PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Fun game... could Chiefs be frontrunner for Adam Zimmer as DC?

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Let's play a fun little game of "wishful thinking" here. It's interesting that nobody is toying with this idea that the Chiefs are waiting on Adam Zimmer. Let's put some pieces together, shall we?

No word of the Chiefs pursuing DC candidates. Minnesota is still in the playoffs. Check.
[Edited] Andy Reid had his best success under Jim Johnson. Zimmer's defense has shades of Jim Johnson. It's a scheme Andy is very familiar with. It is also the first scheme Veach ever worked with. Check.
Andy Reid will be more comfortable with someone he knows. His most experienced defensive Assistant, Gary Gibbs, tells Andy Reid he had this guy he liked so much in New Orleans that he hired him again in Kansas City to be his Assistant LBs coach. Check.
Adam Zimmer is young and has no DC experience. He'll want an experienced Assistant, preferably with DC experience to manage the defense. Adam Zimmer's once coached under a DC named Gary Gibbs in New Orleans. Check.
Zimmer wants a staff he can trust. Andy Reid probably wants to keep the staff intact, especially since his son is on it. Zimmer won't have an issue doing that because he trusts Gibbs and because he's already worked with Gibbs and Emmett Thomas. Check.

Just a fun game. Not getting my hopes up. But there are so many dots that connect here it's just crazy.

Chief Northman
01-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Well, let’s hope your hunch is magically right.

Anything would be better than another year in this predicatable, soft, Ryan 3-4 Sutton runs.
Personnel is also a huge problem.

Hammock Parties
01-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Mike Lombardi claims Chiefs will change out of the Ryan scheme.

Link?

dlphg9
01-10-2018, 08:21 PM
Did Sutton get fired? Wtf is going on

TLO
01-10-2018, 08:22 PM

Nobody really knows for sure.

FringeNC
01-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Changing out of the Ryan scheme is long overdue. It's been a disaster lately wherever in the NFL it's been used.

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Link?

Was that a fake tweet? Oh well. Barely relevant. I'll delete.

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 08:25 PM
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Eagle-Eye-Memories-Of-Jim-Johnson/9b361fdb-38a7-45d8-9c7b-a87a3614f793
"When you study a Mike Zimmer defense, you see a lot of the same hallmarks of Johnson’s scheme. With Zimmer, the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings, it all starts with their aggressive pressure package. The foundation of what they do is based on what is termed as A-gap pressure, which is basically attacking a quarterback right up the middle. A gaps are the two spaces directly to the left and right of the center, between the two guards. The reason for this is simple, the A gaps provide the shortest path to the quarterback. By constantly threatening that space, Zimmer’s teams are always aiming to be in a quarterback’s face and disrupting the action."

Jamie
01-10-2018, 08:28 PM
The thing that would make me nervous is we have several guys who don't really fit a 4-3. You probably try Tanoh at LE, who plays RE? Houston? Who plays linebacker? We got Ragland for cheap because he doesn't fit a 4-3.

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 08:41 PM
The thing that would make me nervous is we have several guys who don't really fit a 4-3. You probably try Tanoh at LE, who plays RE? Houston? Who plays linebacker? We got Ragland for cheap because he doesn't fit a 4-3.

Fair question.... Houston is the only wild card but he played a 4-3 in college. The rest? What better time than now? Bailey, Ford, DJ, Hali, Parker all have expensive contracts that are easier to cut out. And even still... our secondary will be fine. And DJ, Logan, Hali, Pierre-Louis have played on an NFL 4-3, and Jones and Bailey could probably do it pretty easily. Actually, Jones could be great. Keep in mind that Jim Johnson constantly churned shitty LBs like Trotter and Shawn Barber with tons of success.

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2018, 08:42 PM
Mike Lombardis info seems to have been useless. It was just a rumor from his podcast and it seems to have ballooned out of control.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-10-2018, 08:43 PM
The 3-4/4-3 talk is kinda pointless for the most part. Teams are in 4-2 fronts the majority of the time anyways. 3-4 or 4-3, you are still going to see guys like Houston on the edge and Chris Jones at a 3-technique.

The big difference is at ILB, where I'm not sure we are ready to make such a switch. Hard to say.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-10-2018, 08:44 PM
I'm all for a new DC, esp outside the current staff. But as far as 4-3/3-4 goes, I don't care a ton.

Sassy Squatch
01-10-2018, 08:45 PM
I'm all for a new DC, esp outside the current staff. But as far as 4-3/3-4 goes, I don't care a ton.
Aggressive. That's all I want.

NJChiefsFan
01-10-2018, 08:47 PM

Not really sure but if you find any news on Reddit please let us know.

Red Dawg
01-10-2018, 08:47 PM
STOP TEASING ME WITH SUTTONS FIRING! Bastards. You effing heartless bastards.

TLO
01-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Not really sure but if you find any news on Reddit please let us know.

Or Facebook Marketplace for that matter

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Mike Lombardis info seems to have been useless. It was just a rumor from his podcast and it seems to have ballooned out of control.

That's why I called it a "fun game." I'm not speculating anything or even hinted that this was at all in play. I am asking "why not"? There is nothing in anything or the title that even hints that there's any kind of breaking news whatsoever.

The Franchise
01-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Why would he leave the Vikings?

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Why would he leave the Vikings?

It would be a significant promotion to DC.
And if there's any Assistant he might leave the Vikings for, it would be Gary Gibbs.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-10-2018, 08:58 PM
We aren't even IN the running for a DC right now

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 09:13 PM
We aren't even IN the running for a DC right now

I clearly stated in the title that this is for discussion, not to break any kind of news. Considering the Chiefs have not denied any rumors about Sutton despite all the press. And considering we're talking about an Assistant who is in the playoffs, there is also no evidence that this is out of play either.

CaliforniaChief
01-10-2018, 09:21 PM
I suggested Adam Zimmer a few days ago.

But I honestly think they would have just fired Sutton already, even if they couldn't talk to Zimmer yet.

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 09:34 PM

But I honestly think they would have just fired Sutton already, even if they couldn't talk to Zimmer yet.

I agree, for now it's wishful thinking. But I floated the idea that the situation could be different because the Chiefs would use Gibbs to get to Zimmer, maybe Emmett Thomas too. And because they want to respect keeping their space from pursuing a playoff coach (firing Sutton invites speculation that they're waiting on someone... also leaves these guys open to be picked off for a lateral move).

What I find odd and hopefully encouraging is that the Chiefs have been dead silent this whole time.

chiefzilla1501
01-10-2018, 09:44 PM
One more....
Brett Veach, the first defensive coordinator he ever worked with? Jim Johnson. Specifically thanked the late Jim Johnson during his opening presser at around the 3:30 mark. So Veach is well connected to the Johnson scheme too.

http://www.610sports.com/media/audio-channel/0724-brett-veach

Bewbies
01-10-2018, 10:06 PM

If you're only interested in 1 guy you might wait to fire Sutton until you know you have hired new guy.

I'd like them to have fired Sutton before he was in the locker room, but there's coaches being fired now who didn't even make the playoffs. I don't think waiting a few days really points in one direction or the other. Until they say he's returning, or they said he's leaving, we don't know what they're doing.

ILChief
01-10-2018, 10:09 PM
I don't know anything about him but he has to be better than grandpa Bob

rabblerouser
01-10-2018, 10:17 PM
If you're only interested in 1 guy you might wait to fire Sutton until you know you have hired new guy.

This - don't want to get stuck in the lurch after the playoffs trying to find a stopgap DC.

Superbowltrashcan
01-10-2018, 10:47 PM
I don't know anything about him but he has to be better than grandpa Bob

Plus we have Uber now...

https://www.kshb.com/sports/football/chiefs/chiefs-defensive-assistant-adam-zimmer-charged-with-dui-after-wreck-on-ward-parkway

carcosa
01-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Fun!

jaa1025
01-11-2018, 12:09 AM
If Sutton is still the DC next Monday he isn't going anywhere. I'd take just about anyone right now than Sutton and this defense.

Titty Meat
01-11-2018, 12:27 AM
If Sutton is still the DC next Monday he isn't going anywhere. I'd take just about anyone right now than Sutton and this defense.

I don't think he gets fired but this isn't true. It may depend on what happens with Steve Spagnolo.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 08:53 AM
I don't think he gets fired but this isn't true. It may depend on what happens with Steve Spagnolo.

That's entirely possible. I don't know how to feel about the guy. He's more aggressive than the Sean McDermotts of the world, but he just hasn't seemed to repeat the success of his absolutely loaded giants team. But the tree connection is strong on this one and it's definitely an upgrade. Like Zimmer, there's an actual reason why we wouldn't have pursued him just yet.

JakeF
01-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Hiring a new DC would put his son's job at risk. I suppose Reid could make keep Britt on the payroll part of a prerequisite of getting the job. I doubt Reid makes any significant changes to the coaching staff.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Hiring a new DC would put his son's job at risk. I suppose Reid could make keep Britt on the payroll part of a prerequisite of getting the job. I doubt Reid makes any significant changes to the coaching staff.

I'm sure Andy will give his untouchables and I don't see any issue with Britt Reid being one of them. But thats why I floated Zimmer. He's worked with gibbs and Thomas before. I also think spagnuolo would be fine with the staff as is.

Chris Meck
01-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Bailey, Jones, and Tanoh could fit fine as A gap attacking linemen. Houston as a RDE rush end ala Hali's earlier career would be fine and end the Houston in coverage fiasco. Ragland still fits as a thumper, but you're going to need a couple 'backers that can cover and/or blitz depending on the call. It's also worth noting-and has been said but not directly that you're rarely in your base defense much anymore as few teams line up in a traditional pro set at all, even on first down. In reality, nickel is probably used as much as your base.

JakeF
01-11-2018, 09:35 AM
I'm sure Andy will give his untouchables and I don't see any issue with Britt Reid being one of them. But thats why I floated Zimmer. He's worked with gibbs and Thomas before. I also think spagnuolo would be fine with the staff as is.
Seems like the Defensive line took a gigantic dump in Britt's 2nd season. I'm not sure why people think Britt is any good.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Bailey, Jones, and Tanoh could fit fine as A gap attacking linemen. Houston as a RDE rush end ala Hali's earlier career would be fine and end the Houston in coverage fiasco. Ragland still fits as a thumper, but you're going to need a couple 'backers that can cover and/or blitz depending on the call. It's also worth noting-and has been said but not directly that you're rarely in your base defense much anymore as few teams line up in a traditional pro set at all, even on first down. In reality, nickel is probably used as much as your base.

Yeah, I'm not overly worried about the front. But if Zimmer and spagnuolo are our most likely candidates (just total speculation, of course), those guys run a lot of double A gap blitz so our LB situation may need to change a bit. But in terms of coverages, feel like our secondary is plenty equipped to do it especially since Zimmer loves to press.

Chris Meck
01-11-2018, 09:51 AM
I really think the biggest problem with the d-line is that nobody wants to be a fucking space eater. You don't attack, you occupy a space so that the other team has to run around you, which allows the LB's to locate and flow to the ball. By the time you realize it's a pass play it's too late to mount much of a push. I imagine you'd be much more enthusiastic about attacking a gap and forcing the offense to deal with you rather than the other way around. It also asks for slightly different bodies; and at least up front I think we could have them already on board. 3-4, 4-3, 4-3 under, I don't think that matters all that much and we could literally use a mixture of all of that and to an extent already do considering how much nickel and dime we've been running. The difference is dictating to the offense rather than reacting to what they're doing.

JakeF
01-11-2018, 09:55 AM
I really think the biggest problem with the d-line is that nobody wants to be a fucking space eater. You don't attack, you occupy a space so that the other team has to run around you, which allows the LB's to locate and flow to the ball. By the time you realize it's a pass play it's too late to mount much of a push. I imagine you'd be much more enthusiastic about attacking a gap and forcing the offense to deal with you rather than the other way around. It also asks for slightly different bodies; and at least up front I think we could have them already on board. 3-4, 4-3, 4-3 under, I don't think that matters all that much and we could literally use a mixture of all of that and to an extent already do considering how much nickel and dime we've been running. The difference is dictating to the offense rather than reacting to what they're doing.
We signed Bennie Logan in free agency to be just that, a space eater.

Chris Meck
01-11-2018, 09:57 AM
We signed Bennie Logan in free agency to be just that, a space eater.

yup. Didn't work out so well.