PDA

View Full Version : Life Looking for homeschool info

Chief Roundup
11-11-2017, 10:57 PM
I have looked all over the internet and found an overwhelming amount of information that is helpful yet hard to decipher.
Any of you all have any experience with particular programs or person information/incite it would be greatly appreciated.

Mephistopheles Janx
11-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Don't know what grade level you are looking for but this fine institution gave me a HS diploma WAY back in the day.

https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

threebag
11-11-2017, 11:15 PM
I think K12 is the resource they advertise around here

Chiefshrink
11-11-2017, 11:50 PM
Go to Focus on the Family and they will have a plethora of info on home schooling.;)

cosmo20002
11-12-2017, 01:23 AM
Why do you want to homeschool? Jesus freak?

baitism
11-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Don't forget the social aspect of school.

duncan_idaho
11-12-2017, 08:27 AM
As someone who was home schooled for part of his K-12, I would say a few things:

- Have a plan going into it. What's the purpose behind doing it? Religious reasons? Trouble at school for your child? Dissatisfaction with the school?

All factor in differently in how you should approach it.

If it's a one-year stopgap, make sure the curriculum you're setting up will keep your kid(s) on track. And stay away from the religious-focused home school books.

- think about how well your child self-studies. This is critical. Kids who self-study well are set up to be successful in home schooling. Kids who don't will need a lot of attention during the day.

There are a lot of other things to think about, but there's situation specific. If you share a little more about you kid/situation, I'd gladly share additional thoughts.

It can be really successful, but how good the kid is at school and how prepared the parents are to teach difficult subjects are really key (as is the relationship between parent and child).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmahurin
11-12-2017, 08:47 AM
My wife and I homeschool our 10 and 13 year old daughters. We can't afford private school or advanced classes and both of them test several grade levels higher than they are in and the public school programs to push them harder were a joke. We do it so we can challenge them more. We use several different online programs and academies for them. We found a version of the Missouri MAP test to give at the end of the school year. It's essentially the state of California's version of the Missouri test called the CAT. We do zero religious things and it's difficult sometimes to find non religious home school curriculum but it's doable.

Rausch
11-12-2017, 09:52 AM
It can be really successful, but how good the kid is at school and how prepared the parents are to teach difficult subjects are really key (as is the relationship between parent and child).

This.

I have never home schooled but spent time as an elementary tutor trying to catch kids up who's parents didn't take it seriously.

(Yes, I passed a background check. Yes, I was hired first for the public school system and then as a private tutor. Yes, I did make more doing that than I do now.)

Three things you need to know:

1) The law. Know what's required and make sure you meet requirements in your state or the gub-ment will step in.

2) One parent has to be home to do the teaching. This is a must. No exceptions.

If you can afford to pay for someone to school your child at home you can afford a private school.

3) Home schooling will likely put your kid ahead academically but also behind socially. Make sure he/she is in boy/girl scouts or other groups where they have significant time with kids their age...

Rain Man
11-12-2017, 11:05 AM
I homeschooled our cats, and I don't regret it. They learned everything they needed to succeed in life.

BleedingRed
11-12-2017, 11:09 AM
I homeschooled our cats, and I don't regret it. They learned everything they needed to succeed in life.

I think they frown on you if you spray you children with a water bottle if they misbehave

hometeam
11-12-2017, 11:10 AM
My gf and all 3 of her brothers where homeschooled, and I have several friends who where as well. They all have HS 'diplomas'

Socially, they range from awkward to completely inept. My friends think that the world is only 6000 years old. My gf wouldnt pass a test of 10th grade knowledge, niether would two of her brothers. She isnt stupid, she just wasnt taught anything.

Good intentions or whatever, I cant recommend.

Rausch
11-12-2017, 11:11 AM
I think they frown on you if you spray you children with a water bottle if they misbehave

Not in the midwest.

Here your kids would beat you for showing a weakness like that...

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Why do you want to homeschool? Jesus freak?

No religious reasons at all. I do not like the public school system.

Rausch
11-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Valid...

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Don't forget the social aspect of school.

As long as the child is enrolled in homeschool and the proper paperwork has been filled out so the tax dollars still go to the local school district your child can participate in sports and lots of other events to keep the social interaction that is very necessary on going.

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 11:47 AM
My gf and all 3 of her brothers where homeschooled, and I have several friends who where as well. They all have HS 'diplomas'

Socially, they range from awkward to completely inept. My friends think that the world is only 6000 years old. My gf wouldnt pass a test of 10th grade knowledge, niether would two of her brothers. She isnt stupid, she just wasnt taught anything.

I think that is probably one of those situations where the parents weren't paying good enough attention. A parent has to go through the school work with their children to truly know the quality of the education that the child is getting.

duncan_idaho
11-12-2017, 11:55 AM

In that case...

Make sure your curriculum is secular. I'd hit up eBay for books. If you get Saxon math books and make your kids complete them, rather than stop 1/2 through, they'll be ahead of their peers.

Do you or your partner have an education background? That's key. My parents didn't, but my dad is basically Jared from the Pretender and channeled anything he needed to (especially high-concept math).

