1 year deal per Terez Paylor.

Discuss...

thegame214
02-16-2018, 07:06 PM
We shore up the defense this team will be god damn scary

TRR
02-16-2018, 07:07 PM
More from Paylor on Twitter...

Amerson has a agreed to a 1-year deal worth $2.25M base with escalating incentives, I’m told.

MahiMike
02-16-2018, 07:08 PM
This signing makes me amorous.

Simply Red
02-16-2018, 07:11 PM
any good?

Urc Burry
02-16-2018, 07:12 PM
I think Tyreek got him benched against us if I remember right. He’s been good in the past.. Not a bad prove it deal

prhom
02-16-2018, 07:13 PM
any good?

Probably 3rd best CB on the team, is my guess.

Simply Red
02-16-2018, 07:14 PM

is he nice?

prhom
02-16-2018, 07:14 PM
I think Tyreek got him benched against us if I remember right. He’s been good in the past.. Not a bad prove it deal

He also embarrassed Casey Heyward, who was pretty good otherwise. Hill tends to do that to guys!

ChiliConCarnage
02-16-2018, 07:16 PM
He's uh a guy

prhom
02-16-2018, 07:16 PM
is he nice?

I sure hope not! I want mean, nasty corners on this team.

Urc Burry
02-16-2018, 07:20 PM
From the 15-16 season... PFF’s most improved player, but I think he’s struggled since
David Amerson, CB, Oakland Raiders

Amerson was the Redskins’ second-round pick in 2013, and saw the field in every game during his rookie season. He struggled with consistency throughout the year, and finished with a relatively low coverage grade, which placed him 92nd out of 110 cornerbacks. Last season his coverage grade dropped even further, and he slid all the way down to 106th at his position. Amerson was released after Week 1 this season, and was subsequently picked up by the Raiders, where he’s been a completely different player ever since.

The former NC State standout posted a positive production grade in 2015, despite being targeted 104 times (sixth-most among NFL CBs). On those targets, he allowed just 58 completions and one touchdown. He tied for fifth overall with 13 passes defensed, and also picked off four passes. Last season, he allowed more completions (61) on fewer targets (91), and an NFL-high 10 touchdowns when targeted. Quarterbacks had a 140.2 rating when targeting Amerson in 2014; this season, that number has dropped to 62.7. His improvements have brought him up to an 83.4 overall grade, good for 15th out of all cornerbacks this season

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2018, 07:21 PM

Nah, he hasn’t been as good as Steve Nelson but it’s a good signing.

He’s way better than Gaines, Acker or Reasor.

The Franchise
02-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Hopefully not a ton of it guaranteed.

Best22
02-16-2018, 07:22 PM
Once again Veach finds a highly touted college player that another team quit on.

Unlike Ragland, Amerson has already had some success in the pros

Chief Northman
02-16-2018, 07:25 PM
Taking a wait and see on this one. Is he CB#2 opposite Peters? (Kendall Fuller in slot in nickel, outside in Base).

Is my dream of Kyle Fuller to the Chiefs dead?

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 07:25 PM
6'2 going 205 or so, 4.44 at the combine... kinda looks like another Sean Smith roll of the dice, he checks all of the same boxes with the same questions about hip flexibility, agility and beckpedal that Smith did

I'm down as hell with this, nothing is guaranteed... but we turned an under performing Smith into a quality CB, so theres no good reason to not expect similar production here

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/david-amerson?id=2540170

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Taking a wait and see on this one. Is he CB#2 opposite Peters? (Kendall Fuller in slot in nickel, outside in Base).

Is my dream of Kyle Fuller to the Chiefs dead?

I think he’s the #4 guy behind Peters, Fuller and Nelson.

$2.25 million says backup and depth, not starter.

loochy
02-16-2018, 07:28 PM
I REALLY like how Veach is attacking things now instead of waiting

Getting things done

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2018, 07:29 PM
I REALLY like how Veach is attacking things now instead of waiting

Getting things done

I expect Hali to released next week or the week after, to give fans time to “mourn” the cutting of Derrick Johnson.

Simply Red
02-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Are his dreams about Kyle Fuller dead?

prhom
02-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Nah, he hasn’t been as good as Steve Nelson but it’s a good signing.

He’s way better than Gaines, Acker or Reasor.

It’s interesting because Fuller was really good at slot last year, and Nelson has played most at slot CB. I think Amerson played outside for the Raiders. I just wonder who will play outside opposite Peters? Amerson, Fuller, Nelson or someone not yet on the roster? Very interesting!

nychief
02-16-2018, 07:35 PM
6'2 going 205 or so, 4.44 at the combine... kinda looks like another Sean Smith roll of the dice, he checks all of the same boxes with the same questions about hip flexibility, agility and beckpedal that Smith did

I'm down as hell with this, nothing is guaranteed... but we turned an under performing Smith into a quality CB, so theres no good reason to not expect similar production here

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/david-amerson?id=2540170

Sean smith wasn't a roll of the dice.

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2018, 07:37 PM
It’s interesting because Fuller was really good at slot last year, and Nelson has played most at slot CB. I think Amerson played outside for the Raiders. I just wonder who will play outside opposite Peters? Amerson, Fuller, Nelson or someone not yet on the roster? Very interesting!

Scot McCloughan said that Fuller is equally adept at outside as he is inside, so I’d expect him outside for the first two downs.

It probably depends on matchups as to whether or not he slips inside on 3rd down.

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 07:38 PM

Why not?

carcosa
02-16-2018, 07:40 PM
TO DA SHUP!!!

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 07:40 PM
JMO— but I think Amerson was signed to be the outside corner in nickel packages. There’s just no way he agrees to a deal that is filled with escalators if he doesn’t believe he’s going to play a good share of snaps.

RunKC
02-16-2018, 07:41 PM
This is a great depth signing which allows Fuller to excel on 3rd down in the slot. You want Sutton to stop dropping Houston in coverage? Then fix the secondary, which Veach is doing.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 07:41 PM
Amerson was burned by Hill, but he also had a pick-six on Smith in 2015...

prhom
02-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Scot McCloughan said that Fuller is equally adept at outside as he is inside, so I’d expect him outside for the first two downs.

It probably depends on matchups as to whether or not he slips inside on 3rd down.

Excellent, that should really help. If we have Fuller able to play outside or inside, we gain a lot of flexibility in terms of depth.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-16-2018, 07:43 PM
The guy is garbage.

Raider fans were ecstatic when he got cut.

The only good thing about this is that we are not overly committed to him.

A “meh” signing in other words.

nychief
02-16-2018, 07:45 PM
Why not?

It was a three year contract, he was signed to start. All I'm saying is he wasn't a lotto ticket like this guy.

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 07:47 PM
JMO— but I think Amerson was signed to be the outside corner in nickel packages. There’s just no way he agrees to a deal that is filled with escalators if he doesn’t believe he’s going to play a good share of snaps.

This, no doubt about it

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Worst case scenario, he still provides an upgrade to our CB depth.

SAUTO
02-16-2018, 07:48 PM
I expect Hali to released next week or the week after, to give fans time to “mourn” the cutting of Derrick Johnson.

I thought dj said his restructure last year voided this year?

DaKernal
02-16-2018, 07:52 PM
Amerson sucks. He's horrible. He was getting torched in every game I watched the Raiders play. My best friend (raider fan) is laughing his ass off at this. No way he's better than Nelson.

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 07:52 PM
The guy is garbage.

It was a three year contract, he was signed to start. All I'm saying is he wasn't a lotto ticket like this guy.

He is a second round pick who under performed early on, exactly the same as Sean Smith

Obviously thats no guarantee he will be as good for us as Smith was, but at least recognize that this was indeed a good 'roll of the dice'... we've had some luck with guys like Amerson before

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2018, 07:54 PM
I thought dj said his restructure last year voided this year?

Yes but the Chiefs decided not to bring him back.

He wanted to come back, even on a cheap deal but the Chiefs said they were moving on from him.

The Franchise
02-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Chiefs signed CB David Amerson to a one-year, $2.25 million contract.
Amerson can earn another $3.75 million through incentives. This, of course, is not the destination the Raiders would have picked. Amerson, 26, stays in the AFC West with Kansas City, which needs a starting right cornerback across from LCB Marcus Peters with Kendall Fuller in the slot. Amerson was a 2015 revelation in Oakland after a trade from Washington, then fizzled out immediately after signing a 2016 five-year, $34 million deal. On a one-year prove-it contract with the Chiefs, Amerson will have full motivation in 2018.

Looks like the max he can get is $6 million.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 07:57 PM
He is a second round pick who under performed early on, exactly the same as Sean Smith

Obviously thats no guarantee he will be as good for us as Smith was, but at least recognize that this was indeed a good 'roll of the dice'... we've had some luck with guys like Amerson before

Not to mention, Smith sure was a stud here... and then he went to Oakland. And looked like AIDS.

Point being, who other than Khalil Mack has been consistently good in that defense for the past several years? No one since Asomugha.

Amerson is coming here on a prove-it deal, and he gets to play in a secondary with 3 Pro Bowl/AP level players around him. If it’s my money, I’d bet on him having success.

TwistedChief
02-16-2018, 07:59 PM
Depth in the secondary! A wasteland last season. Not sure I like him more than Terrence Mitchell but I can appreciate the Chiefs trying to shake things up if they see potential. He’s no worse than Gaines.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2018, 07:59 PM
He's better than Gaines, but he still sucks.

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Not to mention, Smith sure was a stud here... and then he went to Oakland. And looked like AIDS.

Point being, who other than Khalil Mack has been consistently good in that defense for the past several years? No one since Asomugha.

Amerson is coming here on a prove-it deal, and he gets to play in a secondary with 3 Pro Bowl/AP level players around him. If it’s my money, I’d bet on him having success.

Jack Dios Mio, and Ken Norton Jr could **** up a cup of coffee

If Amerson has any talent, Al Harris and Emmitt Thomas will find it

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 08:07 PM
So this is interesting. Apparently Amerson missed the last 9 games last season. Team doctors were shooting up his shoulder at half time of the first Chiefs game when he complained about his foot being injured. This was the same game that Tyreek burned him, of course. Not that the foot injury would have mattered, but the point is he wasn’t healthy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22337376/oakland-raiders-cut-starting-cornerback-david-amerson

In fact, it was against the Kansas City Chiefs on Oct. 19 when Amerson was in the locker room, getting his upper body checked out by team staff, that he noticed his lower body was hurting.

"Right before halftime, they were shooting up my shoulder and I told the trainers, 'Yo, something's wrong with my foot,'" Amerson recalled. "It felt like a burning sensation and it felt weak."

And while he said he was not diagnosed with a Lisfranc fracture, nor could he recall a specific play in which the foot was injured, Amerson said he did have ligament damage.

"It couldn't take the impact," Amerson said. "I couldn't push or cut."

Chief Northman
02-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Peters, Fuller, Amerson, Nelson, Mitchell,
Out: Revis, Acker, and likely Gaines

Yeah, we are better in the secondary already.

I think Parker will get cut too. They need some range and speed at safety along with willing tacklers. I think McQuay sticks as cheap depth along with Terrell, but I expect a high pick investment in safety. Murray and Sorenson were not good last season.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 08:14 PM
From a Raiders forum...

Amerson, if healthy ( A BIG IF), will look much better on KC defense. I think the guy is very talented but has been badly misused and poorly coached. That’s said, I think his release was mutually beneficial for both parties.

KC signing him actually helps us if there was any chance he would file and win a grievance against us. He could potentially still do so since it seems his contract isn’t fully guaranteed with KC and was guaranteed for injury with us; however, he will probaly be much less inclined to pursue this since he’s caught on with another team

Chief Northman
02-16-2018, 08:14 PM
And one perk:

Amerson does not count against the compensatory pick formula as he was released by Oakland.

Watch Veach do the same with Wilkerson out of New York.... :)

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 08:15 PM
And one perk:

Amerson does not count against the compensatory pick formula as he was released by Oakland.

Watch Veach do the same with Wilkerson out of New York.... :)

If we could sign Mo and draft Tim Settle, our DL could be bonkers.

RunKC
02-16-2018, 08:18 PM
He was very good before he got hurt last year.

David Amerson, CB, Oakland Raiders

Amerson was the Redskins’ second-round pick in 2013, and saw the field in every game during his rookie season. He struggled with consistency throughout the year, and finished with a relatively low coverage grade, which placed him 92nd out of 110 cornerbacks. Last season his coverage grade dropped even further, and he slid all the way down to 106th at his position. Amerson was released after Week 1 this season, and was subsequently picked up by the Raiders, where he’s been a completely different player ever since.

The former NC State standout posted a positive production grade in 2015, despite being targeted 104 times (sixth-most among NFL CBs). On those targets, he allowed just 58 completions and one touchdown. He tied for fifth overall with 13 passes defensed, and also picked off four passes. Last season, he allowed more completions (61) on fewer targets (91), and an NFL-high 10 touchdowns when targeted. Quarterbacks had a 140.2 rating when targeting Amerson in 2014; this season, that number has dropped to 62.7. His improvements have brought him up to an 83.4 overall grade, good for 15th out of all cornerbacks this season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pffs-most-improved-players-in-2015

Chief Northman
If we could sign Mo and draft Tim Settle, our DL could be bonkers.

No shit. That would be a mini-fantasy offseason....

Dunerdr

this they obviously think he can be coached back up. the raiders d was nothing special last year.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 08:22 PM
this they obviously think he can be coached back up. the raiders d was nothing special last year.

I liken it to what Belichick did with Stephon Gilmore. He was struggling the last year or two in Buffalo, but BB knew he could maximize his ability. Which he did. Gilmore was great in the playoffs for them.

Now, Amerson doesn’t have his talent, but he’s got a lot more than most CBs.

Sassy Squatch
02-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Can he play safety?

Chief Northman
02-16-2018, 08:27 PM
I liken it to what Belichick did with Stephon Gilmore. He was struggling the last year or two in Buffalo, but BB knew he could maximize his ability. Which he did. Gilmore was great in the playoffs for them.

Now, Amerson doesn’t have his talent, but he’s got a lot more than most CBs.

Amerson is a great athlete. Eye discipline and risk assessment seem to be his issues. Overly aggressive/not playing within the system gets him in trouble. Maybe Sutton can play more press with the stable he has now, which hopefully means more commitment to pressure.

Chief Northman
02-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Can he play safety?

Hmmmmm.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Amerson is a great athlete. Eye discipline and risk assessment seem to be his issues. Overly aggressive/not playing within the system gets him in trouble. Maybe Sutton can play more press with the stable he has now, which hopefully means more commitment to pressure.

I forget who the reporter was—but there was someone who said after the Smith/Fuller trade that Sutton wanted to blitz and be more aggressive than he was last year, but didn’t think he had the personnel to do so.

To me, it sounded like it came straight from the mouth of someone within the building because I know the reporter was no Chiefs fan. May have been Rapoport or Schefter.

-King-
02-16-2018, 08:50 PM
He's better than Phillip Gaines. That's about the best thing about it
Posted via Mobile Device

Iconic
02-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Stop polishing a turd dude ****ing blows.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Raiders?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Raiders</a> release David Amerson. QBs targeting Amerson this year completed 23 of 31 for 391, 4 TDs, 155.6 rating. That was highest rating vs any defender w/ 20+ targets per <a href="https://twitter.com/SportradarUS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SportradarUS</a></p>&mdash; Josh Dubow (@JoshDubowAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/960671842884239360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 6, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Franchise
02-16-2018, 09:01 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Raiders?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Raiders</a> release David Amerson. QBs targeting Amerson this year completed 23 of 31 for 391, 4 TDs, 155.6 rating. That was highest rating vs any defender w/ 20+ targets per <a href="https://twitter.com/SportradarUS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SportradarUS</a></p>&mdash; Josh Dubow (@JoshDubowAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/960671842884239360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 6, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Everyone on that defense, outside of Mack, fucking sucked. It’s a 1 year deal. Calm the fuck down.

staylor26
02-16-2018, 09:03 PM
You can do a lot worse than Amerson as your #4 corner.

He might’ve sucked last year, but he’s shown the ability to be a good player before and he’s still only 26. Solid move.

In58men
02-16-2018, 09:03 PM
He won’t be on the roster in 2019 mark it down.

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Can he play safety?

Oddly enough thats where some scouts had him, due to hip flexibility and backpedal concerns

Same as Sean Smith

But nah, Veach was looking for the same kind of boundary player as Smith, and he most likely got his man

BossChief
02-16-2018, 09:20 PM
Trash.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-16-2018, 09:23 PM
Yuck

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2018, 09:25 PM

He was hurt. Morons...

MotherfuckerJones
02-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Not thrilled with this move but it’s a cheap deal and he’s a depth corner. Hopefully he heals up and can produce in a different defense.

thabear04
02-16-2018, 09:29 PM
4 CB deep that’s a hell of a Defence now let’s find a good OLB or DE.

ILChief
02-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Is he better than Gaines and Acker?

Pasta Little Brioni
02-16-2018, 09:32 PM

Absolutely more talented. The question is can he recover and bounce back? Hence the incentive laden deal.

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Trash.

Yuck

LMAO welp that settles it, this was a failure before it even began!

BossChief
02-16-2018, 09:35 PM

Not by much. Amerson has been trash in every game I’ve seen him play. Not a fan.

MotherfuckerJones
02-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Peters
Fuller
Nelson
Amerson

Now we can add a draft pick in round 3, or that’s at least what I’d do

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Peters
Fuller
Nelson
Amerson

Now we can add a draft pick in round 3, or that’s at least what I’d do

Safety, DE, ILB are priorities before another cornerback that'll sit on the bench for a year or two, IMO.

lawrenceRaider
02-16-2018, 09:45 PM
any good?

When healthy, not bad. Has had some concussion issues which were a bit scary. Missed a ton of time to injury over the last couple years.

Chief Northman
02-16-2018, 09:48 PM
Safety, DE, ILB are priorities before another cornerback that'll sit on the bench for a year or two, IMO.

Definitely. NT needs to be a concern as well.

I’d add a #2 TE before corner too...

Hoover
02-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Confident we can find an ILB and S in the draft. It's the DL that worries me as far as the draft goes.

Bowser
02-16-2018, 09:56 PM

Am I wrong in hoping that our first pick goes towards the best rush backer left on the board? I have no faith in Dee Ford and I don't know what to think of KPass.

Hoover
02-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Am I wrong in hoping that our first pick goes towards the best rush backer left on the board? I have no faith in Dee Ford and I don't know what to think of KPass.
So would you take the 15th best rush backer or one of the top 5 players at a different position. Yes OLB/Edge is a need, but you can't just focus on one need at a premium position.

Bowser
02-16-2018, 10:04 PM
So would you take the 15th best rush backer or one of the top 5 players at a different position. Yes OLB/Edge is a need, but you can't just focus on one need at a premium position.

Yeah I know, and with the way players fly off the board in bunches it's not a good plan. I just think we're kind of hosed at the position, especially with the way Sutton uses Houston as a corner/safety half the time.

MotherfuckerJones
02-16-2018, 10:06 PM

If only the right guy fell. I’m definitely focusing on DL and ILB along with S at 54 and round 3. But you can never have enough corners and couple of these guys have health issues to begin with (Nelson, Amerson and Fuller).

Mecca
02-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Something that could come out of this is in that weird hybrid shit Sutton does in passing downs Nelson seeing looks at safety as this team rarely shows 4cb looks.
Posted via Mobile Device

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 10:37 PM
“I’m so confused on these moves by Brett Veach. It’s like he actually recognizes weaknesses on the roster and attacks them as well as creates insurance policies. Very refreshing from a KC GM.” - @Jacobs71 (Nick Jacobs)

THIS is why I can’t look down on this move at all. There’s something to be said for exploring any and all options to improve the roster, even when it might be difficult to do so (ala the Ragland and Erving trades).

Veach doesn’t seem to be satisfied, not at all.

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 10:41 PM

You're not wrong in the least, Veach made this move to free his hand during the draft

Ford has proven rush ability, combined with injury, willpower and why even keep him next season concerns

Kpass has freakish upside, but is still an extremely raw project until given the chance to prove otherwise... we'll see

It seems inevitable that we take an edge rusher either through the draft or free agency, there are too many question marks to be ignored there

The CB corp appears to be set now, that can only mean Veach is now ready to focus elsewhere... like OLB, DL and just maybe safety

BryanBusby
02-16-2018, 10:41 PM
For 2.5 base, it's worth the gamble.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2018, 10:42 PM
“I’m so confused on these moves by Brett Veach. It’s like he actually recognizes weaknesses on the roster and attacks them as well as creates insurance policies. Very refreshing from a KC GM.” - @Jacobs71 (Nick Jacobs)

THIS is why I can’t look down on this move at all. There’s something to be said for exploring any and all options to improve the roster, even when it might be difficult to do so (ala the Ragland and Erving trades).

Veach doesn’t seem to be satisfied, not at all.

Pugs, it's a fine move, but don't get your hopes up here. Amerson wasn't good in Washington, and wasn't good in Oakland. End of story to me. Maybe we can pull something out of him, but that's doubtful. Good players don't get passed around to different teams very often. Good players stick with a team or two throughout a career, especially when they're 26 years old.

BryanBusby
02-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Except for that period where he was good in Oakland, sure?

MotherfuckerJones
02-16-2018, 10:45 PM
KCs corner group is all under 27. Amerson the old man at 26. I love it

KCrockaholic
02-16-2018, 10:45 PM
Except for that period where he was good in Oakland, sure?

He had a decent season in 2016. Woo. That's it.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 10:46 PM
Pugs, it's a fine move, but don't get your hopes up here. Amerson wasn't good in Washington, and wasn't good in Oakland. End of story to me. Maybe we can pull something out of him, but that's doubtful. Good players don't get passed around to different teams very often. Good players stick with a team or two throughout a career, especially when they're 26 years old.

He did have that one very good season though in ‘15. What went wrong? I’m not sure, none of us are. It sounds like injuries have been detrimental to his play the past two seasons along with some misusage.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2018, 10:47 PM
He did have that one very good season though in ‘15. What went wrong? I’m not sure, none of us are. It sounds like injuries have been detrimental to his play the past two seasons along with some misusage.

I've kinda skimmed the thread and noticed you had a lot to say is all. I just want you to temper the expectations with him. Be excited for Fuller, yes. But Amerson, nah. Make him prove it before any kind of hope.

BryanBusby
02-16-2018, 10:48 PM
It's a 2.5 mil base. Not sure why your pussy is exactly throbbing.

Oakland handled their corners terribly, ask Sean Smith.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2018, 10:49 PM
It's a 2.5 mil base. Not sure why your pussy is exactly throbbing.

Oakland handled their corners terribly, ask Sean Smith.

I don't give a **** what a corner is making money wise. Will he hurt the team? Yes, then **** him. Amerson sucks.

Is your pussy open for any corner cock that wants to pound it? Because Amerson is just a random dick, faggot.

Nickhead
02-16-2018, 10:50 PM
soooooooooo, does this mean there is no chance the chiefs pursue fullers brother? :D

pugsnotdrugs19
02-16-2018, 10:54 PM
I've kinda skimmed the thread and noticed you had a lot to say is all. I just want you to temper the expectations with him. Be excited for Fuller, yes. But Amerson, nah. Make him prove it before any kind of hope.

I don’t necessarily have high expectations for Amerson— I just don’t see any reason to not like the move. At the very worst, he’s an upgrade over what we’ve had in the 4th or 5th CB role as of late. At the best, he’s a starter who has the luxury of playing with Berry, Peters, and Fuller.

If Nelson ends up starting anyways, there are a lot worse 4th CBs in this league than Amerson.

KCrockaholic
02-16-2018, 10:58 PM
I don’t necessarily have high expectations for Amerson— I just don’t see any reason to not like the move. At the very worst, he’s an upgrade over what we’ve had in the 4th or 5th CB role as of late. At the best, he’s a starter who has the luxury of playing with Berry, Peters, and Fuller.

If Nelson ends up starting anyways, there are a lot worse 4th CBs in this league than Amerson.

Yep, you're right. I don't even think he'd beat Nelson anyways. To me, I don't like the move because I just don't care about it. And it's like Gaines to me. Gaines could be free, but I still can't stand him because he's horrible. It has nothing to do with the money to me. It's about if he'll hurt the team on the field, and Amerson has a history of hurting teams, especially getting beat deep. I hope we draft another CB and Amerson doesn't even make the team.

bigjosh
02-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Quality depth signing. Low risk chance for a decent reward.

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 11:00 PM

Jack Del Rios coaching staff was a damn joke, you're being needlessly negative

No one is promising Amerson is the next Sean Smith, but all of the relevant markers are there to say he is a safer bet than many, particularly some rookie

KCrockaholic
02-16-2018, 11:03 PM
Jack Del Rios coaching staff was a damn joke, you're being needlessly negative

No one is promising Amerson is the next Sean Smith, but all of the relevant markers are there to say he is a safer bet than many, particularly some rookie

I've been following Amerson since NC State. He was not good there either. He put up great measurables and profited off of it. He's a bad football player. End of story to me.

Chief Northman
02-16-2018, 11:10 PM
“You know what? You gotta get a guy like [Hue] players. And you know what, I'll come straight out with it, the guys who were here before and that system, they didn't get real players. I think as Bill Parcells would always say, ‘you are your record.’ That's the truth-teller in this whole thing. I'm going to do my darndest to get Hue players. And that's all I can ask for, and that's all I can do. I like the man.”

I keep thinking about this quote from Dorsey shortly after he got the Cleveland gig.

With tons to spend, and mega draft capital, I think Dorsey will be looking to move a number of picks to get bonafide talent that fits his mold. The Browns do not need to get younger. They can package a couple picks to get elite draft talent using their multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders to jump back into the 1st round, but I believe Dorsey will look to add a few solid roster starters/rotational players with some of this capital. Why wouldn’t he look at KC and deal with Veach? KC could recoup some of the draft capital they lost in acquiring Mahomes.

Just my speculation, but Dorsey could be willing to move picks for guys like:
Morse
Conley
Nelson
Ware
West
KPass

I would not be shocked if this materialized, where one or two players get moved for picks so Veach could put his own stamp on the roster. Dorsey gets some of “his guys” still on rookie deals that he invested in.

AssEaterChief
02-16-2018, 11:11 PM
I liked him his first couple of seasons…seemed like a solid aggresive tackler and decent in coverage.

He has been on some very poor defenses, so he has room to grow in the right role….who knows maybe it will be with KC

Easy 6
02-16-2018, 11:31 PM
I've been following Amerson since NC State. He was not good there either. He put up great measurables and profited off of it. He's a bad football player. End of story to me.

This thread has all the hallmarks of something you might not wanna see bumped soon... we'll see :)

KCrockaholic
02-16-2018, 11:41 PM
This thread has all the hallmarks of something you might not wanna see bumped soon... we'll see :)

Bump me! Lol. But not after 1 lucky game. Let things add up. He sucks. That's it. I honestly hope he does something to prove me totally wrong. But I've been following this guy long enough. Measurables don't make a football player.

crazycoffey
02-17-2018, 03:10 AM
Solid pick up. Worse case he’s better than Gaines was. Best case he’s better than nelson, or fuller

tmax63
02-17-2018, 06:47 AM
He's better than what the Chiefs have at the bottom of the CB/DB depth chart so it looks okay to my eyes. Not much money spent and they improve the floor level of talent. Not every signee is going to be a starter or have a big impact starting day 1.

mcaj22
02-17-2018, 07:41 AM
He's not going to be asked to cover top tier WRs in KC like he was in OAK. I think the Chiefs will have him in a more comfortable position to succeed. He can start in a pinch, he's good depth, good insurance policy if a guy gets injured. He has NFL experience so he's not some project draft pick that they don't have time for. On paper he will be covering at best other teams WR2s or WR3 if the season started tomorrow.

Oakland asked a lot out of him, and overpaid for it. The Chiefs, not so much.

RunKC
02-17-2018, 07:42 AM
The guy had 6 INT’s and over 40 passes defended in 2015 and 2016. That’s worlds better than every corner we have after Peters/Fuller. And that was in a shit defense with a shit coaching staff.

This is a quality low risk move. He’s good depth and we desperately need that.

O.city
02-17-2018, 07:43 AM
The guy had 6 INT’s and over 40 passes defended in 2015 and 2016. That’s worlds better than every corner we have after Peters/Fuller. And that was in a shit defense with a shit coaching staff.

This is a quality low risk move. He’s good depth and we desperately need that.

Yep

They need a few dl and Olb signings like this before the draft and we’re good.

I’m really on the trey burton bandwagon at this moment

T-post Tom
02-17-2018, 08:11 AM
is he nice?

https://media.giphy.com/media/RqwlK7QhdZrSU/giphy.gif

Chief Northman
02-17-2018, 08:39 AM
He's not going to be asked to cover top tier WRs in KC like he was in OAK. I think the Chiefs will have him in a more comfortable position to succeed. He can start in a pinch, he's good depth, good insurance policy if a guy gets injured. He has NFL experience so he's not some project draft pick that they don't have time for. On paper he will be covering at best other teams WR2s or WR3 if the season started tomorrow.

Oakland asked a lot out of him, and overpaid for it. The Chiefs, not so much.

In theory I’d agree with you, but until Old Man River decides to matchup Peters against teams’ #1’s, opponents will take advantage of our lesser corners. That secondary system of Sutton’s is so archaic.

oldman
02-17-2018, 09:19 AM

That's kind of the way I see it. There's a lot of trash we can take out with this move (cough* P Gaines).

TRR
02-17-2018, 09:43 AM
That's kind of the way I see it. There's a lot of trash we can take out with this move (cough* P Gaines).

Agree with this. Going into the offseason, KC was amazingly thin at CB after Peters and Nelson. We all knew Revis was gone, and Mitchell/Gaines were free agents and most likely would not be re-signed based on 2017 performance. Veach got a good one in Fuller right away, and saw Amerson as a young player with good experience who could be had on a prove-it/one-year deal that didn’t impact future comp picks based on his recent release. It also frees up draft capital as any CB’s drafted will have some time to evolve in the defense.

A good depth signing. Nothing not to like IMO.

TambaBerry
02-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Well the good thing is he is on a contract year so that means he will be really really good. Hell we should only sign players to one year deals that way they're always on a contract year

Ming the Merciless
02-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Welcome aboard bud. This could be a steal if he plays up to his potential.

ModSocks
02-17-2018, 10:41 AM
I like the signing a lot. I was rooting for it the moment the Raiders released him.

Everyone talks about how talented that Raiders D is and that whole unit, not just Amerson, underachieved.

Hell, even Mack has been regressive two seasons in a row. That's a pretty good indication of coaching issues.

Amerson's measurables stand out, he has fantastic size and straight line speed for the position. He's exactly the kind of guy you take a 1 year flyer on. Don't necessarily think of him as a starter outside, but instead, a replacement for Kenneth Acker/Philip Gaines...and maybe even Terrance Mitchel.

All In
02-17-2018, 10:41 AM
Good luck David. I'm sure he will do a good job in KC. Sometimes all that is needed is a change and a fresh start. He made to the NFL. That in itself tells you he is more talented then most who played.

JakeF
02-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Amerson on the outside so Fuller can stay in the slot.

SAUTO
02-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Good luck David. I'm sure he will do a good job in KC. Sometimes all that is needed is a change and a fresh start. He made to the NFL. That in itself tells you he is more talented then most who played.

Thats true

Good luck to Phillip in the future also. Sometimes its just not a fit for whatever reason. He definitely has talent

The Franchise
02-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Amerson on the outside so Fuller can stay in the slot.

Fuller on the outside in the base defense. Nickel....it will be Fuller in the a lot with either Amerson or Nelson on the outside.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Great point by former Bears scouting director Greg Gabriel—most good CBs (the top 10-12) for the past handful of years all get selected in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Teams know how valuable they are and can’t wait for them in the mid rounds.

With Veach already acquiring Fuller and Amerson, it just gives us some freedom in the draft. We don’t have to reach for a CB with one of those first two picks because right now we’ve got 4 guys who could start at least serviceably, probably.

RunKC
02-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Fuller on the outside in the base defense. Nickel....it will be Fuller in the a lot with either Amerson or Nelson on the outside.

We play a lot of zone on 3rd down. Amerson is a much better player playing in front of everything.

He should be a nice fit in those situations.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 11:43 AM
I’m really excited to see who else we can add to the secondary this offseason. I want our group to have some serious swagger. Talented secondaries like Seattle’s and Jacksonville’s always play like they’re invincible, they have that aggressive mindset and seem hungry to dominate.

We’ve got some of the key pieces in place to put a group together like that. Need a couple more though.

Chief Northman
02-17-2018, 12:08 PM
I’m really excited to see who else we can add to the secondary this offseason. I want our group to have some serious swagger. Talented secondaries like Seattle’s and Jacksonville’s always play like they’re invincible, they have that aggressive mindset and seem hungry to dominate.

We’ve got some of the key pieces in place to put a group together like that. Need a couple more though.

I think Safety may be the first pick for the Chiefs.

If you can get one of Watts/Allen/White or even Elliott, you can get a starter opposite Berry with some swagger to their game. Watts is who I’d target as he fills Parker’s role arguably better than the others. Great man coverage guy whether free or locked up on a receiver. Solid tackler with great instincts.
Elliott might be the most versatile, White the most physical. Allen is great at blitzing and excels in zone.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 12:24 PM
Yep

They need a few dl and Olb signings like this before the draft and we’re good.

I’m really on the trey burton bandwagon at this moment

Burton is primed to get overpaid, although I do think he is a good player. I bet he gets $6-7M per year.

The question is, will Harris be the same guy we saw with Mahomes against Denver? Because we can work with that guy. But if he is going to be the normal version of himself... we can do better.

jdubya
02-17-2018, 12:28 PM
Local Raider fans near me tell me KC better have a good "burn ward" nearby lol. On a serious note, Amerson isn`t bad but just hasn`t seen the field much due to constant injuries, prone to concussions, etc. His first year with the Raiders he looked great and then went downhill the next 2 seasons so we will see.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 12:36 PM
I don’t think Amerson has a shot in hell of being on the field on 1st and 2nd downs unless there’s an injury.

He’s a depth signing, not a starter signing.

Hell, he may not even make the 53.

Easy 6
02-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Local Raider fans near me tell me KC better have a good "burn ward" nearby lol. On a serious note, Amerson isn`t bad but just hasn`t seen the field much due to constant injuries, prone to concussions, etc. His first year with the Raiders he looked great and then went downhill the next 2 seasons so we will see.

Meh, Del Rio runs a shitty ship and always has... Amerson is far from the only player who regressed on his watch

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 12:39 PM
I don’t think Amerson has a shot in hell of being on the field on 1st and 2nd downs unless there’s an injury.

He’s a depth signing, not a starter signing.

Hell, he may not even make the 53.

Well I would assume he makes it if we are for sure on the hook for $2.25M, but I’d say he’s competing with Nelson to start in nickel packages at best. At least we aren’t on the hook for anything after this season. If it doesn’t work out, no big deal. Solid depth corner.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Burton is primed to get overpaid, although I do think he is a good player. I bet he gets $6-7M per year.

Paying $6-7 million for a tight end, especially since they're paying $9.96 million to Kelce, is a luxury that the Chiefs just can't afford.

They signed Jace Amaro to a Futures Deal and I'd like to see them sign Crockett Gilmore to a one year deal. It's a roll of the dice but if either guy can stay healthy, the Tight End position would be loaded going into 2018.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Well I would assume he makes it if we are for sure on the hook for $2.25M, but I’d say he’s competing with Nelson to start in nickel packages at best. At least we aren’t on the hook for anything after this season. If it doesn’t work out, no big deal. Solid depth corner.

Have full contract details been released?

I understand that his base is $2.25, with escalators up to $6 million, but as long as there's no guaranteed money (and I'd be surprised if it was anything other than $100k or so), the Chiefs could release him without any cap hit.

All In
02-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Thats true

Good luck to Phillip in the future also. Sometimes its just not a fit for whatever reason. He definitely has talent

Yes thanks!

gblowfish
02-17-2018, 12:51 PM
I was wondering what Phil's mom thought about all this. See that she checked in.

Chief Northman
02-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Paying $6-7 million for a tight end, especially since they're paying $9.96 million to Kelce, is a luxury that the Chiefs just can't afford.

They signed Jace Amaro to a Futures Deal and I'd like to see them sign Crockett Gilmore to a one year deal. It's a roll of the dice but if either guy can stay healthy, the Tight End position would be loaded going into 2018.

No guarantee Harris gets let go. Andy uses him well. The problem is he cannot become a #1 if Kelce goes down. I can’t see Amaro making the roster. He is too one dimensional. The draft could bear a #2 TE option for the Chiefs that could develop into a #1b option if they want to invest in a guy early.
Stoedert and Hurst are likely out of range, but Gesicki or Fumagalli have a chance to be productive, solid pros.

O.city
02-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Yeah burton would be a bit of a luxury but it would make that spot a huge strength as he could play a lot of spots

Shaid
02-17-2018, 01:05 PM

He was underperforming and he overperformed while here under contract. We cut bait at the perfect time. I think the Sean Smith comparison is a very good one IF we have him play to the bump and run strength that a guy like this should play at. I assume that's the plan. If it's just to play off coverage, then it's a stupid signing.

RunKC
02-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Have full contract details been released?

I understand that his base is $2.25, with escalators up to $6 million, but as long as there's no guaranteed money (and I'd be surprised if it was anything other than $100k or so), the Chiefs could release him without any cap hit.

TE is one of the deepest positions in this draft. I would love to get one in the mid rounds.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 01:30 PM
TE is one of the deepest positions in this draft. I would love to get one in the mid rounds.

Right but will a TE in the late 3rd or 4th be as valuable to the Chiefs as a defensive lineman or ILBer?

MMXcalibur
02-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Solid pick up. Worse case he’s better than Gaines was. Best case he’s better than nelson, or fuller

A potted plant is better than Gaines.
We could have signed one to a 1-year deal for a lot less than Amerson.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-17-2018, 01:44 PM

84 hasn't dropped a pass from Mahomes yet. we need to draft Defense.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-17-2018, 01:45 PM
84 hasn't dropped a pass from Mahomes yet. we need to draft Defense.

Also we need to draft that punter out of Texas. Gonna take a 4th to get him

RunKC
02-17-2018, 01:48 PM
Right but will a TE in the late 3rd or 4th be as valuable to the Chiefs as a defensive lineman or ILBer?

I would be surprised if Veach lets KPL go. He’s clearly going for speed and youth and that is exactly what KPL provides. He’s one of the most athletic ILB’s in the league at 26. I just don’t think you find that kind of player in the draft in the late 2nd rd or later.
I’m happy with Ragland, KPL and Eligwe (who I really liked when I saw him).

I have a feeling that if Veach spends any money next month, it will be on the DL. It’s only Bailey, Jones and Nacho from last years squad. That’s it (Justin Hamilton is fodder IMO). And at this point, Bailey might see his way out of town.

If I’m looking for an immediate impact at a position of need, I’m looking for a versatile complete TE.

Hoover
02-17-2018, 01:57 PM
I'm all for drafting a TE, but if we do its going to be pretty late, thus more of a project.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 02:00 PM
If I’m looking for an immediate impact at a position of need, I’m looking for a versatile complete TE.

I just don't think that's necessary at all and IMO, it's a luxury the Chiefs can't afford.

I mean, if Alex Smith can throw for 4,000+ yards in 15 games with Hill, Kelce, Hunt, Conley, Wilson, et al, shouldn't Mahomes be expected to throw for at least 4,500+ with the same cast of characters?

I don't want the Chiefs to take a Left Guard in the 2nd or 3rd round but that's a much, much bigger need than a 2nd/3rd TE, IMO.

Red Dawg
02-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Mahomes will throw 30 tds this year. He will eclipse all Alex stats. Book it.

staylor26
02-17-2018, 02:04 PM
I wouldn’t consider drafting any offensive players on day 2.

RunKC
02-17-2018, 02:31 PM
I just don't think that's necessary at all and IMO, it's a luxury the Chiefs can't afford.

I mean, if Alex Smith can throw for 4,000+ yards in 15 games with Hill, Kelce, Hunt, Conley, Wilson, et al, shouldn't Mahomes be expected to throw for at least 4,500+ with the same cast of characters?

I don't want the Chiefs to take a Left Guard in the 2nd or 3rd round but that's a much, much bigger need than a 2nd/3rd TE, IMO.

I think we could buy low on a guy like Virgil Green who is a good blocker, something we desperately need.

I’m fine with going defense heavy, but DL is the one position we have got to fill next month. I don’t expect any drafted DL outside of the top 50 picks to come in and start day 1. They can absolutely be a rotational guy year 1, but the truth of the matter is we are very thin at the position and lack talent. We really need to add some beef up front and get a couple guys who are ready to start week 1.

Ideally I’d like Veach to sign 2 DL next month and draft another in round 3. At this point I’m really liking our options for a safety in rd 2.

jspchief
02-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Really don't see a need for a TE at all. Those 3 TE sets were largely ineffective after teams got some film on them. TEs don't make teams win Superbowls. Kelce is good enough that the rest of the TE position should be an afterthought.

Couch-Potato
02-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Seems like a good signing for the price, hopefully he performs to his potential and we still grab a star CB.

JakeF
02-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Mahomes will throw 30 tds this year. He will eclipse all Alex stats. Book it.Smith is gone, let it go. Everyone complained because AlexFans brought him up in every thread yet you keep doing it now that he's gone. smh

JakeF
02-17-2018, 03:05 PM
I wouldn’t consider drafting any offensive players on day 2.
We need a TE and a WR in FA or the draft. Defense is definitely the priority this offseason though.

dlphg9
02-17-2018, 03:13 PM
No way should we waste a high pick on a fucking back up tight end.

WilliamTheIrish
02-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Well, ...he’s the GM.

Although I feel Dane is probably correct in that I doubt Amerson makes the 53 roster. He’s been that bad.

RunKC
02-17-2018, 03:33 PM
Peters, Fuller, Amerson, Nelson, Mitchell,
Out: Revis, Acker, and likely Gaines

Yeah, we are better in the secondary already.

I think Parker will get cut too. They need some range and speed at safety along with willing tacklers. I think McQuay sticks as cheap depth along with Terrell, but I expect a high pick investment in safety. Murray and Sorenson were not good last season.

Will Redmond was a top 100 draft pick that Veach signed. Ashton Lampkin was taking 1st team reps in camp last year before he tore his ACL.

I think we’re fine at corner.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Will Redmond was a top 100 draft pick that Veach signed. Ashton Lampkin was taking 1st team reps in camp last year before he tore his ACL.

I’ll be a bit surprised if Lampkin doesn’t start the season on the PUP, as he tore his ACL on August 29, 2017.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 03:44 PM

Lampkin popped into my head a few hours ago. Wonder what they think of his long term potential?

It’s not like UDFAs can’t be big time players at that position. Harris Jr. and Bouye are two of the best in the game that were undrafted. Not that Lampkin will ever be that good, but I liked him coming out.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Truthfully, the Chiefs would probably be best off waiting until 2019 to worry about potentially investing valuable draft capital in the CB position. They’ve got 4 capable starters right now. Anyone they draft isn’t even going to start in the base package.

That position should be an afterthought until the rest of the defense is addressed. We’re in better shape there than any other spot by far.

RunKC
02-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Truthfully, the Chiefs would probably be best off waiting until 2019 to worry about potentially investing valuable draft capital in the CB position. They’ve got 4 capable starters right now. Anyone they draft isn’t even going to start in the base package.

That position should be an afterthought until the rest of the defense is addressed. We’re in better shape there than any other spot by far.

I’m telling you man...I think if Veach spends money on any position next month, it will most likely be on the DL. It’s rare to see a late 2nd or later defensive lineman come in day 1 with the strength to compete day 1.

I think we need multiple vets added

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 04:04 PM
I’m telling you man...I think if Veach spends money on any position next month, it will most likely be on the DL. It’s rare to see a late 2nd or later defensive lineman come in day 1 with the strength to compete day 1.

I think we need multiple vets added

I know Dane and some others are against it, but I'm all in on the Wilkerson idea if we can get a similar prove-it deal like we have with Amerson. I don't know why he has struggled the past couple of years, it sounds like there have been some effort issues. But I think if you put that guy on our defense with a lot more talent than the Jets have and a real shot at winning, you can get his best self.

RunKC
02-17-2018, 04:11 PM
I know Dane and some others are against it, but I'm all in on the Wilkerson idea if we can get a similar prove-it deal like we have with Amerson. I don't know why he has struggled the past couple of years, it sounds like there have been some effort issues. But I think if you put that guy on our defense with a lot more talent than the Jets have and a real shot at winning, you can get his best self.

I’m not totally against it, but I think 2 guys I want to target are Mike Pennel and DaQuan Jones.

The Chiefs currently have sub 300 lb lineman. They absolutely need to add 320+ lb giants to win the LOS and not get pushed around.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 04:29 PM
I’m not totally against it, but I think 2 guys I want to target are Mike Pennel and DaQuan Jones.

The Chiefs currently have sub 300 lb lineman. They absolutely need to add 320+ lb giants to win the LOS and not get pushed around.

In my perfect scenario they pick up a true NT with the athleticism to rush the passer potentially like prime Poe once did in Tim Settle. He and Jones in the middle would be nasty. But I don’t buy any mock that says he’s making it to our pick.

Urc Burry
02-17-2018, 04:55 PM

You honestly think there is a chance a guy who signed for 17 mil a year 2 years ago is going to come in on a min prove it deal? No chance. He’ll probably get at least 10/yr again. Hell Bennie Logan was never even close to a star and got 8

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 05:03 PM
You honestly think there is a chance a guy who signed for 17 mil a year 2 years ago is going to come in on a min prove it deal? No chance. He’ll probably get at least 10/yr again. Hell Bennie Logan was never even close to a star and got 8

Amerson signed for 4 years and $35M before getting cut two years later. He got a $2.25M 1-year deal.

It’s not impossible to envision Wilkerson getting a 1-year deal filled with escalators so that he may once again earn another big pay day. No team is going to give him close to the money he got from the Jets in 2016, just like no team was going to give Amerson $9M per year again.

The Franchise
02-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Best thing about this signing...is it means we won’t go after fucking Talib.

Bowser
02-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Best thing about this signing...is it means we won’t go after fucking Talib.

Talib's talent is not debatable, but goddamn could you imagine him and Peters feeding off of each other's hot headedness? Now, if we were talking Chris Harris....

Bowser
02-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Look, Randy Moss was shit as a Raider*. He gets traded for a fourth rounder to a team with a real coach and a real sense of vision and direction, then goes on to score 23 touchdowns the very next year. Let's see what Amerson can do in a more stable organization before we bow out of this signing.

*No, David Amerson is not the cornerback equivalent to what Randy Moss was as a receiver, you mouthbreather

Couch-Potato
02-17-2018, 05:47 PM
@ $2.25m should he expect to be our #2 Corner? ...or is there still a chance for a splashier pick up?

KCrockaholic
02-17-2018, 05:50 PM
@ $2.25m should he expect to be our #2 Corner? ...or is there still a chance for a splashier pick up?

He's worse than Peters, Fuller, Nelson, Mitchell. Let's pray he's not our #2.

Couch-Potato
02-17-2018, 05:54 PM

So maybe just a Gaines replacement?

KCrockaholic
02-17-2018, 05:59 PM
So maybe just a Gaines replacement?

Yes he's an upgrade over Gaines.

TambaBerry
02-17-2018, 07:01 PM

Don't be dumb

kccrow
02-17-2018, 07:58 PM

I get what you're saying, but NFL teams spend 20% of their draft capital on DBs (past 10 years) and about 60% of that number is CB. It's likely that Veach, with 9 picks, selects 2 DBs in this draft with one of those being a CB. This, of course, doesn't mean it will happen, it's just based on 10-year statistics in the NFL.

bigjosh
02-17-2018, 08:02 PM
I get what you're saying, but NFL teams spend 20% of their draft capital on DBs (past 10 years) and about 60% of that number is CB. It's likely that Veach, with 9 picks, selects 2 DBs in this draft with one of those being a CB. This, of course, doesn't mean it will happen, it's just based on 10-year statistics in the NFL.

Bolded??? We have 5 picks as of right now... are you assuming we get 4 comp picks?

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Bolded??? We have 5 picks as of right now... are you assuming we get 4 comp picks?

The Chiefs have a 2, 3, 3, 4, 6, 6, 6 and 7th round picks at this point and they'll receive a Comp Pick for Foles.

bigjosh
02-17-2018, 08:09 PM
The Chiefs have a 2, 3, 3, 4, 6, 6, 6 and 7th round picks at this point and they'll receive a Comp Pick for Foles.

I thought we only had 2,3,3,4,6. Where did those others all come from? Conditional trades or something?

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 08:14 PM
I thought we only had 2,3,3,4,6. Where did those others all come from? Conditional trades or something?

The Chiefs made a bunch of trades last year before final rosters were set. I mis-remembered some of the rounds.

Round 2 (54th overall)
Round 3 (78th overall) (via Washington in Alex Smith trade)
Round 3 (86th overall)
Round 4
Round 5 (comp pick for Nick Foles — could be as high as round 3)
Round 6
Round 7 (via Arizona in Marcus Cooper trade)
Round 7 (via Tennessee in David King trade)
Round 7 (via Seattle in Isaiah Battle trade)

Bowser
02-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Very interested to see what Veach does with those picks. If were to have a glimpse of his thought process, he's going to package a few of those picks and move up, maybe a couple of times considering what we get for Foles.

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 08:18 PM
Very interested to see what Veach does with those picks. If were to have a glimpse of his thought process, he's going to package a few of those picks and move up, maybe a couple of times considering what we get for Foles.

Yeah, that's what I've been saying this offseason.

I think he'll use one of the late round picks on a punter but I do believe he'll package up a couple of those picks in order to move up in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round, if necessary, to grab a guy that he wants.

Bowser
02-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Yeah, that's what I've been saying this offseason.

I think he'll use one of the late round picks on a punter but I do believe he'll package up a couple of those picks in order to move up in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round, if necessary, to grab a guy that he wants.

Could we be so lucky for him to move us back into the second round for a couple of picks there and get a comp third for Foles? That's asking too much for this franchise, isn't it?

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Could we be so lucky for him to move us back into the second round for a couple of picks there and get a comp third for Foles? That's asking too much for this franchise, isn't it?

That might take a lot to move into the second round.

I could see him jumping up in the 3rd round once but twice might be too much to ask.

That said, if the Chiefs come away with a 2nd and three 3rd rounders, it's a good bet that they're going to successfully fill some holes.

bigjosh
02-17-2018, 08:31 PM
The Chiefs made a bunch of trades last year before final rosters were set. I mis-remembered some of the rounds.

Round 2 (54th overall)
Round 3 (78th overall) (via Washington in Alex Smith trade)
Round 3 (86th overall)
Round 4
Round 5 (comp pick for Nick Foles — could be as high as round 3)
Round 6
Round 7 (via Arizona in Marcus Cooper trade)
Round 7 (via Tennessee in David King trade)
Round 7 (via Seattle in Isaiah Battle trade)

nice breakdown. thanks

i didnt remember all of those trades.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Are we sure that all of those conditional picks are going to go through? I hope so, but we obviously don’t know the terms and I haven’t read anything about whether or not we will receive the compensation.

Hammock Parties
02-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Damn, he was basically the worst CB on PFF last year.

Hope he can rebound to his previous form.

Chris Meck
02-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Damn, he was basically the worst CB on PFF last year.

Hope he can rebound to his previous form.

Well, from what I'm reading-he's a bump-n-run man corner. Last year, the Raiders ran mostly zone. So, not playing to his strengths. So, we might be encouraged that Veach went and got him, as it would indicate that perhaps we too are ready to start playing tighter man, bump-n-run again. Last year, admittedly due to injury and just plain lack of depth, we did a lot of goofy zone and off-coverage shit.

So, I'm carefully optimistic. Could be that Fuller, Amerson, and Peters might be a killer man CB trio.

Sassy Squatch
02-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Well, from what I'm reading-he's a bump-n-run man corner. Last year, the Raiders ran mostly zone. So, not playing to his strengths. So, we might be encouraged that Veach went and got him, as it would indicate that perhaps we too are ready to start playing tighter man, bump-n-run again. Last year, admittedly due to injury and just plain lack of depth, we did a lot of goofy zone and off-coverage shit.

So, I'm carefully optimistic. Could be that Fuller, Amerson, and Peters might be a killer man CB trio.
Nnamdi Asomugha says hello. 4 All Pro seasons as a CB specializing in the press. Signed with the Eagles who put him in a zone defense and he immediately regressed to JAG status. This signing means nothing as far as what defense we run. Its just a 1 year prove it/depth deal.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-17-2018, 09:40 PM
Amerson’s strength is off the ball coverage, particularly where he can keep things in front of him and eyes on the QB.

Coach
02-17-2018, 09:44 PM
Amerson’s strength is off the ball coverage, particularly where he can keep things in front of him and eyes on the QB.

Inconsistency (and injuries) are the biggest problem with Amerson’s game. For as many big plays as Amerson makes on defense, he also gave up many big plays.

He has little experience playing press coverage, and does not gets his hands on opposing receivers often. In off-coverage, he has a tendency to give too much cushion and give up easy passes underneath as a result.

Chief Northman
02-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Are we sure that all of those conditional picks are going to go through? I hope so, but we obviously don’t know the terms and I haven’t read anything about whether or not we will receive the compensation.

The Foles projected pick might get bumped a round to a 5th. The Cooper conditional should go through, as he had some starts and an ok campaign. The King and Battle conditions will likely void as they were cut by the teams who acquired them.

So likely a 5 and a 6.

Chiefs4TheWin
02-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Considering we have Nelson and Mitchell walking on the field, it honestly could not be any worse than what we already had. No, seriously, it can't drop any further.

ct
02-18-2018, 08:41 AM
this is a great prove-it deal for a guy who needs the $ motivation.

this is also a 2018 draft flexibility play, we can plug him in that cb2 spot and not force a young draft pick in there if he's not quite ready.

this is also a 2020 comp pick play. he was released, so does not count towards our 2018 comp pick formula. I highly doubt his prove-it deal results in another contract in KC, so if it works for him somewhere else in 2019, it will also work for us in the form of a comp pick in 2020.

i digg it.

Rausch
02-18-2018, 08:42 AM
I'm not a fan but hopefully I'm wrong...

DaneMcCloud
02-18-2018, 12:22 PM
The Foles projected pick might get bumped a round to a 5th.

No offense but I wish people would stop quoting those fucking bozos at the Over The Cap. They know absolutely nothing.

They constantly screw up cap numbers and had DJ down for an $8 million dollar cap hit in 2018 because they had no idea that he had a voidable contract.

It's a "fun" site but it's hardly 100% accurate.

Chris Meck
02-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Inconsistency (and injuries) are the biggest problem with Amerson’s game. For as many big plays as Amerson makes on defense, he also gave up many big plays.

He has little experience playing press coverage, and does not gets his hands on opposing receivers often. In off-coverage, he has a tendency to give too much cushion and give up easy passes underneath as a result.

well, I read a couple articles that indicated exactly the opposite, and were blaming Norton's zone schemes for his struggles. So, we'll see I guess. I've not watched him enough personally to judge.

BossChief
02-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Best thing about this signing...is it means we won’t go after ****ing Talib.

Why couldn’t they sign both?

Talib would improve the whole defense immensely.

Why don’t you want him?

The Franchise
02-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Why couldn’t they sign both?

Talib would improve the whole defense immensely.

Why don’t you want him?

Because he’s a 31 year old piece of shit. I’ll pass....thanks.

Hoover
02-18-2018, 12:39 PM
I see we're trading Peters now because we signed Amerson!

I fucking hate the world we live in. Everything is fake speculation to get clicks. So stupid.

Is Marcus Peters available in trade?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2018, 10:44 AM EST

Getty Images
With the Chiefs adding veteran cornerback David Amerson and, officially in three weeks, acquiring cornerback Kendall Fuller as part of the Alex Smith trade, some in league circles are wondering whether the Chiefs will be making another transaction involving a cornerback.

The question being asked is whether Marcus Peters, a first-round pick in 2015, is available in trade.

Peters has become one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, but Peters has at times been a bit of a handful for the Chiefs. The situation came to a head last season, when he seemed to try to get himself ejected, then seemed to assume he was ejected when he wasn’t, then returned to the sidelines with his uniform on and socks off, showing no intent to return to action.

The incident, along with an argument with a coach, got Peters suspended for a game. For the Chiefs, it quietly may have been the last straw.

Subject to a fifth-year option, the Chiefs (or whoever holds his contractual rights) will have to decide by early May whether to extend the contract through 2019. As the new league year approaches, Peters has become a name to watch for a possible trade — especially with the guy who drafted him four years ago now the G.M. in Cleveland.

BossChief
02-18-2018, 12:47 PM
If we sign Talib, we would have the best secondary in the NFL and could match up with any offenses WRs and TEs.

With Mahomes at QB putting up lots of points, having a defense that can shut dow opposing receivers would be HIGHLY advantageous the next couple years and we could afford to do so with Peters and Fuller on rookie deals.

Wow just thinking of Peters and Talib on the outside with Fuller in the slot gives me wood.

TambaBerry
02-18-2018, 01:07 PM
I see we're trading Peters now because we signed Amerson!

I fucking hate the world we live in. Everything is fake speculation to get clicks. So stupid.

Is Marcus Peters available in trade?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2018, 10:44 AM EST

Getty Images
With the Chiefs adding veteran cornerback David Amerson and, officially in three weeks, acquiring cornerback Kendall Fuller as part of the Alex Smith trade, some in league circles are wondering whether the Chiefs will be making another transaction involving a cornerback.

The question being asked is whether Marcus Peters, a first-round pick in 2015, is available in trade.

Peters has become one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, but Peters has at times been a bit of a handful for the Chiefs. The situation came to a head last season, when he seemed to try to get himself ejected, then seemed to assume he was ejected when he wasn’t, then returned to the sidelines with his uniform on and socks off, showing no intent to return to action.

The incident, along with an argument with a coach, got Peters suspended for a game. For the Chiefs, it quietly may have been the last straw.

Subject to a fifth-year option, the Chiefs (or whoever holds his contractual rights) will have to decide by early May whether to extend the contract through 2019. As the new league year approaches, Peters has become a name to watch for a possible trade — especially with the guy who drafted him four years ago now the G.M. in Cleveland.

that would have to be one of the dumbest moves ever if htey got rid of him

DaneMcCloud
02-18-2018, 01:09 PM
that would have to be one of the dumbest moves ever if htey got rid of him

It would depend on the compensation.

Also, keep in mind that if the Chiefs traded him and received draft picks in return, they'd avoid a huge salary cap hit of $16 million or more per season that would result in extending him after 2019.

Bowser
02-18-2018, 01:25 PM
It would depend on the compensation.

Also, keep in mind that if the Chiefs traded him and received draft picks in return, they'd avoid a huge salary cap hit of $16 million or more per season that would result in extending him after 2019.

What you're suggesting sounds like something Dorsey would have done. If, and it's a mammoth IF, we go after someone like Kyle Fuller or Talib, it's going to be before the draft and not after so we could possibly shop Peters for no less than a first rounder. But even then, we will have ended up spending money on the corner position that we didn't necessarily have to spend THIS season if we do that.

So what's the best move here? I guess it comes down to how badly the Chiefs want to recover their first round pick in '18?

The Franchise
02-18-2018, 01:33 PM
The only way I’m trading Peters is if someone offers us a top 10 pick in the first round.

And I’m not blowing it on a CB.

RunKC
02-18-2018, 01:36 PM
The only way I’m trading Peters is if someone offers us a top 10 pick in the first round.

I would on Minkah Fitzpatrick. Dude is going to be so good.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-18-2018, 01:38 PM
I would on Minkah Fitzpatrick. Dude is going to be so good.

Greg Gabriel says he’s a better prospect than Jalen Ramsey...

Bowser
02-18-2018, 01:39 PM

Agreed on both. You get a top 10 pick for Peters, it's pass rusher or bust.

That said, I'm still not convinced trading Peters is the best move. He can be a headache, but he's a rare talent as a cover corner.

BryanBusby
02-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Hahaha no he is definitely not better than Ramsey.

O.city
02-18-2018, 01:41 PM
If David Amerson and fuller are their replacements to bring in to replace Peters, the defense is gonna get worse

Chief Northman
02-18-2018, 01:51 PM
If David Amerson and fuller are their replacements to bring in to replace Peters, the defense is gonna get worse

Give Veach a little credit. He’d go get another top shelf corner in free agency.
Johnson
Fuller
Gaines
Butler

Chief Northman
02-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Hahaha no he is definitely not better than Ramsey.

Did Jalen tell you that himself? :D

The Franchise
02-18-2018, 01:52 PM

All I’ve read is that Fitzpatrick is a CB/S hybrid and he might be a better safety than CB.

O.city
02-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Give Veach a little credit. He’d go get another top shelf corner in free agency.
Johnson
Fuller
Gaines
Butler

Any of those guys as good as peters?

Chief Northman
02-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Any of those guys as good as peters?

No.

But you probably make your defense better overall by adding an elite pass rusher, or two defensive starters with the draft picks you accrue. You also aren’t doling out huge dollars to a malcontent.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-18-2018, 02:06 PM
No.

But you probably make your defense better overall by adding an elite pass rusher, or two defensive starters with the draft picks you accrue. You also aren’t doling out huge dollars to a malcontent.

This is the POV I have. I love Peters, and I'm more than fine with keeping him, but there are definitely some scenarios where trading him probably ends up better for the team in the long run. The compensation would have to be enormous, but it isn't completely unfathomable.

O.city
02-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Where’s this elite pass rusher?

And spare me the malcontent hyperbole

O.city
02-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Trading the 3rd year player whose on a hall of fame path is def the way to go

Easy 6
02-18-2018, 02:14 PM
This would be an earth shaking move by Veach, his biggest move by FAR toward putting his own stamp on the team... as well as fulfilling his promise of getting younger and cheaper

Not sure how to feel about it quite yet, but if it happened... there is no choice but to use that #1 pick at CB

Chief Northman
02-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Where’s this elite pass rusher?

And spare me the malcontent hyperbole

Are you in the building? His little transgressions in public likely pour over into the locker room too. Be realistic.

Nobody is saying “trade Peters”. But thinking of the prospect would entail serious compensation returning. It is due diligence. Dorsey/Ballard were huge in doing their homework on him. We may never know/find out if Dorsey makes a call to Veach exploring a trade possibility, but Veach would have a price in mind.

Want a name?
Bradley Chubb

O.city
02-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Are you in the building? His little transgressions in public likely pour over into the locker room too. Be realistic.

Nobody is saying “trade Peters”. But thinking of the prospect would entail serious compensation returning. It is due diligence. Dorsey/Ballard were huge in doing their homework on him. We may never know/find out if Dorsey makes a call to Veach exploring a trade possibility, but Veach would have a price in mind.

Want a name?
Bradley Chubb

Are you in the know? If we’re gonna be completely speculative about it, that’s fine but call it what it is.

Of course they’d listen. They’d listen on trading Mahomes if someone offered a crazy haul. Even if you make the trade you have to replace said player.

That’s not very easy when said player is on a historic pace to start his career at doing the thing every corner back wishes to do

O.city
02-18-2018, 02:19 PM
I’m all about prospects but I’m not all about trading an elite player for a hopeful elite prospect

That’s not ideal

Otter
02-18-2018, 02:29 PM
Are you in the know? If we’re gonna be completely speculative about it, that’s fine but call it what it is.

Of course they’d listen. They’d listen on trading Mahomes if someone offered a crazy haul. Even if you make the trade you have to replace said player.

That’s not very easy when said player is on a historic pace to start his career at doing the thing every corner back wishes to do

"Historic" is pushing the envelope a little. That's kind of a once in a lifetime type of player term. His tackling alone takes away any historic premonitions. I'll go along with 'elite cover skills' however.

The Franchise
02-18-2018, 02:32 PM
"Historic" is pushing the envelope a little. That's kind of a once in a lifetime type of player term. His tackling alone takes away any historic premonitions.

Oh fucking please.

O.city
02-18-2018, 02:33 PM
"Historic" is pushing the envelope a little. That's kind of a once in a lifetime type of player term. His tackling alone takes away any historic premonitions. I'll go along with 'elite cover skills' however.

What’s the most important characteristic a corner can have? Where does Peters stand on that note?

O.city
02-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Tackling for a corner back isn’t exactly high on the list of importance for me.

Everyone is different I guess

Easy 6
02-18-2018, 02:39 PM
This was floated by Florio, the same guy who said Sutton was retiring iirc

pugsnotdrugs19
02-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Tackling for a corner back isn’t exactly high on the list of importance for me.

Everyone is different I guess

Peters tackles when he absolutely has to as if his job depends on it. If its 3rd down and the ball carrier is a couple of yards away, he always goes balls out to get him down.

I'll take his 5 forced fumbles given his lack of tackling on less significant downs.

Coach
02-18-2018, 02:52 PM
well, I read a couple articles that indicated exactly the opposite, and were blaming Norton's zone schemes for his struggles. So, we'll see I guess. I've not watched him enough personally to judge.

I'd be curious to see how Amerson would do as a free safety though. I see him more of a CF read and react type of a player.

Coach
02-18-2018, 02:53 PM
And those who are touting that the Chiefs should sign Talib....

No thanks. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's what you'd call a "depreciating value" in the CB market.

DaneMcCloud
02-18-2018, 02:56 PM
What you're suggesting sounds like something Dorsey would have done. If, and it's a mammoth IF, we go after someone like Kyle Fuller or Talib, it's going to be before the draft and not after so we could possibly shop Peters for no less than a first rounder. But even then, we will have ended up spending money on the corner position that we didn't necessarily have to spend THIS season if we do that.

So what's the best move here? I guess it comes down to how badly the Chiefs want to recover their first round pick in '18?

Yeah, just total speculation on my part, since we seem to be playing this game :D

That said, if the Chiefs could get a Top 10 pick and a 4th for Peters, it would give them total flexibility in the draft and with that top ten pick, they could grab a top shelf CB and maybe something more.

Would that player be as good as Peters? Not likely.

But with that said, a trade like that would allow the Chiefs to bypass shelling out $16 million per year beginning in 2019 to a CB, allow them to get younger across the board and maybe make some deals that bring back 2019 draft picks.

Again, total speculation but it's worth speculating.

TambaBerry
02-18-2018, 03:04 PM
I'm not trading a top corner for a draft pick. It's stupid and you should feel stupid for even suggesting it as a possibility. Veach says he wants to get younger. We have a top 5 corner/ turnover machine in Peters.

Easy 6
02-18-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm not trading a top corner for a draft pick. It's stupid and you should feel stupid for even suggesting it as a possibility. Veach says he wants to get younger. We have a top 5 corner/ turnover machine in Peters.

I find it highly unlikely as well, but stranger things have happened... and none of us knows what Veach is thinking

KranzDictum
02-18-2018, 03:15 PM
And those who are touting that the Chiefs should sign Talib....

No thanks. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's what you'd call a "depreciating value" in the CB market.

Talib is willing to tackle and can still cover, he is worth a 2-3 year deal, that is why I don't want to see him leave Denver. The real issue with your D is the front not getting pressure to help out the back end.

I think if Cleveland is willing to give up the #4 pick in the draft for Peters and maybe your 2nd or 3rd, the target would be a pass rusher like Davenport or Chubb if there. I don't see Cleveland giving away it's fourth overall pick for Peters straight up just based on Jimmy Johnson's draft day trade charts. Peters was taken with the 18th pick in the draft if GM's go by spot taken to determine value. It is hard to monetize his draft pick value especially when your talking a top 5 pick.

RealSNR
02-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Well, according to like 75% of the dumbshits on this board, the Chiefs were just supposed flat out cut Peters' ass after his pseudo-ejection during a game this year. Because they just "had enough."

Interesting that they're all running on silent or have changed their position to "we should trade him!"

O.city
02-18-2018, 03:17 PM
The browns aren’t trading the #4 pick for Peters

Sassy Squatch
02-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Nope. That's why this is a non issue.

O.city
02-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Nope. That's why this is a non issue.

Similarly I’d imagine the chiefs aren’t open to trading Peters

KranzDictum
02-18-2018, 03:20 PM

I agree, probably Peters and the chiefs 2nd or 3rd and or a mid to low pick in 2019.

RunKC
02-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Veach said he wants youth...not old players nearing the end like Talib.

O.city
02-18-2018, 03:22 PM
I agree, probably Peters and the chiefs 2nd or 3rd and or a mid to low pick in 2019.

Still isn’t happening

Sassy Squatch
02-18-2018, 03:24 PM
LMAO This is the best the Broncos trolls can do now. No wonder Knowmo ran crying and screaming when Dane was mean to him.

Coach
02-18-2018, 03:28 PM
Talib is willing to tackle and can still cover, he is worth a 2-3 year deal, that is why I don't want to see him leave Denver. The real issue with your D is the front not getting pressure to help out the back end.

I think if Cleveland is willing to give up the #4 pick in the draft for Peters and maybe your 2nd or 3rd, the target would be a pass rusher like Davenport or Chubb if there. I don't see Cleveland giving away it's fourth overall pick for Peters straight up just based on Jimmy Johnson's draft day trade charts. Peters was taken with the 18th pick in the draft if GM's go by spot taken to determine value. It is hard to monetize his draft pick value especially when your talking a top 5 pick.

While he is willing to tackle and still can cover, I'm not a big fan of spending sums of money on CB's who are on the wrong side of 30. Because some CB's decline gracefully (Terrance Newman is one), some fall off of the cliff as well. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Denver decides to hold onto him anyways, which would make this discussion moot (which I hope it happens).

I agree with you that KC's issue is the front seven. When you are ranked 25th in the NFL on rush defense, that's going to pose a lot of problems. Not to mention that KC is ranked 24th in the NFL on sacks.

KC needs to targeting their front seven (except Ragland and Houston) to resolve these issues.

Easy 6
02-18-2018, 03:29 PM

This

**** that guy, I dont care how good it looks on paper

pugsnotdrugs19
02-18-2018, 03:33 PM
I was cool with the Talib idea until we managed to haul Fuller in. Not anymore. Fuller is the better long term option, and probably the better short term option given Talib could slide at any moment.

DaneMcCloud
02-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Similarly I’d imagine the chiefs aren’t open to trading Peters

I disagree.

The new breed of GM’s across the league are very different than the old school, older men that they’ve replaced. As we’ve seen in the last year alone, teams are more aggressively trading assets for picks. We’ve seen NBA style salary dumps and more player-for-player trades.

We just saw the Redskins trade their best and youngest secondary player in a deal for a QB.

Things are beginning to change in the NFL and with the continuation of a very healthy rise in the salary cap, I’d be surprised if all but the best QB’s are off limits.

Outside of Pat Mahomes and Eric Berry, no one is safe in this new environment.

KranzDictum
02-18-2018, 03:45 PM

They also need to go younger to get and stay out of cap hell.

Hoover
02-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Not exactly.

Look when you have guys like Mahomes, Hill, Hunt, Peters, and Jones on rookie deals, you can afford some high priced contracts, so long as the term is short enough or structured in a way to walk away. Now with the Chiefs these young studs allow us to deal with Berry and Houston's contracts as well as some guys on the oline.

So you "could" go out and get a Talib if you wanted to and make it work. I'm just not sure that I would. I'd rather keep investing in the position with draft picks because one can never have enough talent in that position group.

People are also going to have to deal with the teality there there will be some positions in which the Chiefs basically are not going to spend a lot of money on. Like the WR position. Like depth behind Kelce, and if we are being really honest, running back. For all the shit that John Dorsey has received here, and I'll admit some of home town free agent deals sucked, we are in pretty damn good shape if you ask me.

Seriously, the Chiefs that are the only team that has dramatically imporved since the end of the season by trading for Fuller and adding Amerson. Remember when Carl was in charge and it felt like he went on vacation at the begining of the league year? Hell Veach is always working. It's exciting to see. Clark obviously made sure he kept the right guy. Can't wait to watch what this guy does during and around the draft.

farmerchief
02-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Not exactly.

People are also going to have to deal with the teality there there will be some positions in which the Chiefs basically are not going to spend a lot of money on. Like the WR position. Like depth behind Kelce, and if we are being really honest, running back. For all the shit that John Dorsey has received here, and I'll admit some of home town free agent deals sucked, we are in pretty damn good shape if you ask me.

I agree. I think we are fine at Wr, even if we don't resign Wilson, as we've got some young guys, give them a chance. As far as RB goes, I think we are in fantastic shape if Ware comes back healthy from his injury. Wouldn't hurt to add some TE depth, but honestly if Kelce went down there's nobody in free agency that could replace him(affordable at least). I like what's been done so far with the additions in the secondary. Keep on adding quality players in the secondary, is fine with me. I'd like to see McDougle come back to the area to give some depth at safety.

Hoover
02-18-2018, 04:31 PM
They hit the Jackpot on the RB position in my book. Signing both Ware and West to small deals has worked out well. We are stacked at the position IMO, adding Ware into the mix should really help hunt. Still in the late rounds I'd look to keep some youth at the position because lets be honest, Ware and West are probably not going to get the carries or contract they want. If they are reasonable then great, but I doubt it. I view the WR position the same way, keep it young, keep looking for upgrades. Don't waste money.

Coogs
02-18-2018, 05:35 PM
I'd be interested in something around the Packers pick at #13. That would maybe give us the choice between Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne for the middle of the defense. That could make us considerably stronger in both our 3-4 or 2-5 set. In passing downs in the 2-5, we could have one of those two paired with Jones in the middle 2 spots, and Houston and K-Pass on the ends. That should provide a push up the middle and rush off of the edge to make our defense much stronger.

R8RFAN
02-18-2018, 06:33 PM
The guy is garbage.

He had a few great games and then he went to hell... Raiders got him off the waiver wire and I thought they found a steak dinner in the trash pile.. He probably won't even make your team.

Chiefs=Champions
02-18-2018, 07:06 PM

You spend a lot of time obsessing over the chiefs.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-18-2018, 08:26 PM
He had a few great games and then he went to hell... Raiders got him off the waiver wire and I thought they found a steak dinner in the trash pile.. He probably won't even make your team.

You don't even watch your team play. How would you know?

Easy 6
02-18-2018, 08:31 PM

Jack Del Rio and his motley band of fools couldnt coach a fat kid to eat a cheeseburger

We'll see what Amerson can do on a REAL team

Setsuna
02-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Jack Del Rio and his motley band of fools couldnt coach a fat kid to eat a cheeseburger

We'll see what Amerson can do on a REAL team

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL Riiight.