PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So why do they want pm2 to be under center

big nasty kcnut
01-12-2018, 05:13 PM
I think he should be in shotgun if it make him feel comfortable. Plus able to move around the pocket better.

BigRedChief
01-12-2018, 05:16 PM
I think he should be in shotgun if it make him feel comfortable. Plus able to move around the pocket better.Dude, you have to show different looks to defenses.

Pitt Gorilla
01-12-2018, 05:16 PM
He can already do both. It’s literally not going to matter.

In58men
01-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Dude, you have to show different looks to defenses.

Wasn’t there some “stat” out there that stated Steve Young & Montana took every snap under center? Just saying

hitchief
01-12-2018, 05:22 PM
He can do anything so don't sweat it.

He's a gunslinger so don't need to fool the D with play action.

Playoffs baby and Arrowhead victory for the fans to boot.

Bewbies
01-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Wasn’t there some “stat” out there that stated Steve Young & Montana took every snap under center? Just saying

Is PM2 playing in the 80’s or 90’s? Can we bring Derrick Thomas back while we’re at it?

Toad
01-12-2018, 05:24 PM
In general, under center gives appearance of either run or pass. Linebackers typically plays the run first, then drops back in coverage.

In shotgun, it's much easier for a linebacker to defend, because there is more time for the running back to reach the line of scrimmage if its is a run.

In58men
01-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Is PM2 playing in the 80’s or 90’s? Can we bring Derrick Thomas back while we’re at it?

Like I said cock boy, “just saying”.

There’s other members out there who enjoy fun facts.

jaa1025
01-12-2018, 05:42 PM
This is very overblown.

The Chiefs ran out of the shotgun 72% of the time last year and had the #5 offense in the NFL.

Pittsburgh ran their offense out of shotgun 71% of the time and finished with the #3 offense this year.

Chargers were at 66% in shotgun and finished #4 offensively in the NFL.

Philly was at 71% in shotgun and finished #7 offensively in the NFL.

Only 11 teams ran under center 50% of the time or greater. Most teams ran out of shotgun more than they did under center.

OKchiefs
01-12-2018, 05:48 PM
This is very overblown.

The Chiefs ran out of the shotgun 72% of the time last year and had the #5 offense in the NFL.

Pittsburgh ran their offense out of shotgun 71% of the time and finished with the #3 offense this year.

Chargers were at 66% in shotgun and finished #4 offensively in the NFL.

Philly was at 71% in shotgun and finished #7 offensively in the NFL.

Only 11 teams ran under center 50% of the time or greater. Most teams ran out of shotgun more than they did under center.

Running from under center still needs to be an option, particularly in short yardage and goalline situations. Unless you want to let the defense know you're going to run when under center every time you have to be able to pass from under center.

Sandy Vagina
01-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Under center sells play-action better, and with such a good RB and deep threats at TE and WR1? the Chiefs should run a ton of PA snaps.

Coogs
Running from under center still needs to be an option, particularly in short yardage and goalline situations. Unless you want to let the defense know you're going to run when under center every time you have to be able to pass from under center.

You mean like he did in Denver a few times?

jaa1025

Running from shotgun gives you Run Pass Option which the Chiefs love to run. It also opens up things for a QB. Running from center is and always will be an option. Mahomes has shown that he can run plays from under center. It's a complete non issue.

OKchiefs
01-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Running from shotgun gives you Run Pass Option which the Chiefs love to run. It also opens up things for a QB. Running from center is and always will be an option. Mahomes has shown that he can run plays from under center. It's a complete non issue.

I don't see how you can say it's a non issue. Nobody said he has to run a majority of plays from center, but it's still something that has to be an option in any offense. There's a reason no NFL team runs exclusively out of the shotgun.

Without the threat of a pass play from under center defenders will always key on the run when under center.

It's still something to monitor. I'm sure Mahomes will pick it up fine, but it's a false assumption to just say it's not an issue and not to worry about it. I can almost guarantee it's been an emphasis in practice since he's been here. Even if he operates out of the shotgun the majority of the time, plays from under center are still going to be a part of the playbook and something he has to learn.

ARROW2
01-12-2018, 06:06 PM
I heard that we ran 3 plays from under center saturday

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Coaches don’t like to get fired. If they get fired, they want it to be due to the limitations of their own ability to coach, not due to quarterback’s inability to play the coach’s best game.

jaa1025
01-12-2018, 06:20 PM
I don't see how you can say it's a non issue. Nobody said he has to run a majority of plays from center, but it's still something that has to be an option in any offense. There's a reason no NFL team runs exclusively out of the shotgun.

Without the threat of a pass play from under center defenders will always key on the run when under center.

It's still something to monitor. I'm sure Mahomes will pick it up fine, but it's a false assumption to just say it's not an issue and not to worry about it. I can almost guarantee it's been an emphasis in practice since he's been here. Even if he operates out of the shotgun the majority of the time, plays from under center are still going to be a part of the playbook and something he has to learn.

It's a non issue because he has shown that he can do that without issue.

OKchiefs
01-12-2018, 06:24 PM
It's a non issue because he has shown that he can do that without issue.

I'm as big a fan of Mahomes as anyone, but he hasn't proven anything yet. He's still raw. I'm confident he can do it, but it hasn't been proven yet. 1 game doesn't prove anything.

jaa1025
01-12-2018, 06:34 PM
I'm as big a fan of Mahomes as anyone, but he hasn't proven anything yet. He's still raw. I'm confident he can do it, but it hasn't been proven yet. 1 game doesn't prove anything.

1 Game proves that mechanically, he can do it.

Chief Roundup
01-12-2018, 06:53 PM
The ability to disguise play action and other schemes that you can not do from the shotgun. I am sure he will be in shotgun some like most QBs.

Pitt Gorilla
01-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Jesus Murphy, he can do it. He could do it after a week in camp. It is NOT difficult to pick up. People are saying it is overblown because it is by definition.

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2018, 06:57 PM

It's not a non-factor, but it's way less important than it used to be.

3/4 of plays are run out of shotgun. The majority of those plays are pass plays. The majority of plays under center are run plays, as in something like 80%.

So most of the reason you need to be able to do it is to catch the defense off-guard a very small % of the time. In which case the defense is off balance anyway. Obviously an oversimplification. But Mahomes needs to only be proficient at it.

Garcia Bronco
01-12-2018, 06:57 PM
I think he should be in shotgun if it make him feel comfortable. Plus able to move around the pocket better.

1...your run game goes to shit
2...you'll still run from under center because football
3...Now you tipoff when you are definitely running
4...You have to be able to play under center to be a real NFL QB.

jaa1025
01-12-2018, 07:06 PM
4...You have to be able to play under center to be a real NFL QB.

Really? Running game goes to shit? The NFL's leading rusher played in an offense that ran 72% of their offensive plays out of shotgun. Bell seems to do well out of it Pittsburgh, who ran 72% of their plays out of shotgun.

Future HOF QB Ben Roethlisberger says hello. Carson Wentz, likely NFL MVP if not injured, says hello (71%), Future HOF QB Aaron Rodgers says hello (75%16 since he was injured for a lot of 2017)...yeah, but not real QBs. SMH

RustShack
01-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Or he can practice under center and get comfortable there too? It’s the NFL. The Pros. You should be able to play a Pro style offense.

Who cares if he’s in the shotgun 80% of the time. You’re more successful on the goal line and short yardage when you’re under center.

Learning how to line up under center makes him better, it doesn’t hurt him. He won’t forget how to take a shotgun snap.

carcosa
01-12-2018, 07:19 PM
He can already do both. It’s literally not going to matter.

Thanks be to you!

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Really? Running game goes to shit? The NFL's leading rusher played in an offense that ran 72% of their offensive plays out of shotgun. Bell seems to do well out of it Pittsburgh, who ran 72% of their plays out of shotgun.

Future HOF QB Ben Roethlisberger says hello. Carson Wentz, likely NFL MVP if not injured, says hello (71%), Future HOF QB Aaron Rodgers says hello (75%16 since he was injured for a lot of 2017)...yeah, but not real QBs. SMH

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/8/16/12496756/dak-prescott-took-more-snaps-under-center-than-you-may-have-thought-in-cowboys-game
Includes a nice chart of 2015 shotgun numbers. Tons of QBs well over 80% in the shotgun.

jaa1025
01-12-2018, 07:34 PM
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/8/16/12496756/dak-prescott-took-more-snaps-under-center-than-you-may-have-thought-in-cowboys-game
Includes a nice chart of 2015 shotgun numbers. Tons of QBs well over 80% in the shotgun.

Last two years.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-rates--shotgun-v-under-center--off-.html

Best22
01-12-2018, 07:36 PM
This is an area where I am somewhat ignorant. What is Mahomes doing wrong when under center? He looked fine in the highlights I saw of him. Maybe he's not as fast backpedalling as Smith, but let's face it Smith is simply the faster quarterback.

Can anyone enlighten me into what Pat is doing wrong when he takes snaps from under center?

KranzDictum
01-12-2018, 07:40 PM
I think pmINT is a better nickname than implying he is the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning.

Best22
01-12-2018, 07:44 PM
I think pmINT is a better nickname than implying he is the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning.

Manning threw 28 picks his first year.

It's not an appropriate comparison. Mannings arm was a wet noodle compared to Mahomes. He was a great regular season quarterback but his offenses got shut down all the time in the playoffs.

Reminds me of 2017 Alex Smith

Sandy Vagina
01-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Stop thinking, then.

You nor anyone else knows wtf Mahomie will become. No one will know after one full season of games either. Long way to go.

For me, He shall be called Saint Patrick... and when he ****s up? Mahomo. :shrug:

Pitt Gorilla
01-12-2018, 08:52 PM
4...You have to be able to play under center to be a real NFL QB.Literally nobody believes you are actually this stupid.

jaa1025
01-12-2018, 09:13 PM
This is an area where I am somewhat ignorant. What is Mahomes doing wrong when under center? He looked fine in the highlights I saw of him. Maybe he's not as fast backpedalling as Smith, but let's face it Smith is simply the faster quarterback.

Can anyone enlighten me into what Pat is doing wrong when he takes snaps from under center?

He was fine under center that's why I said it is a non issue.

DRM08
01-12-2018, 09:26 PM

His name is Patrick Mahomes II. Peyton doesn't have squat to do with the nickname.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Mahomes

WhiteWhale
01-13-2018, 12:29 AM

Well, Montana HATED playing in the Shotgun. He wouldn't do it.

It's a different era now. QB's are in the shotgun all the time now. It's almost more common than being under center. It might be MORE common at this stage.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-13-2018, 12:41 AM
Sometimes a whiff of the taco bell biffs can be intoxicating

alanm
01-13-2018, 01:38 AM
4...You have to be able to play under center to be a real NFL QB.You may as well beat your head against the wall with some of these guys.

RealSNR
01-13-2018, 12:58 PM
We need PM2 to take snaps from under center so he can perfect the QB kneel at the end of games

MatriculatingHank
01-13-2018, 02:14 PM
I want to see Mahomes in a choir huddle like Dawson. . I want him to walk up to the line up scrimmage... Look from side to side... Reach down and flip up the towel that is hanging down from the center's waist band. Then the RBs and split end should shift in formation.

THAT would be AWESOME!!!

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/videos/2157889318001_4492847462001_len-dawson-tbt.jpg?itok=Q9SBEEip

King_Chief_Fan
01-13-2018, 06:29 PM

:eek: that is a real question? :shake:

pugsnotdrugs19
01-13-2018, 06:32 PM
Of course Krantzdickum isn't smart enough to realize PM is Patrick's own initials...

:facepalm: