PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cleveland Browns and Alex Smith? A closer look -- Terry Pluto

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 03:37 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/01/cleveland_browns_alex_smith_a.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l7_x5wQfJHM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- As if the Cleveland Browns needed another reason to go after Alex Smith, consider this from Profootballfocus:

"One of the surprises of the season, Smith became the league's most efficient deep thrower, finishing first in adjusted completion percentage and yards while tying for first with 12 touchdowns.

"After generally ranking near the bottom in deep passing attempts in years past, a more aggressive approach had Smith ranked 11th with 12.3 percent of his attempts going deep this season. All told, it helped to pay off as he posted a career-high PFF grade."

I've always considered Smith a "game manager" style quarterback who also has the ability to run for first downs.

At best, I thought his arm strength was average.

Maybe it's average -- but he's finding ways to get the ball downfield to open receivers.

Of course, the Browns would have to secure some better receivers -- another job for new general manager John Dorsey.

It's common knowledge Dorsey likes the 33-year-old Smith. Trading for the veteran quarterback was one of his first moves after taking over the Kansas City Chiefs in 2013.

The Chiefs season ended Saturday after they blew a 21-3 lead to the Tennessee Titans in the AFC Wild Card game. The Titans came back to win, 22-21.

Had the Chiefs advanced deep into the playoffs, they probably would have been more likely to keep Smith.

Instead, they might turn to Patrick Mahomes. He was picked No. 10 in the 2017 draft ... by Dorsey. That was a month before he was fired as general manager of the Chiefs.

The Chiefs have Smith under contract for 2018 for $17 million. Kansas City also has some salary cap problems, another reason Smith could be traded.

Given the Browns have more than $100 million of salary cap room, that's no barrier for them.

The question would be what type of draft picks the Chiefs would want in return.

And Browns fans know, their favorite team has oodles of picks -- including three in the second round of 2018.

WHY SMITH?

Some things to consider about Smith:

1. He is the anti-DeShone Kizer. In the last three years covering 46 games, he has thrown 20 interceptions. Kizer threw 21 interceptions in 15 games this season.

2. Smith has lost six fumbles in the last four years. Kizer lost six fumbles in 15 games this season.

3. Smith has a 50-26 record in five years with the Chiefs. For his career, he is 88-62-1. Is he great? No. Can he win a lot of regular season games? Absolutely!

4. Besides the money, why would the Chiefs deal Smith? He's had problems in the playoffs. He is 1-4 in the postseason. He's not played that poorly: 65 percent completions, nine TDs compared to two interceptions in five games. But the Chefs could not make a real Super Bowl run.

5. Smith has become a victim of rising expectations in Kansas City. The Chiefs were 2-14 the season before he arrived. He helped turn them into a playoff team. But the goal is the Super Bowl, and January has been a cruel month for the Chiefs because of the playoffs.

6. Smith is very durable. He has missed only four games in five years with the Chiefs.

7. Smith would give the Browns an experienced, smart quarterback who is coming off the best season of his 12-year career. The Browns have not had a player like him since they returned in 1999.

8. Turnovers destroyed the Browns in several games last season. Adding Smith would cut them dramatically.

9. Several teams will be after Smith. Possible places for him include Denver, Arizona, the New York Jets and perhaps Jacksonville or Buffalo.

10. The more you look at Smith and how he fits with the Browns, the more attractive he becomes in an orange helmet.

Reerun_KC
01-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Tl;dr.
Is he gone yet?

The Franchise
01-11-2018, 03:40 PM
3, 7 and 8 are the important numbers.

Hoover
01-11-2018, 03:46 PM
They are a playoff team with Smith IMO.

They are in the cat bird seat.

Tons of cap room. Tons of picks.

They can get Smith and draft a QB of the future, AND still add top talent in this draft. insane!

oaklandhater
Tl;dr.
Is he gone yet?

No but lets hope it's the Browns Tiger's meltdown would be amazing.

MagicHef
SF to KC to CLE.

That's a downward trajectory if I've ever seen one.

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 03:47 PM

They can get Smith and draft a QB of the future, AND still add top talent in this draft. insane!

Smith shits the bed every time he plays the Steelers.

I still think the browns would miss the play offs AFCN plays hard smash mouth football in cold weather.

Smith would crack under the pressure.

stumppy
01-11-2018, 03:47 PM
A 1st and a 3rd !

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 03:48 PM
SF to KC to CLE.

a fitting end for a mediocre QB.

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Well Dorsey you heard the man, make it happen

Give Cleveland an A effort offseason capped by signing Smith, and drag their sorry asses up off the mat

If you dont love any QBs coming out this year, Smith not only gives you a dependable 2-3 year guy, but also buys you time to evaluate Kizer as the #2... and you can revisit the new rookie QB scenario in a year or two

Hammock Parties
01-11-2018, 03:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/esDlrOS.jpg

Iowanian
01-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

It is the wisest Choice, Cleveland. Your fan base is already prepared.

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 03:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/esDlrOS.jpg

REP!

Hoover
01-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Smith shits the bed every time he plays the Steelers.

I still think the browns would miss the play offs AFCN plays hard smash mouth football in cold weather.

Smith would crack under the pressure.
I think the main point, is that he makes them respectable overnight. Is he going to dominate the Steelers no. But maybe they draft Barkley too and ply physical. Its not all on Alex.

Oh and Alex was 19/34 for 246 and a TD. That's not shitting the bed.

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

It is the wisest Choice, Cleveland. Your fan base is already prepared.

The difference between Browns fan's and Chiefs fans is astounding.

A ton of fans were pissed when the chiefs traded for Alex and got another retread.

Browns fans just want to get a few wins under their belt anyway they can.

jaa1025
01-11-2018, 03:53 PM
I think he's the best option for a team trying to change their identity from a perennial loser like Cleveland. 0-32 in the past two years. He, along with that front office will turn them into a winning team potentially as soon as next year. Baby steps. Much like Reid and Smith did for the Chiefs. They will, in a few years, be needing to upgrade the position to get them over the hump, just like the Chiefs. But they have to take that first step.

All assuming it's Cleveland.

Red Dawg
01-11-2018, 03:57 PM
REP!

That is cool pic.

RippedmyFlesh
01-11-2018, 03:59 PM
9. Several teams will be after Smith. Possible places for him include Denver,

This would be epic can you imagine donk fans defending Smith?
Unleash hundreds of Tigers on the mange.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2018, 03:59 PM
I think the main point, is that he makes them respectable overnight. Is he going to dominate the Steelers no. But maybe they draft Barkley too and ply physical. Its not all on Alex.

Oh and Alex was 19/34 for 246 and a TD. That's not shitting the bed.

Smith had one of his lowest QBRs of the season against the Steelers. 35.8

In the playoffs last year it was 28.1.

The Steelers fucking own him.

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 04:03 PM
I think he's the best option for a team trying to change their identity from a perennial loser like Cleveland. 0-32 in the past two years. He, along with that front office will turn them into a winning team potentially as soon as next year. Baby steps. Much like Reid and Smith did for the Chiefs. They will, in a few years, be needing to upgrade the position to get them over the hump, just like the Chiefs. But they have to take that first step.

All assuming it's Cleveland.

Very much this, he can do the same thing for them that he accomplished for us (stop laughing, haters)

They already have some nice players, so as you say, they could get back to a winning brand of football sooner rather than later... and would help create options for them at QB

Smith, Kizer, jag vet
Smith, Kizer, another #1
Smith, a new #1, jag vet, ditch Kizer

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 04:08 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Browns-considered-a-favorite-to-land-QB-Alex-Smith-113556591

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Won’t trade him in division. Cardinals or Browns are most likely spots <a href="https://t.co/bHwlVnNBv6">https://t.co/bHwlVnNBv6</a></p>&mdash; Joe Banner (@JoeBanner13) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/949821956244889601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Browns considered a favorite to land QB Alex Smith

The Cleveland Browns are considered a favorite to land Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith this off-season.

The team is loaded with draft picks and salary cap space. Chiefs General Manager Brett Veach worked under Browns General Manager John Dorsey in Kansas City for three seasons. In fact, Dorsey hired him to the staff so there is a relationship there. Dorsey, as his first act, acquired Smith from the San Francisco 49ers.

Who would be Cleveland's chief competition in a trade for Smith?

Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko believes the Washington Redskins will be involved if Kirk Cousins departs in free agency.

"Alex Smith will have plenty of teams bidding for him. I expect Cleveland and Washington (if it loses Cousins) to be the favorites. Case Keenum is expected to get a multiyear offer from the Vikings, but the Bills and Chiefs (if Smith leaves) are expected to have interest."

Cousins would reportedly have a serious interest in Cleveland as well.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos and Arizona Cardinals are also expected to have interest. Former Browns CEO Joe Banner feels that the Cardinals will be the stiffest competition for Smith. Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer has already announced his retirement.

Smith was asked after their playoff loss to the Tennessee Titans if he would want to stay in Kansas City. His answer was yes, but he is the ultimate company man and teammate. His willingness to serve as a mentor for any potential draft choice is another reason why he is coveted by teams. The Chiefs are reportedly open to dealing the quarterback's services.

Las Vegas has already revealed odds on where they expect Smith to play next season.

Smith, 33, completed 341-of-505 passes for 4,042 yards, 26 touchdowns and five interceptions during the regular season. He also had 60 carries for 355 yards and a touchdown.

Cleveland is expected to pursue a veteran quarterback as well as select a rookie high in the draft. They own the No. 1 and No. 4 overall selections.

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 04:09 PM
if the browns Trade for Smith they should also Draft QB High in the draft.

Smith always plays his best football when a rookie is on his ass trying to take his job.

JakeF
01-11-2018, 04:11 PM
I just don't think that Dorsey will trade for Alex Smith.You have to think that Dorsey would feel a little bit slighted by the Kansas City organization. Dorsey would also have to know how Alex Smith is going to feel about someone trading for Smith as a placeholder.

Sassy Squatch
01-11-2018, 04:18 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Browns-considered-a-favorite-to-land-QB-Alex-Smith-113556591

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Won’t trade him in division. Cardinals or Browns are most likely spots <a href="https://t.co/bHwlVnNBv6">https://t.co/bHwlVnNBv6</a></p>&mdash; Joe Banner (@JoeBanner13) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/949821956244889601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Browns considered a favorite to land QB Alex Smith

The Cleveland Browns are considered a favorite to land Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith this off-season.

The team is loaded with draft picks and salary cap space. Chiefs General Manager Brett Veach worked under Browns General Manager John Dorsey in Kansas City for three seasons. In fact, Dorsey hired him to the staff so there is a relationship there. Dorsey, as his first act, acquired Smith from the San Francisco 49ers.

Who would be Cleveland's chief competition in a trade for Smith?

Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko believes the Washington Redskins will be involved if Kirk Cousins departs in free agency.

"Alex Smith will have plenty of teams bidding for him. I expect Cleveland and Washington (if it loses Cousins) to be the favorites. Case Keenum is expected to get a multiyear offer from the Vikings, but the Bills and Chiefs (if Smith leaves) are expected to have interest."

Cousins would reportedly have a serious interest in Cleveland as well.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, Denver Broncos and Arizona Cardinals are also expected to have interest. Former Browns CEO Joe Banner feels that the Cardinals will be the stiffest competition for Smith. Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer has already announced his retirement.

Smith was asked after their playoff loss to the Tennessee Titans if he would want to stay in Kansas City. His answer was yes, but he is the ultimate company man and teammate. His willingness to serve as a mentor for any potential draft choice is another reason why he is coveted by teams. The Chiefs are reportedly open to dealing the quarterback's services.

Las Vegas has already revealed odds on where they expect Smith to play next season.

Smith, 33, completed 341-of-505 passes for 4,042 yards, 26 touchdowns and five interceptions during the regular season. He also had 60 carries for 355 yards and a touchdown.

Cleveland is expected to pursue a veteran quarterback as well as select a rookie high in the draft. They own the No. 1 and No. 4 overall selections.
Why would the Chiefs have interest in Keenum? Am I reading that wrong?

New World Order
01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
OH, what you've done here is very, very good.

Iowanian
01-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Arizona makes sense too.
They've got decent WRs, Fitzgerald might stay if they bring in a vet qb, Johnson would be coming back from injury....they'd have to feel that Smith was a comparable replacement for Palmer.

The Franchise
01-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Jags sign Cousins.
Browns trade for Smith.
We sign Bridgewater to back up Mahomes.

Red Dawg
01-11-2018, 04:26 PM
This would make my year.

DRM08
01-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Jags sign Cousins.
Browns trade for Smith.
We sign Bridgewater to back up Mahomes.

How much is Teddy making now? I kinda like the idea of Chase Daniel for the backup spot.

Marcellus
01-11-2018, 04:29 PM
I just don't think that Dorsey will trade for Alex Smith.You have to think that Dorsey would feel a little bit slighted by the Kansas City organization. Dorsey would also have to know how Alex Smith is going to feel about someone trading for Smith as a placeholder.

If Dorsey likes Smith and they can make a deal he will trade for him. It has nothing to do with how he left KC.

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 04:30 PM

Who knows what he is thinking, but if he felt Smith gave him the best chance to start winning asap, I doubt he'd be petty enough to not get the guy because of how it ended here

As for Smith, he has to know he only has 2-3 genuinely productive years left anyway... he would get an extension on his contract equal to the GDP of a small country, and would be a genuine hero to a win starved fanbase

If that isnt good enough for him, screw him

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 04:31 PM
OH, what you've done here is very, very good.

https://imgoat.com/uploads/bd7939d674/75084.gif (https://imgoat.com/v/75084)

jd1020
01-11-2018, 04:54 PM
I just don't see Alex Smith turning the Browns into a winning team without A LOT of other things going right in the offseason for them.

Alex came to the Chiefs to a roster that didn't match their 2012 record. We had the 5th best rushing attack in the league and while the defense did have a shit year they were near top 10 the previous years with Eric Berry coming back from his ACL and a lot of talented players that our still the core of the defense today.

The Browns have a god awful defense that has been 2nd and 3rd worst the last 2 seasons, with an average running game, and their #1 receiver is lining up in the backfield (perfect target for Alex).

Alex isn't turning that team into a winner without a fuckton of help. Sure they have the picks and money to give him that help but that's a lot to fix in one offseason.

Deberg_1990
01-11-2018, 04:57 PM
I just don't see Alex Smith turning the Browns into a winning team without A LOT of other things going right in the offseason for them.

Alex came to the Chiefs to a roster that didn't match their 2012 record. We had the 5th best rushing attack in the league and while the defense did have a shit year they were near top 10 the previous years with Eric Berry coming back from his ACL and a lot of talented players that our still the core of the defense today.

The Browns have a god awful defense that has been 2nd and 3rd worst the last 2 seasons, with an average running game, and their #1 receiver is lining up in the backfield (perfect target for Alex).

Alex isn't turning that team into a winner without a ****ton of help. Sure they have the picks and money to give him that help but that's a lot to fix in one offseason.

I think he could.....But Hue Jackson sucks.

1 win in 2 years is godawful. Some of the worst Head coaches in NFL history have gotten more wins than that in 2 years.

They have some talent there, not loaded, but more than 1 win in 2 seasons worth of talent.

Hammock Parties
Browns fans don't want him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comments/7pp381/cleveland_browns_and_alex_smith_a_closer_look/

Forget Smith, the Kirk Cousins train is full steam ahead

He looked like a browns QB already during the second half of that last game

This guy gets it. Biggest game of his life. A shot at redemption. Had already embarrassed the Patriots this year...

35 yards passing on an average Titans defense.

3 and out. Punt. Muff. Recover. 3 and out. Missed FG. Hello Browns?!

You don’t have a Tyreek Hill to catch the ball on a drag route and take it 50 yards to make A Smith look good!

RippedmyFlesh
How much is Teddy making now? I kinda like the idea of Chase Daniel for the backup spot.

Would love that.

Hoover
01-11-2018, 05:02 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comments/7pp381/cleveland_browns_and_alex_smith_a_closer_look/
Yeah signing a 29 year old Cousins means you are not drafting a qb with one of the first 4 picks in the draft.

Alex + top QB in draft > Cousins.

All. Day. Long.

The appeal of Smith is that you can win down and develop a QB for a year or two. Especially important if Hue Jackson does't stick around.

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 05:04 PM

Cousins is the best QB in the free agency No way in hell he is going to the Browns not when he could be in Den/AZ.

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 05:11 PM

Beggars wanna be choosers

Watch that town light up with joy at 8-8, and a new #1 hotshot on the bench waiting to take over

Sassy Squatch
01-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Cousins is the best QB in the free agency No way in hell he is going to the Browns not when he could be in Den/AZ.
$$$

hitchief
01-11-2018, 05:21 PM

Would not pay him a dime more than 20 mil, period. He has shown no ability to overcome anything and take his team to the top just like most say Smith hasn't. Younger but no better and would kill a team's salary cap and limit the rest of the roster.

sedated
01-11-2018, 05:26 PM
The difference between Browns fan's and Chiefs fans is astounding.

A ton of fans were pissed when the chiefs traded for Alex and got another retread.

Browns fans just want to get a few wins under their belt anyway they can.

I was curious what Browns fans really thought, and...they really DO want Smith. Although possible compensation seem to be around a single 2nd round pick.

http://thebrownsboard.com/topic/49020-alex-smith/

KC fans invading their board to warn them about Smith would seem very similar to PHI fans invading CP to warn us about Andy's flaws.

There are also hints of being pretty optimistic about Dorsey.

Sassy Squatch
01-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Would not pay him a dime more than 20 mil, period. He has shown no ability to overcome anything and take his team to the top just like most say Smith hasn't. Younger but no better and would kill a team's salary cap and limit the rest of the roster.
He's going to receive the biggest contract in history. Someone will break it next year but he'll be the guy for a while.

Spott
01-11-2018, 05:27 PM
No QB will ever succeed in Cleveland, so Smith might as well go there.

wazu
01-11-2018, 05:28 PM
I was curious what Browns fans really thought, and...they really DO want Smith. Although possible compensation seem to be around a single 2nd round pick.

http://thebrownsboard.com/topic/49020-alex-smith/

KC fans invading their board to warn them about Smith would seem very similar to PHI fans invading CP to warn us about Andy's flaws.

There are also hints of being pretty optimistic about Dorsey.

Any KC fan who does that will be found guilty of high treason and banished from the Kingdom.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
01-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Not surprised this is coming from OP

Reerun_KC
01-11-2018, 05:30 PM
This would be epic can you imagine donk fans defending Smith?
Unleash hundreds of Tigers on the mange.

Probably would be the first time in history that Chiefs and Bronco fans would unite. Dude would get crushed.

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Not surprised this is coming from OP

incoming Crybaby shitpost.

RunKC
01-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Alex would have more talent surrounding him in Cleveland than KC.

OL=Joe Thomas, Joel Bitonio, Kevin Zietler and JC Tretter.
Josh Gordon
Corey Coleman
David Njoku

You’re probably going to get Saquon Barkley too.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-11-2018, 06:54 PM
SF to KC to CLE.

At this rate, he will retire in Pile high

BryanBusby
01-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Josh Gordon
Corey Coleman
David Njoku

Do you really believe that Dorsey would ever spend a top 5 picl for a RB?

Sandy Vagina
01-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Would love to see Cleveland draft Derrius Guice, if they do sign Alex.

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 07:34 PM
KC fans invading their board to warn them about Smith...

Those guys are shit stirring assholes pumping themselves up like bargain basement Schefters saying I told you so

If the Browns wanna climb out of the gutter, while building for the future... Smith is the way to go

Cleveland hasnt done DICK in forever, .500 is not beneath them

Sandy Vagina
01-11-2018, 07:37 PM
Those guys are shit stirring assholes looking to pump themselves up like bargain basement Schefters saying I told you so

If the Browns wanna climb out of the gutter, while building for the future... Smith is the way to go

Those guys havent done DICK in forever, but now .500 is beneath them

I'd be shocked if there were not already several here that have gone to other team boards to set the stage. If not yet, they will.

Trent Green GOAT
01-11-2018, 07:37 PM

Josh Gordon
Corey Coleman
David Njoku

Ya, I don't buy that for a second. That offense was atrocious last year with "All that talent". Josh Gordon is a total stud, but Coleman and njoku aren't even close to hill and kelce. Also hunt is much better than any RB they have.

RunKC
01-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Do you really believe that Dorsey would ever spend a top 5 picl for a RB?

For Saquon Barkley? Yes

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-11-2018, 07:56 PM
It would be nice if we could deal him for a really good WR as well as a draft pick. Mahomes needs another WR. Gordon would be a sweet addition and Dorsey might be willing to part with a potential headache.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-11-2018, 07:58 PM
I think whoever trades for Alex will be giving him a 3-year extension, so if it's CLE I think they aren't drafting a QB. Which might be the right call this year...

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-11-2018, 08:08 PM
I think whoever trades for Alex will be giving him a 3-year extension, so if it's CLE I think they aren't drafting a QB. Which might be the right call this year...

Cleveland would be retarted not to draft a QB with the talent available this year while having #1 and #4 .Hell, they should draft two and skip smith.

pugsnotdrugs19
01-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Cleveland would be retarted not to draft a QB with the talent available this year while having #1 and #4 .Hell, they should draft two and skip smith.

I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't draft one, I'm just expecting that whoever trades for Smith will extend him and use him for a few years. If that's the case, and CLE plans to draft a QB early, then they aren't a logical destination for Smith.

DRM08
01-11-2018, 08:31 PM

Every one of those prospects could be a bust very easily. Cleveland needs to build up other areas and try to get a veteran QB.

Couch-Potato
01-11-2018, 08:47 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/4576/heytony-what-will-it-cost-to-trade-for-quarterback-alex-smith

Hoover
01-11-2018, 09:24 PM
Every one of those prospects could be a bust very easily. Cleveland needs to build up other areas and try to get a veteran QB.
You act as if their roster is dog $hit. Its not.

Joe Thomas - At 33 age could start to factor in however. 3rd over all pick
Kevin Zeitler - Late first round pick. Only 27
J.C. Tretter - 26 - FA center from GB
Joel Bitonio - 26 - 2nd round pick

That's a pretty good line if Thomas sticks around. And with Dorsey in town, why wouldn't he?

They need a running back.

They don't have a WR over the age of 26, plus they have Josh Gordon's rights who is 26. Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, and Sammie Coates plus David Njoku at TE could be a nice group with a decent QB.

On D you have guys like Jamie Collins, Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, and a bunch of other highly draft young defensive players.

This is not a team in need of a rebuild. It has stockpiled talent. It needs to find direction.

SAUTO
01-11-2018, 09:30 PM

Dorsey inherits all these good picks here and there and neither are good drafts

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 09:48 PM
I'd be shocked if there were not already several here that have gone to other team boards to set the stage. If not yet, they will.

As previously stated, for Smiths sake... I'd like to see him on the Jaguars, legit shot at a very deep playoff run there

But as a 'for the good of football in general' pick, Alex in Cleveland makes a ton of sense... some of them may not think they want him, but as soon as he beats a few division rivals they'll come around in a big way

Halea41
01-11-2018, 10:11 PM
1. When you have a stout running game, best tightend and elite defense (chiefs defense was top 5 for much of smith’s time here), you can game managed. Game managing means lower risky throws, thus less interceptions. In Cleveland he’ll be expected to grow far more. Good luck with that.

2. Who cares?

3. It’s easy to win when you’re on a good team.

4. He horrible in the playoffs. Not just this year, but historically. And you gotta make the playoffs first.

5. Smith has wasted some of the chiefs’ most stacked teams. The chiefs’ were in the playoffs just two years prior to smith. It was reid who turned the franchise around just like it was harbaugh who turned he niners around when smith stunk up candlestick park for six years.

6. Yes, he’s durable, unfortunately.

7. I’m so tired of hearing about how smart he is. This dude made a career on screen passes. Not much pre-snap read required for that.

8. Again, that’s assuming smith is not asked to make difficult passes, which he will. You can’t game manage on a crappy team.

9. Shows the crappy state of the QB Market.

10. Alex smith will be exposed even more in an orange helmet.

As for his deep passing stats this year, two words: tyreek. Hill.

ChiefsCountry
01-11-2018, 10:18 PM
Chiefs are a good team and Alex Smith couldn't get them over the hump. He ain't doing with the Jaguars either.

BryanBusby
01-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Chiefs are a good team and Alex Smith couldn't get them over the hump. He ain't doing with the Jaguars either.
Well we know that but other dumbasses don't, which will pay great dividends when we trade his ass.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 10:27 PM
The Browns have some really good sports writers.

Terry Pluto is pretty good. And his article is spot on. Smith has limitations that don't make him an ideal fit for the Chiefs, but he has strengths that make him an ideal fit for where Cleveland is right now.

Halea41
01-11-2018, 10:38 PM
The Browns have some really good sports writers.

Terry Pluto is pretty good. And his article is spot on. Smith has limitations that don't make him an ideal fit for the Chiefs, but he has strengths that make him an ideal fit for where Cleveland is right now.

What are his strengths that will allow him to carry the worst franchise in all of sports?

BryanBusby
01-11-2018, 10:41 PM
What are his strengths that will allow him to carry the worst franchise in all of sports?
The Browns probably have a handful of wins this year if Kizer doesn't turn the ball over at an absurd clip.

Alex at least does that decently.

Halea41
01-11-2018, 10:42 PM
I don’t think you guys understand what’s gonna happen with smith in Cleveland. He will be asked to make deep throws on a consistent basis, without Hill. He’ll be asked to make anticipation throws. He will be asked to throw receivers open, which is leading a covered receiver to a spot where he’ll be moderately open. He’ll be asked to make tight-window throws. Alex smith will be asked throw more in general, for four quarters. That’s because the browns are bad and dysfunctional. Smith does not have the ability.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 10:43 PM

The browns haven't had a stable qb since Bernie Kosar. And when I say not stable, I mean that almost every qb has been Brady Quinn bad.

The browns aren't desperate for a super bowl. They are desperate for 8-8. And with that team and their cap space, Alex can do that for them. They are in a different place than them. We need to move on. They just need stability.

Halea41
01-11-2018, 10:45 PM
The Browns probably have a handful of wins this year if Kizer doesn't turn the ball over at an absurd clip.

Alex at least does that decently.

Smih’s Interception will skyrocket when he’s asked to compensate for the 31st ranked defense in the league. No more screen passes and conservative attacks. He’ll be asked to sling it, especially in hue’s system.

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 10:45 PM

Consistently avoiding the back breaking ****up would be a good start for you guys

Throw in a revamped defense, and you clowns just might surprise a few teams... what have you got to lose? You can keep crying about not having the next Johnny U, or you can start getting your club used to winning some games, while developing your next Big Thing

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 10:46 PM
I don’t think you guys understand what’s gonna happen with smith in Cleveland. He will be asked to make deep throws on a consistent basis, without Hill. He’ll be asked to make anticipation throws. He will be asked to throw receivers open, which is leading a covered receiver to a spot where he’ll be moderately open. He’ll be asked to make tight-window throws. Alex smith will be asked throw more in general, for four quarters. That’s because the browns are bad and dysfunctional. Smith does not have the ability.

Alex will go back to being a game manager. He will have a good Gregg Williams defense and if they draft Barkley could have an outstanding running game. I always thought a big strength of his is that he does make bad teams look average. His supporting cast in 2013 and 2014 weren't great. That's what the browns need. The things you're talking about are things that take a team from average to great. I agree, but thats not what the browns are looking for.

BryanBusby
01-11-2018, 10:46 PM
Smih’s Interception will skyrocket when he’s asked to compensate for the 31st ranked defense in the league. No more screen passes and conservative attacks. He’ll be asked to sling it, especially in hue’s system.
He was already playing for a bottom range ranked D.

Halea41
01-11-2018, 10:47 PM
We’ve seen Alex smith on a bad team, it’s called the 2004-2010 49ers.

BryanBusby
01-11-2018, 10:49 PM
The Browns aren't that bad of a team. They mostly suffer from dog shit QB play.

The last time they had decent play, they went 10-6.

Halea41
01-11-2018, 10:52 PM
He was already playing for a bottom range ranked D.

Chiefs’ defense ranks 15, with 21 ppg. And defense’s stats are marred by three games: patriots, Texans and raiders. They were actually pretty good.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 10:53 PM

At minimum especially with a ton of money in the offseason, I can't imagine the team being much worse than what we had in 2013 and 2014. Agreed. Browns aren't terrible. Excellent defensive coordinator, very good offensive line, some good weapons in the running and passing game. I don't see why they couldn't put up a 6-8 win season with Alex Smith as their qb, even if they make minimal changes.

Halea41
01-11-2018, 10:54 PM
10 games, the chiefs’ defense gave up 20 points or less.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 11:01 PM
10 games, the chiefs’ defense gave up 20 points or less.

The browns don't need him to win the division or win 10 games. I don't want Smith on the Chiefs next year. Believe me, this is not a defense of Alex Smith. He is not as good as his apologists want him to be, and he's certainly not as bad as his critics want him to be. If the mark is to get the browns 6-8 games, which browns fans would do cartwheels over, he is more than capable of doing that. If I was the jags or the bills, would I be excited about him? I wouldn't be.

BryanBusby
01-11-2018, 11:07 PM
The Browns D will improve a lot once they realize Peppers sucks dick as a Defender and convert him to Returner/RB.

Replace him with Fitzpatrick with the #4 pick, draft some better linebackers and suddenly they will be in business.

Peppers is one of the worst first round defenders I've seen on tape in awhile.

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 11:10 PM

This

The talent is already there to be better than they are, you need better coaching and a new field general... we're seriously rooting for you, Cleveland

Quit waiting for Montana, and embrace a solid winner while things unfold

Chiefs fans have been there, we're with you... patience

TigeRRUppeRRcut
01-11-2018, 11:22 PM
Bugsby is right...they could have been a 8 win team if Mariota was their QB. That defense needs a purpose to play. Plus, Josh Gordon didn't come back until the end of the season.

They have an absurd amount of money and draft picks to use these next couple of years. It's pretty much a General Manager's dream.

Veach vs. Dorsey -- If you give Smith to Dorsey and they miraculously win 9 games and tie or beat out the Chiefs in wins imagine how dumb that makes us look.

oaklandhater
01-11-2018, 11:24 PM
Bugsby is right...they could have been a 8 win team if Mariota was their QB. That defense needs a purpose to play. Plus, Josh Gordon didn't come back until the end of the season.

They have an absurd amount of money and draft picks to use these next couple of years. It's pretty much a General Manager's dream.

Veach vs. Dorsey -- If you give Smith to Dorsey and they miraculously win 9 games and tie or beat out the Chiefs in wins imagine how dumb that makes us look.

We could go 0-16 with mahomes and I would still love the trade.

Smith has proven he will never get it done over and over.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
01-11-2018, 11:27 PM
He will have a good Gregg Williams defense and if they draft Barkley could have an outstanding running game.

I don't understand this hiring by Dorsey tbh. He hasn't been able to do much these last few years after serving his punishment then being discarded with Jeff Fisher off the Rams

TigeRRUppeRRcut
01-11-2018, 11:28 PM
We could go 0-16 with mahomes and I would still love the trade.

Smith has proven he will never get it done over and over.

And Romo. And Stafford. And Cutler. And Dalton. List goes on.

Defense. Wins. Championships.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 11:29 PM
I don't understand this hiring by Dorsey tbh. He hasn't been able to do much these last few years after serving his punishment then being discarded with Jeff Fisher off the Rams

He wasn't hired by Dorsey. He built a good D in STL. They were held back by the usual Jeff fisher shitshow of an offense.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2018, 11:35 PM

That's ridiculous that it would make us look dumb. I don't have any expectations mahomes will be winning 14 games next year. The Chiefs will hopefully get a good pick, they'll save $17m, and I would hope invest that in finding good defensive players for a new scheme.

I don't care about winning 9 or 10 or even 14. Alex has shown to have a high floor, but the ceiling is low. I'd rather die shooting for the ceiling than layup and lie down on the floor.

Easy 6
01-11-2018, 11:36 PM

Bugsby ROFL it actually kinda fits him

Titty Meat
01-12-2018, 01:04 AM
Don't think Cleveland would give a first for him but Jacksonville is the best spot and I think they'd give us their first

oaklandhater
01-12-2018, 04:17 AM
Don't think Cleveland would give a first for him but Jacksonville is the best spot and I think they'd give us their first

Ian Rapoport on whether the Chiefs will do better than the two seconds they traded for Alex Smith, "I think they might do better this time".

Looking like a 1st round pick for smith would be insane.

Mile High Mania
01-12-2018, 06:23 AM
You act as if their roster is dog $hit. Its not.

Joe Thomas - At 33 age could start to factor in however. 3rd over all pick
Kevin Zeitler - Late first round pick. Only 27
J.C. Tretter - 26 - FA center from GB
Joel Bitonio - 26 - 2nd round pick

That's a pretty good line if Thomas sticks around. And with Dorsey in town, why wouldn't he?

They need a running back.

They don't have a WR over the age of 26, plus they have Josh Gordon's rights who is 26. Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, and Sammie Coates plus David Njoku at TE could be a nice group with a decent QB.

On D you have guys like Jamie Collins, Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, and a bunch of other highly draft young defensive players.

This is not a team in need of a rebuild. It has stockpiled talent. It needs to find direction.

Alex could give them stability for 3 years... spend a top pick on the PENN ST RB and maybe trade down and pick up a few extra with the other Top 5 pick. Use all those picks on talent, let Alex and Barkely lead the offense.

They could do a lot worse...

PAChiefsGuy
01-12-2018, 06:43 AM
Good article. Just as I suspected everything is Smitty's fault. Hope he burns in hell for all of eternity.

DRM08
01-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Alex could give them stability for 3 years... spend a top pick on the PENN ST RB and maybe trade down and pick up a few extra with the other Top 5 pick. Use all those picks on talent, let Alex and Barkely lead the offense.

They could do a lot worse...

Yep, Alex is exactly what a team like Cleveland needs. Every draft pick is a risk, but QB’s at the very top of the draft are a huge risk. They need to build a solid roster and get a very good veteran QB like Alex.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
01-12-2018, 07:25 AM

Who cares, as long as he's not in a chiefs uniform next year!

Hammock Parties
01-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Good article. Just as I suspected everything is Smitty's fault. Hope he burns in hell for all of eternity.

You've come around nicely....loving the new av. :D

Trent Green GOAT
01-12-2018, 09:28 PM
And Romo. And Stafford. And Cutler. And Dalton. List goes on.

Defense. Wins. Championships.

Good idea, we need to trade smith for some defensive talent.

Reerun_KC
01-12-2018, 10:08 PM

Best post ever.

