PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sports Illustrated: 5 Writers Choose Chiefs as AFC Champs, 2 as Super Bowl Champs

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2017, 11:20 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/08/super-bowl-52-lii-predictions-midseason-nfl-playoffs

Who Will Win Super Bowl LII? Our NFL Midseason Predictions

I included the Chiefs only in this thread

AFC CHAMPION: Patriots (9 votes), Chiefs (5), Steelers (4)

NFC CHAMPION: Eagles (9), Seahawks (4), Rams (2), Vikings (2), Saints (1)

SUPER BOWL LII CHAMPION: Eagles (4), Patriots (4), Steelers (3), Chiefs (2), Rams (2), Vikings (2), Seahawks (1)

ROBERT KLEMKO

If it comes down to these two teams, the matchup to watch would be Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce vs. this Seahawks secondary, and Seattle has been gashed recently by some talented tight ends. I'd bet on Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Bobby Wagner and Richard Sherman to remedy this by season's end. Shut down Kelce, and the Chiefs don't look so tough.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fimages%2Fmidseason-bracket-klemko.jpg&w=800&q=85

TIM ROHAN

The Eagles continue to roll through the NFC, and the Chiefs find their footing in the AFC. The Chiefs are the better all-around team, and Alex Smith outplays Tom Brady again in the AFC Championship, just as he did all the way back in Week 1. That gives us … drum roll, please … the Andy Reid bowl. We get two weeks of pregame hype about Reid and his mentee Doug Pederson, about the glory days of McNabb and Westbrook and Terrell Owens in Philly. Version 2.0 might be better. Smith, Kareem Hunt, and Tyreek Hill lead the Chiefs to the title.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fimages%2Fmidseason-bracket-rohan.jpg&w=800&q=85

ANDREW BRANDT

It has been the year of the Eagles from the start. They have been winning without their best cornerback (Ronald Darby), their most versatile offensive weapon (Darren Sproles), their best linebacker (Jordan Hicks), their best offensive lineman (Jason Peters) and even blew out the Broncos without their best receiving target (Zach Ertz). They have a top 5 defensive line, a top 5 offensive line and a top 5 quarterback. They have beaten teams on subpar offensive days and on subpar defensive days, and have blown teams out when both have clicked. And Doug Pederson has Andy Reid's creativity with a freshness to it that is fun to watch. In one of the more stunning turnarounds in NFL history, they are the team to beat and it doesn't even look particularly close at this point.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fimages%2Fmidseason-bracket-brandt.jpg&w=800&q=85

BEN BASKIN

I almost picked the Patriots simply because I still really don’t want to bet against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. But are they a better team than the Steelers or the Chiefs or the Eagles? No, they are not. So I’m going to go with logic over instinct. Andy Reid has created one of the more dynamic and exciting offenses in the league this year, matched only by Doug Pederson and the Eagles. We would get Reid exorcising old demons and beating the team that fired him. We would get Alex Smith completely rewriting the narrative on his career. We would get Travis Kelce end zone dances and Kareem Hunt doing Kareem Hunt things. This is the fun Super Bowl that the NFL needs to save what has been an incredibly not fun season.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fimages%2Fmidseason-bracket-baskin.jpg&w=800&q=85

JOHN DEPETRO

The NFC Divisional matchup between the Cinderella Los Angles Rams and the 15-1 juggernaut Philadelphia Eagles is the true Super Bowl LII. Goff's Rams edge Wentz's Eagles in an all-time classic. Old-man Drew Brees' last best shot at a title ends in a half-empty Los Angeles Coliseum. The Kansas City Chiefs grind through three tough playoff games, overcoming the Bills, Steelers and the Patriots. Weary from the cold and brutal road to the Minneapolis, the Chiefs fall short and the once-dead Rams franchise wins its first Lombardi trophy since 1999, and Tinseltown is now home to the Oscars and the 2017 Super Bowl Champs.

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fimages%2Fmidseason-bracket-depetro_0.jpg&w=800&q=85

jimidollar
11-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Are they on crack?

The Franchise
11-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Losing to the Rams in the Superbowl? Holy fuck would that suck.

Mephistopheles Janx
11-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Are they on crack?

They obviously believe that the return of Nelson and Hali is going to propel our defense to a whole new level. That will allow the offense to spend more time on the field which, in turn, keeps their offense off the field which means they can't score points.

Duh.

/seriously though... crack for breakfast

raybec 4
11-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Pittsburgh schedule is soft from here on out, they'll probably be the 1 or 2 seed. We can only hope the Chiefs find a way to beat them or no Soup for us.

siberian khatru
11-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Couple of those guys have Chiefs-Raiders meeting in the first round.

Then there's the guy who has the Chargers beating the Chiefs in the first round. Yikes. This place would ... holy shit.

scho63
11-08-2017, 11:27 AM
This is the jinx and the kiss of death.

Easy 6
11-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Buffalo over Pittsburgh

Rams going all the way

KC over Pittsburgh in the divisional round

These guys have clearly been kicked in the head by a horse

ThaVirus
11-08-2017, 11:31 AM
We'll see. There's still a lot of football to be played.

ptlyon
11-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Pittsburgh schedule is soft from here on out, they'll probably be the 1 or 2 seed. We can only hope the Chiefs find a way to beat them or no Soup for us.

What kind of soup?

Hammock Parties
11-08-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm just gonna leave this here.

https://i.imgur.com/yDLg0Qy.jpg

Easy 6
11-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Its pretty shocking to see their enthusiasm for KC, but with the defense in shambles, and the offense regressing... its pretty hard to share it right now

stevieray
11-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Doug and Andy head to head?

...not a bad story line.

ModSocks
11-08-2017, 11:53 AM
They obviously believe that the return of Nelson and Hali is going to propel our defense to a whole new level. That will allow the offense to spend more time on the field which, in turn, keeps their offense off the field which means they can't score points.

Duh.

/seriously though... crack for breakfast

Or maybe they aren't overly emotional, finicky fans that react week to week.

The Chiefs are a playoff team that have already proven they can beat the best.

Just because fans have discovered they aren't bulletproof and they have holes doesn't mean they're not capable of winning.

Get to the playoffs and anything can happen. Aside from the Steelers there's no one there that the chiefs haven't already beaten.

stevieray
11-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Just because fans have discovered they aren't bulletproof and they have holes doesn't mean they're not capable of winning.

Get to the playoffs and anything can happen. Aside from the Steelers there's no one there that the chiefs haven't already beaten.

Exactly.

It's still a very good football team. And Pittsburg literally squeaked by in the last two wins.

ptlyon
11-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Get to the playoffs and anything can happen.

Yeah, like missing 3 field goals.

ModSocks
11-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Exactly.

It's still a very good football team. And Pittsburg literally squeaked by in the last two wins.

Yeah but i read on Chiefsplanet that the Chiefs aren't capable of beating the Patriots... :rolleyes:

T-post Tom
11-08-2017, 12:00 PM
What kind of soup?

Mulligatawny

Hammock Parties
11-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Yeah but i read on Chiefsplanet that the Chiefs aren't capable of beating the Patriots... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure we are anymore.

New England's defense hasn't allowed more than 17 points in a month.

During that time frame our offense has fallen off dramatically and if the Chiefs played the Pats again, I'd bet against Brady going 16 for 36.

ModSocks
11-08-2017, 12:05 PM

During that time frame our offense has fallen off dramatically and if the Chiefs played the Pats again, I'd bet against Brady going 16 for 36.

You also didn't think they'd win in week 1 either. Hell, none of us did.

As you noted, things shift quickly in the NFL. We're two months away. Being so low in a 4 game stretch after being so high on a 5 game stretch....with an easy schedule coming up. Seems fruitless to worry about right now.

To say they can or can't do something is silly. They've given you proof of ability and inability. All we can do is wait and see which Chiefs team shows up, and hope that the GOOD Chiefs show up in the playoffs.

