PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto How Long Or Often Do You Sleep?

eDave
11-11-2017, 03:48 AM
I don't sleep much. 3-4 hours per day. And that's usually crashing on the couch. I'll climb into my big ass bed and crash HARD about once a week. Usually Thursday. Nap whenever but then I'll be up for over 24h after that in an attempt to get back to my "sleep schedule". This is not healthy.

It's not insomnia but it's surely a mental thing. Tonight I had dinner with my Lady, had a few drinks, and was pretty tired. But then Back To School came on and I'd rather watch that. (Flunk me? Flunk him! LMAO ) And Gattaca is coming on next.

I just don't like going to sleep.

New World Order
11-11-2017, 03:51 AM
Depending on the stress level it could be anywhere from 3 to 8 hours.

rico
11-11-2017, 03:58 AM
I generally get to bed at 9a...I'll sleep until about noon. I roll around in bed from noon until about 230p. I wake up when my daughters get home from school and have their first argument of the evening. They get in the door at 320p...they generally have their first argument at about 322p. I then am up and exhausted for the rest of the day until 930ish...I lay down until 1015p and it's time to get ready for work again.

Yeah, I hate my sleep schedule. I am always freaking tired.

eDave
11-11-2017, 04:00 AM
I generally get to bed at 9a...I'll sleep until about noon. I roll around in bed from noon until about 230p. I wake up when my daughters get home from school and have their first argument of the evening. They get in the door at 320p...they generally have their first argument at about 322p. I then am up and exhausted for the rest of the day until 930ish...I lay down until 1015p and it's time to get ready for work again.

Bloody hell.

DaNewGuy
11-11-2017, 04:00 AM
Not much about the same maybe 4 hours at most, I come from a family of insomniacs LMAO

eDave
11-11-2017, 04:23 AM
Not much about the same maybe 4 hours at most, I come from a family of insomniacs LMAO

I learned a little trick for when the mind in running. Concentrate your focus on one of the squiggly lines you see when you close your eyes. You'll drop in minutes. At least I do.

Another is to get a nice fish tank in your bedroom. Very soothing. Lava lamp works too. Or jerk one out.

Why Not?
11-11-2017, 07:25 AM
Average about 6-ish hours a night. But, no matter what time I fall asleep, I'm awake between 5:30-6:15. Binged some Stranger Things last night, went to bed around 1:30, yet here I am at 6:30 wide awake

rockymtnchief
11-11-2017, 07:37 AM
4 to 5 hours a night. It would be more than enough if I didn't wake ten times in that span.

Abba-Dabba
11-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Ouch, 3rd shift sucks. That kind of sleep schedule can cause numerous medical issues. Hope you are able to change that soon.

TambaBerry
11-11-2017, 08:16 AM
To the people who can't sleep, what is your diet like? I completely cut out sugar and processed food and I have never slept better in my life. Even when I only get 4-5 hours I wake up refreshed still.

KCUnited
11-11-2017, 08:17 AM
I get at least 8 hours every night. Sleep is the best supplement for your body and it's free.

RunKC
11-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Used to be around 7.5-8 but after I cut down on sugar, I get 6 and feel fantastic.

lewdog
11-11-2017, 08:25 AM
I pretty much get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I wake up quite a bit (3-5x) but fall back asleep easily. Sometimes I'll sleep for 9 hours on the weekend but that's pretty rare and only if I am really tired.

Sleep is way more important for total body health than people give it credit for.

Mizzou_8541
11-11-2017, 08:26 AM
I don't sleep much. 3-4 hours per day. And that's usually crashing on the couch. I'll climb into my big ass bed and crash HARD about once a week. Usually Thursday. Nap whenever but then I'll be up for over 24h after that in an attempt to get back to my "sleep schedule". This is not healthy.

It's not insomnia but it's surely a mental thing. Tonight I had dinner with my Lady, had a few drinks, and was pretty tired. But then Back To School came on and I'd rather watch that. (Flunk me? Flunk him! LMAO ) And Gattaca is coming on next.

I’m the same way. I work pretty hard all day. When it’s time to sleep, I almost always choose Minder Hunter, House of Cards, catch up on EPL games, etc. even when I know I should sleep, I stay up.

