PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Snorkels on vehicles

Rain Man
03-11-2018, 08:25 PM
There's an SUV that's been parking outside my house recently, and it looks like something that suzzer would drive to Patagonia. It's got extra gas cans strapped to the top, some sort of cargo carrier, big ol' spotlights that would blind an elk, and most importantly a snorkel.

Has anyone ever had a vehicle with a snorkel, and did you ever find yourself in a situation where you used it? I like them a lot and am considering putting a decorative snorkel on my BMW just to make it look even more cool.

SAUTO
03-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Probably just a douche

Rain Man
03-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Probably just a douche

The snorkel or the owner?

SAUTO
03-11-2018, 08:30 PM
The snorkel or the owner?

Owner

Buehler445
03-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Probably just a douche

Most likely this.

THere are very few people that mod up their vehicles actually usually them.

When I was riding my bike around town that any motherfucker driving a fucking noisy ass diesel pickup without actively pulling a trailer is indeed a douche.

Especially if it's noisy as fuck.

Hoover
03-11-2018, 08:31 PM
I put a snorkel on my Cabillic Eldorado just cuz.

Rain Man
03-11-2018, 08:32 PM
Owner

Oh. I thought maybe I didn't understand what the snorkel did.

What would you charge to add a snorkel to a BMW roadster? And is it just a snorkel, or are there changes in the engine as well?

MTG#10
Im glad you made this thread. I saw one of those for the first time on an old Jeep Cherokee the other day. No clue what it's for.

Nickhead
in our neck of the woods, it is more common to have a snorkel, than not :thumb:

matter of fact, i think it may cost extra to buy a ute that doesn't have one installed :D

Buehler445
03-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Im glad you made this thread. I saw one of those for the first time on an old Jeep Cherokee the other day. No clue what it's for.

Driving through water. Most air intakes are under the fenderwell.

Hoover
03-11-2018, 08:33 PM
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-ygAAOSwSrVakcuP/s-l1600.jpg

my commuter vehicle

Nickhead
03-11-2018, 08:34 PM

to make sure an engine doesn't bog down driving thru deep water/mud :thumb:

Rain Man
03-11-2018, 08:34 PM
Most likely this.

When I was riding my bike around town that any mother****er driving a ****ing noisy ass diesel pickup without actively pulling a trailer is indeed a douche.

Especially if it's noisy as ****.

I live in downtown Denver and my wife is often irritated at the massive pickups driving around. We don't think these are working vehicles. We think they're oil and gas analysts driving to work.

There's one that parks in our building that drives my wife crazy. He's got a reserved spot in the underground garage right in the tightest spot, and it's hard for other vehicles to get around him to their spot.

Bugeater
03-11-2018, 08:35 PM
SNORKEL SNORKEL SNORKEL

Rain Man
03-11-2018, 08:36 PM
in our neck of the woods, it is more common to have a snorkel, than not :thumb:

matter of fact, i think it may cost extra to buy a ute that doesn't have one installed :D

Does your vehicle have a snorkel? And do you use it? How often?

And isn't Australia pretty much all desert?

Nickhead
03-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Does your vehicle have a snorkel? And do you use it? How often?

And isn't Australia pretty much all desert?

i drive a holden commodore (monte carlo-ish) so no need.

http://www.bowe.id.au/michael/Cars/VT-II-SS-Sedan/VT-SS-50percent.jpg

living on the east coast in the mountains, there are a ton of valleys, springs, and creeks to wade thru, so in some cases there's no way to get around without them.

srvy
03-11-2018, 08:47 PM
I worked with a butt snorkel once. He had his nose so far up the big bosses butt he had to have it to breath. We called him snorkels I dont think he ever figured out why we called him that and he eventually got canned.

As for snorkels on trucks and stuff you see it a lot down in Louisiana keeps the intake above high water.

Frazod
03-11-2018, 08:56 PM
I'd never heard of one until I saw this movie. I guess they're a good idea if you're planning to flee across a river from an erupting volcano.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZyLi2ApFhbY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hoover
03-11-2018, 09:01 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JXg0klNSV9o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ow3Thzrm5oo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

prhom
03-11-2018, 09:05 PM
I’ve been told in Honduras that you should be wary of anyone who drives a Land Cruiser wth a snorkel. Apparently, both are quite popular with the narco crowd. I guess it can come in handy if the police/DEA guys chasing you don’t have snorkels on their trucks.

notorious
03-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Most likely this.

