PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Conley - Was he more vital to the offense than we gave him credit for?

SAGA45
11-11-2017, 01:59 PM
I don't study all-22 film like some of you and my knowledge of the x's and o's certainly falls WELL short of being able to put together a competent gameplan against an nfl caliber defense.

So I pose the question to those of you that do have those credentials or something close...was Conley a more vital part of the offense than we knew or gave him credit for?

Sure, the offensive line injuries played a part in the Chiefs struggles, but even with some of those guys back, the offense has been stagnant compared to when Conley was starting.

Chiefs were 5-0 with Conley starting.... 1-3 with him out. They've averaged 31.2 points per game with him starting...22.5 without him.

I ask this because I see a lot of Chiefs fans pointing to the defense and o-line as culprits of the Chiefs struggles and understandably so....but I've yet to see anyone highlight Conley's absence as a major factor.

Granted, he wasn't setting the world on fire but...the role he played...could it have been more significant to the Chiefs offensive success than we initially thought?

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:02 PM
No.

Titty Meat
11-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Nope Robinson is better.

DaFace
11-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Nope Robinson is better.

That's a pretty big stretch. Robinson certainly isn't as sure-handed as Conley was. He's cost us a few key first downs because of it.

CoMoChief
11-11-2017, 02:12 PM
The Chiefs aren't running the football well, which is why the offense is shit.

You're not going to do shit on offense if Hunt is only getting 1-2 yards repeatedly on first down.

The problem is the offensive line. They're not getting any push up front in the running game.

Not having Conley sucks, this team's already lacking at the WR position a great deal. Maclin is starting to produce in BAL, sucks because we could use that right now. Just sucks he wasn't able to produce (other than his first year here) and was massively overpaid when he was here.

It would be nice if the Chiefs could've picked up Bennett to be TE2 to Kelce. Incompletrius Harris is fucking awful. And Travis sucks too. God help us all if Kelce goes down for any significant length of time.

The defense can't stop the run, they can't rush the QB, and they let up big plays on 3rd down. It's fucking annoying. That hurts this team more than any blunders they might currently be experiencing on offense right now.

There's plenty of blame to go around. It just seemed like they didn't even show up for the DAL game. No intensity in that game whatsoever. And the game would've looked a lot worse had Tyreek Hill not caught them sleeping on that play right before half. 99% of the time that play is stopped.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:12 PM
The lack of being able to force our will in the trenches on both sides of the ball also greatly exposes our other weaknesses (a la 2ndary, LBing,) and from the offensive side( no running game, no pass blocking thus very little scoring)

IMHO even IF our o-line hadn't got hurt we still would have been exposed and you saw a glimpse of this even in our victories over the Eagles and Skins at home. They were clearly much more physical in the trenches and manhandled us to a great degree. Had the Eagles not still been getting their offensive feet underneath them and the Skins been not so beat up coming in, I say they win those games because IF we were to play them now we lose hands down IMHO.

RealSNR
11-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Correlation does not equal causation

RealSNR
11-11-2017, 02:15 PM
That's a pretty big stretch. Robinson certainly isn't as sure-handed as Conley was. He's cost us a few key first downs because of it.

I haven't seen him drop any passes, unless they were inaccurate throws by Smith.

Maybe Smith threw them accurately and Robinson didn't run the route accurately, but whatever the case, I don't think you can count those as "drops"

Pablo
11-11-2017, 02:15 PM
No. Hope that helps.

SAGA45
11-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Correlation does not equal causation
I wholeheartedly agree. But in this instance, at the very minimum, it's worth noting.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
11-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Missing Ramik!!!!!

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:24 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. But in this instance, at the very minimum, it's worth noting.

Well you can note it but defenses weren't concerned about Conley. He hasn't done anything remarkable consistently ever like a KH or TH to account for in a defensive game plan. So far Conley is a JAG and isn't the causation like some have noted.

hometeam
11-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Dude aint ever done shit but look good on a piece of paper.

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Dude aint ever done shit but look good on a piece of paper.

:thumb:

SAGA45
11-11-2017, 02:29 PM
So far Conley is a JAG and isn't the causation like some have noted.

See...that part... I don't think it's that simple thus the thread. I suspect his value to the offense wouldn't show in his stat lines or highlight reels per say. I think there's more to it than we 'know' and perhaps only Nagy and/or Reid could ever expand on or confirm.

Pablo
11-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Is his 3 for 37 stat line what we're missing out on? Is that what was pushing us over the hump the first part of the year?

Pablo
11-11-2017, 02:35 PM
See...that part... I don't think it's that simple thus the thread. I suspect his value to the offense wouldn't show in his stat lines or highlight reels per say. I think there's more to it than we 'know' and perhaps only Nagy and/or Reid could ever expand on or confirm.I don't see it that way at all. He's really just a body out there.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2017, 02:36 PM
Who?

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 02:38 PM
See...that part... I don't think it's that simple thus the thread. I suspect his value to the offense wouldn't show in his stat lines or highlight reels per say. I think there's more to it than we 'know' and perhaps only Nagy and/or Reid could ever expand on or confirm.

