PDA

View Full Version : Football Childress signs with Bears

The Franchise
02-05-2018, 01:09 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">His retirement is short lived: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bears?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bears</a> are expected to hire Brad Childress as an offensive consultant, source said. Nagy and Childress are very close, so it&#39;s not exactly a surprise.</p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/960589193297657856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 5, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CasselGotPeedOn
02-05-2018, 01:11 PM
I would want to get away from fat Andy too.

JoeyChuckles
02-05-2018, 01:12 PM
The Chiefsification of the Bears continues.

seaofred
02-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Was his contract with KC up? I don't see how he could retire, then sign with the Bears if it wasn't.

siberian khatru
02-05-2018, 01:17 PM
It's a proven fact that Reid assistants have a better chance of winning a Super Bowl than Reid himself.

carcosa
02-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Andy Reid sucks

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Wow. Clearly, Chilly wanted out.

Crazy.

Eleazar
02-05-2018, 01:31 PM
More rats off the ship

KChiefs1
02-05-2018, 01:43 PM
We should have traded him to the Bears.

arrwheader
02-05-2018, 01:51 PM
LOL

The Franchise
02-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Bears hired Brad Childress as offensive consultant.

Childress "retired" from the Chiefs last month. Evidently Andy Reid didn't want him back as assistant head coach. Childress is "very close" to ex-Chiefs coordinator and new Bears coach Matt Nagy. "Chilly" turns 62 in June.

Eleazar
02-05-2018, 01:53 PM
So, Bears to the 'Bowl in the next couple of years then? LMAO

Because Chiefs

dj56dt58
02-05-2018, 01:55 PM
So, Bears to the 'Bowl in the next couple of years then? LMAO

Because Chiefs

Yes they will win the SB..with Tyler Bray at QB

NWTF
02-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Wow. Clearly, Chilly wanted out.

Crazy.

Makes you wonder why. Not that I gaf about Childress, but it would seem to be a downgrade IMO. Hed be Andys right hand man as the Mahomes era begins, and yes clearly he wasnt interested.

The Bears may improve, but again it would seem the Chiefs would be the better place to be.

Jerm
02-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Can Bob Sutton "retire" now please....

Ragged Robin
02-05-2018, 02:00 PM
there is literally no one left on the offensive coaching staff to save Andy from himself

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Well, one thing of note: All of Andy's new hires, outside of Bieniemy, have been men in their early 30's, not guys like Sutton and Chilly in their 60's.

Sassy Squatch
02-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Oh no. Childress fucked off to Chicogo? Whatever will we do?

JakeF
02-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Why would any experience offensive guy want to work for Reid and be a paper carrier?

Just like in Philly, Reid has full control of everything below Clark Hunt.

JakeF
02-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Oh no. Childress fucked off to Chicogo? Whatever will we do?Not the point

The Franchise
02-05-2018, 02:05 PM
I wonder if Andy didn't want Childress to stick around because he wouldn't need him for Smith.

Sassy Squatch
02-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Why would any experience offensive guy want to work for Reid and be a paper carrier?

Think about what you just asked. I mean, REALLY think about it for a minute, then come back.

alpha_omega
02-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Did he ever do anything here anyway?

JakeF
02-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Think about what you just asked. I mean, REALLY think about it for a minute, then come back.I would rather hear the opinion of the guy who just said "Oh no. Childress fucked off to Chicogo? Whatever will we do?"

Sassy Squatch
02-05-2018, 02:17 PM
I would rather hear the opinion of the guy who just said "Oh no. Childress fucked off to Chicogo? Whatever will we do?"
Lets try it this way since your critical thinking skills are MIA. I'll lob a softball to you. What do Andy Reid coordinators usually go on to do, especially in recent history?

JakeF
02-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Lets try it this way since your critical thinking skills are MIA. I'll lob a softball to you. What do Andy Reid coordinators usually go on to do, especially in recent history?
Considering about a 1/4 of the head coaches in the NFL are part of the Reid coaching tree, I would say they go on to be pretty productive.

JakeF
02-05-2018, 02:25 PM
We'll never know because we don't really know who has any power behind Andy Reid.

Sassy Squatch
02-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Considering about a 1/4 of the head coaches in the NFL are part of the Reid coaching tree, I would say they go on to be pretty productive.
Good. Good. Now you have the answer to the question: Why would any experience offensive guy want to work for Reid and be a paper carrier?

NWTF
02-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Not much. Supposedly he scouted future opponents for weaknesses and designed a few plays that would expose them then handed it off to Reid once that opponent was on deck and Reid took it from there.

JakeF
02-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Good. Good. Now you have the answer to the question: Why would any experience offensive guy want to work for Reid and be a paper carrier?
The word you seem to be overlooking is "experienced". Young guys jump at the chance to work for Reid but as soon as they gain experience they need to leave and get out from under Reid's limited ability. Just like Schottenheimer on the defensive side.

Sassy Squatch
02-05-2018, 02:52 PM
The word you seem to be overlooking is "experienced". Young guys jump at the chance to work for Reid but as soon as they gain experience they need to leave and get out from under Reid's limited ability. Just like Schottenheimer on the defensive side.
I don't want Reid to get these "experienced" has beens.

Chief Roundup
02-05-2018, 03:36 PM
In some ways it seems that everyone is trying to get away from Reid.

Ragged Robin
02-05-2018, 03:40 PM

but according to Clay, it's McNabb, Vick, Kolb, Foles, and Smith who have been holding Reid back from a championship throughout his entire career, he just wins!!

Sassy Squatch
02-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Who has left that took a lateral move. Chilly and...?

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Who has left that took a lateral move. Chilly and...?

David Culley left in 2016 to become the QB coach in Buffalo after being Assistant Head Coach/Receiver for years with Reid.

Red Dawg
02-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Oh no, not Chilly! He was so important to nothing in KC. What will we ever do.

Iowanian
02-05-2018, 04:08 PM
collusion! Collusion!

Chiefs should lobby for a chicago draft pick for #fakenews retirement to get out of a contract.

wazu
02-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Oh come on.

NJChiefsFan
02-05-2018, 05:06 PM

Is moving on to become head coaches really trying to "get away"? That's taking a major promotion. Nagy and Pederson aren't marks against Reid, they are marks for him.

MahiMike
02-06-2018, 08:21 AM
there is literally no one left on the offensive coaching staff to save Andy from himself

Mahomes

King_Chief_Fan
02-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Mahomes

He cant either

King_Chief_Fan
02-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Oh no, not Chilly! He was so important to nothing in KC. What will we ever do.

Seems like rats jumping a sinking ship. ..Captain Fat Andy

King_Chief_Fan
02-06-2018, 09:30 AM
but according to Clay, it's McNabb, Vick, Kolb, Foles, and Smith who have been holding Reid back from a championship throughout his entire career, he just wins!!

Yup and eventually the moron will blame Mahomes

mdchiefsfan
02-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Think about what you just asked. I mean, REALLY think about it for a minute, then come back.

Seriously. We are churning out HCs, OCs, even GMs. We’re like the minor league for operational and personnel staff for the NFL.

Rams Fan
02-06-2018, 09:41 AM

Ask Matt Nagy.

Or Doug Pederson.

Or Brad Childress.

Or Pat Shurmur.

That's just the offensive guys.

Trivers
02-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Circle jerk of anti-Reid CPers.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Hoover
02-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Circle jerk of anti-Reid CPers.

Move along, nothing to see here.
Yep.

I think its more important to be adding new and younger people to the staff.

raybec 4
02-06-2018, 10:10 AM
There are some dumb fucks up in here. Reid will make Mahomes a star and the Chiefs will be AFC contenders for years to come (after 2018)

lcarus
02-06-2018, 11:25 AM
"Ok Andy. I'm an old grizzled man. I'm gonna dust off my old saddle and ride off into the sunset I guess. Thanks and good luck."

5 minutes later in the car "Matt! I ditched em. Yeah he bought it hahahaha. Friggin losers. See you soon!"

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 03:03 PM
I don't think Chilly gets nearly enough credit for what he did for Andy Reid. Might be an unsung hero.

I have to guess a lot of what you saw on Sunday, Chilly was responsible for a lot of that. All the RPO, the diamond formation, I mean... just wow!

Hoover
09-12-2018, 03:11 PM
I don't think Chilly gets nearly enough credit for what he did for Andy Reid. Might be an unsung hero.

I have to guess a lot of what you saw on Sunday, Chilly was responsible for a lot of that. All the RPO, the diamond formation, I mean... just wow!

Yet the innovation still seems to be seen every year with Reid. I mean at this rate Eric Bieniemy will be the head coach of the Bengals next year! Seriously - Reid has made a lot of coaches a lot of money.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2018, 03:22 PM

JFC

Buehler445
09-12-2018, 04:24 PM

You think that's Chilly and not Reid?

Why in the name of absolute fuck would you think that?

KCUnited
09-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Lol, Reid convinced Clark to give Chilly a paycheck and now that butt fucking moran Bears GM has been duped into giving him a paycheck. NFL Nepotism, Get In The Game!

ModSocks
09-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Lol, Reid convinced Clark to give Chilly a paycheck and now that butt ****ing moran Bears GM has been duped into giving him a paycheck. NFL Nepotism, Get In The Game!

He's not in the NFL.

KCUnited
09-12-2018, 04:34 PM
He's not in the NFL.

Ok good, so after collecting checks from the Chiefs and Bears, he's finally getting towards where he belongs.

JoeyChuckles
09-12-2018, 04:38 PM
He's not in the NFL.

Are we sure about that? Cause this article states "Senior Offensive Consultant" Brad Childress. Did he quit after 6 months on the job?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-matt-nagy-coaching-staff-20180227-story.html

ModSocks
09-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Are we sure about that? Cause this article states "Senior Offensive Consultant" Brad Childress. Did he quit after 6 months on the job?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-matt-nagy-coaching-staff-20180227-story.html

He's a HC in that new startup league now.

KCUnited
09-12-2018, 05:10 PM
A hot commodity outside of obvious nfl fleecing.

Chilly
Berry
Peters
Clark

JoeyChuckles
09-12-2018, 05:21 PM
Huh. Good to know.

Dunerdr
09-12-2018, 05:33 PM
A hot commodity outside of obvious nfl fleecing.

Chilly
Berry
Peters
Clark

Can't you fools see its the price we paid for mahomes.

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 05:41 PM
You think that's Chilly and not Reid?

Why in the name of absolute **** would you think that?

When did I say Reid had nothing to do with it?

Chilly was brought in specifically to research the college game. He was a "spread consultant." Reid ran a creative offense with Smith. But what we ran Sunday was wildly innovative with a ton of college concepts. Triple option, diamond formation, lots of RPO. We ran a very college offense. Doesn't the man who consulted on that get credit for that?

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 05:49 PM
Yet the innovation still seems to be seen every year with Reid. I mean at this rate Eric Bieniemy will be the head coach of the Bengals next year! Seriously - Reid has made a lot of coaches a lot of money.

Reid is an offensive genius. I doubt he had the time to research the college game. Chilly sucked calling plays. They doesn't mean he didn't help inspire Reid with a lot of the ideas he used Sunday they are wildly creative and heavily influenced by college offenses.

Deberg_1990
09-12-2018, 05:55 PM
He's a HC in that new startup league now.

He’s head coach of the Atlanta team.

The league has acquired some decent talent at least.

Chilly, Spurrier, Singletary, Mike Riley, Rick Neuheisel, Mike Martz, Dennis Erickson, etc

https://aaf.com

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 06:03 PM
JFC

Of course you're going to be a contrarian **** about this.

https://www.theringer.com/2016/8/24/16077158/nfl-spread-offense-quarterbacks-72148a036561#.ci0tf255v

There you go. Pretty clear that he inspired a lot of our offensive scheme.

SAUTO
09-12-2018, 06:15 PM

1 month

Buehler445
09-12-2018, 06:24 PM
When did I say Reid had nothing to do with it?

Chilly was brought in specifically to research the college game. He was a "spread consultant." Reid ran a creative offense with Smith. But what we ran Sunday was wildly innovative with a ton of college concepts. Triple option, diamond formation, lots of RPO. We ran a very college offense. Doesn't the man who consulted on that get credit for that?

Not typically, no.

I'm not giving a ton of credit to my agronomist that consults on my crops. You don't see any Fortune 500 companies giving credit to the HR consultants, or market research consultants, or their accounting firms, or any litany of other consultants in business in their quarterly earnings calls.

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Not typically, no.

I'm not giving a ton of credit to my agronomist that consults on my crops. You don't see any Fortune 500 companies giving credit to the HR consultants, or market research consultants, or their accounting firms, or any litany of other consultants in business in their quarterly earnings calls.

If your CBs show great footwork, you don't give the DBs coach credit for the scheme, but you credit him for good coaching.

Chilly's job was to scout pro and college teams, and find innovative ideas. Many are saying we have the most innovative offense in football. Would Reid have even known about a lot of these college concepts if Chilly didn't tell him about it? I would think if an outside consultant pointed you to a farming technique you hadn't considered before, and it worked, you'd give credit for that. You don't need that consultant to run your farm. But he'd deserve credit for the idea.

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Something else that's crazy to consider.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/5/16853446/afc-playoffs-influential-offense-andy-reid-kansas-city-chiefs-college-spread
"When he hired Brad Childress in Kansas City, the former Vikings head coach was given the title of “spread game analyst.” Last summer, I had a long discussion about the future of the spread with Childress. He told me that many of his ideas about what types of spread plays could work in the NFL came from an FCS quarterback he watched who could change quickly from spread to pro concepts with ease. The quarterback was Carson Wentz."

Any thoughts on who the head coach was that traded up to draft Carson Wentz? Hmm... Wonder where that idea came from?

-King-
09-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Reid is an offensive genius. I doubt he had the time to research the college game. Chilly sucked calling plays. They doesn't mean he didn't help inspire Reid with a lot of the ideas he used Sunday they are wildly creative and heavily influenced by college offenses.

....so you're guessing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoover
09-12-2018, 08:13 PM
This tard has to Childress himself right. LOL

Who fucking cares? And we now have a QB who can make the throws and anticipate. That’s probably the biggest difference. Oh and Patrick came from a spread offense

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 08:18 PM
....so you're guessing?
Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/09/10/the-chiefs-gave-us-a-peek-at-the-future-of-nfl-offenses/111299442/
"During his time on the Chiefs staff, Brad Childress may have had the most unique job of any NFL coach. His official title: Spread game analyst. His task: Track offensive trends showing up around all levels of the sport and helping to integrate them into the Chiefs offense."

It's way more than a guess. The guy specifically asked to study college spread concepts probably had a lot to do with KC incorporating college spread concepts into their offense.

Buehler445
09-12-2018, 08:24 PM
If your CBs show great footwork, you don't give the DBs coach credit for the scheme, but you credit him for good coaching.

Chilly's job was to scout pro and college teams, and find innovative ideas. Many are saying we have the most innovative offense in football. Would Reid have even known about a lot of these college concepts if Chilly didn't tell him about it? I would think if an outside consultant pointed you to a farming technique you hadn't considered before, and it worked, you'd give credit for that. You don't need that consultant to run your farm. But he'd deserve credit for the idea.

Well, he has everywhere else he's been. A lot of those concepts he was using with Vick.

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 08:28 PM
This tard has to Childress himself right. LOL

Who ****ing cares? And we now have a QB who can make the throws and anticipate. That’s probably the biggest difference. Oh and Patrick came from a spread offense

Considering Childress was shouting up & down about Wentz being the "holy grail" QB because he can run spread & pro style, it wouldn't surprise me if that helped plant the seed to Reid/Dorsey that a spread QB like Mahomes could succeed in the NFL. And if he lobbied for a spread QB, he probably also had a lot of ideas about what innovative concepts you could introduce with a "holy grail" QB. Of course Mahomes makes a huge difference. I'd bet because of Alex Smith's limitations we had a lot of these ideas brewing for years, but knew Alex wasn't the right QB to run the plays.

Buehler445
09-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Considering Childress was shouting up & down about Wentz being the "holy grail" QB because he can run spread & pro style, it wouldn't surprise me if that helped plant the seed to Reid/Dorsey that a spread QB like Mahomes could succeed in the NFL. And if he lobbied for a spread QB, he probably also had a lot of ideas about what innovative concepts you could introduce with a "holy grail" QB. Of course Mahomes makes a huge difference. I'd bet because of Alex Smith's limitations we had a lot of these ideas brewing for years, but knew Alex wasn't the right QB to run the plays.

Or.

Just spitballing here, but he might not be that good of... anything. He basically hasn't done fuckall since he was fired from Minnesota and bolted for an UPSTART league a MONTH after taking a job.

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Well, he has everywhere else he's been. A lot of those concepts he was using with Vick.

Reid is an offensive genius. Of course he is easily the biggest reason for our offense's innovation. But right now tons of people are saying we are THE model for how the spread and college concepts could work in the NFL. Not just good at it. The best.

I mean, people on this thread are calling Childress a joke and insisting he had virtually no influence on this offense. You don't think that's a little weird for the guy who was specifically asked to scout college spread offenses gets no credit for the Chiefs introducing a heavily college-influenced offense?

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Or.

Just spitballing here, but he might not be that good of... anything. He basically hasn't done ****all since he was fired from Minnesota and bolted for an UPSTART league a MONTH after taking a job.

After Andy Reid mastered the spread concepts, what use did he have for Chilly anymore? Certainly not to run an offense. Chilly can't run a team or an offense. That doesn't mean he didn't do a very good job at what he was specifically asked to do. Which had nothing to do with coaching.

Buehler445
09-12-2018, 08:50 PM
After Andy Reid mastered the spread concepts, what use did he have for Chilly anymore? Certainly not to run an offense. Chilly can't run a team or an offense. That doesn't mean he didn't do a very good job at what he was specifically asked to do. Which had nothing to do with coaching.

So your assertion is that it took him 5 years to get a grasp of college concepts?

I really don't really care enough to die on this hill, but I have a hard time buying he was a driving force for much.

-King-
09-12-2018, 09:11 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/09/10/the-chiefs-gave-us-a-peek-at-the-future-of-nfl-offenses/111299442/
"During his time on the Chiefs staff, Brad Childress may have had the most unique job of any NFL coach. His official title: Spread game analyst. His task: Track offensive trends showing up around all levels of the sport and helping to integrate them into the Chiefs offense."

It's way more than a guess. The guy specifically asked to study college spread concepts probably had a lot to do with KC incorporating college spread concepts into their offense.
But we saw Philly run spread and college concepts when Reid was there.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 09:14 PM
So your assertion is that it took him 5 years to get a grasp of college concepts?

I really don't really care enough to die on this hill, but I have a hard time buying he was a driving force for much.

Not at all. Imagine it only took a couple of years. After he was promoted to OC he was totally useless.

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 09:17 PM
But we saw Philly run spread and college concepts when Reid was there.
Posted via Mobile Device

His offense today is a hell of a lot more innovative today than it was then. Not that his old offense wasn't creative back then. But today we are considered by many to be the most innovative, and widely believed to be THE model of a college/NFL offense.

Buehler445
09-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Whatever you say man.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Full zilla activated...

chiefzilla1501
09-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Full zilla activated...

Good grief, you can't be this dense.

Andy Reid hired Childress to study the spread. You know what "spread analyst" means? It means analyzing the spread. Multiple articles said Reid specifically asked Childress to learn everything there is to know about college and high school spread. I'm sure Reid kept Childress in that highly specific role while ignoring for 3 years every single idea on the one thing he was paid for to study.

Meanwhile the Chiefs just ran an offense that featured NINETEEN college-inspired plays (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ses/111299442/) on Sunday. But no, the guy asked to analyze the spread and learn all about the college offense had no influence whatsoever on that. None. JFC.

TribalElder
09-12-2018, 11:33 PM
programatic non-fit

Chargem
09-13-2018, 06:29 AM
I just assumed a spread analyst would be looking for ways to make Andy a few extra bucks backing teams to cover the spread in Vegas.

chiefzilla1501
09-13-2018, 07:16 AM
I just assumed a spread analyst would be looking for ways to make Andy a few extra bucks backing teams to cover the spread in Vegas.

Possible it was to look into Andy Reid's food spread. Even for Andy that seems a little overpaid.

rabblerouser
09-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Good grief, you can't be this dense.

Andy Reid hired Childress to study the spread. You know what "spread analyst" means? It means analyzing the spread. Multiple articles said Reid specifically asked Childress to learn everything there is to know about college and high school spread. I'm sure Reid kept Childress in that highly specific role while ignoring for 3 years every single idea on the one thing he was paid for to study.

Meanwhile the Chiefs just ran an offense that featured NINETEEN college-inspired plays (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ses/111299442/) on Sunday. But no, the guy asked to analyze the spread and learn all about the college offense had no influence whatsoever on that. None. JFC.

And Chilly parlayed that into head coach of the Atlanta Alliance.

Good for Chilly.

tatorhog
09-13-2018, 07:59 AM
I. for one, am happy the ghost of Chilly still inspires this team to greatness.

chiefzilla1501
09-13-2018, 08:13 AM
And Chilly parlayed that into head coach of the Atlanta Alliance.

Good for Chilly.

I think chilly is out of the league because he wants to be a head coach or coordinator, and he sucks at that. He's also worthless now as a spread analyst because Reid's already figured out most of f it. So now teams just need to copycat Reid. He's outlived his usefulness in the NFL. The new league is actually a really good place for him.