. And I could give two shits about the protests.

College football is still fun to watch. But in the NFL... I'm tired of injuries and penalties. I despise Thursday night football and London games with every inch of my body. I'm tired of watching the same QBs win every week and to get screwed over by refs who are getting worse enforcing rules that favor those same QBs. I hate that they turned the NFL draft into a great time of the year into a circus. Every single no good lousy decision seems to have Goodell's idiot fingerprints on them.

TinyEvel
11-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Okay, so of the people you know who’ve stopped watching games because of the protests, is it because they are siding with the protestors (not watching until steps are made to create equality and reduce police brutality toward people of color) or is it because they don’t want to see people protesting, they hate that and it’s ruined the game for them.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 03:48 PM
I think you need to readjust the definition of "biggest markets." Two that you mention aren't in the top 3 markets that have NFL teams.

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas-Fort Worth
6. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

thegame214
11-03-2017, 03:51 PM
At that point everyone knew the rest was bullshit.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Deberg_1990
11-03-2017, 04:18 PM
I think most of it is just generational and changing viewing habits. Cord-cutting which has already been mentioned.

Ive read that 40 years ago, the most popular sports in the US were Baseball, Boxing and Horse racing.

There is soooo much competition for the entertainment dollar nowadays. So many more options than 40, 30, 20 even 10 years ago.

Times change....

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-03-2017, 04:25 PM
LMAO

Know how I know you didn't read the article?

rico
11-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Okay, so of the people you know who’ve stopped watching games because of the protests, is it because they are siding with the protestors (not watching until steps are made to create equality and reduce police brutality toward people of color) or is it because they don’t want to see people protesting, they hate that and it’s ruined the game for them.

The ones I know who have stopped watching, have done so because they don't want to see or hear about the protests.

My dad stopped watching and stopped maintaining or even checking his fantasy football teams because of the protests... So did my brother. One of my best friends stopped watching, not necessarily because he is offended by the protests, but because he is sick of hearing about them/seeing them when he watches. A couple guys I work with did this as well. A few acquaintances here and there. Really, I know of quite a few people from my area who stopped watching because of it.

It's been really annoying. These NFL players are going to feel the way they do about sociological/political issues and that is their right and no one should ever prevent them from formulating their opinions. However, it becomes annoying if they actually believe their protests during football games are going to accomplish anything in their favor. It becomes even more annoying when some (probably most) of these players don't even understand the reasons as to why they are protesting...they are doing it while simultaneously not understanding the complexities of the situation and/or are attempting to garner attention via being the distraction that they know it is causing. It annoys me when I want to have an NFL football conversation with someone who usually enjoys the NFL, but cuts me off mid-sentence to let me know that they aren't watching because they are disgruntled about the protests.

I'm not going to get into their right to protest and what-not...I understand that it's their right to do what they are doing...It's just annoying because I see what they are doing as being counter-productive. Yes, I understand that I am from a non-populated area, so there is probably a smaller, less diverse sample size in terms of who I have spoken to. But it's not like there aren't multiple regions across the nation that are similar to my own...it adds up. For these players who actually do feel passionate about the sociological issues they claim to be protesting and are trying to make a statement (not just try to garner attention), I just wish they would make their statement somewhere else or in some different way because purposely protesting during the games will accomplish nothing for their cause. If anything, it will make things worse. I enjoy the NFL and really dislike the apathy of the longtime fans that has resulted due to the protests.

Fish
11-03-2017, 04:42 PM
The ones I know who have stopped watching, have done so because they don't want to see or hear about the protests.

My dad stopped watching and stopped maintaining or even checking his fantasy football teams because of the protests... So did my brother. One of my best friends stopped watching, not necessarily because he is offended by the protests, but because he is sick of hearing about them/seeing them when he watches. A couple guys I work with did this as well. A few acquaintances here and there. Really, I know of quite a few people from my area who stopped watching because of it.

It's been really annoying. These NFL players are going to feel the way they do about sociological/political issues and that is their right and no one should ever prevent them from formulating their opinions. However, it becomes annoying if they actually believe their protests during football games are going to accomplish anything in their favor. It becomes even more annoying when some (probably most) of these players don't even understand the reasons as to why they are protesting...they are doing it while simultaneously not understanding the complexities of the situation and/or are attempting to garner attention via being the distraction that they know it is causing. It annoys me when I want to have an NFL football conversation with someone who usually enjoys the NFL, but cuts me off mid-sentence to let me know that they aren't watching because they are disgruntled about the protests.

I'm not going to get into their right to protest and what-not...I understand that it's their right to do what they are doing...It's just annoying because I see what they are doing as being counter-productive. Yes, I understand that I am from a non-populated area, so there is probably a smaller, less diverse sample size in terms of who I have spoken to. But it's not like there aren't multiple regions across the nation that are similar to my own...it adds up. For these players who actually do feel passionate about the sociological issues they claim to be protesting and are trying to make a statement (not just try to garner attention), I just wish they would make their statement somewhere else or in some different way because purposely protesting during the games will accomplish nothing for their cause. If anything, it will make things worse. I enjoy the NFL and really dislike the apathy of the longtime fans that has resulted due to the protests.

Man, that's some bullshit.

rico
11-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Man, that's some bullshit.

Yeah... pisses me off. One of the leagues is one that I am commissioner of, so I am constantly on them about it because obviously when they stop maintaining their lineups, it makes things unfair for the other people who are still participating. It's been a headache.

Dinny Bossa Nova
11-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Yeah... pisses me off. One of the leagues is one that I am commissioner of, so I am constantly on them about it because obviously when they stop maintaining their lineups, it makes things unfair for the other people who are still participating. It's been a headache.

Look on the bright side, little buddy.

You're not the only dipshit in the family.

Dinny

rico
11-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Dinny

Alright.....

Bugeater
11-03-2017, 06:26 PM
LMAO

JohnnyV13
11-03-2017, 07:21 PM
DicrecTV has a streaming service. Just launched recently. No dish.

DaFace
11-03-2017, 07:22 PM
DicrecTV has a streaming service. Just launched recently. No dish.

Still doesn't include any way to buy NFL Sunday Ticket, nor does it have anywhere near the same number of channels the satellite-based service has.

DaFace
11-03-2017, 07:27 PM
To me, it's a combination of a ton of things, including:

Changing preferences (half of my friends give zero fucks about sports, and I'm in my 30's; younger kids seem to have even less interest)

A constant stream of decisions that have been made in the past ~15 years that have slowed the game down, increased the role that subjective officiating plays, and reduced the amount of athleticism in the game through far fewer practices and rules that have removed big hits (though I don't disagree with that one philosophically, you have to admit that "jacked up" was more fun)
The sports media, like all media, trying to make "news" out of every little controversy rather than just focusing on the game.

ForeverChiefs58
11-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Which one of you is this?

https://youtu.be/wIan2Zpg4YI

More

https://youtu.be/ZWPnz-damdA

https://youtu.be/7EfHsLB6v8s

Sorce
11-03-2017, 10:01 PM
For those who doubt the officiating being part of the decline: https://deadspin.com/take-away-the-refs-mics-1820074611

You can go back and look at the average penalties per team per game over the past nine years and see it:

2017 6.86
2016 6.64
2015 6.87
2014 6.60
2013 6.08
2012 6.22
2011 6.32
2010 6.02
2009 5.93

threebag
11-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Which one of you is this?

https://youtu.be/wIan2Zpg4YI

More

https://youtu.be/ZWPnz-damdA

https://youtu.be/7EfHsLB6v8s

BigRedChief or one of the Floridians

BigCatDaddy
11-03-2017, 10:22 PM
For those who doubt the officiating being part of the decline: https://deadspin.com/take-away-the-refs-mics-1820074611

1 penalty more per game does the trick, huh?

Rain Man
11-03-2017, 11:06 PM
If I had to rank the reasons for the decline, I'd go with...

1. More ways to watch, including ways that don't get measured. Fantasy football is probably responsible for a decline because a bunch of people now just watch those scoring summary shows. Others don't bother watching live because they can get a replay later.

2. Less interest in football due to the rise of video games and other electronic entertainment.

3. Less interesting seasons because it's always going to be the Patriots, Packers, and Steelers for the past two decades. And your team has no chance without a lights-out quarterback.

4. Less interesting games because it's more about marketing big-name players and scoring lots of points than it is about sports and teamwork. It's becoming obvious that it's a business, and rule changes and enforcement hammer it home.

5. Less interesting games because defense isn't allowed.

6. Cheating by a few teams that tilts the table.

7. Less interest because fewer kids are playing due to health concerns.

8. Aqib Talib.

cosmo20002
11-03-2017, 11:52 PM

Less than 1? OMG

I wonder which penalties people would rather not have called. Which should be ignored?

