PDA

View Full Version : Football I propose a cleansing ritual.

Rain Man
01-07-2018, 12:37 AM
Okay, here's the deal.

The franchise is cursed. You know and I know it and the players know it.

The franchise is cursed and we as fans are irretrievably damaged. It will never change. Whether it's because Arrowhead was built on an ancient Indian burial ground or because we traded Super Bowl icon Otis Taylor (see documentation below) or because our cheerleaders are selected based on spirit instead of looks, it doesn't matter. The bottom line is that the Kansas City Chiefs are cursed.

The curse not only affects the team's success, it affects our enjoyment of the game. We know that the Chiefs will lose playoff games in a painful manner, and so we come into the games all hangdog. And my worry is that the fans and writers impact the players negatively, which exacerbates the curse. It's a neverending cycle.

So how do we break the cycle?

Well, let me tell you a little story.

Many years ago, I worked at a company that was kind of dysfunctional. At one point, half the company resigned en masse, and it resulted in an office shuffle. Several senior people with large offices left, so the people who remained moved into them.

One of those people was a good friend of mine, and when the office reallocation got to her, the best remaining office was this really nice corner office. The building was kind of octagonal, so the corner was 45 degrees, but that only made it better because it was a cool shape. The only downside was that it (true story) overlooked a big sign for the next building for a company called Janus, but the J was blocked out from view. So you looked out the window at big 12-foot letters that spelled out A N U S. But it was a nice office.

The problem with this office was that it was previously occupied by a senior guy who was not well regarded at all, and he was particularly a nemesis of my friend. She couldn't stand any aspect of this guy, and she didn't want to be in an office that had been corrupted and ruined by his aura. But it was a corner office, so she couldn't pass it up.

So she did some research and she performed a cleansing ritual. Borrowing some native american customs (because we white people do that), she got some flowers and incense and stuff, and she held a formal cleansing ritual to do a hard reset of the office. She got rid of his aura and replaced it with neutrality, so she could start fresh and not be weighed down by his baggage.

You know where I'm headed with this.

The Chiefs are cursed. The Chiefs will never win a Super Bowl. Heck, at this point I question whether they'll ever win two playoff games in the same year. And even if something miraculous should happen, we're all so scarred and traumatized that we won't enjoy it.

So let's do this. We've got a brand new franchise quarterback coming in. He's all shiny and new and pretty much still in his original packaging. He's not yet tainted by the curse. So let's do a hard reset and give him a whole new franchise to root for, one that's not poisoned and gnarled and miserable.

I propose that for the 2018 season, the Kansas City Chiefs no longer exist. Instead, we are rooting for a hot new expansion team that features the best young quarterback in the league, the league's leading rusher, the fastest man in the NFL, the best young kicker in the NFL, the league's hottest reality show tight end, the best cornerback in the NFL, a former NFL sack champion, and a superhuman horse-fearing safety.

We are an expansion team for the ages, coming to take the NFL by storm. And our name is the ....

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fa/83/b5/fa83b51ecfd1472e0534a35ada8ca65d--pure-white-small-animals.jpg

Missouri Ermines.

If you support this measure, let's ...

1. change the name of the forum to the Ermine's Den.
2. autocorrect every reference of Kansas City to Missouri and every reference of Chiefs to Ermines.
3. wear snow white on game day.

So let's do this. Let's shed our old skin and emerge new stronger than ever.

Go Ermines!

kysirsoze
01-07-2018, 12:40 AM
I want a number 15 Ermines jersey ASAP.

Bearcat
01-07-2018, 12:43 AM
Really wish North Dakota hockey would have changed their name to the Ermines.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2018, 12:46 AM
What about the Hermines?

cdcox
01-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Throw in new ownership and a new stadium and you have a deal. Arrowhead has not been a good home for the Chiefs.

digger
01-07-2018, 12:52 AM
Here is a good start:
https://media.tenor.co/images/71b172b045c011116ec0958b19cc6c03/tenor.gif

DaNewGuy
01-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Try to get this team to join the xfl

mr. tegu
01-07-2018, 12:59 AM
Are you sure using Missouri as the team’s location is the best choice? Not exactly conjuring up a lot of good mojo.

Rain Man
01-07-2018, 01:05 AM
Are you sure using Missouri as the team’s location is the best choice? Not exactly conjuring up a lot of good mojo.

I'd prefer that they be somewhere else at this point, but I think we're kind of stuck. Is Arrowhead in some other city limits that we can use instead?

wazu
01-07-2018, 01:05 AM
Ermines aren’t even native to Missouri! The answer is no.

