PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs MELLINGER: The Disconnect between the 6-2 Chiefs and the fatalism of their fans

Pages : [1] 2

pugsnotdrugs19
11-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Pretty good article by Sam Mellinger that goes in depth on the 'why' behind the Chiefs fan base being so negative despite a 6-2 record. ---> http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article182559536.html

You could not find many places more schooled in watching bad teams, or more familiar with the markers of a future disappointment than Kansas City.

Just in this century we’ve seen the 2003 Royals blow a seven game lead at the All-Star break. We’ve seen the 2003 Chiefs earn a bye and a home playoff game and nosedive right away because of a fraudulent defense.

We’ve seen the 2012 Our Time Royals make a mockery of optimism, and the 2013 Chiefs turn a 9-0 start and 28-point playoff lead into a cruel prologue, to say nothing of Sporting Kansas City’s most recent fade or, because we don’t want you to punch the screen you’re reading this on, anything about the area’s major colleges.

All of that is true, and the following paragraph is not meant as a challenge to Kansas City’s collective Ph.D. in sports letdown. This is just an honest statement about how past and factually irrelevant experiences color the way we feel about the now:

The Kicker Who Shall Not Be Named has nothing to do with Harrison Butker, and Greg Robinson has nothing to do with Justin Houston. If this exact group of players with this exact record played in another place, many in Kansas City would almost certainly believe it to be a better team than these Chiefs.

Fan satisfaction is impossible to measure, but if social media, emails, voicemails and other forms of expression are to be believed there is an enormous disconnect between the Chiefs’ 6-2 start and their fans’ general fatalism.

No Chiefs team has started a season with higher expectations in some time, so the same results that would be interpreted with encouragement in the past are now being scrutinized like a doctoral dissertation.

They blew out the Patriots — but that was too long ago.

Alex Smith is the league’s best quarterback halfway through the season — but he’s still Captain Checkdown.

Kareem Hunt leads the league in rushing — but the defense can’t stop the run.

Houston looked healthy again against the Broncos — but the Chiefs couldn’t put away a mediocre team with a horrendous quarterback.

NFL power rankings are among the most useless things in American sports, other than to gauge the current perception across the league rather than locally. The Chiefs rank as high as second and no lower than fourth in power rankings by ESPN, NFL.com, Sports Illustrated, CBS, NBC, and the Associated Press. Most of those rankings are topped by the Eagles, who lost their only game at Arrowhead Stadium. According to OddsShark.com, the Chiefs have the fourth-best odds of reaching the Super Bowl.

Every factual positive from this specific group is weighed against a past that’s taught Chiefs fans that every highlight is the lead-in to a punch in the face, that every bit of playoff optimism is a setup for embarrassment.

Let’s be clear about something, too: that’s unfair to this particular team, but absolutely deserved for this particular franchise.

The Chiefs have taught their fans that failing to at least prepare for a letdown at the end is a bit like standing on the roof with a 3-iron toward the sky during a lightning storm.

By any logical measure, this Chiefs team is very good, with the potential to be great. Only three teams can feel they have a realistic shot at representing the AFC in the Super Bowl — the Chiefs, Patriots, and Steelers. The Chiefs beat the Patriots in a blowout on the road and lost to the Steelers in a close game at home.

The following are objective facts: the Chiefs are 6-2 against one of the league’s toughest schedules, fourth in point differential, fifth in Football Outsiders’ DVOA, and first in the so-called Mother Of All Stats, which is essentially a measurement of the difference between how efficiently a team passes and how well it defends the pass.

But, wait — there’s more!

The NFL is largely about attrition, and the Chiefs have already lost star safety Eric Berry and No. 2 receiver Chris Conley for the season. But they’ve also played most or all of the first eight games with important pieces who are starting to return.

Center Mitch Morse and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif will strengthen the interior of the offensive line, which has been a significant problem. Tamba Hali will almost certainly be back at some point in the second half, providing more pass rush juice.

Steven Nelson’s return means the defense’s single greatest positional weakness — slot corner, where Phil Gaines had been playing out of position and poorly — is now a strength.

None of this is meant as a case that the Chiefs are the best team in the AFC, or a team without significant weaknesses. The Chiefs’ loss to the Steelers last month was a virtual replay of their loss to the Steelers last postseason, and more than anything else, that’s where the fan fatalism is coming from.

If the Chiefs had the same record, but swapped out losing to the Steelers for, say, the Eagles, then the general self-esteem of fans would undoubtedly be higher.

Losing to that team, in that way — again — is cruel treatment for Chiefs fans. Sort of like losing a fistfight, then being forced to watch a boxing match with the guy who beat you up.

Combined with the mostly cruel history of being a Chiefs fan, it doesn’t matter that losing to the Steelers last month doesn’t guarantee a result in a hypothetical playoff game any more than beating them would have. We have seen this movie. The ending is gory, and tearful. It’s up to the Chiefs to convince fans the sequel is better.

Because that loss — and even the win over Denver — shines light on what’s always been the team’s most likely fatal flaw. They just can’t stop the run. Some of that is an emphasis on defending the pass, some is Berry’s injury, some is Derrick Johnson’s aging, and some is that offenses have found success running at Dee Ford and Daniel Sorensen.

But there are no boats without holes in a league that priorities parity over everything except profits.

The Patriots are actually giving up more yards per rushing attempt than the Chiefs, and have surrendered more yards and yards per play than any other team in the league (even the Colts).

The Steelers’ offense is mediocre, and Ben Roethlisberger is clearly not what he used to be (10 touchdowns, nine interceptions and his worst completion percentage since 2008).

But you don’t notice your neighbor’s leaky roof as much as your own leaky faucet, so Chiefs fans of a certain age will never fully trust a quarterback after Elvis Grbac, or a kicker after You Know Who, or a playoff lead after Indianapolis.

That’s not necessarily fair for these players on this team, who either weren’t around or virtually without exception had different roles in those past disappointments.

But fair’s got nothing to do with it, and none of this is the fault of fans. Those scars don’t go away by themselves. It’s up to the Chiefs to heal.

In that way, the end of this season will affect how this franchise is viewed for years — by either changing or dramatically reinforcing the history of even the brightest moments being followed by the darkest letdowns.

ModSocks
11-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Pussies. Enjoy the ride. Anything can happen. And stop being so damn emotional when they lose.

Been there, done that. Got it out of my system.

Discuss Thrower
11-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Hard to expect different results when the Chiefs have repeated the same formula for 30 years.

Sofa King
11-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Yup

Hoover
11-03-2017, 05:40 PM
I love Chiefs fans.

They over protect themselves to protect them from having their hearts broken yet again.

Sometimes I just wish people around here would enjoy it more. Shit, Andy Reid is a great coach, and we are a play off team year in and year out. Crap I saw that the Bills have not been in the playoffs since 1999 - yikes, that's the year I graduated College and worked for Steve Forbes who was running for president.

As a life long Cubs fan, who until last year never tasted what victory truely tasted like, enjoy every ounce of the struggle. Its worth it. We will win more games than we lose. But someday, we will win it all. Its not something that will be easy, but gutwrenching difficult. I can't wait. Oh, and we have a young gunslinger waiting in the wings...

Shit, I feel like we are already on top of the world.

Hoover
Yup
Thank you.

ModSocks
They over protect themselves to protect them from having their hearts broken yet again.

ClayCoMo is a perfect example of this.

Total cuck. Soy boy.

Hammock Parties
11-03-2017, 05:49 PM
ClayCoMo is a perfect example of this.

Total cuck. Soy boy.

Oh, fuck off.

I cannot muster the cognitive dissonance required to believe this team is anything but a one-and-done in waiting.

GloucesterChief
11-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Hope for the best, expect the worst.

pugsnotdrugs19
11-03-2017, 05:53 PM
To be clear, I am not on the side of negativity... just posting the article. I still believe in this team's SB aspirations.

ModSocks
11-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Oh, **** off.

I cannot muster the cognitive dissonance required to believe this team is anything but a one-and-done in waiting.

Whatever you say Soy boy. Just keep protecting yourself so your feewings dont get hurt.

stevieray
11-03-2017, 05:58 PM

which, in reality, makes any victory anti-climatic...hard to feel true joy when you won't risk putting it all on the line.

.....stealing from yourself.

eDave
11-03-2017, 06:00 PM
No different than any other fan base.

Chiefshrink
11-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Oh, **** off.

Agreed. We are a very weak 6-2 team and this weekend will prove it. EE will run for 200plus and 3 TDs if not 4. It will be ugly. The only way it will not be ugly is if our running game is there which will keep Dak off the field. But Dallas will have their way with our D. We have very little pass rush to begin with and now with Houston possibly "wussing out" what is there?? Dak will have all day to pass and EE will have mack truck size holes to run through. :shake:

HemiEd
11-03-2017, 06:04 PM
I love Chiefs fans.

The 95 loss to Indy was on the beginning.
It took me about 5 years to get over that ****ing at the hands of the officials to Denver in the 98 playoffs, then the no punt game to Indy from the 2003 team.

I live in Missouri now. SHOW ME

temper11
11-03-2017, 06:08 PM
which, in reality, makes any victory anti-climatic...hard to feel true joy when you won't risk putting it all on the line.

This. I believed in my Dodgers right up until the final out - and have for the past how ever many seasons in a row that we've won the division but weren't able to advance to the WS. And it hurts like f*** every time. But I'll believe again, because it's just more fun that way and ultimately, more rewarding when the big win finally comes.

TripleThreat
11-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Pussies. Enjoy the ride. Anything can happen. And stop being so damn emotional when they lose.

Been there, done that. Got it out of my system.

Couldnt agree more. Our QB has finally let loose.

#1 in yards per attempt
#1 in Rating
#2 in yards
Top 5 or some sh*t in TD's thrown
0 INT's WTF

TyreekHill, Kareem hunt both younger than young..

Defense.. Ok you got me there.

but this is a great season, and our offense is top 5 in the league... loving it, and hope we go all the way, but even the best teams like the 19-0 patriots can fall short..

ANYTHING can happen. lets just hope its our year.

Chiefshrink
11-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Great point !!

Very true and Biblical !!;)

I steal from me all the time, sad to say. I'm just too much of a realist. Dang it !! There I go again !!:D

stevieray
11-03-2017, 06:21 PM
This. I believed in my Dodgers right up until the final out - and have for the past how ever many seasons in a row that we've won the division but weren't able to advance to the WS. And it hurts like f*** every time. But I'll believe again, because it's just more fun that way and ultimately, more rewarding when the big win finally comes.

I was born in 62...they won the SB two months before my 8th birthday.

Watched it on a B&W TV with my Mom and Uncle.

We're closer now, than we've been in quite awhile.

I want the Lamar Hunt Trophy in KC.

stevieray
11-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Great point !!

Very true and Biblical !!;)

I steal from me all the time, sad to say. I'm just too much of a realist. Dang it !! There I go again !!:D

gotta have faith. otherwise, why bother?

;)

lewdog
11-03-2017, 06:25 PM
If we get another shit team like the Texans in the first game again, we may just win another playoff game.

After that, this team is definitely suspect. Not sure what fan of this team would choose to ignore such obvious defensive flaws? It's not about being negative. It's about evaluating the current team's chances to win against the other top 3 teams in the AFC. Granted, this defense isn't AS bad as the defenses of the 00's, but it's also got severe limitations to win close games.

stevieray
11-03-2017, 06:27 PM
If we get another shit team like the Texans in the first game again, we may just win another playoff game.

