PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink -- Fried Rice - let's decide how we like it and share it with the others.

Simply Red
02-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Hi,

How are you all liking your fried rice? Do you add meats? which ones? Any veggies or 'just how it comes?' Which sauces do you add? Are you one to use a fork or chopsticks? Do you eat your fortune cookie or simply grasp it's message?

Thank you for your time with this? I had a nice rendition of chicken fried rice today w/ a nice soy and went fork, since I ingested it at the office.

I'm curious of your takes too, though!

88TG88
02-06-2018, 08:02 PM
How often do you do fork instead of chop sticks ?

Simply Red
02-06-2018, 08:04 PM
How often do you do fork instead of chop sticks ?

If I'm out on the town having asian food I'll defenitely do chopsticks!

banecat
02-06-2018, 08:06 PM
I have it with fish. I microwave it with the fish. But only at work

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Asian rice cooked in a rice cooker.

Fry the rice with Low Sodium Soyo, fried egg, green onion and a little bacon.

Profit.

Fish
02-06-2018, 08:17 PM

https://i.imgur.com/uL1oJXV.gif

srvy
02-06-2018, 08:19 PM
My Filipino wife makes a bad ass fried rice in a big ass huge hand hammered aluminum wok. I think she wants me to get Alzheimer. She uses pork and shrimp and her favorite sauces at the Filipino market. Like all Filipinos and many Asians she uses her fingers for rice. I am a fork guy but she has Asian soup spoons when I really want to shovel.

Good to see you back SR.

listopencil
02-06-2018, 08:19 PM
Wow. There are shit ton of options and I like a lot of them. Egg seems to be a must. I really enjoy fried cabbage that has been shredded up as an add in. I prefer pork or chicken as the meat.

cdcox
02-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Mixture of white and brown rice, made a day ahead.
Pork.
Eggs.
Peas, carrots, celery.
Seasoned with soy and sesame oil.
Chopsticks.

threebag
02-06-2018, 09:04 PM
If you are in Wichita try FRIED RICE. It's a little carry-out off Pawnee and Oliver. I get the "Special Special". It's fried rice (chicken, pork, ham and shrimp fried rice, egg roll with a soda. I order the crab rangoon also. Best meal deal in Wichita.

Pork Daily is rice, egg roll and a soda $4.25
Chicken Daily is rice, egg roll and soda $4.25
Shrimp Daily is rice, egg roll and soda $4.75
Special Special is rice, egg roll and soda $6.00
Crab Rangoon (6) for $1.75

The guy who runs it has a "Soup Nazism" about him at times. Very great people.

Molitoth
02-06-2018, 09:05 PM
With any meat and soy sauce. Don't care, it's all good.

Msmith
02-06-2018, 09:16 PM
If you watch God of Cookery, link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8_Mk3-sZsQ, Stephen Chow will tell you that rice should be cooked the night before, so the rice would not contain too much moisture.

bricks
02-06-2018, 09:19 PM
I boil my gluten free rice in a pot

roast chicken breast in the oven seasoned with oregano, garlic and lemon juice

I drain organic chick peas in a strainer

I melt butter in a sauce pan and cook it up with onions at a low heat

Mix all these together when they’re all said and done. Tastes great!

headsnap
02-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Pork fried rice, add a little soy sauce. I'm a cretin that uses a fork. Only read the fortune after the cookie fully eaten.

Easy 6
I do a pretty mean chicken version, gotta cook the rice and cool in the fridge overnight though

But my favorite is the roast pork version found at most Chinese joints... peas, carrot, onion, bean sprouts and a scramble egg

My local place does a mean House Special version with roast pork, chicken and shrimp that kicks ass as well... glad to see ya back Red, was beginning to wonder what happened to you

DaneMcCloud

Gross

Pasta Little Brioni
02-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Don't eat the stuff. Sorry.

bricks
02-07-2018, 12:07 AM
Gross

I agree to disagree

And **** you

eDave
02-07-2018, 12:08 AM
P.F. Changs. Always chicken.

AssEaterChief
02-07-2018, 12:14 AM
Spam FTW

Dunit35
02-07-2018, 12:18 AM
My wife throws in bacon and sliced sausage. Our girls will eat the hell out of it.

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 12:30 AM
P.F. Changs. Always chicken.

hmm - will have to give it a whirl!

Baby Lee
02-07-2018, 12:39 AM
If I'm eating out, I skip it.

If I make it at home, I go Nasi Goreng style. Friend's mom makes it for get togethers. This is pretty close to what she told me.

The shrimp paste and chili give it a spicy umami. If you like those base flavors, all the various vegetables and shrimp and all aren't mandatory. Sometimes I just make it with some onion and chicken breast [or even ground beef] if I don't have a lot on hand. [you do need the garlic ginger and soy, though. Of course]

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/indonesian-fried-rice-nasi-goreng-61614

cooper barrett
02-07-2018, 12:54 AM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL with a fork!

cooper barrett
02-07-2018, 01:01 AM
Gross

Is that a French dish?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/foodservicedirect.com/productimages/OTF616831S.jpg

Originally Posted by bricks View Post

cooper barrett
02-07-2018, 01:07 AM
hmm - will have to give it a whirl!

SR Good to see you return, I guess you got the internet bill paid?> ROFLROFLROFL

"Flried" rice when done well is great, if not, my dog likes it. When dining out the oil they used will kill you.

Pepe Silvia
02-07-2018, 01:14 AM
Shrimp fried rice is my fav.

Buns
02-07-2018, 01:52 AM
Lately I've been roasting the shit out of some salmon. Like the easiest thing to make but it's been killer. I make spam and rice a lot. Decided to try my hand at fried rice, diced up the spam, cooked the old rice up with some tamari and frozen peas and carrots.

Then I added the salmon. Spam and salmon, makes Spalmon fried rice.

carcosa
02-07-2018, 02:09 AM
Hi,

How are you all liking your fried rice? Do you add meats? which ones? Any veggies or 'just how it comes?' Which sauces do you add? Are you one to use a fork or chopsticks? Do you eat your fortune cookie or simply grasp it's message?

Thank you for your time with this? I had a nice rendition of chicken fried rice today w/ a nice soy and went fork, since I ingested it at the office.

Thanks for coming back
To ChiefsSplent tot com!!!

Baby Lee
02-07-2018, 02:17 AM
Lately I've been roasting the shit out of some salmon. Like the easiest thing to make but it's been killer. I make spam and rice a lot. Decided to try my hand at fried rice, diced up the spam, cooked the old rice up with some tamari and frozen peas and carrots.

Then I added the salmon. Spam and salmon, makes Spalmon fried rice.

https://media.giphy.com/media/RHJJ7AM0RLM5O/giphy.gif

Who am I kidding? I do like Spam.

Eureka
02-07-2018, 03:07 AM
These past few years being with my Chinese girlfriend I’ve had more Chinese food in 2 years then my previous 35 years. I like to cook them “American food” (her families quote). Tonight we had a fried rice that had some kind of shrimp in it. Also had some kind of green stuff that looks like green onion in it. I don’t ask I just listen to her mother “eat” she says.

Fire Me Boy!
02-07-2018, 07:22 AM
I don't usually use meat in my fried rice. I start with a little peanut oil and quickly saute some onion, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes (I'm loving calabrian right now). Then I add day-old rice. Once that's heated, I make a well in the center and add eggs. Then add frozen peas and diced carrots. Once heated, I'll douse everything with low-sodium soy and oyster sauce, occasionally some fish sauce if I want to add a little umami boost. I finish with cashews for more crunch and green onion. Sometimes I'll use just a touch of toasted sesame oil.

If I do use meat, I'll velvet some chicken or use shrimp. I have used homemade bacon before, and that was pretty incredible.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 07:29 AM
Mixture of white and brown rice, made a day ahead.
Pork.
Eggs.
Peas, carrots, celery.
Seasoned with soy and sesame oil.
Chopsticks.

Very similar.

I use brown rice, with shrimp, bamboo shoots, water chesnuts, peas, carrots, egg, sesame oil, low sodium Kikoman and fork.

Fire Me Boy!
02-07-2018, 07:30 AM
Very similar.

I use brown rice, with shrimp, bamboo shoots, water chesnuts, peas, carrots, egg, sesame oil, low sodium Kikoman and fork.

Oh good call. I do love some water chestnuts and baby corns sometimes. ANd I forgot that I will occasionally finish with a touch of rice wine vinegar or squeeze of lemon to brighten things up.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Oh good call. I do love some water chestnuts and baby corns sometimes. ANd I forgot that I will occasionally finish with a touch of rice wine vinegar or squeeze of lemon to brighten things up.

I love those baby corns! I haven't found them available in the small cans though, like the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Will have to look when we go to the big city.

Also, you mentioned earlier, a touch of sesame oil. Great point!

I have found it is really easy to get too much and over power the dish. Also, it can get too hot and have a nasty taint.:eek:

Fire Me Boy!
02-07-2018, 07:49 AM
I love those baby corns! I haven't found them available in the small cans though, like the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Will have to look when we go to the big city.

Also, you mentioned earlier, a touch of sesame oil. Great point!

I have found it is really easy to get too much and over power the dish. Also, it can get too hot and have a nasty taint.:eek:

All I can find are the 14.5 oz. cans. Too much waste, so I don't usually buy them.

And yeah, sesame oil is powerful stuff. A little goes a long way. And you "nasty taint" comment is why I used it at the end.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 07:57 AM
All I can find are the 14.5 oz. cans. Too much waste, so I don't usually buy them.

And yeah, sesame oil is powerful stuff. A little goes a long way. And you "nasty taint" comment is why I used it at the end.

:thumb:

gotcha, sounds like we have had the same experience.

cooper barrett
02-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Sesame oil is not a cooking oil, low flashpoint. and absorbs flavors when heated, has very short life and must be out of light, preferably refrigerated. Maybe that's why it has an ass taste to it?

Smaller amounts of baby corn come pickled in glass bottles.

Lzen
02-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Shrimp fried rice. Usually, it has the eggs, carrots, and whatever green veggies in there.

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 09:59 AM
SR Good to see you return, I guess you got the internet bill paid?> ROFLROFLROFL

"Flried" rice when done well is great, if not, my dog likes it. When dining out the oil they used will kill you.

:)thanks.

Fish
02-07-2018, 10:03 AM
FYI... Anybody putting peas in their rice can fuck right off.

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 10:20 AM

Oh my gosh!

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 10:29 AM
FYI... Anybody putting peas in their rice can **** right off.

Thats like 80% or more of Chinese restuarants

NewChief
02-07-2018, 10:31 AM
BTW, we've been playing with a "fried rice" that's actually baked cauliflower. It's pretty awesome.

KCUnited
02-07-2018, 10:35 AM
BTW, we've been playing with a "fried rice" that's actually baked cauliflower. It's pretty awesome.

We do something similar with the bagged riced cauliflower from Trader Joe's. I really like it.

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 10:37 AM
We do something similar with the bagged riced cauliflower from Trader Joe's. I really like it.

I like your new avatar.

KCUnited
02-07-2018, 10:39 AM
I like your new avatar.

Thank you!

FYI I got a Jets deep dish last weekend. Very comforting pizza.

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Thank you!

Oh I like it pretty well. Good to know you tried it out!

Shaid
02-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Make Jasmine rice in a rice cooker. Get a bit of oil in your pan/wok and fry a few tablespoons of garlic for 15-20 seconds, then add your meat. Generally we do pork or chicken. Add in your veggies, generally just a bag of frozen carrots and peas. Throw in an egg at the end and mix a bit before tossing in the rice and mixing together with your soy sauce.
I have a friend from Malaysia who is famous around the office for her potluck food that she brings in. I told her I made better fried rice than her, she saw it as a challenge. So one day we each made it for the team. I destroyed her. She just said, "I can't believe I got beat by a white dude!" Lol, I did learn to make it from my sister's mother-in-law who grew up in China. She makes some damn good broccoli beef too.

carcosa
02-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Oh I like it pretty well. Good to know you tried it out!

htangks

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 12:55 PM
htangks

I'm taking out a pint of beef fried rice - I am awaiting a pic to come through - I'll share it soon!! this place is good.

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 12:57 PM
I will skip dinner - this isn't that good for you - but here it is!!!

http://i66.tinypic.com/23sytty.jpg

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Had I remembered to get plates, this illustration would be more thorough, but if you have a keen eye you can notice the nice even brown on the carrot cube along the side-wall - this is all that you need to know to realize you're dealing w/ someone who knows how to saute a nice fried rice, properly.

banecat
02-07-2018, 03:51 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL with a fork!

I forgot about that part. Spork actually

cooper barrett
02-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Thank you!

Comforting? As in, if you like bread comforting? Sorry when I describe pizza "comforting" doesn't come to mind.:D:D:D

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 07:50 PM
This thread has me wanting to make a version I havent made in quite a while

Used to get it at a discount Thai joint in Springfield, Il... the ingredients are super simple, its really just rice, chicken, pleeenty of hot pepper flake, sweet onion sliced lengthwise, garlic and peeled/thickly sliced cucumber

You could get a wad of this so big you could barely choke it down for 5 and change back in the early 2000s... its very lightly sweetened, so I add about a tablespoon of sugar during the final few stirs at highest possible heat

The light crunchy cucumber is what brings it all together, it cools the pepper flake heat, and adds a satisfying crunch as well as giving all the other flavors a certain something I cant even really explain

Its awesome, and done with a minimum of ingredients... but dont be shy with the cucumber, you'll want some with every bite

AssEaterChief
02-07-2018, 07:56 PM
The light crunchy cucumber is what brings it all together, it cools the pepper flake heat, and adds a satisfying crunch as well as giving all the other flavors a certain something I cant even really explain

Its awesome, and done with a minimum of ingredients... but dont be shy with the cucumber, you'll want some with every bite

I would never have thought to add cucumber but I think you sold me on trying it.

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 08:00 PM
I would never have thought to add cucumber but I think you sold me on trying it.

Thais definitely have their own spin on things, I'm guessing the spicier it is... the more you'll love the cukes

IMPORTANT EDIT* do not cook the cucumber! those slices are meant to be served cold and crisp on the side as a garnish

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 08:37 PM
This thread has me wanting to make a version I havent made in quite a while

Used to get it at a discount Thai joint in Springfield, Il... the ingredients are super simple, its really just rice, chicken, pleeenty of hot pepper flake, sweet onion sliced lengthwise, garlic and peeled/thickly sliced cucumber

You could get a wad of this so big you could barely choke it down for 5 and change back in the early 2000s... its very lightly sweetened, so I add about a tablespoon of sugar during the final few stirs at highest possible heat

I'll be frank - I'd like to try your cucumber.

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 08:38 PM
I forgot about that part. Spork actually

Sporks are for Taco Bell

Baby Lee
02-07-2018, 08:46 PM

It's 2018, if you like him just ask him out.

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 10:00 PM

LMAO its big, green, and full of seeds... wait

tooge
02-07-2018, 10:18 PM
I've been watching carbs. Tried fried cauliflower rice. Pretty damn nice facsimile of real rice. Riced cauliflower, chili oil, sesame oil, fry it, add egg, peas, shredded carrots, and chicken or shrimp and some soy. Pretty damn good

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 10:20 PM
I've been watching carbs. Tried fried cauliflower rice. Pretty damn nice facsimile of real rice. Riced cauliflower, chili oil, sesame oil, fry it, add egg, peas, shredded carrots, and chicken or shrimp and some soy. Pretty damn good

I definitely will I'm up to a 36 inch waist any help is appreciated. My mother is seriously a cook of a full blooded Italian 60 year old w/ a lifetime of kitchen experience, I need any help to get rid of my winter coat!

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 10:22 PM
also Tooge I'm very familiar w/ the Cauli rice, it's a nice shake to the original - no doubt about it!

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys for your input! This has been a fun thread - I love these nice entrees we discuss - after the camera scans Arrowhead, I'd never have guessed we'd have so may culinary aficionados - oh wait, yes I would! :P seriously though - the food threads are always fun - KC knows good food.

tooge
02-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I made it and asked both teenaged kids to try my " fried" rice". Both said they lived it and ate it. Bout half way through I told them it wasn't rice. There are lots of substitutes s that fall very short of the real thing. Cauliflower rice isn't one of yhem

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I made it and asked both teenaged kids to try my " fried" rice". Both said they lived it and ate it. Bout half way through I told them it wasn't rice. There are lots of substitutes s that fall very short of the real thing. Cauliflower rice isn't one of yhem

yes I will make this my go-to when I'm shedding my winter coat in about two weeks, I don't want to be the fat boy that wears his tee shirt at the pool. Man it's easy to gain weight at this age. :(

tooge
02-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Yeah no shit. I just turned 51. The old metabolism ain't what it used to be. Tell u what though. Hit the weights, avoid carbs, and you will be just fine

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 10:55 PM
You guys and your cauliflower rice, hell I'd have to drive at least an hour for that minimum

Regular rice will do just fine for me, never was one for the anti-carb thing anyway... just work out hard enough, long enough and the carbs burn up fueling your workout

The results are probably a bit slower than no carb, but I'm damn sure more satisfied and happier along the way

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 10:58 PM
You guys and your cauliflower rice, hell I'd have to drive at least an hour for that minimum

Regular rice will do just fine for me, never was one for the anti-carb thing anyway... just work out hard enough, long enough and the carbs burn up fueling your workout

The results are probably a bit slower than no carb, but I'm damn sure more satisfied and happier along the way

just shut up.

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 11:01 PM
just shut up.

Punch me in the face!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aqN4sGaLn10" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 11:12 PM
Punch me in the face!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aqN4sGaLn10" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would estimate you're either two years older or younger than me.

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 11:13 PM
Never mind Scott Free you're a yr. older - Fuck fuckin' you!

Simply Red
02-07-2018, 11:14 PM
haha - Jk

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 11:36 PM
haha - Jk

CAULIFLOWER RICE IS FOR PANTY WEARING PUSSIES

LOL I KID BUT DO I?

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-07-2018, 11:56 PM
Hi,

First off, let me say that it is incredibly nice of you to stop by and allow us this wonderful opportunity to share our thoughts and views on the divine subject of fried rice. That's nice! And by George, you seem nice!
Welcome back!

( In case you missed it, the greatest era of Chiefs football is about to begin and our wonderful and seemingly nice new GM finally sandblasted the last major, dead-weight barnacle off of the hull of our storied-yet prior imperfect vessel, allowing us to move forward, presenting a modern NFL offense which will rape many faces, nicely of course! )

Ah yes, Red; the rice. Indeed the rice. I am a fan of the wild rice. While most folk commonly refer to Asian-style fried rice, I myself prefer a skillet-fried helping of southern, wild rice. A little bit of butter and onion blend so perfectly with the grain, it is in fact my favorite rice of all. That Uncle Ben is a marvelous fellow!

How have you been, Red? Haven't seen you around much, though I acknowledge that the off season is generally the most dull and often quarrelsome time of the year at CP. Whatever the case, I hope that you are doing well and that your wonderful and nice mother is treating you to one of her fabulous home-cooked meals from time to time!

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 12:05 AM
First off, let me say that it is incredibly nice of you to stop by and allow us this wonderful opportunity to share our thoughts and views on the divine subject of fried rice. That's nice! And by George, you seem nice!
Welcome back!

( In case you missed it, the greatest era of Chiefs football is about to begin and our wonderful and seemingly nice new GM finally sandblasted the last major, dead-weight barnacle off of the hull of our storied-yet prior imperfect vessel, allowing us to move forward, presenting a modern NFL offense which will rape many faces, nicely of course! )

Ah yes, Red; the rice. Indeed the rice. I am a fan of the wild rice. While most folk commonly refer to Asian-style fried rice, I myself prefer a skillet-fried helping of southern, wild rice. A little bit of butter and onion blend so perfectly with the grain, it is in fact my favorite rice of all. That Uncle Ben is a marvelous fellow!

How have you been, Red? Haven't seen you around much, though I acknowledge that the off season is generally the most dull and often quarrelsome time of the year at CP. Whatever the case, I hope that you are doing well and that your wonderful and nice mother is treating you to one of her fabulous home-cooked meals from time to time!

Oh gosh what a kind kind gesture, I'm truly flattered!

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 12:07 AM
I'm really glad you like wild rice, I like that it's unorthodox and veers from the topic, somewhat. That must have been an arduous grind & I like your pureness with regards to this! thangs you!

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 12:12 AM
my mother has reached new levels of culinary genius and thank you, I'm glad you've gathered that. I may as well have a full blooded Italian 'seasoned' chef inviting me over for meals. 'Tis the reason I need to come back down to a 34" waist. Any mother who offers splendid homemade gnocchi and marsala is a reason to diet! She's surpassed me by at least a chefs notch. hahaha

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 12:15 AM

LOL I KID BUT DO I?

i don't really care, I just ingested some rice, REAL rice.

Easy 6
02-08-2018, 12:20 AM
i don't really care, I just ingested some rice, REAL rice.

There ya go, only real rice can put hair on your chest :D

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 12:22 AM
There ya go, only real rice can put hair on your chest :D

Gosh I need the opposite!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-08-2018, 12:25 AM
I'm really glad you like wild rice, I like that it's unorthodox and veers from the topic, somewhat. That must have been an arduous grind & I like your pureness with regards to this! thangs you!

Always a pleasure to share with one of CP's most legendary and congenial fellows!

my mother has reached new levels of culinary genius and thank you, I'm glad you've gathered that. I may as well have a full blooded Italian 'seasoned' chef inviting me over for meals. 'Tis the reason I need to come back down to a 34" waist. Any mother who offers splendid homemade gnocchi and marsala is a reason to diet! She's surpassed me by at least a chefs notch. hahaha

The pictures that you post from time to time are truly mouthwatering. I envy you GREATLY in this regard. Please tell that wonderful, culinary master that I would prefer one of her( or your )meals over ANY local restaurant were I ever to visit.

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 12:33 AM
Always a pleasure to share with one of CP's most legendary and congenial fellows!

The pictures that you post from time to time are truly mouthwatering. I envy you GREATLY in this regard. Please tell that wonderful, culinary master that I would prefer one of her( or your )meals over ANY local restaurant were I ever to visit.

I love the comments! Gosh I wish they weren't true - but they are - she's divine. She's reached new levels! You don't even know the half. I'm not sure if that's sad or better for you, hahahaha!

Easy 6
02-08-2018, 12:34 AM
Gosh I need the opposite!

Dont be a metro, real women love a man with some hair on him

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 12:36 AM
Dont be a metro, real women love a man with some hair on him

They're IN LUCK!!!!

Easy 6
02-08-2018, 12:41 AM
They're IN LUCK!!!!

Between your hirsute male form, and killer fried rice... those bitches should come runnin :D

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 01:55 AM
Between your hirsute male form, and killer fried rice... those bitches should come runnin :D

they always do - AWAY from me!

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 01:55 AM
which is fine - ironically I play well 'solo'

cooper barrett
02-08-2018, 02:22 AM
This fried rice "fried lice", cauliflower rice, or "mock rice" has taken a strange turn. It's hard to tell who's talking Chinese food and who needs to get a reservation at Motel 6. Surely someone has missed SR, maybe a little too much.

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 08:01 AM
I wouldn't stay there. lol

NewChief
02-08-2018, 08:36 AM

Buy cauliflower. Break it down with knife. Throw in food processor. Pulse a few times. Voila. Cauliflower rice!

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Buy cauliflower. Break it down with knife. Throw in food processor. Pulse a few times. Voila. Cauliflower rice!

yas that's correct

Fire Me Boy!
02-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Something I've been doing lately that I learned on Beat Bobby Flay (because who wouldn't want to go all Bobby Brown on Bobby Flay): Toward the end of the cook, I'll smash everything down with the spatula and let the rice on the bottom get crispy. Awesome textural addition, kinda like the socarrat of paella.

Frosty
02-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Our go-to fried rice recipe uses shrimp, chicken, egg, whatever green vegetables (usually peas and cabbage), basmati rice, and a sauce based on this recipe (https://importfood.com/recipes/rice-noodles/recipe/181-fried-rice-with-prawns-and-egg-khao-pad-goong-sai-khai). It's based off of Thai street vendors' cooking and uses soy sauce, thai chili powder, and ketchup (of all things). Somewhere along the way, we also started adding oyster sauce. It sounds weird but it's amazing.

Another one we eat a lot of is called "eggroll in a bowl" but it's basically fried rice. It uses ground pork, cabbage, rice and a sauce made with ginger, thick soy sauce, Golden Mountain sauce and that nectar of the gods - sweet chilli sauce (https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/e019e69e-32cb-46b5-9fc6-944be9ed0556_1.32ba25a52cb0a4077d32447c27606ee3.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF).

banecat
02-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Sporks are for Taco Bell

Taco Bell don't have no sushi. But they do have Baja Blast

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 02:37 PM

yes

srvy
02-08-2018, 03:24 PM

Good stuff. The nacho fries and sauce suck pretty bad.

eDave
02-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Something I've been doing lately that I learned on Beat Bobby Flay (because who wouldn't want to go all Bobby Brown on Bobby Flay): Toward the end of the cook, I'll smash everything down with the spatula and let the rice on the bottom get crispy. Awesome textural addition, kinda like the socarrat of paella.

I get it like that at the teppanyaki.

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Good stuff. The nacho fries and sauce suck pretty bad.

oh I haven't tried those.

Simply Red
02-08-2018, 05:20 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IBHx9uwCy3w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cooper barrett
02-08-2018, 07:45 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IBHx9uwCy3w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't make it to 60 seconds. Did I miss anything?

SAUTO
02-08-2018, 08:08 PM

HIGH FUCKING FIVE

Baby Lee
02-09-2018, 07:30 AM
Tangentially related to Fried Rice, but more importantly a wonderful slice of Americana

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2NMrqGHr5zE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCUnited
02-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Tangentially related to Fried Rice, but more importantly a wonderful slice of Americana

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2NMrqGHr5zE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll be trying this next week. Goes on the menu one week a year at a local place. Fried chicken ramen:

Pimento cheese Dashi
Fried chicken
Egg noodles
Candied jalapenos

https://i.imgur.com/hyRp6kP.jpg?1

Simply Red
02-09-2018, 08:53 AM

This is pretty interesting - thanks for sharing.

ChiefGator
02-09-2018, 10:03 AM
I use either Jasmine rice or yellow rice as the base. Yeah, cook ahead when I can.

For meat I usually use chicken and shrimp. I added kernel corn and peas frozen and half an onion. Season while it cooks with sesame and olive oil, and soy sauce. If I have some bok choy or cabbage I might add it as well. Usually saute broccoli separately and then serve on top, if I add that.

I do a couple things differently (I think):
(1) cook it for a pretty long time, maybe 35 minutes, on a mid-high heat. I like to get some of the rice nice and crispy.
(2) I add cayenne and white pepper and some chili powder. Don't know why.. just always did that and I like the extra spice.

Love fried rice with gyoza or peking chicken.

Easy 6
02-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Just to be clear about the cucumbers with spicy fried rice, they're to be served on the side cold and crispy... not cooked

patteeu
02-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Just to be clear about the cucumbers with spicy fried rice, they're to be served on the side cold and crispy... not cooked

Do you add them in at the end or do you eat them as a side dish?

Easy 6
02-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Do you add them in at the end or do you eat them as a side dish?

The way the Thai place did it, and I emulate, is just kinda line them around your pile of rice cold and crispy

Abba-Dabba
02-09-2018, 01:59 PM
I don't use cold rice anymore. Fresh steamed rice, warm not cold. Having the rice sit overnight can bring in stale flavors. Fresh green onions, yellow onion minced, eggs, garlic minced, frozen peas and carrots. Occasionally I will also add broccoli, zucchini, and corn if I want a more of a vegetable fried rice. I rarely use soy sauce and substitute Ponzu sauce instead, but just a little. If I do use soy I use Kishibori Shoyu as the flavor is perfect. Also salt, little pepper, some chicken base. Finish with fresh bean sprouts just before taking out of wok. Protein can be anything.

ptlyon
02-09-2018, 02:21 PM
I don't use cold rice anymore. Fresh steamed rice, warm not cold. Having the rice sit overnight can bring in stale flavors. Fresh green onions, yellow onion minced, eggs, garlic minced, frozen peas and carrots. Occasionally I will also add broccoli, zucchini, and corn if I want a more of a vegetable fried rice. I rarely use soy sauce and substitute Ponzu sauce instead, but just a little. If I do use soy I use Kishibori Shoyu as the flavor is perfect. Also salt, little pepper, some chicken base. Finish with fresh bean sprouts just before taking out of wok. Protein can be anything.

Where do you get your ponzu? Or do you make it?

Simply Red
02-09-2018, 02:37 PM

thank you

Stewie
02-09-2018, 02:53 PM
I love fried rice. I never order it at a restaurant, it's too easy to make at home.

My recipe:

Leftover Basmati rice that's been in the fridge for a few days to dehydrate.

Hot Wok or pan. It really doesn't need to be a Wok for fried rice.

Add Canola oil until it really shimmers.

Add rice and coat with hot oil.

Stir constantly until rice is golden and really fragrant.

Add soy sauce and stir to coat.

Add veggies. I prefer carrots and peas.

When veggies are cooked, make a well in the middle of the pan and add sesame oil.

Crack an egg into the well and let it cook for a few seconds.

Stir the cooking egg and sesame oil into the rice and veggies.

Enjoy.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Anyone got an instant pot recipe for fried rice yet?

cooper barrett
02-09-2018, 08:34 PM
I treat "fried lice" the same as I do jambalaya, If it's for me all the little bits of frozen bbq, ham, chicken, turkey, fish, crisper contents (whatever) go in. If for company it's pork, chicken and shrimp and baby fucking corn:shake: but your recipe is a great guide.

"Fried lice" is an art not a science so anything goes. I was taught "fried lice" by Wm Ho who owned the Chinese restaurant (formally Chinese Gardens" in Waldo in the 80's.

I love fried rice. I never order it at a restaurant, it's too easy to make at home.

My recipe:

Leftover Basmati rice that's been in the fridge for a few days to dehydrate.

Hot Wok or pan. It really doesn't need to be a Wok for fried rice.

Add Canola oil until it really shimmers.

Add rice and coat with hot oil.

Stir constantly until rice is golden and really fragrant.

Add soy sauce and stir to coat.

Add veggies. I prefer carrots and peas.

When veggies are cooked, make a well in the middle of the pan and add sesame oil.

Crack an egg into the well and let it cook for a few seconds.

Stir the cooking egg and sesame oil into the rice and veggies.

Enjoy.

cooper barrett
02-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Where do you get your ponzu? Or do you make it?

It's common in large markets but Jet and Walmart have generics.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcROP9dMVGUKqe79y6Z_cqSrjYn9thckht4rnMBIdAg5hg7CCwFXMlLd2qKE8iivcFThXrWO46m3&usqp=CAE

ptlyon
02-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Thanks coop. I've seen the kikkoman online but can't find it in our local stores. Even posted a question about it here some time ago with no responses.

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Did someone mention they're tried PF Chang's fried rice? Can we talk more about that?

cooper barrett
02-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Thanks coop. I've seen the kikkoman online but can't find it in our local stores. Even posted a question about it here some time ago with no responses.

I use it as it's less than 1/2 salt and flavor is better too. Outside of Chinese markets I have never seen it in stores.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/e44f862e-6cf7-4e75-80e6-bb87484b1e3a_1.c766d087c923268776a4ebf2c833e228.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

<$2

Fire Me Boy!
02-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Did someone mention they're tried PF Chang's fried rice? Can we talk more about that?

Yes.

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Yes.

I'll need more info please.

Fire Me Boy!
02-10-2018, 03:11 PM
I'll need more info please.

Oh, I was just saying, yes, we could talk about it. Don't think I've ever had it.

Here's what their menu says:

Fried Rice

https://mediaprodpfchangs.blob.core.windows.net/menuimg/PF-CHANGS-CHANGS-FRIED-RICE-lg.jpg

Wok-tossed with egg, carrots, bean sprouts, green onion

Varieties:
Vegetable
Chicken
Beef
Pork
Shrimp
Combo

They also have a shimp and lobster fried rice that looks pretty tasty.

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Oh, I was just saying, yes, we could talk about it. Don't think I've ever had it.

Fried Rice

https://mediaprodpfchangs.blob.core.windows.net/menuimg/PF-CHANGS-CHANGS-FRIED-RICE-lg.jpg

Varieties:
Vegetable
Chicken
Beef
Pork
Shrimp
Combo

Bump this like Thursday or so - I'll go there and do a review thread or bump this one.

cooper barrett
02-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Bump this like Thursday or so - I'll go there and do a review thread or bump this one.

It just isn't the same as straight out of the box. My local shop tried trays, customers wanted boxes.:hmmm::hmmm:

My local's is really good, uses good oil, and on weekends has fresh lobster they add to fried rice for an extra buck.

The combo of whatever you want is same as Yangzhou or Young's price.

23. Roast Pork Fried RicePt:$4.75Qt:$8.00
24. Chicken Fried RicePt:$4.75Qt:$8.00
25. Beef Fried RicePt:$5.00Qt:$8.25
26. Shrimp Fried RicePt:$5.25Qt:$8.50
27. Vegetable Fried RicePt:$5.00Qt:$8.00
28. Young Chow Fried RicePt:$5.50Qt:$8.50
28a. Crab Meat Fried RicePt:$4.75Qt:$7.75
28b. Plain Fried RicePt:$3.25Qt:$4.75

listopencil
02-10-2018, 06:44 PM

LOL I KID BUT DO I?

Yeah, fuck cauliflower. It's just broccoli in disguise.

listopencil
02-10-2018, 06:49 PM

Fried Rice

Varieties:
Vegetable
Chicken
Beef
Pork
Shrimp
Combo

Wait a minute, is that a bone in your fried rice? On the lower left?

https://i.imgur.com/R3a48ll.jpg

MahiMike
02-10-2018, 07:21 PM

What the?

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Wait a minute, is that a bone in your fried rice? On the lower left?

https://i.imgur.com/R3a48ll.jpg

no it's not even his - it's PF Changs and no - but it DOES look like one - it's a sliver of sauteed chicken. :)

listopencil
02-10-2018, 07:31 PM
no it's not even his - it's PF Changs and no - but it DOES look like one - it's a sliver of sauteed chicken. :)

It's OK. Also I lied. I really like cauliflower. A couple of Easters ago I made a dish with cauliflower, broccoli, rice, and a cheesy sauce. It was really good.

Delano
02-10-2018, 07:39 PM
One thing I know with absolute certainty is that when it comes to bean sprouts, the fatter the better. You may need to locate a sketchy Asian market to source yourself some fresh, fat sprouts.

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Yeah, **** cauliflower. It's just broccoli in disguise.

LMAO never thought about it like that

I have NO plans to ever use that as a rice substitute, if its not broke and all...

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 07:59 PM
One thing I know with absolute certainty is that when it comes to bean sprouts, the fatter the better. You may need to locate a sketchy Asian market to source yourself some fresh, fat sprouts.

oh yes - I like the idea of bean sprouts to fried rice - I normally put it in my stir-fry - let me grab a pic of pork stir fry I made a couple years ago, off of FB - BRB

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 08:03 PM
- Hot and sweet Pork stir-fry - w/ nice tenderized pork cutlets, diced, little carrot shreds, yellow onion, white mushroom, broccoli - nothing fancy - just good, solid food!

http://i68.tinypic.com/j8fjwl.jpg

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 08:05 PM

Fried Rice

Varieties:
Vegetable
Chicken
Beef
Pork
Shrimp
Combo

I know its not your pic, but this whole thing is bugging the shit outta me

One... the rice looks cold, and dry, and doesnt have nearly enough veggies

Two, spritzing the green onions with water to make them look fresh is pissing me off

Three, dont give me your four little green onion slices on the side like 'oh I just got done cooking and havent cleaned up yet!'

I'm on to you, you photographer bastard!

cooper barrett
02-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Fried Rice

Varieties:
Vegetable
Chicken
Beef
Pork
Shrimp
Combo

https://s13.postimg.org/hh43e9o6v/PF-_CHANGS-_CHANGS-_FRIED-_RICE-lg.jpg

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 08:32 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/2ez7fxz.jpg

Delano
02-10-2018, 09:50 PM
- Hot and sweet Pork stir-fry - w/ nice tenderized pork cutlets, diced, little carrot shreds, yellow onion, white mushroom, broccoli - nothing fancy - just good, solid food!

Can you please share your techniques for cutting the carrots?

This time of year, whether we are cooking Asian or any ethnic food, I feel it's very important to incoporate a variety of root vegetables. Just today I ate a fair amount of celery root, sweet potatoes, onions and carrots all roasted with chili powder and topped with some poached eggs.

Frosty
02-10-2018, 10:20 PM
It's not quite fried rice but speaking of PF Chang's, they recently completely ruined one of my favorites there, the street noodles. It tastes basically like an Italian dish now. There's even freakin' tomatoes in it.

https://mediaprodpfchangs.blob.core.windows.net/menuimg/PF-CHANGS-GF-SINGAPORE-STREET-NOODLES-lg.jpg

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 10:30 PM

This time of year, whether we are cooking Asian or any ethnic food, I feel it's very important to incoporate a variety of root vegetables. Just today I ate a fair amount of celery root, sweet potatoes, onions and carrots all roasted with chili powder and topped with some poached eggs.

I don't remember what I did here - seems I'd bought carrot matchsticks. However - If I were to cut them - I'd go lengthwise and half the whole carrot and then again - so essentially - quartering them, again, lengthwise - then I'd do a bias cut and concentrate on not going wider than 1/8 inch or thereabouts. Google bias cut carrots and image it - it'd be like that - only halved. Hopefully that's not too difficult to visualize.

Baby Lee
02-10-2018, 10:34 PM

If we're getting into spicy meats over rice, I gotta renew my kados for Korean Beef

If you have fresh ginger and garlic, along with a decent soy, it's the best ratio of flavor to ease of preparation out there.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/korean-beef-and-rice

https://therecipecritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/koreanbeefcrop.png

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 10:36 PM
If we're getting into spicy meats over rice, I gotta renew my kados for Korean Beef

If you have fresh ginger and garlic, along with a decent soy, it's the best ratio of flavor to ease of preparation out there.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/korean-beef-and-rice

https://therecipecritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/koreanbeefcrop.png

I'd eat that.

Delano
02-10-2018, 10:38 PM
I don't remember what I did here - seems I'd bought carrot matchsticks. However - If I were to cut them - I'd go lengthwise and half the whole carrot and then again - so essentially - quartering them, again, lengthwise - then I'd do a bias cut and concentrate on not going wider than 1/8 inch or thereabouts. Google bias cut carrots and image it - it'd be like that - only halved. Hopefully that's not too difficult to visualize.

I appreciate this.

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 10:45 PM
I appreciate this.

No problem Delano - always a rare treat to see your posting.

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 10:54 PM

Different approaches and techniques etc, but for quick cooks at high heat in Chinese food, I just use a veggie peeler on carrots

Dig into each shave a little bit, and create a good pile of them, then just chop up the slivers into something a bit smaller

Baby Lee
02-10-2018, 11:20 PM
Anyone still use the mandoline?

I have good knives, but if I'm preparing more than a cup or so of any root veg, I break out the mandoline.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81MM%2BEZyGwS._SL1500_.jpg

Simply Red
02-10-2018, 11:48 PM

I have good knives, but if I'm preparing more than a cup or so of any root veg, I break out the mandoline.

yes they're great to have

Fire Me Boy!
02-11-2018, 05:10 AM
It's not quite fried rice but speaking of PF Chang's, they recently completely ruined one of my favorites there, the street noodles. It tastes basically like an Italian dish now. There's even freakin' tomatoes in it.

https://mediaprodpfchangs.blob.core.windows.net/menuimg/PF-CHANGS-GF-SINGAPORE-STREET-NOODLES-lg.jpg

Does it have soy gravy in it?

cooper barrett
02-11-2018, 05:44 AM
yes they're great to have

just not that one....using a knife for doing a volume of root veggies turns fun into work. If I have any opportunity to break out the mandolin, I do.

I do not own a food processor just a little POS that goes on my stick blender it great for grinding dried ghost peppers. If I baked maybe I'd have one again but I don't do quantities anymore.

Good, sharp knives are a must.

SAUTO
02-11-2018, 11:31 AM

Raises hand

Fire Me Boy!
02-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Ever used a v-slicer? I used to have a mandoline - fancy, expensive French thing - but had better results with my v-slicer. YMMV, just curious.

Baby Lee
02-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Ever used a v-slicer? I used to have a mandoline - fancy, expensive French thing - but had better results with my v-slicer. YMMV, just curious.

The one pictured above is the one I have.

Cuisinart Stainless

I also have a Cuisinart Heavy Duty food processor, a lighter duty but still full-sized Braun processor, and a little Magic Chef processor for chopped onion/chive, etc.

A lot of overlap, but I got the mini-processor a long time ago as a gift, the Cuisinart as a practical giveaway on closeout at Home Depot [originally $125, on closeout for $20], and the Braun a neighbor was giving away when they moved. I actually use it most because it has a bread hook and a batter whisk.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/613wpdokOoL._SL1000_.jpg

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/ab88f911-d31f-47c4-a200-983055d349e3_1.9d6b8102814935ef8e4929e52a3441b8.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

http://img0109o.psstatic.com/161044725_magic-chef-mini-food-processor-jk-357.jpg

Simply Red
02-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Good, sharp knives are a must.

I am about as good with a knife as possible, I used one for years and years - prep cooking will help your skills quicker than anything else. What others consider labor is second nature to me. Not trying to brag about it, but it's become what it is. But yes - Sharp, good quality knives are a must, I absolutely agree.

Frosty
02-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Does it have soy gravy in it?

More of a Parmesan flavor. Definitely doesn't taste like Chinese food.

cooper barrett
02-11-2018, 12:21 PM
I am about as good with a knife as possible, I used one for years and years - prep cooking will help your skills quicker than anything else. What others consider labor is second nature to me. Not trying to brag about it, but it's become what it is. But yes - Sharp, good quality knives are a must, I absolutely agree.

I flipped burgers for a few weeks in HS, before getting a nice union job at a grocery store, other than that never commercially cooked. I did formal dinners for 100 at a time but never got anything for that other than a round of applause. I was around commercial kitchens, just didn't work in them. So I guess you let Ambrosi grind your knives to nothing or did you do the rental?

patteeu
02-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Tell us about the time you defused the terrorist bomb and saved the city, Uncle Cooper!

cooper barrett
02-11-2018, 12:42 PM
OK , Mr Orthopristis Chrysoptera, as long as you promise not to grunt when you laugh at the funny parts.

Simply Red
02-11-2018, 12:48 PM
I flipped burgers for a few weeks in HS, before getting a nice union job at a grocery store, other than that never commercially cooked. I did formal dinners for 100 at a time but never got anything for that other than a round of applause. I was around commercial kitchens, just didn't work in them. So I guess you let Ambrosi grind your knives to nothing or did you do the rental?

a little of both - usually they were outsourced to Atlanta Knife, IIRC.

JakeF
02-11-2018, 03:36 PM
I love fried rice.

I want the rice kind of crispy with extra egg and spicy bits of meat.

banecat
02-11-2018, 06:42 PM
I tried some from this Happy Fun Palace of Asian Cuisine last night. They put raisins in it. It was really good. They added a lot to it. I never thought that I'd like raisins in friend rice. Not outside of breakfast rice anyway

cooper barrett
02-19-2018, 06:16 PM
Anyone got an instant pot recipe for fried rice yet?

FYI

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/27750119_10211073889991822_1722370530144342171_n.jpg?oh=ca547114691ea442f4c9f7ca8483b172&oe=5B03F3E4