I was also pretty self-sufficient, which saved me.

My sister wasn't, and it really stunted her. She has issues she's still dealing with today (on top of being a goddamn millennial who was spoiled rotten by my folks).

Agree with Rausch on the social aspect. My parents made sure I had a variety of social outlets (travel baseball, home school support group, 4-H, Scouts, church group, etc). They let my sister do just one (dance), which also stunted her.

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Valid...

I am not a fan of "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. It is only setting kids up to fail when they get to adulthood.
I have been to going to all of the school board meetings recently in this area. There have been a lot of students talking to their parents about the new testing methods that have been implemented. My child started not being as attentive to his school work, in talking to him about it I found out that if a student fails a test they are allowed to retake it up to 3 times. If the students answers the questions the same on 2 of the 3 exams then they will be given a 70% and passed. The student still doesn't know the information but according to the school board they have been given a directive that no students should be failed and left behind.
I cannot set my child up for failure in the manner that these people are asking parents to do. It is now causing a dramatic drop in overall scores due to this policy.

Chief_For_Life58
11-12-2017, 11:58 AM
I've never met a normal home school kid. Connections and socialization are almost more important than learning in a class

Easy 6
11-12-2017, 12:00 PM
I have a niece who was home schooled for religious reasons, and it definitely stunted her social interaction skills

But it was their parents fault because there are ways to ensure a kid gets plenty of interaction with their peers... sports leagues and scouting, for example, but they didnt let her do those kinds of things either

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 12:03 PM
In that case...

Make sure your curriculum is secular. I'd hit up eBay for books. If you get Saxon math books and make your kids complete them, rather than stop 1/2 through, they'll be ahead of their peers.

Do you or your partner have an education background? That's key. My parents didn't, but my dad is basically Jared from the Pretender and channeled anything he needed to (especially high-concept math).

My sister wasn't, and it really stunted her. She has issues she's still dealing with today (on top of being a goddamn millennial who was spoiled rotten by my folks).

Agree with Rausch on the social aspect. My parents made sure I had a variety of social outlets (travel baseball, home school support group, 4-H, Scouts, church group, etc). They let my sister do just one (dance), which also stunted her.

My stepmother is going to assist us 3 days a week. She is a retired teacher. Also every Friday there is a....meeting or group teaching session that has a average attendance of 25 students and then their parent or parents.
Over half of those parents all are doing this for religious type reasons and don't mind mentioning that they believe that religion should be one of the topics on the Friday meetings which it is not and I hope it stays that way.

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 12:09 PM
I've never met a normal home school kid. Connections and socialization are almost more important than learning in a class

My boy likes animals, wilderness and video games the most. So he is a member of the Boy Scouts and there are a couple of groups that get together at a few different gaming shops that play together competing.

Rausch
11-12-2017, 12:10 PM
I have been to going to all of the school board meetings recently in this area. There have been a lot of students talking to their parents about the new testing methods that have been implemented.

This is a problem - perk your ears up.

You are NOT parent - you are a child. You have no clue what's best for you.
Does any grown assed adult think children should have a voice in the conversation about education?

My child started not being as attentive to his school work, in talking to him about it I found out that if a student fails a test they are allowed to retake it up to 3 times. If the students answers the questions the same on 2 of the 3 exams then they will be given a 70% and passed. The student still doesn't know the information but according to the school board they have been given a directive that no students should be failed and left behind.

But how do they FEEL?...

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 12:17 PM
This is a problem - perk your ears up.

You are NOT parent - you are a child. You have no clue what's best for you.
Does any grown assed adult think children should have a voice in the conversation about education?

But how do they FEEL?...

The child should voice to their parents and then let the parents take it from there and make the final decision. Keep in mind the voice my child was giving was complaining that several of the other students are not doing their school work and bragging about it and yet are getting 70s and passing without doing any of the work. At first I thought that there was something missing in this story. Upon further review no not really.
After being to several school board meetings and talking to several members of the board and teachers they all hate this new testing method. They realize that it is dumbing down in order to pass children that have not learned the material. The teachers and board are powerless against these changes.

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 12:20 PM
But how do they FEEL?...

Who?

Rausch
11-12-2017, 12:29 PM
The child should voice to their parents and then let the parents take it from there and make the final decision.

Fair enough.

After being to several school board meetings and talking to several members of the board and teachers they all hate this new testing method. They realize that it is dumbing down in order to pass children that have not learned the material. The teachers and board are powerless against these changes.

You need to realize the point is to make money.

Not to educate children - to satisfy the needs of the state.

A private school (lutheran, catholic, baptist, ect) all meet the same requirements but expect more. They NEVER expect less.

I know here where I live the Lutheran and Catholic schools both agree on an 8 point grading system.

That means you fail at 69 and you don't move on. You leave.

The end...

Pablo
11-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Every home-schooled kid I've ever interacted with has been very normal and not awkward at all.

KChiefs1
11-12-2017, 01:15 PM

The Porters seem to be really nice kids.

otherstar
11-12-2017, 02:42 PM

We're in Texas, and this is why we home school our kids.

otherstar
11-12-2017, 02:49 PM
In that case...

