PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Let’s talk Tires.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Buying tires sucks.

...you always need them at the most inconvenient time, like Christmas.

Who has the best deals on tires?

jspchief
12-16-2017, 01:28 PM
The monster chevy dealership in my town had the best price on tires by a pretty large margin. Youre gonna have to shop around, and make sure you know all the little ways the place will nickel and dime you outside the quoted tire price. $7 for shop rags? fuck off.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Yeah.

A lot of people say Costco and Sams Club have the best deals...but I don’t know if they are fucking with me.

DaveNull
12-16-2017, 01:50 PM
After pricing Costco tires the last two times I've had to, I think they're fucking with you. I think that they just sell the top of the line stuff.

My mechanic was good enough to call around and do the shopping for me. He found some Hancook skins that were less expensive than the store brand at NTB (which I had before) and they ride better.

Otter
12-16-2017, 02:08 PM
A couple years ago I bought a set of Hankook Dynapro for my Tacoma that I'm guessing will need replacement in about a year. I can't say much negative about their performance in regards to traction, handling and such but they have have a problem with very slow leaks that that grates your ass over a their life cycle.</br></br> I've never had any issues with Cooper Tires and will stick with them from this point forward. Tires, good pair of boots, and a good mattress is one of those things you don't want to go bargain hunting for or it tends to bite you in the ass in the long run.

Kman34
12-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Discount Tires have the best prices and will price match..

SAUTO
12-16-2017, 03:29 PM
A couple years ago I bought a set of Hankook Dynapro for my Tacoma that I'm guessing will need replacement in about a year. I can't say much negative about their performance in regards to traction, handling and such but they have have a problem with very slow leaks that that grates your ass over a their life cycle.</br></br> I've never had any issues with Cooper Tires and will stick with them from this point forward. Tires, good pair of boots, and a good mattress is one of those things you don't want to go bargain hunting for or it tends to bite you in the ass in the long run.rf 10s? Great tires. The slow leaks are coming from the bead where the sticker is. Next time ask/ remind them to put a little bead sealer over the sticker on the bead when installing, this goes for most tires now days

Copper discoverer at3 are great tires too

alpha_omega
12-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Don’t know about deals, but....Michelin.

SAUTO
12-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Don’t know about deals, but....Michelin.

They seem to weather check worse than any.

SAUTO
12-16-2017, 03:34 PM
What size you looking for?

gblowfish
12-16-2017, 03:41 PM
I have a 2015 Subaru. The new tires that come with the car are cheap. I just shopped mine last week. For my car, I got the best deal at Sears. Uniroyal Tiger Paws, 70,000 mile tires, all the service, disposal, road hazard, tax was about $550 for all four. But I also got 12 months same as cash (helps before Christmas) and a $50 gift card to Sears for buying Uniroyal. I also looked at NTB, Tires Plus and Discount Tire. Discount was the highest of all for Continental Tires. NTB had Goodyear, Tires Plus Bridgestone.

cooper barrett
12-16-2017, 03:54 PM
I have a 2015 Subaru. The new tires that come with the car are cheap. I just shopped mine last week. For my car, I got the best deal at Sears. Uniroyal Tiger Paws, 70,000 mile tires, all the service, disposal, road hazard, tax was about $550 for all four. But I also got 12 months same as cash (helps before Christmas) and a $50 gift card to Sears for buying Uniroyal. I also looked at NTB, Tires Plus and Discount Tire. Discount was the highest of all for Continental Tires. NTB had Goodyear, Tires Plus Bridgestone.

Tiger Paws have been a great tire for fair prices for a long time.

cooper barrett
12-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Buying tires sucks.

...you always need them at the most inconvenient time, like Christmas.

Who has the best deals on tires?

What are you driving? any objectives w/ new tires?

What do you have now? Likes and dislikes?

