PDA

View Full Version : Football Roger Goodell reportedly requests $50 million salary, lifetime private jet...

T-post Tom
11-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Either he's lost his mind, this report is false or he really doesn't want the job anymore.

Roger Goodell reportedly requests $50 million salary, lifetime private jet in contract talks

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell reportedly has requested nearly $50 million per year in addition to the lifetime use of a private jet amid contract negotiations with the league.

Goodell, whose proposed contract with the NFL currently is undergoing an approval process, asked the league’s compensation committee in August to raise his salary from $30 million to $49.5 million per year, ESPN reported Sunday.

Goodell also reportedly asked to use a private jet for life, and also requested lifetime health insurance for his family.

The commissioner currently is embattled with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who has threatened to sue the NFL if negotiations regarding Goodell’s contract extension are finalized without approval from all NFL team owners.

An unnamed NFL owner told ESPN that there are “several owners in this league who don’t make $40 million a year.” The owner added: “That number for Roger just seems too much. It’s offensive. It’s unseemly.”

Goodell has made headlines in recent months for his handling of league players protesting during the national anthem ahead of NFL games.

He said last month that “we want our players to stand” during the anthem, but stopped short of imposing a rule for players to do so.

One team owner, regarding the possibility Goodell possibly would leave his position, said “the problem” with the NFL is “no one is talking about games anymore.”

“It’s about concussions, Jones vs. Goodell, [Ezekiel Elliott’s suspension], the anthem. No one is talking about football. It’s just killing the game,” the owner told ESPN.

Another owner told the sports network that “Roger is defiant,” and they don’t believe he’ll “take a pay cut” or resign as commissioner of the NFL.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/11/12/roger-goodell-reportedly-requests-50-million-salary-lifetime-private-jet-in-contract-talks.html

Molitoth
11-12-2017, 10:37 PM
He's a turd.

Flush him.

TribalElder
11-12-2017, 10:38 PM
The Clarks already have a jet

The Clarks are now hired

GloucesterChief
11-12-2017, 10:39 PM
Hell, they can pay me 10 mill per year and just give me business class. I am available to take the job. Can't do worse than Goodell has.

Reerun_KC
11-12-2017, 10:40 PM
The Clarks already have a jet

The Clarks are now hired

It’s a nice citation X. Based at ft worth.

Pasta Little Brioni
11-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Fucking embarrassing that he will get that

tk13
11-12-2017, 10:41 PM
I really don't think a new commissioner is going to fix any of those issues. Certainly not going to make the concussion issue go away. Really all of these things are issues that go beyond the actual game. Gonna be hard for any commissioner to turn the attention back to the game when the quality of play has decreased like it has.

GloucesterChief
11-12-2017, 10:45 PM
I really don't think a new commissioner is going to fix any of those issues. Certainly not going to make the concussion issue go away. Really all of these things are issues that go beyond the actual game. Gonna be hard for any commissioner to turn the attention back to the game when the quality of play has decreased like it has.

GCs plan to make the NFL better:

1) Thursday night football is shitcanned.
2) London games are shitcanned.
3) Mexico games are okay.
4) Start a week earlier and include an additional bye week into the schedule.
5) More practice time for the above concession to the Players union.
6) Start pink slipping refs and the people in charge of reffing. They are either incompetent or committing fraud. Must restore confidence in the brand.
7) Find a way to end the Patriots dynasty. It has become toxic to the league.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Why not?

Simply Red
11-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Why not?

what do you mean Dane? I srsly don't know - Just expand on that. Not being funny here.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2017, 11:05 PM
what do you mean Dane? I srsly don't know - Just expand on that. Not being funny here.

Ask for everything

Iowanian
11-12-2017, 11:11 PM
He's an absolute turn and has a lot of responsibility for the decline of this league. He should be replaced.

cabletech94
11-12-2017, 11:51 PM
isn't this the american dream? go for everything?

Randallflagg
11-12-2017, 11:58 PM
I'll take the job for 5 million a year and NO private jet. Actually, what the hell does this guy really do except open the draft each year?

Hammock Parties
11-13-2017, 12:12 AM
Condi Rice needs to be commissioner.

She loves the game.

Hell, she's a fucking Browns fan. You have to be a cool person to claim that franchise.

Roger just loves himself.

His ego is out of control.

teedubya
11-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Roger Goodell can eat a bag of dicks.

philfree
11-13-2017, 12:52 AM
Crank the props and get out the banners. Fans should voice their opinion of Roger.

Pointer19
11-13-2017, 02:54 AM

6) Start pink slipping refs and the people in charge of reffing. They are either incompetent or committing fraud. Must restore confidence in the brand.

You're hired. You'll have to shitcan Gloucester while you're at it and come live in the states.

cooper barrett
11-13-2017, 03:21 AM
I found the perfect replacement.

A savings of 49,999,990.00 per year, uses FedEx for travel, and doesn't need health care.

Makes logical, clear decisions.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Crystal_Project_magic8ball.png

ForeverChiefs58
11-13-2017, 06:57 AM
They are reporting that Goodell is thinking of having Jerry Jones brought up on conduct detrimental to the league. It would mean a $500,000 fine and forfeiture of the cowboys franchise.

Can’t believe that would ever happen. If that were to ever happen, there would be riots

ForeverChiefs58
11-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Jerry Jones Forfeiting Cowboys Reportedly Discussed by Owners over Goodell Saga

NFL owners have reportedly brought up the idea of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones forfeiting the franchise.

On Sunday, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk cited a league source who said "multiple owners already have been discussing the possibility, which flows from Article VIII of the NFL's Constitution and Bylaws."

One of the sections of the article allows the commissioner to essentially force the forfeiture of a team if the owner "has been or is guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the league or professional football" and a $500,000 fine is deemed "not adequate or sufficient."

Florio granted such a move "would trigger years of litigation" and explained the notion of applying it to Jones specifically "comes from the belief among owners that Jones instigated Papa John's CEO John Schnatter to disparage the NFL, blaming league leadership for ratings declines and, in turn, a reduction in Papa John's revenues."

The news comes after a period of time when Jones' name and the Cowboys were in plenty of NFL headlines.

His team's star running back, Ezekiel Elliott, started his six-game suspension stemming from a domestic violence investigation Sunday during Dallas' 27-7 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. The ongoing case has been litigated throughout the NFL season and will continue to be moving forward.

Jones also weighed in on the notion of players protesting police brutality and racial inequality by kneeling during the national anthem, saying anyone who "disrespects the flag" will not be allowed to play, per Mike Finger of the San Antonio Express-News.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported the comments triggered a team meeting.
According to Jeff Darlington of ESPN, Jones didn't even speak with Falcons owner Arthur Blank before Sunday's contest. Clarence E. Hill Jr. and Drew Davison of the Star-Telegram noted Blank—who SportsDay said is the compensation committee chairman for owners who will decide on Roger Goodell's potential contract extension—and Jones "are at odds" regarding the extension.

Hill and Davison said "Jones threatened to sue the league" and "contends that Blank has misled owners about having the unanimous approval of the six-man committee to extend Goodell."

https://apple.news/Azqh_kiOTTTOalID2HARNnQ

Rain Man
11-13-2017, 07:37 AM
I bet he's throwing that onto the table and hoping to meet in the middle somewhere.

In fairness to his stance, it would be stressful to have a job where you're reviled because you do such bad work. The draft should be the most fun part of his job, and he rightfully gets booed every time he steps onto the stage.

B_Ambuehl
11-13-2017, 07:46 AM
Does the league even need a head honcho commissioner? What can Goodell get done that a committee of owners can't get done on their own? You can have various departments whose responsibility is taking care of issues within their department. I guess I just really don't even see the need for his position, nevermind whether he actually does a good job.

Dayze
11-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Does the league even need a head honcho commissioner? What can Goodell get done that a committee of owners can't get done on their own? You can have various departments whose responsibility is taking care of issues within their department. I guess I just really don't even see the need for his position, nevermind whether he actually does a good job.

I think his position is just there to absorb all the body blows from the media and fans so the owners don't have to. To the owners, that's worth $30+million a year. IMO.

Skyy God
11-13-2017, 11:30 AM
So he wants a guaranteed contract and lifetime health insurance, neither of which are provided to the players?

Lotta balls on that ginger a-hole.

Iowanian
11-13-2017, 12:00 PM
who is goodell's new agent? Lavar Ball?

BleedingRed
11-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Jerry Jones Forfeiting Cowboys Reportedly Discussed by Owners over Goodell Saga

NFL owners have reportedly brought up the idea of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones forfeiting the franchise.

On Sunday, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk cited a league source who said "multiple owners already have been discussing the possibility, which flows from Article VIII of the NFL's Constitution and Bylaws."

One of the sections of the article allows the commissioner to essentially force the forfeiture of a team if the owner "has been or is guilty of conduct detrimental to the welfare of the league or professional football" and a $500,000 fine is deemed "not adequate or sufficient."

Florio granted such a move "would trigger years of litigation" and explained the notion of applying it to Jones specifically "comes from the belief among owners that Jones instigated Papa John's CEO John Schnatter to disparage the NFL, blaming league leadership for ratings declines and, in turn, a reduction in Papa John's revenues."

The news comes after a period of time when Jones' name and the Cowboys were in plenty of NFL headlines.

His team's star running back, Ezekiel Elliott, started his six-game suspension stemming from a domestic violence investigation Sunday during Dallas' 27-7 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. The ongoing case has been litigated throughout the NFL season and will continue to be moving forward.

Jones also weighed in on the notion of players protesting police brutality and racial inequality by kneeling during the national anthem, saying anyone who "disrespects the flag" will not be allowed to play, per Mike Finger of the San Antonio Express-News.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported the comments triggered a team meeting.
According to Jeff Darlington of ESPN, Jones didn't even speak with Falcons owner Arthur Blank before Sunday's contest. Clarence E. Hill Jr. and Drew Davison of the Star-Telegram noted Blank—who SportsDay said is the compensation committee chairman for owners who will decide on Roger Goodell's potential contract extension—and Jones "are at odds" regarding the extension.

Hill and Davison said "Jones threatened to sue the league" and "contends that Blank has misled owners about having the unanimous approval of the six-man committee to extend Goodell."

https://apple.news/Azqh_kiOTTTOalID2HARNnQ

Next on things that will never happen............. You'd think the NFL would have done this to Al Davis... Yet they didn't

Not to mention Jerry Jones would have no problem bringing all the skeletons out of the closet.

T-post Tom
11-13-2017, 12:56 PM
I bet he's throwing that onto the table and hoping to meet in the middle somewhere.

In fairness to his stance, it would be stressful to have a job where you're reviled because you do such bad work. The draft should be the most fun part of his job, and he rightfully gets booed every time he steps onto the stage.

The booing is bad optics for the NFL. A legacy of having it in NY all those years. Funny initially, but now just bad PR.

Best case scenario for the NFL: Put the commissioner behind the scenes on draft day. Take a cue from the Hollywood awards shows: hire celebrities (including ex-players/coaches) to carry the water on stage. America loves celebrities, right? Would imagine there are many celebrities wanting the exposure. Lots of NFL fans in the entertainment business. Keep the analysts, they have their place between picks. The actual on-stage format could be done in any number of ways. Main thing is to get someone up there that is actually liked and won't be booed. Just DO NOT hire the Weinstein Company to produce it.

Bwana
11-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Seems reasonable.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3k0dxzUQoj984/giphy.gif (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiOmKH9nrzXAhUQ2mMKHVqOAvUQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgiphy.com%2Fgifs%2Fban-3k0dxzUQoj984&psig=AOvVaw3IBdj6l5JVROah2WSl1CoX&ust=1510686248655635)

TIED5573
11-13-2017, 01:33 PM
You're only worth what they are willing to pay you, and if you don't ask, no one knows what you want. That said, there is probably someone else just as qualified who would take it for less than 50 mil. I'm thinking at least half of the people on this board.

Marcellus
11-13-2017, 01:59 PM
I cant imagine its worth $50MM to the owners for anyone to do that job.

In comparison, DeMaurice Smith makes about $3MM per year from what I can find.

Beef Supreme
11-13-2017, 02:01 PM
I want 50 million and a private jet, too. Make it so.

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2017, 02:08 PM
I cant imagine its worth $50MM to the owners for anyone to do that job.

He's in charge of a $9 BILLION DOLLAR+ per year enterprise.

That alone makes his salary worth at least $32 million per, which breaks down into $1 million per team.

If I was his agent, I'd be asking for $50 million per as well.

You can't get it if you don't ask for it.

wazu
11-13-2017, 02:19 PM
I want 50 million and a private jet, too. Make it so.

If you think you are incompetent enough, give Arthur Blank a call.

cooper barrett
11-13-2017, 02:58 PM
The booing is bad optics for the NFL. A legacy of having it in NY all those years. Funny initially, but now just bad PR.

Best case scenario for the NFL: Put the commissioner behind the scenes on draft day. Take a cue from the Hollywood awards shows: hire celebrities (including ex-players/coaches) to carry the water on stage. America loves celebrities, right? Would imagine there are many celebrities wanting the exposure. Lots of NFL fans in the entertainment business. Keep the analysts, they have their place between picks. The actual on-stage format could be done in any number of ways. Main thing is to get someone up there that is actually liked and won't be booed. Just DO NOT hire the Weinstein Company to produce it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/685934991893659648/YMK6VxAV.jpg

T-post Tom
11-13-2017, 03:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/685934991893659648/YMK6VxAV.jpg

Nice pic. Pretty sure he's used up his street cred with NFL fans after his abysmal run at calling games. Thankfully, announcing draft picks at the NFL draft is nowhere near analogous to calling a game. That said, there's a certain percentage of current announcers that would probably be very popular as presenters at the draft. Some others not so popular. The NFL needs likeable people that would add value to the broadcast. Rodger Goodell, it could be argued, has not been adding value to the broadcast.

Dayze
11-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Joe Buck should announce the picks.

~

T-post Tom
11-13-2017, 03:07 PM

~

You good sir, are a rabble-rouser. :)

TinyEvel
11-13-2017, 03:32 PM

That's actually not a bad idea. The NFL is an entertainment property. they should hire someone from Hollywood, or a huge global marketing CEO to run the league.

If this was the business world: Sales are down, brand equity is down, operations are suffering. The CEO would be shitcanned months ago. Not be asking for a 70% pay increase and lifetime mile high club.

gblowfish
11-13-2017, 03:34 PM
I'll do it for half that plus a private bus.

Dayze
11-13-2017, 03:43 PM
I'd be happy with just seeing who the picks are via a scrolling ticker as they happen. or on a big screen etc. Just let the "analysts" talk about players etc, then when a pick is in, just flash it on a big screen .

if the NFL were to enlist a celebrity to make the picks, or athletes, etc...I think it would just turn into more of a turd than it already is. You'd have some of the idiot old Raiders and Cowboys making fools of themselves....then others would have to one-up them.

I never thought it would be possible for the NFL to mess up the draft, but they've managed to do it the last 3 years or so.

Rain Man
11-13-2017, 03:44 PM

I really like it when they bring the former players out to make the picks, so let's do the math.

Option 1. Former Player Announcements. They already have one former NFL player at each draft announcing the second round. If you added one more for each of the other six rounds, that would be 192 players. Assume $1,500 for business class airfare, $1,500 for hotel, $1,000 for food, $500 for incidentals, and a $1,000 honorarium, and you end up with a total cost of $1,056,000.

Option 2. Have Goodell do it. At a $50 million salary, the league's cost for him to attend the three-day draft is $600,000. Add in the private jet time and benefits and it's probably $650,000.

So we need to save about $400,000 to use players instead of Roger. That means we can afford 110 players. Would anyone mind if each player announced two rounds? You could also have fans announce a round or two.

ChiliConCarnage
11-13-2017, 03:59 PM
if the NFL were to enlist a celebrity to make the picks, or athletes, etc...I think it would just turn into more of a turd than it already is. You'd have some of the idiot old Raiders and Cowboys making fools of themselves....then others would have to one-up them.

I never thought it would be possible for the NFL to mess up the draft, but they've managed to do it the last 3 years or so.

Don't former NFL players announce the second round picks every year?

T-post Tom
11-13-2017, 04:02 PM
I really like it when they bring the former players out to make the picks, so let's do the math.

Option 1. Former Player Announcements. They already have one former NFL player at each draft announcing the second round. If you added one more for each of the other six rounds, that would be 192 players. Assume $1,500 for business class airfare, $1,500 for hotel, $1,000 for food, $500 for incidentals, and a $1,000 honorarium, and you end up with a total cost of $1,056,000.

Option 2. Have Goodell do it. At a $50 million salary, the league's cost for him to attend the three-day draft is $600,000. Add in the private jet time and benefits and it's probably $650,000.

So we need to save about $400,000 to use players instead of Roger. That means we can afford 110 players. Would anyone mind if each player announced two rounds? You could also have fans announce a round or two.

Not one to one. Time to get a bigger frying pan. Viewership would go up w/o Goodell. Higher ratings = higher tv revenue. Work with SB half-time stars on a package gig to do the SB & the next draft. Justin Timberlake with a 3 song set before the the draft. Maybe have a cameo wardrobe malfunction with Janet Jackson (Alternates: Kate Hudson/Lady Gaga/Beyonce). Get a new demographic watching the draft and throw in some gratuitous cleavage and nipples for the horny hard core NFL fan. Maybe have a Goodelll look-alike in a dunk tank. A lucky audience member gets to come up and dunk him every half-round. Channel your inner Charlie Finley and go crazy... (BTW, if games go PPV, this may be the only free NFL broadcast left.)

Rain Man
11-13-2017, 04:06 PM
Time to get a bigger frying pan. Viewership would go up w/o Goodell. Higher ratings = higher tv revenue. Work with SB half-time stars on a package gig to do the SB & the next draft. Justin Timberlake with a 3 song set before the the draft. Maybe have a cameo wardrobe malfunction with Janet Jackson (Alternates: Kate Hudson/Lady Gaga/Beyonce). Get a new demographic watching the draft and throw in some gratuitous cleavage and nipples for the horny hard core NFL fan. Maybe have a Goodelll look-alike in a dunk tank. A lucky audience member gets to come up and dunk him every half-round. Channel your inner Charlie Finley and go crazy...

#1 pick. A-list Celebrity.
1st round - Former players with 5+ years in the league.
2nd round - B list celebrities.
3rd round - Fans.
4th round - Former players with less than 5 years in the league.
5th round - Stunts, acrobatics, and feats of derringdo.
6th round - Trained dogs.
7th round - Random people on the street who are handed envelopes with names.

T-post Tom
11-13-2017, 04:08 PM
3rd round - Fans.

You are a marketing genius. Don't let those talents go untapped. The NFL needs you.

Rain Man
11-13-2017, 04:14 PM
You are a marketing genius. Don't let those talents go untapped. The NFL needs you.

I worry, though, that I forgot to include NFL cheerleaders. Maybe they should replace the random people in the 7th round to give fans something to anticipate.

cooper barrett
11-13-2017, 04:19 PM

~

Joe buck puts me to sleep, I sear the guys idea of excitement is watching the grass grow. I swear I always thought Costas and him were a couple.

Remember his HBO talk show? This is classic: Artie Lange's appearance on premier of Joe Buck Live)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cWaz-LvTfIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cooper barrett
11-13-2017, 04:22 PM
3rd round - Fans.

You forgot to spotlight the substance and domestic abuse stars of the NFL.

Cornstock
11-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Condi Rice needs to be commissioner.

She loves the game.

Hell, she's a ****ing Browns fan. You have to be a cool person to claim that franchise.

Roger just loves himself.

His ego is out of control.

She is incredibly qualified, and a sports fan to boot. First woman to be granted membership to Augusta National iirc.

She checks a lot of PR boxes, but the fact that she is a conservative might put a target on her back for the media.

Rain Man
11-13-2017, 04:24 PM
You forgot to spotlight the substance and domestic abuse stars of the NFL.

Clearly, they're doing the compensatory picks.

big nasty kcnut
11-13-2017, 04:25 PM
I liked dennis miller on monday night football.

cooper barrett
11-13-2017, 04:34 PM
https://nypdecider.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/triumph-insult-comic-dog-hulu-special.png

cooper barrett
11-13-2017, 04:38 PM
She is incredibly qualified, and a sports fan to boot. First woman to be granted membership to Augusta National iirc. Fear of civil rights ligation.

She checks a lot of PR boxes, but the fact that she is a conservative might put a target on her back for the media.

Plus she can lie to your face and never raise her BP a millibar. Perfect as commish.

T-post Tom
11-13-2017, 04:41 PM
I worry, though, that I forgot to include NFL cheerleaders. Maybe they should replace the random people in the 7th round to give fans something to anticipate.

Yes. I'm pretty sure sex still sells. Still missing something.... emails? Russians? Maybe some Russian cheerleaders?

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/20090528/cheerleaders_08.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EHUiUFjlAag/Ro13LBUhecI/AAAAAAAAABw/vhMavOn_Wwk/s400/80126051.0v4dqaJV.DSC_4262editedlevelscolorsfilter.jpg

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/20090528/cheerleaders_21.jpg

Easy 6
11-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Jones is sabotaging Goodell for selfish reasons, but at this point I don't care... there are plenty of valid, non-selfish reasons to wanna see that jackass take a hike

What other sports commissioner is lustily booed every time he shows his face at one of his leagues events?

He is despised for good reason, saying that he is just a puppet for the owners doesnt tell the whole story

Hoover
11-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Roger is out of control.

His pay alone is over the top. I mean I struggle with the idea of having to pay a commissioner 10 million a year. I mean isn't 27k a day enough? Plus there are huge perks to the job already built into it.

I have no problem with the NFL owning a private jet or two, and letting the Commish use it for personal use a couple times a year, but Christ if you are making 50 million a year, you can and should be paying your own freight.

cooper barrett
11-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Yes. I'm pretty sure sex still sells. Still missing something.... emails? Russians? Maybe some Russian cheerleaders?

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/20090528/cheerleaders_08.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EHUiUFjlAag/Ro13LBUhecI/AAAAAAAAABw/vhMavOn_Wwk/s400/80126051.0v4dqaJV.DSC_4262editedlevelscolorsfilter.jpg

I am always glad to see them come prepared, knee pads

notorious
11-13-2017, 05:33 PM
We should have a filter that changes "Goodell" to "The Owners".

WhiteWhale
11-13-2017, 05:37 PM

Sabotaging franchises is not going to help the NFL's popularity at all.

The last thing fans want is to know the NFL is deciding who wins and who loses.

cooper barrett
11-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Sabotaging franchises is not going to help the NFL's popularity at all.

The last thing fans want is to know the NFL is deciding who wins and who loses.
I do wonder if Goodell bets the games.

notorious
11-13-2017, 05:51 PM
I do wonder if Goodell bets the games.

Why else would he need the raise?

MahiMike
11-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Really not much of a raise. Was making$42m

Red Dawg
11-13-2017, 07:59 PM
He needs health insurance? Hes made 200 million but needs health insuranc. Lol

Rain Man
11-13-2017, 09:13 PM
He needs health insurance? Hes made 200 million but needs health insuranc. Lol

They should give him a plan with a really high copay.

tk13
11-13-2017, 10:49 PM
What other sports commissioner is lustily booed every time he shows his face at one of his leagues events?

To be fair, Gary Bettman wishes he got the reception Goodell gets at NFL events.

TribalElder
11-13-2017, 11:17 PM
50 million and a lifetime private jet

Damn

I wonder what the penalty is when the commissioner is obviously violating the substance abuse policy

Rain Man
11-13-2017, 11:18 PM
To be fair, Gary Bettman wishes he got the reception Goodell gets at NFL events.

What did Bettman do? And who is he?

Dayze
11-14-2017, 08:04 AM
apparently $50M / year is the going rate to ruin a sport.

jjchieffan
11-14-2017, 10:34 AM
I really hope that the league let's him walk. Surely they will. Right? I mean, the league is all about profits and Godawful is currently overseeing the league drop drastically in popularity. That's not good for profits. Why on Earth would 32 billionaires vote to keep a baffoon like him around? Get rid of him and bring in someone with a brain.

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 10:43 AM
I really hope that the league let's him walk. Surely they will. Right? I mean, the league is all about profits and Godawful is currently overseeing the league drop drastically in popularity. That's not good for profits. Why on Earth would 32 billionaires vote to keep a baffoon like him around? Get rid of him and bring in someone with a brain.

This is complete and utter nonsense.

Goodell doesn't make the rules. The Competition Committee makes the rules and the owners vote to pass them. Goodell doesn't decide which teams can move and which teams have to stay in their current cities. That's up to the owners.

Goodell doesn't negotiate TV deals. Goodell doesn't deal with advertising (that's up to the networks).

There is no "drastic drop in popularity". That's complete bullshit. TV ratings are DOWN across the board due to steaming and DVR options along with cord cutters. NFL games are still, by a wide margin, the biggest draw on TV.

Goodell is just the face of the owners. A new face will change nothing.