Spott
01-13-2018, 10:00 AM

No doubt. We can only hope that his roommate in hell is a 300 pound gorilla that enjoys sodomy.

oaklandhater
01-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Alex Smith in a Browns jersey? Reunion with John Dorsey could be a good fit

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/265791/alex-smith-provides-veteran-option-for-browns-at-quarterback

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/01/13/browns-considered-favorites-trade-kc-quarterback-alex-smith/

Alex Smith can be the answer at quarterback for the Browns

2 more Alex smith to the Browns articles

https://imgoat.com/uploads/bd7939d674/75524.gif (https://imgoat.com/v/75524)

MahiMike
01-13-2018, 04:51 PM
He's awesome! You guys should def'y get him.

thegame214
01-13-2018, 04:56 PM
http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0112%2Falex_smith_16x9.jpg&w=750&cquality=40

Hammock Parties
01-13-2018, 04:59 PM
LMAO

Look at those dead eyes.

NJChiefsFan
01-13-2018, 05:02 PM

It's hard to take these posts seriously from you considering how you manipulate at times. Who knows what posts in favor of Smith coming to CLE you skipped over. Also, are 3 random posts from Browns fans really a relevant sample size?

Why would the Chiefs have interest in Keenum? Am I reading that wrong?

Yeah that was worded poorly. You could even read that as them saying we are interested in Cousins. Both would be false.

NJChiefsFan
01-13-2018, 05:11 PM
That's ridiculous that it would make us look dumb. I don't have any expectations mahomes will be winning 14 games next year. The Chiefs will hopefully get a good pick, they'll save $17m, and I would hope invest that in finding good defensive players for a new scheme.

I don't care about winning 9 or 10 or even 14. Alex has shown to have a high floor, but the ceiling is low. I'd rather die shooting for the ceiling than layup and lie down on the floor.

Using 1 year to judge a move to Mahomes is what he will depend on. It's not an honest assessment.

Sassy Squatch
01-13-2018, 05:14 PM
So if the offer is a mid-late first or the 2 lower second rounders from Cleveland which do you prefer?

KChiefs1
01-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Alex Smith in a Browns jersey? Reunion with John Dorsey could be a good fit

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/265791/alex-smith-provides-veteran-option-for-browns-at-quarterback

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/01/13/browns-considered-favorites-trade-kc-quarterback-alex-smith/

Alex Smith can be the answer at quarterback for the Browns

2 more Alex smith to the Browns articles

https://imgoat.com/uploads/bd7939d674/75524.gif (https://imgoat.com/v/75524)

Love it.

DRM08
01-13-2018, 05:24 PM
So if the offer is a mid-late first or the 2 lower second rounders from Cleveland which do you prefer?

I prefer 2 picks. Better odds of landing a legit player out of the deal.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2018, 05:47 PM
Also, are 3 random posts from Browns fans really a relevant sample size?

Yes.

The fact there's even ONE Browns fan who doesn't want him is hilarious.

BryanBusby
01-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Sure the Browns suck, but they aren't Chiefs fans that are content with total mediocrity.

Easy 6
01-13-2018, 05:55 PM
Sure the Browns suck, but they aren't Chiefs fans that are content with total mediocrity.

Browns fans holding out for better than Smith are like Cousin Eddie holding out for a management position

Maybe try winning more than 1 in 32 games before getting too ****ing picky

Their team needs an enema, and Smith is the perfect douche

BryanBusby
01-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Alex is what they need, but I can't blame them for dreaming big.

King_Chief_Fan
01-13-2018, 06:27 PM
Smith will not be traded as others know that he can be had for nothing as Chiefs will be forced to cut him if no one deals for him

Broncos pick him up and twice a year Smitty tears up the worthless d the Chiefs have
Because Chiefs

Easy 6
01-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Smith will not be traded as others know that he can be had for nothing as Chiefs will be forced to cut him if no one deals for him

That sentiment has been going around quite a bit, but the truth is... we dont HAVE to let him go, he COULD just take a spot on the bench behind Mahomes

It would be an unusual situation to say the least, but the Chiefs do not have to simply cut him loose... and they shouldnt, SOMEONE will eventually cough up SOMETHING

Alex has genuine value, particularly these days

King_Chief_Fan
01-13-2018, 06:37 PM
That sentiment has been going around quite a bit, but the truth is... we dont HAVE to let him go, he COULD just take a spot on the bench behind Mahomes

It would be an unusual situation to say the least, but the Chiefs do not have to simply cut him loose... and they shouldnt, SOMEONE will eventually cough up SOMETHING
Sounds right....lets hope something is worth something!

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2018, 07:35 PM

I know plenty of browns fans. They know exactly what alex Smith is. They are excited to get him because they are tired of the season being over by week 2. They arent content with mediocrity. They're good fans. But you cannot torture that fan base with another bottom 5 season.
They know Alex Smith is a quick and mediocre fix.

Best22
01-13-2018, 07:48 PM

ROFL

Browns fans would kill to go 9-7 and one and done in the playoffs

And I don't blame 'em

There once was a time where Patriot fans wished for the same

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2018, 08:24 PM

Broncos pick him up and twice a year Smitty tears up the worthless d the Chiefs have
Because Chiefs

He is still under contract for 2018. And if one team decides they're going to lay on the brakes, another team will swoop in. If the Chiefs want to trade him, they can.