PDA

View Full Version : Football Roethlisberger throws Haley under the bus: "I was yelling 'clock it'"

pugsnotdrugs19
12-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Surprise surprise. Ben Roethlisberger is back to his normal tricks, this time throwing Todd Haley under the bus for the decision to not spike the ball on the final play that led to the INT.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ben-roethlisberger-says-steelers-sideline-told-him-not-to-spike-the-ball-before-pick/

"It wasn't a fake spike," he said. "I was yelling 'clock it' because I felt like that was the thing to do, was clock it and get yourself one play. And it came from the sideline, 'Don't clock it. Don't clock it.' Well, at that time, everyone thinks it's clocked so you don't have any time to get everyone lined up. ... Eli (Rogers) kinda ran a quick slant in there and at that time you just got to try to make a big play. And I didn't make a good enough throw."

Make sure and click the link to watch the video. There are more specifics where he says Haley is the one who made the call. Jason LaCanfora reports however that Ben had two plays to choose from, and he chose the fake-spike.

Either way, this is interesting and not good for Pittsburgh.

T-post Tom
12-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Well, he did finish up with, "And I didn't make a good enough throw." So there's that, I guess. In the end, Rapesburg and Todd Haley can go intercourse each other. :D

Hammock Parties
12-17-2017, 11:11 PM
they'll be fine

oldman
12-17-2017, 11:13 PM
I don't like either one of them, but anybody, anywhere can throw Haley under the bus and it's OK with me. Heck, even back it up and run over that sorry SOB again. I'll never forgive him for the stunts he pulled here. I don't care if he did hate the GM that shall never be named. He's a punk.

T-post Tom
12-17-2017, 11:18 PM
I don't like either one of them, but anybody, anywhere can throw Haley under the bus and it's OK with me. Heck, even back it up and run over that sorry SOB again. I'll never forgive him for the stunts he pulled here. I don't care if he did hate the GM that shall never be named. He's a punk.

http://img.icelandreview.com/sites/default/files/styles/scale_720/public/news/mouse_salad.jpg?itok=n5vUvzzY

https://cdn.pitch.com/files/base/scomm/kcp/image/2011/08/960w/kansas_city_chiefs_potty_training.jpg

Pasta Little Brioni
12-17-2017, 11:34 PM
they'll be fine

Pats own them. You'd be shitting all over the board after a loss like that.

Hammock Parties
12-17-2017, 11:43 PM
Pats own them. You'd be shitting all over the board after a loss like that.

And I'd be wrong if we were 11-3.

thegame214
12-17-2017, 11:46 PM
No means No Ben

Buehler445
12-18-2017, 12:23 AM
Fuck the Steelers.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-18-2017, 12:54 AM
And I'd be wrong if we were 11-3.

Torn calf for Brown. They are fucking toast. Title 6 for the Pats.

Hammock Parties
12-18-2017, 12:56 AM
Torn calf for Brown. They are fucking toast. Title 6 for the Pats.

It's partially torn. He'll be back for the playoffs. He has a month to recover.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-18-2017, 12:58 AM
Doubtful. Serious injury for a WR. Maaaaaybe a gimpy one and done. Toast without him. They barely beat GB and Balt at home with him. Took fluke, phoney Brown PIs to win those games. Frauds.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-18-2017, 01:00 AM
They are a few inches away from 7-7

RobBlake
12-18-2017, 02:37 AM
It's partially torn. He'll be back for the playoffs. He has a month to recover.

There’s no way he’ll have his twitch back that quickly. Offense will go thru ju ju and Bryant.

Coogs
12-18-2017, 05:54 AM
FWIW, I think Haley was right. It was 3rd down. Just spiking it (clocking it?) gets you a fg to tie. Take a shot at the end zone first. They had plenty of time. Just don't throw the pass into that heavy of coverage. Throw it away. Then you still have the fg for the tie.

Good decision by Haley. Just a crappy play by Ben.

InChiefsHeaven
12-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Yeah, you are a veteran QB and you threw that...throw it away moron. Haley's not the guy on the field...

Red Dawg
12-18-2017, 07:11 AM
Pat's own the league. They get every game in their favor by the NFL replay crew. As soon as the ball touches the white and he's got control it's a TD. James did that and they took it away so NE could win or have another chance. Apparently NE never holds either or commits PI. They get every damn call to help their Golden boy.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Big Ben playing for tie? STFU, loser

rabblerouser
12-18-2017, 07:25 AM
Ben Rapin' has never had to be accountable for anything in his life, so it's not surprising that he doesn't have the balls to admit that he screwed the pooch by throwing a shit ball to a blanketed receiver.

rabblerouser
12-18-2017, 07:28 AM
Doubtful. Serious injury for a WR. Maaaaaybe a gimpy one and done. Toast without him. They barely beat GB and Balt at home with him. Took fluke, phoney Brown PIs to win those games. Frauds.

They do that in a lot of games these days. It sucks.

rabblerouser
12-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Pat's own the league. They get every game in their favor by the NFL replay crew. As soon as the ball touches the white and he's got control it's a TD. James did that and they took it away so NE could win or have another chance. Apparently NE never holds either or commits PI. They get every damn call to help their Golden boy.

Oh, that Super Bowl last year was all the evidence anyone needs...

dj56dt58
12-18-2017, 07:51 AM

He didn’t maintain control..don’t let the ball touch the ground and it’s a non issue

rabblerouser
12-18-2017, 08:06 AM
He didn’t maintain control..don’t let the ball touch the ground and it’s a non issue

It wasn't the ball touching the ground; it was the way it shifted twice, both before it touched the ground and after he rolled over...which means that he didn't "maintain control throughout the process of the catch". Which, according to Tony Dungy, is probably the correct interpretation of a terrible rule.

PunkinDrublic
12-18-2017, 09:07 AM

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving team. Pittsburgh gets away with holding and making dirty hits all the time. A big reason why they beat the Chiefs in the playoffs was selective enforcement of penalties. Ryan Shazier got hurt trying to make one of his patented dirty hits and deserves no sympathy. Fuck em. They benefit from their share of superstar calls and now when they play a team with more superstar media darlings it works against them.

Amnorix
12-18-2017, 09:09 AM

Only if you don't actually understand the fucking rules.

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The video is an explanation from <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NFL</a> SVP of Officiating Al Riveron on the reversal at the end of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NEvsPIT?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#NEvsPIT</a> game. <a href="https://t.co/hm5EeoZTER">pic.twitter.com/hm5EeoZTER</a></p>&mdash; NFL Football Operations (@NFLFootballOps) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/status/942559627295764480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bricks
12-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Well, he did finish up with, "And I didn't make a good enough throw." So there's that, I guess. In the end, Rapesburg and Todd Haley can go intercourse each other. :D

They should buy each other some lubricants for Christmas. ****ing faggots I hate em both.

Amnorix
12-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Part of what sucks for the Steelers is that the guy only lost control because he was trying to score the TD. He clearly COULD have rolled and tucked the ball into his belly and completed the catch at the 1 yard line. By reaching for the goal line, he contacted the ground and lost contol of the ball. Because he didn't complete the catch by "surviving the ground", it was incomplete.

You can hate the rule, but the call was right.

Amnorix
12-18-2017, 09:13 AM
BTW, Ben is completely wrong to throw his coaches under the bus. The coaches made the correct call -- they had plenty of time to run the play. If the TD isn't obviously there, Ben should throw it into the third row and they kick the FG. Instead he fucks up when the coverage is obviously there, trying to force it in, then blames his coaches.

Best22
12-18-2017, 09:20 AM
BTW, Ben is completely wrong to throw his coaches under the bus. The coaches made the correct call -- they had plenty of time to run the play. If the TD isn't obviously there, Ben should throw it into the third row and they kick the FG. Instead he ****s up when the coverage is obviously there, trying to force it in, then blames his coaches.

Ben was never an all-time great

Has Big Ben ever won in Foxborough OVER Brady? (2008 was easy as eating a big "Casselrole" for Roethlisberger).

BigRedChief
12-18-2017, 09:25 AM
BTW, Ben is completely wrong to throw his coaches under the bus. The coaches made the correct call -- they had plenty of time to run the play. If the TD isn't obviously there, Ben should throw it into the third row and they kick the FG. Instead he fucks up when the coverage is obviously there, trying to force it in, then blames his coaches.While this may be true, these gimmick/trick plays mostly fail in the NFL and more times than not backfire. We know this very well.

Amnorix
12-18-2017, 09:33 AM
Ben was never an all-time great

Has Big Ben ever won in Foxborough OVER Brady? (2008 was easy as eating a big "Casselrole" for Roethlisberger).

I don't know. I don't remember the Steelers beating us in Foxboro. BB/Brady have really owned the Steelers for the entire duration of their tenure with the pats, going all the way back to the original SB runs when we beat them in two different AFCCGs, at least one of which, possibly both, were in Pittsburgh.

Amnorix
12-18-2017, 09:34 AM
While this may be true, these gimmick/trick plays mostly fail in the NFL and more times than not backfire. We know this very well.

But low risk play, right? I mean, unless they fumble the snap or Ben is sacked, which should not happen because he should see if the trick worked or not and then either pass to the open guy or shoot it into the third row.

I mean, they're not running a real play, right? They're not even trying to. It's instant -- either it worked or it didn't, and either you throw it to the open guy or the third row. It's very straightforward in my mind how that works. Or should work, anyway.

rabblerouser
12-18-2017, 09:35 AM
I don't know. I don't remember the Steelers beating us in Foxboro. BB/Brady have really owned the Steelers for the entire duration of their tenure with the pats, going all the way back to the original SB runs when we beat them in two different AFCCGs, at least one of which, possibly both, were in Pittsburgh.

NE doesn't want to play us, and we don't want to play Pit.

Amnorix
12-18-2017, 09:41 AM
NE doesn't want to play us, and we don't want to play Pit.

Absolutely true if you have Berry. Without him, I'm not sure if I prefer a fully healthy (re: with Brown) Steelers team over Chiefs. :shrug:

wazu
12-18-2017, 09:44 AM
So is Ben supposed to make up a lie that puts more blame on himself? Or should he refuse to comment at all?

MMXcalibur
12-18-2017, 09:46 AM
One of the benefits of having so many friends from Pennsylvania is seeing everyone absolutely lose their shit over the Steelers coming up short on the scoreboard. Especially in the way it happened.

Rausch
12-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Absolutely true if you have Berry. Without him, I'm not sure if I prefer a fully healthy (re: with Brown) Steelers team over Chiefs. :shrug:

You and me could be the Steelers WR's and they'd beat KC because of Bell...

wazu
12-18-2017, 09:56 AM
You and me could be the Steelers WR's and they'd beat KC because of Bell...

They don’t even need Bell. The Chiefs have scored 14, 16, and 13 points against the Steelers in their last three meetings. Steelers just need to bring a healthy kicker.

MahiMike
12-18-2017, 10:07 AM
Dumbasses. Cost the jags the 2 seed.

rabblerouser
12-18-2017, 10:13 AM
So is Ben supposed to make up a lie that puts more blame on himself? Or should he refuse to comment at all?
He could've :
Clocked the ball
OR
thrown it out the back of the end zone.

He was literally the one with the ball in his hands, not Tomlin or Haley or anyone on the coaching staff.

rabblerouser
12-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Touché, the Steelers knew Gronk would be fed the ball, simply because he's the only weapon Brady has at this point...and they still couldn't stop it from happening.

Nzoner
12-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Everyone talking about the non td call and nothing about the play resulting in the INT to seal the game.I've seen a helluva lot less called PI in the NFL.

In video starting at 2:23

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CKOfBQWPMos" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Little Brioni
12-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Pats gifted another win....SHOCKING!!

displacedinMN
12-18-2017, 10:59 AM
anything to cause disruptions in the steelers is a good thing

suzzer99
12-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Part of what sucks for the Steelers is that the guy only lost control because he was trying to score the TD. He clearly COULD have rolled and tucked the ball into his belly and completed the catch at the 1 yard line. By reaching for the goal line, he contacted the ground and lost contol of the ball. Because he didn't complete the catch by "surviving the ground", it was incomplete.

You can hate the rule, but the call was right.

This. Between this and the touchback rule - it's often very high-risk/low-reward to reach for the end zone (like on 1st down) in the NFL. Of course players still do it because of human nature. But you'd think the NFL would care how unsatisfying it is for the fans to see their team penalized just for trying to reach other few inches to score.

Sandy Vagina
12-18-2017, 11:56 AM
They don’t even need Bell. The Chiefs have scored 14, 16, and 13 points against the Steelers in their last three meetings. Steelers just need to bring a healthy kicker.

Steelers won't have Shazier. That speed and talent at the second level covers a shit ton of ground... and makes life easier for Alex and Co.

That, and this being Smith's last hurrah? I'd bet he takes some of those favorable deep shots that fans lament over from last time.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-18-2017, 12:04 PM
Steelers won't have Shazier. That speed and talent at the second level covers a shit ton of ground... and makes life easier for Alex and Co.

That, and this being Smith's last hurrah? I'd bet he takes some of those favorable deep shots that fans lament over from last time.

I actually agree. If ever there was a time for Smith to put out his most care-free, cuck-free playoff stretch, it's this year.

We're going to need it anyways, but despite all my criticisms of Smith, I see absolutely NO REASON for him to revert to his conservative ways when he knows this is it in KC.

wazu
12-18-2017, 12:11 PM
He could've :
Clocked the ball
OR
thrown it out the back of the end zone.

He was literally the one with the ball in his hands, not Tomlin or Haley or anyone on the coaching staff.

He didn’t, though. He was responding to a question about a fake spike on what happened. People are turning it into he’s not accountable because of his explanation.

ThaVirus
12-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Romo mentioned it during the broadcast but that play should have been a fade. You take one last shot at the end zone and ensure that it's either a TD or an incomplete pass.

Buehler445
12-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Romo mentioned it during the broadcast but that play should have been a fade. You take one last shot at the end zone and ensure that it's either a TD or an incomplete pass.

Ryan Clark said that play is normally a fade with Brown. Probably went there because Rape doesn't have as much chemistry throwing fades with whoever the fuck that was.

Fuck the Steelers.

NJChiefsFan
12-18-2017, 03:57 PM
I actually agree. If ever there was a time for Smith to put out his most care-free, cuck-free playoff stretch, it's this year.

We're going to need it anyways, but despite all my criticisms of Smith, I see absolutely NO REASON for him to revert to his conservative ways when he knows this is it in KC.

Alex's back was against the wall to start the season and he came out firing. Then he got comfortable and the conservative nature of protecting came out. Then the team fell apart and his back was against the wall again and he started firing again.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Alex's back was against the wall to start the season and he came out firing. Then he got comfortable and the conservative nature of protecting came out. Then the team fell apart and his back was against the wall again and he started firing again.

And of course in the playoffs, your back is always against the wall. Especially when it's probably your last season with the team.

DJ's left nut
12-18-2017, 04:10 PM
What a bunch of stupid, made-up drama.

That wasn't a catch. Argue with the rule or whatever, but by the rule that's simply not a catch. Full stop.

As for Roethlisberger - bullshit, Ben. You clearly weren't thinking 'spike' and then in the span of a half second after you called out the play remembered "oh wait, Haley called a slant..."

That was obviously a fake-spike call and it was a stuuuuuuuupid decision from Ben to not just fire that out of the back of the end zone.

Par for the course for that crybaby attention whore. I'm surprised he didn't also try to argue that he burst his spleen trying to throw downfield blocks for JuJu on his long play. I wonder if he's going to threaten to retire before the playoffs now.

I hate NE and hate even more that they won this game so we won't get a shot at Pittsburgh with a hobbled Brown (or better yet, a shot at Jax somehow). If the Chiefs make it to the post-season and win the WC game, they're pretty much drawing dead heading into the inevitable Foxboro matchup. But still, why the 'controversy'?

The Steelers blew it. That loss is exclusively on them.

Buehler445
12-18-2017, 04:29 PM

That wasn't a catch. Argue with the rule or whatever, but by the rule that's simply not a catch. Full stop.

As for Roethlisberger - bullshit, Ben. You clearly weren't thinking 'spike' and then in the span of a half second after you called out the play remembered "oh wait, Haley called a slant..."

That was obviously a fake-spike call and it was a stuuuuuuuupid decision from Ben to not just fire that out of the back of the end zone.

Par for the course for that crybaby attention whore. I'm surprised he didn't also try to argue that he burst his spleen trying to throw downfield blocks for JuJu on his long play. I wonder if he's going to threaten to retire before the playoffs now.

I hate NE and hate even more that they won this game so we won't get a shot at Pittsburgh with a hobbled Brown (or better yet, a shot at Jax somehow). If the Chiefs make it to the post-season and win the WC game, they're pretty much drawing dead heading into the inevitable Foxboro matchup. But still, why the 'controversy'?

Not a single syllable of this post can be argued. Well done.

That's not to say the route isn't retarded. If you're going to do that don't make traffic for yourself. THAT is on Haley.

EDIT: Fuck the Steelers.

Chief Northman
12-18-2017, 05:42 PM

All of this.

Anyone shocked Amnorix chimed in to dampen any ill will towards the Pats? It’s like an alarm goes off for him if anyone disses his precious Patriots.... and there he is with his homer rationale, armed and ready.

Sandy Vagina
12-18-2017, 06:30 PM
And of course in the playoffs, your back is always against the wall. Especially when it's probably your last season with the team.

The hope for some.. is that he learned this hard lesson from last year's final game. That, and the inconsistent effectiveness of the defense? and yeah.. if he doesn't give it all he's got this time? well then, bye. Probably bye anyway.. but I for one hope he goes out swinging.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Ben doubled down today by running over his coaches yet again. LMAO

Ben Roethlisberger says "I'll take the blame for the INT at the end of the game." Says in hindsight, he should've listened to himself and not the coaches, and just spike the ball as he wanted to - and as his teammates expected. - @Akinkhabwala

https://twitter.com/akinkhabwala/status/943152333248229376

rabblerouser
12-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Ben doubled down today by running over his coaches yet again. LMAO

https://twitter.com/akinkhabwala/status/943152333248229376

What do you expect from an unaccountable rapist?

O.city
12-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Yeah ben is throwing anyone he can under the bus.

chiefzilla1501
12-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Agreed. It's 3rd and goal with 9 seconds left, no timeouts. Why not give yourself 2 shots at the end instead of 1? Gotta chuck that ball away. It reminds me of the Russell wilson Super Bowl INT. Nothing wrong with the decision to call a pass play. But your QB has to make a much better decision. Don't be a hero.

Black Bob
12-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Can't believe Haley is still in the NFL. No one has gotten more undeserved credit than he has. Worst Chiefs coach of all time imo.

chiefzilla1501
12-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Can't believe Haley is still in the NFL. No one has gotten more undeserved credit than he has. Worst Chiefs coach of all time imo.

1) No
2) No
3) No

Rasputin
12-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Fishhooks~ Roethlisberger didn't actually throw Haley under the bus.

wazu
12-20-2017, 04:14 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Give him a play! He can&#39;t clock it! Give him a play. We&#39;re not clocking it.&quot;<br>Mike Tomlin, via <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLFilms?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@NFLFilms</a>, before Ben Roethlisberger&#39;s interception. QB perspetive from <a href="https://twitter.com/kurt13warner?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@kurt13warner</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UpToTheMinute?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#UpToTheMinute</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/nflnetwork?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@nflnetwork</a> 4pm ET. <a href="https://t.co/mb6HowHsgg">pic.twitter.com/mb6HowHsgg</a></p>&mdash; Andrew Siciliano (@AndrewSiciliano) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/943544852117114880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rabblerouser
12-20-2017, 04:34 PM

You're a fucking idiot.

wazu
12-21-2017, 01:42 AM
Anybody still think Ben threw Haley under the bus?

ThaVirus
12-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Anybody still think Ben threw Haley under the bus?

I'd say yes.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ben Roethlisberger says &quot;I&#39;ll take the blame for the INT at the end of the game.&quot; Says in hindsight, he should&#39;ve listened to himself and not the coaches, and just spike the ball as he wanted to - and as his teammates expected.</p>&mdash; Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) <a href="https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/943152333248229376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 19, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reerun_KC
12-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Only conspiracy bob can conspiracy bob.