PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Tiger Woods

Pages : [1] 2

Hamwallet
03-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Anyone else watch golf for the first time in a long time today? He seems to be getting back to form. He was right in it today, next week is Bay Hill, that dude lived on the course for a LONG time.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Fooled again. Only made the putt when it didn't matter.

O.city
03-11-2018, 04:16 PM
He’s back thankfully

As long as his health holds up

Dartgod
03-11-2018, 04:16 PM
If only there was a thread where all manner of golf talk took place. :hmmm:

Hamwallet
03-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Shit. My bad.

Dartgod
03-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Shit. My bad.

Don't sweat it, just flipping you some shit.

Kman34
03-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Fooled again. Only made the putt when it didn't matter.

You truly don't have a clue....

RippedmyFlesh
03-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Golf is more fun when Tiger is good. Really wanted him to pull it out today.

03-11-2018, 06:07 PM
You truly don't have a clue....

Deep down inside you know it's true. He'll never win another major.

lewdog
03-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Unless he’s managing his sex addiction, his back likely won’t hold out long term.

KC_Connection
03-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Maybe not, but he's clearly physically capable of playing golf at the highest level based on this week. That's the first step of any kind of comeback.

srvy
03-11-2018, 06:40 PM
I watched him Saturday he looked good, but that back will go. They talked about how he learned how not to take it back so far and torque his back in process. He then proceeded to generate 108 mph swing speed on a drive lol. His back wont last IMO.

Kman34
03-11-2018, 07:14 PM

After watching him this week against this competition and one of the hardest courses on tour... If his health holds out .. he'll win again...

Kyle DeLexus
03-11-2018, 07:16 PM
I watched him Saturday he looked good, but that back will go. They talked about how he learned how not to take it back so far and torque his back in process. He then proceeded to generate 108 mph swing speed on a drive lol. His back wont last IMO.

108 mph is not very fast. I swing faster than that and I'm not exactly a long drive guy. Tiger is hitting 129 mph and clocking as the fastest swing each week.

ChiefsCountry
03-11-2018, 07:22 PM
CBS is hoping for a Tiger vs Speith or Rory Sunday showdown at the Masters.

srvy
03-11-2018, 07:23 PM
108 mph is not very fast. I swing faster than that and I'm not exactly a long drive guy. Tiger is hitting 129 mph and clocking as the fastest swing each week.

Yeah thats a brain fart he was at 129 with Driver 108 with and iron out of the rough.

Hamwallet
03-11-2018, 08:30 PM
To think a billionaire golfer named Tiger Woods cannot keep this up... it’s not the NFL.

BWillie
03-11-2018, 09:26 PM
So he's probably the 40th best golfer in the world. If that.

Remember when he got all those kids into golf, and a record number of kids started golfing? Well, those kids are all in their prime right now. The guys he has to beat are better than Mark O'Meara and Fuzzy Zoeller.

milkman
03-12-2018, 02:48 AM

Mega threads suck, and mods that push mega threads suck more.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-12-2018, 06:45 AM
And?

ptlyon
03-12-2018, 08:56 AM
CBS is hoping for a Tiger vs Speith or Rory Sunday showdown at the Masters.

Who ain't?

Jerm
03-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Should've won TBH, missed a couple of putts that could've easily went in...he looked really good.

Consistency is going to be the biggest key for him...curious to see if he can keep it up. I think he can if the back holds up.

JohnnyHammersticks
03-12-2018, 01:03 PM
If you throw a healthy, competitive Tiger back in the mix along with Spieth, Thomas, Johnson, McIlroy, Day, Rahm, Garcia, and Mickelson, golf could be must-see TV for the foreseeable future.

ptlyon
03-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Should've won TBH, missed a couple of putts that could've easily went in...he looked really good.

He also lacked iron play that could have put him in better position to make more putts, but thought it was an impressive first outing regardless.

Jerm
03-12-2018, 01:20 PM
He also lacked iron play that could have put him in better position to make more putts, but thought it was an impressive first outing regardless.

Yeah the shot into 18 is the one in particular where I thought he was going to stick it...came off that bomb on 17, hit a good drive, and then hit 35 ft. to the left of a gettable hole location.

KC_Connection
03-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Yeah the shot into 18 is the one in particular where I thought he was going to stick it...came off that bomb on 17, hit a good drive, and then hit 35 ft. to the left of a gettable hole location.
Well he was 200 yards away. Didn't exactly leave himself an easy iron shot off the drive.

Jerm
03-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Well he was 200 yards away. Didn't exactly leave himself an easy iron shot off the drive.

True but nowadays that's like a 7 iron lol...I get what you're saying though.

Be interested to see how he does at Bay Hill with so many good memories.

GloryDayz
03-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Great to see him back. Pretty much the GOAT IMO...

03-18-2018, 03:11 PM
And I was fooled again! Gets within 1 and pulls a drive out of bounds on 16-- a hole he birdied 3 times this week. Mentally, this guy will never get back. It's always one choke after the other.

tmw4h5
03-18-2018, 03:36 PM
And I was fooled again! Gets within 1 and pulls a drive out of bounds on 16-- a hole he birdied 3 times this week. Mentally, this guy will never get back. It's always one choke after the other.

One choke after the other. What is this, like his fourth tournament since having spinal fusion surgery?

This guy has NO business even contending at this point and he's outplaying a number of guys.

You are a moron.

KCTitus
03-18-2018, 03:46 PM
I havent missed Tiger...quite frankly, I have enjoyed golf with or without the guy.

I dont hate Tiger, I think he's one of the best golfers in the history of the sport, but I hate the dumbshittery and dumbassery that accompanies his mere presence on the course let alone his contention in a tournament.

I get it he's a great golfer...excellent...but the verbal fellating is just too much.

kcxiv
03-18-2018, 03:48 PM
I havent missed Tiger...quite frankly, I have enjoyed golf with or without the guy.

I dont hate Tiger, I think he's one of the best golfers in the history of the sport, but I hate the dumbshittery and dumbassery that accompanies his mere presence on the course let alone his contention in a tournament.

I get it he's a great golfer...excellent...but the verbal fellating is just too much.Because people want to see him. He brings in the crowds and the ratings, thats why people fellate him alot. Its not different then, Manning, Brady, Lebron or Kobe. Same shit.

kcxiv
03-18-2018, 03:49 PM
One choke after the other. What is this, like his fourth tournament since having spinal fusion surgery?

This guy has NO business even contending at this point and he's outplaying a number of guys.

You are a moron. People will be idiots man. just have to let him be a fucking idiot and just laugh at his post. lol

JimNasium
03-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Steroids took their toll on him in my opinion. His back is bad and his joints are wearing out. Jack's record is safe.

03-18-2018, 03:58 PM

You are a moron.

Yeah, I'm only talking this year.

Kman34
03-18-2018, 05:16 PM

You ever watch Phil Mickelson play?? Stupid statement... Did Tiger screw your girlfriend,wife, or mom???

GloryDayz
03-18-2018, 05:42 PM
You ever watch Phil Mickelson play?? Stupid statement... Did Tiger screw your girlfriend,wife, or mom???No shit. Tiger is a legend, for all the right reasons, I'm not sure how anybody shits on him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Because people want to see him. He brings in the crowds and the ratings, thats why people fellate him alot. Its not different then, Manning, Brady, Lebron or Kobe. Same shit.

Except it's golf.

And shitty and boring.

GloryDayz
03-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Except it's golf.

And shitty and boring.Interesting enough for you to be in the thread.

03-18-2018, 06:03 PM
You ever watch Phil Mickelson play?? Stupid statement... Did Tiger screw your girlfriend,wife, or mom???

I was/am a huge tiger fan. It's just what it is.

KCTitus
03-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Because people want to see him. He brings in the crowds and the ratings, thats why people fellate him alot. Its not different then, Manning, Brady, Lebron or Kobe. Same shit.

Possibly, although your other examples play a team sport...99% of the coverage coming down the back nine was Tiger, even after he put himself out of contention and we were treated to slow mo breakdowns of his swing and commercials while he walked to his ball, and further commentary on his 'thinking' and strategy and how he's battling his innermost demons, blah de fucking blah...

While that's happening one of the greatest finishes of the tournament is happening and it's an afterthought.

Examining Tigers rectum might draw viewers, but frankly, I watch the coverage to see the golf tournament. He was done after the bogey on 14. That should have been the end of his wall to wall coverage.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Interesting enough for you to be in the thread.

Tiger is interesting in a train wreck kind of way.

Golf, not so much.

KC_Connection
03-18-2018, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I'm only talking this year.
Just takes one win to turn a mental block around. And if you keep putting yourself in that position enough times (it has become obvious now that as long as he's healthy he's certainly going to do that), it's bound to happen eventually.

KC_Connection
03-18-2018, 07:16 PM
Possibly, although your other examples play a team sport...99% of the coverage coming down the back nine was Tiger, even after he put himself out of contention and we were treated to slow mo breakdowns of his swing and commercials while he walked to his ball, and further commentary on his 'thinking' and strategy and how he's battling his innermost demons, blah de ****ing blah...

While that's happening one of the greatest finishes of the tournament is happening and it's an afterthought.

Examining Tigers rectum might draw viewers, but frankly, I watch the coverage to see the golf tournament. He was done after the bogey on 14. That should have been the end of his wall to wall coverage.
I'd rather watch Tiger Woods walk and talk to his caddie than watch most of those other guys in most circumstances and I consider myself a pretty big golf fan.

KCTitus
03-18-2018, 07:26 PM
I'd rather watch Tiger Woods walk and talk to his caddie than watch most of those other guys in most circumstances and I consider myself a pretty big golf fan.

Good for you...you're not a golf fan...but like I said, Tiger's presence brings all sorts of dumbshittery and dumbassery...I'll let you choose which you are.

KC_Connection
03-18-2018, 10:23 PM
Good for you...you're not a golf fan...

No, I'm a huge one. I watch the PGA Tour nearly every week and often watch the other various tours as well. I can also recognize that Tiger Woods is quite possibly the best golfer who ever lived and that him contending again after nearly a 4 year absence from top competition is a far bigger story/far more interesting than Rory Mcilroy, Henrik Stenson or Justin Rose winning some minor tournament.

04-05-2018, 12:18 PM
God I hate being a Tiger fan. A little pressure/expectations on him and he wilts again. YE Yang killed him

crayzkirk
04-05-2018, 12:27 PM
I had a problem with Tiger for a long time and then realized that he wasn't the problem... The problem is the media coverage. Just like Jack Nicolas, he could be in next to last place and the crews would be ignoring the leaders and focusing on Jack. I felt the same way about Jack. As soon as Tiger got healthy, it's all anyone talked about. If I were one of the other tour players, it would seem like this would really fire me up (assuming that you can get really fired up about golf).

I like seeing good golf; it doesn't matter who is playing. As far as the best that ever played, it's hard to top Nicolas because of his ability to make that late charge up the leader board. Tiger won most of his tournaments while out in front and watching the competition melt under the pressure.

Still a good excuse to take a nap. Even when the big tournaments are on.

BlackHelicopters
04-05-2018, 12:32 PM
I had a problem with Tiger for a long time and then realized that he wasn't the problem... The problem is the media coverage. Just like Jack Nicolas, he could be in next to last place and the crews would be ignoring the leaders and focusing on Jack. I felt the same way about Jack. As soon as Tiger got healthy, it's all anyone talked about. If I were one of the other tour players, it would seem like this would really fire me up (assuming that you can get really fired up about golf).

I like seeing good golf; it doesn't matter who is playing. As far as the best that ever played, it's hard to top Nicolas because of his ability to make that late charge up the leader board. Tiger won most of his tournaments while out in front and watching the competition melt under the pressure.

Still a good excuse to take a nap. Even when the big tournaments are on.

Not sure you understand scoring in golf. Make a double bogey ? Guy in next group makes a birdie? That’s three shots. Suddenly. No lead in golf is safe. Tiger feels the pressure like anyone who picks up the driver on #1 tee.

crayzkirk
04-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Not sure you understand scoring in golf. Make a double bogey ? Guy in next group makes a birdie? That’s three shots. Suddenly. No lead in golf is safe. Tiger feels the pressure like anyone who picks up the driver on #1 tee.

Yeah, I understand golf scoring. I also understand that certain players drive TV ratings and advertisers drive what is shown. My point is that if you aren't a fan of only Tiger or Jack (I was a Tom Watson fan), it's very frustrating for your player to get almost zero TV time when they are fighting for the lead and the popular player is lining up a double bogey and ten strokes out of it.

Dilly, Dilly...

BlackHelicopters
04-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I understand golf scoring. I also understand that certain players drive TV ratings and advertisers drive what is shown. My point is that if you aren't a fan of only Tiger or Jack (I was a Tom Watson fan), it's very frustrating for your player to get almost zero TV time when they are fighting for the lead and the popular player is lining up a double bogey and ten strokes out of it.

Dilly, Dilly...

I am still a Watson fan.

BWillie
04-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Never been the same since Elin hit him in the face with a 9 iron.

eDave
04-05-2018, 03:41 PM
I don't watch golf, unless Tiger is playing.

otherstar
04-05-2018, 03:51 PM
I am still a Watson fan.

Me too! I still think Nicklaus is the GOAT because you need to figure in the number of top 5 finishes Nicklaus had in Majors in his career.

Jack Nicklaus--note the sheer dominance from 1963-1981:
https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/p/db43932bfe882f0c7080134420004a21/imgur.com/2anVofv.jpg

Tiger is great, but he does not come anywhere close to that level of dominance in Majors. Tiger only dominated like that from 1998-2009. Jack had a 9 year stretch where he only finished out of the top 10 in a Major five times, and only missed the cut in a Major once in that same time frame. Tiger never came close to that.

fan4ever
04-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Curious; what other sports do you limit to one athlete?

04-05-2018, 04:15 PM

I'm close to that way in Men's tennis. Doubt I'll watch much of the clay season with Federer out. May catch some of the young Americans or Kyrgios.

fan4ever
04-05-2018, 05:28 PM
I'm close to that way in Men's tennis. Doubt I'll watch much of the clay season with Federer out. May catch some of the young Americans or Kyrgios.

I get having your favorites...but I wouldn't not watch a sport because my favorite guy wasn't crushing the field anymore...and I DO KNOW a lot of guys who wouldn't watch golf if Tiger wasn't playing but that's when he was good...where if someone else won, and Tiger didn't play, it was almost considered illegitimate. Nowadays, if you're not watching because Tiger ain't the star you're really not a golf fan and missing out on a lot of great young players...

Kiimo
04-05-2018, 05:37 PM

Has anyone watched the Tour De France since Lance's fall from grace?

BlackHelicopters
04-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Me too! I still think Nicklaus is the GOAT because you need to figure in the number of top 5 finishes Nicklaus had in Majors in his career.

Jack Nicklaus--note the sheer dominance from 1963-1981:
https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/p/db43932bfe882f0c7080134420004a21/imgur.com/2anVofv.jpg

Tiger is great, but he does not come anywhere close to that level of dominance in Majors. Tiger only dominated like that from 1998-2009. Jack had a 9 year stretch where he only finished out of the top 10 in a Major five times, and only missed the cut in a Major once in that same time frame. Tiger never came close to that.

Jack won 19. Second in a nearly unmatchable 18.

fan4ever
04-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Has anyone watched the Tour De France since Lance's fall from grace?

Never watched it; boring to me...now, the cycling where they go around the track and wipe out that's in the olympics...that's entertainment...kind of like NASCAR with kickstands.

GloryDayz
04-05-2018, 06:54 PM

I'll add that Tiger and Phil are why I watch.

JimNasium
04-05-2018, 07:03 PM

I’d suggest that Jack’s competition was also much stronger. Add to that fact that he was hauling his family between tournaments in a station wagon and there’s no doubt that he’s the GOAT.

I’d put Bobby Jones in the conversation, but not Tiger.

otherstar
04-05-2018, 07:50 PM
I’d suggest that Jack’s competition was also much stronger. Add to that fact that he was hauling his family between tournaments in a station wagon and there’s no doubt that he’s the GOAT.

I’d put Bobby Jones in the conversation, but not Tiger.

Yes indeed Jack's competition was MUCH stronger: Gary Player (nine majors), Tom Watson (eight), Arnold Palmer (seven), Lee Trevino (six) and Seve Ballesteros (five). That is some pretty tough competition compared to what, Ernie Els and Phil Mickleson?

otherstar
04-05-2018, 07:51 PM

My point exactly. Had he not faced such real competition, he might have won more of those second place finishes. Some of Jack's second place finishes have been some of the most epic battles in golf (particularly the duel in the Sun at Turnberry in 1977 when Jack lost the British Open to Tom Watson).

KCTitus
04-05-2018, 07:51 PM
I had a problem with Tiger for a long time and then realized that he wasn't the problem... The problem is the media coverage.

Exactly. Too young to remember TV coverage with Jack, except for his run in the 85 Masters.

There has been no other player in the last 30 years where TV coverage literally fellated the player from start to finish and God have mercy if he's anywhere near the lead, then no one else is on the course even if there were others doing better.

I do remember a few tournaments where Tiger started to really drop and then there was a media blackout on his play...from every shot to nothing...it was funny to me.

Im glad Tiger is back and playing...I think it's great for golf and I feel good for him coming back from his injuries. I just hope that the coverage is not over the top at the Masters.

04-06-2018, 12:33 AM
Steroids took their toll on him in my opinion. His back is bad and his joints are wearing out. Jack's record is safe.

Hope it stays that way. Jack has always been my favorite golf pro.

04-06-2018, 12:34 AM
Exactly. Too young to remember TV coverage with Jack, except for his run in the 85 Masters.

There has been no other player in the last 30 years where TV coverage literally fellated the player from start to finish and God have mercy if he's anywhere near the lead, then no one else is on the course even if there were others doing better.

I do remember a few tournaments where Tiger started to really drop and then there was a media blackout on his play...from every shot to nothing...it was funny to me.

Im glad Tiger is back and playing...I think it's great for golf and I feel good for him coming back from his injuries. I just hope that the coverage is not over the top at the Masters.
Thats exactly why I got sick of him. He was basically the only person the networks would put a camera on. Annoying as hell.

crayzkirk
04-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Thats exactly why I got sick of him. He was basically the only person the networks would put a camera on. Annoying as hell.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

While the shot making ability of Tiger was always amazing, he did play in an era where there was no real competition for him. Golf has become much more robotic, where players all have technically correct swings and not a lot of personality.

eDave
04-06-2018, 11:57 AM
https://i.redd.it/jxup84l6y9q01.png

04-06-2018, 12:17 PM
^ Old head is having himself a bad round 2. Suck it, Spieth.

Bowser
04-06-2018, 12:34 PM

LMAO

Accurate

MahiMike
04-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Anyone else watch golf for the first time in a long time today? He seems to be getting back to form. He was right in it today, next week is Bay Hill, that dude lived on the course for a LONG time.

This is one of many reasons I hate Tiger. Fake fans come out of hiding. PGA was better without being the TigerTour...

fan4ever
04-06-2018, 02:04 PM

:clap:

srvy
04-06-2018, 02:48 PM
I litterly get home switch on the masters and low and behold who is on? None outher than Tigger. So I figure he is in contention as he shank's one off into the trees. He is in 40th place lol and getting coverage.

dlphg9
04-06-2018, 03:51 PM
I litterly get home switch on the masters and low and behold who is on? None outher than Tigger. So I figure he is in contention as he shank's one off into the trees. He is in 40th place lol and getting coverage.

You don't expect Tiger to get coverage? Are you retarded?

04-06-2018, 04:08 PM
You don't expect Tiger to get coverage? Are you retarded?Personally, I hope he misses the cut. Last thing we need is the "tiger watch" when he is nowhere near the leader board.

KChiefs1
04-06-2018, 04:11 PM

He’s the only person that makes golf relevant.

srvy
04-06-2018, 04:29 PM
You don't expect Tiger to get coverage? Are you retarded?

I kinda like to follow the leader you know the people in contention that will be there on the weekend'

Again who is the dumbass?

srvy
04-06-2018, 04:32 PM
when I watch golf hey lets follow the guy in last place. Makes sense.

dlphg9
04-06-2018, 04:44 PM

Tiger Woods brings ratings. He's gonna get coverage. Any idiot should be able to understand that, but I guess your the exception.

Garcia Bronco
04-06-2018, 04:48 PM

I don't think it'll be an issue for this weekend it's looking like he's not going to make the cut.

04-06-2018, 04:57 PM
YE Yang strikes again.

04-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Tiger Woods brings ratings. He's gonna get coverage. Any idiot should be able to understand that, but I guess your the exception.Yet he shouldn't get coverage.

Garcia Bronco
04-06-2018, 05:10 PM
Yet he shouldn't get coverage.

If he makes the cut and at this point he will.... If he's not playing well they won't cover him.

04-06-2018, 06:07 PM
If he makes the cut and at this point he will.... If he's not playing well they won't cover him.He'll get coverage if he's playing. You can count on that. Shit, they talk about him when he isn't playing. They seem too think tiger is the end all be all of the sport.

dlphg9
04-06-2018, 06:11 PM
He'll get coverage if he's playing. You can count on that. Shit, they talk about him when he isn't playing. They seem too think tiger is the end all be all of the sport.

Well he sorta is. Not many people usually watch golf, but when Tiger plays all kinds of people watch golf.

GloryDayz
04-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Personally, I hope he misses the cut. Last thing we need is the "tiger watch" when he is nowhere near the leader board.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ukGm72ZLZvYfS/giphy.gif

GloryDayz
04-06-2018, 06:25 PM
The boss flew out this morning for The Masters. His family has had tickets for a LONG time. Lucky bastard!

srvy
04-06-2018, 06:47 PM
Well he sorta is. Not many people usually watch golf, but when Tiger plays all kinds of people watch golf.

Well if you want to watch golf at the bottom of the board be my guest. You know Tiger hasnt been in contention in a long time now right. But you keep being a dumb ass and dont watch these kids now who are damn good and have real competition every week. Something by the way Tiger in his prime never really had to worry about.

Why Not?
04-06-2018, 07:56 PM
I enjoy watching golf, mostly the majors. I've been to PGA events. It'll watch all day Sunday, no matter who is at the top. But the fact is this, for every person who thinks Tiger gets to much coverage or shouldn't be focused on unless he's in contention, there's a hundred people(at least)who wouldn't watch at all if Tiger wasn't involved. I garuntee you, all the executives at CBS are celebrating tonight since Tiger made the cut. That's the way it goes. Tiger moves the needle, period.

Miles
04-06-2018, 08:44 PM
I’ve never really been a fan of Tiger and used to get a bit annoyed when the coverage on a final Sunday would cut to him out of contention. Easy to forget that overkill by the media was all driven by just how great he was. Dude was basically the Michael Jordan of golf for a long stretch. Also got a lot of people into the game and watching tournament golf.

Hamwallet
04-06-2018, 09:28 PM
His media attention was because of his race, let’s face facts. Never before has someone that was his race dominated golf. The media loves that crap. It’s because he is half Asian. If he wasn’t half Asian they would never be so obsessed.

Miles
04-06-2018, 09:41 PM
His media attention was because of his race, let’s face facts. Never before has someone that was his race dominated golf. The media loves that crap. It’s because he is half Asian. If he wasn’t half Asian they would never be so obsessed.

Can’t quite tell if you are trying to be sarcastic.

04-06-2018, 09:58 PM

ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-06-2018, 10:07 PM
ROFL

It certainly didn't hurt his cause.

04-06-2018, 10:09 PM
It certainly didn't hurt his cause.

thats not why I was laughing. I found the post genuinely funny.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-06-2018, 10:16 PM

Ok.

KC_Connection
04-06-2018, 11:26 PM
I’ve never really been a fan of Tiger and used to get a bit annoyed when the coverage on a final Sunday would cut to him out of contention. Easy to forget that overkill by the media was all driven by just how great he was. Dude was basically the Michael Jordan of golf for a long stretch. Also got a lot of people into the game and watching tournament golf.
I’d say he was far more dominant relative to his competition than MJ.

GloryDayz
04-07-2018, 06:04 AM
I’d say he was far more dominant relative to his competition than MJ.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hawkchief
04-07-2018, 08:06 AM

Says the obvious casual golf fan.

displacedinMN
04-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Today will be a great test of what Tiger has left. He starts fairly early. Won't be on tv. But could make a charge to make some money. He won't win unless the rest of the players are killed in a meteor storm. But he is the one (and Speith) that can make a big move.

Hamwallet
04-07-2018, 08:28 AM
I doubt they play much today. I live 2 miles from Augusta National and it’s been raining all morning.

O.city
04-07-2018, 08:32 AM
He needs to go out early and shoot 64 to have a punchers chanfe

crayzkirk
04-07-2018, 10:32 AM
I doubt they play much today. I live 2 miles from Augusta National and it’s been raining all morning.

It never rains on the golf course! Some days, there is a rather heavy dew.

As long as there is no lightning, rain doesn't present much of a problem for these guys. Plenty of towels, dry gloves and a caddie carrying an umbrella.

GoChargers
04-07-2018, 12:07 PM
I’d say he was far more dominant relative to his competition than MJ.

Other than Phil, Vijay Singh and Ernie Els, his competition was a joke. I mean, they were hyping up David Duval and Sergio Garcia as competition for Tiger.

He wouldn't be nearly as dominant if he came up in this current era.

KC_Connection
04-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Other than Phil, Vijay Singh and Ernie Els, his competition was a joke. I mean, they were hyping up David Duval and Sergio Garcia as competition for Tiger.

I guess he'd only be winning tournaments by 5 shots instead of 10 then.

Kman34
04-07-2018, 01:35 PM

:rolleyes:....

Hamwallet
04-07-2018, 03:03 PM

Thanks. That was what I was going for. Let’s not be blind to the fact a half Asian half black man kicked the crap out of the entire field of white dudes in a white dominated sport. I grew up watching Tiger and it was awesome to watch. My dad bought a new set of clubs around 89’ and took his old set, the whole damn thing and hacksaw’d them in half and had grips put on. I was out there with a full bag of real clubs playing when I was 8. It was a blast.

This is my second year living 2 miles away from Augusta National and I really wanted to fly my dad down for the masters. I make pretty good money but a single day ticket is $2,500 with my discount through work. So that’s 5 grand for the both of us for one day. He knows that, and if I spent that much he would knock my ass out as soon as I picked him up from the airport.

O.city
04-07-2018, 06:52 PM
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/982776936475824128?s=21

KCTitus
04-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Golf has been around longer than any of the other major sports in the United States...why is it that he made golf 'relevant'? The game pre dates Tiger. Its curious why he had such an impact on the game and the revenue of the game. Why did he bring so much media coverage to the point it double revenues to the game and the prize purses.

Its an interesting phenomenon...there are great players now that have met or are approaching some of his records, but they dont get the same level of coverage and its interesting to me why.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Golf has been around longer than any of the other major sports in the United States...why is it that he made golf 'relevant'? The game pre dates Tiger. Its curious why he had such an impact on the game and the revenue of the game. Why did he bring so much media coverage to the point it double revenues to the game and the prize purses.

Its an interesting phenomenon...there are great players now that have met or are approaching some of his records, but they dont get the same level of coverage and its interesting to me why.

Woods brings a level of mass-appeal that golf has never had, nor will experience again once he hangs 'em up.

It's a fairly simple equation.

KCTitus
04-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Woods brings a level of mass-appeal that golf has never had, nor will experience again once he hangs 'em up.

It's a fairly simple equation.

But the question is why...Speith matched his best round at Augusta a couple of years ago, but he doesnt 'bring the crowds'...I dare say that there will be some in this younger generation that will match or exceed Tiger. Why dont they bring the mass appeal?

If its a simple equation, then what is it?

O.city
04-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Spieth has already missed more cuts in his career than tiger did

Tiger had a flare for the drama and similar to lebron was dubbed th next thing from a young age and actually lived up to it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-07-2018, 08:06 PM
But the question is why...Speith matched his best round at Augusta a couple of years ago, but he doesnt 'bring the crowds'...I dare say that there will be some in this younger generation that will match or exceed Tiger. Why dont they bring the mass appeal?

The elements:

1) An exceptional golfer.

2) An African-American Asian beating the piss out of ol' "Cracker Ass Whitey" at his own game, and at a consistent level was a HUGE media wet dream that all but guaranteed that Woods was going to be covered like a yogurt raisin 24/7.

3) The drama. As much as they built him up, the media were there to tear him down post-haste, and create a situation whereby Woods would either sink or swim. If he got it back together and made a comeback, the media wins.

KC_Connection
04-07-2018, 08:28 PM

Someone is going to match what Tiger Woods did? In our lifetimes? Maybe you go need to look at what Tiger Woods actually did if you think that.

His level of dominance over that 10+ year period was absolutely absurd.

dlphg9
04-07-2018, 08:46 PM
The guy was going to crush every single golf record, but had that big fallout. Tiger made golf watchable because he was kicking ass and had several really exciting moments.

MahiMike
04-07-2018, 08:50 PM

This. Oh yeah so much this.

RippedmyFlesh
04-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Someone is going to match what Tiger Woods did? In our lifetimes? Maybe you go need to look at what Tiger Woods actually did if you think that.

Remember when bets were Tiger vs the field? And Tiger was the best bet.

otherstar
04-08-2018, 05:48 PM

It was exceptional, but still not at the same level as Jack Nicklaus....and Nicklaus had MUCH tougher competition.

tk13
04-08-2018, 05:52 PM
He was always going to be hyped because of his amateur success, but that first Masters sent him into the stratosphere. Here you have this phenom who comes in and doesn't just compete, he annihilated the field on the biggest stage, and set a bunch of records on the way. Yeah Spieth later matched the record score but he only won by 4 strokes. Tiger came in and demolished the entire field by double digits. Who else has done that?

It'd be like a rookie QB coming in and winning a Super Bowl by 50 points and throwing for 700 yards. The hype would be off the charts.

KC_Connection
04-08-2018, 10:08 PM
It was exceptional, but still not at the same level as Jack Nicklaus....and Nicklaus had MUCH tougher competition.
I don't want to diminish Jack Nicklaus' level of dominance which was similar, but the competition in Nicklaus' era wasn't even close to as good as it was in Tiger's. Nowhere near the same kind of depth/talent pool.

srvy
04-08-2018, 11:05 PM
ROFL Surely you were drunk when you posted this:rolleyes:

srvy
04-08-2018, 11:22 PM
The shortlist of greats of the game Nicklaus played with Gary Player (nine majors), Tom Watson (eight), Arnold Palmer (seven), Lee Trevino (six) and Seve Ballesteros (five).

CoMoChief
04-09-2018, 01:07 AM
It was nice to see Tiger play well the last rd.

When Tiger golfs, the world watches. Plain n simple.

Garcia Bronco
04-09-2018, 05:50 AM
I don't want to diminish Jack Nicklaus' level of dominance which was similar, but the competition in Nicklaus' era wasn't even close to as good as it was in Tiger's. Nowhere near the same kind of depth/talent pool.

what?...okay.

oldman
04-09-2018, 07:29 AM
The shortlist of greats of the game Nicklaus played with Gary Player (nine majors), Tom Watson (eight), Arnold Palmer (seven), Lee Trevino (six) and Seve Ballesteros (five).

Yep, put Woods in with that group and he wouldn't have won so easily. I'm not saying he isn't great, but no one matches Jack.

Kman34
04-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Yep, put Woods in with that group and he wouldn't have won so easily. I'm not saying he isn't great, but no one matches Jack.

It would be interesting to see Tiger and Jack play each other in their prime using the same equipment... either with today’s technology or yesterday’s...

srvy
04-09-2018, 07:45 AM

Yep and I didnt even include Raymond Floyd, Hale Irwin and Johhny Miller trying to show a little Mercy.

srvy
04-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Another thing not mentioned here that needs noted Jack played the prime of his career without the aid of technological advance in clubs and balls. The huge metal woods and graphite drivers and fairway woods were in his twilight years. Yet as a young phenom he was driving 300 yards and hitting mid irons on his second to par 5's. Tiger was the greatist of his generation and and one of the greatest ever but Jack is the GOAT far and away.

ChiTown
04-09-2018, 08:37 AM

JFC, just stop

KC_Connection
04-09-2018, 09:32 AM
what?...okay.
How is this in any way controversial? The sport and its talent pool have evolved immensely since the Nicklaus era. It continues to. Many more countries play the sport and develop elite athletes than they used to in the 60s/70s.

KC_Connection
04-09-2018, 09:37 AM
That’s true but how good was the 20th ranked golfer then? The 40th? The 100th?

That’s where the difference in the eras lies. There are always great golfers in any era, but the standard to even play at this level has risen significantly as more countries/athletes have begun playing the sport.

Garcia Bronco
04-09-2018, 10:32 AM
How is this in any way controversial? The sport and its talent pool have evolved immensely since the Nicklaus era. It continues to. Many more countries play the sport and develop elite athletes than they used to in the 60s/70s.

Tiger in his prime did not ever face the consistent great talent Jack had to face.

Look both guys had incredible careers, but if TW is a 10 then Jack is a 10.2.

fan4ever
04-09-2018, 10:48 AM
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/jack-nicklaus-long-drive-pga-championship-louis-oosthuizen-bubba-watson

I wonder how todays pros would have done with Jack's equipment...340 yard drive with a persimmon head and wound ball...1963

BWillie
04-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Tiger in his prime did not ever face the consistent great talent Jack had to face.

Look both guys had incredible careers, but if TW is a 10 then Jack is a 10.2.

I'd argue that neither of them did. Tiger created a whole new talent pool to golf. He increased popularity by at least 2x. Those kids Tiger brought to golf? Well they are in their prime now.

Tiger doesn't have to beat Mark O'Meara, Fuzzy Zoeller and David Duval anymore. He has to beat Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith, Rory McIlroy, Ricky Fowler, Bubba Watson etc. That is the best talent pool in golf's history probably. It's just math. How many people played golf 60 years ago? How many played golf 30 years ago? How many play now? As the amount of people that play golf increases, the competition gets much more difficult.

Deberg_1990
04-09-2018, 11:04 AM
A lot of these young golfers nowdays are ripped. They look like premier league soccer players. Better athletes than the old pudgy guys from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Tiger brought that ripped conditioning to the game.

Chief_For_Life58
04-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Tiger had no competition. I think if he was in his prime right now he wouldnt win as many tournaments as he did. Or if he was in jacks era I dont think so either. He is easily a top 3 golfer of all time though and I would not argue with someone saying he is the greatest of all time either. Hes also fantastic for golf, on the course, off the course hes a pos but thats a different argument lol

Chief_For_Life58
04-09-2018, 11:23 AM
A lot of these young golfers nowdays are ripped. They look like premier league soccer players. Better athletes than the old pudgy guys from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Tiger brought that ripped conditioning to the game.

I really dont think being in peak shape really matters for golf. Reed probably cant even run a mile or bench press his own weight but hes still piping 340yard drives and hitting 9i's 170 yards. And physical shape doesnt matter at all for chipping or putting. I mean I doubt jordon or rickie can bp their own weight either, or squat

srvy
04-09-2018, 11:27 AM
The fitness has brought a new dimension to the game but its not that important. In the end the players who win consistently can putt and good around the greens plus keep it in the short grass. None of that had anything to do with fitness.

O.city
04-09-2018, 11:31 AM
It's more about core strength and flexibility. Not necessarily big bulky muscles.

srvy
04-09-2018, 11:35 AM
I failed to mention that I think Tiger was the best putter I ever seen. This is why Tiger dominated his generation. He could consistently drop putts under pressure. Drive for show putt for dough as the saying goes. Golf will never change in that aspect if your consistent on or around the green you will win. Sure every now and then a guy is so on with the irons he knocks it stiff through a tournament but that doesnt last gotta putt to be consistent.

BWillie
04-09-2018, 12:01 PM
I really dont think being in peak shape really matters for golf. Reed probably cant even run a mile or bench press his own weight but hes still piping 340yard drives and hitting 9i's 170 yards. And physical shape doesnt matter at all for chipping or putting. I mean I doubt jordon or rickie can bp their own weight either, or squat

I do agree. While being fit helps, it doesn't help as much in golf as it does in any other sport. There are plenty of fat asses around your local muni or country club that are great sticks.

My whole point is, Tiger Woods influenced tons of young kids to start playing the game. Me included. Now all of these kids are 28-36, and in their prime. And there are more people playing golf than ever before. Combine that with the population being larger of the country, clearly there are more talented golfers than ever before.

The USA population in 1962 was 186 million.
It's 325 million today.

World population in 1962 was 3 billion.
World population is 7.6 billion today.

Much more of a talent pool.

otherstar
04-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Tiger doesn't have to beat Mark O'Meara, Fuzzy Zoeller and David Duval anymore. He has to beat Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith, Rory McIlroy, Ricky Fowler, Bubba Watson etc. That is the best talent pool in golf's history probably. It's just math. How many people played golf 60 years ago? How many played golf 30 years ago? How many play now? As the amount of people that play golf increases, the competition gets much more difficult.

This is why Tiger will have trouble competing now. He has competition. In his prime, how many players did Tiger face that had won more than two majors each? On any given weekend, Nicklaus likely had to face at least two or more. BTW, Mark O'Meara, Fuzzy Zoeller, and David Duvall are nowhere near the talent level of guys like Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, or Lee Trevino...if they were, they would have won more majors, or even beat Tiger to win a few, but they did not.

The argument about more people playing increasing the talent pool has some merit....BUT only to explain why Tiger will have a tougher time competing now.

Garcia Bronco
04-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Golf is more fun when Tiger is good. Really wanted him to pull it out today.

Those days are over in the context of the Majors.

It's possible he could win another British (aka The Open), or a Masters.

He has no shot of ever winning another US Open or PGA.

crashcourse
04-10-2018, 10:17 AM
his best shot is a course that doesn't require driver to narrow fairways

he's played what 5 tournaments this year after a 2 year layoff.

already has a second and a 5th

finished 30th or so in the masters

already in the top 100 for the fedex cup with 1/2 the torunaments everybody else has

I wouldn't count him out of anything

crayzkirk
04-10-2018, 11:09 AM
While Tiger still has moments where he looks like the 'old' Tiger, there is no escape from the ravages of time and injury.

It's hard to say how much difference technology has brought however I remember reading something about Adam Scott playing with old equipment and his drives were in the 240 range with that equipment.

I played with the old persimmon woods and non-cavity backed irons. Just for fun, I tried to play with the old set I played with in the 1980s. Very discouraging... almost every iron shot hurt and the woods seemed impossible to hit. So, for the average duffer, the equipment is drastically different now and allows us to ingrain our bad habits more than ever. For the tour player, I'm not sure that cavity backed irons and graphite shafts are what they play.

The old clubs were much heavier in the head than the new ones, too.

07-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Choke Woods at it again. Ties for the lead (when wind conditions are picking up for the field behind him) and then crumbles. Misses a birdie putt on 15, and then an easy par putt on 16. Bogey-Bogey-Bogey finish ahead.

07-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Misses another 50/50 putt and then yanks his 18th tee shot an inch away from out of bounds . Headcase

Why Not?
07-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Misses another 50/50 putt and then yanks his 18th tee shot an inch away from out of bounds . Headcase

Got to admit, it’s hard to argue with you on this one. We’ll see if he can save par and give himself a shot tomorrow. Bogey or worse and the leaderboard ahead of him starts to get real thick

Deberg_1990
07-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Before every tournament ESPN and all sports talk: "Tiger is back!!"

ROFL

LoneWolf
07-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Choke Woods at it again. Ties for the lead (when wind conditions are picking up for the field behind him) and then crumbles. Misses a birdie putt on 15, and then an easy par putt on 16. Bogey-Bogey-Bogey finish ahead.

Shoots a five under 66 with one bogey the entire round.

Rudy: “Choke Woods at it again.”

Is there any subject/conversation that you’re not a complete dumbfuck in?

Chief Northman
07-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Why are we giving a fuck about Tiger again?

LoneWolf
07-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Why are we giving a fuck about Tiger again?

Because he still has the potential to be one of the top golfers in the world and he appears to be healthy again. :shrug:

GloryDayz
07-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Why are we giving a fuck about Tiger again?Because he's fucking awesome.

stevieray
07-21-2018, 12:39 PM
Because he's ****ing awesome.

He'll never be the same.

Ever.

dlphg9
07-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Because he still has the potential to be one of the top golfers in the world and he appears to be healthy again. :shrug:

It's amazing how dumb people can be about this. Tiger is the only thing golf has going for it and people want to ask why Tiger is so important.

BWillie
07-21-2018, 01:49 PM
I dont understand why people like Tiger Woods so much. Hes an asshole. Hes an adulterer. And he shoves kids out of the way without any dialogue who are trying to get an autograph.

My guys are Speith, Fowler, Rory and Jason Day

stevieray
07-21-2018, 01:51 PM
It's amazing how dumb people can be about this. Tiger is the only thing golf has going for it and people want to ask why Tiger is so important.

past tense.

time marches on.

GloryDayz
07-21-2018, 04:00 PM
He'll never be the same.

Ever.

No he won't. But I really don't care, the man is/was a class act and that makes me interested in knowing how he's doing. Like Phil...

banecat
07-21-2018, 04:03 PM
No he won't. But I really don't care, the man is/was a class act and that makes me interested in knowing how he's doing. Like Phil...

Not really. He was pretending to be something that he wasn't because he thought that was what he was supposed to do. But he gets credit for that. Now we know who he really was. And now we're all jealous of all of the sweet ass he was bangin' when he wasn't gambling. Because hypercompetitive people can't shut it down

KCTitus
07-21-2018, 04:10 PM

His relevance was basically a decade...1997-2008...The game has moved on, and quite frankly the competition is better. Tiger was the most dominant golfer in the world during his 'era', and it wasnt even close...there may have as well not been another golfer on the course during a telecast and his fans became the equivalent of Bronco fans - complete dbags. It bascially ruined my ability to watch the tour.

There never seems to be any middle ground with Tiger, either the media/fans are slobbering his nut sack or one cannot stand the guy. IDGAF really, I just hate the PDA display of the media. I enjoy watching golf not hearing Notah Begay slobber the guy.

Hoopsdoc
07-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Not really. He was pretending to be something that he wasn't because he thought that was what he was supposed to do. But he gets credit for that. Now we know who he really was. And now we're all jealous of all of the sweet ass he was bangin' when he wasn't gambling. Because hypercompetitive people can't shut it down

Ron White does a funny bit about Tiger. Everyone is always bagging on Tiger for cheating on his wife with like 18 different women. But he never gets credit for the 82,000 he probably turned down.

banecat
07-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Ron White does a funny bit about Tiger. Everyone is always bagging on Tiger for cheating on his wife with like 18 different women. But he never gets credit for the 82,000 he probably turned down.

I'm looking that one up. Only in our world with such low expectations should he get credit for that

MahiMike
07-21-2018, 05:10 PM
I can't stand the guy but the media adores him. If you like watching golf like me, you simply have to put up with it. I'll cheer for a dozen other guys before him.

kjwood75nro
07-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Ron White does a funny bit about Tiger. Everyone is always bagging on Tiger for cheating on his wife with like 18 different women. But he never gets credit for the 82,000 he probably turned down.Bill Burr as well.

https://youtu.be/x0gaYyNk7QA

GloryDayz
07-21-2018, 09:53 PM
Not really. He was pretending to be something that he wasn't because he thought that was what he was supposed to do. But he gets credit for that. Now we know who he really was. And now we're all jealous of all of the sweet ass he was bangin' when he wasn't gambling. Because hypercompetitive people can't shut it downI think most successful pro athletes pull amazing tail. But Tiger is/was a God.

banecat
07-21-2018, 10:23 PM
I think most successful pro athletes pull amazing tail. But Tiger is/was a God.

Yes. He probably rivaled Jordan, and Beckham when it came to ass

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-21-2018, 10:23 PM
. But I really don't care, the man is/was a class act.

Are you ever right about anything?

GloryDayz
07-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Are you ever right about anything?Of course. I'm right about this too. Why would you disagree?

:popcorn:

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-21-2018, 10:55 PM
I don't know how cheating on your wife with over 20 women, being notoriously cheap and unappreciative of people providing services for you, and surly with those that provide you an avenue for fame qualifies you as a class act. Then again, I'm not an idiot.

GloryDayz
07-22-2018, 04:45 AM
I don't know how cheating on your wife with over 20 women, being notoriously cheap and unappreciative of people providing services for you, and surly with those that provide you an avenue for fame qualifies you as a class act. Then again, I'm not an idiot.So unless he's out there squandering his wealth like he needs to buy friends he's not a great champion? LOL!

As for him getting laid, like you, I don't actually know his home life, but unlike you, I'm not going to judge as if I do. Are you his violent ex-wife's BFF or something? But text her, when she's not in church (we all know how much of a devoted catholic she is... Almost a nun!) please and ask her if she anger management classes worked.

07-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Didn't hold the lead for very long, did he? Massive choker. YE Yang still in his head.

07-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Love a good Spieth choke, but also bummed there was zero 18th hole drama.

Would have been nice to see Tiger make that last putt to get a tie for 2nd or 3rd, but still a top 10. How far will he jump in the rankings? I don't understand the system.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-22-2018, 11:56 AM
Love a good Spieth choke, but also bummed there was zero 18th hole drama.

Would have been nice to see Tiger make that last putt to get a tie for 2nd or 3rd, but still a top 10. How far will he jump in the rankings? I don't understand the system.

No one really understands the rankings, but it's a two-year rolling system where you get X points for certain finishes divided by your starts to get an average. Points possible are awarded by how many top players are in a field. Beyond that, it gets pretty far in the weeds. He's 71 now. This should get him around 50, perhaps?

KC_Connection
07-22-2018, 12:25 PM
He's #51 after today apparently, just missing the cut for the WGC event in a few weeks. For Tiger, his ranking really only matters for those and the US Open (which I believe he now does not have eligibility for anymore). If he stays healthy, though, it's only a matter of time.

KC_Connection
07-22-2018, 12:51 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">World ranking just released. Tiger is, indeed, 50th, meaning he qualifies for the WGC: Bridgestone Invitational. <a href="https://t.co/zygIoUEVWV">pic.twitter.com/zygIoUEVWV</a></p>&mdash; Jay Coffin (@JayCoffinGC) <a href="https://twitter.com/JayCoffinGC/status/1021102208820154368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 22, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Appears previous Twitter source was wrong, he is #50 (unless this one is also wrong).

08-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Why do I fall for it every time?!

Monumental choke off the tee on 17

GloryDayz
08-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Lighten up, he's trying...

Setsuna
08-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Hamas just can't get over it ROFL ROFL ROFL What a rewarding life you must have as the second coming of Jesus.

Kman34
08-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Why do I fall for it every time?!

Monumental choke off the tee on 17

Dude... he shot a fucking 64 ....he's in 2nd and only losing to a young freak of nature ..Brookes...Who is on fire hitting the driver...

CaliforniaChief
08-12-2018, 06:43 PM
That was not a choke by Tiger. That was a win by Koepka. He was just better.

RippedmyFlesh
08-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Agree you shot tied for best 4th round score you didn't choke. A 64 in a major isn't choking.

Prison Bitch
08-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Being there two days, it's obv how much he carries the sport. I love golf and watch it religiously but casual fans don't and his presence this week made the tourney. All the players know it. The game has always yielded to a new personality but it hasn't since he faded. DJ, Koepka, Rory, Spieth, Thomas - no personalities, no intrigue.

He was the energy of that entire place. I'd hear monster roars from across the course and every time, you could tell it was him if it was louder than shit.

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Dude has ice in his veins. Great competitor. I think he will end up being the next superstar of golf. And winning 2 big majors this year that only 5 have done in the history of golf is definitely a good start.

Kyle DeLexus
08-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Dude has ice in his veins. Great competitor. I think he will end up being the next superstar of golf. And winning 2 big majors this year that only 5 have done in the history of golf is definitely a good start.

When he tapped in his final putt instead of marking...he seems to only care about winning and that's about it.

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 09:41 PM
When he tapped in his final putt instead of marking...he seems to only care about winning and that's about it.

Was this seen as a negative or a positive for you?

Prison Bitch
08-12-2018, 09:52 PM
JD Bunkis
JD Bunkis
@JDBunkis

We spent a decade debating whether golf needed Tiger Woods...

What a waste of time that was.
5:49 PM · Aug 12, 2018

Kyle DeLexus
08-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Was this seen as a negative or a positive for you?

Positive as a golfer. Negative as a personality. I personally had no problem with it but I'm sure the media (besides just Faldo) hate it.

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 09:58 PM
Being there two days, it's obv how much he carries the sport. I love golf and watch it religiously but casual fans don't and his presence this week made the tourney. All the players know it. The game has always yielded to a new personality but it hasn't since he faded. DJ, Koepka, Rory, Spieth, Thomas - no personalities, no intrigue.

He was the energy of that entire place. I'd hear monster roars from across the course and every time, you could tell it was him if it was louder than shit.

Don't have to have a personality IF you win on a regular basis like Tiger did at one point in his career. And it helped immensely that he was the first black golfer who dominated and did this for a time alleviating some of the subconscious "white guilt" in a white world dominated sport that was severely bigoted not so long ago and why everybody roots for Tiger still.

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Positive as a golfer. Negative as a personality. I personally had no problem with it but I'm sure the media (besides just Faldo) hate it.

I agree. Koepka is a very humble guy who does not want to get caught up in all the hoopla pomp and circumstance of golf you can tell. He is laser focused. Show up win, sign the card, collect the trophy and on to the next tournament. I love it !!

Prison Bitch
08-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Even Michael Phelps was mesmerized

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkbLhdyX4AAUqjs?format=jpg

Chiefshrink
08-12-2018, 10:15 PM

Of course he remembers and greatness recognizes greatness and wants so bad for Tiger to return to his dominating days and especially the sports media because well you know........:shrug:

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-12-2018, 10:35 PM
JD Bunkis
JD Bunkis
@JDBunkis

We spent a decade debating whether golf needed Tiger Woods...

What a waste of time that was.
5:49 PM · Aug 12, 2018

No, we didn't. Everyone knew and knows what the ratings were when he was/wasn't around. The only thing people debated was whether Tiger could catch Jack after his personal failures and numerous injuries derailed his career.

GloryDayz
08-13-2018, 05:58 AM

While he's great and all, and I think he's already a superstar for the wins, I think it will interesting to see how long he can keep it up. His body type (very muscular) means he can put a lot more strain on the joints and tendons, let's hope, for his own sake, that he keep it all under control and doesn't hurt himself. It's a long season, let's hope he plays within his body's limits.

Prison Bitch
08-13-2018, 06:57 AM
No, we didn't. Everyone knew and knows what the ratings were when he was/wasn't around. The only thing people debated was whether Tiger could catch Jack after his personal failures and numerous injuries derailed his career.

Since I watch golf and you don't, I'll tell you every broadcast tries to pump up the "new generation" of golfers and golf channel does the same endlessly.

Rausch
08-13-2018, 07:24 AM
Since I watch golf and you don't, I'll tell you every broadcast tries to pump up the "new generation" of golfers and golf channel does the same endlessly.

I don't follow golf.

I do listen to ESPN radio going to and from work as well as smoke breaks and all they do is blow Tiger.

I don't watch but at this point I do hope he goes out with some success. Win a major, smile for the crowd, ride off into the sunset...

RippedmyFlesh
08-13-2018, 09:34 AM

You were there and didn't follow Tiger who were you watching?

Rausch
08-13-2018, 09:39 AM

That fat white guy that went to my high school and didn't make the cut.

You know, that one that spent $12g's on hookers and blow at the Lake of the Ozarks...:)

Jerm
08-13-2018, 09:48 AM

I think a lot of it for me at least is that professional golf is all very similar nowadays and pretty bleh...

In Tiger's heyday he bombed it past everyone, was clutch as hell, and pulled off shots that simply no one else could...it was intriguing to watch and it was really interesting trying to see other players try to keep up and figure out ways to beat him.

Today EVERYONE bombs it, there isn't much strategy, and it's just a matter of who can make putts...

Shot making and course difficulty has been rendered almost obsolete....I mean honestly a lot of the time, it's boring to watch.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 01:46 PM

I guess all those comments I have in the golf threads during tournaments must be from me not watching golf. Moreover, "pumping up the new generation of golfers," was done precisely because everyone knew that golf needed Tiger Woods for ratings and that something was missing in his stead, and you can't talk endlessly about someone who isn't playing. Thanks for proving my point, though.

otherstar
08-13-2018, 01:49 PM

You know, that one that spent $12g's on hookers and blow at the Lake of the Ozarks...:)

John Daly? :D

Prison Bitch
08-13-2018, 03:57 PM
Tiger was +3 after his first two holes Thur.

There's your final margin.

Prison Bitch
08-13-2018, 03:57 PM

Mickelson?

srvy
08-13-2018, 04:41 PM
I think a lot of it for me at least is that professional golf is all very similar nowadays and pretty bleh...

In Tiger's heyday he bombed it past everyone, was clutch as hell, and pulled off shots that simply no one else could...it was intriguing to watch and it was really interesting trying to see other players try to keep up and figure out ways to beat him.

Today EVERYONE bombs it, there isn't much strategy, and it's just a matter of who can make putts...

Shot making and course difficulty has been rendered almost obsolete....I mean honestly a lot of the time, it's boring to watch.

Jack Nicklaus was bombing 300 yard drives in his prime with persimmon wood heads steel shafts and very low tech balls considering today. Jack may have hit it 380 with todays tech in his prime.

BWillie
08-13-2018, 04:45 PM
When I played in college, I saw D2 golfers who hit their driver straighter and better than Tiger is now. He's below average on tour hitting his driver and off the tee. Probably should almost hit his stringer every time off the tee.

BWillie
08-13-2018, 04:47 PM
Jack Nicklaus was bombing 300 yard drives in his prime with persimmon wood heads steel shafts and very low tech balls considering today. Jack may have hit it 380 with todays tech in his prime.

https://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/golf-buzz/how-far-would-golfs-legends-drive-ball-using-modern-equipment

BWillie
08-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Who was it?

I played in an AJGA event with Kevin Na circa 2001 at Ironhorse in Leawood. He seemed like a nice guy. I was definitely one of the worst kids in that event and he put up with me quite well. He got like 2nd or 3rd I think while I beat like 10 people in the field. ROFL

I used to caddy for the Nike & Buy.com tour when they came to Dakota Dunes. My buddy caddied for Jason Gore in a Nike Tour event, said the guy was one of the coolest dudes ever. I usually got random chodes, Steve Woods (no relation to Tiger) was one I had one year. Don't even remember the other ones. Always the nicest dudes ever though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 05:03 PM
When I played in college, I saw D2 golfers who hit their driver straighter and better than Tiger is now. He's below average on tour hitting his driver and off the tee. Probably should almost hit his stringer every time off the tee.

Then he'd be hitting mid to long irons into almost every long par 4. He's better off rolling the dice off the tee.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 05:31 PM
FWIW, he is 127th in strokes gained off the tee, losing an average of 0.055 shots per round to the field.

Ken Duke is first on tour in driving accuracy, hitting almost 78 percent of his fairways. He is 164th in strokes gained off the tee, losing -0.239 strokes per round to the field. His driving average is 271 yards.

So, if Tiger can hit his stinger 270 yards on average (he can't) and hit 80 percent of the fairways doing so, he'll actually end up losing strokes to the field.

Prison Bitch
08-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Nobody would be blowing it 40 past Koepka

That's not humanly possible

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Nobody would be blowing it 40 past Koepka

That's not humanly possible

Oh, there are plenty of long drive guys that can hit it 75 yards past Koepka. The winning drive at Remax last year was 435.

BWillie
08-13-2018, 05:43 PM
FWIW, he is 127th in strokes gained off the tee, losing an average of 0.055 shots per round to the field.

Ken Duke is first on tour in driving accuracy, hitting almost 78 percent of his fairways. He is 164th in strokes gained off the tee, losing -0.239 strokes per round to the field. His driving average is 271 yards.

So, if Tiger can hit his stinger 270 yards on average (he can't) and hit 80 percent of the fairways doing so, he'll actually end up losing strokes to the field.

I'm for really large fairways, but with really gnarly rough. Punish if you miss, but give you the opportunity to bomb it if you can.

Crazy to think you ARE NOT better off if you hit 271 yards, yet hit 80% of fairways, compared to 35 yards further and 50% of the fairways. I know that plays better at muni courses without punishing rough or alot of OB, but on these difficult courses that surprises me. I would think that driving accuracy would be most helpful unless you are just a Corey Pavin hitter. When I think back to my best rounds, those are the ones I'm always in the fairway, not making big numbers and capitalizing when I can.

Wouldn't it be dependent on the course? I know "strokes gained" is a relatively new stat, but all golf courses and their set up are different (LDO), so wonder how accurate that currently is. Kind of like how in MLB they have park adjusted stats, does it account for that?

BWillie
08-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Oh, there are plenty of long drive guys that can hit it 75 yards past Koepka. The winning drive at Remax last year was 435.

Yeah, but they typically put those guys on super elevated tees, downwind, hard landing areas, in really humid environments and/or high altitudes to maximize that. But yea, those guys can smash it. I bet they dial it down when they are trying to score on real golf courses. Makes you wonder how far some of the Tour guys can hit it, if they have no regard to control.

Kyle DeLexus
08-13-2018, 05:48 PM

I don't think he was meaning people can't hit it that far, but more no one with tour driving accuracy would be hitting it that far. Even a 2 time long drive champion like Jamie Sadlowski averages with the current longest hitters on the PGA Tour since he turned pro.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 05:52 PM
I'm for really large fairways, but with really gnarly rough. Punish if you miss, but give you the opportunity to bomb it if you can.

Crazy to think you ARE NOT better off if you hit 271 yards, yet hit 80% of fairways, compared to 35 yards further and 50% of the fairways. I know that plays better at muni courses without punishing rough or alot of OB, but on these difficult courses that surprises me. I would think that driving accuracy would be most helpful unless you are just a Corey Pavin hitter. When I think back to my best rounds, those are the ones I'm always in the fairway, not making big numbers and capitalizing when I can.

Wouldn't it be dependent on the course? I know "strokes gained" is a relatively new stat, but all golf courses and their set up are different (LDO), so wonder how accurate that currently is. Kind of like how in MLB they have park adjusted stats, does it account for that?

Here is how the tour explains it, using Rickie Fowler's tee shot as an example.

Fowler hit his tee shot 330 yards on the 446-yard, par-4 before sticking his 116-yard approach shot 16 feet, 11 inches from the hole.

Tee shot: TPC Sawgrass' 18th hole is a 446-yard, par-4. The PGA TOUR's scoring average, or baseline, on a par-4 of that length is 4.100. Fowler hit his tee shot on No. 18 in the fairway, 116 yards from the hole. The TOUR scoring average from the fairway, 116 yards from the hole, is 2.825. He gained 0.275 strokes on his tee shot. Here's how:

Baseline for tee - Baseline for second shot - 1 = strokes gained: off-the-tee
4.100 - 2.825 = 1.275 - 1 = +0.275

One is subtracted from the difference between the two baselines to account for the shot that Fowler hit.

They measure the average to make from every distance in one inch increments from every type of lie. A player takes, on average, 3 shots to get down from 100 yards out in the rough compared to 3 shots on average from 170 in the fairway.

If you think about it from a risk reward perspective, hitting the ball that much farther doesn't really hurt you that much in the rough (of course, some rough *is* more penal than others), but you gain significant benefits if you hit it long in the fairway.

BWillie
08-13-2018, 05:56 PM
It's crazy, that in just 15-20 years the average PGA Tour drive has increased 20-25 yards.

I guess I need to buy new clubs? They had Pro V's back in 2002 and $500 drivers back then too. The USGA places a certain limit on clubs to even be legal, I figured back around 2000 that clubs & balls were maxing out at their technological limits.

What is the culprit for the increase in distance over the last 15-20 years?

Kyle DeLexus
08-13-2018, 05:59 PM
It's crazy, that in just 15-20 years the average PGA Tour drive has increased 20-25 yards.

I guess I need to buy new clubs? They had Pro V's back in 2002 and $500 drivers back then too. The USGA places a certain limit on clubs to even be legal, I figured back around 2000 that clubs & balls were maxing out at their technological limits.

What is the culprit for the increase in distance over the last 15-20 years?

While equipment has helped some in 15-20 years, I think a big part of it is Trackman (and other launch monitors.) Players now know the optimal numbers needed to hit a maximum efficiency drive and they can tweak their equipment and swing to get that desired result.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Yeah, but they typically put those guys on super elevated tees, downwind, in really humid environments and/or high altitudes to maximize that. But yea, those guys can smash it. I bet they dial it down when they are trying to score on real golf courses. Makes you wonder how far some of the Tour guys can hit it, if they have no regard to control.

If you turn on the Golf Channel right now there are long drive guys on. They are averaging mid 140s to 150 in swing speed. Ryan Winther has gotten as high as 167 mph. The fastest single measured swing on tour is right at 130. Koepka topped out at 126. He might be able to get up to 135 swinging all out with a longer shaft.

Factoring in 2.5 yard average for each mph of clubhead speed you're still looking at a difference of 40-80 yards.

GloryDayz
08-13-2018, 07:27 PM

I get that hitting the fairway is everybody's goal (duh), but how do they calculate "strokes gained off the tee", drive distance and accuracy turning a par-5 into a par-4, a par-4 into a par-3, so those would be "1 stroke gained"?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 07:28 PM
I get that hitting the fairway is everybody's goal (duh), but how do they calculate "strokes gained off the tee", drive distance and accuracy turning a par-5 into a par-4, a par-4 into a par-3, so those would be "1 stroke gained"?

It's literally explained in significant detail five posts down from the one you quoted.

GloryDayz
08-13-2018, 07:32 PM
Here is how the tour explains it, using Rickie Fowler's tee shot as an example.

Fowler hit his tee shot 330 yards on the 446-yard, par-4 before sticking his 116-yard approach shot 16 feet, 11 inches from the hole.

Tee shot: TPC Sawgrass' 18th hole is a 446-yard, par-4. The PGA TOUR's scoring average, or baseline, on a par-4 of that length is 4.100. Fowler hit his tee shot on No. 18 in the fairway, 116 yards from the hole. The TOUR scoring average from the fairway, 116 yards from the hole, is 2.825. He gained 0.275 strokes on his tee shot. Here's how:

Baseline for tee - Baseline for second shot - 1 = strokes gained: off-the-tee
4.100 - 2.825 = 1.275 - 1 = +0.275

One is subtracted from the difference between the two baselines to account for the shot that Fowler hit.

They measure the average to make from every distance in one inch increments from every type of lie. A player takes, on average, 3 shots to get down from 100 yards out in the rough compared to 3 shots on average from 170 in the fairway.

If you think about it from a risk reward perspective, hitting the ball that much farther doesn't really hurt you that much in the rough (of course, some rough *is* more penal than others), but you gain significant benefits if you hit it long in the fairway.

NM, I found it in post 215 of this thread.

RedRaider56
08-13-2018, 07:45 PM
While equipment has helped some in 15-20 years, I think a big part of it is Trackman (and other launch monitors.) Players now know the optimal numbers needed to hit a maximum efficiency drive and they can tweak their equipment and swing to get that desired result.

The other factor is that these guys have turned into workout monsters. Look at Tiger, McIlroy, Koepke etc. These guys are jacked

NJChiefsFan
08-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Nanz brought up a prophetic quote from Gary Player about how eventually guys who could play football would choose golf, and once they did, would change the game forever with 400 yard drives ect.

Very prophetic although I can't find the actual quote. As for Tiger, never rooted for him when he was "Tiger". Now, with the comeback story, it would be cool to see him win. He has the game for it again. The issue now is that instead of only having to out-duel 1 or 2 guys and intimidate the rest, he has like 20. There are so many skilled players now that aren't going to back down. Or even if a few do, the numbers game will say that when Tiger is fighting 5 top 20 players on Sunday, he is going to have to really, really earn it.

How many times in the past would a 64 from Tiger have won it. Now it just got him within 2. Kind of crazy.

otherstar
08-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Nanz brought up a prophetic quote from Gary Player about how eventually guys who could play football would choose golf, and once they did, would change the game forever with 400 yard drives ect.

Very prophetic although I can't find the actual quote. As for Tiger, never rooted for him when he was "Tiger". Now, with the comeback story, it would be cool to see him win. He has the game for it again. The issue now is that instead of only having to out-duel 1 or 2 guys and intimidate the rest, he has like 20. There are so many skilled players now that aren't going to back down. Or even if a few do, the numbers game will say that when Tiger is fighting 5 top 20 players on Sunday, he is going to have to really, really earn it.

How many times in the past would a 64 from Tiger have won it. Now it just got him within 2. Kind of crazy.

Now, Tiger has to try to win with competition much like Nicklaus had to do. Nicklaus competed against Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Billy Casper, and Tom Watson (to name the best).

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-13-2018, 08:44 PM
The difference isn't the top of the fields. When Tiger was dominant, Singh, Mickelson, and Els were all winning their share of majors. Phil has the second most top threes in history, trailing only Jack.

The real difference is that the average tour pro is significantly better than the average pro was in 2000. The difficulty in winning majors now comes from the depth in the middle, not at the top.

I think what you're going to find in this modern era is that guys will get hot for about 18-24 months, and that will be the period where they win almost all of their majors. You'll end up with a lot of guys winning 2-3 majors, but maybe only one player in a generation winning more than five, which is how it was between Jack and Tiger.

Prison Bitch
08-14-2018, 07:09 AM
So Tiger loses 1 stroke every 5 tournaments from his driver?

scho63
08-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Now, Tiger has to try to win with competition much like Nicklaus had to do. Nicklaus competed against Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Billy Casper, and Tom Watson (to name the best).

Don't forget Johnny Miller......

Jerm
08-14-2018, 08:48 AM
I think what you're going to find in this modern era is that guys will get hot for about 18-24 months, and that will be the period where they win almost all of their majors. You'll end up with a lot of guys winning 2-3 majors, but maybe only one player in a generation winning more than five, which is how it was between Jack and Tiger.

Rory is a perfect example...he went on that run and everyone thought holy shit, this guy is gonna blow by Jack and Tiger and now he can't sniff a major.

O.city
08-14-2018, 08:49 AM
I think it's the lifestyle and just life that happens.

These guys win and then get comfortable and it's easy to lay off it a little. That was always the difference with Tiger and Jack and MJ etc. They didn't really care about all the other stuff, just winning.

NJChiefsFan
08-14-2018, 08:53 AM
The difference isn't the top of the fields. When Tiger was dominant, Singh, Mickelson, and Els were all winning their share of majors. Phil has the second most top threes in history, trailing only Jack.

The real difference is that the average tour pro is significantly better than the average pro was in 2000. The difficulty in winning majors now comes from the depth in the middle, not at the top.

While you make a good point about the average player being better, I'd still feel pretty confident that the top 20 today is a lot more skilled, mentally strong, and ready to win than the top 20 in the early 2000's.

NJChiefsFan
08-14-2018, 08:56 AM
WGR 2000
http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2000/owgr36f2000.pdf

WGR 2018
http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2018/owgr30f2018.pdf

IMHO today's top 20 is much stronger. Another thing hard to rank but I'd say today's top 20 also has a mental strength much of the top 20 back then didn't have. I'm not saying 2000's Tiger wouldn't be dominate. I just think the talent makes it a harder road.

I do also agree with you Hamas that short spurts might be what we see.

Prison Bitch
08-14-2018, 09:19 AM
We have three guys with 3 majors already in their 20s.

They will get more. 5 majors for them would equal Phil's entire career.

So we see three Phils playing right now. I don't get the point myself.

RockChalk
08-14-2018, 09:34 AM

He was laser-focused in the High Limit room of Lumiere on Saturday night as well.

RockChalk
08-14-2018, 09:45 AM

There were plenty of guys to follow, especially Saturday as they went off in threesomes. We followed Fowler, Johnson and Schwartzel for a bit, then jumped over to Woodland, Koepka and Kisner. Thomas, Perez and Scott was another group of great golfers to follow.

At the beginning of the day, we also just sort of slowly made our way through Holes 1-3, then got on the ropes next to the box on Hole 4 and watched all the groups come through.

Tiger is almost impossible to follow closely, so if you want to see him up close, you pretty much have to pick a hole a few ahead of his group and then wait for him to come through. 75% of the fans out there follow him and run from hole to hole like a bunch of morons. Super annoying if you appreciate golf (and not just Tiger) like I do and enjoy following a variety of players.

Side note - Patrick Cantlay is just flat out painful to watch. He stands over his ball about 20 seconds on avg before hitting (much like Na used to and sometimes still does). We timed him on 4 teebox and he took 27 seconds to pull the trigger after address, include 1 false start. Molinari's caddie gave us an eye-roll in the midst of it. The complete opposite of that is Pat Perez. He puts the ball on the tee, goes right into address and swings immediately. No BS with him.