Fire Me Boy!
11-11-2017, 08:32 AM
7-9 hours, depending on when I decide to roll over. My sleep got a lot more once I went on this at-home dialysis. I have to be hooked up for 10 hours, so I usually head to the bedroom between 7 and 8. Once I'm there, it's reading or watching TV or playing here on CP until I decide to go to sleep.

For those struggling to fall asleep, one trick I learned was to starting counting backwards by 3s from 300. 300, 297, 294, 291, etc. I don't usually remember anything past 250.

scho63
11-11-2017, 08:45 AM
When you showed up for our get together last week, I jokingly said to you that you looked exhausted. You looked like you hadn't slept. I guess I was right.

I'm a lucky soul as I sleep great and always have. I fall asleep within 5-15 minutes of getting into sleep mode after getting into bed. I put the TV on to a comedy rerun, turn the volume down pretty low and set the timer for 60 minutes to shut off.

I sleep anywhere from 6-8 hours. I also will take a nap if I feel tired for an hour or two. I go to bed without a care in the world. Only way to sleep well.

The only time I sleep less or restless is if I have a plane to catch in the morning, then I get up a lot and always time check. Haven't needed an alarm clock more than once or twice in the last 20 years. I think I've needed two-three wake-up calls in the last 25 years as well.

I can fall asleep anywhere; chair, beach, pool, party, floor, car.

HemiEd
11-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Average about 6-ish hours a night. But, no matter what time I fall asleep, I'm awake between 5:30-6:15. This is pretty much me, haven't needed an alarm clock in at least 25 years, especially since my time is my own now, with no dread of having to go to work.

Odd timing for this thread as I didn't actually fall asleep last night, I ate and drank too much. :D

BigRedChief
11-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Isn't the average about 7-8 hours night. Looks like we have an explanation as to why CP has late night traffic.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 11:55 AM

Do you not like going to sleep because your circadian rhythm is all screwed up because you have to work at night and you get all frustrated or is it something else ? Anxiety about something?

KCrockaholic
11-11-2017, 11:58 AM
7 or more hours. If it's any less than that I feel like shit all morning until noon.

rico
11-11-2017, 12:07 PM
Do you not like going to sleep because your circadian rhythm is all screwed up because you have to work at night and you get all frustrated or is it something else ? Anxiety about something?

I know mine is both.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Don't know if you have tried the natural approach with Melatonin. Had heard positive things for years by other folks. So here in the last few months I was having a hard time staying asleep as I have never had a problem in the past. I knew it was anxiety about personal stuff and had to just work through it but until I worked through it I decided to finally try it and man did it knock me out for the whole night. Waking up very relaxed but heavy which wore off very soon once I got going. I dreamt very well which is good because that means you are in some serious REM which is the good deep restful sleep you need the most which occurs mostly between 3-6am. And you don't want that time period screwed with when it comes to your sleep. It comes in 1mg, 3mg and 10mg that I have seen. The 3mg was enough for me but you may have to go heavier with 10mg. Take it about a 1/2 hr before you go to bed and within 15 minutes you will start to feel the heaviness.

Try it. It's worth a shot.

Frazod
11-11-2017, 12:17 PM
During the week, probably around six hours a night. I tend to get my second wind right around 10:00. I stay up doing nothing until around 12:30 or 1:00, the alarm goes off at 6:45 and I roll out of bed after about ten minutes. On the weekends I usually go to bed around 3:00 or 4:00 and sleep until noon or so, which seems to sort of recharge me for the week.

Most mornings there's enough caffeine in my system to reanimate Elvis.

Spott
11-11-2017, 12:17 PM
7-8 at night usually. I nap at work sometimes for about 45 minutes to an hour as well.

Bearcat
11-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Around 8 hours a night... I can get by fine on a few hours if I slept fairly well, or ~6 hours for a few days, but after that my brain goes to mush.

I'd love to live off ~6 hours a night. I once had a roommate who would maybe get 2-3 hours/night during the week, then would sleep like 30+ hours from late Friday night to Sunday evening, before staying up most of the night Sunday and doing it all over again. :eek:

FlaChief58
11-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Up until a few years ago, I'd sleep 9 hours a night. Now, I get about 3-4 hours of deep sleep, wake up at 2am, toss and turn until about 30 min before my alarm goes off at 6:30. Fucking sucks...

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Around 8 hours a night... I can get by fine on a few hours if I slept fairly well, or ~6 hours for a few days, but after that my brain goes to mush.

