PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Plaza III To Close

Titty Meat
02-21-2018, 12:29 AM
I remember when Carl took Ed Hartwell there LMAO

https://mobile.twitter.com/afgutierrez/status/966112541725413376

Live right by the plaza and hardly ever go. There's not much although I hear a Shake Shack is coming.

suzzer99
02-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Apparently at one time Plaza III was so big they branched out and opened a restaurant in Boston. I know a guy who waited tables there.

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 12:40 AM
you know I never went there - I think all of my family has one time or another.

Fish
02-21-2018, 01:01 AM
Really good steak. Really overpriced.

Plaza is going through quite a phase right now. Business rent there must really suck...

Nickhead
02-21-2018, 02:15 AM

Plaza is going through quite a phase right now. Business rent there must really suck...

soon enough, more people will demand delivery service for fine dining, and accept the fact the food is 40 minutes late, cold, stale, dry whatever, and still be okay with it because they didn't have to leave the house :D

oh wait, that's what's happening now. if you don't deliver or uber food, you are losing money :thumb:

eDave
02-21-2018, 02:22 AM
soon enough, more people will demand delivery service for fine dining, and accept the fact the food is 40 minutes late, cold, stale, dry whatever, and still be okay with it because they didn't have to leave the house :D

oh wait, that's what's happening now. if you don't deliver or uber food, you are losing money :thumb:

I would NEVER order Plaza III to be delivered and I don't want to meet the man who would. Better to just splat one on a skillet at home and heat some tater tots and Kraft macaroni and cheese. Throw some buttered toast in the toaster while you are at it.

Get it delivered and you still have to put it onto plates and such and heat again. All while the girlfriend is bitching and moaning if it's ready yet. Bitch, does it LOOK like it's ready? Shut up.

Going to a joint like that is half the experience anyway.

Nickhead
02-21-2018, 02:47 AM
I would NEVER order Plaza III to be delivered and I don't want to meet the man who would. Better to just splat one on a skillet at home and heat some tater tots and Kraft macaroni and cheese. Throw some buttered toast in the toaster while you are at it.

Get it delivered and you still have to put it onto plates and such and heat again. All while the girlfriend is bitching and moaning if it's ready yet. Bitch, does it LOOK like it's ready? Shut up.

Going to a joint like that is half the experience anyway.

i agree, and am with you, but, the trend :D

more people here go to gas stations for a loaf of bread simply because it's closer, even though it is twice as expensive. :thumb:

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 03:17 AM
Apparently at one time Plaza III was so big they branched out and opened a restaurant in Boston. I know a guy who waited tables there.

I knew there was one in KC. Jacksonville, and Boston. Both Jacksonville and Boston were franchises sold about 13-14 years ago, not operated by Haddad Restaurant Group. Jacksonville lasted a couple of years (4) but Boston made it 8-9 years.

Haddad seems to be all about franchising,

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/YxLRjRJ8AX86GaCC9JApGA/o.jpg

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 03:24 AM
you know I never went there - I think all of my family has one time or another.

We used to eat there every Thanksgiving if we were in town and then go to the lighting ceremonies. It was about the only time I could WOW my mother and father in law.

With all the great places to eat steak, and myself preferring to cook steak at home, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did after failing to expand. I think the writing was on the wall but new owners of the Plaza have debt service to deal with and probably bumped the rent, big time.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 03:35 AM
i agree, and am with you, but, the trend :D

more people here go to gas stations for a loaf of bread simply because it's closer, even though it is twice as expensive. :thumb:

You mean the ones on SNAP? :D:D

I have noticed that bread section in my huge grocer has been reduced, not so the last time I grabbed low carb tortillas at Wal-mart ($3.19 vs 4.29).

I do get my craft beer delivered now. Just exchange the growler and it's $15 delivered. Free pizza delivery with beer too. Tipping not allowed on beer. Stupid local law.
The only other thing I get delivered is Chinese and it will burn you it's so hot.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 03:39 AM

Plus Plaza rent has a % of volume clause so if your tight, you're screwed.

LoneWolf
02-21-2018, 04:59 AM
Cooper, you have got to be the most know-it-all, look at me blowhard that has ever graced CP. This was a thread about a restaurant closing and you somehow try to make it about you and your personal delivery choices. Just shut the fuck up already.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 05:39 AM
Cooper, you have got to be the most know-it-all, look at me blowhard that has ever graced CP. This was a thread about a restaurant closing and you somehow try to make it about you and your personal delivery choices. Just shut the **** up already.

Get your wife's buttplug inserted sideways in your ass this morning?

Sassy Squatch
02-21-2018, 05:42 AM
He's right. You've somehow managed to finangle your sniveling elitism into this thread. We don't need 3 posts from you about how you get your beer delivered and whatever the fuck else you're on about. Stick to stalking Clay.

LoneWolf
02-21-2018, 06:13 AM

I got a buttplug inserted sideways in my ass once. My buttplug delivery guy, he also delivers my craft beer for no extra charge with a free pepperoni pizza, was walking up the steps to my home. I was grilling some Wagyu steaks when I saw him coming up the steps. By the way, have I ever told you I have experience raising Wagyu cattle? Anyway, I sent to meet him at the door and as I opened the door he tripped on the top step and fell into me. As we both hit the floor, I fell o the buttplug and it went right up my pretentious ass through my designer denim jeans.

Eleazar
02-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Before I opened this thread I thought to myself, "this is CP, so when I open this there will be at least one person saying it sucks and they make better stuff at home all the time", just like how we could all run the chiefs franchise better, bang bikini models 3 at a time, made a zillion dollars in bitcoin, and have 10% body fat and a 10 inch crank.

dirk digler
02-21-2018, 06:30 AM
I have been there a few times but not lately. Probably had the best steak I have ever ate and will always remember my uncle getting the prime rib rare and eating it all bloody.

That was the Saturday night I took my mom and dad there for their 50th wedding anniversary and was walking out and met Al Davis who was in town for the next days game.

BryanBusby
02-21-2018, 06:38 AM
I got a buttplug inserted sideways in my ass once. My buttplug delivery guy, he also delivers my craft beer for no extra charge with a free pepperoni pizza, was walking up the steps to my home. I was grilling some Wagyu steaks when I saw him coming up the steps. By the way, have I ever told you I have experience raising Wagyu cattle? Anyway, I sent to meet him at the door and as I opened the door he tripped on the top step and fell into me. As we both hit the floor, I fell o the buttplug and it went right up my pretentious ass through my designer denim jeans.
Condolences for your Diesel jeans.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 06:48 AM

And you wonder why you were denied access to a firearm.... and maybe get your meds adjusted.

Flying High D
02-21-2018, 07:17 AM

It happens.

RealSNR
02-21-2018, 07:25 AM
And you wonder why you were denied access to a firearm.... and maybe get your meds adjusted.

If he gets his meds adjusted, he should try just using Costco. It makes way too much sense. My grandmother uses it all the time and she's on like 6 different kinds of pain medicines. The pharmacies will otherwise mess it up because she won't ask the right questions. That's what happened last time we went to Walgreen's, and I said, "If you're going to get your pills messed up, we may as well be shopping for other things." Now she doesn't even have to leave the house.

https://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/CostcoCABCCatalogAssetStore/feature-pages/5037-15-pharmacy-lp-hero2-en.jpg

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 07:45 AM
It has been a few years, but we went to a fancy restaurant on the Plaza that had an imported stained glass part of the ceiling in the dining area. Kind of round if I remember correctly.

That impressed me more than the food.

Would that have been Plaza III?

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 07:59 AM
It has been a few years, but we went to a fancy restaurant on the Plaza that had an imported stained glass part of the ceiling in the dining area. Kind of round if I remember correctly.

I believe that would be Bristol, in the mid 90's? now Capital Grill there is quite a story of the dome's relocation to the Town Center location.

https://resizer.otstatic.com/v2/photos/large/23802871.jpg

Dayze
02-21-2018, 08:06 AM
I' ve only eaten there once, probably 3 or 4 years ago. I thought it was really good.
Price wise, it's definitely not on my radar 99% of the time; maybe every few years for a special occasion or something. I think my steak was $45.....nearly shit when I read that. but....it was fucking good. Worth $45?....dunno. Service was excellent though.

raybec 4
02-21-2018, 08:24 AM

This dude cracks me up

Titty Meat
02-21-2018, 08:24 AM
I believe that would be Bristol, in the mid 90's? now Capital Grill there is quite a story of the dome's relocation to the Town Center location.

McCormicks and Schmitts sp?

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 08:27 AM
I had almost forgot about the club in the basement, at one time one of the hottest, if not, at least "the" place to be seen in the city.

Does anyone know what's happened with that over the years?

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Thank you, I had just thought of that. I never remember it's there, that's a great place or was to get cocktails and taster's menu grub on Friday nights.

https://resizer.otstatic.com/v2/photos/large/24606936.jpg

Chiefs Moon
02-21-2018, 08:32 AM
One of the more over-rated restaurants in Kansas City.

MahiMike
02-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Sucks to see KC icons disappear. I never ate there myself but then again, I've only eaten at Ruth Chris on the company dime. I'm too cheap to pay for something I can make myself but that's just me. Better to have such places for travelers to KC. These places are great for the city.

Why Not?
02-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Ate there once or twice. Pretty good. Not totally sure I could tell the difference in a blind taste test between their steak, Hereford House, Etc.

raybec 4
02-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Ate there once or twice. Pretty good. Not totally sure I could tell the difference in a blind taste test between their steak, Hereford House, Etc.

Cooper will be along directly to school you on the differences.

Why Not?
02-21-2018, 08:53 AM

Lol

bobbymitch
02-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Nabil owned, or used to own, four restaurants in the Plaza. So maybe the money just isn't there anymore? His Winstead's are still going strong.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 09:29 AM

Hereford house's steaks smelled like gasoline. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

And **** you tooROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

wazu
02-21-2018, 09:31 AM
Bummed to see this. My wife and I used to go there for special occasions. The basement was a really cool dance area with jazz/big band playing live on weekends.

BlackHelicopters
02-21-2018, 09:32 AM
4 years in KC, never went.

O.city
02-21-2018, 09:33 AM
It was a good solid steakhouse

I liked other better but it was good.

Dartgod
02-21-2018, 09:36 AM
You think that they would have learned their lesson when Plaza I and Plaza II failed.

Why Not?
02-21-2018, 09:38 AM
Hereford house's steaks smelled like gasoline. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

And **** you tooROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Lol. We've clearly huffed different brands of gasoline.

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 09:39 AM

That is it! You came through again!

In fact, it almost looks like that picture was taken from the seat I was sitting in.

It was quite a ceiling, but the food was meh.

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 09:46 AM

That name rings a bell more than the other one. I worked for CarQuest then Green Light auto parts from 81 to 90, so I would guess it would be in that time frame.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Lol. We've clearly huffed different brands of gasoline.

Only Top teir.. :D:D:D

It was a joke. I guess you don't remember the arson fire in the crossroads?

raybec 4
02-21-2018, 09:49 AM
That name rings a bell more than the other one. I worked for CarQuest then Green Light auto parts from 81 to 90, so I would guess it would be in that time frame.

McCormick and Schmick's is a seafood restaurant. And it's pretty darn good.

BlackHelicopters
02-21-2018, 09:54 AM

Heh

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 09:55 AM

In fact, it almost looks like that picture was taken from the seat I was sitting in.

That picture is a totally different restaurant than on the Plaza. On the Plaza in the 80's ans early 90's. it had a huge round table underneath then they moved it to Leawood..which is the picture I showed.

I posted this but.. This is M&S's dome but I don't think the time frame fits.

https://resizer.otstatic.com/v2/photos/large/24606936.jpg

The domes are radically different.

tooge
02-21-2018, 10:13 AM

If it was just a few years ago, probably McCormick and Schmick

tooge
02-21-2018, 10:16 AM
I don't go to the Plaza anymore because of the thug assed kids that run around near there. That might be part of the problem for the Plaza. Maybe not. Might be just me.

JoeyChuckles
02-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Good. I've been waiting on Plaza IV to be released forever.

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 10:33 AM
We used to eat there every Thanksgiving if we were in town and then go to the lighting ceremonies. It was about the only time I could WOW my mother and father in law.

With all the great places to eat steak, and myself preferring to cook steak at home, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did after failing to expand. I think the writing was on the wall but new owners of the Plaza have debt service to deal with and probably bumped the rent, big time.

yeah - not surprised - I doubt the Plaza ever fully dies - but I'd be shocked if the indoor malls didn't go belly-up (eventually) - Amazon and other online factions have all but killed the indoor malls - Restaurant, Specialized boutiques and financial institutions will (most likely) be enough for the CC Plaza to hold shape.

Dartgod
02-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if we crossed paths back in the day.

I worked auto parts from around 80-81 until the mid 90's.

Were you in a store or warehouse?

Dayze
02-21-2018, 10:46 AM
I typically pronounce Plaza II with a long "Plaaaaaaza"; similar to James Bottomtooth from Family Guy....or any of the other rich guy characters.

it makes it sound way more classy.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 10:55 AM
yeah - not surprised - I doubt the Plaza ever fully dies - but I'd be shocked if the indoor malls didn't go belly-up (eventually) - Amazon and other online factions have all but killed the indoor malls - Restaurant, Specialized boutiques and financial institutions will (most likely) be enough for the CC Plaza to hold shape.

Nordstrom's is moving their Oak Park Mall store there.

Craig Glazer wrote a piece about this in 2014 almost predicting P lll's demise.

Shopping closer to home, dining closer and with alcohol enforcement...

Lack of places that draw, It's becoming national brands from food to bars. There are no clubs, hot bars anymore.

There is the eastern influx which tends to keep people away too. Crimes in Westport and Plaza areas do not exist in Leawood and OP.

But basically his point has been that there just isn't a reason for the 20-40 somethings to go there anymore when the suburbs have built the complexes to compete with the Plaza and compete well.

In closing he said the Plaza needs superstars to attract younger crowds and having a reason NOT to drive through Westwood to get home is reason enough to stay away.

hawkchief
02-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Nabil owned, or used to own, four restaurants in the Plaza. So maybe the money just isn't there anymore? His Winstead's are still going strong.

Many Winsteads have died a slow death. The carpet in many has been there about 15 years too long. Guy seems to really milk his biz and not put anything back into them. Plaza III has been dyeing for years.

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Nordstrom's is moving their Oak Park Mall store there.

Craig Glazer wrote a piece about this in 2014 almost predicting P lll's demise.

Shopping closer to home, dining closer and with alcohol enforcement...

Lack of places that draw, It's becoming national brands from food to bars. There are no clubs, hot bars anymore.

There is the eastern influx which tends to keep people away too. Crimes in Westport and Plaza areas do not exist in Leawood and OP.

But basically his point has been that there just isn't a reason for the 20-40 somethings to go there anymore when the suburbs have built the complexes to compete with the Plaza and compete well.

In closing he said the Plaza needs superstars to attract younger crowds and having a reason NOT to drive through Westwood to get home is reason enough to stay away.

That makes sense.

Dayze
02-21-2018, 10:58 AM
we used to go to M&S each year for our anniversary until 2 years ago when we saw kids everywhere and witnesses a group of them jumping onto the hoods of each parked car along the street. Plus, we used to go there for coffee & to visit the B&N a few times a year

That.

I haven't been in that area since.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 11:07 AM

I got my feet wet back then. My back rooms were stocked by Parts Plus and APA before them.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-21-2018, 11:14 AM

Indoor mall death has been on the increase way before online sales. People just don't want to have to walk through a mall to get someplace, they want to park and get in and get out.

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 11:33 AM

McCormick & Schmick's

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 11:35 AM

while it was the Bristol the walls were brick - silly that they'd REMOVED the brick - I'm not sure the reasoning - certainly it wasn't to IMPROVE the cosmetics.

oldman
02-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Dude, now there's cola all over my table from laughing so hard. Lesson to you all, never drink and read a LW post at the same time.
Seriously, I always thought there were better steak places in KC, but Plaza III is an icon and I'm sorry to see it go.

Discuss Thrower
02-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Was a favorite of my grandparents when they were still alive.

But if I were going to a 'fancy' place for steak, I'm choosing 801 or maybe Sullivan's depending on the reason to said fanciness.

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 12:08 PM
McCormick and Schmick's is a seafood restaurant. And it's pretty darn good.

It has been a very long time ago after reflecting on it. I am pretty finicky about sea food having spent so much time on both coasts.
I thought we had steak, but it could have been seafood.
We used to make regular rounds to Union Station, Hereford House, Baby Does (my favorite) and the one we are discussing was a one time thing.
Whatever it was, the ceiling impressed me more than the meal. :D

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 12:12 PM

Warehouse salesman territory manager, called on Jobbers. Started out with ADI (pro am part stop) that became Carquest, then went to Green Light that became Parts Plus. Had Western Kansas, then southeast Kansas. :D

Had to come to KC for sales meetings on a pretty regular basis.

You?

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 12:15 PM
SR

We know, how long it's been, shit you worked there in the 90's. The picture I posted is the main dining room at their Kansas Location. When they lost their, lease to make room for Jules? Bristol took it apart and reinstalled it in a new building, about a year later. Pissing the Hassad and JC Nichols Co off big time.It was a nice kick in the shorts for kicking them out after 15 years

There is no longer a dome light installed in the ceiling in the current Capitol Grill location. Rumor had it they, Bristol, had sheet rocked over it, when actually they took it with them.

The dome at McCormick & Schmick's is part of the structure and as I recall was built after Bristol was gone. https://www.google.com/maps/place/McCormick+%26+Schmick's+Seafood+%26+Steaks/@39.0422235,-94.5933264,59a,35y,45.03t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x87c0efb709ecb38b:0xf96b513fe30e7d7!2sJefferson+St+%26+W+48th+St,+Kans as+City,+MO+64112!3b1!8m2!3d39.0406018!4d-94.5950696!3m4!1s0x0:0xf6ecb0cae70531d4!8m2!3d39.042605!4d-94.5932551

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Warehouse salesman territory manager, called on Jobbers. Started out with ADI (pro am part stop) that became Carquest, then went to Green Light that became Parts Plus. Had Western Kansas, then southeast Kansas. :D

You?

Did you work for Mathews in Tulsa? (I did business with them in KC in the 90's) Or, ???? their name on SW BLVD and 7th St that was APA or Bumper to Bumper then Parts Plus now a Mexican food processor

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 01:03 PM
SR

We know, how long it's been, shit you worked there in the 90's. The picture I posted is the main dining room at their Kansas Location. When they lost their, lease to make room for Jules? Bristol took it apart and reinstalled it in a new building, about a year later. Pissing the Hassad and JC Nichols Co off big time.It was a nice kick in the shorts for kicking them out after 15 years

There is no longer a dome light installed in the ceiling in the current Capitol Grill location. Rumor had it they, Bristol, had sheet rocked over it, when actually they took it with them.

The dome at McCormick & Schmick's is part of the structure and as I recall was built after Bristol was gone. https://www.google.com/maps/place/McCormick+%26+Schmick's+Seafood+%26+Steaks/@39.0422235,-94.5933264,59a,35y,45.03t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x87c0efb709ecb38b:0xf96b513fe30e7d7!2sJefferson+St+%26+W+48th+St,+Kans as+City,+MO+64112!3b1!8m2!3d39.0406018!4d-94.5950696!3m4!1s0x0:0xf6ecb0cae70531d4!8m2!3d39.042605!4d-94.5932551

The Capital Grille - fine fine bone-in ribeye and lobster mac-n-cheese!

Dartgod
02-21-2018, 01:08 PM

You?

I am familiar with ADI/Carquest. I started out in 80 or 81 at Hickman Mills Auto Supply, was there for 5 years. We used ADI a lot. Then went to Dave's Auto Parts (4 stores in Johnson Co.) I believe the owner, Dave Duncan, went to work for Carquest sometime after he sold the stores to Parts Plus.

I kind of bounced around after that. Spent a miserable year at a British car parts store, another miserable year or so at Schneider Bailey selling after market air conditioners. Worked for a bit at a place called Motor Pool, then finished up a couple of different stints at O'Reilly's.

I finally got tired of it and went to college to get a degree and a career in IT.

eDave
02-21-2018, 01:09 PM
You think that they would have learned their lesson when Plaza I and Plaza II failed.

Rainman mult. ^

Dayze
02-21-2018, 01:32 PM
Plaza III.5
...now serving chicken tenders.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 01:56 PM
I am familiar with ADI/Carquest. I started out in 80 or 81 at Hickman Mills Auto Supply, was there for 5 years. We used ADI a lot. Then went to Dave's Auto Parts (4 stores in Johnson Co.) I believe the owner, Dave Duncan, went to work for Carquest sometime after he sold the stores to Parts Plus.

I kind of bounced around after that. Spent a miserable year at a British car parts store, another miserable year or so at Schneider Bailey selling after market air conditioners. Worked for a bit at a place called Motor Pool, then finished up a couple of different stints at O'Reilly's.

I finally got tired of it and went to college to get a degree and a career in IT.

Dartgod, iirc

BR at 71 nope Peppermill and Richie's Place

ADI that rings a bell, Where was the Warehouse?? APA comes to mind too

I knew Dave Duncan, not well, but dammed that was a long time ago...Dammed if I can't remember all of his stores. Been too long, seems like those days they all kinda looked alike. Dave did go to Carquest, Platte Woods ans 89th and Troost both shuttered. There was a redheaded guy, Camaro, that worked for Parts Plus (didn't they buy Keystone?) as a salesmanthat I worked with...

What was that black haired guys name at SB? And I assume the motor pool was at 38th and Main? Marty Brown... son of a bitch... He was an owner at Keystone/ Bumper to bumper? hooked up Harold Tenenbaum ??? He was a parts hoarder and a shrewd businessman

Which Oreally?

Small enough world?

Beef Supreme
02-21-2018, 02:35 PM
This is your chance to open Plaza IV, now with more cowbell.

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Dartgod, iirc

ADI that rings a bell, Where was the Warehouse?? APA comes to mind too

I knew Dave Duncan, not well, but dammed that was a long time ago...Dammed if I can't remember all of his stores. Been too long, seems like those days they all kinda looked alike. Dave did go to Carquest, Platte Woods ans 89th and Troost both shuttered. There was a redheaded guy, Camaro, that worked for Parts Plus (didn't they buy Keystone?) as a salesmanthat I worked with...

What was that black haired guys name at SB? And I assume the motor pool was at 38th and Main? Marty Brown... son of a bitch... He was an owner at Keystone/ Bumper to bumper? hooked up Harold Tenenbaum ??? He was a parts hoarder and a shrewd businessman

Which Oreally?

Small enough world?

You and Dart God should have a nice dinner together just before they close shop at Plaza III - that'd be special.

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Did you work for Mathews in Tulsa? (I did business with them in KC in the 90's) Or, ???? their name on SW BLVD and 7th St that was APA or Bumper to Bumper then Parts Plus now a Mexican food processor
No Tulsa business, only Oklahoma store I did business with was the Woolwine store in Guyman.

ADI was a really big deal back in the day, and I hadn't thought about Daves in a long time. One of the local salesman took me out there once. Was he the guy that would cut your tie off if you wore one in to his store?ROFL Our salesman made sure I took mine off before we went into that store.

I remember hearing that Motor Pool name, and of course the O'Reilly's thing went bonkers. Spent some time out in LA with Larry O'Reilly at a AWDA conference. One of my neighbors down here retired after 34 years with them.

Your career sounds similar to mine except for the IT part. Good for you!

My education was in electronics so I got back into that for the remainder of my career.

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 03:24 PM
ADI that rings a bell, Where was the Warehouse??

3155 Terrace, off 7th street traffic way and darn, I can't remember the other main drag off of 35.
The closest bbq joint was Rosedales and I remember thinking "KC is famous for the Q and this is KCq? It sucks!"

***edit*** just came to me, SW Boulevard

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 03:44 PM
No Tulsa business, only Oklahoma store I did business with was the Woolwine store in Guyman.

ADI was a really big deal back in the day, and I hadn't thought about Daves in a long time. One of the local salesman took me out there once. Was he the guy that would cut your tie off if you wore one in to his store?ROFL Our salesman made sure I took mine off before we went into that store.

I remember hearing that Motor Pool name, and of course the O'Reilly's thing went bonkers. Spent some time out in LA with Larry O'Reilly at a conference. One of my neighbors down here retired after 34 years with them.

My education was in electronics so I got back into that for the remainder of my career.

Where was ADI. All I can place is Carquest in DT St Louis. I used to have accounts with most WD's (or had backdoors) but just can't tag it down.

Didn't the guy from Keystone (Marty Brown) buy it, the same guy who owned Motor Pool? Motor Pool was a service center that Brown opened in properties? he owned that went nowhere. If my spidey senses are any good, I think Duncan worked for Marty then when they bought out Brown: General Parts.

ptlyon
02-21-2018, 03:47 PM
You and Dart God should have a nice dinner together just before they close shop at Plaza III - that'd be special.

Somebody's jealous

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Somebody's jealous

Not of Coop - I've already broken bread with DartGod - but I'm a tad jealous of DartGod.

Titty Meat
02-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Morton's was the best steakhouse and I've never found anything made like their Chicken Christopher.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 05:04 PM

I'd just take him to Peppermill and drink beer and size up his Pool game. I shot league at both bars near where his store was. There's a 54th St across the way.

I just wonder if this was Plll isn't paying it's way (That property has to be a big nut to cut) or if new Plaza owners are wanting too much rent on a new lease or have requested them to vacate.

Where is the Plaza going to put what is said to be a new 116,000-square-foot store in 2021. It it's not new where might it go? Old Sears? New building on Ward Parkway? Where P III is?

Where do you put 216K SF when 2 floor of Halls was only half that? What's coming down so the 800lb gorilla can have a place?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0415065,-94.5920486,361m/data=!3m1!1e3

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 05:22 PM
Morton's was the best steakhouse and I've never found anything made like their Chicken Christopher.

I am going with Gibson's in Chicago, But you're dead on Morton's day in, day out was the best in KC I've ever had.

The guys from Morton's went to Capital Grill IIRC I remember the party, I felt lucky to be invited to one stage of it...They had 4 limos and the party kept moving. When they left us we sent them with 2 gallons of healthy margarita's and they came back later for Chocolate Martinis.

That celebration ended up better than the anniversary party for The Tuba....

T-post Tom
02-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Sad to see the icon go. Went there often when I worked on the Plaza years ago. Good food. Saw Don Knotts there once. Not someone you expect to see sitting across from you at dinner.

TribalElder
02-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Plaza 3 was pretty good but I think the other one down by kemper was better (it went out of biz 5 years ago or so)

Maybe not 5 but a while ago. Steakhouse by the stockyards forget the name

TribalElder
02-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Golden ox http://fox4kc.com/2014/12/03/kcs-golden-ox-restaurant-will-soon-serve-its-last-steak/

Had to google

bobbymitch
02-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Plaza 3 was pretty good but I think the other one down by kemper was better (it went out of biz 5 years ago or so)

Maybe not 5 but a while ago. Steakhouse by the stockyards forget the name

Golden Ox?

Titty Meat
02-21-2018, 05:31 PM
I am going with Gibson's in Chicago, But you're dead on Morton's day in, day out was the best in KC I've ever had.

The guys from Morton's went to Capital Grill IIRC I remember the party, I felt lucky to be invited to one stage of it...They had 4 limos and the party kept moving. When they left us we sent them with 2 gallons of healthy margarita's and they came back later for Chocolate Martinis.

Are you talking about Kelly? He's now at Urban Table I think it's called? Out in Prairie Village.

Monkey God
02-21-2018, 05:55 PM
I use to do a lot of business travel to Jacksonville and there was a Plaza III in the hotel I stayed at...yes the same Plaza III...not sure whether opened one there, but it was always busy.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 06:26 PM
I use to do a lot of business travel to Jacksonville and there was a Plaza III in the hotel I stayed at...yes the same Plaza III...not sure whether opened one there, but it was always busy.

We discussed that earlier, It was a franchise.

SAUTO
02-21-2018, 06:40 PM
3155 Terrace, off 7th street traffic way and darn, I can't remember the other main drag off of 35.
The closest bbq joint was Rosedales and I remember thinking "KC is famous for the Q and this is KCq? It sucks!"

***edit*** just came to me, SW Boulevard
I hate Rosedale bbq

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Are you talking about Kelly? He's now at Urban Table I think it's called? Out in Prairie Village.

It's been too many years... I didn't know him, I met him a few times. Some of my friends did. Did he go from Morton's to Cap Grill? in what position?

Next door to the Iguana. For fake Mexican, Dammed decent. I like that the bar keeps LIKE to make top shelve Margaritas, bar gets crazy too. Lots of fake tits banging into you.:D:D:D

SAUTO
02-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Golden ox http://fox4kc.com/2014/12/03/kcs-golden-ox-restaurant-will-soon-serve-its-last-steak/

Had to google

20 to 30 years ago it was fucking awesome

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 06:52 PM
31st st.
Turn right on terrace on your way up the hill on the right. Under the tower.

I was only there a few times, It was rare for me to make parts runs, I had O'Reilly as a courier so unless I was in the area, which I never was, they picked it up.

That lasted about 2 years and some RM put a stop to that...

So, Did you know Marty Brown?

SAUTO's dead on. Rosedale BBQ does suck. BIG TIME If starving, go to Dagwoods...

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 06:56 PM
20 to 30 years ago it was ****ing awesome

+1

towards the end, go to Rosedale BBQ LOL

SAUTO
02-21-2018, 07:01 PM
I liked quick s on Merriam if i was that way

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 07:41 PM
OK you know that area, it was near near Favenger Motors? Bought a 421SD Bonneville off them.

Quicks south side before the curves going east?

Never ate there always running when I was near. Haven't even thought about going in for 30 years... Too late now

I honestly only remember the red building not the brick.

http://vp.cdn.cityvoterinc.com/GetImage.ashx?img=00/00/00/92/97/16/929716-473079.jpg&sw=400&sh=300&w=220&sq=1&cb=0

SAUTO
02-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Yep. Ed retired
Its a gun store now

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 07:52 PM
I saw that. Googled it :D:D:D:D
was it once just the red building?

It was Ed Favinger Motors too. About a block West on the corner. Remember?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0562121,-94.6378911,3a,75y,90.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9BDAMq3Tp4LcHHa2JTEQZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 08:25 PM
I'd just take him to Peppermill and drink beer and size up his Pool game. I shot league at both bars near where his store was. There's a 54th St across the way.

I just wonder if this was Plll isn't paying it's way (That property has to be a big nut to cut) or if new Plaza owners are wanting too much rent on a new lease or have requested them to vacate.

Where is the Plaza going to put what is said to be a new 116,000-square-foot store in 2021. It it's not new where might it go? Old Sears? New building on Ward Parkway? Where P III is?

Where do you put 216K SF when 2 floor of Halls was only half that? What's coming down so the 800lb gorilla can have a place?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0415065,-94.5920486,361m/data=!3m1!1e3

you ever wanna race to 7 on 9 footers you just dial me up pal - pool runs in my fam.

Dartgod
02-21-2018, 08:27 PM
Dartgod, iirc

I don't know what this means, but remember Peppermill and Richie's. I used to shoot darts at Peppermill years later. I guess you were trying to say Blue Ridge and 71. Yeah, between there and Longview Rd. I also spent a fair amount of time at Capitol Bowl and Hickman Mills Fun Center.

Don't know who the redhead is you are talking about. I did run into Dave at the 89th and Troost location. He had stores at 76th and Metcalf, near 95th and Antioch, on Shawnee Mission Pkwy just west of I-35 and Olathe at Sante Fe and Ridgeview. I worked at them all except Shawnee at one time or another. He ended up selling them to Parts Plus and some dickhead from Oklahoma come up here to run the. Jeff something. I couldn't stand that guy. Wouldn't look you in the eye.

What was that black haired guys name at SB?

If you are talking about the owner, it was Rudy Langer. He was a ****ing asshole. Loved suing people.

And I assume the motor pool was at 38th and Main?

Blue Ridge Cutoff and Sni-A-Bar Rd.

Marty Brown... son of a bitch... He was an owner at Keystone/ Bumper to bumper? hooked up Harold Tenenbaum ??? He was a parts hoarder and a shrewd businessman

Both those names sound very familiar.

Which Oreally?

Two different stints. 58th and Troost and 40 Hwy close to where the old Blue Ridge Mall used to be.

Small enough world?

Sure is.

Dartgod
02-21-2018, 08:31 PM

I remember hearing that Motor Pool name, and of course the O'Reilly's thing went bonkers. Spent some time out in LA with Larry O'Reilly at a AWDA conference. One of my neighbors down here retired after 34 years with them.

Yeah, that was Dave. He could be a bit of an asshole at times, but I really liked working for him. Once at the Olathe store some guy came in for an air filter but didn't buy it because it was too expensive. Said he was going to Western Auto down the street instead. He came back a bit later and wanted our filter because they didn't have one in stock. It was still laying on the counter and Dave picks it up and throws it over his shoulder down the warehouse aisle and told the guy we were out of stock too.

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 09:16 PM
you ever wanna race to 7 on 9 footers you just dial me up pal - pool runs in my fam.

Anyone else would take this opportunity.... So will I

Raytown Recreation midnight loser banned for a year

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 09:40 PM
Anyone else would take this opportunity.... So will I

Raytown Recreation midnight loser banned for a year

i'd like to - we should! I'll hit you up - once i go see dad - great!

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Yeah, that was Dave. He could be a bit of an asshole at times, but I really liked working for him. Once at the Olathe store some guy came in for an air filter but didn't buy it because it was too expensive. Said he was going to Western Auto down the street instead. He came back a bit later and wanted our filter because they didn't have one in stock. It was still laying on the counter and Dave picks it up and throws it over his shoulder down the warehouse aisle and told the guy we were out of stock too.

ROFL That was the guy! I loved those kind of guys in the parts business.

When I was a young mechanic, used to have a parts store owner in Wichita that would call you a jackass or something similar when you walked in the door and you would like it.

Kind of like Clint Eastwood and his barber in Gran Torino. :D

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Golden Ox?

Golden Ox is one I left of my list a while ago, very good steak.

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 09:46 PM

oh yes

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 09:53 PM
oh yesAre they still in business?

Do you really have two billion dollars of casino cash? Holy crap, how did you do that?

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Are they still in business?

Do you really have two billion dollars of casino cash? Holy crap, how did you do that?

No Genessee St is permanently closed :(

Simply Red
02-21-2018, 10:01 PM

I do! I honestly don't remember.

HemiEd
02-21-2018, 10:05 PM
No Genessee St is permanently closed :(Was that the only one or was there another location? Sorry to hear it is closed, it was my second favorite to Baby Does, can't believe it slipped my mind.
Further proof the restaurant business is tough with some of these great places that have closed.

I do! I honestly don't remember.

You must have been good at whatever it was you did.

Titty Meat
02-21-2018, 11:42 PM

I'm not sure he had some some french title and I know he's now the GM at Urban Table.

cooper barrett
02-22-2018, 03:37 AM
I don't know what this means, but remember Peppermill and Richie's. I used to shoot darts at Peppermill years later. I guess you were trying to say Blue Ridge and 71. Yeah, between there and Longview Rd. I also spent a fair amount of time at Capitol Bowl and Hickman Mills Fun Center.

Don't know who the redhead is you are talking about. I did run into Dave at the 89th and Troost location. He had stores at 76th and Metcalf,east side near 95th and Antioch cannot place where but I have been there, on Shawnee Mission Pkwy just west of I-35 On the north in a center with a night club in it . There was also, west near Neiman, there was a foreign car parts store. I had a Midget and Olathe at Sante Fe and Ridgeview. I was there a few times. Do you remember the shop where the new Phillips 66 is Santa Fe and I-35? I worked at them all except Shawnee at one time or another. He ended up selling them to Parts Plus and some dickhead from Oklahoma come up here to run the. Jeff something. I couldn't stand that guy. Wouldn't look you in the eye.

If you are talking about the owner, it was Rudy Langer. He was a ****ing asshole. Loved suing people. He bent me over once and I bent him over real good just cause I could "Rudy" was a great name for him

Blue Ridge Cutoff and Sni-A-Bar Rd. Always a bar close to a Motor Pool.ROFL What did you do for Marty, your owner? Oh and the owner of Keystone, And later ADI.

Both those names sound very familiar. Harold owned Benton Auto Parts on Truman Dr and another store at 79th and Wornall. Marty had him bent over but Harold came out ok. Marty owned his real estate, Marty would separate everything that couldn't be returned or reboxed from out of business parts stores and make harold eat them. Wasn't your store full of crap? The one on Main had a basement full of non HEI caps, wires. Anything he couldn't force on Harold was thrown down there

Two different stints. 58th and Troost When?, We did some business when we had a shop at 63rd and Tracy and 40 Hwy close to where the old Blue Ridge Mall used to be. 40 highway on the right going east. Did you know Roger Hurst? I did business with the 23rd and Lees Summit rd store in Ind.

Sure is.

Dunkin must have had some guy leave a tie at his house, he hated everyone who wore one. He could be funny as hell sometimes too.

Where did you pedal British parts, down on OAK?

I am going to guess that one time or another money went from my hand to yours. It is a small world.

Simply Red
02-22-2018, 03:40 AM
Was that the only one or was there another location? Sorry to hear it is closed, it was my second favorite to Baby Does, can't believe it slipped my mind.
Further proof the restaurant business is tough with some of these great places that have closed.

Seems like there were - I don't recall for sure, where - Also, no; somebody gave that cash to me.

BryanBusby
02-22-2018, 03:46 AM
I hate Rosedale bbq
If aids has an actual taste, it would taste like BBQ from Rosedale.

cooper barrett
02-22-2018, 04:19 AM

oh yes

No Genessee St is permanently closed :([
NO NO[SIZE="7"] [SIZE="7"]NO :shake::D

They will be reopening, they are splitting space with Stockyard's Brewing. And they are hiring!

Career opportunity for you SR

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/fbh/d/golden-ox-currently-hiring/6480303032.html

Golden Ox October 7, 2017 · Kansas City, MO · Hello! Here's an update: all essential systems have been updated and installed (woohoo)! The exhaust system for the wood burning grill alone is something of awe. (You can see it mounted on the roof of the brewery next door). Next step is flooring and finishing the interior. People, we are getting close! BUT, still much work needs to be done. Although, nothing nearly as substantial as what we had to surmount thus far. We are definitely under 6 months out.

cooper barrett
02-22-2018, 04:30 AM
Was that the only one or was there another location? Sorry to hear it is closed, it was my second favorite to Baby Does, can't believe it slipped my mind.

Here is a picture of Baby Does just so the young ones can visualize what kind of hillbilly you really are :D:D:D:D:D

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/73/88/51/7388511ed65096c729a090ed6040a3a2--kansas-city-missouri-street-art.jpg

cooper barrett
02-22-2018, 04:42 AM
I'm not sure he had some some french title ( Chef de Cuisine???) and I know he's now the GM at Urban Table.

Did he change his name to Jason?

Executive Chef: Jason Finnerty

General Manager: Jason Musick.

with Finnerty's name removed on their website but not off the corporate site.

HemiEd
02-22-2018, 05:36 AM
Here is a picture of Baby Does just so the young ones can visualize what kind of hillbilly you really are :D:D:D:D:D

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/73/88/51/7388511ed65096c729a090ed6040a3a2--kansas-city-missouri-street-art.jpg

Yeah, it was kind of a funny place to walk in to, but the prime rib was the best I have ever had, still to this day.

Every time I had any say or influence on where we went, that was my first choice.

cooper barrett
02-22-2018, 05:50 AM
Used to be a go to business place for me with me laying out some schmeel about "I'm not getting rich on this deal but I promised you dinner... Here we are!"

Alway's closed the deal

So did you know of Marty Brown?

HemiEd
02-22-2018, 07:06 AM
Used to be a go to business place for me with me laying out some schmeel about "I'm not getting rich on this deal but I promised you dinner... Here we are!"

Alway's closed the deal

So did you know of Marty Brown?

Knew of him, I believe he owned the Bumper to Bumper warehouse and heard him talked about quite a bit. The overall context wasn't such that I would look forward to meeting him.

Paul and his son W.D. "Dan" Meyers owned ADI.

Once again, we had eleven warehouse salesman and I was a southwest Kansas guy then with Green Light/Parts plus got SE Kansas.

Garden City, Liberal, Pratt, Dodge City, Great Bend were my best towns.

Dartgod
02-22-2018, 07:29 AM
Dunkin must have had some guy leave a tie at his house, he hated everyone who wore one. He could be funny as hell sometimes too.

Where did you pedal British parts, down on OAK?

I am going to guess that one time or another money went from my hand to yours. It is a small world.

One thing I remember about Dave is whenever he signed something from UPS or whatever, he'd just scribble his name and they'd always ask what the name was for their records and he'd tell them Evad Nancud.

The British parts place was on Shawnee Mission Pkwy, but he had another store down around Westport, on Broadway I think. The owners name was Frank something. Can't recall the last name. I hated that job. One day I just decided I didn't want to work there anymore and didn't show up on a Saturday. His wife called me at home and I just told her I quit.

cooper barrett
02-22-2018, 08:30 AM
One thing I remember about Dave is whenever he signed something from UPS or whatever, he'd just scribble his name and they'd always ask what the name was for their records and he'd tell them Evad Nancud.

The British parts place was on Shawnee Mission Pkwy, but he had another store down around Westport, on Broadway I think. East side north of Westport Rd. The owners name was Frank something. Can't recall the last name. I hated that job. One day I just decided I didn't want to work there anymore and didn't show up on a Saturday. His wife called me at home and I just told her I quit.

Just east of Neiman? You might remember me. My GF was a coal black haired girl with the looks of a young Cher, but with tits, and we came up in an
green MGB and/ or a Pumpkin Midget. Both were rubber baby buggy bumper models. I didn't buy too much there as his prices were anything but fair, but left enough cash behind.

Frank was not happy when I bought my Piranha ignition from a place in NKC where appearance he bought his... The guy said something about calling about it and sold it to me at Frank's cost, don't recall going back much after that bonus.

There was a place on SM and Metcalf but by that time it was Yamaha. Ever meet Joe Engle?

Dartgod
02-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Just east of Neiman? You might remember me. My GF was a coal black haired girl with the looks of a young Cher, but with tits, and we came up in an
green MGB and/ or a Pumpkin Midget. Both were rubber baby buggy bumper models. I didn't buy too much there as his prices were anything but fair, but left enough cash behind.

Frank was not happy when I bought my Piranha ignition from a place in NKC where appearance he bought his... The guy said something about calling about it and sold it to me at Frank's cost, don't recall going back much after that bonus.

There was a place on SM and Metcalf but by that time it was Yamaha. Ever meet Joe Engle?

Yeah, that was the place. And no, I don't remember any particulars about any customers, lol. That was close to 30 years ago.

I do remember Frank's last name now. Stoddard.

TribalElder
05-21-2018, 08:25 PM
Plaza 3 is back

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cityscape/article211411174.html

It will be in a strip mall on metcalf or something LMAO

Just weeks after closing on the Country Club Plaza, Plaza III the Steakhouse is set to make a comeback in Overland Park.

Its owners, Haddad Restaurant Group, have signed a lease for 12631 Metcalf Ave. They said their clientele would be better served by a "smaller, neighborhood-oriented location."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cityscape/article211411174.html#storylink=cpy

ChiliConCarnage
05-21-2018, 08:30 PM
Interesting, looks like it'll be in the strip mall with Minskys and the peanut.

Titty Meat
05-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Interesting, looks like it'll be in the strip mall with Minskys and the peanut.

Two south plaza establishment and a former plaza tenant. I guess this is the restaurant version of white flight.

srvy
05-21-2018, 08:59 PM

I could get a really good steak ant Jimmy and Mary's or Jess and Jims for a lot less.

Simply Red
05-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Plaza 3 is back

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cityscape/article211411174.html

It will be in a strip mall on metcalf or something LMAO

Just weeks after closing on the Country Club Plaza, Plaza III the Steakhouse is set to make a comeback in Overland Park.

Its owners, Haddad Restaurant Group, have signed a lease for 12631 Metcalf Ave. They said their clientele would be better served by a "smaller, neighborhood-oriented location."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cityscape/article211411174.html#storylink=cpy

closed in under 5 years - write it down.

TribalElder
05-21-2018, 09:41 PM
closed in under 5 years - write it down.

That strip mall is not a destination by any means. Hard to believe they are even going to try this.

Simply Red
05-22-2018, 06:06 AM
That strip mall is not a destination by any means. Hard to believe they are even going to try this.

I saw the same attempt by Merlot's (here in Georgia) moving from an isolated building in John's Creek to a strip mall in Suwanee - Just won't work.

redfan
05-22-2018, 06:47 AM

Rent is probably a lot cheaper.