PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Offseason Planet Evaluation: Dustin Colquitt

Rain Man
02-13-2018, 11:22 AM
We're getting close to the end of our offseason evaluations. We're in the C's now in reverse alphabetical order.

Dustin played in all 16 games last year, and was our starting punter in every game. He punted the ball 65 times for a 45.2 yard gross average, and had 0 punts blocked.

Dayze
02-13-2018, 11:26 AM
$63k per punt.

not a bad gig if you can get it.

BlackHelicopters
02-13-2018, 11:34 AM
This point in his career indicates he is part of the wrong 53.

loochy
02-13-2018, 11:57 AM
He's pretty good and all...

...but he's WAY too expensive.

The difference he makes vs what we could get out of some UDFA is not proportional to the salary cap hit. Cut DQ, go with some kid, and use the money elsewhere.

Rain Man
02-13-2018, 11:58 AM
$63k per punt.

Well, sure, but he deserves pay for all of those practice punts, too. If you throw those in, he gets maybe $1,000 per punt. There are probably third-world punters in South America who make that much.

Molitoth
02-13-2018, 11:59 AM

The difference he makes vs what we could get out of some UDFA is not proportional to the salary cap hit. Cut DQ, go with some kid, and use the money elsewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pretty much this.

Was not impressive in 2017 at all.

Rain Man
02-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Interesting factoid: his gross punt average this year was above his career average. So in terms of leg strength, there is no decline.

I feel like he had a really bad year on accuracy this year, though, and that's always been his strength. Is that a fluke or is that a decline?

CoMoChief
02-13-2018, 12:02 PM
No reason to pay out the ass for an aging punter.

Just pick one up off the street and move on.

Tell Mahomes to score at will and keep the punter off the field.

Rain Man
02-13-2018, 12:08 PM
No reason to pay out the ass for an aging punter.

Just pick one up off the street and move on.

Tell Mahomes to score at will and keep the punter off the field.

That last part is a good point. With Mahomes, I doubt that we'll even need a punter, other than holding for extra point attempts.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-13-2018, 12:26 PM
If we can get the Texas punter ,move on ,other than that keep him.

Rain Man
02-13-2018, 12:27 PM

Is he really good at holding for extra point attempts? Because we're going to need that a lot.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Is he really good at holding for extra point attempts? Because we're going to need that a lot.

By the end of week 1 he should have enough practice in :D

Frosty
02-13-2018, 12:36 PM
That last part is a good point. With Mahomes, I doubt that we'll even need a punter, other than holding for extra point attempts.

This is something that concerns me a little about moving on from Colquitt (which I think they should). Colquitt is very good at holding on kicks. We saw some examples of what not to do in the play-off games (and Superbowl) this year. I'm hoping bringing in a new punter/holder doesn't mess up Butker in the short term.

Easy 6
02-13-2018, 01:12 PM

JakeF
02-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Overpaid, we need to look for a replacement. Don't get rid of him until we find a replacement.

gblowfish
02-13-2018, 02:41 PM
$63k per punt.

He also holds for Buttkicker and that would factor in to his pay. So, maybe that's down to $50k per punt...

DaneMcCloud
02-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Overpaid, we need to look for a replacement. Don't get rid of him until we find a replacement.

He's not under contract for 2018 and no, the Chiefs should not re-sign him.

It's time to get young at the position (and cheap, too).

BlackOp
02-13-2018, 03:09 PM

Draft Michael Dickson, late, in the 4th....I value punters/ST more than most. :D

Rain Man
02-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Dustin's grade surprises me a little. We still like him and think he did a good job in 2017. We just think he's on the decline and he didn't have the MVP season that we've come to expect.

3.17 Grade (4.0 point scale)
-0.48 Performance Relative to Expectations (+ = Positive Surprise, - = Negative Surprise)
-0.64 Desired Future Role (+ is larger role, - is smaller role)
-0.50 Ascending/Descending (+ is ascending, - is descending)
3.78 Trade Value (Round, also, zero = 2 1st rounders, negative = wouldn't trade)

Beef Supreme
02-15-2018, 01:18 PM
We won't even need a punter next year. We will score on every possession!

gonefishin53
02-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Toub can find a good punter that is a lot cheaper than Colquitt. He is the best special teams coach ever.

Rasputin
02-15-2018, 04:05 PM
CROH

He's been this team reining MVP for like last 14 seasons.

I say we retire #2 and let his name in the Chiefs Ring Of Honor

All hail :hail: MVP Dustin Colquitt

SuperBowl4
02-15-2018, 08:23 PM

The difference he makes vs what we could get out of some UDFA is not proportional to the salary cap hit. Cut DQ, go with some kid, and use the money elsewhere.That sounds like something Carl Peterson would say. Remember Nick Lowery?

Chief Northman
02-15-2018, 09:22 PM
I’m good with Colquitt returning. He still is one of the best at what he does. They probably can convince him to take less than what he has earned the last couple seasons.

And LOL at everyone talking like we will just easily draft the Texas punter. 32 teams are interested in him. The Chiefs need to focus their picks elsewhere.