PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Cap decesions

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2018, 08:25 AM
Just found this. Good explanation of where we're at and what we can do.
Ha, Sorenson should stay!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1O7Fhx26ku0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch
03-04-2018, 08:28 AM
I liked his video about NFL QB's and how they should spend on them better...

Rausch
03-04-2018, 08:44 AM
He seems to be underestimating our cap savings. Still, by his numbers we could go into free agency with almost $35 million to spend (if we cut/trade/release Hali, Ford, and Bailey.)

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2018, 08:57 AM
If I were Veach I'd be asking Houston to restructure based on his production. His pass coverage skills aren't worth anywhere near 20 mil a year.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-04-2018, 09:06 AM
You guys realize that Ford and Sorensen aren't getting cut right?

Deberg_1990
03-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Doubt they release Ford, but it’s an interesting dilemma

Rausch
03-04-2018, 09:30 AM

I thought I knew what V would do until Smith and Peters got traded.

Clearly he's not afraid of getting his sword wet...

Easy 6
03-04-2018, 09:35 AM

Wasnt real sure about Sorensen, but I knew damn good and well Ford wasnt going anywhere

Hoover
03-04-2018, 10:04 AM
I think it would be a mistake to let Ford go. I mean who one earth are we signing that we need all this cap space for? I think you swallow the Ford deal in hopes he plays well so you can get a nice comp pick after he leaves. Now if we were going into this year looking at a legit super bowl run I get it. But we are not in that situation. I think we are active in the FA market trying to find YOUNG talent at keep positions. Those players looking for their second contracts, but even then, I don't think we need Dee Ford's 7 million to get that done.

Red Dawg
03-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Cut Hali already. Keep the rest and spend some damn money.

Chief Roundup
03-04-2018, 11:52 AM
I think it would be a mistake to let Ford go. I mean who one earth are we signing that we need all this cap space for? I think you swallow the Ford deal in hopes he plays well so you can get a nice comp pick after he leaves. Now if we were going into this year looking at a legit super bowl run I get it. But we are not in that situation. I think we are active in the FA market trying to find YOUNG talent at keep positions. Those players looking for their second contracts, but even then, I don't think we need Dee Ford's 7 million to get that done.

Veach has made it clear that Ford will be on this roster for 2018.

Chief Roundup
03-04-2018, 11:54 AM

After his restructure that will not happen unless it is a post June 1 situation.

chiefzilla1501
03-04-2018, 12:18 PM
http://4.images.southparkstudios.com/blogs/southparkstudios.com/files/2014/02/1205-cartman-teacher-a.jpg?quality=0.8

All these deefecult decesions

stumppy
03-04-2018, 12:26 PM
http://4.images.southparkstudios.com/blogs/southparkstudios.com/files/2014/02/1205-cartman-teacher-a.jpg?quality=0.8

All these deefecult decesions

Are you going to decede or not?

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2018, 01:02 PM
You guys are detroying my confedence

Rausch
03-04-2018, 01:04 PM

BUT THESE ARE ALL BUSINESS DECISIONS!

Sigh.

It's all well and good until you've met them and KNOW they're actually good people...

TimeForWasp
03-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Cap their asses.http://covermyfb.com/media/covers/3217-shot-in-the-head.jpg

TimBone
03-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Defenetely some tough decesions to be maid.

oldman
03-04-2018, 03:29 PM
I'm for keeping Sorenson, just use him as a S, not an ILB. I don't care for Ford, but until I see what we come up with in the draft, I guess he has to stay. Logan is another we need to hang on to until we have a replacement. Hali needs to go.

Chief Roundup
03-04-2018, 03:32 PM

ROFL

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Hey, it was first thing in the mourning and I didn't proof reed before I hit enter.

kccrow
03-04-2018, 04:05 PM
I disagree about some of the "lower paid players" being "insignificant" when it comes to cap decisions.

Cases in point:

Demetrius Harris. Cap charge of $2.3 million and can create cap space of $2.1 millon.

Charcandrick West. Cap charge of $2.0 million and can create cap space of $1.7 million.

Frank Zombo. Cap charge of $1.3 million and can create cap space of $1.1 million.

Let's pretend for a second that we cut all 3, resulting in approximately $700,000 in dead money and $4.9 million in cap space.

I bring in a UDFA third-down back on a 1-year deal for $480,000 to replace West or I roll with Akeem Hunt.

I'd look to be drafting a competent #2 TE to replace Harris no matter what because Harris is still really raw and ineffective despite his years in the NFL. That space is already going to be accounted for to some extent by moves made and the draft class buffer.

I bring in a younger pass rusher with upside, like an Attaochu for $790,000+ incentives.

I bring in a DT like a Justin Ellis on a 4 year deal at $3.5 million in year 1.

Did my team makeup improve? I get a starter at NT, a player with more upside than Zombo that can still be a special teams guy, I repace West's contributions easily with jag, and I'm looking to replace Harris anyhow because he sucks ass.

I was going to add in Chris Conley, even though I like Conley. You cut him, you have $200,000 in dead cap and $1.9 million in savings. That could bring cutting all 4 to $6.8 million, which is a really good starter somewhere. Yes, you have to replace 3 more guys and I get that, but are the Chiefs worse off with Kemp or Deiter filling a spot at WR than having Conley? What about adding Ellis and two receivers, say Brice Butler and Deonte Thompson? I'm guessing Butler comes in around $2.8-3 million and Thompson around $1.0 million. You add two guys with great speed, and Butler has flashed more "great" traits than Conley to date.

There is a method to cutting guys "below $4.0 million." That can't be your arbitrary cutoff point in making decisions. Yeah, below $2.0 million, I'd say you really begin to get a diminishing return, but $4.0 million is being stupid about it.

Couch-Potato
03-04-2018, 04:51 PM
So then, who would you cut?

Tamba?

Ford?

Bailey?

Sorenson?

Also, I'm surprised we haven't discussed restructuring Houston more at CP.

DaneMcCloud
03-04-2018, 04:53 PM
I'm for keeping Sorenson, just use him as a S, not an ILB. I don't care for Ford, but until I see what we come up with in the draft, I guess he has to stay. Logan is another we need to hang on to until we have a replacement. Hali needs to go.

Fuck Sorenson.

There’s no way he’s worth $4.8 million this year.

Cut him, Mick.

Couch-Potato
03-04-2018, 04:58 PM
**** Sorenson.

There’s no way he’s worth $4.8 million this year.

Cut him, Mick.

This^

Chiefshrink
03-04-2018, 05:25 PM
I disagree about some of the "lower paid players" being "insignificant" when it comes to cap decisions.

Cases in point:

Demetrius Harris. Cap charge of $2.3 million and can create cap space of $2.1 millon.

Charcandrick West. Cap charge of $2.0 million and can create cap space of $1.7 million.

Frank Zombo. Cap charge of $1.3 million and can create cap space of $1.1 million.

Let's pretend for a second that we cut all 3, resulting in approximately $700,000 in dead money and $4.9 million in cap space.

I bring in a UDFA third-down back on a 1-year deal for $480,000 to replace West or I roll with Akeem Hunt.

I'd look to be drafting a competent #2 TE to replace Harris no matter what because Harris is still really raw and ineffective despite his years in the NFL. That space is already going to be accounted for to some extent by moves made and the draft class buffer.

I bring in a younger pass rusher with upside, like an Attaochu for $790,000+ incentives.

Did my team makeup improve? I get a starter at NT, a player with more upside than Zombo that can still be a special teams guy, I repace West's contributions easily with jag, and I'm looking to replace Harris anyhow because he sucks ass.

I was going to add in Chris Conley, even though I like Conley. You cut him, you have $200,000 in dead cap and $1.9 million in savings. That could bring cutting all 4 to $6.8 million, which is a really good starter somewhere. Yes, you have to replace 3 more guys and I get that, but are the Chiefs worse off with Kemp or Deiter filling a spot at WR than having Conley? What about adding Ellis and two receivers, say Brice Butler and Deonte Thompson? I'm guessing Butler comes in around $2.8-3 million and Thompson around $1.0 million. You add two guys with great speed, and Butler has flashed more "great" traits than Conley to date.

There is a method to cutting guys "below $4.0 million." That can't be your arbitrary cutoff point in making decisions. Yeah, below $2.0 million, I'd say you really begin to get a diminishing return, but $4.0 million is being stupid about it.

CP's very own "capologist" !!! Excellent breakdown !! Are you an accountant by chance ??:D

Chief Roundup
03-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Hey, it was first thing in the mourning and I didn't proof reed before I hit enter.

:deevee:

Chiefshrink
03-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Sorenson should have been immediately cut after the Pitt game when he didn't lay out Bryant when he had the chance that might have won the game for us giving us a crucial stop. At the very minimum at least benched the next game.:#

bigjosh
03-04-2018, 05:29 PM
So then, who would you cut?

Tamba?

Ford?

Bailey?

Sorenson?

Also, I'm surprised we haven't discussed restructuring Houston more at CP.

Cut them all.

Fuck restructuring Houston too, thats how we ended up with Hali until he turns 60 fucking years old.

chiefzilla1501
03-04-2018, 05:34 PM

Cases in point:

I thought Harris started to come along in the second half. And I liked what I saw out of Conley before he got hurt. On defense by all means start over. But mahomes being new, these guys aren't expensive enough for us to consider penny pinching. These guys know the offense and worst case, they get beat out by somebody better and become quality depth.

kccrow
03-04-2018, 06:14 PM
CP's very own "capologist" !!! Excellent breakdown !! Are you an accountant by chance ??:D

Master's in it. :)

HemiEd
03-04-2018, 07:44 PM
I saw the OP headline and thought I was going to learn a new word, or one of the Chiefs got their head cut off, or maybe they were pulling out of the NFL.

HemiEd
03-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Maby/badgirl