All of this. My wife and I both have graduate degrees (she has one master's, I have two)....so that helps.

How well-adjusted home schooled kids are is a mix of the kid themselves, and the parents. I've known a few that are awkward (but I've know plenty that went to regular schools that were too), and I've known plenty that were fine, and many home-schooled kids who were much better informed and smarter than their peers (all of these were kids who followed a secular curriculum).

Sadly, I've known more assholes that come from the public school system than anywhere else. Same goes for critical thinking. I work in higher education and most of the younger students I see can't write papers, can't think critically for themselves, are selfish little pricks..BUT they can take a test and do well even if they can't do much else without being told.

EWOK
11-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Go to Homeschool Legal Defense (HSLDA) they can give you information about your state laws and resources.

vailpass
11-12-2017, 03:01 PM
It seems sad to think of all the interaction home schooled kids miss out on. I get that parents try to manufacture that interaction for their home schooled kids but it seems like it's not the same in the large majority of the cases.

EWOK
11-12-2017, 03:01 PM
My wife and I have already graduated 1 , next year will be #2, the third is still in being home schooled.

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 06:28 PM
It seems sad to think of all the interaction home schooled kids miss out on. I get that parents try to manufacture that interaction for their home schooled kids but it seems like it's not the same in the large majority of the cases.

I know what you mean, but remember there is also other interactions that they miss out on that are a good thing.

cosmo20002
11-12-2017, 06:33 PM

Jesus freaks.

cosmo20002
11-12-2017, 06:35 PM

What is it that you don't like?

BigRedChief
11-12-2017, 06:54 PM
I've never met a normal home school kid. Connections and socialization are almost more important than learning in a classI coached little league baseball and football teams for over 10 years. I didn't have a single home schooled kid bond with his teammates. They were all lacking in basic kid skills to get along with the other kids. When to kid, be serious and just make small talk with the other kids. That's just my experience.

vailpass
11-12-2017, 07:20 PM
I know what you mean, but remember there is also other interactions that they miss out on that are a good thing.

Yeah that's probably true as well.

lewdog
11-12-2017, 07:28 PM

You can't shelter kids from dumbassery their entire life.

It's about learning to make choices.

jspchief
11-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Any of you all have any experience with particular programs or person information/incite it would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully mom is doing the teaching.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lewdog
11-12-2017, 08:34 PM

ROFL

Great catch.

ROFL

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 09:05 PM
This
My stepmother is going to assist us 3 days a week. She is a retired teacher. Also every Friday there is a....meeting or group teaching session that has a average attendance of 25 students and then their parent or parents.
Over half of those parents all are doing this for religious type reasons and don't mind mentioning that they believe that religion should be one of the topics on the Friday meetings which it is not and I hope it stays that way.

Jewish Rabbi
11-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Gets really weird when a homeschooled kid fucks his teacher.

Pablo
11-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Gets really weird when a homeschooled kid fucks his teacher.

How else are they supposed to teach sex ed?

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Home schooling in 2017 is for weirdos

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2017, 09:18 PM

This

Good grief, socializing is as important as the actual education

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Home schooling in 2017 is for weirdos

I guess that is why it is growing faster than ever. It would have nothing to do with our failing education system.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2017, 09:24 PM
I guess that is why it is growing faster than ever. It would have nothing to do with our failing education system.

The education system isn’t failing. That’s fucking bullshit.

If you have time to home school, good for you.

The rest of us are making money.

This isn’t the 1800’s

EWOK
11-12-2017, 09:37 PM
While there is always exceptions to the rule but studies have shown most home schooled students are at least 2 grade levels ahead of their public schooled peers. Many home school children have more of a social life then public school students because their school day is shorter.
Living in Arizona our public schools rank at the bottom so anybody with a heartbeat can do a better job of teaching and with parents that are investing into their children who better to educate them.

Chief Roundup
11-12-2017, 09:48 PM
The education system isn’t failing. That’s fucking bullshit.

If you have time to home school, good for you.

The rest of us are making money.

This isn’t the 1800’s

How many kids do you have in public schools?
Have you even looked at any of the reasons that there is between 2.1 million to 4 million, depending on which site numbers you believe, home school students in the US?
Did you know that since 2002 the numbers of home schooled students have increased between 7 to 15% each year? But yeah the system isn't failing, people are just doing this for some stupid uneducated reason.

You go ahead and make money more important then the education of children if that is what makes you feel good. For most people money is very tertiary in the realm of importance.
I am fortunate enough to have the ability to provide a better education for my child than what most public schools can, along with removing a lot of the negativity that comes with those settings.
It would be nice if going to school was only about educating students and preparing them for the rest of their lives like it should be about.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2017, 09:55 PM
My kids are in charter schools and will be in magnet or private schools in middle and high.

My oldest tested off the charts her first year.

If you don’t trust you private schools, move or go private.

KCUnited
11-13-2017, 06:25 AM
We just have our little ones listen to Joe Rogan's podcast and call it a day.