Reerun_KC
11-08-2017, 12:11 PM

As you noted, things shift quickly in the NFL. We're two months away. Being so low in a 4 game stretch after being so high on a 5 game stretch....with an easy schedule coming up. Seems fruitless to worry about right now.

To say they can or can't do something is silly. They've given you proof of ability and inability. All we can do is wait and see which Chiefs team shows up, and hope that the GOOD Chiefs show up in the playoffs.

Just need hope and a little noise.

carcosa
11-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Fun!

ThaVirus
11-08-2017, 12:25 PM

True enough.

We won the first quarter. The Eagles have won the first half.. who knows who'll be hot and not come January.

All I know is that we're 6-3 after facing one of the tougher schedules thus far in the season and set up QUITE nicely to win this division and get at least one home playoff game, likely against a team like the Titans, Chargers or Ravens. From that point anything can happen.

Best22
11-08-2017, 12:42 PM
It's whatever. Get in the playoffs, you never know what happens. Maybe our offense gets hot. Maybe we find a run game again. Maybe our defense finds a style that works for them (similar to 2011 NYG defense)

I don't expect a Superbowl. I don't believe we have those ingredients

But I'll appreciate a division title and a possible Superbowl run. Never know. Nobody has to look great in week 9

Chief_For_Life58
11-08-2017, 12:48 PM
these guys are high on crack lol

Eleazar
11-08-2017, 12:50 PM
It's whatever. Get in the playoffs, you never know what happens. Maybe our offense gets hot. Maybe we find a run game again. Maybe our defense finds a style that works for them (similar to 2011 NYG defense)

But I'll appreciate a division title and a possible Superbowl run. Never know. Nobody has to look great in week 9

You think this defense can stop any playoff team's offense?

stevieray
11-08-2017, 12:51 PM
True enough.

We won the first quarter. The Eagles have won the first half.. who knows who'll be hot and not come January.

All I know is that we're 6-3 after facing one of the tougher schedules thus far in the season and set up QUITE nicely to win this division and get at least one home playoff game, likely against a team like the Titans, Chargers or Ravens. From that point anything can happen.

...and we've done it not even at full strength..like good teams do.

RunKC
11-08-2017, 12:52 PM
I don't give this team any chance if they have to have both road games in PIT and NE.

stevieray
11-08-2017, 12:52 PM

..there isn't ANY guarantee that any playoff team will play well.

stevieray
11-08-2017, 12:53 PM
I don't give this team any chance if they have to have both road games in PIT and NE.

bummer

Ragged Robin
11-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Yep. Not sure how a lot of people here epic rage and then declare the sky is falling after the Chiefs lose in typical Chiefs fashion, they should be used to it by now. In the off season, I think most people expected to have around 3 losses at this point anyway. I'd love to see the team finish the regular season with one of the best records and a puncher's chance in the playoffs. If they win some games in the post season, great. If they lose at some point--which they probably will--whatever, seen it before.

Reerun_KC
11-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Good news. I already have my airlines and hotels booked just in case.

ClevelandBronco
11-08-2017, 12:58 PM
What does Golf Digest have to say?

New World Order
11-08-2017, 01:15 PM
We have the worst defense in the NFL.

fan4ever
11-08-2017, 01:16 PM
I think this simply shows the opioid epidemic is full scale.

Best22
11-08-2017, 01:19 PM

Go back and watch the 2011 Saints-Giants game or 2011 Seahawks-Giants, or how about 2011 Dolphins-Giants

Then try to figure out which of those 4 teams won the Superbowl...

stevieray
11-08-2017, 01:19 PM
I think this simply shows the opioid epidemic is full scale.

LMAO

Red Dawg
11-08-2017, 01:51 PM
We dont have the attitude nor the players to even make it to the SB. Its a pipe dream.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Andy Reid may be a shitty game manager, but I have faith that he won't continue to have a team that fails this badly at executing. His teams usually end strong. I think the offense came back to reality but will still wind up better than last year. I think the defense will click toward the end of the season. Just feel like a lot of our problems on D are more fixable than we think. I don't have confidence in our D against power offenses like Pittsburgh but our change in approach against Dallas at least shows we are trying something to address it. If we stay mostly healthy I think our offense will be better than last year and while our defense will be down, I think it'll be better than the crippled unit we sent to the playoffs.

