PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Do you remember how Reid benched McNabb?

ModSocks
11-29-2017, 03:52 PM
I didn't either so i looked...

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/what-theyre-saying-mcnabb-benching

"There's no shortage of responses to Andy Reid's decision to come out of halftime with Kevin Kolb under center, and most of them aren't favorable."

"Nothing was working for the offense as a whole in the first half......"

"On top of that, Reid admitted that he didn't even personally tell 5 he'd be benched—QB coach Pat Shurmur took that duty....."

"But the measure of Reid's resolve that a change has to be made, and
the best indication that Kolb will become the starter, is that the
score was just 10-7 when McNabb was pulled. In the past, there wouldn't
have been any question. That was then, however."

The Franchise
11-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Boom.

When Reid had quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur tell McNabb that Kolb
would play in the second half, that should've been it. The McNabb era
was rocketing to a close anyway. Although no one in the organization
had officially said so, Kolb was going to be the starter when the first
minicamp of 2009 opened.

So Reid made the move yesterday after McNabb threw two picks and
lost a fumble. He humiliated and humbled McNabb, who stood on the
sideline the entire second half like an island, a black sweatshirt hood
pulled over his head as he gamely encouraged his teammates.

What really would be gained by putting him back out there now? It
wouldn't be fair to McNabb, who after a decade here deserves better
than a late-season quarterback competition or an indecisive head coach.
It wouldn't be fair to the Eagles' offense, which is in dire need of
stability, not a quarterback controversy. And it wouldn't be fair to
Kolb, the young man whose time as the starting quarterback was going to
begin next season anyway.

ModSocks
11-29-2017, 03:53 PM
He would then go on to start McNabb again....and then bench him again 2 seasons later...

ModSocks
11-29-2017, 03:55 PM
"The Eagles temporarily pulled the plug on the 'Kevin Kolb Era' Tuesday night after 10 passes, two quarters and an "exceptional" relief job by Michael Vick.

At a hastily and it appears strategically called news conference, head coach Andy Reid said he prefers starting Vick this week instead of Kolb, the quarterback the Eagles anointed their future."

http://www.trentonian.com/article/TT/20100921/SPORTS/309219966

Eleazar
11-29-2017, 03:55 PM
He would then go on to start McNabb again....and then bench him again 2 seasons later...

He also went on to think Kevin Kolb was his guy, and he also went on to not develop him.

OKchiefs
11-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Alex Smith is nobody compared to McNabb, and Mahomes is 10x the prospect Kolb was. If Smith has another first half like he did last week it should be an easy decision.

BucEyedPea
11-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Do you remember how Reid benched McNabb?
Yes, I do.

ModSocks
11-29-2017, 03:58 PM
Andy Reid coach speaking up Kevin Kolb after benching him for Vick:

"Kevin's fine. This is not an injury related issue."

He said Kolb can still be a "championship level quarterback" but needs an "opportunity to mature."

Asked if this was the toughest decision he has had to make, Reid said "tough, but tough in a good way."

He painted the decision to bench Kolb as a way to help him grow, even after three years on the bench.

"I actually think this helps Kevin Kolb's maturation process," Reid said, adding that it will allow Kolb to continue to learn. "The future is bright for Kevin Kolb."

ModSocks
11-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Reid benching Vick for Foles:

"Michael Vick has likely taken his last snap as the Eagles' starting quarterback.

Andy Reid made that official today when he named Nick Foles the starting quarterback for the rest of the season, regardless of whether or not Vick passes his concussion tests and can return to the field.

"Where we are at in the season, it’s the right thing to do," Reid said on the move.

Reid said that he has already spoken to Vick about the decision, and that the quarterback was on board with the move.

"He was very positive about it," Reid said. "He completely understood and was on board.”

ModSocks
11-29-2017, 04:07 PM
It's only a matter of time...

The Franchise
11-29-2017, 04:09 PM
When the Chargers beat the Browns and we lose to the Jets.....it will be time.