When I was riding my bike around town that any mother****er driving a ****ing noisy ass diesel pickup without actively pulling a trailer is indeed a douche.

Especially if it's noisy as ****.

The louder the truck, the smaller the penis.

Mother fuckers love to buy used Dodge Diesels around here to haul their fat girlfriends around. That's the only load they carry or pull.

prhom
03-11-2018, 09:12 PM
I live in downtown Denver and my wife is often irritated at the massive pickups driving around. We don't think these are working vehicles. We think they're oil and gas analysts driving to work.

There's one that parks in our building that drives my wife crazy. He's got a reserved spot in the underground garage right in the tightest spot, and it's hard for other vehicles to get around him to their spot.

I have to park my truck in downtown Denver and it’s a real pain. I had to look at 6 different garages before I could find one with enough overhead clearance. My truck isn’t even modified, Denver garages are just really low I guess. Which seems odd to me given how many people have big SUVs with gear racks on top. I did the courteous thing though and scouted the garage for the spot where I have the least impact on the cars next to me. Perhaps your wife should talk to the garage mgmt and see if they can move him?

Nickhead
03-11-2018, 09:17 PM
I have to park my truck in downtown Denver and it’s a real pain. I had to look at 6 different garages before I could find one with enough overhead clearance. My truck isn’t even modified, Denver garages are just really low I guess. Which seems odd to me given how many people have big SUVs with gear racks on top. I did the courteous thing though and scouted the garage for the spot where I have the least impact on the cars next to me. Perhaps your wife should talk to the garage mgmt and see if they can move him?

or you could leave a note :D

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/11/12/TELEMMGLPICT000146471960_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg?imwidth= 1400

prhom
03-11-2018, 09:25 PM
or you could leave a note :D

True, but if Rainman’s wife is parked next to him and he gets pissed then he might key her car or something stupid. If you tell garage mgmt that it’s impeding access to spots or is a safety issue because vehicles can’t get past it then it’ll be anonymous and there’s less chance of retaliation.

Nickhead
03-11-2018, 09:28 PM
True, but if Rainman’s wife is parked next to him and he gets pissed then he might key her car or something stupid. If you tell garage mgmt that it’s impeding access to spots or is a safety issue because vehicles can’t get past it then it’ll be anonymous and there’s less chance of retaliation.

considering the lady who left that note was arrested, i would take your route of de-escalation ROFL

Buehler445
03-11-2018, 09:41 PM

It's probably asshats that think they are rock climbers.

The last time I was down there I saw a shitload of jacked up pickups with retardedly huge tires that wouldn't climb a rock to save their ass.

So yeah. Douches.

The louder the truck, the smaller the penis.

Mother fuckers love to buy used Dodge Diesels around here to haul their fat girlfriends around. That's the only load they carry or pull.

Definitely stealing this for when it gets nice again and we can bike.

Rain Man
03-11-2018, 09:50 PM

Yeah, she did talk to management, and I think she wasn't the only one. But it's a reserved spot system and that was the spot the big truck driver chose - right on the corner around a tight turn where a support column blocks part of the driving path. The truck driver does everything to minimize impact, backing up right onto the parking block, but the vehicle is just too large, so it sticks out and blocks off one of the paths through. She and about a dozen other cars have to squeeze through the second path around the column, which then makes it hard to turn into their spots.

Honestly, the garage has a really weird design, which doesn't help. I keep thinking there must be a better way to stripe it and design spots, because there are support columns in weird places.

Nickhead
03-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Yeah, she did talk to management, and I think she wasn't the only one. But it's a reserved spot system and that was the spot the big truck driver chose - right on the corner around a tight turn where a support column blocks part of the driving path. The truck driver does everything to minimize impact, backing up right onto the parking block, but the vehicle is just too large, so it sticks out and blocks off one of the paths through. She and about a dozen other cars have to squeeze through the second path around the column, which then makes it hard to turn into their spots.

Honestly, the garage has a really weird design, which doesn't help. I keep thinking there must be a better way to stripe it and design spots, because there are support columns in weird places.

be careful, we all know what happened the last time someone tried parking their 'truck' next to a 'support column'. :thumb:

srvy
03-11-2018, 10:04 PM
When we are out of town working we always look for the Paki Pads and Bangladesh Inn's but so do every other pipeliner. They are nice because you can pull up right to the door of the room haul the valuable gear inside without climbing steps. Welders always seem to have diesels you dont need a wakeup call as the start those noisy bastards 4 to 4:30 am to warm in the cold.

Fish
03-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Came standard on my Chiefs red '92 Camaro.

Bugeater
03-11-2018, 10:09 PM
i drive a holden commodore (monte carlo-ish) so no need.

http://www.bowe.id.au/michael/Cars/VT-II-SS-Sedan/VT-SS-50percent.jpg

living on the east coast in the mountains, there are a ton of valleys, springs, and creeks to wade thru, so in some cases there's no way to get around without them.
You lucky fucker. I actually made a Holden reference in my AMA thread the other night.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=13459290&postcount=48

prhom
03-11-2018, 10:10 PM

That’s too bad. I guess just wait until he quits or buys a new car? The garage I park in has weird “compact” spots in between the supports. They are truly compact though, only those smart cars and fiats fit reasonably in those spots. It’s almost laughable they consider them parking spots at all.

Nickhead
03-11-2018, 10:11 PM
You lucky fucker. I actually made a Holden reference in my AMA thread the other night.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=13459290&postcount=48

:toast:

Baby Lee
03-11-2018, 10:24 PM
There's an SUV that's been parking outside my house recently, and it looks like something that suzzer would drive to Patagonia. It's got extra gas cans strapped to the top, some sort of cargo carrier, big ol' spotlights that would blind an elk, and most importantly a snorkel.

Has anyone ever had a vehicle with a snorkel, and did you ever find yourself in a situation where you used it? I like them a lot and am considering putting a decorative snorkel on my BMW just to make it look even more cool.

If you're doing actual off-road stuff in creek-crossed areas or bayous, it comes in pretty handy. Never owned an auto with one, but first rode in one when my dad rented a Jeep to camp in Yankee Boy Basin. 10 or 15 times we crossed creeks that were within inches of the hood line. Could reach over the side of the Jeep and splash the water.

My cousins down in LA almost all put them on at least one of their trucks for hunting season.

prhom
03-11-2018, 10:42 PM
If you're doing actual off-road stuff in creek-crossed areas or bayous, it comes in pretty handy. Never owned an auto with one, but first rode in one when my dad rented a Jeep to camp in Yankee Boy Basin. 10 or 15 times we crossed creeks that were within inches of the hood line. Could reach over the side of the Jeep and splash the water.

My cousins down in LA almost all put them on at least one of their trucks for hunting season.

Yankee Boy basin is such a neat place. So scenic, especially when all of the wildflowers are blooming. Reminds me of off reading trips I took with my family growing up. We loved that area around Ouray.

Buehler445
03-11-2018, 10:49 PM
When we are out of town working we always look for the Paki Pads and Bangladesh Inn's but so do every other pipeliner. They are nice because you can pull up right to the door of the room haul the valuable gear inside without climbing steps. Welders always seem to have diesels you dont need a wakeup call as the start those noisy bastards 4 to 4:30 am to warm in the cold.

If you have a welder bolted to your diesel - not a douche.

By definition anyway. Lots of welders are also douches, but not due to the diesel.

cooper barrett
03-11-2018, 11:23 PM

If you suggested to management that a third party's opinion on the issue might go a long way to resolving the issuesince they aren't doing anything. Maybe suggest the Fire Inspector should decide if it's really an issue as that is part of their duties. If they don't agree creat a fire hazard and call them anyway.:D:D

There has to be sufficient clearance for them to get in and out in case of an emergency and for people to exit so if he's blocking the right of way or creating an unsafe situation he might get management to act. Tell your wife that sliding him a wad of $cash$ would help too.:D:D:D