Mecca
12-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Discount tire is great for the warranty alone, I bought a set of Yokohama performance tires, paid the extra 80 for the per tire warranty. Picked up a nail about 2 months in , it was replaced for free. All I paid was 20 for the warranty on the new tire. Pretty awesome to get a 200 dollar tire replaced for 20.
Posted via Mobile Device

lewdog
12-16-2017, 05:25 PM
I'm a Discount Tire guy myself. Our local shop is fantastic to work with and I love their road hazard warranty that has replaced two $300 a piece tires on my Mustang when I ran over shit on the road. They took a quick look and no questions asked, ordered me a new tire each time. I like the quick drop-in free tire rotations and patches they do when picking up nails as well. They even once patched my wife's tire when she picked up a nail late after work. The shop was technically closed (6pm) but they let us come down there and they fixed it after hours for us. I thought that was pretty amazing and will keep my business going there.

I have heard that Tire Rack is likely the cheapest route, if whoever you have put them on doesn't gouge you for labor.

BigBeauford
12-16-2017, 05:32 PM
I spent 100 less at Costco for tires than NTB, and got much better tires (Michellin) in the process.

cooper barrett
12-16-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm a Discount Tire guy myself. Our local shop is fantastic to work with and I love their road hazard warranty that has replaced two $300 a piece tires on my Mustang when I ran over shit on the road. They took a quick look and no questions asked, ordered me a new tire each time. I like the quick drop-in free tire rotations and patches they do when picking up nails as well. They even once patched my wife's tire when she picked up a nail late after work. The shop was technically closed (6pm) but they let us come down there and they fixed it after hours for us. I thought that was pretty amazing and will keep my business going there.

I have heard that Tire Rack is likely the cheapest route, if whoever you have put them on doesn't gouge you for labor.

Do they replace the tire after it's second repair, re-balance tires for free when rotating??

Buzz
12-16-2017, 05:49 PM
I bought 4 tires for my truck about a month ago and ended up at Discount Tire. They had the cheapest tires in stock and out the door at $480.00. I went with the cheapest as I don't know how much longer the truck is going to last and I just wanted to get through the next winter or two.

lewdog
12-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Do they replace the tire after it's second repair, re-balance tires for free when rotating??

They don't replace the tire after the second repair, unless it can't be fixed. Both of the Mustang tires were unpatchable and replaced right away.

Free rebalancing any time you need.

cooper barrett
12-16-2017, 06:13 PM
I't been a while since I did business with them as I was in the tire business and bought mine from TCI on a national account price matrix.

Discount does not want to tell you that your tires speed rating can be 85MPH after repairs.

Manufacturer/Brand Speed Rating Multiple Repair Locations
BFGoodrich* Maintained 3 repairs, minimum 90° apart*
Bridgestone** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
Continental*** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
Dick Cepek/Cooper** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
Dunlop**** Maintained Repairs cannot overlap
1 repair, H and above
Firestone** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
Fuzion** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
General*** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
Goodyear**** Maintained Repairs cannot overlap
1 repair, H and above
Hankook** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
Kumho** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
Michelin* Maintained 3 repairs, minimum 90° apart*
Pirelli V and Above Repair Not Endorsed by Pirelli
H and Below Maintained 2 repairs, minimum 180° apart*
Toyo* V and Above Reduced to H Repairs cannot overlap
H and Below Maintained Repairs cannot overlap
Sumitomo** Voided Repairs cannot overlap
Uniroyal* Maintained 3 repairs, minimum 90° apart*
Yokohama** Voided Repairs cannot overlap

*Only 1 repair permitted for run-flat tires
**To be driven as non-speed rated (85 mph/137 kmh maximum)
***Voids materials, workmanship and tread wear-out warranties

DaveNull
12-16-2017, 11:11 PM
A couple years ago I bought a set of Hankook Dynapro for my Tacoma that I'm guessing will need replacement in about a year. I can't say much negative about their performance in regards to traction, handling and such but they have have a problem with very slow leaks that that grates your ass over a their life cycle.</br></br> I've never had any issues with Cooper Tires and will stick with them from this point forward. Tires, good pair of boots, and a good mattress is one of those things you don't want to go bargain hunting for or it tends to bite you in the ass in the long run.

Fair enough...I also approached this purchase knowing that I'll be getting rid of this car within 12 months anyway.