BigRedChief
11-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Losing to the Rams in the Superbowl? Holy fuck would that suck.that cant happen. No way. We can't get that close to football nirvana and lose to the fucking Rams? :shake:

KChiefs1
11-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Was this a satirical column?

Graystoke
11-08-2017, 02:50 PM
To the Ship?

19now11
11-08-2017, 02:57 PM

thats why you play the games you idiot

DaFace
11-08-2017, 03:18 PM
I can't figure out why no one around here can wrap their mind around the fact that the back half of the schedule is super easy for us compared to the front half. The Chiefs need to get their asses in gear, for sure, but losses to the Cowboys, Steelers, and Raiders are hardly a reason to panic.

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2017, 03:24 PM
I can't figure out why no one around here can wrap their mind around the fact that the back half of the schedule is super easy for us compared to the front half. The Chiefs need to get their asses in gear, for sure, but losses to the Cowboys, Steelers, and Raiders are hardly a reason to panic.

It's because most CP members only watch Chiefs games (and there are several that don't even bother watching yet make 10,000 comments a year on why the suck).

I'm not stating that these prediction are absolutely correct but the fact of the matter is that the people making these predictions are professional writers whose job is it to watch every game and cover every aspect of the NFL.

The Chiefs have had a bad stretch, going 1-3 (which could easily have been 2-2 if the refs didn't give the game to the Raiders) but they're also getting healthier with the return of Morse and LDT, with Wilson and Ford hopefully set to return soon.

Seeing the Chiefs finish up 7-0 or 6-1 would be far less surprising than seeing them finish 3-4, especially given their favorable schedule after the Bye.

ROYC75
11-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Doug and Andy head to head?

...not a bad story line.

This would have been GREAT had we laid an egg vs Pit and Oak!

FloridaMan88
11-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Chiefs-Rams, the I-70 + I-15 Super Bowl.

bricks
11-08-2017, 04:25 PM
If I was high on crack, I still wouldn't pick the Chiefs to win either the AFC or SB. These guys really don't know about the Chiefs.

And jinxes aside, I don't believe in that sh*t. We will lose not because of SI jinx or
Curse, **** that sh*t. We will lose because we are just not good enough. Plain and simple. It's just the same as it ever was. Probably will be the same for a long time? Most people know this team isn't a SB contender; at least most of the educated folks on this
board do. And when we do lose, I definately won't be one of those people that point the finger at SI cursing at them or yelling; nope none of that because I understand this team isn't good enough. Same as it ever was.

HemiEd
11-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Was this a satirical column?

It has to be

Eleazar
11-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Signature updated as of today

Ming the Merciless
11-08-2017, 05:59 PM
kc-eagles would be so crazy

Ming the Merciless
11-08-2017, 06:01 PM

i dont think its 'panic' to remain skeptical the chiefs can beat great teams in the playoffs

i agree that our schedule is much easier from here on out

but that doesnt even necessarily translate to playoff wins

New World Order
11-08-2017, 06:03 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KnEaKn_D6RU/UpT_-t35CZI/AAAAAAAACyE/s02cJqfeF34/s1600/rick+james.jpg

DaneMcCloud
11-08-2017, 06:07 PM
The best chance the Chiefs have of making the Super Bowl is to avoid injuries, especially season ending injuries, to their starters.

Does anyone think that the Steelers would be in the Super Bowl conversation if they lost an All Pro defensive player, their #2 Wide Receiver, their #1 running back for the season, along with their two best offensive lineman for more than 5 weeks?

The Chiefs have overcome a myriad of injuries and are still in this thing.

Tribal Warfare
11-08-2017, 06:43 PM
This is the jinx and the kiss of death.

foresight, let the Mahomes era begin!