If the Fire Dept. say's it's kewl, give them tee shirts to calm them down...:D:Dhttps://s26.postimg.org/fwlfc1pxl/whiny_little_bitch-red.png

prhom
03-11-2018, 11:44 PM
If you suggested to management that a third party's opinion on the issue might go a long way to resolving the issuesince they aren't doing anything. Maybe suggest the Fire Inspector should decide if it's really an issue as that is part of their duties. If they don't agree creat a fire hazard and call them anyway.:D:D

There has to be sufficient clearance for them to get in and out in case of an emergency and for people to exit so if he's blocking the right of way or creating an unsafe situation he might get management to act. Tell your wife that sliding him a wad of $cash$ would help too.:D:D:D

If the Fire Dept. say's it's kewl, give them tee shirts to calm them down...:D:Dhttps://s26.postimg.org/fwlfc1pxl/whiny_little_bitch-red.png

I don’t think you can play the safety card here. The fire evacuation procedure in these buildings is to walk out via the stairs. No one is supposed to be driving during a fire and emergency vehicles do not enter the garages for a variety of reasons.

T-post Tom
03-12-2018, 12:27 AM
https://ak6.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/5357246/thumb/1.jpg

loochy
03-12-2018, 05:19 AM
Probably just a douche

my commuter vehicle

COchief
03-12-2018, 06:40 AM
Probably just a douche

Our "car guys" on this board are always interesting, I guess technically any vehicle is an Overland rig in Kansas.

The particular vehicle RM is referencing is probably outfitted for Overlanding:

"Overlanding is self-reliant overland travel to remote destinations where the journey is the principal goal. Typically, but not exclusively, it is accomplished with mechanized off-road capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping, often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and spanning international boundaries."

This trend has been growing all over the last couple decades but is also exploding in Mountainous areas like CO. It is absolutely over the top and extremely expensive (also a big pissing match) however the vehicles are bad ass and if equipped correctly can sustain long journeys. Ideal vehicles are true off road capable SUV/trucks (Jeeps, Toyotas, etc) with tires that max typically at 33 inches. Suited more to driving to Buenos Aires and back than rock-crawlers or mud trucks.

You'd have to be some sort of Colorado anomaly like an emaciated marathon running, peach miata driving, short short, leg-shaving nancy boy to not know what that is...

:)

https://www.tripsavvy.com/what-is-overlanding-4084076

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 06:49 AM
Yeah im SURE that guy is driving to Buenos Aires and back... and your article made the same point as me.

Big pissing match=douche

COchief
03-12-2018, 06:53 AM
Thanks for educating me and Rainman on a unique car culture we were unaware of. Thanks for being the only one to answer the OP accurately 40+ replies later.

No problem, anytime.

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 07:12 AM
No problem, anytime.

You're right. I've never seen anything like that.

Well except for the one I built for a guy who drives it around Columbia on a daily basis...

Baby Lee
03-12-2018, 07:29 AM

my commuter vehicle

That reminds me, I'm not often just completely gobsmacked by vehicle footage, but what I saw at 3:53 was pretty jawdropping. Anyone with experience know if it is truly remarkable, or if I'm just a 'noob' in this particular area?

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2HxJwXeA450" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

COchief
03-12-2018, 07:30 AM
You're right. I've never seen anything like that.

Well except for the one I built for a guy who drives it around Columbia on a daily basis...

Sorry you didn't know what it was called and that an entire car culture existed. Really it's not that big of deal. If you are that worried just copy and paste my post into your original "probably" (that word isn't telling or anything) post and I'll delete all mine, cause you knew the whole time, right?

No big deal, not like cars are my business or anything, just an interest for me.

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Sorry you didn't know what it was called and that an entire car culture existed. Really it's not that big of deal. If you are that worried just copy and paste my post into your original "probably" (that world isn't telling or anything) post and I'll delete all mine, cause you knew the whole time, right?

No big deal, not like cars are my business or anything, just an interest for me.
Yeah not like cars are my business either:rolleyes:

tooge
03-12-2018, 07:38 AM
I've thought of buying a plain old swimming pool snorkel and putting it on my truck. Just to make fun of the buttfucking morons that have actual vehicle snorkels on theirs.