After that, this team is definitely suspect. Not sure what fan of this team would choose to ignore such obvious defensive flaws? It's not about being negative. It's about evaluating the current team's chances to win against the other top 3 teams in the AFC. Granted, this defense isn't AS bad as the defenses of the 00's, but it's also got severe limitations to win close games.

..if only we were 7-1, or 8-0..

LMAO

lewdog
11-03-2017, 06:32 PM
..if only we were 7-1, or 8-0..

LMAO

I'd still feel similar, if say we had won that Oakland game at the end.

Nothing in the past 3 games leads me to believe this team is trending up.

Chiefshrink
11-03-2017, 06:42 PM

That's because you have good "football eyes".:thumb: Our running game is slowly tanking as well.

Chiefs4TheWin
11-03-2017, 06:42 PM

I agree with this. I've not seen any improvement from week 1 till now.

temper11
11-03-2017, 06:43 PM
I was born in 62...they won the SB two months before my 8th birthday.

Watched it on a B&W TV with my Mom and Uncle.

We're closer now, than we've been in quite awhile.

I want the Lamar Hunt Trophy in KC.

I hope you get it this year.

Buehler445
11-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Win the whole fucking thing.

fan4ever
11-03-2017, 07:01 PM
I'm almost at the half a century mark of being a Chief's fan...and "winning seasons" are great but eventually there's a time when it's winning it all becomes paramount.

Winning seasons are great but I don't think I've ever bought a "AFC West Champions" cap or t-shirt. Sooner or later you realize you've spent so much emotional capital you wonder what the hell you're doing. This year for the first time in many I watched what seemed to be a dominant team turning the corner...and I was SO EXCITED....and now I'm pretty sure they're slipping back into what's will be another winning but disappointing year.

temper11
11-03-2017, 07:03 PM
I agree with this. I've not seen any improvement from week 1 till now.

I agree as well, but I think that's primarily due to injury. Hopefully the oline will improve as it gets back up to full strength and the WR's will play a little better now that they've had a few games under their belt after the injuries to Conley and Wilson.

Not sure what hope there is for defensive improvement other than hoping Sutton can figure out where his problems lie and improve them. Was really hoping he Chiefs would make a move before the trade deadline defensively to improve.

DaFace
11-03-2017, 07:04 PM
I have a theory (I certainly don't know for sure) that, if we win the Super Bowl, we're all going to somehow feel let down. We've built it up for so long that it's almost impossible for the reality to meet expectations.

Having watched the Broncos do it as a local, it was kind of hilarious to me that people were bitching on talk radio not even a week after the game.

Sports fans just tend to be negative. It's a function of the fact that, in any given year, your team has a 1 in 32 chance of actually winning it.

temper11
11-03-2017, 07:05 PM
I'm almost at the half a century mark of being a Chief's fan...and "winning seasons" are great but eventually there's a time when it's winning it all becomes paramount.

Winning seasons are great but I don't think I've ever bought a "AFC West Champions" cap or t-shirt. Sooner or later you realize you've spent so much emotional capital you wonder what the hell you're doing. This year for the first time in many I watched what seemed to be a dominant team turning the corner...and I was SO EXCITED....and now I'm pretty sure they're slipping back into what's will be another winning but disappointing year.

Look around the league though... everyone is slipping. Have to wait and see which teams figure out their weaknesses and adjusts effectively to compensate. I'm hoping that's the Chiefs.

notorious
11-03-2017, 07:07 PM
I still can't grasp how this team can beat several other good teams soundly yet have such gaping holes.

frozenchief
11-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Decent article but I wonder what happens if they end the season at 13-3. I pray for either 14-2 or 12-4. I recognize it is pure superstition and has no bearing on reality but I freely admit that if they go 13-3 I will be really concerned.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2017, 07:10 PM
I still can't grasp how this team can beat several other good teams soundly yet have such gaping holes.

Welcome to the NFL

RippedmyFlesh
11-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Look around the league though... everyone is slipping. Have to wait and see which teams figure out their weaknesses and adjusts effectively to compensate. I'm hoping that's the Chiefs.

I agree a wide open year like this year is our best shot.

stevieray
11-03-2017, 07:12 PM

like what...blowouts?

that's just unrealistic...the game predetermines that.

DaFace

Small sample size in the NFL tends to mask the (very significant) role that luck and random chance have on who wins or loses a game.
Due to the nature of having such specialized roles on a team, individual matchups can have a huge impact. A team can be shit, but if it has one player who can exploit his opponent the entire game, it can completely change the game.

Watching a lot more hockey and baseball in recent years has really helped me to calm the fuck down after losses. I wish it were possible for the NFL to play games in series without having a season that lasts the entire year and results with 90% of players injured by the end.

stevieray
I hope you get it this year.

I hope we all do, brother!

:)

fan4ever
11-03-2017, 07:13 PM

I'm hoping too but I no longer see that team we watched the first 5 weeks. I'm seeing the team we've watched the last 3 years.

I have a buddy I play tennis with; plays really aggressive at certain times and can be dominating...until he loses a few games...then he's back to playing it safe in order not to lose...and ends up losing. This is what I see in Reid.

Ming the Merciless
11-03-2017, 07:15 PM
"Just accept what happens...dont get mad the same failed ideas are used for 50 years with no results....be happy you win in regular season"

DaFace
11-03-2017, 07:15 PM
I'm hoping too but I no longer see that team we watched the first 5 weeks. I'm seeing the team we've watched the last 3 years.

I have a buddy I play tennis with; plays really aggressive at certain times and can be dominating...until he loses a few games...then he's back to playing it safe in order not to lose...and ends up losing. This is what I see in Reid.

Reid has had periods of playing it safe in just about every win we've had this year. You just don't notice it because it actually works a majority of the time.

notorious
11-03-2017, 07:20 PM
The only way this team sniffs the SB is if the defense has some metamorphosis that forces the officials to start calling holds and ignites a Indy 2006-like playoff run.

Buzz
11-03-2017, 07:32 PM
I said about 4 weeks ago, this was the most complete team I had every seen, then the defense went tits up. Granted, the schedule didn't help but it was an eyeopener as to I was setting myself for dispoint. Already took a step back from the ledge.

Best22
11-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Nothing to be mad about. Smith is balling. We're 6-2. Tons of prime time games. Owning the division. Chance to watch team win exciting game.

Assuming we don't win the Superbowl this year, we got that kid Mahomes waiting in the wings. Solid organization, winning, and we have a stud first round quarterback

If your mad your crazy. This is what you guys wanted for years

Buehler445
11-03-2017, 07:43 PM
I have a theory (I certainly don't know for sure) that, if we win the Super Bowl, we're all going to somehow feel let down. We've built it up for so long that it's almost impossible for the reality to meet expectations.

Having watched the Broncos do it as a local, it was kind of hilarious to me that people were bitching on talk radio not even a week after the game.

Sports fans just tend to be negative. It's a function of the fact that, in any given year, your team has a 1 in 32 chance of actually winning it.

Disagree.

I’m not even that big of a Royals fan and it was a giant relief when the my won the wildcard game. The sweeps to the series were pure elation and while losing the series was no fun, it was just a relief to be relevant. Then when they won in-15 it was marvelous.

16 and 17 were fairly frustrating but it’s hard to be really upset because rings.

Same when KU won. That team had HUGE expectations. And they persevered through crap officiating, bad games and the general randomness of single elimination. Winning was sooooooo goddamned fun. I was running around outside my house in Sidney like a maniac. If I’d have lived in town someone prolly would have called the law. Since then Self gets a ton of slack from me. Prison Bitch inexplicably wants him fired but I don’t think those type of fans are prevelant. Put together a successful program and most fans will give you leeway. In my experience anyway.

DaFace
11-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Disagree.

I’m not even that big of a Royals fan and it was a giant relief when the my won the wildcard game. The sweeps to the series were pure elation and while losing the series was no fun, it was just a relief to be relevant. Then when they won in-15 it was marvelous.

16 and 17 were fairly frustrating but it’s hard to be really upset because rings.

Same when KU won. That team had HUGE expectations. And they persevered through crap officiating, bad games and the general randomness of single elimination. Winning was sooooooo goddamned fun. I was running around outside my house in Sidney like a maniac. If I’d have lived in town someone prolly would have called the law. Since then Self gets a ton of slack from me. Prison Bitch inexplicably wants him fired but I don’t think those type of fans are prevelant. Put together a successful program and most fans will give you leeway. In my experience anyway.

I guess I'm just envisioning the reaction on this place. Would we all be elated for a day or two? Of course. But say it happens this year, and it looks like Alex is playing at an All Pro level. What's the over under on how many days (hours) go by after the Super Bowl before a "trade Alex" thread shows up?

ChiefsPlanet, for the most part, is built on pessimism. I'm just not convinced that we're all gonna somehow be happier a year from now regardless of what the Chiefs do in the postseason.

O.city
11-03-2017, 08:08 PM
I guess I'm just envisioning the reaction on this place. Would we all be elated for a day or two? Of course. But say it happens this year, and it looks like Alex is playing at an All Pro level. What's the over under on how many days (hours) go by after the Super Bowl before a "trade Alex" thread shows up?

ChiefsPlanet, for the most part, is built on pessimism. I'm just not convinced that we're all gonna somehow be happier a year from now regardless of what the Chiefs do in the postseason.

I think we here at CP would feel cheated if the chiefs team that wins the SN isn't a flawless team.

Which will likely never happen

RunKC
11-03-2017, 08:10 PM

There are fans of this team that would not cheer for the Chiefs to win if they made the SB this year simply based on who is playing QB.

Lot of posters can't have their cake and eat it too.

Buehler445
11-03-2017, 08:11 PM

The trade Alex thread would show up while he was in the victory formation.

I think most fans would be happier for quite some time. But then again I give a lot of credit to The crew for the playoff win monkey (Thanks Hoyer!) and the first round QB. I’m on record as saying we aren’t winning anything with Alex but I’m not wielding a torch and pitchfork like I was under Franchise Killer and Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards.

So while I harbor a fair bit of pessimism regarding our Super Bowl chances, it’s a gradient and I’m a long way from SOC depths.

stevieray
11-03-2017, 08:16 PM

screw that..I'll ride that wave as long as I can.

I think this speaks more to current culture than anything else.

apathy abounds...

Coochie liquor
11-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Let's face it. Without the officials fucking us in Chikeland we are 7-1. We have a 3 game lead in our division at the halfway point. It seems so far like this season is wide open. It could be our year, but even if it's not we have a bright future. Hopefully our qbotf is on the roster. We have some solid pieces to put around him to help him succeed when he gets the nod. After some offseason cuts we should have a decent amount of cap space. I'm excited about the future of the franchise regardless of how this season ends.
Do I expect us to win a championship this season? Fuck no, were the Chiefs. They haven't done that in my lifetime.
But is it a possibility with where our team currently is? Fuck yes, we can beat any team not named the Squeelers.

All that being said.... our past will always haunt us as Chiefs fans, even if we were to win it all this season

Nickhead
11-03-2017, 08:19 PM
being a chiefs fan in the past is like paying taxes for 50 years, and not one refund. :D

MMXcalibur
11-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Only when the Chiefs win the Super Bowl will I truly believe that this team can win a Super Bowl.

siberian khatru
11-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Only when the Chiefs win the Super Bowl will I truly believe that this team can win a Super Bowl.

Exactly

Rain Man
11-03-2017, 08:42 PM
We're all battered and abused, and then when you add things like the Peyton Manning Farewell Season, we're paranoid. Of course we're gunshy.

BigRedChief
11-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Oh, fuck off.

I cannot muster the cognitive dissonance required to believe this team is anything but a one-and-done in waiting.we have played in 3 playoff games in the last 2 years. Alex has played great in 2 of them. The other loss wasn't his fault. So at least there is that. And no one really believes Alex is here next season. The Mahomes era is starting soon.

Chief Northman
11-03-2017, 08:52 PM
We're all battered and abused, and then when you add things like the Peyton Manning Farewell Season, we're paranoid. Of course we're gunshy.

Don’t forget the Brady revenge tour. This year is the Rooney tribute.

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 09:00 PM
There are fans of this team that would not cheer for the Chiefs to win if they made the SB this year simply based on who is playing QB.

Lot of posters can't have their cake and eat it too.

There will be plenty of gnashing of teeth and out right dislike of Mahomes by lots of posters because he isn’t alex.

displacedinMN
11-03-2017, 09:09 PM
guarded optimism

Marcellus
11-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Hard to expect different results when the Chiefs have repeated the same formula for 30 years.

Not even close to true.

Dominant defense for 10 years and a shitty ball control run based offense that choked.

A few years of average on both sides of the ball.

A Dominant offense for 5 years with a terrible defense that couldn't stop a HS team.

4 years of average with a coach who was as conservative as it gets and made Marty look reckless.

4 years of WTF with Pioli? Cant even describe it.

Reid and company is the most balanced so far.

The result has been similar, the approach and the formula is not even close.

To say its the same is simplistic thought process.

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2017, 09:15 PM
we have played in 3 playoff games in the last 2 years. Alex has played great in 2 of them. The other loss wasn't his fault. So at least there is that. And no one really believes Alex is here next season. The Mahomes era is starting soon.

I want Alex to do well because of the trade value he'll have this upcoming offseason.

Marcellus
11-03-2017, 09:17 PM
There will be plenty of gnashing of teeth and out right dislike of Mahomes by lots of posters because he isn’t alex.

Thats a bullshit statement created by a personal hatred of Smith that overrides thier fandom of the Chiefs.

Just being honest dude. I heard people chanting for Mahomes in the stands at the Monday Night game.

And Posters on CP on your average Chiefs fans so who cares anyway.

Willie Lanier
11-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Win the whole ****ing thing.

Lou Brown approves of this post

:clap:

threebag
11-03-2017, 09:23 PM

I don't believe so. I haven't seen ACL CTE or any other injury shit by the "Smith" crowd. That's a lowlife Alex "Hater" schtick.

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 09:27 PM
I don't believe so. I haven't seen ACL CTE or any other injury shit by the "Smith" crowd. That's a lowlife Alex "Hater" schtick.

Yawn. Stop crying.

philfree
11-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Being a fan is like being a boxer. If you don't want to get hit in the face you should probably do something else.

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Thats a bullshit statement created by a personal hatred of Smith that overrides thier fandom of the Chiefs.

Just being honest dude. I heard people chanting for Mahomes in the stands at the Monday Night game.

And Posters on CP on your average Chiefs fans so who cares anyway.

Exactly who cares anyway. Either they win or they don’t.

Doesn’t really matter when it’s all said and done.

RunKC
11-03-2017, 09:31 PM

There like 2 posters who fit that criteria

Reerun_KC
11-03-2017, 09:34 PM

Until the franchise proves it can change the typical season ending gaffe. You can’t expect fan behavior and expectations of One and done to change.

And 8 games in, its like classic chiefs dejavue. Only the chiefs can change it. Has zero to do with the fans.

11-03-2017, 09:45 PM
I hear Bill Maas talking about this crap on 610 this morning. I'm so sick of the chiefs media trying to play the fans as if we are the problem. Getting burned year after year. Seeing half a team perform lights out and the other half half assed. Blowing it in the playoffs because of bullshit conservative playcalling. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win. We see all this shit every year. Yet they question why we guard ourselves from being too optimistic.

Its basically a fans form of PTSD at this point. Not to make light of how big an issue real PTSD is, I just couldn't think of a better way to state it.

Best22
11-03-2017, 09:50 PM
It's never black and white. Some Pats fans get super pissed with every loss. And some Bills fans laugh off every loss and failed campaign since 1999

tk13
11-03-2017, 10:02 PM
It's not just that they lose in the playoffs, they lose in the most excruciating way possible. The least painful loss was honestly the one against the Ravens with Cassel. Otherwise it's a no punt game, or a game where they blow a record lead, or a killer holding call on a 2 point conversion.

It's just mentally hard to get over that hump when you've seen 20 or 30 years of this. I think if you're being fair, Alex Smith is not Tom Brady, but he is absolutely playing well enough to win playoff games with a legit defense. But now we don't have anything resembling a great defense. Yeah there's a little bend but don't break, but they aren't playing like a defense that's really in control and making the opponent play into their hands. It's more like a mouse that's getting batted around by a cat for 60 minutes, and we're hoping they don't kill us. That's not a winning formula and everyone knows it. Doesn't matter if you have Smith, Mahomes, Rodgers, anyone.

OldSchool
11-03-2017, 10:17 PM
He must read CP.

philfree
11-03-2017, 10:23 PM
Honestly the less time I spend on Chiefs Planet the more optimistic I am.

Frazod
11-03-2017, 10:24 PM
http://www.ihateleeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/11C0G25.jpg

Easy 6
11-03-2017, 10:35 PM
I hear Bill Maas talking about this crap on 610 this morning. I'm so sick of the chiefs media trying to play the fans as if we are the problem. Getting burned year after year. Seeing half a team perform lights out and the other half half assed. Blowing it in the playoffs because of bullshit conservative playcalling. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win. We see all this shit every year. Yet they question why we guard ourselves from being too optimistic.

Its basically a fans form of PTSD at this point. Not to make light of how big an issue real PTSD is, I just couldn't think of a better way to state it.

Its all about this

All In
11-03-2017, 10:36 PM
I love Chiefs fans.

Sometimes I just wish people around here would enjoy it more. Shit, Andy Reid is a great coach, and we are a play off team year in and year out. Crap I saw that the Bills have not been in the playoffs since 1999 - yikes, that's the year I graduated College and worked for Steve Forbes who was running for president.

As a life long Cubs fan, who until last year never tasted what victory truely tasted like, enjoy every ounce of the struggle. Its worth it. We will win more games than we lose. But someday, we will win it all. Its not something that will be easy, but gutwrenching difficult. I can't wait. Oh, and we have a young gunslinger waiting in the wings...

So true...never beter words spoken!!!

All In
11-03-2017, 10:39 PM
gotta have faith. otherwise, why bother?

;)

Yep yep!

cdcox
11-03-2017, 10:41 PM
No different than any other fan base.

What? Steelers, Donks, Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, Packers, Seahawks fans do not at all think like Chiefs fans.

I will give you Detroit, Jets, Benglas Rules, Browns, and Bills. We just historically suck through unforced errors.

Eleazar
11-03-2017, 10:51 PM
It's all window dressing when your defense can't stop anyone. It's not Kansas City fan fatalism to see the writing on the wall there.

11-03-2017, 10:53 PM
I can already see this turning into a True Fans thread.

We are all fans. We all support the team in our own way. It shouldn't matter what that way is. In the end, when the Chiefs finally win the big one, we will enjoy it the same way.

Ok, maybe a few won't be happy but only a few.

splatbass
11-03-2017, 10:56 PM

This is the dumbest post of the day. Most of us will be happy if he is successful. We aren't like you and your idiot cohorts who can't be happy with a successful QB because he isn't your choice.

11-03-2017, 10:58 PM
This is the dumbest post of the day. Most of us will be happy when if he is successful. We aren't like you and your idiot cohorts who can't be happy with a successful QB because he isn't your choice.

Exactly. Alex is the QB so I want Alex to be the best he can be. When Mahomes takes over I'll feel the same way about him.

Chiefs4TheWin
11-03-2017, 11:01 PM

I live in Steeler Country. It's the complete opposite here. They could have their 3rd string QB in due to injury against the patriots and they STILL believe they can win it. The egos of Steeler fans here is astoundingly different.

cdcox
11-03-2017, 11:14 PM

RunKC
JakeF
Mav
Sandy V (depending on the day)
Easy 6
RobBlake
Ken Bone
penbrook
Best22
GloryDayz
Stevie Ray
Temper11
Cooper Barrett
Marcellus
IowaHawkeyeChief

...just to get started.

splatbass
11-03-2017, 11:18 PM
RunKC
JakeF
Mav
Easy 6
RobBlake
Ken Bone
penbrook
Best22
GloryDayz
Stevie Ray
Temper11
Cooper Barrett
Marcellus
IowaHawkeyeChief

...just to get started.

Those are all people who will be fans of their team regardless of who the QB is. They are fans of the team, and it is a team sport.

cooper barrett
11-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Oh, **** off.

Hammer Panties, you seem to have a lot of issues along those orders...

Face it, The Chiefs just don't win games by a decisive margins, when they get ahead they up-shift, drop the RPMs, and save fuel. It cost us the Raider's game and many others since Andy has been here and before his time.

http://imghost.top/images/2017/11/04/ugly.png

It's been like this since Peterson got here. He accepted countless coaches who preached winning but couldn't walk the walk. Need I name names? Carl and Company made Chiefs fans accept having inconsistent teams that couldn't compete when it counted.

We now are well versed in the fact that Andy and Company are not any different. The Chiefs are inconsistent. Andy is not going to get us to drink the Kool-aid until he can win games when they count. Of the 2 loses we had this year both are a product of just that "inconsistency".

When you loose playoff games because of failing to be aggressive, playing conservatively when a game is no where near decided, and then having a game come down to poor clock management. No. Andy's not feeding me Kool-aid. Not now and maybe not ever.

http://www.kcconfidential.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Andy-Reid-Kool-Aid.jpg

This is MO and "Show Me" is what every Chiefs fan has been waiting on for 47 years. Show me a SB appearance, I'll drink the Kool-aid and I think so will the rest of the sheep.

cdcox
11-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Those are all people who will be fans of their team regardless of who the QB is. They are fans of the team, and it is a team sport.

Ironically there are several on the list who came here because of Alex. Which reminds me I left off Tigger.

temper11
11-03-2017, 11:46 PM
RunKC
JakeF
Mav
Easy 6
RobBlake
Ken Bone
penbrook
Best22
GloryDayz
Stevie Ray
Temper11
Cooper Barrett
Marcellus
IowaHawkeyeChief

...just to get started.

I have nothing, and will have nothing, at all against Mahomes. I was happy Chiefs fans finally got "their guy"... if for nothing else, they would quit belly-aching about it. In fact, I have tried to caution people to not put too much expectation on the kid. I have no idea where you would get the idea that I, and frankly many posters on your list, would hold anything at all against Mahomes.