I'd love to live off ~6 hours a night. I once had a roommate who would maybe get 2-3 hours/night during the week, then would sleep like 30+ hours from late Friday night to Sunday evening, before staying up most of the night Sunday and doing it all over again. :eek:

Your former roommate sounds very manic like. Bipolar.:shrug:

Bearcat
11-11-2017, 12:21 PM
During the week, probably around six hours a night. I tend to get my second wind right around 10:00. I stay up doing nothing until around 12:30 or 1:00, the alarm goes off at 6:45 and I roll out of bed after about ten minutes. On the weekends I usually go to bed around 3:00 or 4:00 and sleep until noon or so, which seems to sort of recharge me for the week.

Most mornings there's enough caffeine in my system to reanimate Elvis.

I got too old for that shit (I don't drink caffeine though)... I have to get up on the weekends within a couple hours of my weekly routine, or else I know I'll screw myself over on Sunday night.

Bearcat
11-11-2017, 12:22 PM
That sounds very manic like. Bipolar.:shrug:

Yes, fucking crazy. Scores disturbingly high on the psychopath test.

Fire Me Boy!
11-11-2017, 12:22 PM
This thread needs a spinoff for what time you get up and how much you snooze once the alarm goes off.

Spott
11-11-2017, 12:24 PM
This thread needs a spinoff for what time you get up and how much you snooze once the alarm goes off.

2 snoozes, but it was 3 when I was younger. And yet another spinoff, why are snooze alarms 9 minutes?

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 12:29 PM
I got too old for that shit (I don't drink caffeine though)... I have to get up on the weekends within a couple hours of my weekly routine, or else I know I'll screw myself over on Sunday night.

Had a conversation with a doctor recently that said within the last 15 yrs with all this infestation of all these highly caffeinated drinks hitting the market combined with all the hustle and bustle high tech stressful lifestyle, he has seen more pacemakers put in men/women especially men in their late 30's and early 40's than ever before because they live off of caffeine as opposed to water. He said the heart can only take so much over time and finally just loses the ability to re-sync itself in a proper beat.

Scary stuff to hear that. He said the lasting side effects of heavy caffeine use should be talked about a lot more for sure.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Yes, ****ing crazy. Scores disturbingly high on the psychopath test.

You or your roommate ? I was referring to your roommate btw.

Frazod
11-11-2017, 12:34 PM

I'm too old for it too. Doesn't stop me. I am and have always been a night owl. Thought as I got older I'd outgrow it. Hasn't happened yet.

I have gotten a little better than I used to be - I used to go to bed around 2:00, get up around 7:15 and catch a train that would get me downtown and to the office at or a little after 9:00. But now that I have a management roll I have to be there earlier. Can't bitch at people for being late if I'm late every day. Nobody respects a hypocrite.

Frazod
11-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Your former roommate sounds very manic like. Bipolar.:shrug:

Sounds more like a fucking bear. :D

When I was 18, there was a brief period between my one semester of college and going in the Navy that I wasn't working. I'd generally go to bed around 6:00 a.m. and get up around 3:00 p.m. One morning I just stayed up. This was before I started drinking coffee or taking any other stimulants. Stayed up all day and night. The next day I decided to drive to a town about 70 miles away which had the nearest mall. On the way back, it hit me. Nearly ran the car off the road three or four times falling asleep. Made it home, unplugged the phone and slept for two days.

Never did that shit again.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Never did that shit again.

ROFL I bet you didn't. Had a very similar situation happen to me. You learn not screw with your circadian rhythm or it will just shut down on you that could lead to your death for sure. Blessed by God that He woke me up while driving on the highway as I was veering off I pulled myself over splashed cold water in my face, turned the stereo on as loud as it would play and rolled the windows down in 10 degree weather to make it home. That helped as well. The things we do when we are young.:shake:

Frazod
11-11-2017, 12:55 PM
ROFL I bet you didn't. Had a very similar situation happen to me. You learn not screw with your circadian rhythm or it will just shut down on you that could lead to your death for sure. Blessed by God that He woke me up while driving on the highway as I was veering off I pulled myself over splashed cold water in my face, turned the stereo on as loud as it would play and rolled the windows down in 10 degree weather to make it home. That helped as well. The things we do when we are young.:shake:

Same here. I had both windows down and was literally slapping myself in the face to stay awake. It was scary.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Same here. I had both windows down and was literally slapping myself in the face to stay awake. It was scary.