Rain Man
01-07-2018, 01:11 AM
Ermines aren’t even native to Missouri! The answer is no.

How many Lions do you see in Detroit? How many Jaguars in Jacksonville?

You can doubt the Ermines, but they're going to be the league's hottest team in 2018 behind quarterback Patrick Mahomes II. They're going to take the league by storm.

mr. tegu
01-07-2018, 01:12 AM
I'd prefer that they be somewhere else at this point, but I think we're kind of stuck. Is Arrowhead in some other city limits that we can use instead?

North American Ermines?

Also, perhaps a good stadium name would be Kauffman Stadium Southwest. There is at least some positive vibes from that.

Rain Man
01-07-2018, 01:14 AM
North American Ermines?

Also, perhaps a good stadium name would be Kauffman Stadium Southwest. There is at least some positive vibes from that.

Hmm, we could claim a big fan base with North America. We could get the Canadian market and the Mexican market and probably even Cuba. Plus, it puts to rest wazu's concern since ermines are indeed native to North America.

Let's go with that. The North American Ermines, starring Patrick Mahomes II and Kareem Hunt.

wazu
01-07-2018, 01:18 AM
How many Lions do you see in Detroit? How many Jaguars in Jacksonville?

You can doubt the Ermines, but they're going to be the league's hottest team in 2018 behind quarterback Patrick Mahomes II. They're going to take the league by storm.

None, which is why I disapprove of them like I do the L.A. Lakers or the Utah Jazz.

Rain Man
01-07-2018, 01:24 AM
None, which is why I disapprove of them like I do the L.A. Lakers or the Utah Jazz.

Utah can be kind of jazzy when that big choir does the Little Drummer Boy.

wazu
01-07-2018, 01:27 AM
Utah can be kind of jazzy when that big choir does the Little Drummer Boy.

Touché.

mr. tegu
01-07-2018, 01:27 AM

Does the zoo have ermines? And if so, have they bred them? Perhaps we do have some native ermines.

Rain Man
01-07-2018, 01:28 AM
Touché.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z2XGhQUMLmU" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
01-07-2018, 01:35 AM
Does the zoo have ermines? And if so, have they bread them? Perhaps we do have some native ermines.

I have had breaded ermines. They are delicious.

Rain Man
01-07-2018, 01:38 AM

Ermines are both vicious and delicious. They're the perfect mascot.

mr. tegu
01-07-2018, 01:42 AM

Did you get them from the zoo?

listopencil
01-07-2018, 01:47 AM
Did you get them from the zoo?

No. Ermines run wild in Cali.

kjwood75nro
01-07-2018, 01:53 AM
Ermine has too many issues. I wager that less than half of CP could pronounce "ermine" correctly (no looking it up). Also, it looks too much like the word "feminine."

So in keeping with the theme of aggressive, delicious members of the weasel family, why not stoats? Kansas City Stoats rolls off the tongue, has no pronunciation issues, and would be a much more masculine word to shout.

TimBone
01-07-2018, 01:59 AM
A++++

Cornstock
01-07-2018, 02:00 AM
Ermine has too many issues. I wager that less than half of CP could pronounce "ermine" correctly (no looking it up). Also, it looks too much like the word "feminine."

So in keeping with the theme of aggressive, delicious members of the weasel family, why not stoats? Kansas City Stoats rolls off the tongue, has no pronunciation issues, and would be a much more masculine word to shout.

GO STOATS!

Yup, just yelled it. It sounds good.

I second the motion (googling stoats)

Nickel D
01-07-2018, 08:36 AM
It's so much easier for us to get "...some flowers and incense and stuff..." and then invade Arrowhead, the practice facility, and the training camp dorms and facilities, and perform an intense cleansing ritual.

And...OBTW...speaking of incense...those gosh durn drummer boys on that video look intensely incensed!!

TwistedChief
01-07-2018, 08:54 AM
I voted no and only because I think changing the team name just isn't going to cut it as we're not addressing the bigger issue of choosing cheerleaders based on spirit rather than looks.

duncan_idaho
01-07-2018, 09:01 AM
It's not Arrowhead.

It isn't the Chiefs name.

It's the way the team has approached the most important position in sports for decades.

Being OK with a safe QB who will give you a high floor leads to a consistently low ceiling, too.

That's about to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

displacedinMN
01-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Move them to KS and play in the soccer stadium. That may be all the seats they need next year. Works for the Chargers.

Blindly follow Rainman.

Kman34
01-07-2018, 09:36 AM
A nuclear bomb is the only cleansing that will reset this shit show....

jimidollar
01-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Fuck it, why not? Nothing else we do ever works.