PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink -- Culver's is wildly underrated. Coastal bias?

Pages : [1] 2

carcosa
11-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Can we discuss this? Culver's has perhaps the best fast food burger in the country, but I never hear it get the hype that other semi-regional chains like In-n-Out (west coast) and Shake Shack (east coast) do. They also have excellent onion rings, amazing cheese curds, proprietary root beer, and of course the frozen custard.

Look, In-n-Out burgers are great. Shake Shack burgers are fine, too. But ButterBurgers blow 'em both out of the water, if you ask me. Tastes fresh and feels good. I think this is another instance of the freaking lamestream media on the left coast and freaking big city fat cats in "Poo York Shitty" not giving a hardworking midwestern brand its due.

Please share your thoughts and any Culver's experiences you've had.

Thanks.

Frazod
11-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Culver's rocks. Biggest problem is they're about as slow as fast food can be and still be called fast. But the food is worth the wait.

ModSocks
11-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Last i checked CNN wasn't into the burger covering business.

Anywho....

"America has a new burger king.

Its name is Five Guys.

This is according to The Harris Poll’s annual EquiTrend Study, which ranks American food chains on quality, likelihood of purchase and familiarity.

In-N-Out Burger, which led the list over the past two years, fell to the second spot, according to the rankings.

Shake Shack, Wendy’s and Culver’s rounded out the top five burger spots, CBS reported.

Here’s a quick glance at the top 10.

1. Five Guys Burgers and Fries

2. In-N-Out Burger

3. Shake Shack

4. Wendy’s

5. Culver’s

6. Whataburger

7. McDonald’s

8. Sonic America’s Drive-In

9. Smashburger

10. Steak ’n Shake

Some popular joints ranked below average, though. Major franchises like Burger King, Carl’s Jr., DQ Grill & Chill and Jack in the Box all earned scores below the category’s average, according to the Harris Poll."

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:02 AM
Culver's rocks. Biggest problem is they're about as slow as fast food can be and still be called fast. But the food is worth the wait.

Thank you. I agree that they take their sweet time. Perhaps not the best option when you're in a big rush, but I love that they cook everything to order and use fresh ingredients.

Jewish Rabbi
11-14-2017, 11:02 AM
So Carcosa and Simply Red are the same person then.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 11:03 AM
They're good - Steak & Shake is close enough to them that they're actually the better value - coming in almost 50% cheaper.

I did try Cook Out last week, Big Double Cheddar Style.

Jewish Rabbi
11-14-2017, 11:03 AM
I’ve gotten sick from eating at two different Culver’s. Never again.

loochy
11-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Some popular joints ranked below average, though. Major franchises like Burger King, Carl’s Jr., DQ Grill & Chill and Jack in the Box all earned scores below the category’s average, according to the Harris Poll."

How in the hell are any of those ranked BELOW McDonalds?
Posted via Mobile Device

alpha_omega
11-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Their fish sandwich was outstanding, but it was $$$.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 11:07 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fIZAMn1VBZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 11:08 AM
I've never eaten at a Culver's, as they don't have any franchises in CA.

How In-N-Out Burger is ranked that high is baffling. Their fries are always soggy, they don't offer mayo (I can't stand 1,000 Island dressing) and their buns are chewy.

I've eaten at In-N-Out Burger once in 17 years and it'll be another 17 years (or more) before I eat there again.

Blech.

mnchiefsguy
How in the hell are any of those ranked BELOW McDonalds?
Posted via Mobile Device

No kidding..how is McDonald's rated ahead of Sonic,Smashburger, and Steak and Shake?

ptlyon
Title is incorrect. It should state "overrated" IMO.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:09 AM

Anywho....

Its name is Five Guys.

This is according to The Harris Poll’s annual EquiTrend Study, which ranks American food chains on quality, likelihood of purchase and familiarity.

In-N-Out Burger, which led the list over the past two years, fell to the second spot, according to the rankings.

Shake Shack, Wendy’s and Culver’s rounded out the top five burger spots, CBS reported.

2. In-N-Out Burger

3. Shake Shack

4. Wendy’s

5. Culver’s

6. Whataburger

7. McDonald’s

9. Smashburger

10. Steak ’n Shake

Interesting. I do really like everything in the top 5, although I generally get the Spicy Chicken Sandwich when I go to Wendy's. Shake Shack is fine, but does not live up to the hype. In-n-Out is very very good but not mindblowing. Smashburger at 9 is about right; they're unremarkable. McDonald's burgers taste pretty good but don't sit well in my stomach. I can't remember the last time I had a burger from Sonic or Steak n Shake. Never been to a Whataburger.

Surprised Hardee's/Carl's Junior scores so low. I haven't had them very often, but I recall their burgers being solid.

I might go:

1. Culver's
2. Five Guys
3. In-n-Out
4. Shake Shack
5. Wendy's
6. McDonald's
7. Smashburger

and then the rest are whatever I guess

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 11:09 AM

actually that sounds good - do you like LJS?

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:10 AM
I’ve gotten sick from eating at two different Culver’s. Never again.

Sorry to hear that. I always feel healthier after eating at Culver's.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Title is incorrect. It should state "overrated" IMO.

Hell no!!!!

ptlyon
11-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Arby's fish sandwich is superior Culvers' fish sandwich. Unfortunately, it's only seasonal for lent. At least here it is.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 11:11 AM

I think the fish sandwich is worth a whirl.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:12 AM
No kidding..how is McDonald's rated ahead of Sonic,Smashburger, and Steak and Shake?

McD's is great value with a classic taste.

Now that I recall... I have had a Sonic burger within the last 3-4 years. It's unremarkable. Like they're playing it safe. McDonald's, to their credit, goes big or goes home. And when it goes home, it's usually to the bathroom (to shit)

Smashburger is so blah that even though it was one of only a handful of interesting lunch options at work a while back, it ended up out of the rotation completely

Frazod
11-14-2017, 11:12 AM

Then you're doing it wrong. :D

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 11:13 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/niRYDiS1XtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:13 AM
I think the fish sandwich is worth a whirl.

Might cleanse the system.

ModSocks
11-14-2017, 11:14 AM

How In-N-Out Burger is ranked that high is baffling. Their fries are always soggy, they don't offer mayo (I can't stand 1,000 Island dressing) and their buns are chewy.

I've eaten at In-N-Out Burger once in 17 years and it'll be another 17 years (or more) before I eat there again.

Blech.

I don't understand the IN N Out phenomenon either. A burger with out bacon can never be the best burger.

Every time i'm craving In N Out, the line is enough to turn me right back around.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:16 AM

Blech.

I usually have to chekc my bag when I fly to California because I bring a large container of mayo for my in-n-out visits.

The fries definitely suck, even if you order them well done.

The burger itself, though, is very good IMHO

Dartgod
11-14-2017, 11:16 AM

Anywho....

Its name is Five Guys.

2. In-N-Out Burger

3. Shake Shack

4. Wendy’s

5. Culver’s

6. Whataburger

7. McDonald’s

9. Smashburger

10. Steak ’n Shake

I love me some Culver's. And in what world id McDonald's better than Steak 'n Shake and Freddy's?

Seriously, WTF?

ModSocks
11-14-2017, 11:17 AM
I love me some Culver's. And in what world id McDonald's better than Steak 'n Shake and Freddy's?

Seriously, WTF?

Sonic being up there is a bigger travesty. Sonic is good for shakes...that's it. Their food is awful.

Hydrae
11-14-2017, 11:18 AM

That is my preference when I go to Culver's. Sadly it has been a while though as there are none close to me.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Sonic being up there is a bigger travesty. Sonic is good for shakes...that's it. Their food is awful.

Love the Cherry Limeade, too.

Sonic's chicken products are decent. Popcorn chicken was my go-to for a while. Good mozz sticks as well. Definitely more of an apps 'n' drinks joint, for when you want a quick snack in the car.

Dartgod

I don't mind a Sonic burger now and then. But yeah, no way do they rank in the top 10.

SuperChief

Blech.

How can you say both of those and make any sort of sense?

Literally every trip I've ever taken to In-N-Out was fantastic. Quality of food was exceptional.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:21 AM
That is my preference when I go to Culver's. Sadly it has been a while though as there are none close to me.

Road trip!!!!

Shaid
11-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Yep, Culver's makes a tasty burger, definitely better than the other fast food I've had. I like 5 Guys as well. I don't remember exactly but I think Culver's beats it on price point.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Yep, Culver's makes a tasty burger, definitely better than the other fast food I've had. I like 5 Guys as well. I don't remember exactly but I think Culver's beats it on price point.

Yes. I think Five Guys is sort of in a tier above fast food anyway; it's half way between fast and fast casual (IMHO).

In pure burger terms, though, I still give Culver's the edge.

Dartgod

Literally every trip I've ever taken to In-N-Out was fantastic. Quality of food was exceptional.

Makes sense to me.

He ate there once
The fries were soggy the one time he ate there
Ipso facto, their fries are always soggy

KCUnited
Where do you guys rank Checkers? There's one somewhat near me but the neighborhood's a little sketch.

redfan
11-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Merely average.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Merely average.

Excuse me???????

Frazod
11-14-2017, 11:27 AM
I used to really like Sonic - until the one day I took my food home instead of eating it immediately. Holy shit, it was the greasiest burger I'd ever tasted. I couldn't even finish it. Absolutely disgusting. If you eat their burgers there, while they're fresh and hot, you don't notice it so much, but wait 10 or 15 minutes and it's just gross. I only ate there once after that experience, but by that point I was conscious of the grease factor and couldn't get past it. Haven't been back since.

Frazod
11-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Where do you guys rank Checkers? There's one somewhat near me but the neighborhood's a little sketch.

They seem to only exist in sketchy areas for some reason. The only ones left in the Chicago area are either close to the city or in bad areas of the city. I really liked the food when I ate there years ago, but not enough to tour the shooting gallery.

alpha_omega
11-14-2017, 11:29 AM
actually that sounds good - do you like LJS?

Meh...not especially. I would recommend their fish, it is small and overpriced....but tasty.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Not trying to be a wise ass - but literally ate there last night and it was awful. Used to be MUCH better.

Shaid
11-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Yes. I think Five Guys is sort of in a tier above fast food anyway; it's half way between fast and fast casual (IMHO).

In pure burger terms, though, I still give Culver's the edge.

yeah, I pretty much agree with all of that. I don't know if any of you guys have tried JL Beers, but damn they make a great burger. Probably the best I've ever had, at least if we're talking about a burger below 10 bucks.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Anyone ever been to Spangles? I think I went to one in Wichita over 10 years ago. Pretty sure it was bad. I just remember the awful commercials most of all!!!!

Rasputin
11-14-2017, 11:37 AM
I've never heard of Culver's. I opened the thread to find out what OP was talking about

Rasputin
11-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Anyone ever been to Spangles? I think I went to one in Wichita over 10 years ago. Pretty sure it was bad. I just remember the awful commercials most of all!!!!

M M M Mud slide

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:40 AM
I've never heard of Culver's. I opened the thread to find out what OP was talking about

Culver Franchising System, Inc., doing business as Culver's, is a privately owned and operated casual fast food restaurant chain that operates primarily in the Midwestern United States. The first Culver’s opened in 1984 in Sauk City, Wisconsin.[1] As of 17 October 2017, the chain had 638 restaurants across the United States, and 13 coming soon in 8 states.

KCUnited
11-14-2017, 11:45 AM
They seem to only exist in sketchy areas for some reason. The only ones left in the Chicago area are either close to the city or in bad areas of the city. I really liked the food when I ate there years ago, but not enough to tour the shooting gallery.

Yeah, this one butts up against Austin west of the city which I try not to mess with, but occasionally have to pass through. Looks like I'll keep on passing.

Not trying to be a wise ass - but literally ate there last night and it was awful. Used to be MUCH better.

Dang, that's disappointing to hear. I enjoyed the one on Linwood in KC before it became a Chinese place.

Rasputin
11-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Culver Franchising System, Inc., doing business as Culver's, is a privately owned and operated casual fast food restaurant chain that operates primarily in the Midwestern United States. The first Culver’s opened in 1984 in Sauk City, Wisconsin.[1] As of 17 October 2017, the chain had 638 restaurants across the United States, and 13 coming soon in 8 states.

Kansas is always behind the times. Maybe we will get one. I love Whataburger but it's wishful thinking ever get one in Kansas. I'd love it if Witchita would get one I'm only about 160 miles away.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 11:49 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xMhFleVGknQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Yeah, this one butts up against Austin west of the city which I try not to mess with, but occasionally have to pass through. Looks like I'll keep on passing.

Dang, that's disappointing to hear. I enjoyed the one on Linwood in KC before it became a Chinese place.

Yeah they used to be very good.

How are Texas Tom's burgers, these days?

Frazod
11-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Basically an upscale, much better Dairy Queen, with frozen custard instead of ice cream.

These frozen custard places originated in Wisconsin. I was first exposed to them when I was stationed up at Great Lakes and spent quite a bit of time in Milwaukee in the late 80s. Before they started opening Culver's in the area, the wife and I would on rare occasion drive up to Milwaukee just to get frozen custard.

Fun fact: the drive-in that was the inspiration for Arnold's in Happy Days was a frozen custard place.

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Because I'd tried it multiple times before 2000 and had the same exact experience.

There are SO many better choices in SoCal including Tommy's Original Burgers (currently my favorite), Astro Burger and Fatburger.

In-N-Out is garbage, IMO.

Pitt Gorilla
11-14-2017, 12:03 PM
Culver's is outstanding. My go-to burger.

redfan
11-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Excuse me???????

You heard me. I've been there twice, not impressed. Equal to McD's or BK.

KCUnited
11-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Yeah they used to be very good.

How are Texas Tom's burgers, these days?

The last one I had (Feb '17), I'd equate to a fresh Sonic burger. More flat and wide than vertical, with shredded lettuce and onion mixed in. Just a'ight.

Titty Meat
11-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Culvers is trash

Simply Red
Checkers = Bad now
Hardees = not so good either
BK = ****ing dog shit
McDonalds - A fresh Big Mac twice per year is good - decent fries and Fillet O Fish
Steak and Shake = great - best all around deal to quality
Culvers = very good
Sonic = Underrated - locations determines a lot with them.
Whataburger = Solid
SmashBurger = way over rated - inflated price
Five Guys = very good.
In & Out = over rated - but decent enough - Hi Boy is better
Wendy's = the median

Simply Red
The last one I had (Feb '17), I'd equate to a fresh Sonic burger. More flat and wide than vertical, with shredded lettuce and onion mixed in. Just a'ight.

just a nice background when there's all of the other stuff there. :)

KCUnited
11-14-2017, 12:17 PM
just a nice background when there's all of the other stuff there. :)

Pretty much. I will say though, I've never gotten anything that wasn't fresh off the griddle or right out of the fryer at TT. No matter what time of night. I used to tell the ladies to hold the tots out the window for minute before feeding them to me on the way back to the crib.

Frosty
11-14-2017, 12:25 PM
I've never heard of Culver's, so there's my coastal bias.

TLO
11-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Checkers = Bad now
Hardees = not so good either
BK = ****ing dog shit
McDonalds - A fresh Big Mac twice per year is good - decent fries and Fillet O Fish
Steak and Shake = great - best all around deal to quality
Culvers = very good
Sonic = Underrated - locations determines a lot with them.
Whataburger = Solid
SmashBurger = way over rated - inflated price
Five Guys = very good.
In & Out = over rated - but decent enough - Hi Boy is better
Wendy's = the median

Every time I get a Big Mac I'm disappointed for some reason. It always let's me down for some reason. :(

KCUnited
11-14-2017, 12:31 PM
I really need to try Steak 'n Shake.

displacedinMN
11-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Culvers is great. Tenderloin is top notch. Cheese curds are too.

They offer a gluten free bun-which is great for my kid. We have been eating there a lot.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 12:39 PM
I think I will try the cod sammy next Culver's visit - I don't trust that guy doing the review - he doesn't seem too smart. Additionally why not just order extra tartar sauce? and you notice he didn't add any black pepper - dude's his own worst enemy.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 12:40 PM
I really need to try Steak 'n Shake.

if you do, order the #17 triple - it's $4 with fries no drink but they'll give you a giant cup of ice water if you ask. also add cheese - it's like .86 cents - you'll be stuffed for the rest of the day on under $5

carcosa
11-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Kansas is always behind the times. Maybe we will get one. I love Whataburger but it's wishful thinking ever get one in Kansas. I'd love it if Witchita would get one I'm only about 160 miles away.

Where in Kansas are you? There are a couple in Olathe and Overland Park. Solid locations. Looks like there's one in Lawrence now, though I've never been. I suppose those are all out of your range. I've also been to Culver's in Colorado, Iowa, Michigan, and even the original location in Wisconsin, as well as a location in Green Bay and the world's largest Culver's. I may have also been to Culver's in Missouri, Illinois, and/or Indiana; it's hard to say for sure.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Culvers is trash

FUCK YOU!!!!!

ChiliConCarnage
11-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Every time I get a Big Mac I'm disappointed for some reason. It always let's me down for some reason. :(

because all of the lunch entree things at McDs suck. The fries are good though

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 12:48 PM
**** YOU!!!!!

ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Culvers is trash

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 12:50 PM
because all of the lunch entree things at McDs suck. The fries are good though

It's the shitty cooks - if the big mag is properly prepared and fresh - it's pretty darn good, still - trouble is they're only fresh about 25% of the time - I suppose you pull a mgr aside and express concern and maybe indicate that the last few visits have been a drag. I don't know if I'd go to that trouble.

I used to work at McDonalds.

Simply Red
What the **** is wrong with you?

ROFL

Simply Red
He has a drinking problem.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 12:52 PM
KC United - Steak & Shake will remind you of Winsteads, only better. Ever get over there anymore?

KCUnited
11-14-2017, 12:54 PM
KC United - Steak & Shake will remind you of Winsteads, only better. Ever get over there anymore?

I haven't been to Winstead's since early 2000, unfortunately.

gblowfish

Agree. The fish sandwich is really good, but it's expensive for fast food.

Frosty
They offer a gluten free bun-which is great for my kid. We have been eating there a lot.

That's good to know if I ever come across a Culver's in my travels. Do you know if their fries are safe, too? Five guys and Red Robin are my go-tos when it comes to burgers because they do GF right.

KCUnited
Also, definitely not to be confused with Calvert's in KC. Seriously one of the most permanent commercial jingles etched into my head. I hear it immediately whenever I see mention of Culver's for some reason.

"Calvert's we're going to WOW you. Calvert's express auto service and tire
We're fixing it fast, we're fixing it riiiight"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/48EWQbuntgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ut6Cwf3wDIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gblowfish
11-14-2017, 12:56 PM
A bunch of Winstead's in the KC area have closed over the past year or two. The burgers are good, but they're pretty small for what you pay for them. It just never seems to be a very good value for what you get.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Also, definitely not to be confused with Calvert's in KC. Seriously one of the most permanent commercial jingles etched into my head. I hear it immediately whenever I see mention of Culver's for some reason.

"Calvert's we're going to WOW you. Calvert's express auto service and tire
We're fixing it fast, we're fixing it riiiight"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/48EWQbuntgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-lWtjHdPigs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 12:58 PM
A bunch of Winstead's in the KC area have closed over the past year or two. The burgers are good, but they're pretty small for what you pay for them. It just never seems to be a very good value for what you get.

I couldn't agree more.

88TG88
11-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Five guys is super pricey. Its good, but not sure it's worth the price

otherstar
11-14-2017, 01:07 PM
I love Culver's, but there aren't very many in Houston. There is one in Kingwood that I like to eat at when I visit my kids. It's the only place I can get anything that resembles a tenderloin sandwich.

EDIT: I usually only get tenderloins, onion rings, and cheese curds there, sometimes a burger. Their burgers aren't bad, but they don't compare to Whataburger :)

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Five guys is super pricey. Its good, but not sure it's worth the price

I hear this all of the time on CP - can someone elaborate? They're literally $2 higher than a quarter pounder w/ cheese value meal.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 01:17 PM
I suppose you don't get the drink in that cost - but still - soft drinks are that important to me, personally.

displacedinMN
11-14-2017, 01:17 PM
That's good to know if I ever come across a Culver's in my travels. Do you know if their fries are safe, too? Five guys and Red Robin are my go-tos when it comes to burgers because they do GF right.

Most places do fries in their own fryer. But it does not hurt to ask

dls6501
11-14-2017, 01:19 PM
I personally have a huge problem with a lot of places that are compared to one another as fast food. 5 Guys is not a fast food restaurant. Neither is Shake Shack. If your establishment doesnt ordinarily have a drive-thru, it is NOT fast food.

I have In & Out and Culver's right at the top of the list for fast food burgers.

AssEaterChief
11-14-2017, 01:19 PM
I have never had it but will try it when given the opportunity.

I've only had Five Guys once, I thought it was alright.

I will not wait for In N Out….overrated.

My choice these days is Habit Burger…quality, clean dining area, charbroiled burger tastes amazing.

dls6501
11-14-2017, 01:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ut6Cwf3wDIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ELEVEN MINUTE REVIEW ON A BURGER?!?

Pass.

BWillie
11-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Culver's has one of the worst chicken sandwiches there is. But Burgers are solid.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Culver's has one of the worst chicken sandwiches there is. But Burgers are solid.

that cod sandwich looks good - you tried?

Pasta Little Brioni
11-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Culvers is good as is S And Shake. Hold your buttholes, but Fraud Guys is pure dogshit. Poverty burger at a terrible price. Fries suck too.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Culvers is good as is S And Shake. Hold your buttholes, but Fraud Guys is pure dogshit. Poverty burger at a terrible price. Fries suck too.

FUCK YOU!!!

BWillie
11-14-2017, 01:41 PM

https://i.imgur.com/R5VTGqo.gif

I bet you like Inn-N-Out's fries and hate Casey's Pizza too.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 01:41 PM
PGM - Review Brah stated Steak & Shake beat Culvers 9.6 to 9.4

Pasta Little Brioni
11-14-2017, 01:42 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/aZ3LDBs1ExsE8/giphy.gif

I bet you like Inn-N-Out's fries and hate Casey's Pizza too.

Nope. Fraud Guys is a joke though

Pasta Little Brioni
11-14-2017, 01:43 PM

I can see that. Would love to see him spill S and S chili on that white dress shirt!

Pasta Little Brioni
11-14-2017, 01:43 PM
FUCK YOU!!!

You dick!!!!

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 01:45 PM
I can see that. Would love to see him spill S and S chili on that white dress shirt!

No why would you be so awful?

L.A. Chieffan
11-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Blech.

How can the fries be "always" soggy when you've only eaten there once? Hmmmm?

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 01:48 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HeGoWRSg3_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like the Joplin/RangeLine Rd comment

luv
11-14-2017, 01:50 PM

I guess I have different taste than most people. I would go to Culver's over Stake & Shake any day of the week. Steak & Shake has the shoestring fries that are only good if serve as part of a chili dish, I'm not a fan of the flat burgers, and I even think their shakes have gone downhill. If I want a burger and fries, I'm going to Culver's. I'm a fan of the cheese curds, and I prefer frozen custard to ice cream...most of the time.

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 01:55 PM
How can the fries be "always" soggy when you've only eaten there once? Hmmmm?

Dude, I already explained this.

I went to In-N-Out burger many times between 1993-2000, usually in Barstow on my way to Vegas, but there's also a location in Hollywood off of Sunset & La Brea.

I stopped eating there because the burgers were underwhelming and the fries were always undercooked and soggy.

Earlier this year, we stopped at In-N-Out on the way to Palm Springs for Spring Break. We had the same exact experience: Soggy fries, unflavorful burgers.

Tommy's, Astro and Fatburger blow away In-N-Out, IMO, and it isn't even close.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Are there still Johnny Rocket's out there Dane? We have a couple left here in Atlanta - but used to be a dozen or maybe 15 - back in the nineties.

EDIT: we have 6 total

L.A. Chieffan
11-14-2017, 02:00 PM
Dude, I already explained this.

I went to In-N-Out burger many times between 1993-2000, usually in Barstow on my way to Vegas, but there's also a location in Hollywood off of Sunset & La Brea.

I stopped eating there because the burgers were underwhelming and the fries were always undercooked and soggy.

Earlier this year, we stopped at In-N-Out on the way to Palm Springs for Spring Break. We had the same exact experience: Soggy fries, unflavorful burgers.

Tommy's, Astro and Fatburger blow away In-N-Out, IMO, and it isn't even close.

😆 I'm just messing with you dude IDGAF

L.A. Chieffan
11-14-2017, 02:01 PM
BTW Del Taco fries are criminally underrated

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 02:03 PM

we're down to one w/in 45 mins from here - it's about a half an hour away or so.

scho63
11-14-2017, 02:03 PM
I had 2 Butterburgers at Culver's this summer for lunch. I was very impressed.

A list that puts McDonald's at #7 has to be called into questions.......

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Are there still Johnny Rocket's out there Dane? We have a couple left here in Atlanta - but used to be a dozen or maybe 15 - back in the nineties.

Yeah, unfortunately.

In late August, I took my kids to the Hollywood & Highland location for lunch because we needed to hit the Skechers store for new shoes for the school year. I wanted to hit Jinya Ramen but they wanted burgers and fries.

It was completely and utterly awful. The fries were dry, the burgers tasted "weird" and the manager took a picture of my kids, then tried to sell it to me.

Her: $20 dollars
Me: Nope
Her: $15 dollars

10 minutes later:

Her: $10 dollars
Her: $5 dollars

I asked for the check shortly thereafter, which was $42 dollars before tip, which is outrageous, especially given the quality of the food. The manager approached me, yet again:

Her: $3 Dollars
Her: $2 Dollars
Her: $1 dollar
Me: Nope. Goodbye. Never eating here again.

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 02:05 PM

And surprisingly, their burgers are good, too.

I had no idea until a few years ago, in Vegas, with a buddy who lived there at the time.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Yeah, unfortunately.

In late August, I took my kids to the Hollywood & Highland location for lunch because we needed to hit the Skechers store for new shoes for the school year. I wanted to hit Jinya Ramen but they wanted burgers and fries.

It was completely and utterly awful. The fries were dry, the burgers tasted "weird" and the manager took a picture of my kids, then tried to sell it to me.

Her: $20 dollars
Her: $15 dollars

10 minutes later:

Her: $10 dollars
Her: $5 dollars

I asked for the check shortly thereafter, which was $42 dollars before tax, which is outrageous, especially given the quality of the food. The manager approached me, yet again:

Her: $3 Dollars
Her: $2 Dollars
Her: $1 dollar
Me: Nope. Goodbye. Never eating here again.

Weird. I haven't been there in yrs.

I DO kick myself for never trying FatBurger - when we had that Sydney Marcus Location. Those look really good.

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Weird. I haven't been there in yrs.

I remember eating at Johnny Rockets around 2000 or so and it wasn't bad. Overpriced for sure but not awful.

This was awful.

I DO kick myself for never trying FatBurger - when we had that Sydney Marcus Location. Those look really good.

Fatburger is really, really good but like many restaurants, it depends on the location. There's one in Studio City, not too far from my house and it's just "okay". There's one way over in East Hollywood, bordering on Silverlake, and for years it was excellent. Then, all of the sudden, it just wasn't good any more.

My wife stopped at Tommy's in Hollywood a few years ago, which I'd never tried before, and it was better than the best Fatburger I'd had. It's on the way home from my kid's school so we'll stop by there every 6-8 weeks.

It's awesome.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 02:17 PM
I remember eating at Johnny Rockets around 2000 or so and it wasn't bad. Overpriced for sure but not awful.

This was awful.

Fatburger is really, really good but like many restaurants, it depends on the location. There's one in Studio City, not too far from my house and it's just "okay". There's one way over in East Hollywood, bordering on Silverlake, and for years it was excellent. Then, all of the sudden, it just wasn't good any more.

My wife stopped at Tommy's in Hollywood a few years ago, which I'd never tried before, and it was better than the best Fatburger I'd had. It's on the way home from my kid's school so we'll stop by there every 6-8 weeks.

It's awesome.

I do think I tried one of their Jr. Burgers or something way back in the early nineties at that location I'd mentioned - I don't remember it - it was just too long ago. FatBurger didn't make it here - not sure why.

Chieficus
11-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Culver's is good. I prefer Freddy's though, but that's mostly b/c I like the crisp shoestring fries over crinkle cuts. Both have great burgers and custard.

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Can we discuss this? Culver's has perhaps the best fast food burger in the country, but I never hear it get the hype that other semi-regional chains like In-n-Out (west coast) and Shake Shack (east coast) do.

I looked at Culver's location map. There are no locations on the West Coast nor the Northeast, so that may have something to do with it being rated lower in comparison to chains in those locations.

It's hard to rate something if you've never had it.

DaneMcCloud
11-14-2017, 02:30 PM
As for Shake Shack, there's a location less than a mile from my home that opened 2 years ago. The line was more than 2 blocks long when it opened.

I had it the first week and thought the burger was really, really good then had it a few months later and thought it was overly salty and bland.

Plus, at the time, they weren't offering chili fries.

TLO
11-14-2017, 02:35 PM
I think I'm going to get Culvers for dinner tonight!! What should I order??

Do they have a mushroom and swiss burger?

TLO
11-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Culver's is good. I prefer Freddy's though, but that's mostly b/c I like the crisp shoestring fries over crinkle cuts. Both have great burgers and custard.

Freddy's is worth the trip for the fry sauce alone!

mlyonsd
11-14-2017, 02:36 PM
I think I'm going to get Culvers for dinner tonight!! What should I order??

Do they have a mushroom and swiss burger?

Yes they do.

Dartgod
11-14-2017, 02:40 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-lWtjHdPigs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I haven't even listened to this yet and can remember the phone number (I think).

Westport 1 - 7100

Is that right?

Dartgod
11-14-2017, 02:42 PM
I haven't even listened to this yet and can remember the phone number (I think).

Westport 1 - 7100

Is that right?

Haha, fuck yeah!

I can't remember what I had for dinner a week ago, but I can remember that.

Spott
11-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Never heard of Culver’s, In and out is mediocre and Shake Shack tastes like school cafeteria food.

tx4chiefs
11-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Whataburger should be higher. Although it was just recently Texas only, it has branched out to other states. The burgers are large and delicious.

Canofbier
11-14-2017, 02:55 PM
I've only eaten at Culver's a few times but was very unimpressed each time. My problems with the experience:

My burger patties were clearly squished down on the grill during cooking, which makes them cook faster but also makes them dry and gross. If I'm going to be a burger-eating fatass, the burger needs to be juicy and lovingly-prepared enough to be worth it!
They offer frozen custard, but the quality and variety were far worse than what is offered at dedicated frozen custard places like Sheridan's or Ted Drewes.

If the burgers are dry and the custard is subpar, why would I return to Culver's when I could instead get better burgers and custard elsewhere?

The Rick
11-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Basically an upscale, much better Dairy Queen, with frozen custard instead of ice cream.

These frozen custard places originated in Wisconsin. I was first exposed to them when I was stationed up at Great Lakes and spent quite a bit of time in Milwaukee in the late 80s. Before they started opening Culver's in the area, the wife and I would on rare occasion drive up to Milwaukee just to get frozen custard.

Fun fact: the drive-in that was the inspiration for Arnold's in Happy Days was a frozen custard place.

Yep...Leon's Frozen Custard:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/e4c601_08da87dd3b4842a29fdbccb6123c42d3~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_861,h_553,al_c,q_85/e4c601_08da87dd3b4842a29fdbccb6123c42d3~mv2.webp

carcosa
11-14-2017, 03:04 PM
I've only eaten at Culver's a few times but was very unimpressed each time. My problems with the experience:

My burger patties were clearly squished down on the grill during cooking, which makes them cook faster but also makes them dry and gross. If I'm going to be a burger-eating fatass, the burger needs to be juicy and lovingly-prepared enough to be worth it!
They offer frozen custard, but the quality and variety were far worse than what is offered at dedicated frozen custard places like Sheridan's or Ted Drewes.

If the burgers are dry and the custard is subpar, why would I return to Culver's when I could instead get better burgers and custard elsewhere?

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Haha, **** yeah!

I can't remember what I had for dinner a week ago, but I can remember that.

haha - yup

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 03:05 PM
**** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you!

pugsnotdrugs19
11-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Summers in Kentucky, they were hard to beat

alanm
11-14-2017, 03:11 PM
that cod sandwich looks good - you tried?Depending on availability you can get a Walleye fish sand. And it's fantastic. :thumb:

MTG#10
11-14-2017, 03:20 PM
I never try fast food joints when I travel, I'd rather have the local cuisine if I'm out of town but in Springfield my favorites are Culver's, Freddy's, 5 Guys, and a few steps below Hardees Thickburgers.

Steak & Shake sucks. Mcdonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and all of the other "big chains" suck. Never tried In-N-Out or Whataburger because again, I'm not eating fast food unless its local.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Depending on availability you can get a Walleye fish sand. And it's fantastic. :thumb:

yeah Walleye' are good.

MTG#10
11-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Depending on availability you can get a Walleye fish sand. And it's fantastic. :thumb:

Culver's walleye was terrible when I tried it. Didn't taste anything like walleye my grandad and I used to catch. Flavorless and way too watery.

Simply Red
I never try fast food joints when I travel, I'd rather have the local cuisine if I'm out of town but in Springfield my favorites are Culver's, Freddy's, 5 Guys, and a few steps below Hardees Thickburgers.

Steak & Shake sucks. Mcdonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and all of the other "big chains" suck. Never tried In-N-Out or Whataburger because again, I'm not eating fast food unless its local.

**** YOU!!!

Simply Red
Culver's walleye was terrible when I tried it. Didn't taste anything like walleye my grandad and I used to catch. Flavorless and way too watery.

FUCK YOU!!!

TLO
11-14-2017, 03:22 PM
**** YOU!!!

What should I order at Culvers tonight??

Cheese curds???

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 03:23 PM

Cheese curds???

I get the double deluxe - Have yet to get the curds, hurds good things about them though.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 03:24 PM

Cheese curds???

Hell yeah brother

carcosa
I get the double deluxe - Have yet to get the curds, hurds good things about them though.

GET THE CURDS!!!

Simply Red
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JS8dryNcLKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 03:25 PM
GET THE CURDS!!!

OH I WILL NOW!

Calcountry
11-14-2017, 03:25 PM
The Habit makes a good burger.

http://www.habitburger.com

ptlyon
11-14-2017, 03:26 PM
OH I WILL NOW!

Make sure you eat them immediately. Like right out of the bag. Nothing is worse than a cold cheese ball (curd).

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Make sure you eat them immediately. Like right out of the bag. Nothing is worse than a cold cheese ball (curd).

thanks you

Frazod
11-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Yep...Leon's Frozen Custard:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/e4c601_08da87dd3b4842a29fdbccb6123c42d3~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_861,h_553,al_c,q_85/e4c601_08da87dd3b4842a29fdbccb6123c42d3~mv2.webp

I thought it was Pig and Whistle.

Pitt Gorilla
11-14-2017, 03:59 PM
I think I will try the cod sammy next Culver's visit - I don't trust that guy doing the review - he doesn't seem too smart. Additionally why not just order extra tartar sauce? and you notice he didn't add any black pepper - dude's his own worst enemy.I prefer the cod outside of the sandwich, with lemon and/or tartar sauce.

MTG#10
11-14-2017, 04:02 PM
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JS8dryNcLKY" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>
That guy has obviously never had wild walleye. Culver's walleye is from a hatchery and has as much flavor as a sponge.

srvy
11-14-2017, 04:06 PM

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kUe8RkuDM8E" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
11-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Whataburger should be higher. Although it was just recently Texas only, it has branched out to other states. The burgers are large and delicious.

Yep

srvy
11-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Cheese curds???

They will bind you up but go to steak and shake after get a burger and cancel it out. Steak and shake guarantee a grease belly case of indigestion 4 tums cant cut.

BossChief
11-14-2017, 04:34 PM

Blech.

Their fries are always soggy, but you’ve only eaten there once in17 years?

displacedinMN
11-14-2017, 04:34 PM
We still have Johnny Rockets at the Mall of America.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 04:35 PM
That guy has obviously never had wild walleye. Culver's walleye is from a hatchery and has as much flavor as a sponge.

maybe an off day?

Stewie
11-14-2017, 04:44 PM
I still see long lines at McDonald's when I drive by and Sonic seems to have a vibrant business.

The funny thing to me is that McDonald's was forced to change cooking methods and ingredients by the nanny food state. If you see non-McDonald's restaurants ingredients and methods it's the same damn thing McD's was doing 25 years ago, but they were shamed out of that world.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 04:48 PM
I still see long lines at McDonald's when I drive by and Sonic seems to have a vibrant business.

The funny thing to me is that McDonald's was forced to change cooking methods and ingredients by the nanny food state. If you see non-McDonald's restaurants ingredients and methods it's the same damn thing McD's was doing 25 years ago, but they were shamed out of that world.

I absolutely agree w/ their methods changing - and your thought about that and where they are today. T'is why it was so much better in the early nineties and prior.

MTG#10
11-14-2017, 04:58 PM
maybe an off day?

Well, they obviously get it in frozen...I dont think it was an off-day but possibly they get walleye from more than one hatchery and some are better than others. Or maybe the delicious walleye Ive caught/eaten from several MO lakes have my expectations too high...

Clyde Frog
11-14-2017, 05:20 PM

Blech.

100% agree. I HATE In-N-Out for all the reasons you stated. Sadly, when anyone comes to visit it's on thier "must try" list so I'm forced to go. I would never choose to go thier on my own volition. "Super Duper" (Nor-Cal chain) isn't even on that list but blows them out of the water.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Well, they obviously get it in frozen...I dont think it was an off-day but possibly they get walleye from more than one hatchery and some are better than others. Or maybe the delicious walleye Ive caught/eaten from several MO lakes have my expectations too high...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F7XNpxlojVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-14-2017, 05:30 PM
I like Red Robin, Cheeburger Cheeburger, Johnny Rockets, and Fuddruckers here in Maryland. They're supposed to be opening a Shake Shack soon, but I suspect it'll be months before I go there. I anticipate they'll have huge crowds once they open, so I'll wait for the shine to wear off.

Frazod
11-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Red Robin is excellent, but obscenely overpriced. It’s just a friggin burger.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 05:41 PM
I like Red Robin, Cheeburger Cheeburger, Johnny Rockets, and Fuddruckers here in Maryland. They're supposed to be opening a Shake Shack soon, but I suspect it'll be months before I go there. I anticipate they'll have huge crowds once they open, so I'll wait for the shine to wear off.

we just got a couple of Shake Shack's but they're a bit away from me, 30 mins or so

MTG#10
11-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Red Robin is excellent, but obscenely overpriced. It’s just a friggin burger.

I agree with that part

Titty Meat
11-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Five Guys and Wendy's have the best fast food burgers

mlyonsd
11-14-2017, 06:22 PM
I absolutely agree w/ their methods changing - and your thought about that and where they are today. T'is why it was so much better in the early nineties and prior.McDonalds fries and fried apple pies in the 70's were the fucking bomb man.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 06:27 PM
McDonalds fries and fried apple pies in the 70's were the ****ing bomb man.

oh yeah. Hell everything was better there, then.

88TG88
11-14-2017, 06:36 PM
I have never had it but will try it when given the opportunity.

I've only had Five Guys once, I thought it was alright.

I will not wait for In N Out….overrated.

My choice these days is Habit Burger…quality, clean dining area, charbroiled burger tastes amazing.

Completely agree on Habit

SR, thoughts on Habit ? They have those out there ?

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Completely agree on Habit

SR, thoughts on Habit ? They have those out there ?

No - The closest is in Orlando, Fl.

lewdog
11-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Habit gets my vote as well.

Top Notch shit being done there. I was very impressed.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 06:51 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xoxU_tz9K24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod
11-14-2017, 06:59 PM
For burgers, generally I'll hit Wendy's first. They're consistently good and closest to the house. Other than that, Steak and Shake is second, Culver's third, occasionally Hardee's (I'd hit them more often, but they're pretty far away) and then on rare occasion Red Robin. I never get burgers at McDonald's and don't get anything at all from Burger King.

That's pretty much it for burgers. Other fast food choices include Arby's, Taco Bell, Boston Market and Noodles & Company. Love their beef stroganoff.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 07:05 PM
For burgers, generally I'll hit Wendy's first. They're consistently good and closest to the house. Other than that, Steak and Shake is second, Culver's third, occasionally Hardee's (I'd hit them more often, but they're pretty far away) and then on rare occasion Red Robin. I never get burgers at McDonald's and don't get anything at all from Burger King.

That's pretty much it for burgers. Other fast food choices include Arby's, Taco Bell, Boston Market and Noodles & Company. Love their beef stroganoff.

I've reached a point with BK I wouldn't eat it - if it were free.

Frazod
11-14-2017, 07:26 PM
I've reached a point with BK I wouldn't eat it - if it were free.

Yeah, Burger King just sucks.

Deberg_1990
11-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Ive mentioned this before, but ill take Freddies anyday over Steak n Shake and Culvers

srvy
11-14-2017, 07:56 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xoxU_tz9K24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Freakin mayo on a burger killed it for me. Didnt help the reviewer was a slob.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Ive mentioned this before, but ill take Freddies anyday over Steak n Shake and Culvers

I know a lot of you are on this Freddy's thing since they were born in Kansas - but they're dry and overpriced. I don't hate them - but they're definitely not as good as S&S or Culvers.

srvy
11-14-2017, 08:28 PM
I know a lot of you are on this Freddy's thing since they were born in Kansas - but they're dry and overpriced. I don't hate them - but they're definitely not as good as S&S or Culvers.

I didnt know this it kinda ruins it for me now.

jspchief
11-14-2017, 08:46 PM
I find Culvers burgers to be pretty forgettable, but I am a fan of their pot roast sandwich.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

otherstar
11-14-2017, 09:14 PM

I love Fuddruckers, except they are a little pricey for my budget.

otherstar
11-14-2017, 09:15 PM
Anybody ever eat at Smashburger? I ate at one once, but it was awhile ago and it must not have been that great because I don't really remember it.

Simply Red
11-14-2017, 09:20 PM
Anybody ever eat at Smashburger? I ate at one once, but it was awhile ago and it must not have been that great because I don't really remember it.

yes they suck

Bewbies
11-14-2017, 10:47 PM

You are the first person I’ve ever heard say that place is good.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Loved getting either the elk burger or the bison burger at Fudds. Very sad when they closed the one closest to me.

carcosa
11-14-2017, 11:03 PM
yes they suck

T h a n k y o u

TLO
11-14-2017, 11:30 PM
Yeah, Burger King just sucks.

I did give their farmhouse king burger a try recently. It was the best thing I've ever had at BK.

It's sad how awful most of their food is now.

Titty Meat
11-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Did McDonald's fries get smaller?

Also they need to close every Winsteads besides the Plaza location (for nostalgia purposes). Their food is TRASH these days.

mdstu
11-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Culvers is great. Tenderloin is top notch. Cheese curds are too.

One of the biggest food items that I miss from the Midwest is fresh Pork Tenderloin sandwiches. I don't think I've ever had a really good Tenderloin sandwich east of the Mississippi.

Any time I end up at Culvers I get the Tenderloin. Not because it's great, but because it's the best I've found since moving away from Missouri/Iowa.

I worked for about 18 months down in Greenville, South Carolina & Ashville, North Carolina. I could not find a Tenderloin sandwich. When I asked around most people had no idea what I was talking about.

In a pinch I'll go to a "hole in the wall" Mexican joint and order a chicken or steak Milanesa Torta.

splatbass
11-15-2017, 01:04 AM
Can we discuss this? Culver's has perhaps the best fast food burger in the country, but I never hear it get the hype that other semi-regional chains like In-n-Out (west coast) and Shake Shack (east coast) do. They also have excellent onion rings, amazing cheese curds, proprietary root beer, and of course the frozen custard.

Look, In-n-Out burgers are great. Shake Shack burgers are fine, too. But ButterBurgers blow 'em both out of the water, if you ask me. Tastes fresh and feels good. I think this is another instance of the freaking lamestream media on the left coast and freaking big city fat cats in "Poo York Shitty" not giving a hardworking midwestern brand its due.

Please share your thoughts and any Culver's experiences you've had.

Thanks.

I've never had Culver's or Shake Shack, so I can't comment on them, but this post comes across as if you have a midwest inferiority complex. Just an observance from someone who has lived in the midwest and on both coasts. From my experience the people on the coasts don't look down on the midwest as much as some in the midwest, like you, look down on them.

btlook1
11-15-2017, 03:27 AM
Tried a culvers a few months ago in Lincoln Neb. Was excellent chocolate malts are awesome to!! Was in that town for 3 days ate there 3 times...really good burgers!

srvy
11-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Wish a Braums would make it to KC.
http://www.braums.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Braums-Ice-Cream-Burger-Restaurant-Store-145-Oklahoma-City-OK-Store-Front.jpg
https://www.braums.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/BBQBaconBurger.png
http://mclifetulsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Braums.jpg
http://wichitafalls.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/773.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS5Tv5TUYAA3mDp.png

siberian khatru
11-15-2017, 09:10 AM
For quality, affordability and convenience, Five Guys is still my go-to.

Prefer Wendy's over Mickey D's, just had BK a few weeks ago for the first time in ages -- the Bacon King I thought was pretty good.

I like Culver's a lot, eat there every 2-3 months, but I think the OP gets close to overrating it just because it's underrated.

Used to have Whataburger nearby and ate there often, but now I have to travel too far to get to it. Ate In-and-Out once, on a business trip to Phoenix a decade ago, and remember it being good.

Shake Shack is good, but pricey and pretentious.

In a similar vein, don't think I've seen it mentioned yet: Burger 21. Eaten there a couple of times, enjoyed it. Anyone else?

ThaVirus
11-15-2017, 09:39 AM

Checkers are almost exclusively located in the hood.

The food is tasty but greasy AF.

Hell yeah. A fresh, hot, well-made Big Mac is amazing. Unfortunately, you only get that lucky once or twice every ten visits.

Five Guys and Wendy's have the best fast food burgers

Wendy's triple cheeseburger. So fucking good.

No - The closest is in Orlando, Fl.

What the balls is this? I live here and I've never even heard of this shit.. welp, I guess I'll add it to the list.

ThaVirus
11-15-2017, 09:40 AM
In a similar vein, don't think I've seen it mentioned yet: Burger 21. Eaten there a couple of times, enjoyed it. Anyone else?

I ate there once years ago with an ex girlfriend. I remember it being pretty good but pricey. I was in college back then, though, so maybe I was just a broke ass bitch.

Anyone ever tried Wahlburgers?

carcosa
11-15-2017, 10:07 AM
I've never had Culver's or Shake Shack, so I can't comment on them, but this post comes across as if you have a midwest inferiority complex. Just an observance from someone who has lived in the midwest and on both coasts. From my experience the people on the coasts don't look down on the midwest as much as some in the midwest, like you, look down on them.

GO SWALLOW A PINEAPPLE!!!!!

Simply Red
11-15-2017, 10:09 AM

All drank 2 thanks you

RobBlake
11-15-2017, 10:10 AM

Blech.

You're tripping, duuuude.

L.A. Chieffan
11-15-2017, 10:39 AM
The Habit is legit, good chicken sandwiches too. I think there should be a difference tho because that, to me, isn't really a fast food burger. Similar to Five guys, shake shack etc. Those burgers should be judged on a different criteria.

I think it should be if it has a drive thru or not. Drive thru burger places vs. Non drive thru burger places. I've had Culvers before and it was pretty good. However, when you compare freshness, consistency, service, speed, value and overall taste the best drive thru burger place is In N Out.

Simply Red
11-15-2017, 10:54 AM
For quality, affordability and convenience, Five Guys is still my go-to.

Prefer Wendy's over Mickey D's, just had BK a few weeks ago for the first time in ages -- the Bacon King I thought was pretty good.

I like Culver's a lot, eat there every 2-3 months, but I think the OP gets close to overrating it just because it's underrated.

Used to have Whataburger nearby and ate there often, but now I have to travel too far to get to it. Ate In-and-Out once, on a business trip to Phoenix a decade ago, and remember it being good.

Shake Shack is good, but pricey and pretentious.

Been there once about 3 yrs ago - it didn't blow me away.

Simply Red
11-15-2017, 02:00 PM
I just finished the Cod sandwich from Culver's. The food review gentleman had it perfect.

Mild thick cutlet - not seasoned enough. Hoagie was a potato type bread which was gummy.

The notable things were: The fish cutlet was mild, fresh and flakey. The tartar sauce was different and very good.

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 02:02 PM
You're tripping, duuuude.

:rolleyes:

People that prefer In-N-Out burger to Fatburger or Tommy's or the Habit is the equivalent of people preferring Taco Bell and Chipotle "Mexican" Restaurant to the Mom & Pop taco stand a block away.

Frazod
11-15-2017, 04:14 PM

People that prefer In-N-Out burger to Fatburger or Tommy's or the Habit is the equivalent of people preferring Taco Bell and Chipotle "Mexican" Restaurant to the Mom & Pop taco stand a block away.

I certainly prefer Taco Bell to Chipotle. I found Chipotle to be bland, overrated and overpriced.

But if I want real Mexican fast food I go to a local chain called El Famous Burritos. They blow everybody away.

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 04:22 PM
I certainly prefer Taco Bell to Chipotle. I found Chipotle to be bland, overrated and overpriced.

But if I want real Mexican fast food I go to a local chain called El Famous Burritos. They blow everybody away.

I had Chipotle for the first time about 10 years ago and I literally puked about 30 minutes after eating.

I definitely prefer Taco Bell.

otherstar
11-15-2017, 04:26 PM
You are the first person I’ve ever heard say that place is good.

TBH, I've not eaten there in 10 years or so. It's possible that they've changed in that time.

Wish a Braums would make it to KC.

This is one chain that I'm glad we don't have in Houston. The ice cream is OK, but the burgers weren't great (but I've not eaten at one in 15 years so so.

I had Chipotle for the first time about 10 years ago and I literally puked about 30 minutes after eating.

If I'm eating Mexican fast food, I'd rather go to Taco Cabana. BUT I'd take Taco Bell over Chipotle any day.

Titty Meat
11-15-2017, 04:28 PM

You wrong

Frazod
11-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Taco Bell has a new thing called Naked Chicken Chips. Six vaguely triangular nuggets with a side of cheese sauce for $1.99. They are quite tasty, and two of them are filling enough for lunch, for under $5.00.

I generally get lunch in a food court across the street. There are several fast food places there, including a Burger King, Arby's, Panda and KFC. Taco Bell probably has the worst location (all the way in the back, partially obscured by an elevator bank), yet they're always the busiest.

Frazod
11-15-2017, 04:31 PM
You wrong

Sorry, your opinion ceased to matter when you dissed Culver's. :harumph:

Hydrae
11-15-2017, 04:34 PM
TBH, I've not eaten there in 10 years or so. It's possible that they've changed in that time.

This is one chain that I'm glad we don't have in Houston. The ice cream is OK, but the burgers weren't great (but I've not eaten at one in 15 years so so.

If I'm eating Mexican fast food, I'd rather go to Taco Cabana. BUT I'd take Taco Bell over Chipotle any day.

I'll second Taco Cabana although I am more likely to go there for breakfast tacos (as I did just this morning!).

Simply Red
11-15-2017, 04:41 PM
not a Chipotle fan either.

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 04:43 PM
You wrong

I prefer pooping to puking

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 04:45 PM
I'll second Taco Cabana although I am more likely to go there for breakfast tacos (as I did just this morning!).

I'm not familiar with Taco Cabana but there are more than a dozen "real" Mexican joints within a mile of my home that are completely awesome and in many ways, unique (especially the fish tacos).

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Taco Bell has a new thing called Naked Chicken Chips. Six vaguely triangular nuggets with a side of cheese sauce for $1.99. They are quite tasty, and two of them are filling enough for lunch, for under $5.00.

I generally get lunch in a food court across the street. There are several fast food places there, including a Burger King, Arby's, Panda and KFC. Taco Bell probably has the worst location (all the way in the back, partially obscured by an elevator bank), yet they're always the busiest.

Are there any Del Taco locations in Chicago? It's similar to Taco Bell but different. Their breakfast burritos and burritos are really good for fast food/drive thru.

Titty Meat
11-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Sorry, your opinion ceased to matter when you dissed Culver's. :harumph:

Fucccck Culvers. They do have good ice cream tho.

Frazod
11-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Are there any Del Taco locations in Chicago? It's similar to Taco Bell but different. Their breakfast burritos and burritos are really good for fast food/drive thru.

I don't think so.

siberian khatru
11-15-2017, 04:55 PM
not a Chipotle fan either.

Eaten at two different ones and had the same reaction both times: Highly overrated.

ptlyon
I just finished the Cod sandwich from Culver's. The food review gentleman had it perfect.

Mild thick cutlet - not seasoned enough. Hoagie was a potato type bread which was gummy.

The notable things were: The fish cutlet was mild, fresh and flakey. The tartar sauce was different and very good.

Would've liked to have known your thoughts if you didn't view that review

baitism
Sonic tastes like shit and it's horrible for you. I was floored at how bad the nutritional info is. BK is nothing special, but at least it's real meat. McD is a heavily salted mystery meat concoction.

carcosa
11-15-2017, 05:14 PM
I prefer pooping to puking

Chipotle makes me poop within half an hour every time!

I won't pretend it's great Mexican food, but to me, it tastes good and is quick and convenient!

Frazod
11-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Sonic tastes like shit and it's horrible for you. I was floored at how bad the nutritional info is. BK is nothing special, but at least it's real meat. McD is a heavily salted mystery meat concoction.

I think Sonic’s grease to meat ratio is about 3 to 1.

MTG#10
11-15-2017, 06:12 PM
I like Chipotle, its not the greatest "Mexican" but saying its worse than Taco Bell is laughable. Taco Bell is the most disgusting shit that somehow legally passes as food in this country. At least you know what kind of meat you're getting at Chipotle.

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 06:14 PM
At least you know what kind of meat you're getting at Chipotle.

Yeah, meat with doused in e.Coli

88TG88
11-15-2017, 06:18 PM
The Habit is legit, good chicken sandwiches too. I think there should be a difference tho because that, to me, isn't really a fast food burger. Similar to Five guys, shake shack etc. Those burgers should be judged on a different criteria.

I think it should be if it has a drive thru or not. Drive thru burger places vs. Non drive thru burger places. I've had Culvers before and it was pretty good. However, when you compare freshness, consistency, service, speed, value and overall taste the best drive thru burger place is In N Out.

Theres one in Inglewood near the new stadium theyre building and it has a drive thru.

But, I agree on Five Guys not being "fast food". More comparable to the Red Robin or the like

carcosa
11-15-2017, 06:45 PM

Gives it a nice kick!!

MTG#10
11-15-2017, 06:46 PM

Pretty sure Taco Bell had something similar happen long before Chipotle did.

Simply Red
11-15-2017, 07:12 PM

green onions - that's why they're no longer an option.

lewdog
11-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Keep this thread on track boys. It’s not the Mexican food thread.

First warning for all of you.

sedated
11-15-2017, 07:28 PM
I like Chipotle, its not the greatest "Mexican" but saying its worse than Taco Bell is laughable. Taco Bell is the most disgusting shit that somehow legally passes as food in this country. At least you know what kind of meat you're getting at Chipotle.

For some reason Chipotle has become the trendy thing to bash.

The oddest comment was that its overpriced - its the least processed version of fast food and you can get a burrito for under $8. You can't even get a combo meal at McDonalds anymore without spending close to that. I frequently see burgers/sandwiches at restaurants that cost $10-14.

And im always surprised by how many people cant eat food without getting the shits, and say it like its a badge of honor.

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 07:46 PM

That’s may be true but Chipotle’s stock and market share declined big time after their incidents.

Regardless, I have many options for great Mexican and if I’m doing the “chain” thing, it’s El Pollo Loco every time.

It’s awesome.

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 07:48 PM
For some reason Chipotle has become the trendy thing to bash.

Probably because it’s just not anything special these days

splatbass
11-15-2017, 08:23 PM

Pineapples are tasty.

splatbass
11-15-2017, 08:26 PM

Those aren't really equivalent comparisons. Compare In-N-Out to McDonalds or Burger King - their real competitors - and it blows them away.

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2017, 08:28 PM
Those aren't really equivalent comparisons. Compare In-N-Out to McDonalds or Burger King - their real competitors - and it blows them away.

Yes, they are, because Fatburger and Tommy’s have drive thru service.

ptlyon
11-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Pineapples are tasty.

Depends on which way you swallow them

ptlyon
11-15-2017, 09:20 PM

Get bent

carcosa
11-15-2017, 10:13 PM

Thank you

Simply Red
11-15-2017, 10:17 PM
Thank you

Culver's Cod Sammy today

carcosa
11-15-2017, 10:41 PM
Culver's Cod Sammy today

Thanks

cdcox
11-15-2017, 11:04 PM
For me, burgers are all about the toppings. Wendy's, Steak-n-Shake, Five Guys are all bland. I prefer McDonald's to those be cause they at least taste like something (a McDonald's hamburger). I've been enjoying Cook Out lately (Cook Out style).

splatbass
11-15-2017, 11:57 PM
For me, burgers are all about the toppings. Wendy's, Steak-n-Shake, Five Guys are all bland. I prefer McDonald's to those be cause they at least taste like something (a McDonald's hamburger). I've been enjoying Cook Out lately (Cook Out style).

McDonald's is literally the worst fast food burger. And it isn't even close.

Simply Red
11-15-2017, 11:58 PM
McDonald's is literally the worst fast food burger. And it isn't even close.

nope - BK

splatbass
11-16-2017, 12:02 AM
nope - BK

Pretty bad too. I try to avoid both. I ate at McD's last weekend because I was in a hurry and it was on the way. It sucked.

I don't know if fast food has gotten worse since I was young or I just have more discriminating taste now, but I remember McD's, BK, Taco Bell, etc., as much better 30-40 years ago.

Simply Red
11-16-2017, 12:07 AM
Pretty bad too. I try to avoid both. I ate at McD's last weekend because I was in a hurry and it was on the way. It sucked.

I don't know if fast food has gotten worse since I was young or I just have more discriminating taste now, but I remember McD's, BK, Taco Bell, etc., as much better 30-40 years ago.

for sure

srvy
11-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Is Backyard Burgers a thing anymore? I have not seen one in a while maybe tits up?

TambaBerry
11-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Is Backyard Burgers a thing anymore? I have not seen one in a while maybe tits up?

they have one in blue springs, its still really good food. I dont know why they disappeared

Ebolapox
11-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Rally's wants in on this fight for sure.

TambaBerry
11-16-2017, 12:22 PM
The DQ flamethrower burger is by far the best fast food burger

gblowfish
11-16-2017, 01:41 PM

We have one in Independence a couple blocks east of Lee's Summit Rd on 23rd St. My wifey likes it, we go there a couple times a month.

gblowfish
11-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Culver's Cod Sammy today
Did you like it? I think it's really tasty, but expensive for what you get.

redfan
11-16-2017, 01:48 PM
"Wildly" underrated. :D

Town Topic FTW

Fish
11-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Town Topic is pretty damn good. Haven't eaten there in a while. Last time I went, there was a homeless dude eating at the counter with this big nasty smear of human shit all over the back of his coat. Pretty revolting in that little building.