Scary and very sobering for sure.;)

DaFace
11-11-2017, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty consistently between 7.5-8.5 hours per night. I don't function well without a good night's sleep.

HemiEd
11-11-2017, 01:52 PM

I don't know how any of those libtards can sleep at all. :D

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:01 PM
I don't know how any of those libtards can sleep at all. :D

I totally get ya !!;)

SAGA45
11-11-2017, 02:08 PM
roughly 3-4 hours. I work 2 two jobs...70 hours a week usually. There's some gaps in the schedule that permit me some sleep. But I still feel it. Monday-Tues...im okay. Wednesday...things get iffy. Thursday-Friday...there's times throughout the day when Im talking and don't realize it...and by the time I do, I've already told a coworker they should make tacos and pay my car note.

Bearcat
11-11-2017, 02:20 PM
You or your roommate ? I was referring to your roommate btw.

My former roommate. LMAO

Bearcat
11-11-2017, 02:23 PM
I'm too old for it too. Doesn't stop me. I am and have always been a night owl. Thought as I got older I'd outgrow it. Hasn't happened yet.

I have gotten a little better than I used to be - I used to go to bed around 2:00, get up around 7:15 and catch a train that would get me downtown and to the office at or a little after 9:00. But now that I have a management roll I have to be there earlier. Can't bitch at people for being late if I'm late every day. Nobody respects a hypocrite.

When I'm on vacation, I tend to sleep from about 1am-9am.... so, being on a ~10pm-6am schedule during the week and ~11pm-7am on the weekend isn't terrible. I've known people whose regular sleep schedule is 3am-noon, so of course having a 9-5 job is torture.

AssEaterChief
11-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Anxiety? Restlessness? Over active ticker?

You need to get more sleep any way you can Dave. It ages you and causes stress hormones to get to unhealthy levels in the body.

I sleep 8-10 hours but I toss and turn quite often and it can feel like 4-5 hours. I realized I get my 'best sleep' from 6-9 in the morning for whatever reason too.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:27 PM
You may have sleep apnea and not know it and why you can't sleep as well.:hmmm:

hometeam
11-11-2017, 02:27 PM
I am a 4-5 hour a night guy. have been since I was an 'adult'

I dont know, i guess my philosophy is that sleep is wasted time.

On the other hand, my lady will sleep for 15 hours if I let her, and she is unapologetic that she would waste an entire productive day sleeping, while I get 8+ hours worth of shit done.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:30 PM
I am a 4-5 hour a night guy. have been since I was an 'adult'

I dont know, i guess my philosophy is that sleep is wasted time.

On the other hand, my lady will sleep for 15 hours if I let her, and she is unapologetic that she would waste an entire productive day sleeping, while I get 8+ hours worth of shit done.

15hrs !!!!:eek: Depressed ? Overweight ? Or both ?:shrug:

TLO
11-11-2017, 02:31 PM
I try to get between 8 and 10 hours per night. Any more or any less and I just don't feel right the next day.

Getting into a routine of going to bed around the same time each night and getting up roughly the same time in the morning has been really beneficial to my mental health as well.

eDave
11-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Anxiety? Restlessness? Over active ticker?

You need to get more sleep any way you can Dave. It ages you and causes stress hormones to get to unhealthy levels in the body.

I sleep 8-10 hours but I toss and turn quite often and it can feel like 4-5 hours. I realized I get my 'best sleep' from 6-9 in the morning for whatever reason too.

I just don't care to sleep is all.

hometeam
11-11-2017, 02:44 PM
15hrs !!!!:eek: Depressed ? Overweight ? Or both ?:shrug:

neither

its not typical, but if we both have the day off and she doesnt have to get up to mess with the kid (since I am up anyways) she will just go.

On work nights she gets about 8 hours. Her thought is that since she only gets 8 hours 5 or 6 nights a week, one or two days at 12 or 15 hours is make-up sleep for what she really wants to get.

hometeam
11-11-2017, 02:45 PM

I am the same.

Waste of time. I could be doing something that's not just laying there.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Are you guilt ridden when you have nothing to do?? Do you see yourself as a workaholic or what I call "activeholic"(always have to be doing something in order to justify any sleep) thus sleep is looked as laziness ?

