View Full Version : Football What Rules Would You Change?

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 03:14 PM
If you were on the rules committee, what rules would you consider changing to improve the game?

Here's my list:

1) OPI or DPI is a 10 yard penalty from where the ball is snapped. No automatic first down, no spot fouls.

2) Concussion Protocol: If refs determine you target and hit a guy in the head, and he is removed from the game for concussion protocol, it's a 15 yard penalty, plus the player who commits the target is disqualified for as long as the targeted player is out. For example, if he misses the rest of the game, the guy who laid the hit is out for the game. If he's out two weeks, they guy who hit him is out two weeks, etc. Plus a game check is forfeited by the hitter for that game, and every game the targeted player is out.

3) Illegal contact. Five yard penalty, but no automatic first down.

4) Two personal fouls in one game, ejection, loss of paycheck from that game, suspension and loss of paycheck for the next game. This would include the playoffs.

5) Extra point moved from the 15 to the 25 yard line. If you want to go for two, ball is placed at the five yard line.

All paychecks that are lost: funds go to CTE Research.

How about you? What would you change?

displacedinMN
01-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Clarify the catch rule. What is a catch?
If the ground cannot cause a fumble, maybe it should not on a catch too.

The Franchise
01-23-2018, 03:17 PM
#1 wouldn't work. 3rd and 20 and you're getting burnt for a TD? Commit DPI and just take the 10 yards.

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 03:18 PM
#1 wouldn't work. 3rd and 20 and you're getting burnt for a TD? Commit DPI and just take the 10 yards.

Or, third and twenty chuck the ball forty yards down field and get a DPI on Phillip Gaines. It's not working the way it is now, that's for sure.

hometeam
01-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Or, third and twenty chuck the ball forty yards down field and get a DPI on Phillip Gaines. It's not working the way it is now, that's for sure.

Other way will be worse. Will be DPI every other pass. Teams will end up doing the dink and dunk to try and get blockers ahead and get YAC instead of getting there 30-40 yard throws turned into 10 every time.

Those deep balls we love? Yea gone.

Rasputin
01-23-2018, 03:21 PM
I'd change the rules that the refs can't intentionally call games in favor of one team to "fix" the outcome of games.

ptlyon
01-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Make it so you can review every call. If a player fumbles but was "marked down", if the review is ruled a fumble, then it's a God Damn fumble.

That and if a call gets reversed due to a review, a player of the teams choosing that almost got screwed over gets one penalty kick in the nuts on an official of their choosing.

Fansy the Famous Bard
01-23-2018, 03:25 PM
I would change the rule that says we cannot murder a referee after blatantly fucking your team. I'm looking at you, Jeff.

BlackHelicopters
01-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Id run the Mafia out of the game.

In58men
01-23-2018, 03:27 PM

You must not watch a lot of football. It’s time the fans to start paying more attention. I knew right away Jesse James didn’t catch that pass. It’s pretty clear if you ask me.

Clyde Frog
01-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Referees are graded throughout the season. Anything below a certain threshold disqualifies them from officiating in the playoffs and back-to-back seasons under the specified threshold disqualifies from being officials. Also, fuck Tripplette.

MVChiefFan
01-23-2018, 03:28 PM
I'd change the rules that the refs can't intentionally call games in favor of one team to "fix" the outcome of games.

That would never work. It leaves it too much to chance. Come on man, it shouldn’t matter if a team plays better on that particular day. :D

ChiefGator
01-23-2018, 03:32 PM
2) Concussion Protocol: If refs determine you target and hit a guy in the head, and he is removed from the game for concussion protocol, it's a 15 yard penalty, plus the player who commits the target is disqualified for as long as the targeted player is out. For example, if he misses the rest of the game, the guy who laid the hit is out for the game. If he's out two weeks, they guy who hit him is out two weeks, etc. Plus a game check is forfeited by the hitter for that game, and every game the targeted player is out.

4) Two personal fouls in one game, ejection, loss of paycheck from that game, suspension and loss of paycheck for the next game. This would include the playoffs.

All paychecks that are lost: funds to to CTE Research.

I like all those ideas... #2 is interesting. What if they player had a career ending concussion?

DPI is messed up right now... but, I don't think 10 yards is the answer.

Dartgod
01-23-2018, 03:33 PM
I never understood the intentional grounding rule.

Between the tackles, it's illegal to just launch the ball OB, but it's ok if you are outside the tackle box and the pass makes it back the line of scrimmage. Bull shit.

IMO, the rule should be that any pass that is not in the general area of an eligible receiver is grounding. Period.

KC Dan
01-23-2018, 03:34 PM

Between the tackles, it's illegal to just launch the ball OB, but it's ok if you are outside the tackle box and the pass makes it back the line of scrimmage. Bull shit

IMO, the rule should be that any pass that is not in the general area of an eligible receiver is grounding.
This! I hate that bullcrap. Russel Wilson gets away with one or two of these every game.

Dartgod
01-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Oh, here's another one. Illegal hands to the face. Why is it legal for a ball carrier to push a defender away by stiff arming him in the face mask?

Offensive linemen can't do that to a defender and vice versa.

RunKC
01-23-2018, 03:41 PM
Holding should only be a 5 yard penalty. The current 10 yard rule ruins drives for most offenses.

DaFace
01-23-2018, 03:42 PM
The time allowed for an instant replay of any sort is 30 seconds, and all replays will be shown at full speed. None of this "did the ball move a millimeter when he hit the ground" bullshit.

displacedinMN
01-23-2018, 03:44 PM
all plays reviewed from a booth? ala Big 10?

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 03:45 PM
Other way will be worse. Will be DPI every other pass. Teams will end up doing the dink and dunk to try and get blockers ahead and get YAC instead of getting there 30-40 yard throws turned into 10 every time.

Those deep balls we love? Yea gone.

I suppose I can see both sides. Just seems like we get victimized by this more than most teams.

Chief Roundup
01-23-2018, 03:45 PM
The time allowed for an instant replay of any sort is 30 seconds, and all replays will be shown at full speed. None of this "did the ball move a millimeter when he hit the ground" bullshit.That is like saying you want to get rid of instant replay.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

The Franchise
01-23-2018, 03:46 PM
Oh, here's another one. Illegal hands to the face. Why is it legal for a ball carrier to push a defender away by stiff arming him in the face mask?

Offensive linemen can't do that to a defender and vice versa.

Holding should only be a 5 yard penalty. The current 10 yard rule ruins drives for most offenses.

Those.

The Franchise
01-23-2018, 03:46 PM
The time allowed for an instant replay of any sort is 30 seconds, and all replays will be shown at full speed. None of this "did the ball move a millimeter when he hit the ground" bullshit.

I'm going to go the opposite.

I want to hear his explanation and I want a god damn picture of what the fuck they're talking about. The ball moved? Then you'd better be able to show me where and when. Not just say that it was overturned and then not give me a reason.

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 03:47 PM
All players will be mic'ed up. If taunting is called, it will be reviewed by the "TJ" the "taunting judge" in the booth. If the taunting is epic and cuts to the quick, then it will be allowed. If its lame, 15 yards will be enforced and the player must not remove his mouth guard for the duration of the game.

The Franchise
01-23-2018, 03:48 PM
All players will be mic'ed up. If taunting is called, it will be reviewed by the "TJ" the "taunting judge" in the booth. If the taunting is epic and cuts to the quick, then it will be allowed. If its lame, 15 yards will be enforced and the player must not remove his mouth guard for the duration of the game.

They can just get rid of taunting all together. Are these grown men or 2nd graders? I can understand derogatory terms not being allowed but fucking pointing at someone is fucking bullshit.

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 03:50 PM
If taunting is used on the field, it must only be lifted from Monty Python's Holy Grail movie. Otherwise, it's a 15 yard penalty.

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Oh, and that picture is the on field hand signal the ref's must use to signify "Personal Foul: Taunting."

notorious
01-23-2018, 03:56 PM
The rules are fine.

They way they are called is garbage.

Get rid of the holding call, but force olinemen to wear mittens. It is the single most abused part of the game that isn’t even close to being called even.

Chief Pagan
01-23-2018, 03:58 PM
2) Concussion Protocol: If refs determine you target and hit a guy in the head, and he is removed from the game for concussion protocol, it's a 15 yard penalty, plus the player who commits the target is disqualified for as long as the targeted player is out.

I think the refs/NFL are too reluctant to eject players. I would add a rule that for an egregious personal foul, the ref can eject a player for say 15 minutes of game time. During that period, the NFL office reviews the situation and decides whether the player can return to the game after the 15 minute rule.

I'm ok with the player that caused a concussion (on an illegal hit) having to sit out. It still is not perfect. Most teams would trade losing a safety of linebacker to get Gronk out of the game.

tooge
01-23-2018, 04:02 PM

And it should always be a spot foul.

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 04:02 PM
The rules are fine.

They way they are called is garbage.

Get rid of the holding call, but force olinemen to wear mittens. It is the single most abused part of the game that isn’t even close to being called even.

I tried to get Todd Haley to wear mittens. He refused.

Chief Pagan
01-23-2018, 04:03 PM
1) OPI or DPI is a 10 yard penalty from where the ball is snapped. No automatic first down, no spot fouls.

I still think that there should be two versions. If the DB very clearly interferes and it is likely the receiver could have made the catch, spot foul. When the interference is murkier and/or the catchability is murkier, make it 5 yard foul and no automatic first down.

I think other fouls should also have two versions. There are too many 15 yard roughing the passer fouls. For the less serious ones, hand accidentally hits the QB's helmet, I would allow the refs to call a 5 yard version that does not have an automatic first down.

DaFace
01-23-2018, 04:03 PM
That is like saying you want to get rid of instant replay.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

Can you confidently say that instant replay has improved the game? I sure can't.

Chief Pagan
01-23-2018, 04:06 PM
I would get rid of the fumble into the endzone is a touchback. I think it would be better to let the offense keep it where the fumble occurred. Alternately, a buddy of mine suggested that if fumbing into the endzone is a turnover, fumbling out of bounds should also be a turnover. So if the offense loses the ball and it goes out of bounds with no one controlling it, it is a turnover. I'm not sure if I would like it, but it did make me think a bit.

Chief Pagan
01-23-2018, 04:09 PM
Under 2 minutes in each half, I would have the clock stop until the ref has set the ball and gotten out of the way. I don't think the game should depend on how quickly some grey haired dude can pick the ball up, run over and set it, and then get out of the way.

Chief Pagan
01-23-2018, 04:14 PM
5) Extra point moved from the 15 to the 25 yard line. If you want to go for two, ball is placed at the five yard line.

Just get rid of the extra point kick. When a TD is scored, it is 7 points. Go to commercial break while the TD is reviewed, and unless it is not a TD or the teams wants to go for 2, the kickoff happens as soon as commercial break is over.

Team can alternately take the 6 points and go for 2.

Discuss Thrower
01-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Penalties against an offense that currently result in a half the distance to the goal administration is instead administered by adding 5 yards to the line to gain.

"Pulling him to the ground" as is currently spelled out in the definition of holding can only trigger a holding penalty if the player is not on his own two feet or in the process of going to ground as a consequence of any legal block he may have carried out.

Defensive holding administered on passing play if a defender makes contact with an eligible receiver more than five yards past the line of scrimmage if a legal forward pass is attempted and that legal forward pass is thrown in the area between the center of the goal post and nearest sideline in which the foul is committed.

Defensive pass interference can be called if :

a) an eligible receiver's arms are grasped and impeded from being moved from outside the frame of his own torso when a legal forward pass is thrown in an area where it is assumed he could have made a fair move toward the ball had he not been clearly grasped by the defender and the defensive player does not make contact with the ball before touching the receiver.

b) an eligible receiver is driven to the ground by the arms, shoulders or upper body of a defender if both players are more than five yards past the line of scrimmage and a legal forward pass is thrown to the area between the center of the goal post and the nearest sideline in which the foul is committed

c) [insert anything that is palpably obvious fuckery by a defensive player]

RealSNR
01-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Make calls like DPI challengable. It's too big of a call to just let the ref go, "Well, I THINK I saw something."

Frazod
01-23-2018, 04:48 PM
All plays should be reviewable. And there should be an official watching on TV just like all of us who see the uncalled shit that can call it.

Also, referees should be held accountable for horrible calls, and actually FIRED if they go full Tripplette.

Of course none of that will ever happen, because obviously if the Patriots continue to win all is well. :whackit:

Frosty
01-23-2018, 05:01 PM
I would eliminate the practice squad, expand the roster to 65 and get rid of the stupid, outdated inactive rule. It would allow a team to play and develop fringe players in the event of a blowout and would allow an adequate number of backups.

Also, I would keep DPI a spot foul but make it automatically reviewed by an independent judge. Same with targeting or unnecessary roughness penalties.

They also need to add more cameras. There is no excuse in this day and age to not have an adequate view on a review, especially goal line or sideline.

chiefzilla1501
01-23-2018, 05:13 PM
#1 - De-emphasize any rule that barely affects the game. As in, practically eliminate them. Taunting, excessive celebration, unsportsmanlike conduct that doesn't involve fighting or delay. Take the subjective bullshit out of this sport.

#2 - I'm with you on OPI/Defensive holding rules. I'd also like rules committee to de-emphasize DPI in general - it's been incredibly controversial

#3 - An NFL version of the targeting rule. If you lead with your helmet, ONLY IF you knock another player out, defensive player should be booted too. Bounty hunting is really bad for the game

#4 - Change the ridiculous rule around calling fumbles out of the end zone touchbacks

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 06:08 PM
New CP Lexicon: "That call went Full Triplett!"

Frosty
01-23-2018, 06:14 PM
#1 - De-emphasize any rule that barely affects the game. As in, practically eliminate them. Taunting, excessive celebration, unsportsmanlike conduct that doesn't involve fighting or delay. Take the subjective bullshit out of this sport.

Like calling holding on every single punt or kick return. Don't call that shit if it isn't blatant and/or doesn't affect the play any.

#4 - Change the ridiculous rule around calling fumbles out of the end zone touchbacks

I like that rule. It's a way for a defense to make a great play and get the ball back, like Parker did against Buffalo several years ago.

LiveSteam
01-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Cheerleader clothing is optional

srvy
01-23-2018, 06:26 PM
Like calling holding on every single punt or kick return. Don't call that shit if it isn't blatant and/or doesn't affect the play any.

I like that rule. It's a way for a defense to make a great play and get the ball back, like Parker did against Buffalo several years ago.

The league needs to define all rules so there is no doubt. End the judgement calls for the refs. Then really grade these pricks if the get so many marks send them to a relief pool with fines. If that doesnt fix it and they fail again suspension the third time is relieved of duties.

Sandy Vagina
01-23-2018, 06:28 PM
All plays should be reviewable. And there should be an official watching on TV just like all of us who see the uncalled shit that can call it.

Also, referees should be held accountable for horrible calls, and actually FIRED if they go full Tripplette.

Of course none of that will ever happen, because obviously if the Patriots continue to win all is well. :whackit:

All of this... ^ ... yet every potential review should be made within 12 seconds beginning to end. All it takes is one quick look on the big screen. 12 seconds.

DPI penalties should max out at 25 yds.

Just as you say for accountability in bad calls.. there should be accountability for obvious penalties not called. We see them every game... glaring OL holding that the ref is staring right at. Enough strikes with those, and the refs should get terminated.

...but all of this is bullshit. The NFL likes the corruption the way it is. cha-ching!

Renegade
01-23-2018, 06:31 PM
#1. Whistle can't be blown until the ball is on the ground. What is forward progress?

#2. Get rid of the 2 minute warning. It is only there for a free time out and to sell more ads.

#3. What really is a catch, and was his arm moving forward?

#4. Is there really a NY review, or is that made up?

#5. Hands to the face should apply to RB's and WR's.

#6. I agree. Get rid of inactives and expand the roster. If a player is listed as out, too bad -teams shouldn't be on equal terms because of injuries.

Chiefnj2
01-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Go back to whatever the rules were in 1985 and call the game like they did back then.

The Franchise
01-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Make calls like DPI challengable. It's too big of a call to just let the ref go, "Well, I THINK I saw something."

There should be a time limit for how long after a play that a ref can throw a flag.

And any player advocating for a flag multiple times....can be flagged for a delay of game. Quit fucking calling for a flag every time you don't catch the ball.

Chiefnj2
01-23-2018, 06:36 PM
If you keep trying to restrict hits to the head and increase suspensions etc., smaller DBs have no option but to go low. You would have many more acl and other severe knee injuries.

srvy
01-23-2018, 06:36 PM
There should be a time limit for how long after a play that a ref can throw a flag.

And any player advocating for a flag multiple times....can be flagged for a delay of game. Quit fucking calling for a flag every time you don't catch the ball.

I like this but Kelce wont :D

JoeyChuckles
01-23-2018, 06:39 PM
I said it in a thread a few months ago, but Defensive Pass Interference should be a "half the distance" penalty, with a 5 or 10 yard minimum. If you interfere with a guy 50 yards downfield with the ball in the air, the offense gets 25 yards.

Chief Roundup
01-23-2018, 06:52 PM
Can you confidently say that instant replay has improved the game? I sure can't.

Yes, but it is not perfect. It has definitely made it a lot more fair.
If they could have reviewed the hit that DJ layed on Mariota we would have beaten the Titans. That is the reason that all rulings on the field by the officials should be reviewed. Obscure penalties like that one called my Triplette should be eliminated from the rule book. Just like the "Tuck Rule".
There should definitely be an official that is watching the game and can overturn any call made or missed by the ground crew.

gblowfish
01-23-2018, 06:55 PM
If you keep trying to restrict hits to the head and increase suspensions etc., smaller DBs have no option but to go low. You would have many more acl and other severe knee injuries.

Maybe, but a knee will heal. CTE will kill you.

The Franchise
01-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Maybe, but a knee will heal. CTI will kill you.

Knees can prematurely end careers as well.

TribalElder
01-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Defensive holding should not be 5 yards and a first down

Challenging forward progress should be allowed. That rule is only there so the refs can screw teams over without worry of being overturned.

Refs shouldn’t even be there anymore. It should be automatic with all the computers, cameras, and other shot they have now.

Ref crews should be held accountable by being named on tv along with tracking penalty stats for refs like they do stats for players.

cosmo20002
01-23-2018, 07:01 PM

Between the tackles, it's illegal to just launch the ball OB, but it's ok if you are outside the tackle box and the pass makes it back the line of scrimmage. Bull shit.

IMO, the rule should be that any pass that is not in the general area of an eligible receiver is grounding. Period.

So, far this is the only sensible rule suggestion in the thread.

TribalElder
01-23-2018, 07:06 PM
Also, I think refs should have to go in front of the media in post game interviews just like the players

Maybe top 3 flag throwers go in front of the camera for the media and talk about what they saw and why they called what they called. More accountability for these idiots because they are ruining the game imo

Frazod
01-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Also, I think refs should have to go in front of the media in post game interviews just like the players

Maybe top 3 flag throwers go in front of the camera for the media and talk about what they saw and why they called what they called. More accountability for these idiots because they are ruining the game imo

The assholes who control them are ruining the game.

Valiant
01-23-2018, 07:12 PM
If you were on the rules committee, what rules would you consider changing to improve the game?

Here's my list:

All paychecks that are lost: funds go to CTE Research.

How about you? What would you change?

1. Only if calls are reviewable. Especially if no opi is called. Throw flag get call. The bump rule needs to be 10 yards to balance this also.

2. Only if it is a bonafide targeting hit. But to balance offensive players have to give them selves up and cannot lower their head for catches. Also reviewable.

3.ok

4.no too extreme and some ejections were bs. Loss of game check to charity.

5. No, move up to 10 but two pt plays are also from 10.

No, league should already be funding this. Also the research should also look into the percentage of suicides with people having financial problems.
Same with the league should guarantee medical for life if you play 4 seasons or more or injured during a game or NFL activity.

Ideally need to research mimicking rugby pads for games.

IowaHawkeyeChief
01-23-2018, 07:13 PM
#1 and #3 won't happen as it is an offensive game in the NFL. That is good for us now that we will have PMIII starting.:D

#2 definitely agree

#4 Ok, no real opinion

#5 keep it as is

I would like to see one challenge a game if you felt there was an obvious face mask or hold or PI that could change the game that was or wasn't called.

cosmo20002
01-23-2018, 07:14 PM

If getting more calls right is an improvement, then yes. C'mon...
An overturned call is one they got (eventually) got right that would have been wrong. They usually aren't too many complaints about those.

cosmo20002
01-23-2018, 07:18 PM
The league needs to define all rules so there is no doubt. End the judgement calls for the refs. Then really grade these pricks if the get so many marks send them to a relief pool with fines. If that doesnt fix it and they fail again suspension the third time is relieved of duties.

:rolleyes:
Pretty much everything is a judgment call. Especially if you're going to allow for things like 'incidental' contact that doesn't really impact the play.

CapsLockKey
01-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Add the targeting rule that college has and make it reviewable. Make everything challengeable including penalties.

chiefzilla1501
01-23-2018, 07:25 PM
:rolleyes:
Pretty much everything is a judgment call. Especially if you're going to allow for things like 'incidental' contact that doesn't really impact the play.

The league had meetings to specifically "emphasize" these types of rules. The league can just as easily erase that and they should. If there's gray area, then I'd rather let the play play out instead of giving away free plays to the offense like candy.

crayzkirk
01-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Make more of the offensive penalties include loss of down. Most penalties on the defense give the offense too much of an advantage. Make DPI review-able somehow. Add a targeting rule to eliminate leading with the head in all situations. On one hand we are told to be amazed at the athletic ability of these players and on the other, we are told that it all happens too fast. Garbage, players know they are targeting and leading with their heads.

The game has swung way too much in favor of the offense. Running backs can put their head down and run into someone, they can grab the face mask of a defender and use it to leverage them out of the way. The intentional grounding rule is a joke; if the QB can't get away or find someone to throw the ball then it should be treated as a sack.

I don't like the rules about a catch, if the ball touches the ground, not a catch. If the ball moves when you land out of bounds, not a catch. If you catch the ball, get two feet on the ground and cross the goal line the play is over, TD.

ClevelandBronco
01-23-2018, 07:45 PM

The ground can cause a fumble if the ball carrier goes to the ground without being contacted by a tackler. “The ground cannot cause a fumble” is one of the dumber incorrect clichés we’ve been bequeathed by idiot sportscasters.

But, yeah, the catch rule is a mess.

Coochie liquor
01-23-2018, 08:34 PM
I’d make it illegal to pass the ball every play when you have a lead. Maybe that will help Andy out some??

stumppy
01-23-2018, 08:44 PM
I'd be happy if they'd just make it a level playing field when it comes to penalties.

I'm about done with the preferential treatment.

FanOfRED
01-23-2018, 09:01 PM

Yes this. ^^ Challenge all calls. Maybe there will be pressure on the officials to not make shitty calls or purposeful make game changing calls. Hell, how about challenge any play such as the ones the official fuck tards don't call. Like the one where Kelce got speared helmet to helmet and they didn't even bat their eyes.

ClevelandBronco
01-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Yes this. ^^ Challenge all calls. Maybe there will be pressure on the officials to not make shitty calls or purposeful make game changing calls. Hell, how about challenge any play such as the ones the official fuck tards don't call. Like the one where Kelce got speared helmet to helmet and they didn't even bat their eyes.

I’m skeptical that anyone would sit through a five hour game.

Renegade
01-23-2018, 09:14 PM
I also don't understand why "clocking the ball" isn't intentional grounding. The QB is still between the tackles and the ball is not thrown at the line of scrimmage or towards a receiver.

Chiefshrink
01-23-2018, 09:27 PM
I also don't understand why "clocking the ball" isn't intentional grounding. The QB is still between the tackles and the ball is not thrown at the line of scrimmage or towards a receiver.

Agreed. But I am sure they have some BS reason why it isn't. Probably that it would "kill the dramatic drive" because time would run out and ratings would really dip in the last 45 sec of the game once the fanbase learns they have no timeouts.:D

Nickhead
01-23-2018, 10:24 PM
if kicking the ball out of bounds on the back end of the end zone is not a penalty, kickers should be able to coffin corner kick again. (would lessen the violent hits, plus reward the kicking team for such good placement.)

accident or not, defender must be removed if player 'is confirmed' as having a concussion.

absolutely love the mittens idea ROFL

all plays should be review-able, including early whistles that void plays reviewability. :D

forward progress must be a three second count :thumb:

offensive holding should be 5 yards and loss of down. :D

cooper barrett
01-23-2018, 10:36 PM

When they do they should get a week off and a $50K fine.

Chief Pagan
01-23-2018, 11:06 PM
If a player draws a foul by intentionally flopping. It should be reviewed during commercial break. Say a player acts like he got hit in the face when there wasn't any contact, but the ref fell for it.

When it is reviewed at the next commercial, not only should the foul be nullified, any free throw points should be nullified, and the player flopping should be given a technical. The other teams gets to shoot the technical and get the ball back.

Oh wait. /wrong rant.

TinyEvel
01-24-2018, 02:26 AM
They can just get rid of taunting all together. Are these grown men or 2nd graders? I can understand derogatory terms not being allowed but ****ing pointing at someone is ****ing bullshit.

Yeah, I saw a 15 yard penalty assessed on kickoff because the receiver pointed at the DB as he was running into the end zone. total BS..
BUT

so how come Tyreek Hill never gets taunting called on his peace sign as he's entering the EZ? He's done it toward a defender before. Pats game especially.

"Oh, the peace sign is just a friendly gesture. Pointing is taunting" --ref.

:cuss:

Nickhead
01-24-2018, 03:42 AM
not allowed to wear white/grey/tan shoes or gloves. makes it difficult for officials to differentiate appendages and boundaries :thumb:

bevischief
01-24-2018, 05:49 AM
1st down Patriots

Sandy Vagina
01-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Yeah, I saw a 15 yard penalty assessed on kickoff because the receiver pointed at the DB as he was running into the end zone. total BS..
BUT

so how come Tyreek Hill never gets taunting called on his peace sign as he's entering the EZ? He's done it toward a defender before. Pats game especially.

"Oh, the peace sign is just a friendly gesture. Pointing is taunting" --ref.

:cuss:

eh... it's a pretty significant and obvious difference.

One gesture is directed AT an opposing player... the other, is not. Same reason the ref dropped a flag on Kelce, and then picked it up (late game this season). They conferred, and realized that Kelce was simply doing a brief celebration after a catch.. when first, they misconstrued it as directing his action at an opposing player.

It's a slippery slope, once you start letting opposing players taunt. It's classless, can start fights that the League doesn't and shouldn't want viewed. There's enough classless outside of football.

Rasputin
01-24-2018, 07:28 AM
When a team is caught cheating they forfeit the right to play in post season.

I just don't get how it is possible for a team to have sanctions and fines and draft picks taken away and still be in 8 Super Bowls?

MahiMike
01-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Absolute #1 for me is that EVERY play is reviewable - penalties included.

Rasputin
01-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Absolute #1 for me is that EVERY play is reviewable - penalties included.

The League should review each game and refs are paid by calling a good game fair and get docked $$ for every blatant call they miss or screw up.

Chiefs Moon
01-24-2018, 08:54 AM
Each coach gets three challenges. Can be used for anything. No restrictions and that includes any calls by officials.

Sandy Vagina
01-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Each coach gets three challenges. Can be used for anything. No restrictions and that includes any calls by officials.

How bout 5 of these per half, BUT the reviews must be completed within the framework of 15 seconds. Quick looks at the big screen... all one should ever require.

Rasputin
01-24-2018, 09:08 AM
How bout 5 of these per half, BUT the reviews must be completed within the framework of 15 seconds. Quick looks at the big screen... all one should ever require.

Eh that might work @ home but go on the road and teams won't show anything favorable to the other team.

3rd&Long
01-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Mandate that all players stand for the National Anthem or be suspended that game without pay. Eliminate replays on what is or isn't a catch. Allow the refs latitude and their own subjective opinion as to whether a ball is caught or it isn't.

Sandy Vagina
01-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Nah, just don't televise prior to the Anthem, or review what people were doing during it.

gblowfish
01-24-2018, 09:54 AM
New rules as long as Brady continues to play:

http://i65.tinypic.com/1z68v2a.jpg

crayzkirk
01-24-2018, 11:33 AM
eh... it's a pretty significant and obvious difference.

One gesture is directed AT an opposing player... the other, is not. Same reason the ref dropped a flag on Kelce, and then picked it up (late game this season). They conferred, and realized that Kelce was simply doing a brief celebration after a catch.. when first, they misconstrued it as directing his action at an opposing player.

It's a slippery slope, once you start letting opposing players taunt. It's classless, can start fights that the League doesn't and shouldn't want viewed. There's enough classless outside of football.

Again, I'm confused... How is letting the entire team have a big celebration in the end zone any different than taunting? Also, are we to believe that these highly paid athletes have egos so fragile that they can't play a few mind games with each other? For the money these guys are making, they should be able to handle anything a player on the other teams says or does.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Chief Pagan
01-24-2018, 01:13 PM
if kicking the ball out of bounds on the back end of the end zone is not a penalty, kickers should be able to coffin corner kick again. (would lessen the violent hits, plus reward the kicking team for such good placement.)

I would change the rules about the ball going out of bounds for both punts and kickoffs. If the ball lands out of bounds for either a punt or kickoff, the other team gets the ball 30 yards downfield. If the ball lands in bounds and then goes out of bounds, nice kick. It is up to the returner to deal with it.

Having the ref trying to decide where a punt, that landed out of bounds, actually crossed the side line, is problematic and I think the kicking team should be punished if the returner has absolutely no chance of a return. If a kickoff lands in bounds and goes out, I don't see why that should be a penalty.

To reduce injuries, instead of having kickoffs, the idea has been floated to have it instead be a punt situation. The team "kicking off" has fourth and ten (or whatever yards to go would be appropriate) and it is just a normal punt, or they could go for it on fourth down. Traditionalists would scream, but I would be ok with that change.

GoChargers
01-24-2018, 01:13 PM
Change PI to the college rules. The spot foul is a joke.

Get rid of the taunting and excessive celebration rules. These calls only exist to help the favored teams win. The Patriots can taunt all they want and never get flagged for it.

There also needs to be consequences for cheating that actually address why teams cheat. The Patriots clearly don't see a problem with trading draft picks and money for tainted titles.

MahiMike
01-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Change PI to the college rules. The spot foul is a joke.

Get rid of the taunting and excessive celebration rules. These calls only exist to help the favored teams win. The Patriots can taunt all they want and never get flagged for it.

There also needs to be consequences for cheating that actually address why teams cheat. The Patriots clearly don't see a problem with trading draft picks and money for tainted titles.
YES!

ClevelandBronco
01-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Just make it against the rules to be as good as the Patriots and quit your bitching.

tmax63
01-24-2018, 02:08 PM
DPI- 1/2 the distance, max 20yds
Intentional Grounding any time a receiver isn't within 10 yards- same current penalty
Offensive Holding-5 yards
D Holding- 5 yards, not automatic 1st down

KChiefs1
01-07-2019, 07:57 PM
I think it would be entertaining to have kicks that hit the goal posts to be worth 4pts.

It would make for some entertaining end of games. Say the Chargers are down by 4 to the Patriots on Sunday with the ball at the 30 yard line with 3 seconds left. Would you try a Hail Mary or attempt a 48 yard FG attempting to hit the post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk