PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs You're Matt Nagy in 2018: HC gig with a shit team? Or stay OC w/ Mahomes?

Dante84
11-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Money talks. On paper, it's easy. Go be a head coach of the Colts, and try like hell to rebuild around what's left of Andrew Luck. Probably fail and be fired after 3-4 years.

As for Job Security, the Chiefs gig with Mahomes looks bright. And Nagy has a hard on for him. Read his thoughts in this article (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article183551451.html). Nagy will no doubt get a raise/title promotion if he doesn't leave for a HC job.

Is the decision really that simple? Take the HC millions for a bit and then chill?

The Franchise
11-09-2017, 10:02 AM
I stick around and work with Mahomes for a year.

Rausch
11-09-2017, 10:06 AM

This.

pugsnotdrugs19
11-09-2017, 10:07 AM
It all depends what Reid has left in the tank. If Nagy thinks Andy's going to keep plugging away for the next decade, then you leave. If he thinks Andy is going to stay for another 4-5 years, you have to consider waiting it out...

But to be honest, each situation is unique to each person. Family matters come into play.

Reerun_KC
11-09-2017, 10:09 AM
It all depends what Reid has left in the tank. If Nagy thinks Andy's going to keep plugging away for the next decade, then you leave. If he thinks Andy is going to stay for another 4-5 years, you have to consider waiting it out...

But to be honest, each situation is unique to each person. Family matters come into play.

Anyone know how much Reid has left in his tank?

Buehler445
11-09-2017, 10:09 AM
It's all in his head. Some guys are not built to work for someone else. Some guys are.

Personally I'll take Dick LeBeau over Chip Kelly type careers.

I mean we can do the math on a reduced salary for a longer period of time vs a high salary for (most likely) a very short period of time, but it comes down to what's in these guys' head.

Chiefnj2
11-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Head coach with Luck. 100% of the time.

DJ's left nut
11-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Take the HC gig; fortunes change far too fast in this league.

A month ago Nagy was running a high-flying offense that seemed unstoppable and was seemingly a shoe-in to get looks at some high profile gigs. 4 games later, he may not get an interview at all if this offense doesn't get looking healthy again in a hurry.

If you get a shot at the big chair, you take it. Period. The pay raise and 4 year contract alone is enough for a lifetime of financial security and if you get canned, you go back to being an OC somewhere. If you're good enough, you may even get another look someday but you'll still keep checks rolling in. That 'former HC' label will get you a lot more leeway as a coordinator in the 'good ol boy' NFL. You put 'HC' on your resume and you'll get coordinator offers the rest of your life.

You take the HC job and don't think twice, IMO.

Stinger
11-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Got to grab the brass ring. Any chance to be an NFL Head Coach you take it, Especially with Luck as your QB.

Discuss Thrower
11-09-2017, 10:22 AM
You take the money and run.

CoMoChief
11-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Depends on what he wants to do personally. Whats best for family etc.

Sometimes people dont want the responsibility that comes with being a hc.

Obvs thats the highest position in their field and it pays the most, but theres a lot of responsibility that comes with that. Most would prob take the hc offer.

I dont know if Mahomes really plays a factor into that decision either way though.

TLO
11-09-2017, 10:29 AM
I take the head coaching job, unless it's the Browns.

Because they are the Browns

CoMoChief
11-09-2017, 10:35 AM
I take the head coaching job, unless it's the Browns.

Because they are the Browns

Lol

This

Danguardace
11-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Unless Chiefs get back to winning ways is his Stock going to be that high? Offense is starting to look like garbage again

RealSNR
11-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Anyone know how much Reid has left in his tank?

Depends. How many times did he eat at Jack's Stack this week?

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Unless Chiefs get back to winning ways is his Stock going to be that high? Offense is starting to look like garbage again

Funny how losing your starting center, $40 million dollar right guard, #2 and #3 receivers will do that to an offense, not to mention your #2 (really #3) running back for a few weeks.

Odd.

Dante84
11-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Funny how losing your starting center, $40 million dollar right guard, #2 and #3 receivers will do that to an offense, not to mention your #2 (really #3) running back for a few weeks.

Odd.

Not to mention your dipshit TE "2" dropping clutch passes every time he gets a chance.

bevischief
11-09-2017, 11:26 AM
With all the stupidity going on...Guaranteed money.

Dave Lane
11-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Head coach with Luck. 100% of the time.

Yep. Be one of only 32 guys in the world? Unless you are a complete coward you go that way every time.

cooper barrett
11-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Where do head coaches go to after Indy?

