PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Food savers

In58men
02-06-2018, 11:40 AM
I’ve learned quite a bit here when it comes to food gadgets such as; thermometers, Sous Vide, quality knive etc etc. So, to the fine folks here at CP which food saver do you recommend?

Fish
02-06-2018, 11:42 AM
I use a refrigerator.

raybec 4
02-06-2018, 11:44 AM
The freezer is good too, long term stuff.

gblowfish
02-06-2018, 11:47 AM
I have a food saver machine that vacuum packs food. It sucks out all the air and seals the food in little packages. Works good.

In58men
02-06-2018, 11:55 AM
I have a food saver machine that vacuum packs food. It sucks out all the air and seals the food in little packages. Works good.

That’s kinda what I’m looking for.

Buehler445
02-06-2018, 11:59 AM
I bought a cheapie off amazon on Black Friday a couple years ago. It pays for itself in meat if you buy in bulk very much.

We are 50 miles away from Sam’s so we load up and freeze it.

There are container options for soup and stuff.

We bought some generic bags and had a shitassload of trouble with them until we figured out that the textured side needs to to up (I think wife does most of it.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Sassy Squatch
02-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Stop cooking so much fucking food, fat fat.

srvy
02-06-2018, 12:01 PM
That’s kinda what I’m looking for.

Stay away from the food saver rechargeable portable vacuum pump I am on my third. They keep sending me a new one and I send the faulty back shipping payed so good customer service but shitty product. The plug in one is the way to go.

HemiEd
02-06-2018, 12:03 PM

We are on our second one. This one is so much better and easier to use than the old one.

This one is actually "Food Saver" brand and we got it at Sam's for about a buck and quarter.

It is really easy to use.

This is the one we have. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDRSCVF/ref=asc_df_B01MDRSCVF5361918/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01MDRSCVF&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198079985682&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14037694102422351522&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023792&hvtargid=pla-318510522893

KCUnited
02-06-2018, 12:03 PM
I like Food Saver.

Over Yonder
02-06-2018, 12:07 PM
I use a refrigerator.

You sir are a disgrace to mankind!! Refrigerators are intended for BEER!! :#

:D

Buehler445
02-06-2018, 12:42 PM
We are on our second one. This one is so much better and easier to use than the old one.

This one is actually "Food Saver" brand and we got it at Sam's for about a buck and quarter.

This is the one we have. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDRSCVF/ref=asc_df_B01MDRSCVF5361918/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01MDRSCVF&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198079985682&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14037694102422351522&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023792&hvtargid=pla-318510522893

Holy crap. Y’all are fancy. Mine is just a cheapie.

BlackHelicopters
02-06-2018, 12:43 PM
I never eat. Calories from vodka.

Red Beans
02-06-2018, 02:02 PM

We have one as well. It's great for the fresh fish fillets.

ptlyon
02-06-2018, 02:04 PM
I never eat. Calories from vodka.

I can just hear you getting fatter

Ming the Merciless
02-06-2018, 02:13 PM
I'm gonna throw out a 'nay' vote even though I am kind of on the fence about these things.....

they do work awesome BUT....

you really do have to be organized and probably have a large freezerr for it to be worth it though.

I actually found it isnt all that worth it , personally. We used to do this:

go to costco and stock up on stuff, sort of haphazardly based on what was a good deal and what we liked that was on sale or bulk (like steaks and whatnot, fish etc)

then we would come home, cut it all up into meal sized portions and vacuum seal it....

I found we had actually more waste and spent more money than just simply doing this:

we divide our refrigerator/freezer into like 7 sections. when we go to the store now, we plan ahead of time and get 7 meals....

then we freeze like 4 meals and keep 3 fresh to make in the next 3 days..and unfreeze the other 4 the day before...so nothing is frozen for more than 3-4 days and nothing sits in the freezer for months

What I have found is buying by the meal instead of buying the 'deal' and vaccum sealing things is better for us because food is fresher, we waste a ton less food, and we arent struggling to plan a meal around some frozen meat from a month ago that we forgot about...

If you have a large freezer in the garage or youre a hunter or butchering an animal...then YES a foodsaver is probably a good expenditure....but I find it to be a waste of storage space for the machine and all the bags.....and just more work and effort for little payoff

We go to the store once a week or so anyway because of fruit and veggies ...and we use an app called 'our groceries' or some shit....I dunno...

Its worth trying I guess but in the end I just felt the hassle was not worth it..the fridge and freezer stay cleaner and more organized too and knowing what you have and need is easier..and one less bulky appliance and not needing to take up space for more different kinds of bags..and less waste , i think.

DanBecky
02-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Threads like this are why Eagles fans think CP is boring.

Dartgod
02-06-2018, 02:16 PM
We've got a Foodsaver brand and use the shit out of it. Buy meat in bulk when its on sale and save $$$.

ptlyon
02-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Queue the part in Airplane! where they are showing Tupperware to the African natives

Dartgod
02-06-2018, 02:24 PM

This is the one we have. Got it as a Christmas gift a few years ago and it's worked well. It doesn't take up too much counter space either.

https://www.cayneshousewares.com/prodimages/32877-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Buehler445
02-06-2018, 02:51 PM
I'm gonna throw out a 'nay' vote even though I am kind of on the fence about these things.....

they do work awesome BUT....

you really do have to be organized and probably have a large freezerr for it to be worth it though.

I actually found it isnt all that worth it , personally. We used to do this:

go to costco and stock up on stuff, sort of haphazardly based on what was a good deal and what we liked that was on sale or bulk (like steaks and whatnot, fish etc)

then we would come home, cut it all up into meal sized portions and vacuum seal it....

I found we had actually more waste and spent more money than just simply doing this:

we divide our refrigerator/freezer into like 7 sections. when we go to the store now, we plan ahead of time and get 7 meals....

then we freeze like 4 meals and keep 3 fresh to make in the next 3 days..and unfreeze the other 4 the day before...so nothing is frozen for more than 3-4 days and nothing sits in the freezer for months

What I have found is buying by the meal instead of buying the 'deal' and vaccum sealing things is better for us because food is fresher, we waste a ton less food, and we arent struggling to plan a meal around some frozen meat from a month ago that we forgot about...

If you have a large freezer in the garage or youre a hunter or butchering an animal...then YES a foodsaver is probably a good expenditure....but I find it to be a waste of storage space for the machine and all the bags.....and just more work and effort for little payoff

We go to the store once a week or so anyway because of fruit and veggies ...and we use an app called 'our groceries' or some shit....I dunno...

Its worth trying I guess but in the end I just felt the hassle was not worth it..the fridge and freezer stay cleaner and more organized too and knowing what you have and need is easier..and one less bulky appliance and not needing to take up space for more different kinds of bags..and less waste , i think.

Meh. I just do meats. I just make an inventory sheet on my freezer and we cross shit off as we use it. It works. But I'm in a different place. I can't get to low priced groceries every week.

Ming the Merciless
02-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Meh. I just do meats. I just make an inventory sheet on my freezer and we cross shit off as we use it. It works. But I'm in a different place. I can't get to low priced groceries every week.

for sure man

i think it can and does work, if youre organized and thoughtful about it...

Its just that for us, the cons were heavier than the pros: bulky machine taking up space, boxes of different sized bags taking up space, having to do the extra work of buying bulk and portioning it / bagging it / sealing it....and then not really finding that it saved us anything much in the end because we probably wasted more than we saved in terms of time and food.

We live in not too huge of a town but we have 3 big grocery stores to choose from, and we are there once a week anyway buying fruit and veggies...

I can definitely see how if you were organized and planned well and dont mind spending extra time on it, or had a large freezer....how this could be good for some people....for sure..

gblowfish
02-06-2018, 03:09 PM
This is the one we have. Got it as a Christmas gift a few years ago and it's worked well. It doesn't take up too much counter space either.

https://www.cayneshousewares.com/prodimages/32877-DEFAULT-m.jpg

Mine looks kind of like this. It's black plastic. Fits up in the cabinet above my stove. I buy the generic bags to seal stuff. I do thing like buy a five pound tube of ground beef and cut it down into three or four packages. Last weekend my wife brought home a boneless ham; I cut it into fourths, cooked the first and then bagged the other three. I also do stuff like frozen chicken strips and stuff I don't want to get freezer burned. Since it pulls out all the air, the food stays in good condition for a longer time. I also just use it on meats, although you can do corn on the cob if you like.

gblowfish
02-06-2018, 03:11 PM

What? We're talking about sucking meat!

Stewie
02-06-2018, 03:17 PM
I have a cheap one and it's great. It's better if you have a deep freezer since frozen food isn't subjected to heating cycles of frost-free freezers.

threebag
02-06-2018, 03:20 PM
I have a food saver with all the containers. Works well.

HemiEd
02-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Holy crap. Y’all are fancy. Mine is just a cheapie.
The Mrs. got to the point she would put off using the cheapie. This one is so easy even I can do it and don't mind.

Lately I have been smoking several turkey breasts/turkeys then cutting the meat up into 1 lb. packages.

Of course when we make about any kind of big meat purchase, they are very handy.

HemiEd
02-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Meh. I just do meats. I just make an inventory sheet on my freezer and we cross shit off as we use it. It works. But I'm in a different place. I can't get to low priced groceries every week.You must have a chest freezer? You are really organized.

We have a fairly large upright freezer.

For us it is 15 miles to the nearest "walmarts" and an hour+ to Sams.

I have the freezer organized by Fish, fowl, pork and beef.

I don't want to plan meals a week ahead and have to go to the store so often.

It is nice to decide the day before what you are going to have tomorrow, or even that very morning.

Randallflagg
02-06-2018, 03:44 PM
I bought a "Food Saver" back in the 80s when they were being sold on late night TV. We have had one in our house ever since. Wouldn't be without one.

After hunting (Deer, Pheasant, Elk, etc) they are PERFECT for keeping everything from being freezer burnt. Additionally, we usually hit the COSTCO every so often and stock up on flank steak (Fajitas) and Burger. Food saver. Also, we buy huge bricks of cheese and (you guessed it) Food saver.

FlaChief58
02-06-2018, 03:57 PM
I have the Food Saver brand. Been using one for years for eveything from meat to coffee and even weed. I highly recommend getting one then start buying in bulk when you can get stuff on sale.

Fire Me Boy!
02-06-2018, 04:06 PM
I’ve had fairly poor luck. The FoodSavers I’ve had (3 or 4) have gone tits up around 1 year. About 18 months ago, I spent a little more on a Weston. I really liked it. But it’s tits up now.

I’m thinking of spending some tax return on a chamber vacuum.

Fire Me Boy!
02-06-2018, 04:08 PM
I’ve also learned there is a difference in freezer life between the bags. Brand bags are thicker and better able to hold the seal. Weston bags are the best of the lot, IME.

HemiEd
02-06-2018, 04:13 PM
I’ve had fairly poor luck. The FoodSavers I’ve had (3 or 4) have gone tits up around 1 year. About 18 months ago, I spent a little more on a Weston. I really liked it. But it’s tits up now.

I’m thinking of spending some tax return on a chamber vacuum.Holy crap, you must use the heck out of them.

I used to sell those chamber sealers for the electronics industry. Not sure which ones you are looking at but ours were around 5k. http://amerivacs.com/product

Fire Me Boy!
02-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Holy crap, you must use the heck out of them.

I used to sell those chamber sealers for the electronics industry. Not sure which ones you are looking at but ours were around 5k. http://amerivacs.com/product

I really don’t use them a ton. I definitely use it, but not more than normal, I’d guess.

Boon
02-06-2018, 05:45 PM
I have a Food Saver brand and use it to package sausage when we make it. Did 35lbs in December.

SAUTO
02-06-2018, 05:51 PM

I have that exact one. Works great

HemiEd
02-06-2018, 06:01 PM
I really don’t use them a ton. I definitely use it, but not more than normal, I’d guess.

As many as you have gone through, in my opinion, you are using them more than normal. :D

srvy
02-06-2018, 07:37 PM
On vacuum sealers I have been through 2 food savers I got at Sams Club wore them out. I use mostly for game. After those gave out I bought a cheap Nesco with coupons from defunct Gander Mountain catalog for 20 bucks and its been a beast wont quit. My best buddy and hunting partner has a farm near Skidmore Mo I buy a 1/4 of beef from him occationally. He wraps it in cellophane and freezer paper and I think it hold up better than vacuum bags.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/f7d978fc-884f-4caa-a98e-527893cc756b/svn/black-nesco-food-vacuum-sealers-vs-02-64_1000.jpg

srvy
02-06-2018, 07:46 PM
stay away from this.

http://pickyourown.org/productpics/freshsaversystem.jpg

In58men
02-06-2018, 07:59 PM
I really don’t buy meat in bulk. There are times I do, so it’ll be useful in that aspect. I would see myself using this primarily for Sous Vide purposes.

Sorce
02-06-2018, 09:08 PM
I have a foodsaver model they don't make anymore, it works well. Instead of buying already frozen chicken I can buy it fresh on sale and seal it individually myself.

I also use it for sous vide from frozen, however if I bought something fresh to sous vide chances are I probably use a gallon ziplock and the immersion method.

I also use it when I make something like smoked pulled pork and bag it into 1 lb bags and seal and freeze. I also grind my own burger meat so I use it for that as well.

Buehler445
02-06-2018, 09:45 PM
You must have a chest freezer? You are really organized.

We have a fairly large upright freezer.

For us it is 15 miles to the nearest "walmarts" and an hour+ to Sams.

I have the freezer organized by Fish, fowl, pork and beef.

I don't want to plan meals a week ahead and have to go to the store so often.

It is nice to decide the day before what you are going to have tomorrow, or even that very morning.

Nah. I have an upright. It’s just fucking FULL. And I’m 50 miles from a Walmart too. Or dillons. Or a reasonably priced grocery store. There is a decently stocked store in town. But there is only one. And they act like it.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 07:23 AM
I really don’t buy meat in bulk. There are times I do, so it’ll be useful in that aspect. I would see myself using this primarily for Sous Vide purposes.
Ok, two of you mentioned Sous Vide cooking, so I had to google it.

Very interesting. I am curious though as to the dangers of actually cooking in plastic? I have seen warnings on that.

I have developed a reheat method for smoked ribs/pork that is similar. Smoke a bunch, then divide it up in meal portions, vacuum sealed and frozen.

To reheat, I bring a pan of water to almost boil, then let the bag of smoked meat sit it in for a while. Don't want to cook it more, just get it warmed back up.

Fire Me Boy!
02-07-2018, 07:29 AM
Ok, two of you mentioned Sous Vide cooking, so I had to google it.

Very interesting. I am curious though as to the dangers of actually cooking in plastic? I have seen warnings on that.

I have developed a reheat method for smoked ribs/pork that is similar. Smoke a bunch, then divide it up in meal portions, vacuum sealed and frozen.

To reheat, I bring a pan of water to almost boil, then let the bag of smoked meat sit it in for a while. Don't want to cook it more, just get it warmed back up.

The bags are BPA free and safe for the temps. Sous vide is awesome. And since anything can be pasteurized at 130F with enough time, you can safely prepare chicken and pork at less than USDA guidelines.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 07:39 AM
The bags are BPA free and safe for the temps. Sous vide is awesome. And since anything can be pasteurized at 130F with enough time, you can safely prepare chicken and pork at less than USDA guidelines.

Thanks, great info! I am off to learning something new again. Very interested in trying it with some Tuna to start with.
Had it last night and seared it.

Fire Me Boy!
02-07-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks, great info! I am off to learning something new again. Very interested in trying it with some Tuna to start with.
Had it last night and seared it.

I'm not a tuna fan personally, but fish is one of the things IMO that sous vide does best! I love salmon that way.

And pork at 135-140F and chicken breast at 145F are the best pork and chicken you'll ever have.

BucEyedPea
02-07-2018, 07:50 AM
I salt everything and keep it 6 feet below ground.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 07:54 AM
I'm not a tuna fan personally, but fish is one of the things IMO that sous vide does best! I love salmon that way.

And pork at 135-140F and chicken breast at 145F are the best pork and chicken you'll ever have.So you are basically heating up water with 110 volt portable heater?

Is this what I need? https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

My Mrs. prefers salmon as well, so I made her salmon, more Tuna for me. :D

Fire Me Boy!
02-07-2018, 07:58 AM
So you are basically heating up water with 110 volt portable heater?

Is this what I need? https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

My Mrs. prefers salmon as well, so I made her salmon, more Tuna for me. :D

Yep, that's a good unit. I have the original Anova One and an old Sous Vide Supremes. I use the Anova a lot more than the SVS.