ModSocks
11-08-2017, 07:10 PM
kc-eagles would be so crazy

Well, we've seen it already this season. Wasn't very crazy.

TribalElder
11-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Some show the raiders in the playoffs

I guess that could still happen since we are on a bedshitting rampage lately

TLO
11-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Some show the raiders in the playoffs

I guess that could still happen since we are on a bedshitting rampage lately

I'd say there is about a 0.0000000000001% chance of the Raiders making the playoffs.

crayzkirk
11-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Scotty, beam me up. There is no intelligent life on this planet...

Chiefs... I am sad that I am giving up on them. Play a standard 2 deep zone and the Chiefs fall apart.

Maybe next year. I just don't see them being able to beat a physical team. At home or on the road. They just seem soft and gimmicky.

I am hoping for good weather on Sundays so I can golf...

Best22
11-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Scotty, beam me up. There is no intelligent life on this planet...

Chiefs... I am sad that I am giving up on them. Play a standard 2 deep zone and the Chiefs fall apart.

Maybe next year. I just don't see them being able to beat a physical team. At home or on the road. They just seem soft and gimmicky.

I am hoping for good weather on Sundays so I can golf...

When we don't win up front we sometimes resort to gimmicks.

Even when we were pushing the opponent around Reid used the gimmicks too often. Overall the first 5 games showed what KC would look like if they had a competent line. It was beautiful

Guess we will have to pick ourselves up and see where this all goes

FlaChief58
11-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Drugs are bad, Mkay

FlaChief58
11-08-2017, 08:25 PM
If I was high on crack, I still wouldn't pick the Chiefs to win either the AFC or SB. These guys really don't know about the Chiefs.

And jinxes aside, I don't believe in that sh*t. We will lose not because of SI jinx or
Curse, **** that sh*t. We will lose because we are just not good enough. Plain and simple. It's just the same as it ever was. Probably will be the same for a long time? Most people know this team isn't a SB contender; at least most of the educated folks on this
board do. And when we do lose, I definately won't be one of those people that point the finger at SI cursing at them or yelling; nope none of that because I understand this team isn't good enough. Same as it ever was.

Yep, I was negged for creating the game day thread too early.Not that I give a shit, but blaming me for the shit the Chiefs did on the field against the cowgirls is foolish. They just aren't SB quality and that is the only reason they can't win it all

notorious
11-08-2017, 08:55 PM
https://media.tenor.co/images/79003040b740c5a11c38b46936a520f3/raw

Reerun_KC
11-08-2017, 09:02 PM
https://media.tenor.co/images/79003040b740c5a11c38b46936a520f3/raw

Stealing that!

TEX
11-09-2017, 08:19 AM
No way KC gets put of the 1st round with their _efense as bad as it is.

cooper barrett
11-09-2017, 09:22 AM
We will never be "that team" that beat NE in game 1 but we have a good team who will be capable of doing great things as the season comes to an end.

If we get used to scoring 35 points a game from our offense, which is doable if (****it's that Yuge "if") the offense uses the opportunities the upgraded defense gives them and the D reduces PPG scored against us

If we get scoring against us from less than 24 vs 20 last year and,, even on a bad day score 28 we are going to dance. Failure to do so: Not so much.

But you just don't start becoming a scoring team when other teams are scoring against you. You have to be a scoring team all the time.

Will we make that happen? WTFK

Dartgod
11-09-2017, 01:22 PM
If I was high on crack...

IF? ROFL

bricks
11-09-2017, 01:50 PM
IF? ROFL

Ye Ye

**** you :D

Hydrae
11-09-2017, 02:00 PM
I will just mention that every last one of those predictions have the Chiefs as either the #2 or #3 seed. Basically there is every expectation that we will win the division. :)

RobBlake
11-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Bump

Rain Man
11-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Things are looking good!

Mephistopheles Janx
11-27-2017, 03:59 PM

Exactly.

I'm sorry guys. I'm obviously a shitty fan.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL