PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game: Week 12 Buffalo 16 KC 10

gblowfish
11-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Ten Things About Today’s Game: Week 12, Buffalo 16 KC 10

10. If you would have bet me back around Halloween that The Missouri Tigers Football Team would be undefeated in November, and the Chiefs would be winless in November, I would bet the mortgage, the farm, and Meesh the Cat against it. But that's exactly what November was. I have no comforting words today, but I think I’m starting to get a bead on what this season is all about now. It's all about streaks. The weather was 63 degrees and sunny, perfect day, maybe the nicest weather of the season thus far. Such a shame to waste such a beautiful day on such a pitiful performance like this. There is no “Arrowhead Mystique” any more. When you have five successive three and outs and only ONE first down in an entire half of football, you can’t expect the fans to be fired up. The fans were no factor at all today, and they were no factor because neither offense or special teams could do a thing to generate any momentum. This Buffalo first half was even more dreadful than the first half of the Pittsburgh game. And when the Chiefs did manage a scoring drive, Alex ignores a wide open Kelce streaking for the end zone; and predictably checks down short of the first down to Wilson, and Buttkicker settles for a field goal. A field goal BTW, that the defense handed right back to the Bills who kick a 56-yarder with :04 left in the half.

9. The Chiefs are basically a .500 team. They ARE the Buffalo Bills; a middling team with an OK defense and an anemic offense. The Chiefs have lost five of six, and in three of those losses the defense gave up less than 20 points. You are what your record says you are. During the first five weeks of the season the Chiefs were arguably the best team in the NFL. In November they were arguably the worst team in the NFL. Andy Reid’s teams have a maddening tendency to play to the level of their competition. Losing to the Giants could only have been made worse by turning around and losing to the Buffalo Bills at home. The Bills are actually a better team than the Chiefs. We have an identical record, and they’ve now beaten us head to head on our own field. Now we’re in very serious danger of losing the AFC West lead to Phyllis Rivers and the Somewhere in California Chargers. Now that’s depressing.

8. The defense played good enough to win. They gave up a touchdown and gave up three field goals. Chiefs offense went seven quarters plus an overtime before scoring a touchdown. I can’t say much good about the offense today except that Harris caught the only ball thrown at him. Wilson got a TD, but dropped three balls. Kelce got one target in the first half. Not his fault. He was wide open several times, and Alex refused to look at him. If you watch the game ending pick, watch Kelce. Alex throws into double coverage at Hill; Kelce has his guy beat, and after the pick, he just throws his head back and walks towards the sideline.

7. Ragland had his best day as a Chief. All players like to stick it to the team that traded them away. He was good. Zombo actually had a decent day; Houston got a sack and Sorensen got one on a blitz. Sorensen also got a bad face mask penalty to add to Peters bad play on a pass in the third quarter. Peters went for the pick instead of just breaking up the pass. Add Sorensen’s penalty, and that’s what gave Buffalo their final field goal drive, and meant we had to beat six instead of three to win - or tie - at the end. Peters was beat on the only Buffalo TD too, but I’m not sure the guy who caught the ball was supposed to be his guy. There was a lot of Chinese Fire Drill stuff going on in our defensive backfield on that play. Hali is done. He got a little pressure on a couple plays, but might as well just put K-Pass out there and let him get the experience. DJ got beat on a couple slants for Buffalo first downs. He’s more than a step slower this year, and they’ve been pulling him off the field a lot. Not a good sign for somebody who’s supposed to be the glue that holds your defense together. At least Gaines didn’t see the field at all on defense, and Williams played better this week on pass coverage.

6. Andy’s offense has been way too predictable on first down. We must have run Kareem Hunt on first down at least seven or eight times. Hunt averaged 1.5 yards per carry. And they only threw the ball to him once, which went for nine yards. McCoy had around 80 all purpose yards and ran hard. He won the battle of the starting running backs. Hunt had more runs for negative yards than positive yards. That means nobody is opening holes. Fisher has been especially bad on run blocking the last couple weeks. You can also see teams cheating eight and nine guys up on the line on first down, basically daring Alex to throw on them. It’s been working. Nobody believes Alex has the accuracy or the tummy to throw long.

5. Once again we saw the genuine Alex Smith. He’s getting happy feet in the pocket again. He tried running for a couple first downs in the first half, but wasn’t fast enough to get there. As the game went on, his body language got worse and worse. If you watch him on the sidelines, he only talks to Nagy or Andy. He doesn’t say a word to any of his offensive guys. In timeouts he wanders off by himself. He seems detached from the rest of his team mates. His body language reminds me a lot of the shitty Damon Huard years. Andy was more animated coming out for the second half, going over to the bench and trying to rah rah some guys; but Alex was aloof and just didn’t look like he wanted to play. He was one of the first guys down the stairs after the game was over.

4. Credit to the defense for getting a three and out on Buffalo right before the final two minutes. KC had to burn all three time outs, but they got Alex the ball on his 14 yard line with two and a half minutes left and the two minute warning. Instead of trying to push the ball downfield, Alex throws a series of five yard check down passes with West and Hill running out of bounds to stop the clock. They dink and dunk -plus get a drive sustaining penalty to get the ball to the Bills 35 yard line with a minute and a half left. Sorry, but a Brady, Rapistburger, Rodgers, Rivers, will get at least a couple shots into the end zone from the 35 with 90 seconds left. Instead, Smith dinks a three yard pass to West. Then on 2nd and 7 he is given time to throw, rolls to his left and throws the ball away. So third and seven, Alex telegraphs the pass, looks only at Hill at the first down marker, and throws the game killing pick. Time wasn’t the issue, he threw the pick with 1:25 left. And again, Kelce had single linebacker coverage, and Smith didn’t even look at him.

3. If we look for silver linings, and they are hard to find, our kickers were OK. Colquitt averaged 48 yards a punt, and Buttkicker hit his only chance. Buffalo’s kickers were better. Hauschka was 3 for 4 including a 56 Yarder, and Buffalo’s punter Schmidt left four punts inside the KC 20.

2. Alex Smith averaged 5.5 yards per pass completion. The Chiefs have scored ten points or less two weeks in a row. The defense is not forcing turnovers. Special teams are not contributing. They almost got a muffed punt, but nothing. The Chiefs success has been based on taking the ball away from the other team, and that is no longer happening. And when your starting QB is known as a guy who doesn’t turn the ball over or make errors at critical junctures to beat you, that goes out the window today as well. Chiefs for 2 for 13 on third down, including five straight three and outs to open the game. You can’t win when you piss away an entire half. Doesn’t matter if you play Pittsburgh or Buffalo, you lose to both.

1. I don’t know what else to say. Chiefs are usually good against the Raiders and Chargers at home in December, but after this month, all bets are off. I just have this feeling that even if they do manage to squeak into the playoffs, whoever draws us will be licking their chops. This team is on fumes. The old guys look really old. Hill looks beat up. Albert Wilson is definitely beat up. Alex looks like he has Jay Cutler Disease -disinterested and pouty. And when the defense plays well enough to win, the offense disappears. When the offense scores points -like against Oakland- the defensive secondary crumbles. Hopefully Revis will give the team a boost against the Jets, and he’ll be like Ragland was today, and want to stick it to his former employer. The final thing that really stuck in my head as I was leaving Arrowhead was this: I saw all these Bills fans skipping and hollering and celebrating, as they should. They deserved to win. Then I thought, “Not only did they beat us in Arrowhead, but they get our first round draft pick next year.” That is hard cheese to swallow my friends. Hard cheese to swallow.

Rasputin
11-26-2017, 06:23 PM
First

RobBlake
11-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Honestly I think he suffers from depression and it’s linked to his best friend dying.

notorious
11-26-2017, 06:29 PM
I can't imagine watching the circus from the front row.

Godspeed GB

Rasputin
11-26-2017, 06:29 PM

Alex must be going through the motions to get through the season and on to his next team or else retire. He should do us all a favor and step aside for his replacement.

How can anyone enjoy spending their hard earned money like that?

displacedinMN
11-26-2017, 06:31 PM
depressed

Bwana
11-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Thanks George, I don't know where you found the energy after that pitifully dismal performance.

Saleenman607
11-26-2017, 06:33 PM
This is just a scrub team......a joke really
Love your takes every week tho

Rasputin
11-26-2017, 06:34 PM
I think Chiefs should pay back season ticket holders money.

RippedmyFlesh
11-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Honestly I think he suffers from depression and it’s linked to his best friend dying.

I can believe it. Just not normal behavior. Happened years ago.

Rasputin
11-26-2017, 06:43 PM
I remember back to back draw plays that netted zilch yards. I mean seriously wtfucks are they doing?

Bugeater
11-26-2017, 06:47 PM
I was on my way back from Oklahoma during the game, so my only option was to watch it on NFL Mobile. After halftime I decided it wasn't worth the data I was using up and didn't even bother watching any of the second half. I chose wisely.

RJ
11-26-2017, 06:51 PM
"Peters went for the pick instead of just breaking up the pass"

That was such an incredibly lame effort.....pissed me off more than any other single play today, even more than Smith's game-ending pick.

TwistedChief
11-26-2017, 06:52 PM
George, it was a pleasure to sit next to you as you reminded Alex Smith that he had an All Pro TE streaking right down the center of the field wide open. Marcus Peters - playing the unconventional role of Dr Phil - intervened in asking why you needed to say stuff like that to Alex. God forbid you break his fragile confidence. And then, well, Chiefs.

TEX
11-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Because Chiefs.

Saleenman607
11-26-2017, 06:55 PM
"Peters went for the pick instead of just breaking up the pass"

That was such an incredibly lame effort.....pissed me off more than any other single play today, even more than Smith's game-ending pick.

Don't worry Revis has your back 😒

cooper barrett
11-26-2017, 06:56 PM
George, If the read wasn't so good I would sugest a Cliff's version for the rest of the season:

Ten Things About Today's Game: Week 12 Buffalo 16 KC 10

1, We suck ass
2, We suck ass
3, We suck ass
4, We suck ass
5, We suck ass
6, We suck ass
7, We suck ass
8, We suck ass
9, We suck ass
10, Ragland looked pretty dammed good.

Thank you, in advance, for your consideration.

2bikemike
11-26-2017, 06:58 PM
No Freaking Run Game, Receivers running into each other. Alex is either throwing bad passes or not seeing open receivers. Horrible/predictable play calling. It seems for every good play there is 2 or 3 negative plays.

Its getting harder and harder to watch.

ping2000
11-26-2017, 07:03 PM
They don't deserve a write up. Fuck them all.

Chiefshrink
11-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Just 10 things today George?:D

I will respectfully disagree about peters. If he were a physical cornerback he would’ve gone for the pic and made it but instead he avoided the contact and went for the break up and paid for it. Go back and look at the replay where he just swats at the ball instead of going for it with contact in attempting to pick the ball off. It would’ve been justified because both the wide receiver and himself are both going for the ball I don’t think the PI would’ve been thrown in my humble opinion. But because peters is a wussy he paid the price missing out on one more pic for his resume and most of all a game changing momentum booster that could’ve put us ahead because that would’ve been a pick six. Just saying.

rockymtnchief
11-26-2017, 07:17 PM
5. Once again we saw the genuine Alex Smith. He’s getting happy feet in the pocket again. He tried running for a couple first downs in the first half, but wasn’t fast enough to get there. As the game went on, his body language got worse and worse. If you watch him on the sidelines, he only talks to Nagy or Andy. He doesn’t say a word to any of his offensive guys. In timeouts he wanders off by himself. He seems detached from the rest of his team mates. His body language reminds me a lot of the shitty Damon Huard years. Andy was more animated coming out for the second half, going over to the bench and trying to rah rah some guys; but Alex was aloof and just didn’t look like he wanted to play. He was one of the first guys down the stairs after the game was over.

Thanks for the write up

Parts like #5 are why I always read your Ten Things. I like when you let us know what is happening on the sidelines and during commercials. It gives an insight that can't be seen on tv.

Pointer19
11-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Thank you, George.

I wasn't a big enough fan to get really irked about a terrible Chiefs team. I was too young and uninterested. Now it's soul-crushing.

oldman
11-26-2017, 07:23 PM
George, you brought up several key points. First, there is no excuse for missing an open Kelce. He's 6'6", look for the big guy downfield first! Next, Peters half-asses an easy INT and it turns into a big gainer for the Bills. While I understand trying to establish the run game, you correctly pointed out there were 8 or 9 guys up close on every 1st down because they knew it was a Hunt run. Finally, checkdown passes when you are trying to win the game just doesn't cut it. Throw the freaking ball downfield.
Andy needs to take a good look at the film tomorrow and see just how sorry the QB play was today and either change the play calling, the QB, or both. Smith has clearly lost this team and Andy doesn't need to be the next in line.

Iconic
11-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Smith has no confidence. He lost most of it in SF and when it comes back it only does in spurts. When the fans were booing today you could see it on Smiths face. The guy was having PTSD-like flashbacks to when Candlestick Park was roaring "We want Carr".

otherstar
11-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Thanks George. I was at my kid's house today, so I didn't watch the game (thankfully). I always enjoy your write-ups.

gblowfish
11-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Here's a few pictures from today: Chiefs run out through fire to start the game, Fighter planes fly over, Albert Wilson and DAT on the bench, half time stats are ugly:

KC Dan
11-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Here's a few pictures from today: Chiefs run out through fire to start the game, Fighter planes fly over, Albert Wilson and DAT on the bench, half time stats are ugly:
Should've run into the fire. That would've been more exciting than the game

Prison Bitch
11-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Why didn't the fans boo the shit out of these shit heads? I kept wondering why boos didn't rain down in them esp after the last pick. They should've rained holy hell down on that hot garbage

Randallflagg
11-26-2017, 07:59 PM
I'm relatively sure that Revis is asking himself tonight - "What the hell did I get myself in to?"

Randallflagg
11-26-2017, 08:03 PM
George, you brought up several key points. First, there is no excuse for missing an open Kelce. He's 6'6", look for the big guy downfield first! Next, Peters half-asses an easy INT and it turns into a big gainer for the Bills. While I understand trying to establish the run game, you correctly pointed out there were 8 or 9 guys up close on every 1st down because they knew it was a Hunt run. Finally, checkdown passes when you are trying to win the game just doesn't cut it. Throw the freaking ball downfield.
Andy needs to take a good look at the film tomorrow and see just how sorry the QB play was today and either change the play calling, the QB, or both. Smith has clearly lost this team and Andy doesn't need to be the next in line.

I'm certainly not sure - but I wouldn't bet that Andy hasn't already lost this team....

Smith knows that this is his last year here and he probably will not get many offers from a team (Cleveland?) and I expect him to retire...at least I hope so.

mnchiefsguy
11-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Thanks george. Today was a dumpster fire, to be sure.

Deberg_1990
11-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Last few weeks have felt like a return to the Matt Cassel era.

Awful, awful offense.

HemiEd
11-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Why didn't the fans boo the shit out of these shit heads? I kept wondering why boos didn't rain down in them esp after the last pick. They should've rained holy hell down on that hot garbage

It sounded to me like there was plenty of booing.

Banner time yet?

tk13
11-26-2017, 08:24 PM
The funny thing about this team is that they can never seem to play well on both sides at the same time. This always happens with the Chiefs. Early on the offense was playing great, Smith was tearing it up, and the defense was struggling. Now the defense is playing better but the offense is completely in the tank. It's amazing how this franchise always does this... even within a single season.

Buehler445
11-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the write up George.

I decided to go spray some since the wind was down. Thank Christ I did. If I had sacrificed ANYTHING to watch this hot mess I’d have been fighting mad. We should have hung 40 on their poser defense. I was worried about Taylor wrecking our run D. LOL. Boy was I off base.

I appreciate the bits about Alex on the sideline. Maybe they need to pull him to get his head right for a few plays next week if it goes to shit like they do with Hali/DJ. I can’t imagine what film sessions are like with Nagy. At some point Reid has to say you have to see what’s there or I’ll see if the kid can. Smith has to know no defense can hold up when the first fucking first down happens in the third quarter. (Maybe it was the second. I wasn’t listening to intently)

There were a lot of boos on the radio.

Buehler445
11-26-2017, 08:41 PM
It sounded to me like there was plenty of booing.

Banner time yet?

Nah this isn’t systemic fucktardery like Pioli. As much as I hate this. This is nowhere near as bad as Pioli/Squirmin Herman Motherfucking Sack of Cunt Edwards.

scho63
11-26-2017, 08:56 PM
After 47 years of watching this team find more ways to blow leads, lose games, disappoint the fans, turn victories into defeats, go from superstars to zeros, play QB losers like Brodie Croyle and Typer Thigpen, have a team whose offense averages 40 points a game only to have a defense that lets up 45, to have kickers who miss in the playoffs on a regular basis, to have great players like Joe Delaney and Derrick Thomas die, and pretty much tease you so cruelly over the years; THIS IS HOW I FEEL WHEN I WATCH THE CHIEFS!!! :rolleyes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J8fFVOoqepc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

displacedinMN
11-26-2017, 09:10 PM

The boos were out the first half-it could be heard over the radio. Not sure of 2nd half. I shut it off.

ROYC75
11-26-2017, 09:11 PM
depressed

More like Painful.

Kinda like using 70 grit sandpaper when you jackoff.

GloryDayz
11-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Thanks, this proves I didn't miss anything, and I can free-up some space on the DVR pronto...

MahiMike
11-26-2017, 09:25 PM
I don't know how you do it George. I barely have the energy to respond here.

tx4chiefs
11-26-2017, 09:48 PM
I think Smith started the season with a vengence, so he would get picked by another team (knowing this was his last in KC). Now I think he is just playing to not get hurt. I am so sick of his throwing behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and any yards. Men open after the 1st marker and he throws behind. What an idiot. I only hopes he goes to an AFC West team and continues to play like Alex Smith!

We'll be lucky to get a 5th rounder by the end of the season.

notorious
11-26-2017, 09:51 PM
I think Smith started the season with a vengence, so he would get picked by another team (knowing this was his last in KC). Now I think he is just playing to not get hurt. I am so sick of his throwing behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and any yards. Men open after the 1st marker and he throws behind. What an idiot. I only hopes he goes to an AFC West team and continues to play like Alex Smith!

We'll be lucky to get a 5th rounder by the end of the season.

Dude is throwing his body around. He isn't afraid of getting hurt.

It's 100% mental.

GloryDayz
11-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Dude is throwing his body around. He isn't afraid of getting hurt.

It's 100% mental.

He's gay?

notorious
11-26-2017, 10:02 PM
He's gay?

I don't think he made eye contact. Isn't that the rule?

Flying High D
11-26-2017, 10:03 PM
Do other team fans go through as much crap as Chiefs fans?

gold_and_red
11-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Do other team fans go through as much crap as Chiefs fans?

Only Cleveland and Detroit. Elite company!

tk13
11-26-2017, 10:11 PM
Only Cleveland and Detroit. Elite company!

To be fair, the Bengals and Vikings probably are in the same zip code. The Vikings have had more overall success but a ton of brutal playoff failures.

MMXcalibur
11-26-2017, 10:11 PM
I don't think he made eye contact. Isn't that the rule?

The balls should NEVER touch.

Easy 6
11-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the effort, gb... it must be torture to have to sit down and run through the suckage of the last month like this

My biggest takeaway from your piece today, is Smiths aloofness on the sideline, something we cant see on tv... wandering off by himself, or only talking to Nagy or Reid

That is NOT the behavior of a leader, the top guys consistently engage the offense along the bench, particularly if the team is struggling... they dont go find their own private Idaho and get lost in their own thoughts

I dont HOPE that we lose out, but it would neither shock, nor anger me

All of my eggs are in the 2018 basket at this point, looking forward to seeing Veachs first draft and free agency period, not to mention the arrival of a swashbuckling new era under the guidance of our mobile rocket launcher

gblowfish
11-27-2017, 09:38 AM
Another fun game stat: Alex had zero pass attempts over 20 yards. Zero.

scho63
11-27-2017, 06:08 PM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rmQL7i3CfTY/hqdefault.jpg

GloryDayz
11-27-2017, 06:13 PM

It was very windy, right?

SAUTO
11-27-2017, 06:44 PM
We suck, thanks George