BlackOp
11-04-2017, 12:33 AM
John Schnatter, who appears in TV spots on behalf of his Papa John’s Pizza International Inc., laid into the league on a conference call this week, blaming the ratings for his company’s slow revenue growth and calling for the league to put an end to player protests.

This is why the NFL is dying...you have the owner of a Pizza company ordering the owners of the NFL to do change things to increase his revenue growth.

This is partially why you get the predetermined SB match-ups and the rigged outcomes.

The NFL is merely a televised vehicle to sell unrelated products now...essentially, they pay their bills. The NFL answers to them...

11-04-2017, 01:00 AM
This is why the NFL is dying...you have the owner of a Pizza company ordering the owners of the NFL to do change things to increase his revenue growth.

This is partially why you get the predetermined SB match-ups and the rigged outcomes.

The NFL is merely a televised vehicle to sell unrelated products now...essentially, they pay their bills. The NFL answers to them...

I'd love to get back to the day when all that mattered was the win. Not the money, not the bottom line.

Yes, I know owners are always about the money and bottom line, but I don't think they give a shit about the win anymore.

Mosbonian
11-04-2017, 05:26 AM

Not me....that guy has way too much hair than us older guys.

threebag
11-04-2017, 05:38 AM
LMAO

:thumb:

HemiEd
11-04-2017, 06:22 AM
I think most of it is just generational and changing viewing habits. Cord-cutting which has already been mentioned.

Ive read that 40 years ago, the most popular sports in the US were Baseball, Boxing and Horse racing.

There is soooo much competition for the entertainment dollar nowadays. So many more options than 40, 30, 20 even 10 years ago.

Times change....

Great point.

I have posted it before, but in the 70s and into the 80s Tennis was a huge deal, on prime time on a regular basis. Jimmy Connors, Chis Evert etc. were household names.

NHRA drag racing has been fighting this problem for decades, the fan demographic is getting very old.

I think all of the points in this thread are contributors. Nobody went to SBI nor did many care. I doubt if it gets back to that point, but I think the NFL is going to continue to see a decline.

chiefzilla1501
11-04-2017, 06:32 AM
If I had to rank the reasons for the decline, I'd go with...

1. More ways to watch, including ways that don't get measured. Fantasy football is probably responsible for a decline because a bunch of people now just watch those scoring summary shows. Others don't bother watching live because they can get a replay later.

2. Less interest in football due to the rise of video games and other electronic entertainment.

3. Less interesting seasons because it's always going to be the Patriots, Packers, and Steelers for the past two decades. And your team has no chance without a lights-out quarterback.

4. Less interesting games because it's more about marketing big-name players and scoring lots of points than it is about sports and teamwork. It's becoming obvious that it's a business, and rule changes and enforcement hammer it home.

5. Less interesting games because defense isn't allowed.

6. Cheating by a few teams that tilts the table.

7. Less interest because fewer kids are playing due to health concerns.

8. Aqib Talib.

Bring in a new commissioner. Tear up that ridiculous directv contract unless it comes with streaming options, and offer an mlb like package of media options. Get rid of arbitrary flags and let players have personalities again. Renegotiate the CBA with a genuine interest in player safety, starting with extending offseason conditioning programs. Get rid of tnf and concentrate 100% of energy on getting marquee snf and mnf games. Get rid of London and focus on the home court.

All pretty simple things to do for owners who care more about the game than the $.

TinyEvel
11-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Great point.

I have posted it before, but in the 70s and into the 80s Tennis was a huge deal, on prime time on a regular basis. Jimmy Connors, Chis Evert etc. were household names.

NHRA drag racing has been fighting this problem for decades, the fan demographic is getting very old.

I think all of the points in this thread are contributors. Nobody went to SBI nor did many care. I doubt if it gets back to that point, but I think the NFL is going to continue to see a decline.

I agree. I mean, when was the last time you saw roller derby or a demolition derby on nationally televised tv? When you think about it, all the derby are dying out. Fishing derbies, even the restaurant the Brown Derby is no more. If it ran the Kentucky Derby I would take some seriously defensive marketing operations right now.

GloucesterChief
11-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Great point.

Tennis has a dearth of American stars right now. That is why I think it is lagging at least in the states.

Rain Man
11-04-2017, 09:28 AM
I agree. I mean, when was the last time you saw roller derby or a demolition derby on nationally televised tv? When you think about it, all the derby are dying out. Fishing derbies, even the restaurant the Brown Derby is no more. If it ran the Kentucky Derby I would take some seriously defensive marketing operations right now.

Bowlers have lost popularity as well. People don't watch them and people don't wear them.

Rain Man
11-04-2017, 09:31 AM
The Papa John whining is particularly annoying. The NFL gave his company millions and millions of dollars of free publicity by giving them a Super Bowl. It was the most blatant corporate sellout in sports history, and it cost the league untold amounts of credibility. And now the guy is complaining because he wants more? I don't buy Papa John's, because I want the NFL to survive. Screw that guy and his pizza company.

CapsLockKey
11-04-2017, 09:42 AM
One huge problem is they've locked themselves into the old ways of distributing their product for the quick buck and fallen behind the times. Exclusivity agreements is killing their viewership. People are fed up with paying ridiculous prices for a huge TV package they don't even want 95% of just to get the one thing they are after.

They are completely out of touch with the younger generation in their marketing. I can't stand the NBA but my teenage kids are obsessed with it so they must be doing doing something right. NFL they are semi interested only because I've forced the Chiefs on them since birth, but even then it's hard to get them to sit through more than a half before they lose interest. They'd rather catch the highlights on YouTube after the fact than sit though it live for 3-4 hours with half of it being commercials.

GayFrogs
11-04-2017, 09:55 AM
One huge problem is they've locked themselves into the old ways of distributing their product for the quick buck and fallen behind the times. Exclusivity agreements is killing their viewership. People are fed up with paying ridiculous prices for a huge TV package they don't even want 95% of just to get the one thing they are after.

They are completely out of touch with the younger generation in their marketing. I can't stand the NBA but my teenage kids are obsessed with it so they must be doing doing something right. NFL they are semi interested only because I've forced the Chiefs on them since birth, but even then it's hard to get them to sit through more than a half before they lose interest. They'd rather catch the highlights on YouTube after the fact than sit though it live for 3-4 hours with half of it being commercials.

Anecdotal evidence...I have to watch the game at my parents' house because I don't have cable. Football is literally the only thing I need a TV to enjoy.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Still doesn't include any way to buy NFL Sunday Ticket, nor does it have anywhere near the same number of channels the satellite-based service has.

Direct TV NOW has more than 130 channels, including HBO, Showtime, Starz/Encore and Cinemax. It *looks* like they don't have as many channels because it's not necessary to promote 12 HBO's, 4 Cinemax, 16 Starz/Encore, etc., but if you look carefully, every channel that you'd presumably want is there. The price for every channel is $96 dollars, substantially less than the cost of a satellite, DVR, DVR service, HD service and the Premium package.

As for Sunday Ticket, I've been told that just like every other channel, it's a licensing agreement issue and that it's very possible that it will be available next Fall for Direct TV NOW.

Direct TV would be wise to open up Sunday Ticket to non-Direct TV subscribers but as in most cases, dinosaurs run these companies and they're generally 5 years behind the public's needs.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Tear up that ridiculous directv contract unless it comes with streaming options

That deal with the NFL isn't set to expire until after the 2021 season, so it's up to Direct TV, not the NFL, as to how they distribute the Sunday Ticket.

Streaming requires a different set of licenses so if the Direct TV were to offer a streaming only package, they'd have to do so with the consent of the NFL.

bigjosh
11-04-2017, 11:59 AM
I hate the NFLs exclusivity agreements.

EA sports has killed football video games for the last decade. 2K did it better, microsoft game studios did it better, fuck even midway did it better. Fuck madden.

DTV has fucked people wanting to watch their non local teams for years.

I miss the old days where you could get an adidas jersey, starter jacket, reebok hat, and nike gloves all with chiefs shit on them, while playing NFL live and telling people that like madden that they were faggots.

Bwana
11-04-2017, 12:13 PM
I have to hand it to the guys that were saying Papa Johns pizza sucks. I hadn't ordered one for years so I gave it a shot last night. Some meth head shows up with my pizza and some wings last night after about an hour. They got one of the ingredients wrong but it was close enough so I tied into the first piece. It was so salty I though I was eating a salt block. All I could choke down was one piece. I literally wouldn't even give it to my dogs, I just tossed it. The wings were soso, but nothing I would ever order again. They also forgot the ranch with the order. Papa John and old 5 head can both kiss my ass.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 12:17 PM
It was so salty I though I was eating a salt block. All I could choke down was one piece.

That was my experience as well, even though I had only a single slice and I'm pretty sure I tossed most of it when no one was looking.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 12:20 PM
In retrospect, I've been watching far less than in the past due to all of the Chiefs Prime Time games this season.

When the Chiefs are on at 10am PST, it's easier to kick back and watch all afternoon but when they're in Prime Time, whether it's been Sunday, Monday or Thursday night, I tend to spend my Sunday's being more productive.

O.city
11-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Yeah I'm kind of ready for the noon games to be back

I like prime time but damn

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Yeah I'm kind of ready for the noon games to be back

I like prime time but damn

Yeah, it *sounds* exciting to start the season but in many ways, it just prolongs the week.

I think I'd be happier with 2-3 Prime Time games as opposed to 6.

Valiant
11-04-2017, 01:50 PM

I think it would be an interesting test. Run a contest for every team. Select one to two of the most knowledgeable fans on their teams. Then have them in the broadcast booth adding some flair and actual knowledge to the viewers. Friendly smacktalk. Have a professional in there also to keep things in line and moving forward.

Fairplay
11-04-2017, 02:01 PM
I have to hand it to the guys that were saying Papa Johns pizza sucks. I hadn't ordered one for years so I gave it a shot last night. Some meth head shows up with my pizza and some wings last night after about an hour. They got one of the ingredients wrong but it was close enough so I tied into the first piece. It was so salty I though I was eating a salt block. All I could choke down was one piece. I literally wouldn't even give it to my dogs, I just tossed it. The wings were soso, but nothing I would ever order again. They also forgot the ranch with the order. Papa John and old 5 head can both kiss my ass.

Funny story

ROFL

Seriously though most pizza has way too much salt on it that I find myself drinking lots of water afterwards so I usually just eat two pieces of whatever kind is on my plate, usually through work function or parties as I don't eat it normally.

When asked what kind of pizza do you like? I'll say I don't like pepperoni and I get read the riot act like I'm not normal so I just say whatever it doesn't matter. I'd rather eat my own food anyway.

Buehler445
11-04-2017, 02:16 PM

Officiating is part of it, some of it is rules, some is bad coaching, some is injuries, but the end result of that is a SHITLOAD of bad fucking football. Just a fucking mountain of it.

There has been some good football. Hell, when the Chiefs were rolling early it was fun to watch. Atlanta, when Shanarat Junior was still there could roll out some beautiful plays. Cam Newton, when his moron ass coaches don't think he needs to run a draw on 3rd and 5 can be really fun to watch.

But that shit is few and far between. Far more often, we get Bortles throwing balls right to the other fucking guy, OL asshats that can't seem to even fall down in front of a guy to slow them down. LBs that don't know gap assignments, DB's that can't cover without a flag, Coaches that subscribe to the Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards newsletter featuring the vaunted R2P2. It's just not very good far too often.

From my perspective:

1. I am busy. I grew up and got some responsibility. It seems like I hear a lot of people saying that everyone is busier. I believe it. Kids these days do way more activities (and less work) than I did at their ages. There is just a lot of shit going on. Less time to sit and watch football.

2. Bad football. See above. Less appealing. Easier to go find something else to do.

3. Bad commercials. I don't know if the commercials are actually worse or if I am just less tolerant. Either way, son of a bitch some of the commercials are terribad. Makes it far easier, when coupled with bad football to shut that fucking shit off.

4. Too much shit that's not about football. I don't give a fuck about the narratives that cocksuckers are spewing all over the place. Social Justice, suspensions, revenge, what the fuck ever these assfaces feel compelled to talk about besides the football.

For fucks fucking sake. Stop listening to Bomani Jones. If you can't do that, keep that moronic shit in DC.

FlaChief58
11-04-2017, 03:11 PM

Not it!

St. Patty's Fire
11-04-2017, 03:19 PM

What the? I thought Papa John just wanted to give the Denver turf guy his time in the limelight?

He won't be gettiing anymore Papa Blessings from me, that's for sure.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2017, 04:33 PM

ROFL

I haven't had one of their pizza's in years but when they first went national, it was pretty good. Definitely better than the other chains at the time. But that happens to every pizza company; the bigger they get, the worse the quality becomes over time. Pizza Hut today is NOTHING like it was in the 70's and early 80's.
As near as I can tell, only Dominoes has made an effort to keep the crust legit and evolve with the times in terms of toppings. A lot of people seem to dislike them, though. Godfathers seems to be making a comeback but I haven't been compelled to give them a try.
Most people I know buy a good cheese pizza at the store and then load it up with their own toppings. I like making a Chef Boyardee pizza now and again myself. If you can make one of those work, you definitely know your shit.

As to the football...

I started watching pro ball in the mid 70's as a youngster. Off the top of my head I would say that the pro game was golden from the time of the AFL until about the mid 2000's. From the time I turned KC off(1999-2008)until I came back, you could tell that the entire tone of the game had changed, and not for the better. It didn't help that the Chiefs were sucking heap big shit at the time, but even the teams that were doing well weren't churning out a very watchable product. The focus had shifted almost entirely to offense and the elements of defensive play that had brought me to the table to begin with were dead or dying.
I just looked up Goodell's tenure: 2006-present. What a shock. I'm shocked I say. Jeez...
And now, certain elements of everyday living and the assault of politics that we could all enjoy a break from on Sunday have become a part of the package as well. It's no surprise to me at all that people are turning away or becoming less involved. Add to that the growing suspicion of a scripted outcome, and it's the beginning of the end.

RippedmyFlesh
11-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Add to that the growing suspicion of a scripted outcome,

This has gone from a tin foil hat idea to a legitimate concern sadly. Way worse to me than any anthem bull shit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2017, 05:13 PM
This has gone from a tin foil hat idea to a legitimate concern sadly. Way worse to me than any anthem bull shit.

The evidence/coincidences are pretty compelling.

Fish
11-04-2017, 06:05 PM

https://i.imgur.com/YGMwruN.jpg

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Seriously though most pizza has way too much salt on it that I find myself drinking lots of water afterwards so I usually just eat two pieces of whatever kind is on my plate, usually through work function or parties as I don't eat it normally

Yeah, that's cheap, shitty pizza.

I don't touch "poverty pizza" and I don't serve it at birthday parties, either.

Gross.

kcchiefsus
11-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Yeah, that's cheap, shitty pizza.

I don't touch "poverty pizza" and I don't serve it at birthday parties, either.

Gross.

Mr. high and mighty piece of shit

Bob Dole
11-04-2017, 06:38 PM
I think it would be an interesting test. Run a contest for every team. Select one to two of the most knowledgeable fans on their teams. Then have them in the broadcast booth adding some flair and actual knowledge to the viewers. Friendly smacktalk. Have a professional in there also to keep things in line and moving forward.

I got to lay the knowledge on an Arkansas fan today that Coastal Carolina one had a QB that made it to the NFL

threebag
11-04-2017, 06:44 PM
I got to lay the knowledge on an Arkansas fan today that Coastal Carolina one had a QB that made it to the NFL

Hell Yeah

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Mr. high and mighty piece of shit

It's called being courteous and respecting your guests.

When people take 3-4 hours out of their Saturday or Sunday, pay for parking and bring a gift (that are usually in excess of $20 dollars), I provide quality food.

This past summer, I ordered a dozen pizzas from Santa Monica Pizza company along with a couple of deli tray's from Art's.

I'm not buying Subway and Little Caesar's or Domino's.

threebag
11-04-2017, 07:08 PM
It's called being courteous and respecting your guests.

When people take 3-4 hours out of their Saturday or Sunday, pay for parking and bring a gift (that are usually in excess of $20 dollars), I provide quality food.

This past summer, I ordered a dozen pizzas from Santa Monica Pizza company along with a couple of deli tray's from Art's.

I'm not buying Subway and Little Caesar's or Domino's.

I won't buy my guests or co-workers anythjng I wouldn't eat myself.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 07:32 PM

Exactly

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2017, 07:49 PM

I'm sure your Doritos and Cheez-Whiz plates are the stuff of legend.

FlaChief58
11-04-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm sure your Doritos and Cheez-Whiz plates are the stuff of legend.

Doritos? Must be nice to have that kind of cash to throw around...

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Doritos? Must be nice to have that kind of cash to throw around...

LMAO

BigRedChief
11-04-2017, 09:37 PM
That deal with the NFL isn't set to expire until after the 2021 season, so it's up to Direct TV, not the NFL, as to how they distribute the Sunday Ticket.

Streaming requires a different set of licenses so if the Direct TV were to offer a streaming only package, they'd have to do so with the consent of the NFL.satellite TV is not an option for me. Way to many thunderstorms knocking out my entertainment at inconvient times. And then I've got to get a separate provider for broadband access.

The NFL or Direct TV needs to license it out to streaming.

FlaChief58
11-04-2017, 10:23 PM
For me, my die hard attitude towards the NFL changed over time as the internet gave me easy access to data, specifically the Chiefs. Having lived outside of the Chiefs market most of my life, I used to rely on a 20 second spot on ESPN or a couple of lines in the local paper for all of my Chiefs news. Now I can tune out all of the BS on ESPN/NFLN etc and get everything I want pertaining to the Chiefs with a touch of a button.
I stream the games I want to watch (chiefs) not because I'm not willing to pay for them, but because I don't want to pay for access to a bunch of games I have no interest in since I don't gamble or play FF.
The NFL needs to take people like myself into consideration and make individual games available at a reasonable cost. Ratings would most certainly return to normal if they would listen to their target audience.

mr. tegu
11-05-2017, 12:19 AM
If sports betting was legalized everywhere the next NFL Sunday would have the highest ratings ever and everyone (except the bettors) would make more money than they thought possible.

DaneMcCloud
11-05-2017, 12:23 AM
satellite TV is not an option for me. Way to many thunderstorms knocking out my entertainment at inconvient times. And then I've got to get a separate provider for broadband access.

The NFL or Direct TV needs to license it out to streaming.

Agreed, 100%.

They’re limiting their audience

ChiefGator
11-05-2017, 04:47 AM
If sports betting was legalized everywhere the next NFL Sunday would have the highest ratings ever and everyone (except the bettors) would make more money than they thought possible.

You think? My belief is people who want to bet on games are already finding ways to bet. And those that don't, probably don't care to.

I'm in the later group though, so I may be wrong.

Lightrise
11-05-2017, 06:29 AM
I bailed because of commercials mostly. I ditched Sunday ticket after a year in which the Chiefs were on broadcast TV 8 times in my area (outside KC). It took me about 3 weeks on Redzone to get hooked...no commercials and I love it. It's a very exciting way to watch. But I do see several issues that need addressing...

1. Thursday has to go.
2. Pregame is horrible...NFL network is the best, but even it isn't working as well as it should. Some of it is stupid, lone wolf and the silliness. I really miss Playbook with Sterling Sharpe. That was interesting. Stadium reports are dumb too...don't need to see someone get off a bus.
3. Officials - way too many penalties and for God's sake...clean up pass interference, is it, or isn't it a catch BS and eliminate replay after a score except in the last 2 minutes.
4. Force Kickoff returns unless the kick is out of the endzone on the fly
5. Eliminate all pre-season games in exchange for bigger rosters that have to be cut in phases through the first half of the season. It adds a new element to the game...managing players for rest/injury/player development etc.
6. Move the NFL draft up, it's too late now.
7. narrow the goal post by a foot

You can't stop the ratings decline...but you sure can slow the rate of decline and all the above can be cleaned up in 1 year. The thing about expanded rosters is that you can mandate a given player can only play x amount of games...stars will be born and injuries will be less impactive.

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 07:51 AM
So what you're both saying in different ways is that once both sports tried to "grow" their business instead of enjoying their success. trying to get more market share and more money, the fans seemed to lose interest, ratings fell, and suddenly the fan base was one that really didn't give a real shit about the sport but were just there because it used to be cool?

I personally would watch more football if it were a sport again and not so much an entertainment program. When helmets used to come off and the fights ensued the NFL started going to commercial... Been going downhill ever since.

When NFL Football and NASCAR had to be everything to everybody, I for one slowly lost interest.

Yup. That's the way I feel about the NFL. And I could give two shits about the protests.

College football is still fun to watch. But in the NFL... I'm tired of injuries and penalties. I despise Thursday night football and London games with every inch of my body. I'm tired of watching the same QBs win every week and to get screwed over by refs who are getting worse enforcing rules that favor those same QBs. I hate that they turned the NFL draft into a great time of the year into a circus. Every single no good lousy decision seems to have Goodell's idiot fingerprints on them.

mr. tegu
11-05-2017, 07:56 AM
You think? My belief is people who want to bet on games are already finding ways to bet. And those that don't, probably don't care to.

I'm in the later group though, so I may be wrong.I think there is still a stigma about it. Plus the fact that placing your bets requires a local bookie, which people are scared of or don't know how to get, or they have to put money in an offshore account. That process can be a pain and it's hard to just place one bet and cash out. I have talked to many people who don't bet for these reasons. I think there would be way more casual bettors.

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Are there other activist groups, 401c3 or not, who the NFL or the 49er's gives publicity, airtime, directly or indirectly, so they can use the NFL brand and market share for it's benefit and the detriment of the league?

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 08:07 AM

Dinny

It took Dinny a awhile to understand that "Dilly Dilly" was insulting his intelegence, or lack there of. But he too learned.

Kaepernik can't be given a job as a practice squad back up's backup because he single handedly caused more damage to the NFL's Brand than any person, group, or organization ever has.

Don't forget York allowed it and doesn't get all the credit he deserves.:D:D: Drop his ass in the deepest sector of the cops "No Go" zone and see if his stance of supporting Kaep gets him out unscathed.

NFL will be better off without him in a leadership role and after this season, I doubt he will be.

Dinny Bossa Nova
11-05-2017, 08:17 AM
It took Dinny a awhile to understand that "Dilly Dilly" was insulting his intelegence, or lack there of. But he too learned.

Kaepernik can't be given a job as a practice squad back up's backup because he single handedly caused more damage to the NFL's Brand than any person, group, or organization ever has.

Don't forget York allowed it and doesn't get all the credit he deserves.:D:D: Drop his ass in the deepest sector of the cops "No Go" zone and see if his stance of supporting Kaep gets him out unscathed.

NFL will be better off without him in a leadership role and after this season, I doubt he will be.

Your fascination with man asses is disturbing.

No, I do not want to make out with you.

Have you met pestilence? He seems nice.

Dinny

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Anecdotal evidence...I have to watch the game at my parents' house because I don't have cable. Football is literally the only thing I need a TV to enjoy.

CP should start you a "Go Fund Me" page> Nobody should be forced to watch TV at their parents house.

Does they feed you?

Allow cursing?

Does your Mom serve beers and shots?

What about younger sisters? Too much???:D:D:D:D

Maybe after you get cable... You could post the address, The're going to be lonely without you...Posted for a friend.

chiefzilla1501
11-05-2017, 08:23 AM
So what you're both saying in different ways is that once both sports tried to "grow" their business instead of enjoying their success. trying to get more market share and more money, the fans seemed to lose interest, ratings fell, and suddenly the fan base was one that really didn't give a real shit about the sport but were just there because it used to be cool?

I personally would watch more football if it were a sport again and not so much an entertainment program. When helmets used to come off and the fights ensued the NFL started going to commercial... Been going downhill ever since.

When NFL Football and NASCAR Had to be everything to everybody, I for one slowly lost interest.

Yes and no.

In some ways, they tried to grow their market share by diluting the NFL brand. Like putting more games in London even though it fucks over American fans or making the game appealing to fantasy football owners instead of diehards. But they've also made decisions that took away access for fans, like pricing most people out from going to stadiums and by significantly restricting TV viewership.

The common theme is putting $'s over fans. Whether that's caring more about casual fans over diehards, or restricting the game. That's backwards. Good sports leagues focus on the diehards and expect that casuals will hop on board.

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 08:31 AM
WE used to order from the Liberty location. (the guy paying liked PaPa's)
15 minutes after it arrived we called the location and bitched about the same thing. Salty, 2" of crust were ours.
When the new arrived it was loaded with topping and cheese and looked like the TV commercials. Our same driver delivered the replacements and told us that managers are paid on profits, food and labor expenditures, and lack of complaints. We found that mentioning that our last order was jacked and they had to bring us new, and refund our money is what we found "makes for better pizza"

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 09:05 AM
I always buy a "Classic Sausage" Home Run Inn pizza for the game. it least it doesn't have faux cheese, faux meat, and so much salt my hands swell.

Based on 14" pizza cut into 6 slices

HRI is 860 mg sodium 360 calories

PJ's is 1226 mg and 510 calories

And Yes, it looks just like this:

https://www.homeruninnpizza.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/CL-sausage.jpg

ROFL

I haven't had one of their pizza's in years but when they first went national, it was pretty good. Definitely better than the other chains at the time. But that happens to every pizza company; the bigger they get, the worse the quality becomes over time. Pizza Hut today is NOTHING like it was in the 70's and early 80's.
As near as I can tell, only Dominoes has made an effort to keep the crust legit and evolve with the times in terms of toppings. A lot of people seem to dislike them, though. Godfathers seems to be making a comeback but I haven't been compelled to give them a try.
Most people I know buy a good cheese pizza at the store and then load it up with their own toppings. I like making a Chef Boyardee pizza now and again myself. If you can make one of those work, you definitely know your shit.