NinerDoug
11-11-2017, 04:18 PM

That's rough. When I was in school I worked a graveyard shift on Friday and Saturday nights from September to May, and five nights a week from June to August. I'd get home about
8:30 am or so, go to sleep, and wake up about 3 or so hours later, feeling like shit. My eyes would feel like they were full of sand. I'm sure it was completely unhealthy. But I was in my 20s at the time, so I handled it ok.

eDave
11-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Are you guilt ridden when you have nothing to do?? Do you see yourself as a workaholic or what I call "activeholic"(always have to be doing something in order to justify any sleep) thus sleep is looked as laziness ?

No. Just prefer to be awake rather than sleeping. I'll put it off till I drop.

I'm a "night person". Thursday dorks me as I have a 5:00 am and I rarely am asleep before 2 or 3am. So on that day, I just stay up. I hate my Thursdays. Really, really hate them.

And I never miss a known airing of Gattaca.

Easy 6
11-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Loves me some sleep, always try to get as much of it as possible... put in 9 1/2 hours last night, and will get that much or more tonight

Bwana
11-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Normally 6 or 6 1/2 hours.

stevieray
11-11-2017, 07:30 PM
....reading this thread is making me tired.

Easy 6
11-11-2017, 07:36 PM
....reading this thread is making me tired.

LMAO

Rain Man
11-11-2017, 07:55 PM
I generally sleep about once per day, to answer the original question.

I had a race today and had to get up at O'dark thirty to get there. Plus, it's in the eastern time zone, so getting up at 5 am was kind of the equivalent of getting up at 3. I went to bed about 12:30 local time, so I was running on a sleep deficit. I had to drive a couple of hours this afternoon and once I hit the hotel I walked in the door, set my stuff down, lay down on the bed, and boom. I didn't wake up until 2.5 hours later.

KCUnited
11-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Restoring your body and prolonging your health is about the most productive thing you can do for yourself. Of course I’m extremely efficient while awake and not butt fucking moron’ing throughout my day.

stevieray
11-11-2017, 08:22 PM
I take power naps on the weekends.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2017, 08:25 PM
6-7 hours usually, 9 or 10 if I feel like sleeping in.

scho63
11-11-2017, 08:58 PM
No. Just prefer to be awake rather than sleeping. I'll put it off till I drop.

I'm a "night person". Thursday dorks me as I have a 5:00 am and I rarely am asleep before 2 or 3am. So on that day, I just stay up. I hate my Thursdays. Really, really hate them.

And I never miss a known airing of Gattaca.

Maybe you should try napping instead- do short sleeps of an hour here and an hour there.

Einstein did it that way.

---------------------------------------------------

Who says naps are for infants and kindergartners? Studies show that mid-day naps can improve your mood and boost productivity.

If you’re one of the many who wish they could step away from the desk and slip under the sheets, you’re in good company. Some of history’s greatest minds have shared your sentiment and used naps as a way to help them get their jobs done. Here’s a list of our favorite 8 famous nappers:

1. Margaret Thatcher
Often referred to as “The Iron Lady,” the renowned British prime minister was known for working 20-hour days serving her country. To ensure she was running on all cylinders, Thatcher would take short snooze breaks during the day to make up for her less than restful nights.

2. Thomas Edison
Similar to Thatcher, Edison slept only three to four hours a night. Publicly, he went as far as to imply sleeping any more than that as a sign of laziness. But, the famous inventor was less vocal about about the fact that he often napped for two to three hours at a time during the day. Kind of ironic for the guy who invented the light bulb and forever altered our circadian rhythm.

3. Salvador Dali
Perhaps the most innovative of our famous nappers, quirky artist Salvador Dali took afternoon naps that were designed to last no longer than a single second. To perfect his “micro nap,” Dali would sit in a chair with a hefty metal key pressed between his thumb and forefinger. The moment he fell asleep, the key would fall from his fingers and awaken him. Dali believed the short nap “revivified” both his mind and body.

4. John F. Kennedy
The beloved President of the United States was known for taking his lunch in bed before settling down for a mid-day nap, which typically lasted between one to two hours. It is also said that his wife, Jackie Kennedy, would join him for the nap every day, often clearing her schedule or leaving engagements early to accommodate.

