PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink How have we not talked about spaghetti before?

Pages : 1 [2]

listopencil
02-10-2018, 09:56 PM
FMB has it nailed with the rigatoni over spaghetti. I'll never go back.

Eh, I don't know. I really don't like pasta unless it's thin with a sauce or stuffed. Bow tie is about as far as I'll go.

listopencil
02-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Eh, I don't know. I really don't like pasta unless it's thin with a sauce or stuffed. Bow tie is about as far as I'll go.

I looked it up. I guess it's farfelle from the Italian word for butterfly.

Baby Lee
02-10-2018, 10:29 PM
I looked it up. I guess it's farfelle from the Italian word for butterfly.

farfalle

listopencil
02-10-2018, 11:13 PM
farfalle

Yeah, I had multiple windows open and I wasn't paying attention. It's farfalle.

Baby Lee
02-11-2018, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I had multiple windows open and I wasn't paying attention. It's farfalle.

I'm sure there's a 'far fall' dad joke in there, so it's not a complete loss. ;)

In58men
02-13-2018, 04:14 PM
I was thinking about some dinner ideas and you guys gone thinking. The smell of holy trinity cooking really brings out the comfort and coziness of a household. I think I may need more garlic.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180213/6136437cec031784b308ace383adeec0.jpg

PS the iPhone X camera is fucking legit.

eDave
02-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Farfalle is the best noodle. I find it holds the most gravy.

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Farfalle is the best noodle. I find it holds the most gravy.

I have a hard time agreeing that farfalle is a noodle....

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2018, 04:27 PM
I’m making carbonara tonight with my black pepper bacon. Rigatoni with garlic and bacon, with a creamy oil and egg yolk gravy.

SuperChief
02-13-2018, 04:45 PM
I’m making carbonara tonight with my black pepper bacon. Rigatoni with garlic and bacon, with a creamy oil and egg yolk gravy.

Semi-related. I'm making a chicken parm tomorrow w/ my special lady friend - is any noodle besides spaghetti sacrilege for this dish?

KCUnited
02-13-2018, 04:51 PM
What's everyones go-to fermented gravy to pair with spaghetti? Hearty Cab? Merlot?

sedated
02-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Semi-related. I'm making a chicken parm tomorrow w/ my special lady friend - is any noodle besides spaghetti sacrilege for this dish?

Is any noodle sacrilege in any pasta dish? Different shapes might help with certain functions, but I can't imagine a dish being inedible if a different noodle is used.

BTW, with chicken parm I'd try a bow-tie/farfalle or penne-style. Hate dealing with long noodles and big chunks of chicken

Easy 6
02-13-2018, 05:02 PM
What's everyones go-to fermented gravy to pair with spaghetti? Hearty Cab? Merlot?

I prefer to use a lightly sweet Merlot, but any red will do in a pinch

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2018, 05:05 PM
Is any noodle sacrilege in any pasta dish? Different shapes might help with certain functions, but I can't imagine a dish being inedible if a different noodle is used.

BTW, with chicken parm I'd try a bow-tie/farfalle or penne-style. Hate dealing with long noodles and big chunks of chicken

Chicken Parm is about the only time I kinda like angel hair.

TimBone
02-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Farfalle is the best noodle. I find it holds the most gravy.I have a hard time agreeing that farfalle is a noodle....Oh shit.

SAPHO WE NEED A RULING!

TimBone
02-13-2018, 06:49 PM
I'm not drinking any fucking merlot.

Easy 6
02-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Oh shit.

SAPHO WE NEED A RULING!

Semolina wheat is meant to be served in a formless blob, topped with a single half cooked tomato, ONE (not two!) rotten basil leaf... and NOTHING MORE, you worthless plebes!/sappho

Easy 6
02-13-2018, 07:53 PM
I was thinking about some dinner ideas and you guys gone thinking. The smell of holy trinity cooking really brings out the comfort and coziness of a household. I think I may need more garlic.

PS the iPhone X camera is ****ing legit.

Love that fat pile of garlic, as Pasquale Carpino always said... you can never have too much garlic

But as someone who very often used that preminced jarred stuff, it needs to be said that that stuff is waaay different than freshly smacked up garlic cloves

Dont get me wrong, I've used that stuff frequently so I'm not snobbing you... but theres just something about that jarred stuff, pretty sure the problem is that its just too strong... so many times I've used it only to say 'oh lawd, went to heavy on the garlic!'

Regular garlic is almost like a shallot compared to that jarred stuff IMO, not knocking ya... but maybe just encouraging you to use real garlic, I switched back up and find it MUCH better

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Love that fat pile of garlic, as Pasquale Carpino always said... you can never have too much garlic

But as someone who very often used that preminced jarred stuff, it needs to be said that that stuff is waaay different than freshly smacked up garlic cloves

Dont get me wrong, I've used that stuff frequently so I'm not snobbing you... but theres just something about that jarred stuff, pretty sure the problem is that its just too strong... so many times I've used it only to say 'oh lawd, went to heavy on the garlic!'

Regular garlic is almost like a shallot compared to that jarred stuff IMO, not knocking ya... but maybe just encouraging you to use real garlic, I switched back up and find it MUCH better

The garlic paste in a tube iisn’t bad I use it occasionally when I am feeling too lazy to prep myself.

Easy 6
02-13-2018, 08:48 PM
The garlic paste in a tube iisn’t bad I use it occasionally when I am feeling too lazy to prep myself.

Never even heard of such a thing

There are some useful applications for the jarred stuff though, rubbing down a roast chicken or grilled steak among them... but I'm convinced that the flavors become too concentrated, and more bitter in the production process in those minced jars, than just smashing and mincing a few cloves by hand

Regular garlic isnt nearly as strong and has a more mellow flavor, I'm convinced of it... but again not trying to snob Inmen out, I've used that jarred stuff for years

Just finally came full circle back to regular garlic

Monkey God
02-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Meatball or Italian Sausage for meat, but a great red pasta sauce can hold its own without meat.

Great Expectations
02-13-2018, 10:18 PM
I'm not drinking any ****ing merlot.

This

BucEyedPea
02-14-2018, 12:16 AM

PS the iPhone X camera is ****ing legit.

It sure is. That image is really clear. Good detail on the pan's contents.

BucEyedPea
02-14-2018, 12:30 AM
ROFL I deleted the majority of his useless snobbery, but saphos basic template above is really where you should start... add a little garlic to that onion in olive oil, add your pre-browned meat after the sauce has cooked a bit, and profit

Use canned tomato, or grab the reddest ripest tomatoes you can find at the store and crush them like a retard holding a bunny rabbit... whatever you can do

Just keep it simple at first

Sapho's is a Pomodoro Sauce which is just tomatoes.

Adding meat it's more like a Bolognese sauce.

BucEyedPea
02-14-2018, 12:36 AM
Classico's Tomato Basil is a close runner-up to my Nonna's which my mom also made—at least for the tomato part. Just need to add some fresh basil and more garlic. Can't believe how similar it is to their's. My mom would add sweet italian sausage and meatballs to flavor it and make it a full meal.

I can whip up a quick pomodoro sauce...in fact I prefer it just with tomatoes. Very garden fresh tasting.

BucEyedPea
02-14-2018, 12:50 AM

Chose the wine based on the kind of sauce you're having instead of the pasta. Cabernets go well with a tomato based sauce. Italian Chianti is bold and goes well with well seasoned sauces. Or a Sicilian red. Pinot Noir also pairs well with tomato based sauces but is lighter and more versatile as it can be paired with a cream or oil-based sauce too. My Sicilian dad loved Bolla Valpolicella which isn't expensive.

Baby Lee
02-14-2018, 02:12 AM
I'm not drinking any fucking merlot.

Drink what you want TimBone, but do not sabotage ME.

Did you bring your Xanax?

Frosty
02-14-2018, 08:57 AM

:hmmm:

Fire Me Boy!
02-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Never even heard of such a thing

There are some useful applications for the jarred stuff though, rubbing down a roast chicken or grilled steak among them... but I'm convinced that the flavors become too concentrated, and more bitter in the production process in those minced jars, than just smashing and mincing a few cloves by hand

Regular garlic isnt nearly as strong and has a more mellow flavor, I'm convinced of it... but again not trying to snob Inmen out, I've used that jarred stuff for years

Just finally came full circle back to regular garlic

This stuff, near the fresh herbs.

https://b88999e18c89e80431a4-abc09c86eb4dd7b78c0b34703b49a2cf.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/0875208000640_A1A3_ItemMaster_default_large.jpeg

They also have some herbs, ginger, chile paste, etc. Decent stuff for cutting time.