Caldwell QB coach Ravens Now HC Lions
Dungy NBC
Mora NFL Network

I guess someone will hire you after the Colts...

How does something like this go one behind closed doors in the NFL? Do Clark, Andy and Matt have a little "advise" meeting? I know If Carl were here, I would take the Colts job, without hesitation. With the HC reporting directly to Clark, it's much different.

I always suggest that someone talk to their boss before taking a job with someone else but wouldn't know how to do that in an NFL team situation. I think that Clark and Andy should instigate that conversation with Nagy after Irsay/ Colts raided the ranks earlier this year. The Ballard/ Nagy connection could make Nagy look past Irsay and take the chance of being a Pagano when his time comes..Like where does Pagano land after the Colts?

What fruit that meeting might bring is hard to say but something tells me that they would not blow smoke up his ass, unlike Peterson, if their plan is to grow him the Chief's HC.

Who knows? I would say if the Chiefs have taken care of him in the past and the light at the end of the tunnel is not perceived as a headlight, then he will opt to stay.

Danguardace
11-09-2017, 12:28 PM

Odd.

Well for his sake lets hope that is taken into account

GloucesterChief
11-09-2017, 12:48 PM
I think college is probably a better gig than NFL as far as HC goes.

Ming the Merciless
11-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Money talks as long as its legacy type coin and someone he thinks he can work with for a few years....IMO

19now11
11-09-2017, 01:12 PM
id get the fuck out of dodge before cp forces as11 out of town. when mohawed kermit the frog gets in there and starts hopping around heads are going to roll due to letting a top 5 winning qb leave. id want to be nowhere near that waggon when the wheels come flying off.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2017, 01:23 PM
With the way the NFL is shaping up regarding ratings, along with a what will likely be a lengthy battle between the NFLPA and the NFL owners when the current CBA expires after the 2021 season, Nagy would be a fool to pass up $4 million plus to become an NFL head coach.

Take the money and run.

CasselGotPeedOn
11-09-2017, 01:24 PM
id get the **** out of dodge before cp forces as11 out of town. when mohawed kermit the frog gets in there and starts hopping around heads are going to roll due to letting a top 5 winning qb leave. id want to be nowhere near that waggon when the wheels come flying off.

This is an awful troll account.

bricks
11-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Money talks. On paper, it's easy. Go be a head coach of the Colts, and try like hell to rebuild around what's left of Andrew Luck. Probably fail and be fired after 3-4 years.

As for Job Security, the Chiefs gig with Mahomes looks bright. And Nagy has a hard on for him. Read his thoughts in this article (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article183551451.html). Nagy will no doubt get a raise/title promotion if he doesn't leave for a HC job.

Is the decision really that simple? Take the HC millions for a bit and then chill?

The decision is very easy actually.

He should take a HC gig on a sh*t that has a ton of potential to be good, (not sure about the Colts though) but a team that has the right ownership in place with good management and scouting. That's definately not the Chiefs. He won't establish much in Kansas City because he'll just be a puppet under Reid and plus he'll never win anything there. I think he is better off to gtfo and try to establish his own legacy elsewhere.

bricks
11-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Besides, most coaches want to work their way up. If I was in a situation where I'm either an OC or DC, you sure bet I wanna be a head coach. And if I was a head coach, you damn bet I wanna be both the GM and head coach. Why? More money, more power and more control!

BigRedChief
11-09-2017, 01:51 PM
With the last coaches success in Philly, I'd say the Andy tree is hot in the NFL. Everyone lauding the unique offensive schemes etc. He'll get a head coach job offer.

RealSNR
11-09-2017, 02:10 PM
This is an awful troll account.

DadLeft4Cigarettes > 19now11

Chiefshrink
11-09-2017, 02:12 PM

Odd.

Funny, the Steeler defense beat the starting center and then the future 40 million$$ guard along with Wilson,Conley and West last year.

You give waaaaaay too much "talent credit" to our o-line and WRs. I don't see a talented o-line and outside of TH and Robinson, I don't see talented WRs.

Buehler445
11-09-2017, 02:26 PM
I think college is probably a better gig than NFL as far as HC goes.

Ugh. 2-4 year turnover, constant recruiting, catering to moron kids, getting fired because you aren't Saban.

I mean, yeah, some college jobs are more posh, but if you're a football school and under some pressure, man...that's a tough ask.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Funny, the Steeler defense beat the starting center and then the future 40 million$$ guard along with Wilson,Conley and West last year.

You give waaaaaay too much "talent credit" to our o-line and WRs. I don't see a talented o-line and outside of TH and Robinson, I don't see talented WRs.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPqqHuaVVc0s67gAEk2NzoYxbK72-mH-NonYyjiWhOSCoVQJpw7w

jaa1025
11-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Really depends on the situation for the potential HC position. If it's a good ownership situation then take the gig. If it's for a team like Cleveland then don't take the gig.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Really depends on the situation for the potential HC position. If it's a good ownership situation then take the gig. If it's for a team like Cleveland then don't take the gig.

I'd definitely take the gig if was Cleveland, as long as there weren't any offsets in the contract.

Think about it: Either he'd be paid for at least 4 years, whether or not you were fired, or you could be the savior of the franchise.

Most likely, you're looking at 2 years on the job, being fired in yet another front office/coaching staff shakeup, get paid for 4 years, while no other NFL team would view you in an unfavorable light because it's Cleveland.

Easy 6
11-09-2017, 03:51 PM

One year at a MINIMUM... wanna look like a genius OC? just let Pat Mahomes pad your resume for you

cooper barrett
11-09-2017, 06:00 PM
I'd bet serious cash that Andy will retire or turn over the reins when Mahomes wins a super bowl.

Alex11? Nope.

KChiefs1
11-09-2017, 06:18 PM
You can't pass up a HC job.

GloucesterChief
11-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Ugh. 2-4 year turnover, constant recruiting, catering to moron kids, getting fired because you aren't Saban.

I mean, yeah, some college jobs are more posh, but if you're a football school and under some pressure, man...that's a tough ask.

You don't have to reinvent the wheel every off season due to the aforementioned churn for your squad and your opponents. There are times when no recruiting is going on. Boosters can be annoying but would they be as annoying as say Irsay, Drunk Elway, or Jerry Jones?

Chief Roundup
11-09-2017, 09:50 PM
It is not just as black and white as you take any HC gig that comes along. It
would have to be the right fit. If you don't believe in the structure or the way the franchise has been being operated and you don't have complete confidence in the GM as well as being on the same page as to a winning formula for a football team then a person should pass.
If you are looking for a "way out" of your current circumstance then that changes things as well.
You don't just take a HC position to take one.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Wrong.

This isn’t the 70’s.

If a team offers a DC or OC 4 to 10 times their current salary, it would be utterly and prolificly stupid to refuse that job, regardless of the team, owner or GM.

Hoover
11-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Nagy is not getting the Colts job.

Buehler445
11-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Nagy is not getting the Colts job.

I hope to everything fucking holy they get Jeff Fisher.

RealSNR
11-10-2017, 04:39 AM
It is not just as black and white as you take any HC gig that comes along. It
would have to be the right fit. If you don't believe in the structure or the way the franchise has been being operated and you don't have complete confidence in the GM as well as being on the same page as to a winning formula for a football team then a person should pass.
If you are looking for a "way out" of your current circumstance then that changes things as well.

So Sean McVay shouldn't have taken the Rams job? What the fuck else was going to open up for him? He should have waited another 2-3 years for the goddamn Patriots to give him a call?

Danguardace
11-10-2017, 05:13 AM
You can't pass up a HC job.

Haven't the Pats Co-oridinators?

Wade Phillips too?

Coogs
11-10-2017, 05:30 AM
Package a deal with the Browns. A 1st and a 2nd and Smith will come with Nagy. Gives Smith a place where he doesn't have to learn a new playbook, and the Browns a 4 or 5 year window to draft his replacement.

milkman
11-11-2017, 07:19 AM
It's all in his head. Some guys are not built to work for someone else. Some guys are.

Personally I'll take Dick LeBeau over Chip Kelly type careers.

I mean we can do the math on a reduced salary for a longer period of time vs a high salary for (most likely) a very short period of time, but it comes down to what's in these guys' head.

Dick LeBeau took his shot in the big chair.

The Franchise
11-18-2017, 02:37 PM
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Chiefs OC Matt Nagy will be high, if not first, on Colts GM Chris Ballard's list of head-coaching candidates if Indianapolis moves on from Chuck Pagano.
Nagy, 39, was promoted to full-time OC this season after sharing duties with Brad Childress last season. Nagy doesn't call plays, but neither did Doug Pederson under coach Andy Reid before Pederson landed the Eagles job. Ballard was Director of Football Operations for the Chiefs before joining the Colts, and Chiefs STs coordinator Dave Toub is likely also on the list of candidates. Nagy is a name on the rise.
Related: Colts

ROYC75
11-18-2017, 02:41 PM

A month ago Nagy was running a high-flying offense that seemed unstoppable and was seemingly a shoe-in to get looks at some high profile gigs. 4 games later, he may not get an interview at all if this offense doesn't get looking healthy again in a hurry.

If you get a shot at the big chair, you take it. Period. The pay raise and 4 year contract alone is enough for a lifetime of financial security and if you get canned, you go back to being an OC somewhere. If you're good enough, you may even get another look someday but you'll still keep checks rolling in. That 'former HC' label will get you a lot more leeway as a coordinator in the 'good ol boy' NFL. You put 'HC' on your resume and you'll get coordinator offers the rest of your life.

How much of this 4 game debacle is Andy and his Big Ole Brain Fart?

WhiteWhale
11-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Depends.

Most coaches take the first job offer they get. I mean the VAST majority of them.

Some guys go the Sean Payton route. I think he was offered 3 or 4 jobs before he ended up going to NO.

Don't hold your breath.

WhiteWhale
11-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Dick LeBeau took his shot in the big chair.

Yeah, and it's a shining example of why some jobs aren't really much of a career opportunity.

It's like having the 'opportunity' to coach the Cleveland browns. It's like digging the hole for your career's grave.

RealSNR
11-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Yeah, and it's a shining example of why some jobs aren't really much of a career opportunity.

It's like having the 'opportunity' to coach the Cleveland browns. It's like digging the hole for your career's grave.

Rod Marinelli coached the infamous 0-16 Lions. Possibly the worst head coaching job the league has ever seen.

He's gotten jobs as an NFL defensive coordinator ever since. He still has one for a very good team in contention for the Super Bowl (Dallas).

Failing to coach the Cleveland Browns doesn't mean your career is done. It means you failed as a head coach. That's it. If you failed, what are the odds you would have lasted all that much longer with another team considering the horrible average lifespan of NFL head coaching jobs?

milkman
11-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Which has no bearing on the point I was making.

RealSNR
11-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Let's take a coach on the verge of being fired like Ben McAdoo. Do you think things would be going any differently for him if he coached the Miami Dolphins? Tampa Bay? San Diego? Or any other franchise that hires-and-fires on a 2-3 year rotation?

If you were never going to make it as a coach unless you got a dream 1st year coach job like Bill O'Brien had in Houston, does it matter if you coach the Cleveland Browns instead of holding out for that illustrious and glorious stint for the Tennessee Titans or Minnesota Vikings, both of which will get you fired in under 5 years as well?

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-18-2017, 06:33 PM
I'd definitely take the gig if was Cleveland, as long as there weren't any offsets in the contract.

Think about it: Either he'd be paid for at least 4 years, whether or not you were fired, or you could be the savior of the franchise.

Most likely, you're looking at 2 years on the job, being fired in yet another front office/coaching staff shakeup, get paid for 4 years, while no other NFL team would view you in an unfavorable light because it's Cleveland.

But, there's just no way that franchise can be saved until ownership is changed. You just don't go through 27 QB's without finding a starter as well as the Head coaches that have revolved through there.

bigjosh
11-18-2017, 09:13 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">�� <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WreckEm?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WreckEm</a> <a href="https://t.co/tAH6GLvRlH">pic.twitter.com/tAH6GLvRlH</a></p>&mdash; Kliff Kingsbury (@TTUKingsbury) <a href="https://twitter.com/TTUKingsbury/status/763900783586795520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I dont remember seeing this one before. Nagy needs to hang out a while. Indy eats dick.

RunKC
11-18-2017, 09:17 PM
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Chiefs OC Matt Nagy will be high, if not first, on Colts GM Chris Ballard's list of head-coaching candidates if Indianapolis moves on from Chuck Pagano.
Nagy, 39, was promoted to full-time OC this season after sharing duties with Brad Childress last season. Nagy doesn't call plays, but neither did Doug Pederson under coach Andy Reid before Pederson landed the Eagles job. Ballard was Director of Football Operations for the Chiefs before joining the Colts, and Chiefs STs coordinator Dave Toub is likely also on the list of candidates. Nagy is a name on the rise.
Related: Colts

DJLN called this like 6 weeks ago. I need to find that post.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Pretty much this.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Lulz, like any ascending 39 year old would just stay and "hang with Mahomes" over being a head coach. Deberg thread.