Easy 6
11-03-2017, 11:56 PM
I have nothing, and will have nothing, at all against Mahomes. I was happy Chiefs fans finally got "their guy"... if for nothing else, they would quit belly-aching about it. In fact, I have tried to caution people to not put too much expectation on the kid. I have no idea where you would get the idea that I, and frankly many posters on your list, would hold anything at all against Mahomes.

The only real response to his post is... huh?

temper11
11-04-2017, 12:13 AM
The only real response to his post is... huh?

In fact, I think that's exactly what I said when I read it.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 12:38 AM
RunKC
JakeF
Mav
Easy 6
RobBlake
Ken Bone
penbrook
Best22
GloryDayz
Stevie Ray
Temper11
Cooper Barrett
Marcellus
IowaHawkeyeChief

...just to get started.huh? I dont know where you get your infromation, but you are sadly mistaken

stevieray
11-04-2017, 12:45 AM
I can already see this turning into a True Fans thread.

We are all fans. We all support the team in our own way. It shouldn't matter what that way is. In the end, when the Chiefs finally win the big one, we will enjoy it the same way.

Ok, maybe a few won't be happy but only a few.

I disagree. It womt be the same...honest question, what would your attitude be if you grew up a fan, and then became a player?

Chief Pagan
11-04-2017, 12:48 AM
I love Chiefs fans.

But someday, we will win it all. Its not something that will be easy, but gutwrenching difficult. I can't wait. Oh, and we have a young gunslinger waiting in the wings...

I was alive, but too young to remember the Chiefs super bowl win.

I'm not convinced I will live to see another.

Or maybe I will be physically alive but mentally too far gone to appreciate it.

Chief Pagan
11-04-2017, 12:55 AM
I live in Steeler Country. It's the complete opposite here. They could have their 3rd string QB in due to injury against the patriots and they STILL believe they can win it. The egos of Steeler fans here is astoundingly different.

I expect my Jayhawks to win another championship before the Chiefs do.

11-04-2017, 12:57 AM
I disagree. It womt be the same...honest question, what would your attitude be if you grew up a fan, and then became a player?

Personally? I wouldn't be on social media at all if I were a player. At that point its a job and I'm not worried about public opinion.

I've been following this team since the 70s. When the day comes that they win it all, I won't be thinking about all the let downs. I'll be celebrating the championship just like you. Hopefully in the same place as you. :toast:

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 01:05 AM
Don't get me wrong Alex is much improved. We have offensive weapons and he starting to use them but you can't make stats be everything about his job. That job is to put points on the board (remember; The team with the most points.....)
Do you honestly think that Alex didn't go into protect mode and was afraid to throw the ball in the Raider loss? We scored a FG, in the last minute of the third Qtr. While having possession for over 1/2 of the 4th quarter we played eat the clock and made little effort or took any risk to secure the game. Failure to take risk cost us that game.

Numbers don't mean shit. We have a Red Zone rating for attempts and TD's that ****ing sucks, We just don't get it there...and when we do we only score 1/2 the time... With the highest rated QB in the NFL we ranked 17th in RZ opportunities (avg 3 per game) and 16th for RZ scoring w/ 1.5 per game.
We kick more field goals than all but one team. Thanks to buttkicker.com we complete more FG than any other team. (not something to be proud of)

His QB rating was 77.6 against Denver. with 45.2% 202yards and 1 TD
(88 and 1 TD against Steelers)

The only reason the numbers are still good is because of games where we won by 14 points. When you put up 150, and 140 QBR #s the 70#s seem to fade away.

The defense's job is to manage what the opposing team puts on that board. When the defense does it's job as it did in Pittsburgh then it is Alex to blame.

Couldnt agree more. Our QB has finally let loose.

#1 in yards per attempt And thats good? 55% of passes vs Denver were not caught but YPA increase. It's like leading the league in Punting yards...

#1 in Rating Yep, but when 2 of your games fall into the low 80's... ratings don't score points or win games. His QBR was 127 against Oakland (loss) BS # that agents use for$$$$

#2 in yards yet only scores 2 td's per game avg in the last 3 games Stat does not prove anything positive.

Top 5 or some sh*t in TD's thrown Number 3 but shovel passes? really??? Oh and how many games with one TD (that would be 4) number is BS

0 INT's WTF Alex always is outstanding here, it's also why we lost to Steelers in playoffs.Too conservative.causing loss to steelers game 6, loss to Raiders 7

TyreekHill, Kareem hunt both younger than young..

Defense.. Ok you got me there.

but this is a great season, and our offense is top 5 in the league... loving it, and hope we go all the way, but even the best teams like the 19-0 patriots can fall short..

ANYTHING can happen. lets just hope its our year.

If you look at the big picture how many playoff games do you think we will win? T.hat's what I thought

stevieray
11-04-2017, 01:11 AM
Personally? I wouldn't be on social media at all if I were a player. At that point its a job and I'm not worried about public opinion.

I've been following this team since the 70s. When the day comes that they win it all, I won't be thinking about all the let downs. I'll be celebrating the championship just like you. Hopefully in the same place as you. :toast:

You misunderstood, would you have the same tempered attitude towards the success of the team.

11-04-2017, 01:19 AM
You misunderstood, would you have the same tempered attitude towards the success of the team.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure where you were going with that.

Thats a tough question to answer. I honestly don't know how many players care about the wins vs care about the paycheck. I think you have to go back to the 90s to see players that only cared about the superbowl win. I think more and more are about the paycheck now. Thats not to say they don't want to win it all, its just not as important as it used to be. Its more about stats these days. I do feel that a superbowl championship means more to the fans than it does to most players. (edit - I didn't say all players. Just most.)

Maybe if I had ever had the opportunity to meet some players my opinion may change but based on what I see of them these days, I feel they are more concerned with the paycheck vs the win. The win is just a bonus.

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 01:19 AM

2 of our wins had 1 offensive TD... You call that soundly winning?

We lost the Pittsburgh game because our top ranked #3 in TD's, no ints QB couldn't get more than 1 TD in that game. The defense held them to 19 points but we couldn't get to the red zone, no less score.

Yes the defense sucks but somehow they have kept us in the game... well they tried to give that one Oakland but I blame the loss on no points for 20 minutes.
Alex almost threw a pick and it went downhill from there.

splatbass
11-04-2017, 01:20 AM
Do you honestly think that Alex didn't go into protect mode and was afraid to throw the ball in the Raider loss?

No, I don't. I think Reid's play calling did.

11-04-2017, 01:22 AM
2 of our wins had 1 offensive TD... You call that soundly winning?

We lost the Pittsburgh game because our top ranked #3 in TD's, no ints QB couldn't get more than 1 TD in that game. The defense held them to 19 points but we couldn't get to the red zone, no less score.

Yes the defense sucks but somehow they have kept us in the game... well they tried to give that one Oakland but I blame the loss on no points for 20 minutes.

I place that game on Reid more than any of the players.

splatbass
11-04-2017, 01:29 AM

The defense kept us in the game? Did we watch the same game? :eek:

Here is the thing: over the first 8 weeks of the season we played the toughest schedule in the NFL. And we came out of it 6-2. And you are bitching about success. :facepalm:

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 01:33 AM

Bill Maas; Domestic Violence before the NFL made it popular...Smuck

11-04-2017, 01:36 AM
The defense kept us in the game? Did we watch the same game? :eek:

Here is the thing: over the first 8 weeks of the season we played the toughest schedule in the NFL. And we came out of it 6-2. And you are bitching about success. :facepalm:

Its more the way the last three games panned out. Not that they lost those two but how they lost. The win against Denver looked a lot like the losses in the way they played. Thats why so many are having a hard time right now. If they beat Dallas this week and then go on to steam roll the rest of the schedule the fans opinions will change. That said, they will still be guarded for the playoff game. Nothing is going to change that.

Personally, I had the Dallas game marked as a loss as soon as the schedule came out. Because NFL. I don't see anything to change my mind at this point. doesnt' mean I'm not pulling for them to kick some cowgirl ass and shove it in my face. :)

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 01:43 AM
I have been critical of Alex11 as of late. He ****ed us in the Steeler game and I turned on him like a wife who's hubby gave her an STD!

All of Alex11's numbers don't mean shit if you can't get the ball in to the red zone and score once you are there.

Being a chicken shit QB is what I hoped would no longer be a part of the new and improved Alex but he has proven to me that he will fail when he has to reach deep and pull one out of his ass like all the great QB's have done. We should be 8-0 and I don't think you can blame the D that we are not.

So Go **** yourself for putting me on that list.

RunKC
JakeF
Mav
Easy 6
RobBlake
Ken Bone
penbrook
Best22
GloryDayz
Stevie Ray
Temper11
Cooper Barrett
Marcellus
IowaHawkeyeChief

...just to get started.

Chiefs4TheWin
11-04-2017, 01:48 AM
I expect my Jayhawks to win another championship before the Chiefs do.

Heck I'm a Virginia Tech fan and I like their chances more lol.

temper11
11-04-2017, 04:46 AM
Do you honestly think that Alex didn't go into protect mode and was afraid to throw the ball in the Raider loss? We didn't score, even a FG, for 20 minutes at the end of the game. Failure to take risk cost us that game.

Actually, the Chiefs offense did score a FG right at the end of the 3rd quarter (so 15 minutes and 47 seconds left to play in the game), setup by a beautiful 31 yard bomb to Hill between two defenders along the sideline. The drive before that ended in a deep TD pass to Albert Wilson, that while under thrown, certainly doesn't fit your criteria of failing to take risks.

In the 4th quarter, The Chiefs only had two possessions. The second to last drive for Kansas City (which btw took 6 minutes off the clock), ended with a 1 yard run from spiller, a completed pass to Kelce (who may have gotten close to a first down if he didn't cut back horizontally after the catch), and lastly an incomplete pass due to an untouched Navarro Bowman streaking right through the middle of the line forcing Smith to get rid of the ball early or take a sack.

The next and last passing attempt from Smith would come on the next and last Chiefs possession in which Fisher loses leverage badly - almost immediately - and Smith is forced to eats the sack. Kelsey was knocked off-balance and was stumbling when Fisher loses leverage, and no one else was even remotely open. A forced pass, when none of his receivers are anywhere near being open, and thereby risking an interception, on the Raiders 40 yard line - with 2:40 remaining - isn't being "balsey", it's being stupid. Eat the sack, run another 35 seconds off the clock or make the raiders burn one of their last 2 time outs before you punt. Then make them go the length of the field.

You call that being afraid to throw the ball? I call it being smart not to throw the ball - neither of those last 2 passing attempts had any chance of success.

Chiefs Moon
11-04-2017, 05:48 AM
I want Alex to do well because of the trade value he'll have this upcoming offseason.

Endorsed.

HemiEd
11-04-2017, 07:04 AM
It's more like a mouse that's getting batted around by a cat for 60 minutes, and we're hoping they don't kill us.

ROFL so well put

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Actually, the Chiefs offense did score a FG right at the end of the 3rd quarter (so 15 minutes and 47 seconds left to play in the game), setup by a beautiful 31 yard bomb to Hill between two defenders along the sideline. The drive before that ended in a deep TD pass to Albert Wilson, that while under thrown, certainly doesn't fit your criteria of failing to take risks.

That pass for a touchdown was in the middle of the 3rd qtr. and was a 40 yd pass, a "gift interception" that McGill somehow knocked up in the air and Harris was aware enough to get under. Harris was the only receiver Smith ever looked at and cannot be called anything but a gift. Risktaker Alex? on that play? not really Lucky Alex? Yes

My time of the 3rd quarter FG was incorrect I looked at length of possession as time clock.(there were other typos on site I was referring to.) My apology for the wrong data. The FG was in the last minute of the 3rd as you pointed out.

In the 4th quarter, The Chiefs only had two possessions. The second to last drive for Kansas City (which btw took 6 minutes off the clock), ended with a 1 yard run from spiller, a completed pass to Kelce (who may have gotten close to a first down if he didn't cut back horizontally after the catch), and lastly an incomplete pass due to an untouched Navarro Bowman streaking right through the middle of the line forcing Smith to get rid of the ball early or take a sack. 6 minutes to go 37 yards

The next and last passing attempt from Smith would come on the next and last Chiefs possession in which Fisher loses leverage badly - almost immediately - and Smith is forced to eats the sack. Kelsey was knocked off-balance and was stumbling when Fisher loses leverage, and no one else was even remotely open. A forced pass, when none of his receivers are anywhere near being open, and thereby risking an interception, on the Raiders 40 yard line - with 2:40 remaining - isn't being "balsey", it's being stupid. Eat the sack, run another 35 seconds off the clock or make the raiders burn one of their last 2 time outs before you punt. Then make them go the length of the field.

You call that being afraid to throw the ball? I call it being smart not to throw the ball - neither of those last 2 passing attempts had any chance of success.

in the 4th, Raiders ate about 5 minutes off clock and kicked a FG making it was a one score game. At 11:56 Chiefs took the ball and 6 minutes later after, no plays I would call risky at all, we are forced to punt as we did not get withing FG range. Raiders go 3 and out.On our next possession we were 3 and out. Run, Run, Sack. punt. Oakland next scoring drive was, well, history

No, I do not think that after the Raiders FG in the 4th, that we tried aggressively to score on the next possessions. (even though it was a one score game) we appeared to want to eat clock and the drive resulted in a punt. The following possession looked like textbook Marty ball: Run, run, Blitz in passing situation resulting in another punt..

There was a very nice completion to Hill under coverage to set up the FG in the 3rd. But the offense looked like total crap in the 4th. I certainly don't see us winning playoff games with that caliber of play.

I corrected original post to end of 3rd quarter

Rasputin
11-04-2017, 07:20 AM

It's Carl Peterson's five year plan

RunKC
11-04-2017, 07:59 AM
RunKC
JakeF
Mav
Easy 6
RobBlake
Ken Bone
penbrook
Best22
GloryDayz
Stevie Ray
Temper11
Cooper Barrett
Marcellus
IowaHawkeyeChief

...just to get started.

Maybe 2 people on that list will be pissed when Mahomes takes over.

I even have the kid in my avatar you stupid fuck.

RunKC
11-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Ironically there are several on the list who came here because of Alex. Which reminds me I left off Tigger.

September 2013 sign up date...irony

Red Dawg
11-04-2017, 08:33 AM
This team can't stop the run. Lately they can't run the ball either. That's a bad combination. I wish we had attitude and fire but I don't see it. Chiefs are going out and playing a football game when they should looking for a fight. Smith gets hit late and the OL just watched. How about getting in sombodies face and stop taking it. We are soft in my eyes and soft doesn't win titles. Tough win titles. Maybe it's Andy and Sutton are to nice. Younger guys would be nice. They would be assholes and we need more assholes. 610 guy said the same and he's right.

temper11
11-04-2017, 08:39 AM
in the 4th, Raiders ate about 5 minutes off clock and kicked a FG making it was a one score game. At 11:56 Chiefs took the ball and 6 minutes later after, no plays I would call risky at all, we are forced to punt as we did not get withing FG range. Raiders go 3 and out.On our next possession we were 3 and out. Run, Run, Sack. punt. Oakland next scoring drive was, well, history

No, I do not think that after the Raiders FG in the 4th, that we tried aggressively to score on the next possessions. (even though it was a one score game) we appeared to want to eat clock and the drive resulted in a punt. The following possession looked like textbook Marty ball: Run, run, Blitz in passing situation resulting in another punt..

There was a very nice completion to Hill under coverage to set up the FG in the 3rd. But the offense looked like total crap in the 4th. I certainly don't see us winning playoff games with that caliber of play.

I corrected original post to end of 3rd quarter

Ok, so your issue is with the conservative play calling in the last 2 drives, not Smith specifically? Cause Smith only had 3 attempts in the 4th. One completion, 1 throw away to save a sack, and 1 sack. I think Reid hasn't gotten used to the offense, rather than the defense, needs to close out the game. Even still, i don't think you want risky playcalling there.. maybe more aggressive.. but not risky.

BigRedChief
11-04-2017, 08:52 AM
I agree somewhat with the article. We Chief fans have PTSD from traumatic playoff losses. I will always believe that if Montana doesn't get a concussion in Buffalo, we win the Super Bowl that year. I sat in the middle of an ice storm and watched them fail. Went to Indy and watched them try to run LJ up the middle 30 times and fail. Never modified the game plan. The kicker who shall not be named. And so on and so on.

We cant really enjoy the highs until the fails are balanced in the playoffs. Because, Chiefs.

ptlyon
11-04-2017, 09:03 AM
I agree somewhat with the article. We Chief fans have PTSD from traumatic playoff losses. I will always believe that if Montana doesn't get a concussion in Buffalo, we win the Super Bowl that year. I sat in the middle of an ice storm and watched them fail. Went to Indy and watched them try to run LJ up the middle 30 times and fail. Never modified the game plan. The kicker who shall not be named. And so on and so on.

We cant really enjoy the highs until the fails are balanced in the playoffs. Because, Chiefs.

LOCK IT DOWN

kgrund
11-04-2017, 09:03 AM
The happiest day as a fan will be the day we but an end to "because Chiefs. One trophy is all it takes.

3rd&Long
11-04-2017, 09:08 AM
It's been nearly a half century since the last Chiefs appearance in the Superbowl so is it any wonder that fans remain skeptical on a return visit to the NFL's biggest stage? Like it or not, history reveals the Chiefs cave in the post season and have ever since 1970.

Why has this been the case? Take a number and we'll be right with you.

King_Chief_Fan
11-04-2017, 09:08 AM

we look forward to Mahomes in due time...He isn't ready.

But when he stinks up the place...and there will be games he will, do we wish ill things for him...you know like tear an ACL or worse?

BigRedChief
11-04-2017, 09:18 AM

But when he stinks up the place...and there will be games he will, do we wish ill things for him...you know like tear an ACL or worse?He is going to throw a lot of interceptions too. But, so did Farve.

pugsnotdrugs19
11-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Every QB has bad games and Mahomes will be no different... it's about limiting the bad games, obviously. Of course, you need a lot of good games too. An example...

Alex 2013-2016: A LOT of 'OK' games, a few great games, and a few bad games.
Alex 2017: Mostly great games so far, a couple of bad halves

pugsnotdrugs19
11-04-2017, 09:21 AM
He is going to throw a lot of interceptions too. But, so did Farve.

I have some hope that Mahomes will not throw INTs at the same rate as Favre, mostly because I think Andy will do a better job of setting up his plays for Pat.

Pointer19
11-04-2017, 09:29 AM
I like the article. It’s got me hopeful going into tomorrow as underdogs. I’m not reading the rest of the comments because I want to stay jaded. Go Chiefs.

fan4ever
11-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Reid has had periods of playing it safe in just about every win we've had this year. You just don't notice it because it actually works a majority of the time.

Until we play a playoff caliber team.

Chief Pote
11-04-2017, 09:57 AM
Hard to expect different results when the Chiefs have repeated the same formula for 47 years.

I fixed your post.

RunKC
11-04-2017, 09:58 AM
I have some hope that Mahomes will not throw INTs at the same rate as Favre, mostly because I think Andy will do a better job of setting up his plays for Pat.

Yeah I think Pat learning from Andy and Alex is really going to help in this area. Just going through situations, reading defenses on film and learning to stay in pocket.

Pat is so lucky to get in this situation. Coaching matters in this league and no better example of that is shown than Jared Goff.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 10:03 AM

we already have.

this argument is lame.

we are a playoff team.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 10:04 AM

But when he stinks up the place...and there will be games he will, do we wish ill things for him...you know like tear an ACL or worse?

Mahomes naysayers will prolly get banned

;)

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Ok, so your issue is with the conservative play calling in the last 2 drives, not Smith specifically? Cause Smith only had 3 attempts in the 4th. One completion, 1 throw away to save a sack, and 1 sack. I think Reid hasn't gotten used to the offense, rather than the defense, needs to close out the game. Even still, i don't think you want risky playcalling there.. maybe more aggressive.. but not risky.

From the 18 to Oakland's 45 6 minutes 5 passes, and 5 runs 4-5 if you don't count the pass to Robinson (pressured) total drive 37 yards.

Final drive 2 runs for 6 yds and a sack.

No what I didn't like was the failure to get the ball into FG range putting the game out of reach. play calling may have been conservative but Alex11 was unable to use that clock and get ****ing 3 points on the board.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 10:08 AM
we have played in 3 playoff games in the last 2 years. Alex has played great in 2 of them.

A lie.

He was ass against the Patriots. Missed touchdowns, completed less than half of his passes in the first half.

Huge factor in the loss.

Rasputin
11-04-2017, 10:09 AM

How do you know he isn't ready? Are you at every practice & team meetings?

I don't know if he is ready or not but I bet he is ready to be on the field himself to find out and play balls out.

One he is a backup Quarterback so there for coaches believe he is ready go in if anything unfortunate happens to Alex Smith. I think he can also shine and really open up this offense especially targeting Hill deep. I believe he can handle it every bit as good as Alex Smith has been this year but unfortunately throw some picks but he can learn from those. He didn't throw many pics for Texas Tech Red Raiders.

I believe if Alex Smith wasn't playing that good and we were a 2/6 team they would be starting Patrick Mahomes II.

Alex Smith has stepped it up just to save his job.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 10:12 AM

brother, get a new mantra, this one is completely worn out.

he has already stated he doesn't believe he will be here next season.

Reerun_KC
11-04-2017, 10:16 AM

Probably. CPers wish injuries on players all the time.

Reerun_KC
11-04-2017, 10:17 AM
How do you know he isn't ready? Are you at every practice & team meetings?

I don't know if he is ready or not but I bet he is ready to be on the field himself to find out and play balls out.

One he is a backup Quarterback so there for coaches believe he is ready go in if anything unfortunate happens to Alex Smith. I think he can also shine and really open up this offense especially targeting Hill deep. I believe he can handle it every bit as good as Alex Smith has been this year but unfortunately throw some picks but he can learn from those. He didn't throw many pics for Texas Tech Red Raiders.

I believe if Alex Smith wasn't playing that good and we were a 2/6 team they would be starting Patrick Mahomes II.

He had to step up to avoid being benched AGAIN in his slightly below average career.

CapsLockKey
11-04-2017, 10:27 AM
I fully jumped on the homer hype train when the pick came in for Mahomes. I am just viewing this season as playing with house money. Anything that happens is pure bonus to me so just enjoying the ride. Chiefs have shown they have just as good of chance as anyone and watching Denver and Oakland trend down makes it even sweeter.

When Mahomes takes over in the next year or two and the albatross contacts of guys like Smith and Hali come off the books and they can start filling some holes then I'll be all in, throwing out this franchises history of disappointing me out the window.

WhiteWhale
11-04-2017, 10:39 AM

I mean... they beat the defending champs who are 6-2, and they beat the Eagles who have the best record in the NFL.

I'm not sure what else you want by week 9.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Mellinger's dead on with this article.

The Chief are 6-2, have lost by a total of 8 points this season while beating the Patriots and Eagles, two teams considered to be in the Top 4 of the NFL at this point.

But Chiefsplanet can't enjoy the 6-2 because inevitably, the Chiefs will lose in the playoffs to the Steelers or Patriots (or the story goes), so might as well prepare for that loss by claiming they suck, even after they beat good teams, so that it won't hurt as bad in January.

The same people bitch, whine and complain, whether or not the Chiefs are 2-14 or 12-4.

Some people are just bitches.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 10:55 AM
But Chiefsplanet can't enjoy the 6-2 because inevitably, the Chiefs will lose in the playoffs

Your choice to be a fan of mediocrity.

The rest of us were done with that 20 years ago.

Why the fuck should I force myself to enjoy something that I don't truly enjoy?

I don't fuck fat chicks, I don't like this bullshit either.

kcchiefsus
11-04-2017, 11:06 AM

The Chief are 6-2, have lost by a total of 8 points this season while beating the Patriots and Eagles, two teams considered to be in the Top 4 of the NFL at this point.

But Chiefsplanet can't enjoy the 6-2 because inevitably, the Chiefs will lose in the playoffs to the Steelers or Patriots (or the story goes), so might as well prepare for that loss by claiming they suck, even after they beat good teams, so that it won't hurt as bad in January.

The same people bitch, whine and complain, whether or not the Chiefs are 2-14 or 12-4.

like you. The world would be a better place if you murder/suicide your whole family.

temper11
11-04-2017, 11:07 AM

This

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 11:12 AM
like you. The world would be a better place if you murder/suicide your whole family.

https://i.imgur.com/RG0BS1U.gif

Chief Roundup
11-04-2017, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't doubt that if we were out of playoff contention that Reid might go with the rookie after the bye week.

It has been mentioned by several QBs that Alex has been freed up mentally because of Mahomes. He knows that his time here is all but over and it has allowed him to say "fuck it" when it comes to the stat line that keeps him employed with the Chiefs. That is not to save his job.

Chief Roundup
11-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Reported.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 11:18 AM

It's not a "fan of mediocrity", it's being a fan of the team. Either you are or you aren't.

I am. It's in my blood. That doesn't mean that I don't get frustrated or angry but my fandom just doesn't stop because I don't like what's happening to the franchise, on and/or off the field.

LMAO

This has to be a joke.

Why the fuck should I force myself to enjoy something that I don't truly enjoy?

So, you don't watch Chiefs games now?

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 11:19 AM
So, you don't watch Chiefs games now?

I do.

Doesn't mean I particularly enjoy them.

I'm just treading water until Pat Mahomes gives me a reason to swim.

kcchiefsus
11-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Reported.

Who fucking cares

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 11:22 AM
I do.

Doesn't mean I particularly enjoy them.

I'm just treading water until Pat Mahomes gives me a reason to swim.

So, you're basically just like me in terms of your fandom.

Hey, I almost immediately stated after last January's loss that I would be "done" if the Chiefs didn't so something at QB for the 2017 season. That was reactionary but was truthful as well.

Fortunately, they drafted the guy that I identified as the best QB in the draft and best fit for Andy Reid, so there's hope beyond 2017.

wazu
11-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Defense isn’t the reason for my Chiefs fatalism. I’ve just never seen the Chiefs do well in the playoffs. Can’t comprehend what that would even be like.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Defense isn’t the reason for my Chiefs fatalism. I’ve just never seen the Chiefs do well in the playoffs. Can’t comprehend what that would even be like.

Did you miss the 2015 Texans game?

30-0 wasn't good enough?

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 11:24 AM
So, you're basically just like me in terms of your fandom.

I don't think that's remotely true.

You thought this was a 14-2 team.

kcchiefsus
11-04-2017, 11:26 AM

30-0 wasn't good enough?

Wow, it must be so hard to beat Brian Hoyer in the playoffs.

Dumb mother fucker

DaneMcCloud
I don't think that's remotely true.

You thought this was a 14-2 team.

Just like last year, I thought they'd be 12-4 with a possibility of 14-2.

14-2 is still a possibility but far less likely due to the loss of Eric Berry, Spencer Ware and Chris Conley.

As of today, I think that 12-4 is still most likely.

Chief Roundup
Who fucking cares

We will see how the mods feel about it. I do not think this type of behavior is what we want around here.

fan4ever
11-04-2017, 11:27 AM
I mean... they beat the defending champs who are 6-2, and they beat the Eagles who have the best record in the NFL.

I'm not sure what else you want by week 9.

Do you think we'd beat EITHER of those teams NOW? I don't. In only a few weeks we've become the old us.

wazu
11-04-2017, 11:29 AM

30-0 wasn't good enough?

No.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Do you think we'd beat EITHER of those teams NOW? I don't. In only a few weeks we've become the old us.

It's all about matchups.

The Patriots don't run the ball particularly well and neither does Philly, which is why they traded for Ajayi this week.

The Chiefs have been without their best offensive lineman for weeks and finally saw the return of Mitch Morse and Steven Nelson on Monday.

They're healthier than they've been since the start of Week 2 and if they can remain healthy, should be really good down the stretch, although Sunday remains a yuge challenge.

kcchiefsus
We will see how the mods feel about it. I do not think this type of behavior is what we want around here.

Piss off

DaneMcCloud
No.

You're the exact person Mellinger wrote about.

Marcellus
11-04-2017, 11:31 AM
RunKC
JakeF
Mav
Easy 6
RobBlake
Ken Bone
penbrook
Best22
GloryDayz
Stevie Ray
Temper11
Cooper Barrett
Marcellus
IowaHawkeyeChief

...just to get started.

I dont know who your stupid ass is but you are dumb as ****, that part is obvious.

wazu
11-04-2017, 11:31 AM

You'll get no argument from me.

Marcellus
11-04-2017, 11:34 AM
The article is spot on BTW.

fan4ever
11-04-2017, 11:35 AM
It's all about matchups.

The Patriots don't run the ball particularly well and neither does Philly, which is why they traded for Ajayi this week.

The Chiefs have been without their best offensive lineman for weeks and finally saw the return of Mitch Morse and Steven Nelson on Monday.

They're healthier than they've been since the start of Week 2 and if they can remain healthy, should be really good down the stretch, although Sunday remains a yuge challenge.

Sunday will tell us a lot...for example if Reid has the ability to go for it like against New England or if his rocks retreat back into his fat belly. A lot of the "faltering" I see seems more attitudinal by both he and Smith than anything else...lost that swagger they had early on.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 11:36 AM

No one is particularly impressed with playoff wins over Brian Hoyer.

It was no stepping stone to anything.

splatbass
11-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Probably. CPers wish injuries on players all the time.

The only times I've ever seen are Alex haters wishing Alex got hurt. It is disgusting, and I hope we never have to see anything that low again from "fans".

splatbass
11-04-2017, 11:39 AM

20 years ago you were just a child. And nothing has changed since then.

Chief Roundup
11-04-2017, 11:42 AM
The only times I've ever seen are Alex haters wishing Alex got hurt. It is disgusting, and I hope we never have to see anything that low again from "fans".

You don't recall the Cassel injury wishes and the whole defending done by Eric Winston?

splatbass
11-04-2017, 11:44 AM
You don't recall the Cassel injury wishes and the whole defending done by Eric Winston?

I don't, but I assume it was the same assholes that did it to Alex Smith. An asshole is always an asshole.

11-04-2017, 11:48 AM

We cant really enjoy the highs until the fails are balanced in the playoffs. Because, Chiefs.You and I are on the same page. I'm a little surprised at Stevie questioning me when I'm not alone in my thoughts.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 11:49 AM
20 years ago you were just a child. And nothing has changed since then.

20 years ago I actually got excited about the Chiefs.

My mistake.

Chief Roundup
11-04-2017, 11:50 AM
I don't, but I assume it was the same assholes that did it to Alex Smith. An asshole is always an asshole.

Do you remember this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/20qL_cdiKA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Sunday will tell us a lot...for example if Reid has the ability to go for it like against New England or if his rocks retreat back into his fat belly. A lot of the "faltering" I see seems more attitudinal by both he and Smith than anything else...lost that swagger they had early on.

I disagree.

The weakness of the current Chiefs team is their run defense and this weekend, they're facing one of the best running backs in the league on their home turf.

I have zero expectations that they'll keep Elliott under 200 yards rushing nor do I expect a win this weekend, which I also predicted way back in August (Chiefs 7-2 to start the season with losses at NE and Dallas).

This is a bad matchup for the Chiefs, especially without Eric Berry in run support.

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 11:53 AM

My mistake.

You were excited about the Chiefs 10 years ago, dude.

Come on.

jimidollar
11-04-2017, 11:58 AM

My mistake.

20 years ago was the season when I realized the Chiefs would never win a SB in my lifetime.

BlackOp
11-04-2017, 11:59 AM
I think the officiating during the Oakland game really took everyone out of the SB vibe...it just highlighted how games can be swung to a desired outcome....that and losing in almost identical fashion to the Steelers.

When the AR era beats someone credible in the postseason, people will become interested. As for now, we've seen this story before...great regular season and then the NFL goes with whomever will make them the most money.

Chiefs have never been on the winning side of the officiating....if the Jets/Patriots uniforms were reversed...does anyone really think that TD gets overturned?

Is what it is...and I dont blame the fans for being indifferent. It's just become rinse and repeat...

It's becoming laughable...how obviously transparent the League has become. Take the Elliot situation drama...he's suspended but then the NFL (advertisers) realized they have the national game this week. So he's $uddenly un$u$pended for another week...a ratings-driven shitshow.

RunKC
11-04-2017, 12:02 PM

Come on.

Someone who isn't excited about this team doesn't take several hours to make multiple hype videos. That's happened twice so far this season.

It baffles me that anybody is mad about the QB position right now. The Chiefs drafted an exciting QB who is literally the opposite of Alex Smith in every single way, and yet several people can't enjoy Alex playing like what we expect Mahomes to be.
This offense is the highest scoring in the league and the QB is in the MVP discussion.

It's beaten fan syndrome, and I get it. Pawn nailed it when he described those people as "fans who act like they don't care in an attempt to not get emptionally involved in this team."

That's not you though, Dane. I'm just describing a lot of the board. I really wish more fans had your approach.

Bwana
11-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Who ****ing cares

The mods, douche bag.

fan4ever
I disagree.

The weakness of the current Chiefs team is their run defense and this weekend, they're facing one of the best running backs in the league on their home turf.

I have zero expectations that they'll keep Elliott under 200 yards rushing nor do I expect a win this weekend, which I also predicted way back in August (Chiefs 7-2 to start the season with losses at NE and Dallas).

This is a bad matchup for the Chiefs, especially without Eric Berry in run support.

Absolutely...and the way to counter that is with aggressive and innovative play calling...like they did early in the season...and MAN do they miss Berry. I knew losing him would hurt but way underestimated how much he impacted that defense.

Hammock Parties

Come on.

Indeed. Live and learn.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Someone who isn't excited about this team doesn't take several hours to make multiple hype videos. That's happened twice so far this season.

I don't do that because I'm excited. I do it because I can, and people enjoy the work, and a memorable game is experienced.

No more, no less.

You might recall I never made a video following our "glorious playoff triumph."

Eleazar
11-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Wow, it must be so hard to beat Brian Hoyer in the playoffs.

Dumb mother ****er

It is nice that nobody can say we're on a 25 year playoff losing streak, but really. It was a Brian Hoyer quarterbacked 9-7 team that had the 7th or 8th best record in the AFC, and they backed into the playoffs because Danny Trevathan or whoever it was destroyed Andrew Luck at midseason.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 12:24 PM
It is nice that nobody can say we're on a 25 year playoff losing streak, but really. It was a Brian Hoyer quarterbacked 9-7 team that had the 7th or 8th best record in the AFC, and they backed into the playoffs because Danny Trevathan or whoever it was destroyed Andrew Luck at midseason.

It was the equivalent of beating the 2006 Chiefs in the playoffs. ROFL

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 12:26 PM
With the way we played the last 3 games I doubt we could beat either the Eagles or the Pats.
I would say "We have a right to gripe", I'd hope that we would have beaten the Steelers with our a top ranked offense that averages 29 points a game yet the Steelers shut us down with 13! WTF We have to be able to score at will, at home:shake::shake:.

Given 15 minutes to score 3 points to put a game away either we need to BITCH about Andy's game clock skills or BITCH about Alex11's inability to march the ball down the field and actually score the winning FG vs getting beat by one.

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 12:28 PM

I just remembers Cassel's wifey

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 12:29 PM
With the way we played the last 3 games I doubt we could beat either the Eagles or the Pats.

Again, it's about match ups. The Patriots and Eagles don't run the ball particularly well and the Chiefs defense is very good against the passing game.

The Oakland game was a mirage.

Denver has the best defense in the NFL and the Chiefs still put up 22 points without their starting left guard and #2 WR (Conley) and no Albert Wilson.

At some point, the entire situation needs to be address, not just cherry pick.

RealSNR
11-04-2017, 12:36 PM

I don't fucking like Alex Smith. I never did. I love Patrick Mahomes.

So quit trying to shove Alex's dick down everybody's throats. The more you do, the more people are going to say not very nice things about him.

Marcellus
11-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Its not like we beat Houston by a FG as time expired. It was a 30-0 annihilation.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Its not like we beat Houston by a FG as time expired. It was a 30-0 annihilation.

Yeah no one actually cares about the score. It wasn't a significant victory.

It meant nothing because of the opponent and the following week, where true stripes were revealed.

Valiant
11-04-2017, 01:24 PM
I don't see why the fans are wrong.
Alex is playing amazing. We would of probably had a Superbowl already if he played like that previously. And that is with a worse oline.

We have some key weaknesses that always become huge factors in the playoffs.

We are soft as a team. Both our lines are soft. Even with great matchups that should effectively allow us to score 30 pts a game we fuck it up with play calling.

Every team outside of the 1st round is just going to get physical with us and I have yet to see us adjust or do the same in turn consistently.

Our front 7 should of been a strength. They are average at best and not getting enough pressure with a blitz, which we rarely do.

Lastly Sutton's adjustments. Sigh. This will bite us hard.

We should win our division, but once we face off against the AFC elite again in the playoffs I sadly believe it will be like the last 2 years.

I hope I am wrong, I just don't see it in this team.

BryanBusby
11-04-2017, 01:35 PM
I think the officiating during the Oakland game really took everyone out of the SB vibe...it just highlighted how games can be swung to a desired outcome....that and losing in almost identical fashion to the Steelers.

When the AR era beats someone credible in the postseason, people will become interested. As for now, we've seen this story before...great regular season and then the NFL goes with whomever will make them the most money.

Chiefs have never been on the winning side of the officiating....if the Jets/Patriots uniforms were reversed...does anyone really think that TD gets overturned?

Is what it is...and I dont blame the fans for being indifferent. It's just become rinse and repeat...

It's becoming laughable...how obviously transparent the League has become. Take the Elliot situation drama...he's suspended but then the NFL (advertisers) realized they have the national game this week. So he's $uddenly un$u$pended for another week...a ratings-driven shitshow.
God damn, fuck off already.

Your fucking shtick is as bad as TigerUppercut and you need to be fucking rompered.

BlackOp
11-04-2017, 01:54 PM
God damn, **** off already.

Your ****ing shtick is as bad as TigerUppercut and you need to be ****ing rompered.

So this forum is only for the opinions YOU want to read? Go **** yourself....

BryanBusby
11-04-2017, 02:01 PM
So this forum is only for the opinions YOU want to read? Go **** yourself....
You post the same blathering bullshit in every fucking post and it doesn't even make sense.

You're a fucking moron. Go jump off a cliff.

Titty Meat
11-04-2017, 02:02 PM
After the 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants and 2013 Ravens you really should believe anything can happen if your team makes the playoffs.

BlackOp
11-04-2017, 02:06 PM
You post the same blathering bullshit in every ****ing post and it doesn't even make sense.

You're a ****ing moron. Go jump off a cliff.

I'm not surprised it doesn't make sense to you...

BryanBusby
11-04-2017, 02:07 PM
I'm not surprised it doesn't make sense to you...
Yeah it's total nonsense to someone who isn't a fucking moron. Go the fuck away, forever.

jimidollar
11-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Yeah it's total nonsense to someone who isn't a ****ing moron. Go the **** away, forever.

That's about a 9 on the tension scale.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 02:10 PM
After the 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants and 2013 Ravens you really should believe anything can happen if your team makes the playoffs.

What did all of those teams have in common?

Defense and/or QB showing up big time in the postseason.

GL bro.

BryanBusby
11-04-2017, 02:15 PM
That's about a 9 on the tension scale.
After awhile it gets old seeing that same ol' shit in literally every single thread the dude posts in.

It doesn't even make any fucking sense.

cooper barrett
11-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Again, it's about match ups. The Patriots and Eagles don't run the ball particularly well and the Chiefs defense is very good against the passing game. Pat are outscoring their opponents in rushing TDs Eagles have more yards rushing than us and more yds per game than us....

The Oakland game was a mirage. NO plain and simple, we failed to rally and either score or control the ball in the 4th...poor at both

Denver has the best defense in the NFL and the Chiefs still put up 22 points without their starting left guard and #2 WR (Conley) and no Albert Wilson. We scored 1 TD and 5 FG against their D

At some point, the entire situation needs to be address, not just cherry pick.

well oakland should be fun in rd 2

Titty Meat
11-04-2017, 02:42 PM
What did all of those teams have in common?

Defense and/or QB showing up big time in the postseason.

GL bro.

The Colts defense was horrible that whole 06' season then became good in the playoffs while Manning sucked. The Giants defense wasn't that great either until the playoffs.

BryanBusby
11-04-2017, 02:45 PM
The Colts defense was horrible that whole 06' season then became good in the playoffs while Manning sucked. The Giants defense wasn't that great either until the playoffs.
That Colts D with and without Bob Sanders was very significant, so getting him back for the playoffs was huge.

The Giants had a good deal before the playoffs, outside of that first match up while they were figuring out the Patriots Offense.

Ming the Merciless
11-04-2017, 02:47 PM
Sadly that houston playoff game is the biggest best most important win we have had in 25 years

Winning one wildcard game and then beaten in the regular round

That being the 'best' season in 25 years and for most of your lives except us older guys who were watching 25+ years ago ought to tell you why mellinger is wrong ( if his point is that i should enjoy getting beaten in tbe ayoffs tear after year)and anyone else who says we should take what crumbs we are given and smile and enjoy train wreck after train wreck is a fool.

Some of us have seen this before. If you haven't, and you're actually young / naive enough to think that this season is going to be the one where we take a retread QB and get a ring, I'm jealous of how that must feel.

I'll believe it when we win a couple playoff games this season...until then I'll remain skeptical of this 50 year old failed plan that's best result in 25 years was a single wildcard win

BryanBusby
11-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Fans are always going to be pessimistic as hell until the Chiefs finally figure out how to build a complete team.

The last time they had anything that resembled one they were playing in the AFC Championship.

This squad, while looking good in the standings, isn't a well-rounded squad.

RunKC
11-04-2017, 02:53 PM
It's the same bullshit we've seen for the last 15 years.

Manning, Big Ben or Brady 97% of the time with the outlier being Flacco.

I'm glad that this shit is about to come to an end. We're almost there.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 03:08 PM
It's the same bullshit we've seen for the last 15 years..

It's not "bullshit." Was it bullshit when Elway and Kelly were bogarting all the AFC SB appearances?

O.city
11-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Fans are always going to be pessimistic as hell until the Chiefs finally figure out how to build a complete team.

The last time they had anything that resembled one they were playing in the AFC Championship.

This squad, while looking good in the standings, isn't a well-rounded squad.

I don't know that you can really build a complete team anymore. There's probably always going to be a flaw

BigRedChief
11-04-2017, 04:01 PM
like you. The world would be a better place if you murder/suicide your whole family.dude.....:shake:

BryanBusby
11-04-2017, 04:04 PM
I don't know that you can really build a complete team anymore. There's probably always going to be a flaw
Even well-rounded teams aren't perfect but I felt both teams in the SB last year filled that criteria.

The Chiefs meanwhile either have a low tier Defense, low tier Pffense or full-blown aids.

O.city
11-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Even well-rounded teams aren't perfect but I felt both teams in the SB last year filled that criteria.

The Chiefs meanwhile either have a low tier Defense, low tier Pffense or full-blown aids.

Oh for sure

If they just had an average middle of the pack defense this year, I'd feel a lot better about it

threebag
11-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Oh for sure

If they just had an average middle of the pack defense this year, I'd feel a lot better about it

It will come back. Doesn't have to be perfect all the time just perfect at the right time.

pugsnotdrugs19
11-04-2017, 04:26 PM
It will come back. Doesn't have to be perfect all the time just perfect at the right time.

I for one expect it to statistically come back over the back half of the season... the schedule weakens dramatically in terms of the offenses played in the final 8 games.

11-04-2017, 04:28 PM

No call for this type of post. Ever.

DaFace
11-04-2017, 04:33 PM
No call for this type of post. Ever.

He was banned from the thread long ago fwiw. I really wish that the software would make that kind of stuff public.

Red Dawg
11-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Mellinger nailed it.

BryanBusby
11-04-2017, 05:46 PM
When should we expect that? Been waiting since pre-season 2016 for the run Defense to show up again.

suzzer99
11-04-2017, 06:01 PM
The 95 loss to Indy was on the beginning.
It took me about 5 years to get over that ****ing at the hands of the officials to Denver in the 98 playoffs, then the no punt game to Indy from the 2003 team.

I live in Missouri now. SHOW ME

Mine was the phantom holding call on Dave Szott. Broke my heart in a way that it can never be broken that badly again.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Chiefs fans of a certain age will never fully trust a quarterback after Elvis Grbac, or a kicker after You Know Who, or a playoff lead after Indianapolis.

That’s not necessarily fair for these players on this team, who either weren’t around or virtually without exception had different roles in those past disappointments.

This is total bullshit.

Under Reid we have seen a defense implode and a QB tuck his tail betwixt his legs and go full retard when it counted most.

And both of those things happened multiple times within the past three weeks.

We don't trust this team because of what happened with other Chiefs players decades ago.

We don't trust this team because of them.

To wit, right now I have 99.9% confidence in Buttkicker.

Bullshit line.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 06:04 PM
Mine was the phantom holding call on Dave Szott. Broke my heart in a way that it can never be broken that badly again.

Well at least that was a true Phantom call.

Eric Fisher's was no apparition.

Fuck him and the train he rode in on.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 06:43 PM
.....poor martyrs.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure where you were going with that.

Thats a tough question to answer. .

...you still haven't answered the question.

....you presumed for the players. I am asking if YOU were a player.

11-04-2017, 06:57 PM
...you still haven't answered the question.

....you presumed for the players. I am asking if YOU were a player.I gave you the best answer I could. If it's not good enough for you... Don't know what to tell you.

Why aren't you asking brc the same question?

11-04-2017, 06:58 PM
He was banned from the thread long ago fwiw. I really wish that the software would make that kind of stuff public.Kind of surprised it was only a thread ban.

threebag
11-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Kind of surprised it was only a thread ban.

He gets the "Hate Alex Pass"

stevieray
11-04-2017, 07:26 PM
I gave you the best answer I could. If it's not good enough for you... Don't know what to tell you.

Why aren't you asking brc the same question?

let's try again, and it goes for anyone, not singling you out.

...you grew up a Chiefs fan (martyr) then get drafted to play for them.

Do you:

A) Try your hardest every week to win and strive for a SB.

B) Think it's a lost cause(because Chiefs) and mail it in..(cuz you damn sure aren't going to complain about the lack of success in the playoffs.)

DaneMcCloud
11-04-2017, 07:34 PM
It's really simple:

If you don't enjoy watching a specific team, don't watch that team anymore.

If you don't enjoy watching the NFL, discontinue watching the NFL.

It's not rocket science.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 07:38 PM
...you grew up a Chiefs fan (martyr) then get drafted to play for them.

Do you:

A) Try your hardest every week to win and strive for a SB.

B) Think it's a lost cause(because Chiefs) and mail it in..(cuz you damn sure aren't going to complain about the lack of success in the playoffs.)

As long as I'm the QB we're good.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 07:39 PM
It's really simple:

It's not rocket science.

It's possible to enjoy something and not get excited by it, you know.

There are different levels of enjoyment.

The Chiefs are a nice handjob.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 07:49 PM
It's really simple:

It's not rocket science.

I'm going to find a movie I don't like, with a lead character I don't like, with an ending that's way predictable and watch it once a week through the fall, and then lament over it for the rest of the year.

good times!

:rockon:

Ming the Merciless
11-04-2017, 07:52 PM
It's really simple:

It's not rocket science.

I disagree with this philosophy. You can love a team but dislike a coach, player, style, coordinator etc...even clay loves the chiefs. You can dislike what a team is DOING and still love the team....

Just because you LOVE a team doesn't mean you blindly support every player , personnel , move, etc...

I don't think anyone here..clay...sdh...even the most outspoken anti Alex people...all of them.clearly love the chiefs...

To frame the argument in terms of enjoyment is dishonest in my mind. Perhaps they enjoy things differently than you do...etc..

I dunno...i would think everyone of us loves the chiefs, in our own way...and that can bring disappointment, frustration...etc..which is not enjoyable. But without that...why would anyone even want to support a team?

Sandy Vagina
11-04-2017, 07:52 PM
I'm going to find a movie I don't like, with a lead character I don't like, with an ending that's way predictable and watch it once a week through the fall, and then lament over it for the rest of the year.

good times!

ROFL ... you're slaying them tonight.. well done.

Ming the Merciless
11-04-2017, 07:55 PM

good times!

That's a bad analogy..

It would be more accurate to say you like a certain movie company...who made some.great movies way back when...

And they have made some.piss poor ones.

They're shooting a movie right now, it looks good but it's not done yet.

If it turns out to suck or Just be OK I'll still watch the next one ....beacuse I am a fan of the director , producer or, some of the actors etc

Your way of looking at it is pathetically simplistic

KCTitus
11-04-2017, 07:57 PM
It's really simple:

It's not rocket science.

Ignorant...at the most base level...anyone who is a fan will continue to watch regardless. I watched every fucking game of the Herm Edwards years and could pretty much realize where the franchise was going.

We've seen this play before, and Mellinger is right. It's up to the franchise to change the direction. When KC plays the punk to Pittsburgh on the regular, there's no reason to believe it's going to change come January.

Of course, I could take your tard advice and not watch, but fuck you.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 08:01 PM

good times!

The Chiefs are a very well made film, with great acting, in the dark comedy genre.

Sandy Vagina
11-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Ignorant...at the most base level...anyone who is a fan will continue to watch regardless. I watched every ****ing game of the Herm Edwards years and could pretty much realize where the franchise was going.

We've seen this play before, and Mellinger is right. It's up to the franchise to change the direction. When KC plays the punk to Pittsburgh on the regular, there's no reason to believe it's going to change come January.

Of course, I could take your tard advice and not watch, but **** you.

I like my party concept better.

It's like going to a very long party.. walking through the door miserable and depressed from the start. Remaining miserable.. staying in the corner pouting.. even yelling to others that this party sucks, and **** anyone having a good time...

Instead of just leaving.. or never going to the party.. and finding something better to do with your time.

The beaten downs have to not only GO to this party.. but also yell to anyone that might listen.. that this party sucks.

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 08:06 PM

It's like going to a very long party.. walking through the door miserable and depressed from the start. Remaining miserable.. staying in the corner pouting.. even yelling to others that this party sucks, and **** anyone having a good time...

Instead of just leaving.. or never going to the party.. and finding something better to do with your time.

The beaten downs have to not only GO to this party.. but also yell to anyone that might listen.. that this party sucks.

This is a great party. And I attend every year so I can watch the drunks puke all over themselves.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 08:06 PM
It would be more accurate to say you

...stopped reading.

Sandy Vagina
11-04-2017, 08:07 PM
This is a great party. And I attend every year so I can watch the drunks puke all over themselves.

You just hate the drunks cuz they actually get the girls, enjoy life, and laugh at the loser geek in the corner (yes, you).

Hammock Parties
11-04-2017, 08:10 PM
You just hate the drunks cuz they actually get the girls, enjoy life, and laugh at the loser geek in the corner (yes, you).

The drunks haven't been laid since 1969.

I'm not getting laid, either, but at least I'm not chasing fat, old chicks who can't go deepthroat.

I'm waiting for the really hot, young girl to show up to the party, and then I'm going to make my move.

She digs the long ball.

Ming the Merciless
11-04-2017, 08:10 PM
...stopped reading.

That's because you're a low iq simpleton

stevieray
11-04-2017, 08:12 PM
ROFL ... you're slaying them tonight.. well done.

There are eight games to play. Nobody has a clue who will end up strong in the playoffs.

I'm just mocking the over reaction to anything less than "perfect" football means failure.

Sandy Vagina
The drunks haven't been laid since 1969.

I'm not getting laid, either, but at least I'm not chasing fat, old chicks who can't go deepthroat.

I'm waiting for the really hot, young girl to show up to the party, and then I'm going to make my move.

She digs the long ball.

Shift your hair piece to the right a little, don't breathe in her direction, and adjust that sock in your pants, Claython.

DanT
To me, one of the key differences between the Chiefs, the team I root for because I grew up in Kansas City, and organizations that win playoff games routinely is that the Chiefs tolerate players whose performances become worrisome. The Chiefs seem apt to want to pretend that everything is OK, when it's clear that there's a problem.

When Lin Elliott missed all three FGs he attempted in the 1995 Divisional Round, that was not a shock. Granted, the cold weather made it hard to kick, so that even the Colts' Cory Blanchard missed 2 of his 3 attempts. Blanchard missed from 43 and 49 and made a 30 yard; Elliott missed from 35, 39 and 42 yards.

But even before that game, Elliott was making fans nervous. He had gone into December without missing any of his 24 extra-point attempts. But then he missed 3 of 5 in the first two-weeks, in mild weather in Oakland and in Miami. He also made only one of 4 field goal attempts in those two cities. He came back to KC for the last two regular season games and was perfect on his last 4 extra-point attempts and only missed one of his 5 field goal attempts. So, the Chiefs and we fans all wanted to believe that he was going to be OK. But when a mediocre kickers misses 3 extra-point attempts in 5 attempts, that late in the season, and you have one of the best squads you've fielded in two decades, is that not something that should require prompt attention? Is there nothing the Chiefs could have done then to get another kicker or to at least let Elliott know that he better get his stuff together?

DanT
11-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Similarly, why is Derrick Johnson on this year's team? The fact that he is tells us that the Chiefs are OK with us having another playoff loss early in January. Derrick Johnson is a great player who gave all he had to the Chiefs. That's not disputable. But having a 34 year-old linebacker who ruptured his Achilles in December come back the next year as a starter seems to me to be an exercise in self-deception. It seems obvious that he's lost a step, and good playoff teams typically have a running back that can take advantage of a gimpy linebacker.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 08:13 PM
That's because you're a low iq simpleton

No, it's because^^^^^^^

& don't put words in my mouth.

Sandy Vagina
11-04-2017, 08:14 PM
There are eight games to play. Nobody has a clue who will end up strong in the playoffs.

I'm just mocking the over reaction to anything less than "perfect" football means failure.

As well, you should. The AFC is wide open for the taking. It's hard to imagine this KC defense getting back to being good enough, but I will enjoy each game until the last, and know they have a chance.

Ming the Merciless
11-04-2017, 08:16 PM
No, it's because^^^^^^^

& don't put words in my mouth.

Your analogy is retarded...and a 10 year old could do better

"The chiefs are like a movie..why would you watch the same movie over and over?" Derp

Dude...the actors change , the director changes, the plot changes , the producers change ...its not the same movie...we want better...we are hoping they create a masterpiece

Use some ****ing common sense

KCTitus
11-04-2017, 08:17 PM

I dunno... to me, it's basically fandom and as a fan of many years, this franchise had found innumerable ways of securing defeat. Almost to a comical level when you look at the 2013 playoff loss. I mean it's almost impossible to lose a 28 point lead that late, but yet KC did.

Like several years before, KC starts strong and other teams start to expose their weaknesses and they have no answer. It will only continue through the remainder of this season.

I hope for the best, but realize, they've been exposed and it's only a matter of time.

That doesnt mean I'm going to stop watching, which is just ridiculous.

Can KC get over the hump and beat Pittsburgh? I think that's going to be what it takes to go to the SB.

stevieray
11-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Your

:nosmilie:

Reerun_KC
11-04-2017, 08:19 PM
It's really simple:

It's not rocket science.

Exactly.

I rarely watch any nfl games outside of the chiefs. It’s just hard to have much interest with today’s flag fest football.

I watch the Chiefs with zero expectations. If they win? Yeah! If they lose? Meh!

CP provides much more enjoyment at times than most nfl games including the chiefs. Game day threads and chat are legendary.