PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Do you own (or ride) a motorcycle?

Prison Bitch
12-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Never ridden one, don't know anyone who does. CP has to be the best place in town to find those who do. Interesting story on Harley Davidson's potentially bleak future:

Amid sales drop, Harley-Davidson wants to teach more to ride

Harley sold 124,777 new motorcycles through nine months in 2017, down from 135,581 during the same period the previous year, according to the company’s most recent earnings report.

The Motorcycle Industry Council says the median age of motorcycle owners increased from 32 to 47 since 1990. About 46 percent of riders are over 50; only about 10 percent are 30-34.

Samantha Kay rode on the back of her father’s motorcycle growing up, but when the 25-year-old took a class to ride for the first time she couldn’t help being anxious.

“I think motorcycles inherently do scare a lot of people,” said Kay, a Milwaukee woman who is one of 50,000 people nationwide who took a riding course at a Harley-Davidson dealership this year.

https://apnews.com/1188a04313054037a11f51ebb5a253c9/Amid-sales-drop,-Harley-Davidson-wants-to-teach-more-to-ride

TLO
12-26-2017, 05:22 PM
No, I only drive Camaro's. Motorcycles are for Broncos fans.

Rain Man
12-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Samantha is correct. Motorcycles inherently scare me.

BWillie
12-26-2017, 05:39 PM
I don't quite understand the allure of motorcycles, and even specifically HARLEY DAVIDSONS.

Why would you want it to sound like that first of all? It's super loud and annoying. The handle bars are way up high, it looks very uncomfortable. In addition, one wrong move and you are dead. I think I'll stick with cars.

The only plus to motorcycles is they conserve gas and even then, Harley's don't really focus on being, well, efficient or cost effective.

FlaChief58
12-26-2017, 05:47 PM
Been riding for years. The Mrs and I each have our own, it's like a mini vacation when we can't get away for extended periods.

It doesn't surprise me that sales are down for Harleys though. Overpriced and break down constantly. My buddy bought one new 2 years ago for 30K and it's been in the shop for everything from wiring issues to transmission problems.

Fire Me Boy!
12-26-2017, 05:48 PM
I rode a Honda Shadow ACE as my only driver for a couple years in Myrtle Beach.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171226/f601ef46ebc088ab1d2478ccec0710bd.jpg

There is a special level of suck that is riding a motorcycle in a tropical storm.

I gave her up a year or so after I moved to Alabama. My lungs couldn’t handle face fulls of Alabama allergens.

Bwana
12-26-2017, 05:51 PM
I did at one time, not now. The closest thing I own at this point, is a couple of atv's.

stevieray
12-26-2017, 05:54 PM
...since I was 12. Current ride is a 1977 Goldwing

Pablo
12-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Nope, never really got the bug when I was younger and now that I have a wife and kid there's practically zero chance I'd ever own one.

Much like cigarettes, I don't think riding motorcycles is something you take up in your 30's. I'm sure somebody on here will prove me wrong though.

Fire Me Boy!
12-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Nope, never really got the bug when I was younger and now that I have a wife and kid there's practically zero chance I'd ever own one.

Much like cigarettes, I don't think riding motorcycles is something you take up in your 30's. I'm sure somebody on here will prove me wrong though.

I was probably 30. No kids, though, and wife was supportive. There might have been some personal emotional crises in my life that may have contributed.

Prison Bitch
12-26-2017, 06:09 PM
When I was younger (late 80s) teens used to ride Spree bikes. Basically junior motorcycles. I drove those around a bit when a friend had one. Some tards who lived close to HS would drive them. You never see them anymore tho.

http://scoot.net/stolen/images/1221957401-1.jpg

Bob Dole
12-26-2017, 06:12 PM
Harley's sales are going down because they no longer fall apart after 3 years so don't need replaced

BlackHelicopters
12-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Concrete is undefeated.

loochy
12-26-2017, 06:15 PM
When I was younger (late 80s) teens used to ride Spree bikes. Basically junior motorcycles. I drove those around a bit when a friend had one. Some tards who lived close to HS would drive them. You never see them anymore tho.

This is super gay.

stevieray
12-26-2017, 06:17 PM
...since I was 12. Current ride is a 1977 Goldwing

who gave this a thumbs down?

LMAO

Pablo
12-26-2017, 06:24 PM

LMAOIt shows as thumbs up..

rockymtnchief
12-26-2017, 06:38 PM

LMAO

I gave you a thumbs up!

stumppy
12-26-2017, 06:43 PM

Good choice. Hop on, adjust your dress and hit the rod.

FlaChief58
12-26-2017, 06:46 PM
Good choice. Hop on, adjust your dress and hit the rod.

LMAO

HemiEd
12-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Had three of them in my early 20s. One with a 12 inch springer front end, broke my back on it when an idiot stopped and blocked both lanes for no reason. Been 40 years since I have been on a bike.

TrebMaxx
12-26-2017, 07:19 PM
I do some commuting when the weather is good. I also ride with a few friends mainly on the back roads of Missouri but we do hit other states now and then.

Randallflagg
12-26-2017, 07:38 PM
2007 Harley Fat Boy........Love it.

MTG#10
12-26-2017, 07:50 PM
Never had the desire to ride one. I do ride a mountain bike though, I use my own body to power my two wheels.

Buehler445
12-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Dad had an old 70s Honda 350 dirt bike that we rode around when I was young. But not since then. Otherwise nope. I have a 4 wheeler but that’s it.

Like Pablo said I have shit to lose now so I’m pretty safe these days.

Loud ass fucking Harley’s (I assume that’s what they are) annoy the shit out of me. I pay good money for mufflers.

Frazod
12-26-2017, 08:58 PM
When I was a kid (early teens), my dad had one of the old Honda three-wheelers. I was riding it up a fairly steep hill, and for some reason known only to the idiot fuck teenage mind, I leaned back and gunned it. Rolled the damn thing right over my back. Being young and resilient, it only knocked the wind out of me, but it also cured me of ever wanting to ride anything again that had less than four wheels.

LoneWolf
12-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Had an uncle who rebuilt/refurbished old Harley's in his spare time. I used to go over on the weekends and help him. When he passed away, his wife gave me a 1977 sportster he had just finished. I ride it a few times a month in the spring and summer. As I get older, my wife keeps pushing me to sell it.

Otter
12-26-2017, 09:10 PM
I don't quite understand the allure of motorcycles, and even specifically HARLEY DAVIDSONS.

Why would you want it to sound like that first of all? It's super loud and annoying. The handle bars are way up high, it looks very uncomfortable. In addition, one wrong move and you are dead. I think I'll stick with cars.

The only plus to motorcycles is they conserve gas and even then, Harley's don't really focus on being, well, efficient or cost effective.

That's kind of a stereotype. I owned a Harley for awhile while when I was working for them and received an employee discount. There's all different makes & models. The bike I rode at the time looked a lot like this one and was pretty quiet. But I'll agree with you 100% on fuck those obnoxious, made to be loud bikes.

http://databikes.com/imgs/a/b/e/c/b/harley_davidson__vrscr_street_rod_model_2006_2005_2_lgw.jpg

There's just too many people on the road that have never rode a motorcycle and are completely unaware they share the road with them. After a really close call that I still can't believe I didn't make sweet, sweet love to about 40 yards of asphalt I garaged it then eventually sold it for a profit.

Now the bike I ride looks like this:

https://www.bicycling.com/sites/bicycling.com/files/styles/listicle_slide_custom_user_desktop_1x/public/articles/2017/02/evil-the-wreckoning.jpg?itok=EjmX9byA

stevieray
12-26-2017, 09:12 PM
Had an uncle who rebuilt/refurbished old Harley's in his spare time. I used to go over on the weekends and help him. When he passed away, his wife gave me a 1977 sportster he had just finished. I ride it a few times a month in the spring and summer. As I get older, my wife keeps pushing me to sell it.

XLCR Cafe Racer by chance?

LoneWolf
12-26-2017, 09:16 PM
XLCR Cafe Racer by chance?

XLCH Sportster.

stevieray
12-26-2017, 09:19 PM
XLCH Sportster.

Nice bike.

The Cafe's are pulling 20k in excellent condition.

:eek:

Michael Douglas rode one in Black Rain.

Pretty rare bike nowadays.

DaneMcCloud
12-26-2017, 09:21 PM
But I'll agree with you 100% on fuck those obnoxious, made to be loud bikes.

Loud Pipes Save Lives

BWillie
12-26-2017, 09:24 PM
That's kind of a stereotype. I owned a Harley for awhile while when I was working for them and received an employee discount. There's all different makes & models. The bike I rode at the time looked a lot like this one and was pretty quiet. But I'll agree with you 100% on **** those obnoxious, made to be loud bikes.

http://databikes.com/imgs/a/b/e/c/b/harley_davidson__vrscr_street_rod_model_2006_2005_2_lgw.jpg

I kind of like the look of that one. Nonetheless, I had a good friends parents both die on a motorcycle. They've always just scared me.

LoneWolf
12-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Nice bike.

The Cafe's are pulling 20k in excellent condition.

:eek:

Michael Douglas rode one in Black Rain.

Pretty rare bike nowadays.

Yeah, the bike I have is in excellent condition, but probably only worth about $8,000 to $9,000.

Otter
12-26-2017, 09:27 PM
Loud Pipes Save Lives Not when the guy's house you're driving by on Sunday at 2am who has to up at 5am for work throws a 2x4 across the road they don't. :D

stevieray
12-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Yeah, the bike I have is in excellent condition, but probably only worth about $8,000 to $9,000.

Still not bad for a 40yo bike.

They're pretty quick.

Prison Bitch
12-26-2017, 09:30 PM
When I was a kid (early teens), my dad had one of the old Honda three-wheelers. I was riding it up a fairly steep hill, and for some reason known only to the idiot **** teenage mind, I leaned back and gunned it. Rolled the damn thing right over my back. Being young and resilient, it only knocked the wind out of me, but it also cured me of ever wanting to ride anything again that had less than four wheels.

Had a similar experience, gunned a Spree at 14 and it popped a wheelie and I was practically running after it, after which it spun down to the ground d and knocked me over as it did it's 360. Cars only for me since then.

Perineum Ripper
12-26-2017, 09:34 PM
I love to ride. It is my escape from everything and everyone. I normally ride every chance I get and take a few trips a year on the bike.

Last year it was to San Diego and back. The year before it was Yellowstone and back then to South Carolina, Georgia area then back. Year before it was San Antonio and back then Sandy Shores and back

I average around 30,000 a year on the bike, from March until November normally. If Momma and kids would let me I would live off the bike and travel nonstop.

Lzen
12-26-2017, 09:38 PM
I had ridden on rare occasions in my younger days (mini bike as kids, scooter, etc.) but never owned a motorcycle until I was 38. So there you have it, I'm the exception to the rule. I had always admired Harleys and the cruiser style bikes, but never had the extra money to justify buying one until I bought a 2005 Honda Shadow in 2009. I rode it for 3 years until I bought my first Harley, a 2005 Softail Deluxe in 2012. A year later, I bought a brand new Road King and had it setup just the way I wanted.

Yes, there are a lot of idiot drivers on the roads these days. No, that does not deter me. As a kid I rode my bicycle all over the place. I think that sense of freedom on the road has been with me all these years because I still love it. You know how a dog is happy sticking his head out the window as you're driving down the road? That's similar to how a biker feels.

My bike has pipes that are mid range, not too loud but not quiet. They get loud when I get on them but also have a bit of a rumble when at idle. And yes, I do believe in loud pipes save lives. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten on the throttle to alert some dumb ass driver of my presence.

Frazod
12-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Had a similar experience, gunned a Spree at 14 and it popped a wheelie and I was practically running after it, after which it spun down to the ground d and knocked me over as it did it's 360. Cars only for me since then.

Man, that scared the shit out of me. Happened nearly 40 years ago and I still remember it clearly.

Lzen
12-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Here is my bike right after I bought in 2013. Oh, and btw, I have not had any major issues with this bike for the 4.5 years I've ridden it. The only things I've had done are normal wear and tear maintenance things such as replaced brake pads, replace back tire, replace a battery, and have 5k mile services done.

rockymtnchief
12-26-2017, 10:04 PM
That's kind of a stereotype. I owned a Harley for awhile while when I was working for them and received an employee discount. There's all different makes & models. The bike I rode at the time looked a lot like this one and was pretty quiet. But I'll agree with you 100% on fuck those obnoxious, made to be loud bikes.

There's just too many people on the road that have never rode a motorcycle and are completely unaware they share the road with them. After a really close call that I still can't believe I didn't make sweet, sweet love to about 40 yards of asphalt I garaged it then eventually sold it for a profit.

Now the bike I ride looks like this:

https://www.bicycling.com/sites/bicycling.com/files/styles/listicle_slide_custom_user_desktop_1x/public/articles/2017/02/evil-the-wreckoning.jpg?itok=EjmX9byA

I'm not knocking the V-Rod, but I have a buddy that bought one a couple years ago and bragged and bragged how fast it was. He kept challenging me to a race. Finally, this summer I obliged. Man was he pissed when my 25 year V-Max left him in the dust. I haven't heard from him since July.ROFL

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/Yamaha%20V%20Max%20%202.jpg

2bikemike
12-27-2017, 02:41 AM
I have owned and ridden motorcycles most of my life. I have ridden cross country more times than I can count. I have owned everything from a Honda 50 (my very first bike) to Harley's Ultra Classic.

My last bike was a 2007 Ultra Classic and it was with out a doubt a Piece of Shit. It may have just been a lemon but I suspect that Harley had numerous problems with that model year. Luckily for me I had the extended warranty something I normally don't purchase. I ended up trading it in on a truck in 2012 and haven't ridden since.

I used to really love traveling by bike but now I think I am just over it.

Speaking about Harley's being loud. I was in Milwaukee for Harley's 100th anniversary and there was a billboard from BMW that read " Dear Harley Davidson we would like to wish you a Happy 100th Birthday but we doubt you would hear us!"

Graystoke
12-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Yes.
I love to ride and have only taken brief periods of my life away from them.
I know I wouldn't own one if my daily commute was say in Chicago, but alas I live in Iowa where there are plenty of low traffic roads.
Plus anymore I try to stick to gravel roads because they are more scenic and off the beaten path.
I think I own 6 motorcycles? 5 of them are older Japan bikes that I enjoy working on, smaller in CC's.
Primary bike is a Adventure Triumph Tiger 800 XC. This is my gravel runner that takes me to Trout Streams.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/med/5_3_2011_Triumph_Tiger-1.jpg?b4c607
I have cases on it and take it all over. Love it in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming.

Dayze
12-27-2017, 09:29 AM
I've had a bike pretty much since i was 13. I saved up money, and spent $300 on some old Honda CB series 4 stroke dirt bike that was 15 years old. Total dog of a bike power wise, but I was hooked. Aside from a few years here and there, mainly during the Navy days, I've pretty much always had one.

Didn't get my first HD until 2013, and I really like them. the torque is great - usable power for every day riding. Though, as much as I like my SG, I've been wanting more in terms of technology and performance from a braking / ABS / ECU / Traction Control / suspension standpoint.

I think HD's main problem is they're consistently about a decade behind all the other manufacturers in terms of tech. Shit, they JUST now this year released their 4v motor FFS. HDs are nice and are quality bikes. But, they're expensive, and heavy (I'm on my 3rd set of rotors on my SG). Though, they hold their value way better than most. The way their new bikes are priced, it's hard for a young guy just starting out to consider a new one. Plus a robust used market. HD's are a dime a dozen on the used market, but yet they still hold their value.

The tech out there nowadays is amazing, especially with regard to Inertial Measuring Units (IMUs) that allow for monitoring of angle / pitch / yaw of the bike so ABS and traction control can be applied in safe manner. Cornering ABS, wheelie control, etc.

As much as I like my HD, I really want to move on to something that has way more performance (Braking, suspension, etc). Plus, I'm tired of dragging parts / bags on curvy roads. I don't ride hard per se, but I definitely ride "spirited" at times.

I'll probably spend another season my my HD, then look at selling it and look at getting something different. Like KTM's Duke 1290 GT, Ducati 1200 Multistrada, Kawasaki Versys 1000, Yamaha FJ 09 etc. Really just depends on how much I want to spend.

I've always sort of liked to be in that $15k or less range for a bike, and some of the higher end bikes (BMW, Ducati, KTM etc) with all the goodies are a little higher than that figure. They're out there, but can be hard to find close enough to home to warrant picking it up. North of that figure, it's hard for me to justify for the quality of roads around here (ie...straight line lol).

I've also kicked around the idea of just getting a cheap 2nd bike; like KTM Duke 690, Yamaha FZ07 to have around town / everyday ride. But.....I can only ride 1 bike at a time so...lol. I've heard from other guys that had multiple bikes that they sort of regretted it just because 1 bike usually gets ridden and the other one usually sits. So I dunno.

Bikes; past and present:
1980-ish CB150?
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (totaled)
2003 Yamaha Vstar 650
2008 Honda CBR 600RR
2013 HD Sportster 72
2012 HD Street Glide (totaled)
2009 HD Street Glide (Currently riding)

wazu
12-27-2017, 10:04 AM
A drop in motorcycle sales is bad news for people awaiting organ donations.