PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The 2018 George Blowfish Playoff Manifesto

gblowfish
01-06-2018, 09:52 AM
The George Blowfish Playoff Manifesto

Here it is, another January morning coming down. I am a creature of habit on game days. I have my superstitions. I fly a Chiefs Flag from my front porch, the same one that flew over my dad’s house on Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs, Arkansas during his last years.

I have my coffee from the same ceramic Chiefs mug I’ve owned since Mackovic broke the playoff drought in 1986. I’ve been to every Chiefs home playoff game since the 1971 Dolphins longest game, the last game to be played in Municipal Stadium. 22nd and Brooklyn is just another housing development now.

I say a little prayer asking for good luck and victory, although I’ve always been conflicted about asking the man upstairs for his favor in something as inconsequential as a professional sporting event. Hell, even the NFL doesn’t guarantee the game isn’t rigged. The courts ruled they only owe you a “entertainment event.” But old habits die hard. Games like this will always be personal to me.

I was telling a co-worker yesterday that I always seem to be in a bad mood in January. I think my history as a Chiefs fan is why.

We’ve all read the historical breakdowns this week. Chiefs all time playoff record going back to 1962 starting as the Dallas Texans is 9 - 17. Chiefs only have two playoff wins in Arrowhead, and the last one was in overtime over Pittsburgh with Joe Montana at the helm.

The Indianapolis Colts have as many playoff victories in Arrowhead as the Chiefs do. We’ve lost to Hall of Famers like Marino, Elway, Kelly, Manning, and Rothlisburger, and lesser QBs like Humphries, Flacco and Harbaugh. Today we face Marcus Mariota. He has no business winning here. But he did last year, so I'm expecting this game to be another white knuckler.

Have the Chiefs been snakebit at Arrowhead in the playoffs? Absolutely. When you have games that are known by monikers like “The Kicker Who Shall Remain Nameless Game” or “The No Punt Game” or the “Grbac Pants Wetting Game” or the “James Harrison Flop Game” then you know it’s been a nightmare for Chiefs fans. There is a reason our fan base has Battered Wife Syndrome. It’s richly deserved. Few teams have suffered through as much playoff futility as Chiefs fans. The scars run deep.

I followed the Royals for 29 years between World Series victories. That’s a third of a lifetime if I live to be a very elderly Blowfish. When the Royals had three 100-loss seasons, I was convinced they would be irrelevant for the rest of my life. But they had a seminal moment when they overcame a huge deficit and beat Oakland in a winner take all playoff game. Then they caught fire and built a world’s champion, and defeated a New York team to the dismay of the national media. The victory parade to Union Station was a once in a lifetime joyous event. Royals fans will never forget it.

Now it’s time for the Chiefs to take a step forward in their process towards returning to greatness.

I’m not expecting the Chiefs to make it to the Super Bowl with Alex Smith. Despite his stats, he’s just never been the guy who carries his team to victory in the clutch. He never has been. This year he had multiple chances to shine. He had the ball with a chance to win against Pittsburgh, Buffalo and in both New York games late, and failed each and every time. But Alex knows he's running out of rodeos. He should be good enough to get us a win today. Then if we are lucky enough to pull through and head on to a showdown in New England, we will have received our shot. That’s all we can ask for. But we have to survive today to make that a reality.

Let’s hope this is a good day. Perhaps Saturday, not Sunday, is our day for home playoff victories. And this year, the ice that’s coming will be the day after the playoff game, not the night before.

I’m ready for a fight.
Let’s go to work.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Nice work, George. Here's to the beginning of a new January winning tradition in Kansas City.

Spott
01-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Here’s some more playoff mojo for you. Both of our playoff wins at Arrowhead were day games on Saturdays during the wild card weekend. Our last playoff win in 2015 was also on a Saturday wild card game. Also, our last 2 playoff wins were against franchises that began in Houston.

cabletech94
01-06-2018, 10:11 AM
dilly dilly, friend.

i am generally in a poor mood in january as well.

BlackHelicopters
01-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Great! Damn near UNABOMER great!

rabblerouser
01-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Let's do this - Saturdays have been good to us in the playoffs...

Prison Bitch
01-06-2018, 10:36 AM
We are very lucky this game is today and not tomorrow

RickObie
01-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Well said sir! Thanks for all of your insight this season.

Easy 6
01-06-2018, 11:03 AM
We're Pesci, and the Titans are crying like a little girl on the floor

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bAiNKxTKjzQ" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hitchief
01-06-2018, 11:24 AM
agree with you Alex has not taken his team on his back and won a SB but lets be honest, it really does take more than just a great qb to win a SB.

Otherwise Rodgers would have won way more than 1 of them as he is considered by most to be the most talented qb in the NFL.

Its gonna take a running game to compliment the passing game. Its gonna take the D to get off the field on 3rd down on a consistent basis or have at least 1 TO a game or not give up 200 yards on the ground.

And yes, Alex will have to play like his best games this year for them to have a chance.

Chiefs have lost many playoff games in many ways as you mentioned. A great QB can overcome a lot but just look to a guys like Marino as an example or Rivers.

TwistedChief
01-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Yes to all of this. "After winter must come spring. Change...it comes eventually."

Time to rewrite the script.

siberian khatru
01-06-2018, 12:30 PM
I hate this feeling: What's it gonna be this time?

I hate that I don't feel like I can enjoy the game until they're leading when the clock reads zero, and there's a wait for another moment or two just to make sure New York doesn't phone in and say, Hold it a minute.

I've just been beaten down too much.

KChiefs1
01-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Awesome stuff George.

Otter
01-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Here's to a Chiefs win my brother GB! :toast:

SAUTO
01-06-2018, 12:47 PM
TODAY IS OUR DAY GEORGE!

OUR FUCKING DAY!!

cooper barrett
01-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Great read George, Now where is the real dirt?

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26169756_10155902913545930_1012581067431368644_n.jpg?oh=e70601232e7fd3b1f31cc024a18433cf&oe=5AE91051

Mr Diggity, speak up!

Chiefshrink
01-06-2018, 12:53 PM
I hate this feeling: What's it gonna be this time?

I hate that I don't feel like I can enjoy the game until they're leading when the clock reads zero, and there's a wait for another moment or two just to make sure New York doesn't phone in and say, Hold it a minute.

I've just been beaten down too much.

We are what we are and especially in the playoffs my friend. You never get used to it as you have stated above.;)

Chiefshrink
01-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Here is hoping that the Chiefs become the Royals of '14' and Alex exhibits "selective amnesia" for the first time in his career !!:thumb:

Pointer19
01-06-2018, 01:03 PM
This is the game Goodell has made, let us rejoice and win in it!

cooper barrett
01-06-2018, 01:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y1S0oW5.gifHere's to a Chiefs win my brother GB! :toast:

Straight, No Chaser
01-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Thanks again for another season of "Ten Things..."
Like all the anecdotes including the superstitious artifacts and game day routines. You should turn all that history/low expectations into a book. Self publish!

scho63
01-06-2018, 02:15 PM
What a fantastic write up GBlowfish!

I couldn't have put my words or feelings as a fan since 1970 any better.

This thread deserves HOF consideration! :clap:

mnchiefsguy
01-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Amen, George, Amen.

Stay warm out there.

KChiefs1
01-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Can't wait for your ten things after this shitfest.

Bwana
01-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Good work George, I think this is the part where I'm supposed to say "we'll get them next year," but I would be telling a fib.