PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs De'Anthony Thomas and Akeem Hunt going to IR (Kemp promoted and Spiller signed)

JakeF
01-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Chiefs to place De'Anthony Thomas, Akeem Hunt on IR

Chiefs coach Andy Reid confirmed during Tuesday’s press conference that receiver De’Anthony Thomas and running back Akeem Hunt will be placed on injured reserve, ending their season.

RB C.J. Spiller was signed to replace Hunt on the 53-man roster, while WR Marcus Kemp has been called up from the practice squad to replace Thomas.

#Chiefs coach Andy Reid confirms that WR De'Anthony Thomas and RB Akeem Hunt heading to injured reserve. Team signed RB CJ Spiller for the first time in 2018 and promoted Marcus Kemp from practice squad.

— Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) January 2, 2018

Thomas suffered a broken leg while returning a punt during Sunday’s Week 17 win over the Denver Broncos. Hunt suffered a twisted ankle but that might’ve ended up being a sprain if he’s headed to IR.

With Hunt out, Spiller will be the team’s No. 3 running back. He might also see some snaps at kick returner since that job previously belonged to Thomas and Hunt.

Kemp will be the team’s fifth receiver and will probably see most of his time on special teams. This isn’t the first time he has been called to the main roster — he was active in Week 6 and saw eight offensive snaps and four special teams snaps.

cooper barrett
01-02-2018, 05:12 PM
It could be worse but we were expecting these to be announced

PHOG
01-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Has Spiller been released yet? :)

displacedinMN
01-02-2018, 05:15 PM
DAT ok
Hunt-sucks

CoMoChief
01-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Hope they both play somewhere else next yr.

Both suck

Mama Hip Rockets
01-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Am I the only one who thinks they should just ball out and let Tyreek return kicks in the postseason? Their return game has been abysmal all year.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2018, 05:18 PM
No worries, TrashCanDick, Albert Wilson and Robinson will show out during our Super Bowl run

DaFace
01-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Am I the only one who thinks they should just ball out and let Tyreek return kicks in the postseason? Their return game has been abysmal all year.

I completely agree. I'm all for saving him during the season, but this is why you play the game. Hill should absolutely be back there on punts.

As for kickoffs...meh. Just get a body back there and down the ball every time.

ModSocks
01-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Bummed about DAT. I'm a fan.

Wow....it just occurred to me that we lost both our kick returners on Sunday. Fuck me, there's no way that doesn't bite us in the ass.

I'd be shocked if they put 'reek back there full time again.

thegame214
01-02-2018, 05:27 PM
I highly doubt they we would even kick to Tyreek

rico
01-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Wow....it just occurred to me that we lost both our kick returners on Sunday. **** me, there's no way that doesn't bite us in the ass.

So who do you think we will have as our KR? Does Kemp do it? Spiller?

Why Not?
01-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Kemp(whom I love and am super stoked about)is not really the KR type, I don't think

DaFace
01-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Kemp(whom I love and am super stoked about)is not really the KR type, I don't think

Didn't they try him back there in the preseason, or am I imagining that?

NJChiefsFan
01-02-2018, 05:52 PM

IDK if I would trust Kemp to start that in a playoff game. At least Spiller has some experience. I might consider being more conservative on touchbacks but the Chiefs seem to have a strategy of taking almost everything out.

The Franchise
01-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Put Spiller back to return kicks and let Hill return punts.

Warrior5
01-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Has Spiller been released yet? :)

LMAO

ModSocks
01-02-2018, 05:57 PM

Spiller most likely. Or Chesson. Both.

Stargazer
01-02-2018, 06:33 PM

Wow....it just occurred to me that we lost both our kick returners on Sunday. **** me, there's no way that doesn't bite us in the ass.

This is insane as I've never met a Thomas fan. Surely there is someone on this roster that can field kicks six yards deep in the end zone and return it to the seven yard line, yes?

ModSocks
01-02-2018, 06:35 PM
This is insane as I've never met a Thomas fan.

Meh, i'm not saying i'd go out and buy a Jersey, but he's not a bad player to have. I think he's a quality role player and he seems like a quality person from what i've read/seen.

CoMoChief
01-02-2018, 06:36 PM
I imagine Spiller was signed and will return kickoffs....and being that the Chiefs have no one to back up Kareem Hunt. Chiefs can't be going into the playoffs running Sherman between the tackles lol.

ModSocks
01-02-2018, 06:38 PM
I imagine Spiller was signed and will return kickoffs....and being that the Chiefs have no one to back up Kareem Hunt. Chiefs can't be going into the playoffs running Sherman between the tackles lol.

LMAO

Welp that seals it, Spiller won't return any kicks.

Oh, and uh....West is Hunt's backup. Has been all season. Wasn't sure if you're aware of that....

CoMoChief
01-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Chiefs need to look at RB next yr, preferably via draft.

Not sure how well Ware will be able to recover, or if he'll ever be the same as he was pre-inj. All I know is West is a very avg player at best, and he's always hurt.

CoMoChief
01-02-2018, 06:42 PM
LMAO

Welp that seals it, Spiller won't return any kicks.

Oh, and uh....West is Hunt's backup. Has been all season. Wasn't sure if you're aware of that....

Spiller returned kicks in preseason no?

Isnt West hurt?

ModSocks
01-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Spiller returned kicks in preseason no?

Isnt West hurt?

West is NOT hurt, and i'm making fun of your infamously bad projections.

Also, West barely touches the ball, he averages about a carry per game, and averages 4YPC.

4YPC is actually better than some starters in the league. Melvin Gordon averages 3.9YPC.

CoMoChief
01-02-2018, 06:49 PM
West is NOT hurt, and i'm making fun of your infamously bad projections.

Also, West barely touches the ball, he averages about a carry per game, and averages 4YPC.

4YPC is actually better than some starters in the league. Melvin Gordon averages 3.9YPC.

Thats old thread. Like more than 10yrs old. You've been wrong just as much as anyone here.

Melvin Gordon also has a much larger sample size. I dont think its really fair to compare the two.

ModSocks
01-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Thats old thread. Like more than 10yrs old. You've been wrong just as much as anyone here.

CoMo, your reputation precedes you. That's ok. That makes you popular.

And i've been wrong as much as anyone on here? That's a stretch.

MahiMike
01-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Wish Pat had Kemp last game.

ModSocks
01-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Melvin Gordon also has a much larger sample size. I dont think its really fair to compare the two.

And in that larger sample size he has yet to eclipse 4YPC in a season. Point being, West is a suitable back up RB.

TwistedChief
01-02-2018, 07:28 PM
I think we just have Spiller returning kicks and doing it in a more conservative fashion (ie, not returning something from 5yds deep). I don't really miss Akeem Hunt or DAT in this capacity.

DAT as a gunner has more value, but even then, meh. There were more significant injuries we could've had in that game so I'll take it. (And DAT brought that injury completely on himself unfortunately.)

And the possibility of Spiller either doing something to win a game or - more likely because Chiefs - lose it for us is worth it's weight in Chiefs lore gold.

Red Dawg
01-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Heeeees baaaaack

TribalElder
01-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Spiller should make an impact

Good story line

Signed and cut a dozen times

Too bad horseface wouldn't release jamaar

CoMoChief
01-02-2018, 07:55 PM
CoMo, your reputation precedes you. That's ok. That makes you popular.

And i've been wrong as much as anyone on here? That's a stretch.

Dont worry you're not the only one.

Chiefshrink
01-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Wish Pat had Kemp last game.

Wouldn't that been a hoot !! Like you, I love Kemp. Had Kemp played I think both of these guys would have brought the New Year's Eve KC Plaza light show to Bronco stadium.:D

splatbass
01-02-2018, 08:11 PM
IDK if I would trust Kemp to start that in a playoff game. At least Spiller has some experience. I might consider being more conservative on touchbacks but the Chiefs seem to have a strategy of taking almost everything out.

That strategy fails almost all of the time. I wish they would just take the touchback.

Red Dawg
01-02-2018, 08:13 PM
I like me some Kemp. Kid runs like a deer.

Chiefshrink
01-02-2018, 08:24 PM
That strategy fails almost all of the time. I wish they would just take the touchback.

Take the 25 every time I agree. If we put TH back their they most definitely will kick it out the endzone. But with Succop kicking he is like Santos and can only get it to the 5/goal line most of the time soooooooo........

smithandrew051
01-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Take the 25 every time I agree. If we put TH back their they most definitely will kick it out the endzone. But with Succop kicking he is like Santos and can only get it to the 5/goal line most of the time soooooooo........

I honestly think we should consider having Tyreek return kicks against either NE or Pittsburgh if we get past the Titans. Might as well give ourselves the best possible chance to win.

CaliforniaChief
01-02-2018, 08:35 PM
How many kicks are ever returned, anyways? And usually the ones that are shouldn't be.

HemiEd
01-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Hope they both play somewhere else next yr.

Both suck

Your and idiot. Hunt does not suck.

HemiEd
01-02-2018, 09:59 PM

One they need to change. Starting from the 25 just seems better than the 12.

jLoy88
01-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Chiefs.com (http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Injury-Update-One-Chief-Returns-But-Four-Players-Miss-Practice/544e1729-a728-4737-85f6-ece4570ee99b)

The Chiefs also placed wide receiver De’Anthony Thomas (leg) and running back Akeem Hunt (ankle), who both left Sunday’s contest with injuries, on Injured Reserve and signed tailback C.J. Spiller and wide receiver Marcus Kemp to the active roster.

Spiller has played in one game for Kansas City this season, carrying the ball twice in Week 7 against Oakland. Kemp was active in Week 6 against Pittsburgh, playing eight offensive snaps.
:banghead:

Why Not?
01-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Again? Do they get double the contracts?

Dartgod
01-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Ummm...

WhawhaWhat
01-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Again? Do they get double the contracts?

It's possible that they released CJ Spiller yesterday and then re-signed him again today.

Chief Northman
Welcome to 48 hours ago

Why Not?
It's possible that they released CJ Spiller yesterday and then re-signed him again today.

Lol. That's true

Dartgod

That makes more sense than this thread.

Renegade
01-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Any bets if Spiller is active or inactive Saturday?

Dunerdr
01-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Chiefs need to look at RB next yr, preferably via draft.

Not sure how well Ware will be able to recover, or if he'll ever be the same as he was pre-inj. All I know is West is a very avg player at best, and he's always hurt.

can we just sign ware? he seems like the best number two you could get.

DaneMcCloud
01-04-2018, 08:44 PM
can we just sign ware? he seems like the best number two you could get.

Ware is under contract in 2018

oldman
01-05-2018, 07:33 AM
Any bets if Spiller is active or inactive Saturday?

I'll bet he's active, just to be the returner. If West is back healthy, he'll be the 3rd down back and Sherman should get some carries.