PDA

View Full Version : Jaylen Samuels

O.city
02-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Lets talk about him and where he might go and what he could be in the NFL.

Someone on twitter brought it up about him so I started watching him a bit. Man, impressive stuff.

Looks perfectly suited to play the Joker position and be a versatile all around type offensive player.

Someone compared him to David Johnson. Looks similar.

The Franchise
02-01-2018, 10:25 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/58KXly1PdBM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

O.city
02-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Me thinks he'd be a great option in the Chiefs offense in that he could be a hybrid player and do so many things. Gives you insurance if Kelce goes down, can play some RB, can return kicks.

I don't know that he'll ever be a center piece type of player, but man in an innovative offense I think he could be weapon.

BryanBusby
02-02-2018, 05:01 PM
I have always dreamed of a modern Jason Dunn

O.city
02-08-2018, 12:26 PM
He’s apparently running with the tight ends at the combine

I really wanna have this guy here next year.

Wonder if he’d be there in the 3rd

Chief Roundup
02-08-2018, 05:59 PM

If it were to happen I hope he would not be another Kris Wilson.

staylor26
02-08-2018, 06:33 PM

We’d have to do a reallly good job of plugging holes in free agency for me to use a 3rd on him. I’d be willing to trade up in the 4th if he doesn’t go day 2 though.

kccrow
02-08-2018, 07:35 PM
I'd say he'll go 5th or 6th round as a situational RB. Doesn't have the size to be a TE and doesn't seem to have enough agility to play WR full time.

O.city
02-08-2018, 09:00 PM
I'd say he'll go 5th or 6th round as a situational RB. Doesn't have the size to be a TE and doesn't seem to have enough agility to play WR full time.

He made way too many plays for me to think he’ll go that late.

I’m guessing around the 4th.

kccrow
02-09-2018, 01:11 AM
He made way too many plays for me to think he’ll go that late.

I’m guessing around the 4th.

He may be one of those classic case guys where he better run well at the Combine or he drops because he isn't overly good at anything. He hasn't proven he can run between the tackles and he definitely doesn't look to have the speed or quickness to be an NFL WR. His best fit seems to be RB, but unless he runs in the mid-to-low 4.5s, I have a hard time seeing him go where he's "projected."

O.city
02-09-2018, 08:17 AM
He may be one of those classic case guys where he better run well at the Combine or he drops because he isn't overly good at anything. He hasn't proven he can run between the tackles and he definitely doesn't look to have the speed or quickness to be an NFL WR. His best fit seems to be RB, but unless he runs in the mid-to-low 4.5s, I have a hard time seeing him go where he's "projected."

Yeah, I don't think he'll necessarily time well or blow anyone away. I also don't think he's going to be the centerpiece of an offense.

But I think he's extremely versatile and could be a joker type player. He would allow you to be creative with your roster in that he could play multiple positions.

Of course versatile also means not great at anything so there is that.

kccrow
02-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I don't think he'll necessarily time well or blow anyone away. I also don't think he's going to be the centerpiece of an offense.

But I think he's extremely versatile and could be a joker type player. He would allow you to be creative with your roster in that he could play multiple positions.

Of course versatile also means not great at anything so there is that.

Versatility is a big reason I really like Garrett Dickerson out of Northwestern. He can drop into the backfield and be a very effective blocking FB or he can split out and be a very effective move TE. He has quality size at 6'3" 248. He doesn't really have experience running the football from the backfield, but Reid never really called to hand Sherman the football either. He's a guy that saves you a roster spot.

O.city
02-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Versatility is a big reason I really like Garrett Dickerson out of Northwestern. He can drop into the backfield and be a very effective blocking FB or he can split out and be a very effective move TE. He has quality size at 6'3" 248. He doesn't really have experience running the football from the backfield, but Reid never really called to hand Sherman the football either. He's a guy that saves you a roster spot.

He's definitely bigger, but I think Samuels has more upside than that. Jaylen could be your backup tight end, H back. I think he could play the Hernandez role he played for the Pats. He's probably not as dynamic but he fills alot of spots.

Plus he can return kicks.

I'm anxious to see what he runs though.

O.city
02-10-2018, 12:45 PM
https://twitter.com/marcus_mosher/status/959072327521767424

Here’s a good breakdown of gifs

staylor26
02-10-2018, 01:00 PM
https://twitter.com/marcus_mosher/status/959072327521767424

Here’s a good breakdown of gifs

That was a great showcase of his talent and versatility. If he makes it out of day 2 I’d love to trade up for him. Adding somebody like that to our group of weapons would really give DC’s problems.

I’d even be somewhat alright with taking him with our second 3rd, but I’d rather not because I also think we need to go all in on defense for day 2. Either way I’m probably trading up in the 4th because I think there will be some real quality in the first 10 picks or so on day 3.

O.city
02-10-2018, 02:17 PM
That was a great showcase of his talent and versatility. If he makes it out of day 2 I’d love to trade up for him. Adding somebody like that to our group of weapons would really give DC’s problems.

I’d even be somewhat alright with taking him with our second 3rd, but I’d rather not because I also think we need to go all in on defense for day 2. Either way I’m probably trading up in the 4th because I think there will be some real quality in the first 10 picks or so on day 3.

I would spend one of the thirds on him if he’s there

I think he could be legit with Andy

He does remind me of David Johnson

kccrow
02-10-2018, 06:23 PM
My major issue is how/when do you get him on the field? He isn't going to play RB with Hunt and Ware available. That kind of takes away his value as a run option. You're, essentially, making him a slot receiver. Is he a "best" option as a slot receiver? Don't know how I feel about it just yet.

DaneMcCloud
02-10-2018, 07:48 PM
My major issue is how/when do you get him on the field? He isn't going to play RB with Hunt and Ware available. That kind of takes away his value as a run option. You're, essentially, making him a slot receiver. Is he a "best" option as a slot receiver? Don't know how I feel about it just yet.

Considering the lack of depth at both the running back and WR position, taking a guy like Samuels on Day 3 does make a little sense.

DaneMcCloud
02-10-2018, 07:50 PM
I would spend one of the thirds on him if he’s there

I think he could be legit with Andy

He does remind me of David Johnson

I might package up a 4th and 6th to move up higher in the 4th if he’s there but the Chiefs have much greater needs to address on defense with their 2nd and two 3rd round picks.

Taking him with a 3rd is too much of a luxury pick.

O.city
02-11-2018, 01:24 PM
They do have defensive needs for sure

But this dude could be such a versatile player that he could play some tight end, some wr, some rb and return kicks.

That’s a lot of options

kccrow
02-11-2018, 03:15 PM
Definitely a guy that would be a better option to replace Thomas, but the question will be where he goes.

I don't necessarily think its a bad thing to avoid defense with one of the top few picks in the draft because if you can get an impact player anywhere for 2018 it's a huge bonus.

I don't think we can expect a 2nd and two 3rds to start day one defensively anyhow. I've been looking primarily at WR and TE in one of those slots and thinking it might not be a bad place to make a pick on one. If you can get a legit gadget player (read that as not a miniature player that wastes a spot for 4 years), then I don't think that's a bad thing.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2018, 05:19 PM
I don't think we can expect a 2nd and two 3rds to start day one defensively anyhow.

A safety and D lineman would definitely rotate from Week 1 and depending on what they do with Parker and Sorensen, starting a rookie safety wouldn't be out of the question, either.

I've been looking primarily at WR and TE in one of those slots and thinking it might not be a bad place to make a pick on one. If you can get a legit gadget player (read that as not a miniature player that wastes a spot for 4 years), then I don't think that's a bad thing.

I disagree. A 2nd or 3rd round WR wouldn't even come close to sniffing the field in 2018, especially with Hill, Conley, Chesson, Kemp and Robinson having seniority and experience. Gerhig Deiter, too.

As for a TE, that's at the bottom of the list, IMO. Crockett Gilmore and Trey Burton make much more sense than a 2nd round TE, especially when the Defensive Line is in shambles with only 3 players on the roster and Jones is coming off of surgery.

They also signed a very talented Jace Amaro, who's only 25, but his career has been completely derailed by injuries.

O.city
02-11-2018, 07:41 PM
They should rotate and play but we’ve seen the trend with the chiefs and defensive players. Hopefully that changes.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2018, 07:47 PM
They should rotate and play but we’ve seen the trend with the chiefs and defensive players. Hopefully that changes.

Veach is going to draft players that contribute immediately.

MotherfuckerJones
02-11-2018, 08:20 PM
He sure is fun to watch as a prospect. He’d be fun in this offense.

O.city
02-12-2018, 09:58 AM

That’s for sure the hope

I don’t mind the occasional long term development guy but when you need immediate help those suck

kccrow
02-12-2018, 08:16 PM

Best hope so because the future of this defense looks abysmal right now, which I suppose isn't a downgrade.

Couch-Potato
02-12-2018, 09:05 PM
Interesting prospect. Pretty sure Reid would love drawing up gadget plays for this guy. As KCcrow points out, I'm not sure where he'd play? Kick returner, sure, but we have the best returner in the league already. We have plenty of talent at RB. If he takes over for Harris, can he block? Slot and occasional TE2 seems best, he likes to go over the middle and you could run sweeps and screens with him. Problem is that if he's not good enough to be on the field regularly then he'll be spotted every time he gets on the field to run a gadget play.

Dave Lane
02-13-2018, 10:53 AM
If it were to happen I hope he would not be another Kris Wilson.

Exact. Thought.

O.city
02-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Interesting prospect. Pretty sure Reid would love drawing up gadget plays for this guy. As KCcrow points out, I'm not sure where he'd play? Kick returner, sure, but we have the best returner in the league already. We have plenty of talent at RB. If he takes over for Harris, can he block? Slot and occasional TE2 seems best, he likes to go over the middle and you could run sweeps and screens with him. Problem is that if he's not good enough to be on the field regularly then he'll be spotted every time he gets on the field to run a gadget play.

You could move him around to play everywhere. Just get him on the field and in the offense.

He can play outside some, in the slot, in the backfield etc.

Basically a better DAT immediately and I think he could become a lot more. Ware is here for another year and then you could have him give Hunt a breather and such.

MotherfuckerJones
02-13-2018, 09:42 PM
NFL.com has him as rounds 4-5 in his draft profile. I’d definitely be all for him in round 4.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Sounds like a late round Kris Wilson clone...mej

BossChief
02-23-2018, 12:54 AM

What makes you say that?

I mean, we all hope that...but are you basing that on a comment he’s made?

He might continue drafting huge ceiling guys that are a bit of a project.

I don’t think Dorsey cared if a guy could play year 1.

BossChief
02-23-2018, 12:58 AM
Samuels kinda reminds me of Percy Harvin a little. Harvin was electric with Favre...Samuels could be electric with Mahomes.

It would be wise to fill Deanthony Thomas’ role with a kid like him. Especially if you can do so in the 4th.

MotherfuckerJones
02-23-2018, 06:44 AM
Samuels kinda reminds me of Percy Harvin a little. Harvin was electric with Favre...Samuels could be electric with Mahomes.

It would be wise to fill Deanthony Thomas’ role with a kid like him. Especially if you can do so in the 4th.

His return ability would help a lot too. I’m for taking him in round 4

O.city
02-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Yeah he would fill a lot of needs for the offense

I’m a big fan. Maybe enough to spend a 3rd

MotherfuckerJones
02-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Yeah he would fill a lot of needs for the offense

I’m a big fan. Maybe enough to spend a 3rd

With multiple picks in round 3, I’m probably alright with it unless there’s a defensive player we need

O.city
02-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Yeah I wouldn’t love spending a third but I think he could really add to the offens and would be cheap

O.city
02-26-2018, 08:49 PM
That extra fourth round pick. Here we go.

O.city
03-03-2018, 06:47 PM
Worked out with the tight ends today and killed it

Can be th flex tight end, kick returner, running back, wide r forever and general all around good guy

4th round pick

O.city
03-03-2018, 08:00 PM
I think he could be a Delanie walker type player but more versatile

Pasta Little Brioni
03-03-2018, 09:34 PM
No thanks