PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Offseason Planet Evaluation: Ron Parker

Rain Man
01-24-2018, 05:39 PM
We just hit Peters, so now we go to Parker, the other half of Spiderman. What do you think about Ron's performance this year?

Ron started all 16 games this year and recorded 58 tackles and 9 assists. He had 4 passes defensed, made 2 interceptions for 40 yards, and recovered 2 fumbles for 7 yards.

CoMoChief
01-24-2018, 05:43 PM
He's a safety who doesn't like to hit.

He can get fucked.

Rain Man
01-24-2018, 06:11 PM
I kind of view Ron Parker as being similar to Jerome Woods. Both are/were generally solid tacklers who prevent bad things from happening, but they don't create good things. Neither of them really makes plays. Along that line, Parker in the past seemed to be good at tipping the ball away even if he didn't get interceptions, but that didn't seem to happen this year.

He's kind of the fireman who hoses down the burning car wreck and cleans up the glass after other firemen have pulled the people out of the burning car.

BlackHelicopters
01-24-2018, 06:18 PM
No F-?

Easy 6
01-24-2018, 06:24 PM
C+ not the worst starting FS around, but is clearly slipping

About as expected

Slightly smaller role as we work in a rookie

Descending ability

5th round pick

Camping

ILChief
01-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Probably a better dime corner than safety. Decent at coverage but a terrible tackler

loochy
01-25-2018, 08:14 AM
He faded bad without Berry's presence.

Bring Abdullah out of retirement!

gblowfish
01-25-2018, 01:06 PM
He cannot tackle. At all. Cut him.

HC_Chief
01-25-2018, 01:11 PM

This, a million times, this.

Easy 6
01-25-2018, 02:35 PM

This, a million times, this.

Its a tempting thought, but if we cut all of the Nunez-Roches and Parker types... we'd barely be able to field a defense

The sad truth is fixing this defense isnt gonna be a one year job

Rain Man
01-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Its a tempting thought, but if we cut all of the Nunez-Roches and Parker types... we'd barely be able to field a defense

The sad truth is fixing this defense isnt gonna be a one year job

Part of my goal in doing this is to see where we want to make roster changes, and then put that in context with how many roster changes are realistic. Whenever we talk about players one at a time, it's easy to desire upgrades, but at the end of this process I'll put up a thread that compares our scores of everyone, to inform a discussion of priorities. The individual grades are interesting, but I'm particularly looking forward to bringing them all together at the end.

Easy 6
01-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Part of my goal in doing this is to see where we want to make roster changes, and then put that in context with how many roster changes are realistic. Whenever we talk about players one at a time, it's easy to desire upgrades, but at the end of this process I'll put up a thread that compares our scores of everyone, to inform a discussion of priorities. The individual grades are interesting, but I'm particularly looking forward to bringing them all together at the end.

I'm really enjoying these threads, kinda surprised they arent creating more discussion... with all the strongly opinionated people here, you'd think more people would be bragging or ragging

Maybe it'll pick up when you start wrapping things up and coming to some hard conclusions

Been thinking that I maybe tend to overrate guys just a hair even when I try not to, like with Nunez-Roches... he is a C- at best, but I went C without thinking it through

Otter
01-25-2018, 03:10 PM

Do you plan on posting a results summary?

Rain Man
01-25-2018, 03:15 PM
Do you plan on posting a results summary?

Oh, yeah. There'll be a capstone thread where I pull all of the results together to compare and contrast. That's going to be fun.

Rain Man
01-25-2018, 03:18 PM
I'm really enjoying these threads, kinda surprised they arent creating more discussion... with all the strongly opinionated people here, you'd think more people would be bragging or ragging

Maybe it'll pick up when you start wrapping things up and coming to some hard conclusions

Been thinking that I maybe tend to overrate guys just a hair even when I try not to, like with Nunez-Roches... he is a C- at best, but I went C without thinking it through

I'm surprised that I've never thought to do it before. It seems like a good postseason activity, and it puts some order to the various discussions that pop up about individual players.

My biggest blind spot is trade potential for draft picks. I figure that any guy who makes an NFL roster should be worth at least a low-round pick, because a lot of low-round picks wash out quickly. A guy like Nunez-Roches is a good example of that. He was a sixth-round pick for us and he made 11 starts. That's surprising. While I view him as a JAG, that still probably means that he's worth more than a new 6th round pick, because it's rare that those guys will get a starting spot. So I keep stopping and checking myself before I fill out that option.

Easy 6
01-25-2018, 03:32 PM
My biggest blind spot is trade potential for draft picks. I figure that any guy who makes an NFL roster should be worth at least a low-round pick, because a lot of low-round picks wash out quickly. A guy like Nunez-Roches is a good example of that. He was a sixth-round pick for us and he made 11 starts. That's surprising. While I view him as a JAG, that still probably means that he's worth more than a new 6th round pick, because it's rare that those guys will get a starting spot. So I keep stopping and checking myself before I fill out that option.

You're absolutely right IMO, the old saying about 'a bird in hand...' comes to mind

Gonna start viewing things through that lens more in upcoming reviews

NJChiefsFan
01-25-2018, 06:53 PM
Without Berry, and on a team that struggled to tackle, he did not bring what KC needed when more responsibility fell on his shoulders. Contract not helping his cause either. D+.