PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Browns offered 2 Second RD picks for Alex?

Couch-Potato
02-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Rumor is that the Browns offered 2 second round picks for Alex....thoughts?

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/2/6/16979506/how-much-do-the-chiefs-value-kendall-fuller-an-exercise-to-find-out

Sassy Squatch
02-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Meh. I sincerely doubt it was 33 and 35 and that's the only deal I would take over 78 and Fuller.

Scorp
02-07-2018, 08:57 AM
My thought is I am just happy to see Alice depart Kansas City.

Red Dawg
02-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Fuller is the better option over draft picks.

King_Chief_Fan
02-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Meh. I sincerely doubt it was 33 and 35 and that's the only deal I would take over 78 and Fuller.

Yup

Fish
02-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I'd rather have Fuller and a 3rds.

mnchiefsguy
02-07-2018, 09:08 AM
If it was 33 and 35, I might be disappointed...but I bet it was the lower 2nd rounders that they have.

Fuller is first round talent at CB. I think the Chiefs got a great return.

Couch-Potato
02-07-2018, 09:13 AM
I like the Fuller trade as well, he's got a couple years under his belt and is a talented young player. Can't expect rookies to step in and take over starting jobs as if they were always plug'n play.

InChiefsHeaven
02-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Could also be that Alex had some input and basically said "I ain't going to Cleveland fellas...". The organization has a lot of respect for him, it's possible he said anywhere but Cleveland and they respected that.

loochy
02-07-2018, 09:20 AM
In light of this new info, I'm still not disappointed in what we got. Fuller is already proven. Picks are not.

Marcellus
02-07-2018, 09:21 AM
He wouldn't sign a long term deal with them. Who cares. Move on.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-07-2018, 10:15 AM
We made the right trade between the two offers. Fuller has proven he's not a bust so would grade as a late 1 early 2 pick.

mnchiefsguy
02-07-2018, 10:18 AM
Could also be that Alex had some input and basically said "I ain't going to Cleveland fellas...". The organization has a lot of respect for him, it's possible he said anywhere but Cleveland and they respected that.

They respected it only because they were able to get Washington to up the ante and throw in Fuller.

If Washington sticks to just a 3rd, and Cleveland offers 2 seconds.....Alex goes to Cleveland.

The Chiefs were not going to get hosed just because the respect Smith. The two deals were similar, so sure, respect Smith and send him to Washington, but only because the deals were close, and Veach believed that Fuller could lock down half the field.

KChiefs1
02-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Rumor is that the Browns offered 2 second round picks for Alex....thoughts?

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/2/6/16979506/how-much-do-the-chiefs-value-kendall-fuller-an-exercise-to-find-out

Fuller is a proven 1st round talent so I'll take him plus a 3rd pick over 2 unproven players.

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Veach took the better deal, moving on...

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Very interesting, but like the other posts, I like the Fuller acquisition.

For some reason, I don't have a very good taste in my mouth when it comes to Chief's record on 2nd rounders.

Of course, Tanoh Kapassagnon could still turn out great, but
remember when they had such a stellar record on 2nd round picks?:cuss:

Dexter Mccluster, Javier Arenas, Turk McBride, Bernard Pollard(helped acquire Cassel), Jr. Siavii, Kris Wilson, Eddie Freeman, William Bartee, Mike Cloud, Kevin Lockett, Reggie Tongue, Donnel Bennett, and Matt Blundin to name a few.

Oh, and of course the 2nd rounder traded for Matt Cassel and Alex Smith, or was it two?

Pasta Little Brioni
02-07-2018, 10:35 AM
And? Fuller is worth that himself.

Direckshun
02-07-2018, 11:00 AM
I would have taken the two 2nds.

BleedingRed
02-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Same, but I bet the deal was based on the fact that Alex Smith would have to agree to a new contract. He could have told Chiefs fuck that......

Frosty
02-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Dexter Mccluster, Javier Arenas, Turk McBride, Bernard Pollard(helped acquire Cassel), Jr. Siavii, Kris Wilson, Eddie Freeman, William Bartee, Mike Cloud, Kevin Lockett, Reggie Tongue, Donnel Bennett, and Matt Blundin to name a few.

Hey now. Tongue was a quality player and played in the league for ten years. You can't expect much more that that for a 2nd round pick.

The rest of those are a bag of fail though, so - yeah.

chiefzilla1501
02-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Fuller is even better than a late first rounder. He's cheaper and he's more of a guaranteed success. Quite honestly, even without the third round pick, I think we got a steal and am stunned Washington made the move.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 11:10 AM

So glad it wasn't your choice.

TambaBerry
02-07-2018, 11:14 AM
I look at it like we got our entire trade for mahomes back. I dont give a fuck about 2 second round picks in this shitty draft

Pasta Little Brioni
02-07-2018, 11:22 AM

The Dumbfuck Voyager, folks

Grim
02-07-2018, 11:27 AM
"It’s been rumored the Cleveland Browns offered two second-round picks for Smith, so, for the purpose of this exercise, let’s assume that to be true."

It's Arrowhead Pride. It's safe to assume that the rumor started in the writer's head.

penchief
02-07-2018, 11:30 AM
I think this deal bodes well for Veach as a GM. He looked at the bigger picture and filled a glaring need with an ascending young player that has already proven his worth.

Fuller is clearly a first round talent and still as young as a lot of players in the upcoming draft. I have no problem penciling Fuller in as our first round pick this year. Veach essentially recouped that which we paid to move up for Mahomes.

The Ragland and Fuller deals leave me feeling optimistic about Veach's ability to evaluate talent and his potential to draft well.

Chiefnj2
02-07-2018, 11:31 AM
The story out of Cleveland was a 2nd round pick. Not multiple and not both of the early picks.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_offered_chiefs_one_of_t.html

Chief Roundup
02-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Denver offered a 2cd and Talib for Smith. I like the upside of Fuller. But that would have been tempting.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

MMXcalibur
02-07-2018, 11:53 AM
We took the far better deal.
Veach is killin’ it.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Hey now. Tongue was a quality player and played in the league for ten years. You can't expect much more that that for a 2nd round pick.

The rest of those are a bag of fail though, so - yeah.

My bad, good call. I remember now how upset I was when he wasn't retained.

The Franchise
02-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Denver offered a 2cd and Talib for Smith. I like the upside of Fuller. But that would have been tempting.

From some reports.....they didn't.

In58men
02-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Rumors are just rumors.

Nothing to see here.

prhom
02-07-2018, 12:00 PM
I think you have to look at Fuller as worth more than a first, in terms of the value. We got a guy who has shown to not be a bust, and comparable talent-wise to a first rounder. He is also less expensive than a first rounder, and has multiple years left on a cheap contract. Add to that the fact that CB is a position of dire need and he eclipses the value of a first round pick for me. What are the odds that we’d have a CB we really like available at whatever pick we revived? Then there’s still the risk they are a bust. There’s so much to be happy with here that it’s hard to imagine getting anything in return for Alex that would be a better outcome.

saphojunkie
02-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Again, the deal didn't go through, because Alex refused to sign a long term deal with them.

I think you have to take the two high seconds over Fuller and the third, though. That's damn close to two first round draft picks.

You have to believe that Fuller is a guaranteed better player than you would get at any position with either of those picks. That's a lot of faith to put in a guy, but that's why you trust the scouts.

It's moot, though, because that wasn't the deal, and Alex would have blocked it, anyway.

Personally, I'm happy as shit with the deal they got.

Easy 6
02-07-2018, 12:05 PM
I think you have to look at Fuller as worth more than a first, in terms of the value. We got a guy who has shown to not be a bust, and comparable talent-wise to a first rounder. He is also less expensive than a first rounder, and has multiple years left on a cheap contract. Add to that the fact that CB is a position of dire need and he eclipses the value of a first round pick for me. What are the odds that we’d have a CB we really like available at whatever pick we revived? Then there’s still the risk they are a bust. There’s so much to be happy with here that it’s hard to imagine getting anything in return for Alex that would be a better outcome.

All of this, we got a young AND cheap proven talent... thats much better than rolling the dice on a rookie

Veach came out of this trade smelling like a rose

hometeam
02-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Its like a schrodingers trade offer. Cleveland could have offered two firsts. All trade deals like this are contingent on a new contract, Alex wasnt going to sign with the Browns so it doesnt matter what they offered.

saphojunkie
02-07-2018, 12:39 PM
If only there were some old saying about having a bird in your hand, we might be able to figure out what the best scenario is.

The Franchise
02-07-2018, 12:40 PM
I don't know if it comes down to "Alex didn't want to sign a long term deal with the Browns". The reports that I'm seeing are that "The Browns didn't want to give a long term deal to Smith".

RealSNR
02-07-2018, 01:09 PM
When I saw it was Fuller, I said, "That'll do, Veach. That'll do."

It is a perfect trade. Only way it could have worked better is if we got a higher pick, but a 3rd is plenty.

We are SUCH a better team after this deal

Red Dawg
02-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Smith made it clear that he wanted no part of the Browns.

Otter
02-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Water under the bridge. I'm highly content with Fuller, Pat starting, and a another 3rd rounder to boot.

Marcellus
02-07-2018, 01:39 PM

In case anyone was still wondering if the Chiefs did the right thing here....wonder no longer.

Couch-Potato
02-07-2018, 01:43 PM

Whoa! You are correct sir....These trade rumors heating up a bit.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-broncos-offered-aqib-talib-second-round-pick-for-alex-smith/ar-BBIxbO6

We passed because Talib is mentioned of be released anyway.

Couch-Potato
02-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Wondering Which "6 Teams" were interested in Alex?

Kiimo
02-07-2018, 01:57 PM
I bet the Jets, Cardinals, Browns, Broncos, Dolphins, Bills

The Franchise
02-07-2018, 02:13 PM
My guess would be the Bills, Broncos, Browns, Redskins, Jaguars and Cardinals.

Lzen
02-07-2018, 02:14 PM

For some reason, I don't have a very good taste in my mouth when it comes to Chief's record on 2nd rounders.

Oh, and of course the 2nd rounder traded for Matt Cassel and Alex Smith, or was it two?

How about we look at the recent years.

2011 - Rodney Hudson
2012 - Jeff Allen
2015 - Mitch Morse
2016 - Chris Jones

Manila-Chief
02-07-2018, 02:30 PM
I think this deal bodes well for Veach as a GM. He looked at the bigger picture and filled a glaring need with an ascending young player that has already proven his worth.

Fuller is clearly a first round talent and still as young as a lot of players in the upcoming draft. I have no problem penciling Fuller in as our first round pick this year. Veach essentially recouped that which we paid to move up for Mahomes.

The Ragland and Fuller deals leave me feeling optimistic about Veach's ability to evaluate talent and his potential to draft well.

Another issue may have been that Veach was a little skiddish about doing a deal with his ole boss ... especially since he got a great deal for Smith!

Scorp: "My thought is I am just happy to see Alice depart Kansas City."

This!!! After Reid failed to upgrade his defense ... I was afraid he would want to bring Smith back ... maybe with a reworked contract.

On the other hand ... I think none of this will really matter because Reid is not a championship coach! 19 years of failure (only coached in 1 S.B. and lost it) ... and the evidence in K.C. of only one playoff win. That's spells failure to me. I know Hunt said the past season was a success but that tells me he is a failure and fans of the Chiefs are in for more disappointment. Compare Reid to Doug Pederson who was able to lead his team to a championship in only his 2nd. year of coaching.

Yep, I'll watch this next season because Pat just may make the difference!!!

CrowbarMan
02-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Two Cleveland 2nd round picks would be worth 4 third round picks, so anyone who says that the Redskins deal was better is crazy. The 33rd and 35th pick for the 75 th pick and a good slot corner do not compare.

It's been reported that Alex didn't want to go to Cleveland and be a bridge QB, so Washington won when they agreed to a new deal. A win for both sides.

Moving on.

Fish
02-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Fuller is hardly just a "Good slot corner." He's be the starter opposite Peters on opening day. The comparisons are perfectly valid.

Buckweath
02-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Two Cleveland 2nd round picks would be worth 4 third round picks, so anyone who says that the Redskins deal was better is crazy. The 33rd and 35th pick for the 75 th pick and a good slot corner do not compare.

It's been reported that Alex didn't want to go to Cleveland and be a bridge QB, so Washington won when they agreed to a new deal. A win for both sides.

Moving on.

Why would you mention how much high 2nd round picks are worth in terms of 3d round picks? Because Fuller was drafted in the 3rd round? It doesn't make sense.

Red Dawg
02-07-2018, 04:39 PM
We need defense. Fuller is proven to be better than gambling in the draft.

Kiimo
02-07-2018, 04:49 PM

Moving on.

What kind of assclown gimmick are you trying to run on here?

Kiimo
02-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Two things I forgot: One, how much hatred I have in my heart for Bartee.

Two, singing "Hey! Hey! You! You! Get off of Mike Cloud!"

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2018, 05:21 PM

This is dumb as fuck.

The Chiefs not only got a 3rd round pick, they received a 22 year old player, who's among the best, if not the best, at his position in the entire NFL.

Draft picks are nice but they're a guarantee of absolutely nothing.

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Two things I forgot: One, how much hatred I have in my heart for Bartee.

Two, singing "Hey! Hey! You! You! Get off of Mike Cloud!"

It's folly to compare the scouting process of the 90's and early 2000's to the scouting processes of 2018.

Beside the fact that there is far more information available today on players, the players themselves have further separated themselves from players of earlier eras due to weight and speed training, nutrition and coaching.

Players in major programs in Pro Style offenses and defenses are easier to project at the next level and in most cases, the NFL and its players, through camps, high school and college film, are familiar with future NFLer's as early as age 12.

Now, those things can't predict success 100% but the info helps GM's and scouts far more than the past.

Best22
02-07-2018, 05:34 PM

Moving on.

The 199th pick has won 5 Superbowls

Yet KC just traded their first round pick quarterback :eek:

Bewbies
02-07-2018, 05:37 PM
A 3rd round pick and one of the best CB's in the NFL who is only 22 is a TON to give up. We did well.

BWillie
02-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Think about if they re-drafted. Fuller would be like the #20th pick in the 1st round. So essentially you got a 1st and a 3rd, and a 1st that is almost guaranteed to produce.

OnTheWarpath15
02-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Who the fuck are we getting in the draft that is as solid as Fuller?

Sassy Squatch
02-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Think about if they re-drafted. Fuller would be like the #20th pick in the 1st round. So essentially you got a 1st and a 3rd, and a 1st that is almost guaranteed to produce.
Said before that even in that case I'd think long and hard but still lean Fuller.

HemiEd
02-07-2018, 06:01 PM
How about we look at the recent years.

2011 - Rodney Hudson
2012 - Jeff Allen
2015 - Mitch Morse
2016 - Chris Jones

Great point, thus I used the word "remember".

Yeah, two of those guys are still on the roster. One is often injured, hopefully it doesn't linger, and the other one hopefully recovers quickly from the one he sustained at the end of this season.

No question, it has been better than it was for many years. But the second round record still sucks.

ct
02-07-2018, 06:06 PM
I look at it like we got our entire trade for mahomes back. I dont give a **** about 2 second round picks in this shitty draft

thumbs up!

ignore the inadvertent thumbs down.

jaa1025
02-07-2018, 06:33 PM
If Veech and CO viewed Fuller as a legitimate #2 CB opposite of Peters then this is a better deal than 2 of Cleveland's #2 picks. You likely aren't going to get a CB of Fuller's potential and current skill level in the 2nd round. Yes, it is possible but it's unlikely.

notorious
02-07-2018, 06:39 PM
They must not have valued this year's talent.

Fansy the Famous Bard
02-07-2018, 06:45 PM
I would have taken Fuller without the 3rd round pick, even.

BigRedChief
02-07-2018, 06:49 PM
Fuller is the better option over draft picks.This. Draft picks may work out or not. We know Fueller is a starting CB. I’ll take that all day every day.

prhom
02-07-2018, 06:54 PM
They must not have valued this year's talent.

It would seem they didn’t like this year’s FA CB pool. I think Veach needed a CB so badly that he wasn’t willing to gamble that we’d get one he liked in the draft. I’d rather be in a position to take BPA with our 2nd and have the CB situation largely taken care of. We have other needs to be sure but Veach HAD to do something about CB2. We probably would have had to overpay for lesser CB talent in free agency if he didn’t swing this trade.

Kiimo
02-07-2018, 06:55 PM
Hell we may even get his brother, too.

rico
02-07-2018, 07:04 PM

Great post, man.

prhom
02-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Great post, man.

Thank you!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Fuller is the better option over draft picks.

This. Nothing against Veach, I'm VERY confident in his abilities, but the proven, high ceiling DB to go with Peters and the rest of that crew is an absolute slam-dunk in exchange for the likes of ASS"TGG"11*.

* "Thank God Gone"

I have only one remaining, wistful wish for dear ol' ASS:

Before he retires, let him PLEASE serve a season or two as an inbred Donkey. To observe his former team, the superior, modern NFL franchise whom he led through purgatory for 5 seasons, COMPLETELY destroying what's left of him gives me an erotic sensation that not even Threetard and his magical Truck Stop Lips could begin to match in terms full-throttle sensuality... :)