PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs believe in Patrick Mahomes leadership ability

staylor26
02-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Chiefs are confident in leadership abilities of young Patrick Mahomes

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR
tpaylor@kcstar.com
February 09, 2018 06:10 PM
Chiefs coach Andy Reid stepped to the microphone and awaited the questions about Patrick Mahomes.

Mahomes, the club’s first-round pick in 2017, had just aced his first career start, completing 22 of 35 passes for 284 yards and leading the Chiefs’ game-winning drive in a 27-24 victory at Denver to close out the regular season.

The kid had aced the test, and Reid knew it. So much so that the Chiefs’ usually unflappable coach had difficulty tamping down his excitement. When asked about Mahomes, Reid raved about the “complete control” the rookie had shown, comments Reid would elaborate on at the Senior Bowl.

“He proved he could function at a high level,” Reid told The Star. “It’s not just calling the plays and lining up and doing it. It’s a matter of the protections against that defense, moving people around.

Never miss a local story.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

“He had a center that was a backup at the time (Zach Fulton), and they had to work that together and get everything picked up, and he was able to handle that.”

In retrospect, it’s clear that Mahomes’ impressive performance helped clear the way for general manager Brett Veach’s trade of veteran quarterback Alex Smith to Washington, which became the talk of Super Bowl week in Minneapolis.

The trade cannot be fully consummated until the new league year begins on March 14, but that hasn’t kept anyone — fans, analysts, coaches, players — from speculating on what the Chiefs’ offense could look like with Mahomes under center.

“He makes some throws where you say ‘Man, the QB we’re about to play can’t make this throw, so don’t even worry about that,’” Chiefs inside linebacker Derrick Johnson said of Mahomes’ work on the scout team.

ESPN analyst Louis Riddick went so far as to say the Chiefs’ are “giddy” about handing Mahomes the job.

“They think he is a unique, unique talent with a unique arm, not just in terms of strength but in terms of the accuracy in which he can use that arm,” Riddick said. “I know they are excited about it, and Chiefs fans should be excited about it.

“The kid will not be discouraged, will not be talked out of being someone who is going to push the envelope in terms of making big plays. They love everything about him, from everything I’ve heard, and they cannot wait to see him taking all the reps, getting all the individualized coaching as far as nuance and playing the position under Andy Reid this offseason.”

But if Mahomes is going to succeed as the Chiefs’ next quarterback, he must first earn the trust of the men in the locker room. And you do that, players and analysts say, by playing well and leading from the front.

“Look, to be a good quarterback, you have to be cocky, confident,” said Geoff Schwartz, a veteran offensive lineman who spent 2013 as a starter for the Chiefs. “You have to command a huddle, even if you’re a rookie. You have to come in there and say, ‘This is my huddle,’ because it is. You’re in charge, this is your deal, right? Because (center) Mitch Morse is only doing so much for you.”

That’s one of the reasons Reid was so happy with Mahomes after the Denver game. He knew the formations; he knew the defenses. And he let it all hang out, with no hesitation. That’s called swagger, and having it is necessary if you’re going to lead a room full of football-playing alpha males.

“If you’re kind of timid at quarterback, I don’t think it works,” Schwartz said. “So I hope Mahomes is talkative and confident, a little cocky. You have to be, to be a quarterback.”

The good news is that Mahomes has already shown some of this to teammates.

“Pattycakes, man, he’s a confident player — he’s a confident football player,” tight end Travis Kelce said. “He’s still young; he’s still gonna go through some growing pains ... but I think he’s shown enough upside through the preseason, games and practices.

“Just who he is as a competitor, man, he’s got all the confidence in the world. So I don’t think the transition is going to be too tough.”

Johnson, the veteran linebacker, said Mahomes not only did a nice job blending into the background this season while serving as Alex Smith’s understudy, he was eager to take advice.

“He did a good job keeping his mouth shut and learning a lot,” Johnson said. “There were times on the field where he knows I like to jump routes, and there were times he’d really try to bait me into jumping a route ... and maybe it worked on some people, but I went up to him afterwards and said, ‘Hey, you don’t have to be that dramatic — that’s when I know you’re trying to bait me.’

“So I’m always talking to him when I’m out there, and he was always receptive, saying, ‘OK, I got you.’ He’s a guy that’s very humble for his stature.”

Riddick said that in the NFL, while it’s important to have an on-field presence, there’s only way to really win over your teammates at the quarterback position.

“It isn’t about standing up, giving fiery speeches and making ridiculous gestures about eating W’s or anything like that,” Riddick said, referencing a maligned pregame speech by young Tampa Bay quarterback Jameis Winston. “This is a performance league, man. And although you’d obviously like players who have great football personal character who do all their (work) the right way. In the end, what really talks in the NFL is your performance, and that’s what he’ll need to do.”

As long as Mahomes plays well on the field and doesn’t make any bad decisions off the field that would cost him his availability to the rest of the team, Riddick is confident his talent will help him be a successful leader, even at the young age of 22.

“It’s just different, man,” Riddick said of Mahomes’ talent. “And we all know it’s different.”

The big unknown, of course, is how Mahomes will fare over a full 16-game slate against the best football players in the world. The Chiefs are confident they know the answer.

“They’re making the bet that he’s going to be everything they thought he was going to be,” Riddick said, “and I’m right there with them.”

http://amp.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article199427264.html?__twitter_impression=true

I think the entire organization is somehow way more confident than we are in this guy. Riddick is probably the best national media guy (along with Matt Miller) in terms of having sources/friends within the Chiefs front office. He’s been hyping the fuck out of Mahomes with confidence because of what he’s heard and seen so far.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-09-2018, 09:45 PM
Dayum....

Chief Northman
02-09-2018, 09:49 PM
Veach needs to show his nuts and go get Allen Robinson. Load up the bomb squad and let Mahomes shred defenses. The D needs a rebuild, but one splash on offense at wr along with solidifying the LG spot could do wonders for the team’s success next season.

ChiefsCountry
02-09-2018, 09:50 PM
https://m.popkey.co/0675ac/5eEqN.gif

Hammock Parties
02-09-2018, 09:55 PM
2PM at 6AM

KChiefs1
02-09-2018, 10:00 PM
Super Bowl dreams.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2018/2/9/16994610/arrowheadlines-chiefs-super-bowl-chances-rest-on-the-shoulders-of-patrick-mahomes?

TribalElder
02-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Should have just left him as the starter after Denver

NJChiefsFan
02-09-2018, 11:19 PM
Riddick has been all in since day one.

DaneMcCloud
02-09-2018, 11:26 PM
Veach needs to show his nuts and go get Allen Robinson.

No.

Good grief, no.

The last position of need on this team is WR, let alone a WR coming off ACL repair.

Tribal Warfare
02-09-2018, 11:36 PM
Riddick has been all in since day one.

Schefter was comparing Nate Peterson to Mahomes trying to drill up his opinion that Patrick is too raw to start and this was before the Broncos game. Riddick snickered and said PMII has light years more talent, and shouldn't be compared to Peterson in any form.

DRM08
02-09-2018, 11:46 PM
Schefter was comparing Nate Peterson to Mahomes trying to drill up his opinion that Patrick is too raw to start and this was before the Broncos game. Riddick snickered and said PMII has light years more talent, and shouldn't be compared to Peterson in any form.

Do you mean Peterman? He has a serious case of The Noodle Arm.

Tribal Warfare
02-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Do you mean Peterman? He has a serious case of The Noodle Arm.

Correction, yes Peterman

Red Dawg
02-09-2018, 11:50 PM
No reason to think Mahomes is not the answer. Riddick should be a GM. He's level headed and thinks logically. He's a smart guy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Of course they do.

He already had the team all-in before Smith played his last snap as a Chief. Hell, some of those dudes were practically counting the days and minutes for this transition.

Rasputin
02-10-2018, 01:44 AM
https://m.popkey.co/0675ac/5eEqN.gif

Holy Batballs Batman I've got a boner too

Rasputin
02-10-2018, 01:48 AM
I've had this figured out in preseason action just needs game action to build his resume of what he can do.

Just think what can defenses do when he rolls out to the left and throws dart down field to the right of the field to streaking Tyreek?

dannybcaitlyn
02-10-2018, 03:41 AM
He’s the only reason why I’m renewing my Sunday ticket! Fuck Sutton!

chiefzilla1501
02-10-2018, 03:51 AM
Kind of cool to hear coaches and players talk candidly about him. Some out of loyalty and respect to Alex, some out of keeping a trade alive, feel like players and coaches were keeping quiet about mahomes. Good, fair piece by paylor. I don't like paying dj that much but I liked hearing veteran leaders on D coaching him up.

Chiefs Moon
02-10-2018, 06:39 AM
Fulton was not the backup center for Mahomes in the Denver game. It was Jordan Devey.

For the first time in Chiefs history, the most talented player on their roster will be the starting quarterback. Not only that, this kid has a set of balls like no one else. Mahomes makes throws into windows that scare and excite tough guys. And he was no turnover machine in college. He sees the field like no one we've ever had except maybe Montana. He will make Reid a better coach. Mahomes biggest problem will be staying healthy. He doesn't mind taking hits-- he waits until the last possible second to make plays. That has to change.

Give him a good LG and another sure-handed TE and he's one of the most dangerous QB's in the league. Something has gone terribly wrong if he doesn't rack up stats that destroy every Chiefs passing record his first year as a starter. Our skill position players are too good for that not to happen. The Chiefs have never been this loaded on offense.

Teams can't put 8 in the box anymore. Those days are over. They will have to defend the entire field and that will help our running game.

Can hardly wait.

Buehler445
02-10-2018, 07:21 AM
Good read by Paylor. Thanks for posting.

However, I need to call a doctor. I’m over the 4 hour limit.

Sandy Vagina
02-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Travis calls him Pattycakes, lmao.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/O0oo0.gif

Rasputin
02-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Travis calls him Pattycakes, lmao.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/O0oo0.gif

Pattycakes is a genius nickname sure better than Smitty as in Alex Shitty Smitty.

Buehler445
02-10-2018, 07:40 AM
It took me a minute to figure out what he was saying but once I figured it out I laughed pretty hard.

Coogs
02-10-2018, 07:48 AM
Chiefs are confident in leadership abilities of young Patrick Mahomes

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR
tpaylor@kcstar.com
February 09, 2018 06:10 PM
Chiefs coach Andy Reid stepped to the microphone and awaited the questions about Patrick Mahomes.

Mahomes, the club’s first-round pick in 2017, had just aced his first career start, completing 22 of 35 passes for 284 yards and leading the Chiefs’ game-winning drive in a 27-24 victory at Denver to close out the regular season.

The kid had aced the test, and Reid knew it. So much so that the Chiefs’ usually unflappable coach had difficulty tamping down his excitement. When asked about Mahomes, Reid raved about the “complete control” the rookie had shown, comments Reid would elaborate on at the Senior Bowl.

“He proved he could function at a high level,” Reid told The Star. “It’s not just calling the plays and lining up and doing it. It’s a matter of the protections against that defense, moving people around.

Never miss a local story.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

“He had a center that was a backup at the time (Zach Fulton), and they had to work that together and get everything picked up, and he was able to handle that.”

In retrospect, it’s clear that Mahomes’ impressive performance helped clear the way for general manager Brett Veach’s trade of veteran quarterback Alex Smith to Washington, which became the talk of Super Bowl week in Minneapolis.

The trade cannot be fully consummated until the new league year begins on March 14, but that hasn’t kept anyone — fans, analysts, coaches, players — from speculating on what the Chiefs’ offense could look like with Mahomes under center.

“He makes some throws where you say ‘Man, the QB we’re about to play can’t make this throw, so don’t even worry about that,’” Chiefs inside linebacker Derrick Johnson said of Mahomes’ work on the scout team.

ESPN analyst Louis Riddick went so far as to say the Chiefs’ are “giddy” about handing Mahomes the job.

“They think he is a unique, unique talent with a unique arm, not just in terms of strength but in terms of the accuracy in which he can use that arm,” Riddick said. “I know they are excited about it, and Chiefs fans should be excited about it.

“The kid will not be discouraged, will not be talked out of being someone who is going to push the envelope in terms of making big plays. They love everything about him, from everything I’ve heard, and they cannot wait to see him taking all the reps, getting all the individualized coaching as far as nuance and playing the position under Andy Reid this offseason.”

But if Mahomes is going to succeed as the Chiefs’ next quarterback, he must first earn the trust of the men in the locker room. And you do that, players and analysts say, by playing well and leading from the front.

“Look, to be a good quarterback, you have to be cocky, confident,” said Geoff Schwartz, a veteran offensive lineman who spent 2013 as a starter for the Chiefs. “You have to command a huddle, even if you’re a rookie. You have to come in there and say, ‘This is my huddle,’ because it is. You’re in charge, this is your deal, right? Because (center) Mitch Morse is only doing so much for you.”

That’s one of the reasons Reid was so happy with Mahomes after the Denver game. He knew the formations; he knew the defenses. And he let it all hang out, with no hesitation. That’s called swagger, and having it is necessary if you’re going to lead a room full of football-playing alpha males.

“If you’re kind of timid at quarterback, I don’t think it works,” Schwartz said. “So I hope Mahomes is talkative and confident, a little cocky. You have to be, to be a quarterback.”

The good news is that Mahomes has already shown some of this to teammates.

“Pattycakes, man, he’s a confident player — he’s a confident football player,” tight end Travis Kelce said. “He’s still young; he’s still gonna go through some growing pains ... but I think he’s shown enough upside through the preseason, games and practices.

“Just who he is as a competitor, man, he’s got all the confidence in the world. So I don’t think the transition is going to be too tough.”

Johnson, the veteran linebacker, said Mahomes not only did a nice job blending into the background this season while serving as Alex Smith’s understudy, he was eager to take advice.

“He did a good job keeping his mouth shut and learning a lot,” Johnson said. “There were times on the field where he knows I like to jump routes, and there were times he’d really try to bait me into jumping a route ... and maybe it worked on some people, but I went up to him afterwards and said, ‘Hey, you don’t have to be that dramatic — that’s when I know you’re trying to bait me.’

“So I’m always talking to him when I’m out there, and he was always receptive, saying, ‘OK, I got you.’ He’s a guy that’s very humble for his stature.”

Riddick said that in the NFL, while it’s important to have an on-field presence, there’s only way to really win over your teammates at the quarterback position.

“It isn’t about standing up, giving fiery speeches and making ridiculous gestures about eating W’s or anything like that,” Riddick said, referencing a maligned pregame speech by young Tampa Bay quarterback Jameis Winston. “This is a performance league, man. And although you’d obviously like players who have great football personal character who do all their (work) the right way. In the end, what really talks in the NFL is your performance, and that’s what he’ll need to do.”

As long as Mahomes plays well on the field and doesn’t make any bad decisions off the field that would cost him his availability to the rest of the team, Riddick is confident his talent will help him be a successful leader, even at the young age of 22.

“It’s just different, man,” Riddick said of Mahomes’ talent. “And we all know it’s different.”

The big unknown, of course, is how Mahomes will fare over a full 16-game slate against the best football players in the world. The Chiefs are confident they know the answer.

“They’re making the bet that he’s going to be everything they thought he was going to be,” Riddick said, “and I’m right there with them.”

http://amp.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article199427264.html?__twitter_impression=true

I think the entire organization is somehow way more confident than we are in this guy. Riddick is probably the best national media guy (along with Matt Miller) in terms of having sources/friends within the Chiefs front office. He’s been hyping the **** out of Mahomes with confidence because of what he’s heard and seen so far.

Who's this we you are talking about in the ladt paragraph?

notorious
02-10-2018, 07:54 AM
I hate the offseason and the endless stream of fluff garbage.

jjchieffan
02-10-2018, 08:07 AM

Yeah. I was thinking that as I read the article. I have no doubt that articles were written similar to this one about quarterbacks like Ryan Leaf, RGIII, Jamarcus Russell, Paxton Lynch, and other first round busts. Fans get all excited reading the hype. But all the fluff in the world doesn't guarantee anything. I'm just anxious to see Mahomes lead this team and get us excited by how he plays. The fluff articles are just that....fluff.

Buehler445
02-10-2018, 08:08 AM

At least Paylor goes and gets quotes. And crafts a piece. Not just changes some names from last years story.

BigCatDaddy
02-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Who's this we you are talking about in the ladt paragraph?

Probably the 2 guys posting after you.

notorious
02-10-2018, 08:13 AM
Yeah. I was thinking that as I read the article. I have no doubt that articles were written similar to this one about quarterbacks like Ryan Leaf, RGIII, Jamarcus Russell, Paxton Lynch, and other first round busts. Fans get all excited reading the hype. But all the fluff in the world doesn't guarantee anything. I'm just anxious to see Mahomes lead this team and get us excited by how he plays. The fluff articles are just that....fluff.

He looks like he belongs, and the players react to him. That’s my real-world eye test.

I am excited to see him l, too, but my expectations are also tempered. I automatically roll my eyes whenever a piece of fluff like this comes out about any player, whether I like or hate them.

DRM08
02-10-2018, 08:17 AM

Nobody was talking about Leaf or Jamarcus in those terms after Year 1. They struggled a lot and people were already wondering if they might not have what it takes. RG3 was Rookie of the Year and turned into an injury bust. Not really fair to compare him to the likes of Leaf.

notorious
02-10-2018, 08:17 AM
At least Paylor goes and gets quotes. And crafts a piece. Not just changes some names from last years story.

Don’t listen to me. Paylor is good, I am just a cynical asshole.

staylor26
02-10-2018, 08:36 AM

Lol it’s pretty obvious there’s a difference here. None of those guys organizations were this confident they had a star after year 1, even RG3 (Shanahan and company knew that rookie year meant jack shit).

I don’t think some of you understand that they wouldn’t be putting these expectations so high if they weren’t extremely confident he was going to meet them.

Read between the lines, Riddick is flat out saying Mahomes will be a star because that’s what he’s hearing from within the organization. They were so confident after seeing Mahomes in camp that they even considered trading Alex then.

“The kid had aced the test, and Reid knew it. So much so that the Chiefs’ usually unflappable coach had difficulty tamping down his excitement”

Terez is trying to tell you there. This isn’t your average fluff. This is as genuine as it gets. Why do you think Reid is being so out of character with the hype. I mean, the guy had the balls to tell Gruden “you better get a good DC” because he knows what he has.

Marcellus
02-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Has this dumbass ever watched Mahomes play?

Where is the gif of Mahomes skipping down the field after his bomb to Robinson in the preseason?

BleedingRed
02-10-2018, 08:40 AM
I can't wait for the first bomb

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 08:47 AM
No.

Good grief, no.

The last position of need on this team is WR, let alone a WR coming off ACL repair.

You watch the playoff game? What happened when Kelce went down?

Berry is coming off an Achilles injury, cancer battle and a torn acl. Nobody sounding alarm bells about his return......

Robinson is exactly the type of receiver that Mahomes could benefit from in this offense. You get so many matchup advantages - the offense would be unstoppable.

Marcellus
02-10-2018, 08:49 AM
You watch the playoff game? What happened when Kelce went down?

Berry is coming off an Achilles injury, cancer battle and a torn acl. Nobody sounding alarm bells about his return......

Robinson is exactly the type of receiver that Mahomes could benefit from in this offense. You get so many matchup advantages - the offense would be unstoppable.

Did you watch the Denver game or preseason?

Robinson, Conley, Hill, and Wilson if we resign him which I think we will are plenty good. Throw in Chesson and a few rookies for competition and its a deep group.

DRM08
02-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Lol it’s pretty obvious there’s a difference here. None of those guys organizations were this confident they had a star after year 1, even RG3 (Shanahan and company knew that rookie year meant jack shit).

I don’t think some of you understand that they wouldn’t be putting these expectations so high if they weren’t extremely confident he was going to meet them.

Read between the lines, Riddick is flat out saying Mahomes will be a star because that’s what he’s hearing from within the organization. They were so confident after seeing Mahomes in camp that they even considered trading Alex then.

“The kid had aced the test, and Reid knew it. So much so that the Chiefs’ usually unflappable coach had difficulty tamping down his excitement”

Terez is trying to tell you there. This isn’t your average fluff. This is as genuine as it gets. Why do you think Reid is being so out of character with the hype. I mean, the guy had the balls to tell Gruden “you better get a good DC” because he knows what he has.

If they believed he was another Leaf or Russell, they would have kept Alex. He just had the best passer rating in the 2017 NFL season. $20m for a QB of that quality is not a bad deal. They are extremely confident Mahomes will be a very solid replacement and not a Leaf trainwreck.

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Did you watch the Denver game or preseason?

Robinson, Conley, Hill, and Wilson if we resign him which I think we will are plenty good. Throw in Chesson and a few rookies for competition and its a deep group.

Wilson will likely be gone. DAT will not be re-signed.

Why did Veach attempt to get Kenny Britt later in the season? Conley had been injured long before. This group isn’t as deep as you think.

Marcellus
02-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Wilson will likely be gone. DAT will not be re-signed.

Why did Veach attempt to get Kenny Britt later in the season? Conley had been injured long before. This group isn’t as deep as you think.

We arent spending big money on a receiver and I have no idea why you think Wilson is gone.

If Veech tried to get Britt it is exactly because Conley was hurt.

We need help on defense not offense.

Coogs
02-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Probably the 2 guys posting after you.

Lol! Probably so.

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 09:03 AM
We arent spending big money on a receiver and I have no idea why you think Wilson is gone.

If Veech tried to get Britt it is exactly because Conley was hurt.

We need help on defense not offense.

And because nobody could fill a spot across from Tyreek.

Robinson could not, DAT was a gadget player, Chesson played specials and Wilson gets favourable matchups and playcalls in the slot. Put him out wide against bonafide corners and he is pedestrian. Reid knows how to use him which bodes well for Wilson’s free agency bid. Problem is Wilson always leaves you wanting more. Drops. Runs out of bounds. Not clutch.

Even if Conley returns to form, he is not scaring defenses with his ability. Depth is a concern on this entire roster, not just the defense. Clark Hunt has recently cited as much.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Wilson and RobInson looked really good with a competent QB. Of course they sucked with one read boy. They don't get elite separation like Hill and Kelce, but they do get NFL open.

Coogs
02-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Wilson with Mahomes in Denver. 10 targets. 10 catches. 147 yards. Mahomes was not afraid to throw it to Harris either. Smith had Harris open on the biggest play of the game against the Titans, and didn't go there.

RunKC
02-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Would love it if we drafted Mahomes former teammate Keke Coutee. That dude was a straight up baller with Mahomes at Texas Tech

displacedinMN
02-10-2018, 09:11 AM
Wilson with Mahomes in Denver. 10 targets. 10 catches. 147 yards. Mahomes was not afraid to throw it to Harris either. Smith had Harris open on the biggest play of the game against the Titans, and didn't go there.

I like that stat. I forgot if Kelce played in the Denver game.
Hmm PM to Kelce with all the other weapons. Sounds fun!!!

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Would love it if we drafted Mahomes former teammate Keke Coutee. That dude was a straight up baller with Mahomes at Texas Tech

We already have enough small receivers. Find a red zone target.

loochy
02-10-2018, 09:15 AM

I don't blame Smith one bit for a lack of confidence in Harris though

Marcellus
02-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Chris Conley and Chesson are both big receivers.

RunKC
02-10-2018, 09:20 AM

I’m of the belief that Nagy is going to throw a lot of money at Albert Wilson bc they literally don’t have any receivers in Chicago and Wilson knows the scheme.

Chris Conley was criminally underused with Alex. I don’t think we ever threw a fade to him in the red zone. Him and Chesson are your big receivers with Kelce and a 6 ft Robinson.

New thing in the league is quick receivers. That’s what the Patriots use. I want another one in case Tyreek gets hurt.

O.city
02-10-2018, 09:22 AM
I bet they end up keeping Wilson

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Chris Conley and Chesson are both big receivers.

One never saw the field and the other is largely a possession receiver who is good against zone, but average against man defense. You really believe Conley is a guy you hang your hat on to win contested 1 on 1’s?

Hopefully Reid will actually let Mahomes throw into the end zone facing a short field.

RealSNR
02-10-2018, 09:40 AM

With a QB like Mahomes, a WR is a WR.

Just make sure he has good ones regardless of size and we'll be fine

FloridaMan88
02-10-2018, 09:51 AM
No.

Good grief, no.

WR isn't a position of need?

Hill is currently the only WR on the roster who provides consistent production.

RunKC
02-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Conley was a 500 yard receiver in 2016 and was on pace to do the same this last season.

And that was with Alex Smith. We all know that production is going to go ^^^^ with Pat

Coogs
02-10-2018, 10:06 AM
I don't blame Smith one bit for a lack of confidence in Harris though

I do.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-10-2018, 10:10 AM
I'd love Coutee or Chark out of LSU.

Even if you believe we have enough small receivers, which we honestly don't because we're likely losing Wilson and DAT both this year, I'd like someone who can step in and halfway replicate Tyreek's skill set if necessary. Coutee and Chark can both stretch the defense and make guys miss.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2018, 10:16 AM
He looks like he belongs, and the players react to him. That’s my real-world eye test.

I am excited to see him l, too, but my expectations are also tempered. I automatically roll my eyes whenever a piece of fluff like this comes out about any player, whether I like or hate them.

This is Mahomes we're talking about. Anything about his awesomeness is not fluff. It's matter of fact. This kid is gonna destroy opponents.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2018, 10:19 AM
WR isn't a position of need?

Hill is currently the only WR on the roster who provides consistent production.

I've read several articles on the kid Deiter we have on the practice squad as being a gem ready for play. The guy supposedly catches EVERYTHING. He supposedly played with patty cakes in school.

FloridaMan88
02-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Conley was a 500 yard receiver in 2016 and was on pace to do the same this last season.

And that was with Alex Smith. We all know that production is going to go ^^^^ with Pat

500 receiving yards for an entire season is average production in today's NFL (86 players had at least 500 receiving yards this past season).

Time to upgrade the standards when it comes to WR production.

Just as with the QB position (until Mahomes), this franchise has under-invested in and under-valued the WR position for far too long.

KChiefs1
02-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Riddick should be a GM. He's level headed and thinks logically. He's a smart guy.

He is one of the few on ESPN I enjoy listening too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180210/041972358b2709d6f7110c2ca5b03638.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 10:23 AM

After years of reading TRUE fluff about how "THIS year is the year that Captain Shit-for Brains is gonna' BRING THE NOISE"(!)-articles about the Chiefs shit-parade of garbage QB's, I'll take every article I can get about finally getting legitimate talent.

wasi
02-10-2018, 10:25 AM
I'd rather see Veach go all in on Jarvis Landry than spend anything on Allen Robinson. I'd rather go after Cam Brate than Robinson.

I see more important positions than WR that need to be addressed

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 10:26 AM
500 receiving yards for an entire season is average production in today's NFL (86 players had at least 500 receiving yards this past season).

Just as with the QB position (until Mahomes), this franchise has under-invested in and under-valued the WR position for far too long.

The production will increase due to not having a blind, timid, pussyfart of a QB, but I'm with you in that the Chiefs need to get PMII a taller, more prototypical version of Hill.

KChiefs1
02-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Veach needs to show his nuts and go get Allen Robinson. Load up the bomb squad and let Mahomes shred defenses. The D needs a rebuild, but one splash on offense at wr along with solidifying the LG spot could do wonders for the team’s success next season.

A 2nd TE is needed more than a 2nd WR. I'd agree with LG because I want Mahomes to have some protection from injury.

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 10:28 AM
We don’t need any more rookie receivers. Go get your shiny new qb a trusted target. The youth movement needs to happen on defense.

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 10:31 AM
I'd rather see Veach go all in on Jarvis Landry than spend anything on Allen Robinson. I'd rather go after Cam Brate than Robinson.

No to Landry. Does not complement what the receiver group needs, and has a diva complex.

I would love Brate but he is a RFA.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 10:43 AM
No to Landry. Does not complement what the receiver group needs, and has a diva complex.

I would love Brate but he is a RFA.

:facepalm:

This is not directed at you personally, but to the ENTIRE, illogical and deluded group of fans that have been for SO LONG duped and convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that in order to build a successful team, you can't allow anyone with some swagger, balls, and attitude "infect" your precious group of choir boys:

LOOK AT WHAT THE "RIGHT 53" AND "MODEL CITIZENS" HAVE NETTED YOU FOR THE LAST 48 YEARS:

https://i.vimeocdn.com/portrait/278553_300x300
https://cdn.emojidex.com/emoji/seal/shit.png?1417138588

Red Dawg
02-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Vdawg gotta fix this defense. First time in forever I would leave the offense alone with the exception to getting OL depth. Defense is where money needs to go.

NJChiefsFan
02-10-2018, 10:51 AM

That's the point with Conley though. If he is getting 500 yards as the 3rd option in an offense that has a QB look at 2 middle to deep reads a play max, that's potentially more impressive than a normal 500 yd season.

New World Order
02-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Mahomes went out there and threw the ball 35 times in his first start on the road.

Usually we see a lot of the running game and PA with rookie quarterbacks. Not Mahomes. I think that's why he can come in and play well in his first full year as a starter.

It wouldn't surprise me if he put up Kirk Cousins-like stats this season.

staylor26
02-10-2018, 10:54 AM
That's the point with Conley though. If he is getting 500 yards as the 3rd option in an offense that has a QB look at 2 middle to deep reads a play max, that's potentially more impressive than a normal 500 yd season.

Exactly.

WhiteWhale
02-10-2018, 10:57 AM
The production will increase due to not having a blind, timid, pussyfart of a QB, but I'm with you in that the Chiefs need to get PMII a taller, more prototypical version of Hill.

That's impossible.

Hill is the best pure deep threat the NFL has seen since Randy Moss. His speed is otherworldly, he tracks the ball in the air incredibly well, his lateral ability is as ridiculous as his top end speed.

Guys like this don't fall off of trees. We're talking about a deep threat so incredible he made ALEX SMITH, statistically, the best downfield passer of 2017. As a guy who hates Smith, you SHOULD understand how incredible that is.

WhiteWhale
02-10-2018, 11:02 AM

This is not directed at you personally, but to the ENTIRE, illogical and deluded group of fans that have been for SO LONG duped and convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that in order to build a successful team, you can't allow anyone with some swagger, balls, and attitude "infect" your precious group of choir boys:

LOOK AT WHAT THE "RIGHT 53" AND "MODEL CITIZENS" HAVE NETTED YOU FOR THE LAST 48 YEARS:

This post would make more sense if you weren't talking about Jarvis Landry.

A six foot possession WR. Yay! Get ready for his robust 8.8 yards per catch! Guy catches 112 passes and doesn't break 1,000 yards?

Yeah, that sounds like a guy we want to team mahomes with. Let's get some checkdowns up in here!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 11:09 AM
That's impossible.

Hill is the best pure deep threat the NFL has seen since Randy Moss. His speed is otherworldly, he tracks the ball in the air incredibly well, his lateral ability is as ridiculous as his top end speed.

Guys like this don't fall off of trees. We're talking about a deep threat so incredible he made ALEX SMITH, statistically, the best downfield passer of 2017. As a guy who hates Smith, you SHOULD understand how incredible that is.

OF COURSE you're not going to replicate Hill. Come the fuck ON, man. There's a difference between tracking and drafting a premium, prototypical WR, and picking a hopeful in round three.
As a guy that NOW understands the difference between grabbing trash off the garbage heap/drafting developmental turd-whackers in rounds 3-7, and FINALLY after three fucking decades growing a pair and drafting a QB at the CORRECT AND APPROPRIATE place in the draft, you should know this.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 11:10 AM
This post would make more sense if you weren't talking about Jarvis Landry.

A six foot possession WR. Yay! Get ready for his robust 8.8 yards per catch! Guy catches 112 passes and doesn't break 1,000 yards?

Yeah, that sounds like a guy we want to team mahomes with. Let's get some checkdowns up in here!

Who gives a fuck about Landry? That wasn't the point.

RunKC
02-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Yup. And he was actually the 4th option after Tyreek, Kelce and Hunt.

I will keep pounding through drum for Conley just like I have all last year. Conley will benefit from Mahomes more than anyone on this team.

We know that Mahomes is going to throw high point jump balls. You have a 6’2” receiver with arms almost 34 inches long and one of the best vertical jumps in combine history that will be in single coverage a lot.

Huge weapon with Pat.

WhiteWhale
02-10-2018, 11:16 AM
OF COURSE you're not going to replicate Hill. Come the **** ON, man. There's a difference between tracking and drafting a premium, prototypical WR, and picking a hopeful in round three.
As a guy that NOW understands the difference between grabbing trash off the garbage heap/drafting developmental turd-whackers in rounds 3-7, and FINALLY after three ****ing decades growing a pair and drafting a QB at the CORRECT AND APPROPRIATE place in the draft, you should know this.

Stop lying about my position you pussy. I never backed Alex or Matt Cassel, and you know it. I just wasn't a retard standing on the table for Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.

My point is you're not going to find a taller and more prototypical version of Hill, because Hill is unique. I didn't pull this out of my ass, you said exactly:

"the Chiefs need to get PMII a taller, more prototypical version of Hill."

You're asking for something that doesn't exist, and now you're reframing it. People can read what you said.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Stop lying about my position you pussy. I never backed Alex or Matt Cassel, and you know it. I just wasn't a retard standing on the table for Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.

My point is you're not going to find a taller and more prototypical version of Hill, because Hill is unique. I didn't pull this out of my ass, you said exactly:

"the Chiefs need to get PMII a taller, more prototypical version of Hill."

You're asking for something that doesn't exist, and now you're reframing it. People can read what you said.

Fuck "your position", and simply acknowledge the point. It's not that hard for someone with reading comprehension.

WhiteWhale
02-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Who gives a **** about Landry? That wasn't the point.

Your point was that KC doesn't acquire guys that have swagger.

Which is a bullshit narrative, and you're using fucking Jarvis Landry of all people to prove this point.

:drool: STick to parroting Clay.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Your point was that KC doesn't acquire guys that have swagger.

Which is a bullshit narrative, and you're using fucking Jarvis Landry of all people to prove this point.

:drool: STick to parroting Clay.

And by and large it's absolutely fucking true, window-licker.

WhiteWhale
02-10-2018, 11:21 AM
**** "your position", and simply acknowledge the point. It's not that hard for someone with reading comprehension.

I'm not going to acknowledge your bullshit narrative that I'm some ****ing Cassel or Alex supporter who only recently turned against them you sack of donkey piss.

Stop saying stupid meaningless shit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 11:27 AM
I'm not going to acknowledge your bullshit narrative that I'm some fucking Cassel or Alex supporter who only recently turned against them you sack of donkey piss.

"The process"? You trusted it. Until it became obvious that it was a mistake.

Reid wasting 5 years of everyone's time? You were okay with that at the beginning. And then it turned out exactly as I and a few other knew it would.

Yeah, you were smart enough to bail out when it all went south, but where was your foresight?

That's right; you didn't have any.

So don't come walking up to my door acting like you have a fucking clue and I don't. You were wrong from the get-go, and that's ALL that matters.

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 11:34 AM

My pass on Landry sentiment equates more to scheme fit/what he brings, as opposed to the antics. Let’s just say the antics don’t help things. Landry might get the biggest contract of all the UFA receivers this offseason, and it would be a head-scratcher. Great slot possession receiver. Not a speedster, not a 50/50 ball bet, and not great on the perimeter.
Pass.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 11:39 AM
My pass on Landry sentiment equates more to scheme fit/what he brings, as opposed to the antics. Let’s just say the antics don’t help things. Landry might get the biggest contract of all the UFA receivers this offseason, and it would be a head-scratcher. Great slot possession receiver. Not a speedster, not a 50/50 ball bet, and not great on the perimeter.
Pass.

If he doesn't have the talent to back up the strut, then you are absolutely correct.

RealSNR
02-10-2018, 11:42 AM
We don’t need any more rookie receivers. Go get your shiny new qb a trusted target. The youth movement needs to happen on defense.

I'm kind of meh on that, too, though.

Maclin was THE perfect WR to go get in free agency. More than any Chiefs free agent WR acquisition I think I've ever seen in my years as a fan. He knew the offense, he had gas left in the tank, and he had proof of years of production.

And he ended up being not worth the contract.

It's a shame Dorsey couldn't have managed the cap better so we could have seen him actually play with Mahomes. Remember how excited he was on twitter when we made the pick? Then two weeks later... POOF!

Anyway, if the guy is cheap, then sure. Try to get lucky. But I'd rather not see us burn money on some old slow big dude who can't figure out our offense by week 1.

Hammock Parties
02-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Yeah but this is new fluff. We haven't tasted this fluff before.

This fluff is fun.

Enjoy the journey.

CoMoChief
02-10-2018, 12:01 PM
I really hope Mahomes ends up being a great QB.

This franchise needs it badly. It's way long overdue.

Mahomes is the only reason why I'm even still a Chiefs fan right now after the Titans playoff collapse. But I'm willing to give Mahomes 3 years, possibly 4 to get the Chiefs to a SB, and if that doesn't happen then I'll probably be done as fan. Or least to the point where I won't support them financially, and would find other things to do on Sundays.

Not that anyone cares, or that the Chiefs care, but I think at some point, as a consumer you want some sort of return on your investment. At some point you get tired of spending $30 to park, $100/ticket (if you want to sit in lower bowl) $9 beers, and the overpriced yet undercooked food. Yes there are ways to cut those costs such as carpooling, sitting upstairs and eating/drinking before the game instead of inside the game, but you get the overall point. That's just per person, forget about taking the entire family of 4 etc, I can't see how people justify doing that.

But for the first time in my life, the Chiefs have gotten serious about the QB position, which is said to say that, because its the most important position in the game, yet the Chiefs for so long treated it like a 2nd tier priority. The Clarks only cared about the Chiefs being competitive just enough to keep the fans coming back for more because they're always in that 9-7 to 11-5 wildcard territory, but can never get over that hump (repeated early rd exits, in epic collapsing fashion mind you) and into the latter part of the postseaon, AFCCG/SB etc. So it keeps fans in that "Next yr will be THE YEAR" mode.

Well that well has finally dried up for me. But I'm willing to extend a probationary grace period if you will to the Chiefs franchise because it's going to (hopefully) be fun watching Mahomes make plays and develop. He has all the talent in the world to be a great QB in this league. And more importantly if he becomes a good QB, other players will want to come to KC in FA so they can play w/ a winner. Hopefully he's the QB that makes other players better and makes other players want to play well for him, that's how the best QB's elevate their team.

That's the one main thing Alex Smith did not have. He had to have a strong running game and good defense in order to succeed, and he was actually lucky to have spent the 2nd half of his career on teams w/ both (for the most part). People want to point to Smith's W/L record, but as we all know that doesn't tell the whole entire story, because when the Chiefs had trouble running the ball and/or had issues stopping other teams from scoring TD's, Smith wasn't the QB that would be able to keep up in a track meet. This past season was actually Smith's 1st real "quality" good season. There was the 5-6 mid season slump when nobody could do anything right, on both ends (That's all on Reid IMO). But other than that stretch Smith played about as well as any Chiefs QB has in a awfully long time. It's just that it took him 11-12 yrs in the NFL to do it.

I'll give Smith lots of credit for not turning the ball over much, in fact I'd say he was one of the best in the NFL at not turning the ball over during the time he was here, and winning the turnover battle was a major key to Smith's success. But with that conservative natured play, also brought it's fair share of maddening/head scratching stalling drives. It was pretty frustrating how many WR screens, checkdowns, lots of passes in between the chains or behind/at the LOS. IMO the offense's objective is to score a TD on EVERY drive, and the passing game should be used to obtain chunks of yardage and moving the first down marker (unless strategic clock mgmt/situational football says otherwise, which Reid is notoriously horrible at gauging).

Too many times the Chiefs were 3rd n long and Smith drops back for a 4-5 yard pass.

I hope that shit ends w/ Mahomes, and I think it will. He's the type of QB that wants to keep a play going and if shit breaks down, it's streetball time. Its risky but the great thing about it is, it's also harder to defend, and his arm is going to be able to exploit teams, and it's going to make us all giggle and get hard in pants.

CANT WAIT
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/3owyoYjmvDijECcQTu" width="480" height="370" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/3owyoYjmvDijECcQTu">via GIPHY</a></p>

O.city
02-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Only wr I’d target would be Robinson because you could potentially buy low with him coming off the ACL.

Otherwise, draft and develop WRs

RealSNR
02-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Yeah but this is new fluff. We haven't tasted this fluff before.

This fluff is fun.

Enjoy the journey.

I'm savoring all the fluff.

I'm building a YouTube playlist of all the media videos regarding Mahomes. I'll probably stop adding to it at some point, because what I really want is a record and archive of all the excitement and potential he represents. If he does end up owning faces in the NFL, I still want to remember this first part of the journey.

Hammock Parties
02-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Dude has excellent taste in food, too.

Have you found a favorite barbecue joint?

I haven’t necessarily gotten one favorite, but the one I go to the most is Q39. I like all of them. They’re all good at differen things and I’ve enjoyed trying them all.

What about a non-barbecue restaurant?

There’s a place called The Oliver and a place called Gram and Dun. There’s a lot of place I like to go, but I also try to mix it up. I’m still trying to get to all of the places that are around to find my favorites.

Hammock Parties
02-10-2018, 12:18 PM

I'm building a YouTube playlist of all the media videos regarding Mahomes. I'll probably stop adding to it at some point, because what I really want is a record and archive of all the excitement and potential he represents. If he does end up owning faces in the NFL, I still want to remember this first part of the journey.

This is good. PM me the link. I will use it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Document EVERYTHING.

Hammock Parties
02-10-2018, 12:27 PM
I'm willing to give Mahomes 3 years, possibly 4 to get the Chiefs to a SB, and if that doesn't happen then I'll probably be done as fan.

This is stupid.

Brett Favre didn't get to a Super Bowl until year six.

It took Peyton Manning even longer.

They both had seasons of 24+ INT along the way and both are going to the HOF.

Just chill and enjoy the ride...the ups and the downs.

As long as there is a spark of hope it's going to be fun.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 12:32 PM
This is stupid.

Brett Favre didn't get to a Super Bowl until year six.

It took Peyton Manning even longer.

They both had seasons of 24+ INT along the way and both are going to the HOF.

Just chill and enjoy the ride...the ups and the downs.

As long as there is a spark of hope it's going to be fun.

Unless that quote is taken out of context, then yes, that is a horrible take and expectation. When the Chiefs address their defensive woes, THEN you could expect a SB in a couple of years.

At least Mahomes will control TOP and keep the board lit up, but the defense needs to get back to creating turnovers and breaking the will of the opposing running game.

Marcellus
02-10-2018, 12:54 PM
How many gifs of Robinson being wide open and not thrown to or completely missed do you need to see to understand he wasnt the issue?

How many games like the Denver game do you need to watchwith Wilson to see he wasnt the issue?

Conley can get open, he isnt the issue.

You dont build a team by paying big $ for 2 WR and Hill is going to command big money in a few years.

Hill, Kelce, Hunt and few solid WR is all this offense needs with Mahomes.

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 01:02 PM
How many gifs of Robinson being wide open and not thrown to or completely missed do you need to see to understand he wasnt the issue?

How many games like the Denver game do you need to watchwith Wilson to see he wasnt the issue?

Conley can get open, he isnt the issue.

You dont build a team by paying big $ for 2 WR and Hill is going to command big money in a few years.

Hill, Kelce, Hunt and few solid WR is all this offense needs with Mahomes.

Yep, count me among those who dont believe we need another receiver right now... even if Harris remains the #2 tight end, there are still more than enough weapons for Pat to get started with

Other than LG and backup QB, this offseason needs to be all about the defense

TimeForWasp
02-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Plus Mahomes likes Kemp and Deiter too.

Dave Lane
02-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Holy Batballs Batman I've got a boner too

It may be contagious. Let's get this fucking party rolling!!

MahiMike
02-10-2018, 02:06 PM
I'd love Coutee or Chark out of LSU.

Even if you believe we have enough small receivers, which we honestly don't because we're likely losing Wilson and DAT both this year, I'd like someone who can step in and halfway replicate Tyreek's skill set if necessary. Coutee and Chark can both stretch the defense and make guys miss.

Good post. And I believe we'll go WR w/our 1st pick.

MahiMike
02-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Dude, Allen Robinson is a 50/50 WR. Throw it up and let him get it in a crowd kinda guy. He's perfect for Mahomes.

Buehler445
02-10-2018, 02:48 PM

I had really tempered expectations going into the Donk game.

Then the Donk game Happened and I got hyped. I probably need to walk those back some but man it’s fucking hard when he stepped in during the season for Alex and you could sit there and know “Alex would have sold out on the run there,” “Alex would have checked down there,” “Alex would have chucked it out of bounds there.”

When Foles took over for Smith you could easily point out the throws Smith wouldnt make. But it was also painfully obvious which throws Smith would hit. But with Mahomes there is SO MUCH that he will go get that Smith won’t. Smith also won’t throw that bad INT but I honestly think the plays that Smith would have quit (which leads to empty drives) on will more than offset the picks Mahomes will throw.

Like, I tried to brace for growing pains. And I think I could have if there was an off-season between the performances but where the games between the 2 were a week apart it exacerbated the differences between the 2 dudes. I really think the Chiefs don’t go backward at QB. I think you won’t see as much in terms of fancy shit in the first 15 plays but other than that I truly believe Mahomes will be better right now.

Coogs
02-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Good post. And I believe we'll go WR w/our 1st pick.
Follow the Colts after Luck, and Lions of Millen era model of drafting huh? Spend those early picks on WR's.
:shake:

Chiefshrink
02-10-2018, 02:58 PM
I had really tempered expectations going into the Donk game.

Then the Donk game Happened and I got hyped. I probably need to walk those back some but man it’s ****ing hard when he stepped in during the season for Alex and you could sit there and know “Alex would have sold out on the run there,” “Alex would have checked down there,” “Alex would have chucked it out of bounds there.”

When Foles took over for Smith you could easily point out the throws Smith wouldnt make. But it was also painfully obvious which throws Smith would hit. But with Mahomes there is SO MUCH that he will go get that Smith won’t. Smith also won’t throw that bad INT but I honestly think the plays that Smith would have quit (which leads to empty drives) on will more than offset the picks Mahomes will throw.

Like, I tried to brace for growing pains. And I think I could have if there was an off-season between the performances but where the games between the 2 were a week apart it exacerbated the differences between the 2 dudes. I really think the Chiefs don’t go backward at QB. I think you won’t see as much in terms of fancy shit in the first 15 plays but other than that I truly believe Mahomes will be better right now.

Excellent "football eyes" !!:thumb:

I have the donk game saved on DVR and continue to replay what is in store for all of us this upcoming season now that we are in the desert like off-season. :thumb::D

Chief Northman
02-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Dude, Allen Robinson is a 50/50 WR. Throw it up and let him get it in a crowd kinda guy. He's perfect for Mahomes.

Watch out Mike. Prepare to be flamed. Some here prefer we start guys from the practice roster and that we are just fine at WR despite witnessing our offense grind to a halt the instant Kelce went down in the playoff game.

Mahomes will fix a lot of things, but not everything. Getting him a bonafide top target who can win one on ones, track the deep ball, get open in the red zone and sport dependable hands is how you set up your new franchise stud for success.

Chiefshrink
02-10-2018, 03:04 PM
but where the games between the 2 were a week apart it exacerbated the differences between the 2 dudes. I really think the Chiefs don’t go backward at QB. I think you won’t see as much in terms of fancy shit in the first 15 plays but other than that I truly believe Mahomes will be better right now.

In bold you are dead on. And why I posed the question in a thread IF Smith went down to injury during the playoffs or played horrifically bad with still a chance to win the game would Mahomes give us a better chance at winning of which I definitely thought he would.

Chiefshrink
02-10-2018, 03:07 PM

Watch out Mike. Prepare to be flamed. Some here prefer we start guys from the practice roster and that we are just fine at WR despite witnessing our offense grind to a halt the instant Kelce went down in the playoff game.

Mahomes will fix a lot of things, but not everything. Getting him a bonafide top target who can win one on ones, track the deep ball, get open in the red zone and sport dependable hands is how you set up your new franchise stud for success.

:clap::clap::clap:

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 03:08 PM

Why cant Conley be that guy, or Robinson or Chesson?

Some of you guys act like we're gonna have eleventy billion dollars available, Veach is surely looking ahead to...

Getting our draft class signed

Keeping our own upcoming free agents like Peters and LDT

The unquestionable need for defensive FA talent this year, because the draft alone will not cut it

In a perfect world sure, I'd love to get the kid a surefire upgrade at #2 this year... but the 2018 priority is defense

A fancy new receiver is a luxury, not a necessity

Chiefshrink
02-10-2018, 03:15 PM

You do have a point considering who was at QB, BUT AR produced BIG with Blake Bortles even. Just like Deandre Hopkins with Hoyer. Some WRs are just BIG playmakers regardless the QB.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-10-2018, 03:27 PM

Some of you guys act like we're gonna have eleventy billion dollars available, Veach is surely looking ahead to...

The unquestionable need for defensive FA talent this year, because the draft alone will not cut it

In a perfect world sure, I'd love to get the kid a surefire upgrade at #2 this year... but the 2018 priority is defense

You're right about looking to the future (although LDT is already under a new 5-year contract).

We have some huge names that will need to likely be paid in the coming years. Now, looking at our cap room beyond 2018, we should have the money to keep said players in large part, but if Veach starts spewing guaranteed money all over the place to outside FAs then that won't be the case.

I certainly don't condone being cheap and relying strictly on draft picks, but Veach also has to keep in mind the future of guys like Peters, Jones, Hill, Ragland, Fuller, Hunt, Mahomes, etc.

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 03:36 PM
You do have a point considering who was at QB, BUT AR produced BIG with Blake Bortles even. Just like Deandre Hopkins with Hoyer. Some WRs are just BIG playmakers regardless the QB.

Like I said, its not that I wouldnt love a guaranteed upgrade... but just look at what Mahomes did with our backups against the majority of Denvers starters

Guess I'm just a lot more worried about getting the defense right this year, because I firmly believe Mahomes can make proverbial chicken salad out of chicken shit

You're right about looking to the future (although LDT is already under a new 5-year contract).

We have some huge names that will need to likely be paid in the coming years. Now, looking at our cap room beyond 2018, we should have the money to keep said players in large part, but if Veach starts spewing guaranteed money all over the place to outside FAs then that won't be the case.

I certainly don't condone being cheap and relying strictly on draft picks, but Veach also has to keep in mind the future of guys like Peters, Jones, Hill, Ragland, Fuller, Hunt, Mahomes, etc.

Had a feeling I might be wrong about LDT, but was too lazy to look it up :)

But yeah, we really need to focus on defense this year... then if 2018 shows that the O skill players need tweaked, it can be done in 2019 when we'll know exactly WHAT needs to be tweaked

Buehler445
02-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Have you watched Mahomes play? He’s not a chuck it to TG and Home for the best guy. Besides that, if you want that Kelce is likely going to be a better 50/50 ball guy than about any WR.

He needs guys that can move and catch. Especially after the play breaks down he needs a dude that will get loose and catch what he throws.

aturnis
02-10-2018, 04:07 PM

Terez is trying to tell you there. This isn’t your average fluff. This is as genuine as it gets. Why do you think Reid is being so out of character with the hype. I mean, the guy had the balls to tell Gruden “you better get a good DC” because he knows what he has.Link to Reid telling Gruden he'd better get a good DC?

Hammock Parties
02-10-2018, 04:15 PM
http://images.footballfanatics.com/partners/KansasCityChiefs/2017/2017/RedesignAug/CHEF_DT_PLAYERSPOTS_8_24_17_MAHOMES.jpg

pugsnotdrugs19
02-10-2018, 04:31 PM
http://images.footballfanatics.com/partners/KansasCityChiefs/2017/2017/RedesignAug/CHEF_DT_PLAYERSPOTS_8_24_17_MAHOMES.jpg

Looks like Pat is struggling with breaking one off.

Sandy Vagina
02-10-2018, 04:35 PM

Agreed. Most of the resources available have to go to rebuilding the defense. Give the young WRs a chance to develop.

SAUTO
02-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Link to Reid telling Gruden he'd better get a good DC?

Grudens mouth

thegame214
02-10-2018, 04:42 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/tkelce?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tkelce</a> let me know brother ✌�� <a href="https://t.co/R5FZYvu5CL">https://t.co/R5FZYvu5CL</a></p>&mdash; Ty Hill (@cheetah) <a href="https://twitter.com/cheetah/status/962451015336423424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 10, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVs97YdX4AAl6Ks?format=jpg&name=medium

pugsnotdrugs19
02-10-2018, 05:00 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/tkelce?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tkelce</a> let me know brother ✌�� <a href="https://t.co/R5FZYvu5CL">https://t.co/R5FZYvu5CL</a></p>&mdash; Ty Hill (@cheetah) <a href="https://twitter.com/cheetah/status/962451015336423424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 10, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVs97YdX4AAl6Ks?format=jpg&name=medium

Kelce just replied. Can't embed right now but he stated, "Let's make it happen then!"

Hammock Parties
02-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Looks like Pat is struggling with breaking one off.

He's taking a shit in Alex's mouth.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 06:16 PM

Show me All-22 of the above mentioned players getting wide open and Smith doing his usual 'Do Not Want'(!), and I will consider your position.
Veach is surely looking ahead to...

For the love of God why?

His was a nice story and a cute little novelty, but it's time to upgrade across the board if we're serious about creating a better running game. If you possess two of the most gifted backs( RB/QB )in the league, can you at least stop shopping at the Dollar Tree for the linemen necessary to take full advantage of this situation?

but the 2018 priority is defense

I have a feeling it's going to remain a "priority" as long as it's being run by Coach Useless.

If a "fancy new receiver" is sitting at BPA, then the Chiefs had best acquire a fancy new receiver.

staylor26
02-10-2018, 06:29 PM
You’re aware that LDT is one of the best pass blocking guards in football right?

bigjosh
02-10-2018, 06:36 PM
You guys are both aware that LDT is under contract for 5 more years right? Dorsey gave him an extension last off season.

RealSNR
02-10-2018, 06:43 PM
There was a pretty big thread about it that stayed on the front page for awhile.

And when we fired Dorsey, LDT was on the forefront of conversation of dudes that Dorsey way overpaid in his time here

Red Dawg
02-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Did Dorsry give LDT and extension? Anyone know?

Tribal Warfare
02-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Did Dorsry give LDT and extension? Anyone know?

yes

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 06:52 PM
You’re aware that LDT is one of the best pass blocking guards in football right?

How's his run game?

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 06:55 PM
There was a pretty big thread about it that stayed on the front page for awhile.

And when we fired Dorsey, LDT was on the forefront of conversation of dudes that Dorsey way overpaid in his time here

You are correct. Something like Will Shields money for Dollar Menu quality, yes?

staylor26
02-10-2018, 06:55 PM
How's his run game?

Adequate. It’s the OL as a whole that’s the issue.

RunKC
02-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Only a complete ****ing moron would want LDT cut. He’s our best OL. FFS.

bigjosh
02-10-2018, 06:59 PM
LDT is fine. Jeez people.

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Show me All-22 of the above mentioned players getting wide open and Smith doing his usual 'Do Not Want'(!), and I will consider your position.

For the love of God why?

His was a nice story and a cute little novelty, but it's time to upgrade across the board if we're serious about creating a better running game. If you possess two of the most gifted backs( RB/QB )in the league, can you at least stop shopping at the Dollar Tree for the linemen necessary to take full advantage of this situation?

I have a feeling it's going to remain a "priority" as long as it's being run by Coach Useless.

If a "fancy new receiver" is sitting at BPA, then the Chiefs had best acquire a fancy new receiver.

Dude, its like you havent even watched the Mahomes as a Chief highlights... I'd swear at least half of his OMG throws go to Robinson, there seems to be a genuine connection between them

Hell while we're at it, if the Denver game is any indicator, he has a rapport with Wilson as well

But even IF he and Al dont have any genuine chemistry, it just goes to show how good Mahomes can make just about anyone look... this is common knowledge, right?

He is one of those guys who will take yours and beat his

As for LDT, man you're coming outta left field here on me, that guy is probably our most well rounded lineman... a great mix of power, size and technical skill

MahiMike
02-10-2018, 07:11 PM

Standard procedure for most NFL teams. After getting your franchise QB, you either get a LT or a nice new target to throw to.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 07:13 PM
Adequate. It’s the OL as a whole that’s the issue.

You need both if you're planning on being effective for a complete season. But then again, Reid will run his lame-assed screen running game, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Only a complete ****ing moron would want LDT cut. He’s our best OL. FFS.

And, he's "adequate"!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Dude, its like you havent even watched the Mahomes as a Chief highlights... I'd swear at least half of his OMG throws go to Robinson, there seems to be a genuine connection between them

Hell while we're at it, if the Denver game is any indicator, he has a rapport with Wilson as well

But even IF he and Al dont have any genuine chemistry, it just goes to show how good Mahomes can make just about anyone look... this is common knowledge, right?

He is one of those guys who will take yours and beat his

As for LDT, man you're coming outta left field here on me, that guy is probably our most well rounded lineman... a great mix of power, size and technical skill

I have no doubt about that, I'd simply prefer to see KC upgrade if at all possible.

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 07:20 PM
You need both if you're planning on being effective for a complete season. But then again, Reid will run his lame-assed screen running game, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Dude, Smith is gone... you can let your guard down now :)

Mahomes will even make the bubble screens look better, the extra half second his velocity provides will make a yuge difference

RunKC
02-10-2018, 07:22 PM
And, he's "adequate"!

He’s one of the 5 best guards in the league

RealSNR
02-10-2018, 07:26 PM
I have no doubt about that, I'd simply prefer to see KC upgrade if at all possible.

Then upgrade the entire left side, INCLUDING Morse. All those guys are significantly worse than LDT.

LDT is pretty damn good

Easy 6
02-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Then upgrade the entire left side, INCLUDING Morse. All those guys are significantly worse than LDT.

LDT is pretty damn good

Fulton, LDT, and Schwartz are the strength of this line, no doubt about it

I'll be absolutely shocked if Morse regains the starting C position, Veach hopefully sees him as an ideal interior backup, and thats it

Red Dawg
02-10-2018, 07:40 PM
yes

I know. I was being a smart ass to whats his face

Setsuna
02-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Jags Allen Robinson? He is mid tier talent. Please take him so we can fleece you easy. ROFLROFLROFL

thegame214
02-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Jags Allen Robinson? He is mid tier talent. Please take him so we can fleece you easy. ROFLROFLROFL

A season with 1400 yards and 14 TDs is pretty mid tier

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2018, 08:24 PM

Fleece this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlFC_vgFtqk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

staylor26
02-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Fleece this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlFC_vgFtqk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Jags really missed out on a potential dynasty not taking Mahomes.

To make matters worse they took a fucking brokedick RB who will probably make it through all 16 games once or twice in his career if he’s lucky.

gonefishin53
02-10-2018, 10:35 PM
After what Mahomes played with at Texas Tech, I think he'd really like a defense that forces 3 or 4 punts a game and forces turnovers. He's got a top RB, WR, and TE already and he didn't have any problem utilizing Wilson and Robinson vs Denver's defense. Spend on defense in free agency and the draft.

aturnis
02-10-2018, 11:53 PM
I think he'll better utilize Conley too. I really think Chiefs fans will be pleasantly surprised with Conleys ability when he returns.

Dunerdr
02-11-2018, 12:09 PM
a little disappointed that green bays wr plan didn't get mentioned. draft, develop, repeat. if mahomes is the real deal hell make a receiver look good, like hes done with Wilson. lets look at what reids ideal offenses have looked like.. hill is probably an upgrade over desean Jackson, Kelce is better than celek ever dreamed of, conley is avant-esque maybe better, now you've got a maclin hole to fill. can robinson be that guy? I don't see why not hes bigger and similarly faster has fantastic foot work and mahomes seems to click with him. then you develop chesson whos a big body and at one point as fast as conley. id say draft a mid round quick guy to play slot in wilsons absence for the up coming years. you just cant spend huge money on a guy whos gonna get looked at after Kelce, hill, and probably hunt. now if we want to spend the cheddar on a lineman I'm all in. then attack defensive weakness in the draft.

The Franchise
02-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Hill
Conley
Robinson
Chesson
Kemp

We’re just fucking fine at WR.

SAUTO
02-11-2018, 12:27 PM
a little disappointed that green bays wr plan didn't get mentioned. draft, develop, repeat. if mahomes is the real deal hell make a receiver look good, like hes done with Wilson. lets look at what reids ideal offenses have looked like.. hill is probably an upgrade over desean Jackson, Kelce is better than celek ever dreamed of, conley is avant-esque maybe better, now you've got a maclin hole to fill. can robinson be that guy? I don't see why not hes bigger and similarly faster has fantastic foot work and mahomes seems to click with him. then you develop chesson whos a big body and at one point as fast as conley. id say draft a mid round quick guy to play slot in wilsons absence for the up coming years. you just cant spend huge money on a guy whos gonna get looked at after Kelce, hill, and probably hunt. now if we want to spend the cheddar on a lineman I'm all in. then attack defensive weakness in the draft.

Its been mentioned multiple times here

SAUTO
02-11-2018, 12:28 PM

To make matters worse they took a fucking brokedick RB who will probably make it through all 16 games once or twice in his career if he’s lucky.

They would have won the super bowl this year.

SAUTO
02-11-2018, 12:32 PM
My bold prediction?

Robinson has over 800 yards next year. Tyreek 1000+ kelce 1000+

The Franchise
02-11-2018, 12:33 PM
My bold prediction?

Where do you see Conley?

Dunerdr
02-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Its been mentioned multiple times here

I guess I missed it in this thread.

SAUTO
02-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Where do you see Conley?

Around 400.

SAUTO
02-11-2018, 07:35 PM
I guess I missed it in this thread.

Its Been mentioned enough no one probably wanted to talk about it again

bigjosh
02-11-2018, 07:45 PM
They would have won the super bowl this year.

They will move up and get their guy this year. No way Tom Caughlin is settling for bortles.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-11-2018, 07:53 PM
My bold prediction?

That's not bold with Mahomy at QB

This is Bold :

Robinson,wilson and conley over 800 each

Mahomy throws 5ooo

MahiMike
02-11-2018, 08:07 PM

To make matters worse they took a ****ing brokedick RB who will probably make it through all 16 games once or twice in his career if he’s lucky.

Hey that's MY line. I've been telling them that here in Jax and so far they have no clue. They'll find out soon enough.

Rausch
02-12-2018, 08:33 AM

Wow.

Just wow.

TimeForWasp
02-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Trade Conley if he has any trade worth at all. He doesn't do shit.

Skyy God
02-12-2018, 06:36 PM

Developed into a reliable chain mover.

Still on his rookie contract.

staylor26
02-12-2018, 06:43 PM
Wow.

Just wow.

Yea, that’s one of my favorite quotes from this spank material.

kcpasco
02-12-2018, 07:10 PM

I think Conley is a solid player. Not everyone is a superstar and he’s cheap. Let’s give him a chance with Mahomes.

TimeForWasp
02-12-2018, 07:11 PM
I think Conley is a solid player. Not everyone is a superstar and he’s cheap. Let’s give him a chance with Mahomes.

Well , I actually hope he proves me wrong.