As to the football...

I started watching pro ball in the mid 70's as a youngster. Off the top of my head I would say that the pro game was golden from the time of the AFL until about the mid 2000's. From the time I turned KC off(1999-2008)until I came back, you could tell that the entire tone of the game had changed, and not for the better. It didn't help that the Chiefs were sucking heap big shit at the time, but even the teams that were doing well weren't churning out a very watchable product. The focus had shifted almost entirely to offense and the elements of defensive play that had brought me to the table to begin with were dead or dying.
I just looked up Goodell's tenure: 2006-present. What a shock. I'm shocked I say. Jeez...
And now, certain elements of everyday living and the assault of politics that we could all enjoy a break from on Sunday have become a part of the package as well. It's no surprise to me at all that people are turning away or becoming less involved. Add to that the growing suspicion of a scripted outcome, and it's the beginning of the end.

BigRedChief
11-05-2017, 09:09 AM
CP should start you a "Go Fund Me" page> Nobody should be forced to watch TV at their parents houseUnless its to share some Dad/Son time?:hmmm:

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Unless its to share some Dad/Son time?:hmmm:

My dad always liked being invited to my place over me watching at home...Much more than I would have enjoyed watching at home, but you have a point.:D

Plus the only beer at home was Falstaff or Schlitz...

GloryDayz
11-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Meh, I pretty-much only watch Chiefs games anymore. There was a time when "Sunday was football", that's not the case anymore. I don't know if it's age, other hobbies/activities, or the overall quality of the product, but I don't think I'm alone. From kneeling, to officiating gaffs (tuck rule and others), to blind officials (Chiefs being held against Steelers), to implementation of rules that I'm sure many simply think are wrong (DPI vs. OPI), I think explains some of the decline.

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Just got a call from SO who reminded me to get all the Football in that I can because the days are numbered to be able to watch live games...

So I would say that wives, GF's and SO's are becoming more and more a force on what you do on Sundays, and Mondays and Thursday nights. I know mine isn't happy when I spend that much time on the sofa watching games.

Fish
11-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Just got a call from SO who reminded me to get all the Football in that I can because the days are numbered to be able to watch live games...

So I would say that wives, GF's and SO's are becoming more and more a force on what you do on Sundays, and Mondays and Thursday nights. I know mine isn't happy when I spend that much time on the sofa watching games.

LMAO....... :shake:

FlaChief58
11-05-2017, 11:09 AM

Grow a pair and send her fat ass to the kitchen to fetch you a sammich

WilliamTheIrish
11-05-2017, 11:50 AM

I am to the point where I am thinking about replacing the 12 year old 50 inch Tv, wanting a bigger one.

I find a stream on my iPad (free) and then mirror that HD stream to my TV. It's the only way to go. And that's only if i care enough about that game.

I'm a "no cable" guy. (Thanks Fish for showing me the light?). Saving that kind of $ has given me a Hawaiian vacation and one to Mexico.

ROYC75
11-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Plus the only beer at home was Falstaff or Schlitz...

Oh man, I haven't had any of this in years! I used to work for a beer distributor in NKC years ago, after work we could drink all the beer we wanted on tap, Falstaff,Schlitz and Olympia.

Didn't get drunk too many times but got use to drinking it since it was free.

suzzer99
11-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Direct TV NOW has more than 130 channels, including HBO, Showtime, Starz/Encore and Cinemax. It *looks* like they don't have as many channels because it's not necessary to promote 12 HBO's, 4 Cinemax, 16 Starz/Encore, etc., but if you look carefully, every channel that you'd presumably want is there. The price for every channel is $96 dollars, substantially less than the cost of a satellite, DVR, DVR service, HD service and the Premium package.

As for Sunday Ticket, I've been told that just like every other channel, it's a licensing agreement issue and that it's very possible that it will be available next Fall for Direct TV NOW.

Direct TV would be wise to open up Sunday Ticket to non-Direct TV subscribers but as in most cases, dinosaurs run these companies and they're generally 5 years behind the public's needs.

FYI - you can get nfl sunday ticket streaming pretty easily if you know someone with a valid student email: https://nflst.directv.com/?CMP=LEC-P1-FM-EM-G-10072001

You can also do the same if you know someone in a place that can't get DTV (house, apartment complex etc.)

It's not very hard to get around the eligibility.

displacedinMN
11-05-2017, 01:06 PM
This was in the Minneapolis paper today-from Patrick Reusse. I'm unable to get an electronic copy but it sums up with a lot of people are feeling. Apologies for sideways.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171105/d55f06e3b1d66e7326effe9490f974aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

trndobrd
11-05-2017, 01:17 PM
FYI - you can get nfl sunday ticket streaming pretty easily if you know someone with a valid student email: https://nflst.directv.com/?CMP=LEC-P1-FM-EM-G-10072001

You can also do the same if you know someone in a place that can't get DTV (house, apartment complex etc.)

It's not very hard to get around the eligibility.

NFL making it hard to buy the product...great business model. Surely they can work out something with the networks to include ads on streaming product.

BryanBusby
11-05-2017, 01:23 PM
This was in the Minneapolis paper today-from Patrick Reusse. I'm unable to get an electronic copy but it sums up with a lot of people are feeling. Apologies for sideways.

Thanks I will check this out once I learn how to permanently crank my head sideways

AssEaterChief
11-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Thanks I will check this out once I learn how to permanently crank my head sideways

LMAO

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 01:31 PM

save then view

displacedinMN
11-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Last time I did it on tapatalk it was fine. Then today-ugh. Sorry cooper.

GloryDayz
11-05-2017, 01:51 PM

LOL, you old fuck!

BigRedChief
11-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Thanks I will check this out once I learn how to permanently crank my head sidewaysROFL

GloryDayz
11-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Officials have certainly injected themselves into the game in the modern era. Their range of excuses is vast, but their "I didn't see it" and "we were letting them play" are their most famous IMO.

NFL officiating, the easiest job in the world because there are no apparent consequences (in a profession of handing out consequences), and a list of excuses a mile long.

ForeverChiefs58
11-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Vin Scully: 'I will never watch another NFL game again'

Vin Scully said Saturday night that he will “never watch another NFL game” in response to the ongoing demonstrations by some players during the national anthem.

Speaking at “An Evening with Vin Scully” at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium on Saturday, the longtime Los Angeles Dodgers announcer was asked about the response from owners, players and commissioner Roger Goodell to the demonstrations, which players have used to protest racial injustice and police brutality.

“I have only one personal thought, really. And I am so disappointed,” Scully said, according to multiple videos of the moment posted on social media. “I used to love, during the fall and winter, to watch the NFL on Sunday. And it’s not that I’m some great patriot. I was in the Navy for a year. Didn’t go anywhere. Didn’t do anything. But I have overwhelming respect and admiration for anyone who puts on a uniform and goes to war. So the only thing I can do in my little way is not to preach. I will never watch another NFL game.”

Scully, who will celebrate his 90th birthday later this month, retired last fall after 67 seasons as a broadcaster for the Dodgers. He also contributed to NFL and PGA Tour broadcasts on CBS from 1975 to 1982.

Scully has largely remained out of the public eye since retiring, though he did participate in a first-pitch ceremony before Game 2 of the World Series late last month, appearing alongside former Dodgers Steve Yeager and Fernando Valenzuela.

Video in link

https://apple.news/AIj4G0-MAQDmTivHOeEYPLQ

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Last time I did it on tapatalk it was fine. Then today-ugh. Sorry cooper.

It was a webp doc you can edit and add this as a copied image location image

Pablo
11-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Vin Scully: 'I will never watch another NFL game again'

Vin Scully said Saturday night that he will “never watch another NFL game” in response to the ongoing demonstrations by some players during the national anthem.

Speaking at “An Evening with Vin Scully” at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium on Saturday, the longtime Los Angeles Dodgers announcer was asked about the response from owners, players and commissioner Roger Goodell to the demonstrations, which players have used to protest racial injustice and police brutality.

“I have only one personal thought, really. And I am so disappointed,” Scully said, according to multiple videos of the moment posted on social media. “I used to love, during the fall and winter, to watch the NFL on Sunday. And it’s not that I’m some great patriot. I was in the Navy for a year. Didn’t go anywhere. Didn’t do anything. But I have overwhelming respect and admiration for anyone who puts on a uniform and goes to war. So the only thing I can do in my little way is not to preach. I will never watch another NFL game.”

Scully, who will celebrate his 90th birthday later this month, retired last fall after 67 seasons as a broadcaster for the Dodgers. He also contributed to NFL and PGA Tour broadcasts on CBS from 1975 to 1982.

Scully has largely remained out of the public eye since retiring, though he did participate in a first-pitch ceremony before Game 2 of the World Series late last month, appearing alongside former Dodgers Steve Yeager and Fernando Valenzuela.

Video in link

https://apple.news/AIj4G0-MAQDmTivHOeEYPLQYeah, it's hard to watch the NFL when you're dead, Vin. Might wanna tune in while you still can.

GloryDayz
11-05-2017, 02:29 PM
It was a webp doc you can edit and add this as a copied image location image

That was nice of you, now old broke-down fucks like Bryan Busby, who can't turn a laptop sideways, can read it!

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 02:40 PM
That was nice of you, now old broke-down ****s like Bryan Busby, who can't turn a laptop sideways, can read it!

Just for Busby, I'd do the same for Witlock

GloryDayz
11-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Just for Busby, I'd do the same for Witlock

ROFL

BryanBusby
11-05-2017, 02:58 PM
That was nice of you, now old broke-down fucks like Bryan Busby, who can't turn a laptop sideways, can read it!
You'll have to excuse me for not being a poor and having a real monitor.

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 03:00 PM

You could turn the tablet 90 degreesROFLROFLROFLROFL

BryanBusby
11-05-2017, 03:01 PM
You could turn the tablet 90 degreesROFLROFLROFLROFL
My butler doesn't work Sundays

MahiMike
11-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Take away the ref's mics. And for God's sake, remove the "expert" refs from the booth.

GloryDayz
11-05-2017, 03:05 PM

JFC, how old are your monitors? Don't you have a laptop (or three) laying around? How about a smart phone?

You suck at computing like you do at weather!

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/ipxrtta7pqwfaeuj8o7v.gif

BryanBusby
11-05-2017, 03:06 PM
JFC, how old are your monitors? Don't you have a laptop (or three) laying around? How about a smart phone?

You suck at computing like you do at weather!

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/ipxrtta7pqwfaeuj8o7v.gif
Shit, I need spinnerz for my tv's

cooper barrett
11-05-2017, 03:10 PM
My butler doesn't work Sundays

Which ones your butler?

http://alt-market.com/images/stories/welfare%20line.jpg

GloryDayz
11-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Shit, I need spinnerz for my tv's

Let's start with a monitor that rotates.

BigCatDaddy
12-22-2017, 10:29 PM
www.dailywire.com/news/25030/ravens-blame-noticeable-attendance-drop-national-jared-sichel?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Baltimore now begging fans to come to games.

ThaVirus
12-22-2017, 10:33 PM
Seems to me that's a natural progression..

Who wants to go to a stadium with 50,000 drunken assholes, pay $40 just to park and $12 per beer, freezing your ass off in 20 degree weather when you can watch from the comfort of your own home?

My couch>any stadium in the NFL.

Eleazar
12-22-2017, 10:43 PM
I personally don't care about the protests, but I'm finding it shocking how many people out there do. I've seen a lot of people in my circle posting that they didn't buy any merch for Christmas this year, or that they haven't been to a game this year because of it. Generally these people are over 40 or 50, but I think generally the crowd at NFL games and especially season ticket holders is over 40. (Who else can afford it?)

It's surprised me how many posts I have seen from people who see kneeling for the anthem as disrespecting veterans and military personnel and the country in general, not just the stated aim of disrespecting police.

I guess I was in disbelief that it was the protests, and there are a variety of factors in play, causing attendance to be down league-wide, but maybe the protests are the biggest factor...?

GloryDayz
12-22-2017, 10:49 PM
www.dailywire.com/news/25030/ravens-blame-noticeable-attendance-drop-national-jared-sichel?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Baltimore now begging fans to come to games.

I scored two tix to Sunday's Chiefs game for $30 each. The lower part of the upper deck, on the 50 yard line, so the view should be good. The parking pass was $25 from a FB friend. It'll be cold as a witch's tit, but we should have fun.

Plus, the Chiefs need me!

GloryDayz
12-22-2017, 10:54 PM
I personally don't care about the protests, but I'm finding it shocking how many people out there do. I've seen a lot of people in my circle posting that they didn't buy any merch for Christmas this year, or that they haven't been to a game this year because of it. Generally these people are over 40 or 50, but I think generally the crowd at NFL games and especially season ticket holders is over 40. (Who else can afford it?)

It's surprised me how many posts I have seen from people who see kneeling for the anthem as disrespecting veterans and military personnel and the country in general, not just the stated aim of disrespecting police.

I guess I was in disbelief that it was the protests, and there are a variety of factors in play, causing attendance to be down league-wide, but maybe the protests are the biggest factor...?

The protests are a big deal to me. I support their right to do it, but I think it's very shitty of those who do it. That being said, it's not the only thing, the NFL becoming the the WWFL makes the game far less attractive than it was just 10 years ago.

But hey, I'm paying less for tix to a Chiefs game than I am for a Mavs ECHL game. That's telling.

BlackOp
12-22-2017, 10:55 PM

No...the overt price-gouging is the main factor. Going to a game is a freaking hassle let alone costing $400+ for two people.

I had free tickets to the Eagles game...and was bored. I'm sure it was a lot more exciting before the internet and people had nothing else to do. Football is a better experience on TV...when recorded so you can FF through 1 1/2 hours of soul-sucking commercials.

NFL can blame the anthem...but the truth is it's not worth the money anymore. If you're into tailgating...then it becomes a social experience...like a Grateful Dead concert...but other than that I dont see the value.

Goodell tried to make this sport appear more important than it was...and banked on the fans being dumber than they thought.

GloryDayz
12-22-2017, 11:02 PM
No...the overt price-gouging is the main factor. Going to a game is a freaking hassle let alone costing $400+ for two people.

I had free tickets to the Eagles game...and was bored. I'm sure it was a lot more exciting before the internet and people had nothing else to do. Football is a better experience on TV...when recorded so you can FF through 1 1/2 hours of soul-sucking commercials.

NFL can blame the anthem...but the truth is it's not worth the money anymore. Goodell tried to make this sport bigger than it was...and banked on their fans being dumber than they thought.

This is a truthful post. I'll add that fans have become less loyal to their teams as player and teams have become less loyal to each other.

The bottom line is that it's no "one thing", it's many things..

BlackOp
12-22-2017, 11:31 PM
The bottom line is that it's no "one thing", it's many things..

True...and the anthem thing put off a lot of their older fans.

The NFL has a real problem on their hands...the digital babies dont care about football like we did. What they are seeing now...is just the beginning. They think building these giant, billion dollar coliseums are making the "fan experience" better...its not. It's just pricing out their loyal fans..

There has been a monumental shift in culture since the internet became fast...the NFL is stuck in the 90's. Football was never meant to be only affordable by upper-middle class....it's blue-collar entertainment.

Strongside
12-22-2017, 11:36 PM
All this makes the Gooddell extension even more baffling to me.

jaa1025
12-22-2017, 11:39 PM

I can't, for any reason, understand the extension.

12-22-2017, 11:41 PM
I scored two tix to Sunday's Chiefs game for $30 each. The lower part of the upper deck, on the 50 yard line, so the view should be good. The parking pass was $25 from a FB friend. It'll be cold as a witch's tit, but we should have fun.

It's cute that you think the game this Sunday is that cold. Thats nothing.

GloryDayz
12-23-2017, 01:59 AM
It's cute that you think the game this Sunday is that cold. Thats nothing.Okay hero, I made my living in the arctic when I was young, and I say a "feels like" temp in the teens is cold. Now tell us all that's you don't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

chiefzilla1501
12-23-2017, 04:43 AM
-oversaturation including Europe games nobody wants
-overpriced tickets and parking
-absurdly bad TV deal that restricts access unless you own a dish, while other leagues are expanding local and streaming
-incompetent owners like Mike brown and Jim irsay who will never be replaced. Largely because revenue sharing allows incompetent owners to still profit handsomely
-disinterested owners with no fresh ideas on improving the game experience (terrible halftime shows, in game music, etc...)
-injuries have made several teams unwatchable
-relocation mania to an LA market that struggled big time with attendance with 2 teams
-over emphasis on penalizing defenses. And too many flags in general
-horrible marketing. Very few marketable superstars

The NFL was on the decline. The anthem reaction was the straw that broke the camels back. If the NFL was a watchable product, the reaction wouldn't be nearly as severe. In most of the above cases, the owners and Goodell chose profits over the fan experience.

Reerun_KC
12-23-2017, 06:28 AM
The game is stale. Rehashing junk coaches. No new fresh forward thinking offenses.

It’s a lot of blah. Granted I’ve only watched the chiefs and maybe a small part of a handful of games. Just too boring with the same narratives playing out year after year.

GloryDayz
12-23-2017, 07:11 AM
I wonder how Pats fans feel? At some point, to possibly add to why the NFL is in decline, is how people in places like KC, Detroit, and Cleveland project their team's lack of success in terms of the ultimate goal with being upset with , or disinterested in, the league? That may play off of a previous comment about ownership, but I'm sure Pat fans think highly of the league, and how the league has protected their star player's health and wins?

Best22
12-23-2017, 07:22 AM
I wonder how Pats fans feel? At some point, to possibly add to why the NFL is in decline, is how people in places like KC, Detroit, and Cleveland project their team's lack of success in terms of the ultimate goal with being upset with , or disinterested in, the league? That may play off of a previous comment about ownership, but I'm sure Pat fans think highly of the league, and how the league has protected their star player's health and wins?

Pats fans hate Gooddell and the league because he suspended their quarterback. They openly mocked him during the Thursday night season opener

cooper barrett
12-23-2017, 07:49 AM

Some of my favorite games were sitting in 301 in the front rows after being stuck in seats (free but) by the tunnel for like forever.... You can see the game well and see the booths.

And if you think 28 is cold....

https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/alena_korolkova/14359890/134422/134422_900.png

beach tribe
12-23-2017, 07:51 AM

I think people are sick of hearing about the Cowboys and all the ways their 7% chance to make the playoffs will unfold.

Seriously, though. People are sick of hearing the story lines about the media darlings and watching the same handful of teams have any shot a a ring.

95% Cowboys fans don't give a shit about football unless their team is championship caliber.

FloridaMan88
12-23-2017, 08:28 AM
Not hard to figure out... oversaturation with games on Thursday, Saturday, and Monday, and too many bad teams.

Why Not?
12-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Garbage quality of play. Every week you have maybe a couple of good games. Maybe. Games are over officiated and several major rules/interpretations are unclear to most of the players, let alone the fans. Several points others have made about stale coaches and players. Bad play calling that most fans could see backfiring(4th and 1, "let's go for it!" Runs up the middle for loss of 1).

However, I'm not sure how threatened the league really is. Guys like me are a part of the "problem". For all the reasons listed by me and everyone else, the league is offering a poor quality product . But I'll still watch every Sunday and I'll still buy Sunday Ticket(the years I don't get it free)because fantasy football and gambling on football is just to damn fun to give up!

DaneMcCloud
12-23-2017, 09:49 AM
But I'll still watch every Sunday and I'll still buy Sunday Ticket(the years I don't get it free)because fantasy football and gambling on football is just to damn fun to give up!

With legalized Sports Gambling coming down the pike, the NFL will be become more popular than ever.

Bowser
12-23-2017, 09:52 AM

NFL can blame the anthem...but the truth is it's not worth the money anymore. If you're into tailgating...then it becomes a social experience...like a Grateful Dead concert...but other than that I dont see the value.

Goodell tried to make this sport appear more important than it was...and banked on the fans being dumber than they thought.

With legalized Sports Gambling coming down the pike, the NFL will be become more popular than ever.

^ Heavy dose of truth in the above posts.

And to take Dane's thought even further, with the popularity of the NFL facing it's first true stagnation point in years (since the strike?), you're going to see legalized sports betting nationwide way sooner rather than later.

tmax63
12-23-2017, 09:56 AM
The NFL is/has gradually priced itself out of the market that made them. Not as many people out there who will drop $4-5 hundred for a few hours of entertainment. Once the base gets disenfranchised and moves on to something else the sponsors will leave as well. Won't happen in the next 5 years but I'd bet you see a major drawback from where they are today in 10 years.

Bowser
12-23-2017, 10:05 AM
The NFL is/has gradually priced itself out of the market that made them. Not as many people out there who will drop $4-5 hundred for a few hours of entertainment. Once the base gets disenfranchised and moves on to something else the sponsors will leave as well. Won't happen in the next 5 years but I'd bet you see a major drawback from where they are today in 10 years.

I suppose in towns with perennial winners (the few that there are), the price is accepted because, you know, they're supporting perennial winners. For the other 85% of the league, it just isn't worth the price you pay. To apply it to Arrowhead for me personally, once they changed the rules of tailgating, they effectively killed my desire to drop big coin to go watch their product. The tailgate was just as much fun as the game for us since the product on the field when I had my tickets wasn't worth a shit.

They can keep it. I've been offered free tickets that are pretty damned good seats to tomorrow's game and I have zero desire to go out there, and this is a game where the Chiefs can clinch the AFC West for the second year in a row if they win (amazing to think that will be the first time in their history they'll pull that off if they do it). The investment is not worth the return for me anymore, especially considering I can go have fun at a number of sports bars and spend less money, or just stay at home with the big screen and Red Zone.

DaneMcCloud
12-23-2017, 10:48 AM
The NFL is/has gradually priced itself out of the market that made them.

False
Not as many people out there who will drop $4-5 hundred for a few hours of entertainment.

$400-500 per person? What?

Once the base gets disenfranchised and moves on to something else the sponsors will leave as well.

Nope. NFL is as popular as ever, it's just that the Nielsen ratings don't fully reflect its popularity due to other ways of watching games.

Again, Verizon just paid $2.5 Billion for 5 years for the rights to provide their customers with the option to watch any and every NFL game each week. Not only is that contradictory to your "opinion" and the "opinions" of the many uninformed people in this very thread, it also provides each team with an additional $15,625,00.00 million dollars in operating revenue, 48% of which will go towards increasing the salary cap ($7.5 million per team).

The sponsors aren't going anywhere.

Won't happen in the next 5 years but I'd bet you see a major drawback from where they are today in 10 years.

Complete and utter speculation based on anything other than facts.

DaneMcCloud
12-23-2017, 11:00 AM
I suppose in towns with perennial winners (the few that there are), the price is accepted because, you know, they're supporting perennial winners. For the other 85% of the league, it just isn't worth the price you pay.

I think that it depends on the team, the facility, the price, etc. I've been to Rams games at the Coliseum and many Chargers games at the Murph. Both were extremely easy getting in and out of the parking lot, the stadium, etc.

Years back, we went to the Chiefs-Jets game at the Meadowlands. We took a train from Manhattan to a bus station, in which the bus dropped us off in the parking lot. Grabbed the bus on the way back to Manhattan and it was a super easy and fun experience.

To apply it to Arrowhead for me personally, once they changed the rules of tailgating, they effectively killed my desire to drop big coin to go watch their product. The tailgate was just as much fun as the game for us since the product on the field when I had my tickets wasn't worth a shit.

I've been hearing this more and more from friends that not only live there but friends that have flown into KC for a game. $60 dollars for Game Day Parking, too many drunks and a 60-90 minute exit time from the stadium.

I think that this is a local KC issue and not one experienced by every team in the league.

The investment is not worth the return for me anymore, especially considering I can go have fun at a number of sports bars and spend less money, or just stay at home with the big screen and Red Zone.

The NFL is finally embracing technology and realizing that the Game Day Experience is generally much better at home than at the stadium, which is why they began experimenting with Live Streaming this year with Amazon and signed the Verizon deal.

Stadiums generate very little revenue compared to that of TV and Streaming Deals and it's up to each individual team to market their product to the locals.

If the Chiefs begin to see a significant drop in attendance while their product on the field remains strong, it's up to Mark Donovan and associates to make changes to the pricing structure that's more appealing to the fans.

ILChief
12-23-2017, 11:20 AM
Pats fans hate Gooddell and the league because he suspended their quarterback. They openly mocked him during the Thursday night season opener

They are stupid. Every controversial call goes their way. Tuck rule, that BS jets "fumble" this year, the Steelers "incomplete pass" last week. The league goes out of is way to coddle and protect the pats. The four game suspension for Brady was just a PR stunt. Coincidence they played four garbage teams during his suspension.

tk13
12-23-2017, 11:23 AM
I can't, for any reason, understand the extension.

Go visit the thread that has the Forbes team values in it, and you'll get your answer.

cooper barrett
12-23-2017, 11:39 AM
In 10 years the owners will have replaced players with autonomous players and the salary cap will be a another issue. It will be limiting R+D $ in the future.

Gamers and software engineers will run the league and computers will draw up stupid trick plays and endzone dances making Andy an antique.

Finally Junior will be able to move out of his parents basement and millionaire thugs won't be beating the shit out of their wives and GFs. Colleges will go broke without their football revenue, and CTE will be a thing of the past.

Yeah the NFL stands a chance at survival but I see teams wildcating for revenues instead of sticking with the program as we know it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VRqpLwd717U?rel=0&amp;controls=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Madden (EA Tiburon/ EA Sports) is going to make a ****ing killing as they had it figured out for years and has just been waiting for technology to catch up. They are so slick they have colleges doing the research for them

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aKJalb3gXcY?rel=0&amp;controls=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why Not?
12-23-2017, 11:46 AM

I can't wait for this day to arrive. Vegas and the Indian communities out here will fight this to the end(at least in AZ). So stupid we have to go to a neighboring state to lay legit live action.

Bearcat
12-23-2017, 12:09 PM
-oversaturation including Europe games nobody wants
-overpriced tickets and parking
-absurdly bad TV deal that restricts access unless you own a dish, while other leagues are expanding local and streaming
-incompetent owners like Mike brown and Jim irsay who will never be replaced. Largely because revenue sharing allows incompetent owners to still profit handsomely
-disinterested owners with no fresh ideas on improving the game experience (terrible halftime shows, in game music, etc...)
-injuries have made several teams unwatchable
-relocation mania to an LA market that struggled big time with attendance with 2 teams
-over emphasis on penalizing defenses. And too many flags in general
-horrible marketing. Very few marketable superstars

The NFL was on the decline. The anthem reaction was the straw that broke the camels back. If the NFL was a watchable product, the reaction wouldn't be nearly as severe. In most of the above cases, the owners and Goodell chose profits over the fan experience.

Garbage quality of play. Every week you have maybe a couple of good games. Maybe. Games are over officiated and several major rules/interpretations are unclear to most of the players, let alone the fans. Several points others have made about stale coaches and players. Bad play calling that most fans could see backfiring(4th and 1, "let's go for it!" Runs up the middle for loss of 1).

Yep. I've had a couple of the Chiefs' prime time games on in the background, but the Steelers/Patriots has really been the only one of real interest, and the last drive was completely predictable and they also managed to fuck it up.

I usually tune in during the 2nd round of the playoffs or the conference championship games when the few teams worth a shit are playing, but.... meh. :shrug:

GloryDayz
12-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Everybody hates him, I'm not sure that means Pats fan aren't happy with the league itself.

GloryDayz
12-23-2017, 12:41 PM
I think people are sick of hearing about the Cowboys and all the ways their 7% chance to make the playoffs will unfold.

Seriously, though. People are sick of hearing the story lines about the media darlings and watching the same handful of teams have any shot a a ring.

95% Cowboys fans don't give a shit about football unless their team is championship caliber.

Perhaps our problem is too many people care even if the product sucks. With an owner that's 99% content with just the profits he'll get for just being an owner (so he can fund other things), the lack of outrage just enables him all the more.

tmax63
12-23-2017, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=DaneMcCloud;13303236]False

I guess I don't know who the average fan is anymore. I know I can't really afford to drop that kind of money for a product I can see better on the TV.
I'll clarify, $4-500 for 2 people. I don't go to events like a ballgame by myself routinely. Mama would be pizzed if I left her at home.

chiefzilla1501
12-23-2017, 05:26 PM
As I've said before, the owners need a shakeup. The revenue sharing deal while it may protect small markets, it also protects shitty owners like Irsay and mike brown. Too many dinosaurs in the league. Every owner runs their team like a business, not like an entertainment option. Ideally, you'd have a few owners who try some crazy shit, another owner sees it works and copies it. Sadly, the biggest recent tech changes in the NFL were borrowed from the xfl, not from their own people.

chiefzilla1501
12-23-2017, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=DaneMcCloud;13303236]False

I guess I don't know who the average fan is anymore. I know I can't really afford to drop that kind of money for a product I can see better on the TV.
I'll clarify, $4-500 for 2 people. I don't go to events like a ballgame by myself routinely. Mama would be pizzed if I left her at home.

I don't know who the average fan is. But theres no doubt that that is a significant chunk of change for a lot of fans. Especially if you include parking and concessions. Id also guess that a lot of these fans are diehards.

RippedmyFlesh
12-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Cheifs fans would love buffalo's setup. An exit off highway not city driving to get to the stadium. Easy in easy out for tailgatters. On a bus you will wait in traffic a while but in your own vehicle isnt bad at all.

cooper barrett
12-23-2017, 07:35 PM
I am surprised they haven't banned tailgating as we know it. What,you don't think Carl(the ass) Peterson didn't consider it? I know for a fact he walked through the lots and saw money begging to be separated from fans.

It's probably a "scared to do" thing but can teams control their total parking areas to that extent?

Will we see beer and food trucks parked in the lots and be forced to purchase all alcohol from them or risk being ejected and loose your seat?

GloryDayz
12-23-2017, 09:27 PM
I am surprised they haven't banned tailgating as we know it. What,you don't think Carl(the ass) Peterson didn't consider it? I know for a fact he walked through the lots and saw money begging to be separated from fans.

It's probably a "scared to do" thing but can teams control their total parking areas to that extent?

Will we see beer and food trucks parked in the lots and be forced to purchase all alcohol from them or risk being ejected and loose your seat?

I doubt it, but I'm sure the Hunts think by not doing so they're being generous.

And a Christmas eve game is always hard to sell out, but I got tickets for under $50, there in a great viewing location, and there were some that were $13. I can do that a couple of times a year. And it's ONE HELL OF A LOT LESS EXPENSIVE that what I was spending for tickets from 2001-2007 when I was a STH. With my hockey team's schedule the per-game route is shit-tons better.

cooper barrett
12-23-2017, 10:39 PM
I honestly think it's more to do with contracts with foodservice vendors than anything. Who wants their people, trucks, grills out in the elements when they have a captive audience inside. With the tents they have somewhat done the same thing on a smaller scale...

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-23-2017, 10:48 PM
I once wondered if the NFL adopting something like relegation would help improve the shitass owners, but I have a feeling it would encourage teams to play and seek out QB talent in the most bitchmade way possible so that they don't drop out of the league

cooper barrett
12-23-2017, 11:49 PM
I once wondered if the NFL adopting something like relegation would help improve the shitass owners, but I have a feeling it would encourage teams to play and seek out QB talent in the most bitchmade way possible so that they don't drop out of the league

I'd have to see that w/ 32 teams? No, I don't think so, yet I'm not a big fan of worst gets the best either.

chiefzilla1501
12-24-2017, 10:37 AM

Unfortunately I don't think there's a damn thing we can do. The best option might be for Jerry Jones to win the argument to have less revenue sharing. It would hold owners more accountable for building their own fan base instead of relying on the cowboys to make money for them. Maybe some owners starting to approach the red will force a few ownership changes. As long as you keep the salary cap and floor, I don't think it will impact parity. I would have worried about owners using that as an excuse to try to move the team to a different city but now that LA is filled, I don't see that happening.

GoChargers
12-24-2017, 12:43 PM

Promotion and relegation are never going to work in American sports this late in the game. For starters, where would the worst teams in the NFL even get relegated to? They don't have their own professional minor league(s) like the other sports do. It only "works" in Europe because their leagues were built to support it from day one - and even then, all it ever accomplishes is shuffling around the cupcakes for the mega-rich teams to beat.

We have the draft instead, and it's a better system because it gives every fanbase some semblance of hope for the future. For the majority of fanbases in Europe, merely avoiding relegation in their country's top league is their championship. That's pretty sad.

Demonpenz
12-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Leicester City moved up to premier and won a title.

chiefzilla1501
12-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Promotion and relegation are never going to work in American sports this late in the game. For starters, where would the worst teams in the NFL even get relegated to? They don't have their own professional minor league(s) like the other sports do. It only "works" in Europe because their leagues were built to support it from day one - and even then, all it ever accomplishes is shuffling around the cupcakes for the mega-rich teams to beat.

We have the draft instead, and it's a better system because it gives every fanbase some semblance of hope for the future. For the majority of fanbases in Europe, merely avoiding relegation in their country's top league is their championship. That's pretty sad.

Not necessarily a better system. It allows too many bad owners to skate away with mediocrity. Parity is overrated in some respects. The worst owners... Need to take them behind the barn and shoot em.

NJChiefsFan
12-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Overturns like this in the NE game aren't going to help. How that gets turned around is beyond me. I would be out of my mind if I was a Bills fan.

ThaVirus
12-28-2017, 05:25 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/BenVolin/status/946466172454699009

cosmo20002
12-28-2017, 06:44 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/BenVolin/status/946466172454699009

It'll be going out of business any day now.
/CP wierdos

Jimmya
12-28-2017, 06:48 PM
NFL is king and people will always hate. Fox sports southwest televised every Texas state Championship football game at Jerry World. Football rules!