You are theorizing a "just a player's presence" but that theory only holds water 'when' that player has already established a reputation of consistent remarkable play to be accounted for over time. Conley hasn't.

JakeF
11-11-2017, 02:50 PM
Accumlative effect

Jewish Rabbi
11-11-2017, 02:55 PM
SAGA45 - Does he have more chromosomes than we give him credit for?

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Throw Albert Wilson in there as well. A key 3rd down catch to seal a game and a fake punt TD. That is all he has done.

Sandy Vagina
11-11-2017, 03:05 PM

You're not going to do shit on offense if Hunt is only getting 1-2 yards repeatedly on first down.

The problem is the offensive line. They're not getting any push up front in the running game.

Not having Conley sucks, this team's already lacking at the WR position a great deal. Maclin is starting to produce in BAL, sucks because we could use that right now. Just sucks he wasn't able to produce (other than his first year here) and was massively overpaid when he was here.

It would be nice if the Chiefs could've picked up Bennett to be TE2 to Kelce. Incompletrius Harris is ****ing awful. And Travis sucks too. God help us all if Kelce goes down for any significant length of time.

The defense can't stop the run, they can't rush the QB, and they let up big plays on 3rd down. It's ****ing annoying. That hurts this team more than any blunders they might currently be experiencing on offense right now.

There's plenty of blame to go around. It just seemed like they didn't even show up for the DAL game. No intensity in that game whatsoever. And the game would've looked a lot worse had Tyreek Hill not caught them sleeping on that play right before half. 99% of the time that play is stopped.

Great post all over. :)

DaNewGuy
11-11-2017, 03:22 PM
No we already have wilson providing the 2 or 3 catches for minimal yards

Best22
11-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Before injury: Conley is garbage and meaningless to his team
After injury: we just lost Calvin Johnson and we are the 2012 Lions

If this offense was relying on Conley to carry us then we were screwed anyway.

It's all about the offensive line. What has Conley done hat makes him so much better than Robinson?

I'll never understand Chief fans sometimes. Smh

KCChiefsFan88
11-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Conley was a good blocker as a WR so maybe the Chiefs miss him in that role, but he never had much of a consistent role in the Chiefs' passing game.

lewdog
11-11-2017, 03:55 PM
He needs more Touches.

KChiefs1
11-11-2017, 04:09 PM
I'll take DRob over him every time.

Easy 6
11-11-2017, 04:32 PM
He was finally starting to look like an NFL player, but no... he wasnt undervalued around here

Eleazar
11-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Conley has a world of potential that we are still waiting to see if it will be realized.

The offense is regressing because the o-line is getting dominated and the play calling has gone back in to the panic shell.

Bwana
11-11-2017, 05:57 PM
No

Coogs
11-12-2017, 08:23 AM

It would be nice if the Chiefs could've picked up Bennett to be TE2 to Kelce. Incompletrius Harris is ****ing awful. And Travis sucks too. God help us all if Kelce goes down for any significant length of time.

The defense can't stop the run, they can't rush the QB, and they let up big plays on 3rd down. It's ****ing annoying. That hurts this team more than any blunders they might currently be experiencing on offense right now.

An offense has to be able to overcome a 1-2 yard rush on 1st down. What I saw was Smith trying to hard to prevent turning the ball over trait return the last few games. Early in the season... when he had the screw it mentality... we could overcome the behind he sticks plays. Now that old Alex is back, we can't. That has to change starting next Sunday.

Ragged Robin
11-12-2017, 09:44 AM
seemed to finally get rapport with Alex and was reliable, not presence on the field but you always need a possession guy to compliment the big hitters like Hill

Wilson has sort of filled the role now but I would still have Conely out there based on pure talent alone. Huge catch radius and has way more top end speed.

Molitoth
11-12-2017, 09:47 AM
No.

The Chiefs "new" offense got figured out and they can't adjust.

Teams know they can focus on taking out Hunt/run game and pressure Alex into becoming a turd sandwich.

baitism
11-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Our SB run was derailed that day.

RaidersOftheCellar
11-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Conley has a world of potential that we are still waiting to see if it will be realized.

The offense is regressing because the o-line is getting dominated and the play calling has gone back in to the panic shell.

Bingo. However, the "regression" is a little overstated. Offense looked great in Oakland. Basically we're talking about one bad half against Pittsburgh and a subpar (but not terrible) game in Dallas.

There were stagnant periods during the 5-0 stretch too.

T-post Tom
11-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Yep. This o-line needs continuity. Any more injuries and it is going to get ugly/uglier. If they stay healthy for the remainder of the year, I think they have a really good chance of improving enough to help the team overcome its subpar defense. Getting the running game back on track will be a necessity if this team wants to win a playoff game. Can't do that with bad o-line play.

patteeu
11-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Conley was a good blocker as a WR so maybe the Chiefs miss him in that role, but he never had much of a consistent role in the Chiefs' passing game.

That's what this thread made me wonder about. Are Conley and Wilson better blockers than the Robinson, DAT, and the others getting more playing time? And if so, how much of a difference has that made in the running game?