PDA

View Full Version : Money Do you donate to your alma mater?

DaFace
11-28-2017, 05:35 PM
This time of year, I always feel inundated by requests for donations, but my college seems to be the worst of the bunch. I think I've probably ignored around 10-15 phone calls in the past month, and I've deleted about as many emails in that same time period. And, mind you, I donated just a couple months ago as well. It's obnoxious.

Am I a bad person for getting tired of it, or am I the weird one for still sending money to the organization that I paid good money to attend in the first place?

LoneWolf
11-28-2017, 05:37 PM
I donate every year. The calls and emails do get annoying.

kccrow
11-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Nope. I paid them plenty just to go there, I'm not donating more.

loochy
11-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Never. I donated for 7 years (that includes grad school). I don't feel like any more donation is necessary.

My wife gives to one of her grad schools because she had a particularly good experience there.

Infidel Goat
11-28-2017, 05:46 PM
I donate a relatively small amount to my undergraduate college yearly. The Advancement offices know there are bigger fish out there for them and so I don't get bothered very often.

Side note: one of the metrics that US News & World Report uses in ranking colleges is alumni giving percentage, so it actually helps your alma mater's ranking if lots of graduates give even $10. It's a silly rubric, but an easy way to make your diploma more valuable.

ChiefsCountry
11-28-2017, 05:48 PM
To the athletic department.

Easy 6
11-28-2017, 05:48 PM
The 3 semesters I spent at Lincoln Land Community College dont really require it

DJ's left nut
11-28-2017, 05:52 PM
I got a substantial scholarship yanked after my first semester and was told that if I did A, B and C, I'd get it back.

Well I did and when it came time to give it back, they told me they'd already allocated it elsewhere. They even acknowledged the fact that I'd satisfied all requirements but they simply spent it already. They tossed me some piddly little private scholarship as a consolation; pennies on the dollar compared to what I had. Cost me about $20K in student loans.

So needless to say, they can kiss my ass. I used to get calls until I wrote them a letter and advised them that so long as [x person] is drawing a paycheck from them, they won't be getting a cent from me. I haven't heard from them since.

Beyond that, until such time as I have $20,000 in surplus cash just sitting around with no idea of how to spend it, I won't be sending them any money either. I'm just a tad bitter about how that whole thing went down.

TwistedChief
11-28-2017, 05:53 PM
There are so many better causes out there than donating to a higher education enterprise that still raises its tuition ever year and uses your funds to advance in a neverending endowment race. At least in my experience.

Coach
11-28-2017, 06:33 PM
You’re not a bad person to not donate to a college. I’d recommend high school though if you had good experiences.

TLO
11-28-2017, 06:35 PM
No. I've only been graduated for a few years, but I truly see no reason why they need MORE of my money.

They got enough of it the first time.

Kiimo
11-28-2017, 06:35 PM
I do. It gives me moral highground to bitch about KU having to spend money keeping one of their idiot freshmen eligible.

Clyde Frog
11-28-2017, 06:36 PM
**** no. I'm still up to my neck in student loans from going there in the first place. Why anyone who didn't get a scholarship or has kids close to the age of being accepted or currently going to their school would give money to a for profit entity baffles me.

Still get bi-yearly phone calls asking for money and I ignore them, every time.

wazu
11-28-2017, 06:42 PM
When Missouri State decides to compete in sports we can talk.

rico
11-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Fuck no. For reasons already mentioned.

displacedinMN
11-28-2017, 06:53 PM
Yes, once a year. But never enough to get into the alumni magazine.

Bob Dole
11-28-2017, 07:09 PM
I stopped when CS1950 took over running the school.

notorious
11-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Spartan School of Aeronautics is making plenty of money. They don't need my donations.

Tombstone RJ
11-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Nope, and they call me a few times a year. I told the moron gal on the phone that I refuse to give money to institutions of higher education that are in lock step with the liberal leftist communists who have infiltrated our educational institutions in the USA.

lewdog
11-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Nope. But I am always nice to the students calling. Was a $10/hr job you could do on campus for some extra cash.

BryanBusby
11-28-2017, 07:16 PM
I always send them autograhped pictures of my dick every year, but it's always sent back.....

ThaVirus
11-28-2017, 07:23 PM
I don’t think I’d ever donate to my alma mater. I honestly don’t understand why anyone would? Someone care to explain?

Pablo
11-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Nope, and they call me a few times a year. I told the moron gal on the phone that I refuse to give money to institutions of higher education that are in lock step with the liberal leftist communists who have infiltrated our educational institutions in the USA.LMAO

Boy. You really showed her you douche. Bet she went right back and reported that to the head of the student call center and they scratched you right off their list.

Told my Alma mater as long as the Luminaughty was getting mah money to perform sex acts on aliens then ain't giving no more!

lewdog
11-28-2017, 07:32 PM
I don’t think I’d ever donate to my alma mater. I honestly don’t understand why anyone would? Someone care to explain?

Tax write-off and makes people feel good.

Kiimo
11-28-2017, 07:34 PM
Nope, and they call me a few times a year. I told the moron gal on the phone that I refuse to give money to institutions of higher education that are in lock step with the liberal leftist communists who have infiltrated our educational institutions in the USA.

You are a retarded dumb ass.

Rain Man
11-28-2017, 07:36 PM
I always send them autograhped pictures of my dick every year, but it's always sent back.....

Perhaps they're looking for a larger gift.

Ba-dum-dump. (Cymbal clash.)

Rain Man
11-28-2017, 07:40 PM
My undergrad school gave me a full ride scholarship, and I'm exceedingly grateful for that. I've always thought that some day I'll pay it forward and donate enough for another person to get the same deal. But then I get 20 calls from them and it makes me so mad that I refuse to donate a penny. It must be donation time because I ignored at least a dozen calls before finally picking up and telling them to stop calling.

But someday I'd really like to pay it forward. My will specifies that if I've got sufficient funds upon ascending to the heavens amid a fanfare of trumpets, I'll set up a legacy scholarship at my high school.

Third Eye
11-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Since we have become a single-income family of four, I’ve had to cut out a lot of that kind of spending. I do still donate my time though. Just a couple of months ago a professor reached out to me as they were preparing to propose a new undergraduate degree program in Actuarial Science before the curators. I reviewed what they were doing, gave them some feedback, and wrote up a letter talking about the benefits of said program. Now that the program has been approved, I’m working with them to establish a pipeline for employment with my company.

They were very good to me in my time there, so I like to help in any way I can.

BryanBusby
11-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Perhaps they're looking for a larger gift.

Ba-dum-dump. (Cymbal clash.)
I even zoomed the camera up 100x for them. Jerks!

ChiTown
11-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Yes, for both academics and athletics at K-State.

Spott
11-28-2017, 08:34 PM
I do, but only to the school where I got my undergraduate degree.

Spott
11-28-2017, 08:36 PM

Coming from a donkey shitbag like you, your lame attempt at insulting her meant absolutely nothing.

kcxiv
11-28-2017, 08:42 PM

you really told her! She yawned and dialed the next number.

Discuss Thrower
11-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Probably not going to feel good about donating to the institution that wants to ban the reason why I chose to go there.

19now11
11-28-2017, 08:50 PM
Never. I donated for 7 years (that includes grad school). I don't feel like any more donation is necessary.

My wife gives to one of her grad schools because she had a particularly good experience there.

first and only orgasm? get fisted pillowbiter. PBJ:loser:nlm4321:LOL::D

Chiefspants
11-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Nah. Not while I'm still 52K in debt because of my attendance at the institution.

I do offer that I'll match them if they donate to my non-profit, though. They haven't taken me up on that offer.

19now11
11-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Probably not going to feel good about donating to the institution that wants to ban the reason why I chose to go there.

gay marriage ?

DanT
11-28-2017, 09:26 PM
I am glad to support both of my alma maters. I wouldn't have been able to afford my undergraduate school, the University of Chicago, without their generous grants in aid, and my graduate school, the University of Illinois at Chicago, was so amazingly affordable for such an outstanding school that I'm very happy to support them, too.

I'm a little bit surprised at how relatively few alumni support their alma mater. I believe it's now under 10 percent, having steadily dropped these past couple of decades. (https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/28/2014-record-year-higher-ed-donations) If for no other reason, it seems to me to be a good thing to do purely to enhance the prestige of the school, which ends up reflecting well on the graduates.

I remember thinking even as a high school senior that I would always want to give money to my college, just to thank them for taking a chance on me.

Iowanian
11-28-2017, 10:40 PM
I donate to local schools all the time but I have zero interest in donating another dime to my inversion of choice. I donated to my own student loans for years.

We had an agreement. I pay them, they educate me in my field of choice.

tatorhog
11-28-2017, 11:18 PM
No, but I do give money to a grade school for things like paying lunch bills, book fees, etc that are behind for kids whose families can’t cover it for whatever reason.

That’s the only money I give to schools. Colleges are sitting on enough cash they could drastically lower tuition if they really gave a shit.

Buehler445
11-28-2017, 11:20 PM
Face, every time I’ve told them I can’t this year they’ve quit calling. As long as you let them update your info and tell them you’re out they’ve left me alone. Be sure to tell them to update your wife’s info too. So they don’t hang up and call her.

Only place I’ve ever donated to though is the scholarship. You might be on a bunch of lists if you’ve donated to some other “cause”.

FWIW you’re a better alumnus than I am I haven’t donated in a couple years. It’s fun to spout off grain prices and listen to them try to figure out what to say.

Nope. But I am always nice to the students calling. Was a $10/hr job you could do on campus for some extra cash.

When I was there I did it for free. Did I get hosed?

They call me because I got a scholarship there. It makes some sense. I got some education on other people’s dime. Makes sense that I should return the favor for some other punk ass like me that will hopefully use the education to in-dumbfuck themselves like I did.

Cornstock
11-28-2017, 11:35 PM
I went to a small Christian college, they called me all the time the first few years after I graduated. Comical, considering most recent grads aren't in any financial position to donate. Especially considering all the majors outside of education and nursing have a woeful time finding employment in their area of study because of the lack of career development networking opportunities afforded.

I haven't heard from them in years, but now that I'm actually making a bit of money (in a field completely unrelated to my studies) I might at least consider it.

Eleazar
11-29-2017, 08:10 AM
I donated unholy sums of money to them for 7 years. I feel that I gave at the office.

ptlyon
11-29-2017, 08:19 AM
I fart in that general direction whenever the wind blows that way

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-29-2017, 08:57 AM
Giving is important as most of us received some type of aid to go to that school outside of federal or state Grants and loans. This is funded by Alumni giving back. Alumni capital campaigns also fund new buildings and betterment of campuses, this is valuable to current students as were those improvements made before and when you went to the institution.

The above being said, it is getting harder and harder for me to fill good about my giving with the liberal agenda I see my Alma Mater pushing.

oldman
11-29-2017, 09:14 AM
We were unable to give the 1st few years after I graduated. Two kids, 2 sets of college loans. They just stopped calling after awhile.

Unsmooth-Moment
11-29-2017, 09:48 AM
I don't receive calls anymore, but I do not donate to the university. I may in the future, but right now I have my own goals I need to achieve.

TEX
11-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Yep. Every year to the annual fund and to my individual college. For me, it was just a matter where I was in life. I've been out of college now for 20+ years, and am fortunate to be able to give back at this point in my life, so I do. GO COOGS!

patteeu
11-29-2017, 09:54 AM
The longtime partner of a gay friend of mine wrote a check to my friend's alma mater on his behalf and now that partner gets solicited independently.

loochy
11-29-2017, 10:23 AM
The longtime partner of a gay friend of mine wrote a check to my friend's alma mater on his behalf and now that partner gets solicited independently.
Ha! We all know that Republicans can't have gay friends!
Posted via Mobile Device

Predarat
11-29-2017, 10:31 AM
I do when I fell compelled to, pleased with them, and have the extra money. The odds of those three variables all being yes are approximately 3720 to 1. Giving a football coach an automatic contract extension for a 6-6 season just does not do it for me when they are 1-5 in bowls.

Amnorix
11-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Hell no. Colleges soak their students dry, overcharge, increase tuition at rates far above tuition, and then go back to their graduates (many of whom are saddled with student debt forever) and cry poor and ask for more.

Fuck them all.

Dunit35
11-29-2017, 10:41 AM
I guess my school doesn't care about me. Don't recall them ever asking for money.

They got enough from me when I was a student. I did pay off the $26k I owed, four years short of the loan length.

Iowanian
11-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Instead of donating to a mindless institution, feel free to send me a check for my children's college funds. I won't even waste 60% on administrative fees, call center employees, or allow them to waste the money on unemployable degrees that further drive up tuition prices.

Furthermore, I'd be more inclined to consider it if I didn't have trouble getting a single member of the department I graduated from to respond to a single email I've sent about items that should interest them, like job opportunities for their graduates.

As it is, all of my available college related funds will be invested for my own offspring.

Otter
11-29-2017, 10:48 AM
I get a monthly magazine from them and that's about the only contact the two of us have had since I took off my gown. How long have you had the same phone number and email address?

BlackHelicopters
11-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Donate to all four universities I attended. UMKC, Mizzou, Mississippi St, and Missouri Southern.

Bwana
11-29-2017, 11:00 AM
They have an annual wine festival that's obnoxiously expensive which I attend about every 3rd year with my wife, other than that, no.

cooper barrett
11-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Was this MU?

I got a substantial scholarship yanked after my first semester and was told that if I did A, B and C, I'd get it back.

Well I did and when it came time to give it back, they told me they'd already allocated it elsewhere. They even acknowledged the fact that I'd satisfied all requirements but they simply spent it already. They tossed me some piddly little private scholarship as a consolation; pennies on the dollar compared to what I had. Cost me about $20K in student loans.

So needless to say, they can kiss my ass. I used to get calls until I wrote them a letter and advised them that so long as [x person] is drawing a paycheck from them, they won't be getting a cent from me. I haven't heard from them since.

Beyond that, until such time as I have $20,000 in surplus cash just sitting around with no idea of how to spend it, I won't be sending them any money either. I'm just a tad bitter about how that whole thing went down.

cooper barrett
11-29-2017, 11:19 AM
The 3 semesters I spent at Lincoln Land Community College dont really require it

I had to look it up, I thought it was a joke.

I thought Bart may have attended there but it was Homer. It's just south of U of I-Springfield. After the nuclear meltdown, caused by Homer, they renamed it LincolnLand and got rid of the pig for a mascot and now are just known as the "Loggers". Must have been great to be a young co-ed at a school known for chopping wood.

https://compcademy.neocities.org/img/llcc/campus-map.png

Easy6 was there with Homer when they stole the school mascot. "Sir Oinks-a-lot"
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LME7lsJdVu2C48g/giphy.gif

kysirsoze
11-29-2017, 11:31 AM
No. I also don't giver my health insurer an annual donation. No extra money for Verizon either I'm afraid. I'm a real cheap SOB.

Rain Man
11-29-2017, 11:47 AM

We used to give a donation to our animal shelter every year in our cat's honor, because he was a really awesome cat who came from the shelter. It was usually $50 a year, and then I think they'd spend $20 of that sending us followup donation solicitations. It was kind of annoying, but we kept giving because our cat was so awesome.

gblowfish
11-29-2017, 12:18 PM
I pay my annual alumni dues, and send money occasionally to the college radio station.

Scooter LaCanforno
11-29-2017, 12:50 PM
I keep getting letters from 2 Universities that I didn't attend. They said thank you for the $200.00 that I never gave them, and asked me when I'd pay them the additional $800.00 I pledged them. F'N Scuzballs.

cooper barrett
11-29-2017, 01:05 PM
My Ex wife's university, MU, never called but her name had changed and she never had a reason to tell them as she only had one teaching job in her career. So she never had any reason to contact them in 35 years.

My university called once, I told them they had the wrong person and trey never called again.

I would never give money to a state university after seeing what they do when people die and have them listed as a beneficiary of the estate. The University of Arizona contested a will stating that property given to a spouse had a clause or stipulation stating that at the time of her death all real property returned to being the property of her late husband's estate.

I purchased a property from the woman, a vacation home, before her death and after she passed away, a few years later, AU came after the property questioning rightful ownership claiming diminished capacity. I let the title insurance co work it out.

After that, if it were not for scholarships, I would never sent my kids to a state university. Giving them my money? I don't think so, I'd rather send the homeless to vocational schools which is something I support with my time and money here in Indiana. We have an unemployment rate under 3% currently.

My SO does write a check every year to a fund that is not controlled by Washington University in St Louis that helps students with families to be able to make learning a higher priority than working to pay the bills. It keep students who have children while in college able to stay in college when there are no scholarship opportunities available. WU turns their backs on them if they don't have family money...

cooper barrett
11-29-2017, 07:31 PM
I keep getting letters from 2 Universities that I didn't attend. They said thank you for the $200.00 that I never gave them, and asked me when I'd pay them the additional $800.00 I pledged them. F'N Scuzballs.

Did you ask for the tax receipt?

threebag
11-29-2017, 07:41 PM
There are far better choices to receive donations. My favorite is Humane Society