RockChalk
08-14-2018, 09:47 AM

100%

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2018, 09:51 AM
We have three guys with 3 majors already in their 20s.

They will get more. 5 majors for them would equal Phil's entire career.

So we see three Phils playing right now. I don't get the point myself.

Five majors, 23 top 3 finishes in majors overall, and 43 wins on tour. If he had any luck, he'd have 8-10 majors. You don't get the point because you don't understand the concept being discussed. When you're on a golf course you can't affect the breaks that other people get or how well they are playing, despite what people what to say about Tiger's intimidation factor.

Leaving the US Open completely out of it, he beat every other player in the Open by eleven shots, a Tiger-esque mauling. It just so happened that Stenson had the greatest week of his life at the same time. He shot the lowest aggregate score in major history in the 2001 PGA, only to be bettered by David Toms in the same tournament (and go watch Toms' hole-in-one on Saturday, the ball is going off the green if it doesn't hit the pin). Some people are just unlucky in small sample sizes. Some people get handed multiple majors (Ernie Els), and some people have them snatched away in painful fashion by flukes (Norman, Mickelson). Phil deserves his own share of the blame for his struggles with short putts and his course management late in US Opens, but that aside, he's played well enough to win twice the number of majors he's had with even marginal luck.

Regarding Tiger, If he was so much more intimidating, he would have been able to chase people down.

There may a few guys that get to five, but there won't be three guys that equal Phil's accomplishments, even if they get to the raw number of majors.

Only a moron would say that Andy North's career equaled Greg Norman's because they won the same amount of majors, and only a moron would say that winning five majors alone would get any of those guys to Phil.

Prison Bitch
08-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Drivel, pure drivel. We are discussing active guys here. Players who will win more. An Andy North-Norman comp doesn't fit.

But let's discuss that: you arguing Shark's failures in Majors don't tarnish his legacy at all? Total bunk. In fact, that's what he's remembered for if anything. Does anyone remember his Opens? Now.....does anyone remember the 96 Masters? When your failure defines your career yes it matters.

My fave athlete in all sports is Serge. He's won 10c on Tour, 20x Worldwide, Ryder Beast. But damn if his failures don't define most of his legacy. Being so close in Majors doesn't substitute for winning them bro. Admit it. (Plus Serge caught several breaks to win the one he did, just as Phil caught them in 2013, 2006 Masters, etc. )

We tend to remember the bad breaks without considering the good ones. How often have you played golf and moaned about bad luck, but not said "Wow am I getting lucky today"

Golfers like Jim Furyk don't belong anywhere near the Hall, with only 1 Major. You're basically arguing "body of work" and "luck" is enoug, but no sports works that way. Big moments define ALL athletes - unless you love Alex Smith's body of work more than Flacco's.

NJChiefsFan
08-14-2018, 12:26 PM
There were plenty of guys to follow, especially Saturday as they went off in threesomes. We followed Fowler, Johnson and Schwartzel for a bit, then jumped over to Woodland, Koepka and Kisner. Thomas, Perez and Scott was another group of great golfers to follow.

At the beginning of the day, we also just sort of slowly made our way through Holes 1-3, then got on the ropes next to the box on Hole 4 and watched all the groups come through.

Tiger is almost impossible to follow closely, so if you want to see him up close, you pretty much have to pick a hole a few ahead of his group and then wait for him to come through. 75% of the fans out there follow him and run from hole to hole like a bunch of morons. Super annoying if you appreciate golf (and not just Tiger) like I do and enjoy following a variety of players.

Side note - Patrick Cantlay is just flat out painful to watch. He stands over his ball about 20 seconds on avg before hitting (much like Na used to and sometimes still does). We timed him on 4 teebox and he took 27 seconds to pull the trigger after address, include 1 false start. Molinari's caddie gave us an eye-roll in the midst of it. The complete opposite of that is Pat Perez. He puts the ball on the tee, goes right into address and swings immediately. No BS with him.

Pat is trying to get to the bar as quick as possible. Joking aside I enjoy watching him and remember his brother being on Big Break Golf on Golf Channel. He is just so damn hard on himself.

On TV I have a hard time watching Kisner and recently Kyle Stanley.

Watching golf live does make you realize just how much of an impact slow play can have on the other golfer(s).

Prison Bitch
08-14-2018, 01:00 PM
I witnessed Cantlay pull that same shit on hole 2. Wiggled 20 seconds for a 140 pitch shot. It was infuriating

Also, he did that in the 15th tee Fri. Then sliced it badly into the woods. We all smiled around the tee box.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Drivel, pure drivel. We are discussing active guys here. Players who will win more. An Andy North-Norman comp doesn't fit.

But let's discuss that: you arguing Shark's failures in Majors don't tarnish his legacy at all? Total bunk. In fact, that's what he's remembered for if anything. Does anyone remember his Opens? Now.....does anyone remember the 96 Masters? When your failure defines your career yes it matters.

My fave athlete in all sports is Serge. He's won 10c on Tour, 20x Worldwide, Ryder Beast. But damn if his failures don't define most of his legacy. Being so close in Majors doesn't substitute for winning them bro. Admit it. (Plus Serge caught several breaks to win the one he did, just as Phil caught them in 2013, 2006 Masters, etc. )

We tend to remember the bad breaks without considering the good ones. How often have you played golf and moaned about bad luck, but not said "Wow am I getting lucky today"

Golfers like Jim Furyk don't belong anywhere near the Hall, with only 1 Major. You're basically arguing "body of work" and "luck" is enoug, but no sports works that way. Big moments define ALL athletes - unless you love Alex Smith's body of work more than Flacco's.

It's clear that you didn't even pay attention to the post you replied to. You said that there are three active guys who are going to have Phil's career because they could win five majors, which is completely ignorant because it ignores how those majors happened and the other tournaments he won. Moreover, if those guys will have Phil's career with five majors, then by your own logic Norman's career was no better than Andy North's, since they won the same number of majors. Of course body of work matters. Of course luck should be factored in when analyzing someone's career. That's why people don't hold Bob Tway as highly as Davis Love despite both being major champions once over. I find it ironic that when not being banned from baseball threads you like to post sabermetric stats, yet ignore one of the fundamental tenets of analytics--that small sample sizes are highly variable due to random chance. It illustrates that you don't even understand the arguments you're making. At best, you're a sophist.

I suggest that you study up on the history of the game and learn how to craft a better argument. Then you won't look like such an ass.

Prison Bitch
08-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Snore. Your "argument by outrage" shtick should've run its course by now. It only fools stupid people. It doesn't work in actual corporate environments. Calling someone a moron only works if it's a believable charge.

Alex Smith: 151g 62.4% 31,888yds 87.4rate 183-96 TD-int112 approx value
Joe Flacco: 154g 61.7% 35,780yds. 84.1rate. 200-130 TD-int 106 approx value

"Identical career, same body of work, fans will always remember them the same" - HamasJenkins

scho63
08-14-2018, 01:50 PM

I've seen Michael Phelps about 5 times this summer at the Sprout's supermarket as he lives in the neighborhood I work and live in. He coaches swimming at ASU.

Chief_For_Life58
08-14-2018, 03:28 PM
I went to pga friday and saturday. Good god were there tons of people. Really fun though. Saw a ton of golf. Saw tiger a bunch. Its crazy how so many people just go to follow tiger from his first shot to his last. Thousands of people follow him and then half the amount follow guys like koepka, spieth, adam scott, stenson, jt. It was really interesting to see that.

The quality of golf right now from top to bottom is better than 2000. If tiger shot a 64 and did what he did back in 2003 he would of won the tournament. But now the young guns who hit their drivers a country mile and have incredible wedge game are just as good if not better. Its basically like Mizzou playing in the SEC now. However good mizzou gets there will always be a SEC team that is having one of the best years of their decade. It will be koepka having a career weekend, stenson, thomas pieters, kevin kisner, someone extremely good top 25 player will just go off. Tiger will ahve to play 4 amazing rounds to win a tournament now, and that goes for anyone. Its a great time to be a golf fan!

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Snore. Your "argument by outrage" shtick should've run its course by now. It only fools stupid people. It doesn't work in actual corporate environments. Calling someone a moron only works if it's a believable charge.

Alex Smith: 151g 62.4% 31,888yds 87.4rate 183-96 TD-int112 approx value
Joe Flacco: 154g 61.7% 35,780yds. 84.1rate. 200-130 TD-int 106 approx value

"Identical career, same body of work, fans will always remember them the same" - HamasJenkins

I don't have to worry about that because you're literally one of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever come across in any avenue or medium in my life. A complete fucking buffoon, which is why you resort to again misreading my argument and posting information that is completely unrelated to the point I was making.

Prison Bitch
08-14-2018, 11:01 PM
Body of work says Alex = Flacco. That's your argument, sir - not mine.

Here's the deal: if you've never called Sergio, Colin Montgomery, Lee Westwood et al "chokers" for their boatload of near-misses in Majors, then I'll believe you don't subscribe to Phil being one either. Of course, the mere notion is so preposterous you don't dare claim it.

Prison Bitch
08-14-2018, 11:13 PM
This chick had Tiger Woods and JayZ babies:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DklS0qlXoAAHeIG?format=jpg

scho63
08-15-2018, 08:34 AM
This chick had Tiger Woods and JayZ babies:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DklS0qlXoAAHeIG?format=jpg

I'm not sure if this is true or not but holy shit those are two little clones!!! :eek:

09-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Holy shit. This guy is mentally broke. 5-stroke lead with 4 to play and Tiger looking at bogey-bogey-bogey?

arrowheadnation
09-23-2018, 04:09 PM
That walk down the 18th and win were well worth the wait. That was awesome.

Mr. Plow
09-23-2018, 04:14 PM
That walk down the 18th and win were well worth the wait. That was awesome.

That was crazy. Watching those people rush in and Rory laugh as he ran ahead to give tiger his moment. Just crazy. Even Tiger couldn't even keep from smiling as he walked down 18.