Dayze
11-29-2017, 04:13 PM
this whole thing is so weird to me. Seeing so much footage of bad play from Alex, yet seeing him week after week doing the same thing.

I have no idea what Andy is going to do. part of me thinks he's stubborn and he's going to roll with Alex the rest of the year no matter what.

The other part of me thinks he's seen Alex's weaknesses for a few years but didn't worry 'too' much about it since no one else was going to do any better and our Defense & ST were playing well; then we draft Pat, and the last few weeks (particularly the last two) issues are now glaring - Andy isn't so much making a decision on if he should bench Alex, but trying to figure out if Pat is ready.

I have no idea.
I just can't believe how coaches and players can see the same film / similar film that has been posted here and other places, and not be completely flabbergasted as to WTF is wrong with Alex.

Marcellus
11-29-2017, 04:17 PM
This is why all those ridiculous comments about Reid never benching Smith and they had a 'deal" stuff is laughable.

I said 2 weeks ago Reid would bench Smith if it comes that time. I just dont think its going to crack until we slide back to .500 or are in danger in the Jets game.

arrwheader
11-29-2017, 04:17 PM
this whole thing is so weird to me. Seeing so much footage of bad play from Alex, yet seeing him week after week doing the same thing.

I have no idea what Andy is going to do. part of me thinks he's stubborn and he's going to roll with Alex the rest of the year no matter what.

The other part of me thinks he's seen Alex's weaknesses for a few years but didn't worry 'too' much about it since no one else was going to do any better and our Defense & ST were playing well; then we draft Pat, and the last few weeks (particularly the last two) issues are now glaring - Andy isn't so much making a decision on if he should bench Alex, but trying to figure out if Pat is ready.

I have no idea.
I just can't believe how coaches and players can see the same film / similar film that has been posted here and other places, and not be completely flabbergasted as to WTF is wrong with Alex.

I chalk it up to they saw Alex play like he did the first 5 games and think he can return to form. If anything they will lose this week and they will have to make the change. However what will probably happen is Alex goes full rain man and throws 8tds and extends his leash because Chiefs.

Chiefnj2
11-29-2017, 04:21 PM
If he's thinking about making a switch, he might think about giving Mahomes more than 3 snaps in practice during the week.

OKchiefs
11-29-2017, 04:23 PM
If Alex is benched I can't wait to see the cameras focus in on a broken shell of a man on the sidelines.

Chiefnj2
11-29-2017, 04:25 PM
"Please continue your boneheaded decisions for the next 5 weeks, and
then leave town never to return. You are a disgrace. You threw in the
towel during halftime of a 10-7 game, and didn't have the balls to tell
your quarterback to his face.

This isn't benching T.O, this is benching
the QB that you personally chose to lead your team 10 years ago and
have stuck by (frustratingly so) regardless of his play. I think he has
sucked, but you did nothing for your team nor Donovan by doing it when
you did.

The postgame press conference afterwards
was high comedy- your usual non-answers took special meaning, as today
you truly didn't have any. You had no clue what had just happened on
the field, Andy. NO fucking clue.

Hopefully Jeff Lurie
will have the balls (I doubt it) to tell you to your face that you're
fired, because if you are in the organization in any capacity next
year, I will find it very hard to support it."

Reerun_KC
11-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Andy hasn’t changed a bit.

chiefzilla1501
11-29-2017, 04:27 PM
"The Eagles temporarily pulled the plug on the 'Kevin Kolb Era' Tuesday night after 10 passes, two quarters and an "exceptional" relief job by Michael Vick.

At a hastily and it appears strategically called news conference, head coach Andy Reid said he prefers starting Vick this week instead of Kolb, the quarterback the Eagles anointed their future."

http://www.trentonian.com/article/TT/20100921/SPORTS/309219966

Yup. Reid isn't afraid to bench a starting qb. I think it's clear as hell and clear even before the season started that he wants mahomes to start but only when he's ready. I think this has a lot less to do with Andy being loyal to Alex vs Andy not wanting to rush mahomes. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

Foles and Kolb were gambles. You try them, see if they work, and move on if they don't. Mahomes is a guy who once you start him, you commit to him. That's where I see the big difference. There seems to be plenty of smoke that Andy wants mahomes to run an offense built around him, not Alex. I totally buy that and am on with that much as I'd love to see him play right away.

Molitoth
11-29-2017, 04:29 PM
If Alex is benched I can't wait to see the cameras focus in on a broken shell of a man on the sidelines.

My goodness, lol.

I mean I HATE Alex Smith as the Chiefs QB... but as a human being, he's fine.

Lighten up a little.

OKchiefs
11-29-2017, 04:31 PM
My goodness, lol.

I mean I HATE Alex Smith as the Chiefs QB... but as a human being, he's fine.

Lighten up a little.

Hey, I'm not wishing injury or anything. I just will be giddy at seeing him look broken and dejected.

PAChiefsGuy
11-29-2017, 04:36 PM

I think you are taking his play on the field a little too personally.

In58men
11-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Bench Lounge

Mile High Mania
11-29-2017, 05:07 PM
"Whaddya do... whaddya do? Are they looking at me... don't panic."

http://img34.laughinggif.com/pic/HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvS3dPa0FCeEdtT3dscS9naXBoeS5naWYlog.gif

BlackHelicopters
11-29-2017, 05:09 PM
The understanding of the current NFL game has passed Reid by. He is doing what he did in Philly. Handling personnel decisions. He isn’t up to that task. We should have known this when Dorsey was fired. Many on here will dispute this, but the slide is happening before our eyes. I want to be wrong.

staylor26
11-29-2017, 05:22 PM
The understanding of the current NFL game has passed Reid by. He is doing what he did in Philly. Handling personnel decisions He isn’t up to that task. We should have known this when Dorsey was fired. Many on here will dispute this, but the slide is happening before our eyes. I want to be wrong.

:facepalm:

Easily the most retarded ****ing narrative on CP.

notorious
11-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Reid didn't forget how to coach FFS. As soon as his new QB gets comfortable we will all be worshiping the ground he walks on.

Buffets across town will give him comp meals again, too.

chiefzilla1501
11-29-2017, 05:48 PM
"Please continue your boneheaded decisions for the next 5 weeks, and
then leave town never to return. You are a disgrace. You threw in the
towel during halftime of a 10-7 game, and didn't have the balls to tell
your quarterback to his face.

This isn't benching T.O, this is benching
the QB that you personally chose to lead your team 10 years ago and
have stuck by (frustratingly so) regardless of his play. I think he has
sucked, but you did nothing for your team nor Donovan by doing it when
you did.

The postgame press conference afterwards
was high comedy- your usual non-answers took special meaning, as today
you truly didn't have any. You had no clue what had just happened on
the field, Andy. NO ****ing clue.

Hopefully Jeff Lurie
will have the balls (I doubt it) to tell you to your face that you're
fired, because if you are in the organization in any capacity next
year, I will find it very hard to support it."

Just because he is starting Alex Smith doesn't mean he endorses Smith over mahomes. He is also one of the main guys who pushed to get mahomes. Reid has many flaws but i don't think he has any delusions right now about what Alex is and what mahomes is capable of.

Chief Roundup
11-29-2017, 06:16 PM

Care to elaborate a little more.
He has brought a lot of his staff from or players from Philly and made them staff.

Deberg_1990
11-29-2017, 06:59 PM
How did he bench Pederson in 1999? I dont think McNabb started his rookie year until like game 9 or 10?

Of course, that was a pretty all around horrible team...

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-29-2017, 07:51 PM
Reid knows benching Smith is a big deal. When it happens there's going to be a media storm and he knows it will be a permanent change. Plus his trade value will plummet. It IS a big decision and has to be a last resort .

Chiefnj2
11-29-2017, 08:04 PM
I think the bigger picture people are missing is that the benching of McNabb for Kolb was impulsive. Kolb was not prepared and played poorly.

Chiefshrink
11-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Press: Andy when you benched McNabb was it an easy decision at that point?

Andy: Hey guys, this is a totally different situation and like I said enough with the change at QB talk. This is all on me and I just have to do better getting Alex in a better place to make plays.

staylor26
11-29-2017, 10:15 PM
Care to elaborate a little more.
He has brought a lot of his staff from or players from Philly and made them staff.

Sounds like you lack reading comprehension because I don’t see what that has to do with him secretly being in charge of personnel.

Andy Reid is not the GM in disguise. Brett Veach is not a ****ing “yes man”. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a ****ing moron.

Chiefshrink
11-29-2017, 10:16 PM
Plus his trade value will plummet. It IS a big decision and has to be a last resort .

How is it not plummeting now ? How does his trade value remain high if 'clearly' he is the big reason for our losses missing wide open receivers that you know other teams who are interested see on tape?

Chiefshrink
11-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Sounds like you lack reading comprehension because I don’t see what that has to do with him secretly being in charge of personnel.

Andy Reid is not the GM in disguise. Brett Veach is not a ****ing “yes man”. Anybody who thinks otherwise is a ****ing moron.

Have hard evidential proof ?

staylor26
11-29-2017, 10:21 PM
Have hard evidential proof ?

The irony.

Yes I do. Brett Veach is the GM and nothing they’ve said/done supports this stupid conspiracy theory. Does anybody with sense really believe we have a fake GM?

Good grief.

Chiefshrink
11-29-2017, 10:21 PM
Reid gets his contract extension and almost in the same breath Dorsey is fired is a MASSIVE TELL on who is really in charge.

staylor26
11-29-2017, 10:23 PM
Reid gets his contract extension and almost in the same breath Dorsey is fired is a MASSIVE TELL on who is really in charge.

You do realize that they’re were both going into the last year of their contract right?

That means absolutely nothing.

Also, with this logic, they’re covering up that Reid is the real GM, but they also made it very obvious with this MASSIVE TELL. What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Chief Roundup
11-29-2017, 10:28 PM

ROFL Keep being the homer ostrich that you are.
There is a reason that most of the staff has came over from Philly or was under Reid at Philly at some point. There is a reason that we brought in Veach that was under Reid in Philly. I am not saying that every move Veach makes has to be approved by Reid but Veach will not make a move that Reid might not like PERIOD.
Why do you think that Dorsey was let go right after Maclin was released? That was a good move that needed to be made. A rookie GM is allowed mistakes just as a rookie HC and QB.

staylor26
11-29-2017, 10:31 PM
ROFL Keep being the homer ostrich that you are.
There is a reason that most of the staff has came over from Philly or was under Reid at Philly at some point. There is a reason that we brought in Veach that was under Reid in Philly. I am not saying that every move Veach makes has to be approved by Reid but Veach will not make a move that Reid might not like PERIOD.
Why do you think that Dorsey was let go right after Maclin was released? That was a good move that needed to be made. A rookie GM is allowed mistakes just as a rookie HC and QB.

I wasn’t even happy about the Dorsey firing you stupid ****.

News flash: every retread HC brings guys from their previous stops. Again, it means absolutely nothing and is irrelevant.

Also, if you think Dorsey was fired simply because he cut Maclin, then you’re simply retarded.

Chief Roundup
11-29-2017, 10:34 PM
The irony.

Yes I do. Brett Veach is the GM and nothing they’ve said/done supports this stupid conspiracy theory. Does anybody with sense really believe we have a fake GM?

Good grief.

So then all the draft picks and moves Dorsey made were on him and him alone and Reid did not want one, a few, any of them?
Reid doesn't want all the responsibility and cannot do everything as far as the draft and such. Hell he can't even right the ship here currently.
Make no mistake Reid is in charge but he has delegated some of the responsibility to someone that he trusts but will defer to him on any decision that is not completely obvious.

Chief Roundup
11-29-2017, 10:35 PM

News flash: every retread HC brings guys from their previous stops. Again, it means absolutely nothing and is irrelevant.

Also, if you think Dorsey was fired simply because he cut Maclin, then you’re simply retarded.