5.Eleanor Roosevelt
Speaking of first ladies, Eleanor Roosevelt was a famous napper in her own right. She would often take short naps prior to public speaking engagements to boost her energy and reinvigorate her mind.

6.Winston Churchill
After an early afternoon game of cards with his wife, Clementine, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill would climb into bed for 2-hour-long naps every day. Many say that Churchill chose to work third shift, starting his most important work around 11 p.m. and continuing well into the night and early morning. Churchill even kept a bed in the Houses of Parliament to make sure he never missed his daily nap.

7. Leonard da Vinci
Like many of our other famous nappers, da Vinci had a very irregular sleeping pattern — taking naps throughout the day and sleeping less hours at night. The Renaissance man would take 15-minute naps every four hours.

8. Albert Einstein
What if you could think like Einstein? Your IQ may not be off the charts, but when it comes to naps, you too can be a genius. Similar to Dali, Einstein believed in the power of the micro nap. He would sit in his chair and hold a pencil or a spoon as he dozed off. Unlike most daytime nappers, though, Einstein got plenty of rest at night as well, regularly sleeping for at least 10 hours.

EPodolak
11-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Been shopping for a good mattress the past few weeks. My age and injuries have made it necessary to get a top-notch sleep set-up, an adjustable frame and all that.

Looking forward to getting more rest and not waking up through the night, they say it's life-changer.

kcxiv
11-11-2017, 09:28 PM
3 to 6 hours, usuallyy abut 4-5 though. Once in a while ill get 7 in, but thats Super rare. no more then that unless im laid out with the flu. I've tried the working out thing. i have tried almost everything outside of sleeping pills (will not do). It's just the way i am.

Frazod
11-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Been shopping for a good mattress the past few weeks. My age and injuries have made it necessary to get a top-notch sleep set-up, an adjustable frame and all that.

Looking forward to getting more rest and not waking up through the night, they say it's life-changer.

A good mattress makes a world of difference. We had a middle of the road Serta mattress and I woke up with a sore back nearly every morning. Switched to a Tempur-Pedic and that went away completely.

BWillie
11-11-2017, 10:06 PM

That's not healthy man. I read a study, sorry I don't have the link right now that people who get less than 6 hrs of sleep on avg have a 15 year diff life expectancy.

Personally I have a really erratic sleeping pattern, which probably isn't any better. 2 or 3 nights a week I sleep about 3 hrs a night, and 2 or 3 I get about 9+ hrs of sleep. Other nights about 6-7.

kcxiv
11-11-2017, 10:23 PM
That's not healthy man. I read a study, sorry I don't have the link right now that people who get less than 6 hrs of sleep on avg have a 15 year diff life expectancy.

Personally I have a really erratic sleeping pattern, which probably isn't any better. 2 or 3 nights a week I sleep about 3 hrs a night, and 2 or 3 I get about 9+ hrs of sleep. Other nights about 6-7.

There is not much you can do when you wake up after a few hours and cant go back to sleep. Peoplewith insomnia would love to sleep more then that, but it just doesnt work that way.

I'd love to get a solid 8 in everyday! .

Mosbonian
11-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Sun-Thur I usually go to bed at 9 PM and get up at 5 AM without fail and I get up well rested.

On weekends I stay up till 11:30 to Midnight and wake up around 8 AM.

I used to sleep only 5 or 6 hours a night and I could tell how it was wearing on my body.

Have to take care of myself now so I get good rest. I usually wake up once during the night to take a leak and then fall right back to sleep without fail.

Eleazar
11-11-2017, 10:34 PM
About 5-6 hours usually.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Just prefer to be awake rather than sleeping. I'll put it off till I drop.

So hypothetically speaking if the human body did not require sleep at all and you could pull it off you would always be awake then? If this is true what is it that you think you might miss out on or don't trust that might happen if you fall asleep ?

RunKC
11-12-2017, 12:01 AM
A good mattress makes a world of difference. We had a middle of the road Serta mattress and I woke up with a sore back nearly every morning. Switched to a Tempur-Pedic and that went away completely.

Yeah I learned the hard way that you never go cheap on a mattress. It's worth the extra money for quality results.

cooper barrett
11-12-2017, 12:03 AM
7-9 hours, depending on when I decide to roll over. My sleep got a lot more once I went on this at-home dialysis. I have to be hooked up for 10 hours, so I usually head to the bedroom between 7 and 8. Once I'm there, it's reading or watching TV or playing here on CP until I decide to go to sleep.

For those struggling to fall asleep, one trick I learned was to starting counting backwards by 3s from 300. 300, 297, 294, 291, etc. I don't usually remember anything past 250.

Sucks to have to be hooked up to a machine, are you stuck with it for life or is a transplant an option?

I used to joke about skills you need to practice when you're drunk one of them was reciting the alphabet backwards. I had some lady thank me one night out of the blue because when her husband would come home drunk she would tell him, it would be a great time to practice the alphabet backwards, He was a sleep somewhere in the r's. I always wondered if she sent him out to the street to walk the the center line eyes closed and arms out.:D:D:D:D:D

eDave
11-12-2017, 01:48 AM
So hypothetically speaking if the human body did not require sleep at all and you could pull it off you would always be awake then? If this is true what is it that you think you might miss out on or don't trust that might happen if you fall asleep ?

Oh yea. Don't really know the answer to your hypothetical. I think it's obvious from my post and responses that I'd stay up.

But you are absolutely right, I end of going to sleep because I eventually get bored. Or work is coming soon.

eDave
11-12-2017, 01:50 AM

I know man. I do feel the difference after I eventually crash.

I could kinda care less how long I live, TBH.

eDave
11-12-2017, 01:54 AM
Maybe you should try napping instead- do short sleeps of an hour here and an hour there.

Einstein did it that way.

Naps are a tricky thing. You get into REM sleep and it's a MF to wake back up and get back to work.

Too late in the afternoon, I'll be up all night again.

There's some honesty I need to address with myself about this.

cooper barrett
11-12-2017, 07:42 AM
I seem to get sleep in 4 hour chunks twice a day. I used to go to bed between 11 and midnight, sleep til 3-4 am and wake totally refreshed. I would go to my office and work for a few hours, and goof off a bit, and go back to bed for a few more hours. Crawling out at 9- 10 AM or so unless there were things that had to be done.

I have a bum leg that required elevating after lengthy periods of time on it and especially after biking. I have found that when it is bothering me that I am prone to nodding out and will often just go crawl onto the couch and take a nap for maybe an hour and I am fine the rest of the day. The naps over the last 2 weeks, with the SO out of town, seem to be getting longer and I am on only 4 hours of "bedtime" sleep a night. I hope this corrects it'self when she gets back in a couple of weeks. If not it's off to the Drs office.....

damaticous
11-12-2017, 08:39 AM
I've always had trouble sleeping. My hole life. I've never been able to turn my brain off or stop thinking enough to fall asleep. I had tried everything I read about...consistent bed time, no TV in bedroom, read, count sheep, sleeping pills, benadryl... All of it! I was so damn frustrated! With no sleep I was more anxious and nervous than ever!

It wasn't until my 30's that I was told my father had the same issues. His Dr. put him on a prescription of a very low dose of Trazodone. It is a VERY small amount that "shut down his mind", and allowed him to sleep.

I don't know much about it, but when I asked my Dr. if I could try it for 30 days she gave me a prescription and I've never looked back.

Over a decade later, I still sleep like a baby every night.

As your doctor if Trazodone is right for you. Don't take Trazoadone while driving or using heavy machinery. Seek medical assistance if you experience vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea, sudden loss of blood pressure, happiness, or euphoria. You could probably smoke or ingest marijuana and experience the same relaxing benefits of Trazodon, but the drug companies won't make as much money, and it's still illegal in Missouri. Ask your Doctor if Trazadone is right for you.

Oh! I take 10 MG of Melatonin with my Trazodone as well.

Dunit35
11-12-2017, 09:14 AM
I generally sleep for 6-8 hrs. That's my goal every night.

Last night was fantastic. My wife got called in at the hospital and she had to work 7-7. Had the bed all to myself until about one. My four year old sick daughter climbed in. She likes to sleep the opposite direction of the bed and gives no damn where you're at on the bed.

I will say I sleep a lot better since I lost 50+lbs. My wife use to tell me I'd stop breathing in my sleep, waking myself up. She said I don't do that anymore. I do wake up once a night to pee.

Rausch
11-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Generally sleep 4 hours (total.)

On weekends I might get between 6-12.

Insomnia is a mother****er...