PDA

View Full Version : News Ten things about my day today.

Rain Man
12-03-2017, 09:23 PM
10. I drove to my monthly race today in Los Angeles. I took the 73 to the 5 to the 405 to the 605 to the Ventura Freeway on the way out, though I made one wrong turn on the Pasadena Freeway. On the way back I took the 134 to the 5 to the 405 to the 710 to the Pacific Coast Highway. I can speak Californian.

9. If I was to get signed by the Chiefs as a kick returner, I'd field kickoffs in the end zone and kneel. So I, as a 50+ male, would be an actual, honest to god upgrade to the Chiefs' kickoff return team, because my average field position would be the 25 yard line.

8. Champs Sports Bar in Burbank has the worst waitress I've encountered in years. She provided spectacularly bad service with a particularly poor attitude. I would have refused to tip her, but she never gave me a check. Ever. I eventually went to the manager and gave him some cash, which I planned to be roughly the amount of the check without tip. I tried not to tip her, which would be my first non-tipping restaurant visit in at least 10 years, but I didn't know the cost or much exact change. So if you ever go to Burbank, don't go to Champs Sports Bar.

7. If the Chiefs consistently passed the ball downfield to Hill and Kelce, they would have the best offense in the league. It's a proven fact, albeit primarily theoretical.

6. My race today was 13.1 miles. About a quarter-mile in, a young women ran up beside me and asked, "What do you expect for a finishing time?" I said, "About two hours and ten minutes." She then peeled away from me and I heard her call back to her friend, "Okay, this guy's running a 2:10. Let's run behind him for the whole race and we'll meet our target." Talk about pressure to perform.

5. I still have no idea what Bennie Logan did to draw a penalty on that field goal.

4. I ran my race today in 2:10:10. When the pressure is on, I almost come through in the clutch but fall just short by an excruciatingly small margin. Because Chiefs fan.

3. The NFL needs to solve this whole "penalties decide the game" problem. Do we ever have a touchdown where we don't all look around for flags before we even think to celebrate?

2. I saw some impressive hobo camps today on my run. In a sign of how challenging it is to make it in the arts, two of the hobo tents contained full drum sets - bass, snares, cymbals, everything.

1. My rental car doesn't have "park" on the gear shift. It only has reverse, neutral, and drive, and you have to push a button to put the car into park. It freaks me out.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2017, 09:30 PM
11. You should have PM’d me that you’d be in town. Champ’s has been awful since the 90’s. I’d have recommended 33 Taps or better yet, had you over at the casagrande.

HemiEd
12-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Riveting, sounds like your trip was well worth it.

Did those gals end up behind you?

I was exposed to the California talk a lot and used to think it was pretty funny.

Bearcat
12-03-2017, 09:32 PM
10. I drove to my monthly race today in Los Angeles. I took the 73 to the 5 to the 405 to the 605 to the Ventura Freeway on the way out, though I made one wrong turn on the Pasadena Freeway. On the way back I took the 134 to the 5 to the 405 to the 710 to the Pacific Coast Highway. I can speak Californian.

Until I read the last sentence, I was thinking... WTF, this shit has spread to Colorado?!?

Placing a park button anywhere besides the gear shift is overthinking it.

DaFace
12-03-2017, 09:34 PM
3. The NFL needs to solve this whole "penalties decide the game" problem. Do we ever have a touchdown where we don't all look around for flags before we even think to celebrate?

This is at the root of what I think it driving a lot of people away from the game. We've had two games now where a flag-o-rama has resulted in time running off the clock and repeated chances for our opponent to score.

Are some of the flags legit? Without question. But there have also been some very questionable calls, too.

It's completely unsatisfying to see a game end like that.

Rain Man
12-03-2017, 09:42 PM
11. You should have PM’d me that you’d be in town. Champ’s has been awful since the 90’s. I’d have recommended 33 Taps or better yet, had you over at the casagrande.

You're there, that's right. I'd like to meet up at some point as long as I don't run into Marilyn Manson on the way. Long story, but it would be awkward.

And you're right about Champs.

Rain Man
12-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Riveting, sounds like your trip was well worth it.

Did those gals end up behind you?

I was exposed to the California talk a lot and used to think it was pretty funny.

I think I lost them. I only got a quick look at the woman who talked to me and never saw the other woman. But I didn't see anyone who looked like her at the finish line when I stopped and turned around.

Rain Man
12-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Until I read the last sentence, I was thinking... WTF, this shit has spread to Colorado?!?

Placing a park button anywhere besides the gear shift is overthinking it.

They should at least explain it. I stopped the car at my destination and had no idea what to do for a while.

Simply Red
12-03-2017, 09:53 PM

this

Buehler445
12-03-2017, 09:59 PM
#9 :Lin:

Buehler445
12-03-2017, 10:01 PM
This is at the root of what I think it driving a lot of people away from the game. We've had two games now where a flag-o-rama has resulted in time running off the clock and repeated chances for our opponent to score.

Are some of the flags legit? Without question. But there have also been some very questionable calls, too.

It's completely unsatisfying to see a game end like that.

Agreed. I had never seen anything like the Raiders game. Now I've seen it twice. /shoots self in head.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2017, 10:01 PM
You're there, that's right. I'd like to meet up at some point as long as I don't run into Marilyn Manson on the way. Long story, but it would be awkward.

And you're right about Champs.

The calf competition alone would have been a nice alternative to the game

Rain Man
12-03-2017, 10:03 PM
The calf competition alone would have been a nice alternative to the game

I went there straight after the race, so my calves would have been really ripped.

I stank a little bit, though.

Hey, maybe that's why the waitress was rude to me.

stevieray
12-03-2017, 10:05 PM
10. I think you have use gnarly in your description.

cooper barrett
12-03-2017, 10:06 PM
He wanted to see the game....Kidding:D:D:D:D:D

Molitoth
12-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Oops I voted wrong. Skewed poll.
Meant to say #3 was the most interesting.

Refs in the NFL are ruining it for me.

RJ
12-03-2017, 10:39 PM
I have a hard time watching NFL games these days. The penalties, the politics, the pseud--celebrations........on a plus note, my Sundays are more productive.

TLO
12-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Oops I voted wrong. Skewed poll.
Meant to say #3 was the most interesting.

Refs in the NFL are ruining it for me.

You know what's ruining the NFL for me?

Mediocre Chiefs teams

TimBone
12-03-2017, 11:22 PM
9. If I was to get signed by the Chiefs as a kick returner, I'd field kickoffs in the end zone and kneel. So I, as a 50+ male, would be an actual, honest to god upgrade to the Chiefs' kickoff return team, because my average field position would be the 25 yard line.

I'm with you completely here, but what's your plan the first time a kick falls short of the end zone?

TimBone
12-03-2017, 11:25 PM
Agreed. I had never seen anything like the Raiders game. Now I've seen it twice. /shoots self in head.The particularly annoying thing about the Raiders fiasco is that they tossed all those flags leading up to the final play, and then just let Crabtree push off for his TD catch....very frustrating. I wouldn't blame anyone who tuned out for the season after that.

cosmo20002
12-03-2017, 11:33 PM

Not committing penalties would be the solution.

Having refs ignore holding and PI in the end zone is really not a good solution.

bevischief
12-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Not Sutton can't be any worse.

gold_and_red
12-03-2017, 11:49 PM

Timing of the penalties is everything. How can the human eye consistently tell what a penalty and what is not in a game as fast as the NFL? In a game where the difference between W and L is literally a handful of plays the refs have a huge influence on the outcome.
Offensive holding by linemen, defensive holding by DBs and DPI are too easy to call on any play. It drives me nuts when they are called at the most inopportune moments.
One easy fix would be to eliminate those penalties altogether after the two minute warning in a one score game. Just let the damn players play when the game is on the line!!
In general any rule that does not directly affect player safety should be eliminated or at worst moderated. Enforce helmet to helmet, horse collar and roughing the passer, thats it.

Bob Dole
12-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Timing of the penalties is everything. How can the human eye consistently tell what a penalty and what is not in a game as fast as the NFL? In a game where the difference between W and L is literally a handful of plays the refs have a huge influence on the outcome.
Offensive holding by linemen, defensive holding by DBs and DPI are too easy to call on any play. It drives me nuts when they are called at the most inopportune moments.
One easy fix would be to eliminate those penalties altogether after the two minute warning in a one score game. Just let the damn players play when the game is on the line!!
In general any rule that does not directly affect player safety should be eliminated or at worst moderated. Enforce helmet to helmet, horse collar and roughing the passer, thats it.

But then a team couldn't get 10 plays inside the 10.

Danguardace
12-04-2017, 01:33 AM
Logan penalty is the type that makes me suspect refs are betting on games. Did absolutely nothing wrong, in fact did the same on every extra point. Lined up on the Left Guard crashed over to the right Guard.

gold_and_red
12-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Logan penalty is the type that makes me suspect refs are betting on games. Did absolutely nothing wrong, in fact did the same on every extra point. Lined up on the Left Guard crashed over to the right Guard.

The penalties are way too subjective and crew based. It is hard to take a result seriously. For once I would like a HC to come out and say that his team got hosed by the refs.
I did not see Chiefs players and coaches arguing with the refs about the Logan penalty. They seemed resigned to their fates of yet another loss. They should have been absolutely livid, that was for the sole lead of the AFCW right there. One more reason why the team is soft and will never win a SB with Reid.

TinyEvel
12-04-2017, 02:39 AM
Did you get naked in public and put Bandaids on your nipples?

Molitoth
12-04-2017, 07:45 AM

Well, you cannot eliminate penalties altogether, that would be chaos...

However, you could ALLOW CHALLENGES of penalties.

So the game ends up being 15 minutes longer... who gives a shit if the outcome is fair.

gblowfish
12-04-2017, 07:50 AM
These ten thing lists are annoying.

oldman
12-04-2017, 08:33 AM
I am surprised that there are 29 posts and no one has posted "pics or it didn't happen" about item 6. Even more surprised there isn't a question about her take on PIIHB.

Dartgod
12-04-2017, 08:37 AM
I'm with you completely here, but what's your plan the first time a kick falls short of the end zone?

Duh, fake an injury.

BlackHelicopters
12-04-2017, 10:09 AM
11 was least interesting.

dj56dt58
12-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Just let it go. Any type of return would get called back for holding anyway

JohnnyHammersticks
12-04-2017, 10:42 AM
I had spaghetti 3 times last month.

cooper barrett
12-04-2017, 12:30 PM
I had spaghetti 3 times last month.

Add 7 more meals and join "The 10 things" gang.

10 THINGS YOU PROBABLY NEVER KNEW ABOUT 'T.J. HOOKER'

https://metvcdn.metv.com/V4vrI-1502130961-888-lists-hooker_main_1200.jpg