Ever heard of the straw that broke the camels back?

staylor26
11-29-2017, 10:37 PM
So then all the draft picks and moves Dorsey made were on him and him alone and Reid did not want one, a few, any of them?
Reid doesn't want all the responsibility and cannot do everything as far as the draft and such. Hell he can't even right the ship here currently.
Make no mistake Reid is in charge but he has delegated some of the responsibility to someone that he trusts but will defer to him on any decision that is not completely obvious.

No, not at all mouth breather.

I’m suggesting that their relationship for the most part is like every single other GM/HC and there’s no conpiracy that Reid is secretly in charge of personnel.

Veach was a legitimate GM candidate and could’ve gotten another job if he wanted to wait. Why the fuck would he sign up for “pretend GM”?

Chief Roundup
11-29-2017, 10:39 PM

Yes one or two, but not damn near the entire staff. And so many make their kids assistant coaches too and bring in multiple ex-players to be on their staff.

staylor26
11-29-2017, 10:39 PM
Ever heard of the straw that broke the camels back?

Yes I have, and this is exactly what happened, but in regards to Clark/Dorsey not Reid/Dorsey.

Dorsey wasn’t fired because he didn’t make the personnel decisions that Reid wanted, so they wanted a good little bitch that would, but continue to believe that retarded shit if you want to.

Chief Roundup
11-29-2017, 10:40 PM
No, not at all mouth breather.

I’m suggesting that their relationship for the most part is like every single other GM/HC and there’s no conpiracy that Reid is secretly in charge of personnel.

Veach was a legitimate GM candidate and could’ve gotten another job if he wanted to wait. Why the fuck would he sign up for “pretend GM”?

Duh if you get a GM opportunity you take it much like a HC opportunity, especially if there is history there and you think that it can make you look successful at all.

Chiefshrink
11-29-2017, 10:40 PM
You do realize that they’re were both going into the last year of their contract right?

That means absolutely nothing.

Also, with this logic they’re covering up that Reid is the real GM, but they also made it very obvious with this MASSIVE TELL.

Doesn't matter if they were both going into the last year. Why didn't Dorsey get his extension as well ? Dorsey made his bed no doubt and how he made his bed was used to fire him IMHO. But the real reason was that Reid wanted Dorsey gone because Reid over time began to realize Dorsey was not a yes man GM and was making decisions apart from Reid's input. Also I think Reid was tired of all the Dorsey accolades of player personnell whether the draft or FA. Now obviously this is all my own speculation and like you I have no real hard evidence. You want to believe Veach is his own man and the timing of Dorsey's firing to me say's otherwise.

It may eventually come out why Dorsey was let go but no one knows for sure the specifics. But like CR said, Dorsey has brought in many yes people from Philly and actions speak louder than words. Veach must run everything through Andy FIRST I assure you.:hmmm:

staylor26
11-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Yes one or two, but not damn near the entire staff. And so many make their kids assistant coaches too and bring in multiple ex-players to be on their staff.

“Damn near the entire staff? :facepalm:

Like Sutton, Gibbs, Thomas, Heck, Bienemy etc? The entire front office aside from Veach?

Of course most of the staff offensively was with Reid in Philly, but that makes sense to anybody that has a ****ing clue. They were all let go in Philly, so of course he was going to keep his core staff offensively (OC/QB coach/WR coach).

splatbass
11-30-2017, 12:33 AM
Doesn't matter if they were both going into the last year. Why didn't Dorsey get his extension as well ? Dorsey made his bed no doubt and how he made his bed was used to fire him IMHO. But the real reason was that Reid wanted Dorsey gone because Reid over time began to realize Dorsey was not a yes man GM and was making decisions apart from Reid's input.

You have absolutely no way of knowing this.

11-30-2017, 01:41 AM
When the Chargers beat the Browns and we lose to the Jets.....it will be time.

I'm fully expecting this to happen. Well not necessarily Smith getting yanked but the other two things definitely.

Marcellus
11-30-2017, 08:27 AM

What exactly is your point here?

You seriously don't think when coaches go from one place to another they don't bring most of their staff and hire ex players etc...Seriously?

And I still understand the relevance. Andy has control over his staff just like EVERY coach in the NFL. So what?

Chiefnj2
11-30-2017, 08:32 AM
What exactly is your point here?

You seriously don't think when coaches go from one place to another they don't bring most of their staff and hire ex players etc...Seriously?

And I still understand the relevance. Andy has control over his staff just like EVERY coach in the NFL. So what?

I believe the point and concern is that Andy is heading in the same direction that he did in his last few years in Philly and it did not work out well.

Marcellus
11-30-2017, 08:36 AM
I believe the point and concern is that Andy is heading in the same direction that he did in his last few years in Philly and it did not work out well.

How is that? They spent 2 first round draft picks on a QB in Philly his last few years?

They had a GM who reported to the owner in Philly?

All this hand wringing and comparison to Reid's days in Philly is ridiculous.

We all know whats wrong with this team right now, its Alex Smith.

If he hits half the open targets he could have the last 6 games we are still undefeated or maybe 10-1.

Stew on that for a bit.

Chiefnj2
11-30-2017, 08:46 AM
How is that? They spent 2 first round draft picks on a QB in Philly his last few years?

They had a GM who reported to the owner in Philly?

All this hand wringing and comparison to Reid's days in Philly is ridiculous.

We all know whats wrong with this team right now, its Alex Smith.

If he hits half the open targets he could have the last 6 games we are still undefeated or maybe 10-1.

Stew on that for a bit.

More in the line of getting more power and not being able to handle it. He doesn't seem to be able to be HC and OC at the same time and now he has [a stooge or friend or close associate] as GM.

For some reason a lot of posters try to make everything into a single solution. If we just draft Geno Smith everything will be fine. If Mahomes starts everything will be fine.

Football usually isn't that simple. Yes, Smith is a big problem. So is the offensive line. So are the penalties. So too the execution and miscommunication on the field, Reids clock management, play calling, lack of pass rush, secondary depth, etc.

Stryker
11-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Alex Smith is nobody compared to McNabb, and Mahomes is 10x the prospect Kolb was. If Smith has another first half like he did last week it should be an easy decision.

It should have been an easy decision during the Cowboys game.

Marcellus
11-30-2017, 10:00 AM
More in the line of getting more power and not being able to handle it. He doesn't seem to be able to be HC and OC at the same time and now he has [a stooge or friend or close associate] as GM.

For some reason a lot of posters try to make everything into a single solution. If we just draft Geno Smith everything will be fine. If Mahomes starts everything will be fine.

Football usually isn't that simple. Yes, Smith is a big problem. So is the offensive line. So are the penalties. So too the execution and miscommunication on the field, Reids clock management, play calling, lack of pass rush, secondary depth, etc.

Where do you come up with this opinion? Is it all the wide open receivers Smith isn't throwing to?

The OL isn't as big an issue as its being made out to be. They are average but they aren't terrible.

We do need more depth on defense, the loss of Berry and Dee Ford being made of glass has made it much worse. Though Ragland may end up being a great trade.

You want to blame someone blame Dorsey for giving Hali and DJ those contracts. That wasnt on Reid.

Are you arguing we couldn't be 10-1 right now given Alex Smith making an easy throw or 2 in each of our losses?

Dave Lane
11-30-2017, 11:37 AM
This is why all those ridiculous comments about Reid never benching Smith and they had a 'deal" stuff is laughable.

I said 2 weeks ago Reid would bench Smith if it comes that time. I just dont think its going to crack until we slide back to .500 or are in danger in the Jets game.

You said 2 years ago Alex would retire as the Chiefs QB.

BlackHelicopters
11-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Just an opinion. No reason to call me names.

BlackHelicopters
11-30-2017, 12:22 PM

This season seems to be slipping away. I have an opinion.
What is your opinion of the trouble?
Or do you just prefer chasing me around and criticizing me?
Let’s hear your reasons.

Marcellus
11-30-2017, 12:54 PM
You said 2 years ago Alex would retire as the Chiefs QB.

Liar.