While we're on that topic, how about the jeep wranglers that they put all the shit on, rock guards, snorkels, huge tires, two winches, etc., then it's driven in town by some dude or chick that doesn't even know how to put it into 4wd.

COchief
03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Yeah not like cars are my business either:rolleyes:

I know, they aren't mine.

If I can change the narrative I would love to know as a shop owner do you love these automotive trends that come through? Did you see any rise from the whole fartcan F&F trend, lowered trucks, donks, Overland, or does it not trickle to your state/shop? Did you charge dumb kids $1k+ in labor to slap on an intake/header/exhaust? Are you able to capitialize on any of this stuff or are they too small? Most automotive trends require a fair amount of investment, I would imagine as a biz owner you would be feasting on those entertainment dollars. My initial tone was admittedly dickish, genuinely curious about the other side of the coin if you want to share?

prhom
03-12-2018, 08:09 AM
Just curious, for those of you in the snorkel=douche camp. Does it bother you just as much to see someone with a souped up sports car or a classic hot rod? I mean, unless you have access to a race track or drive on the autobahn, you can’t legally take advantage of anything sportier than a Honda Civic. Sports cars and classic cars are terrible options as a daily driver if you live where it snows.

Both groups are using the full capability of their vehicles less than 1% of the time and almost certainly do much of what they do to their vehicles simply to look like a badass (in their opinion anyway).

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Just curious, for those of you in the snorkel=douche camp. Does it bother you just as much to see someone with a souped up sports car or a classic hot rod? I mean, unless you have access to a race track or drive on the autobahn, you can’t legally take advantage of anything sportier than a Honda Civic. Sports cars and classic cars are terrible options as a daily driver if you live where it snows.

Both groups are using the full capability of their vehicles less than 1% of the time and almost certainly do much of what they do to their vehicles simply to look like a badass (in their opinion anyway).

we drive our hot rods, the guys that work for me drive their drift cars. they are all always pushed hard.

i'm mainly talking about the guy who puts all that shit on his car to drive it to the office everyday and thats it

COchief
03-12-2018, 08:17 AM
As a true car guy I embrace any car culture because it gets people into cars which helps us all no matter what. Even a kid dreaming about his future "Donk" is miles above an uncaring millennial and their beige prius.

My biggest automotive pet peeve is TRD Tacomas with brush guards and radial tires. Colorado has it's shit together regarding proper tires, however in nation wide posts I see this all over the damn place. Learn to BFG people!

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 08:19 AM
I know, they aren't mine.

If I can change the narrative I would love to know as a shop owner do you love these automotive trends that come through? Did you see any rise from the whole fartcan F&F trend, lowered trucks, donks, Overland, or does it not trickle to your state/shop? Did you charge dumb kids $1k+ in labor to slap on an intake/header/exhaust? Are you able to capitialize on any of this stuff or are they too small? Most automotive trends require a fair amount of investment, I would imagine as a biz owner you would be feasting on those entertainment dollars. My initial tone was admittedly dickish, genuinely curious about the other side of the coin if you want to share?

i make money on it all, i built a jeep like what you are talking about for an air force retiree a couple years ago. 10 inch lift and the whole deal...its never even gotten muddy.

i do whatever it takes to get paid usually unless its not safe for the other people on the road.

i dont do fart cans, the kids that work for me do the whole turbo drift car thing. but they are about performance, not just playing the part.

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 08:20 AM
As a true car guy I embrace any car culture because it gets people into cars which helps us all no matter what. Even a kid dreaming about his future "Donk" is miles above an uncaring millennial and their beige prius.

My biggest automotive pet peeve is TRD Tacomas with brush guards and radial tires. Colorado has it's shit together regarding proper tires, however in nation wide posts I see this all over the damn place. Learn to BFG people!

radial tires? bfg arent?

and i agree, even if i hate some of the trends.

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 08:26 AM
While we're on that topic, how about the jeep wranglers that they put all the shit on, rock guards, snorkels, huge tires, two winches, etc., then it's driven in town by some dude or chick that doesn't even know how to put it into 4wd.

this is my point.

theres the douche

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 08:26 AM
and i say the same thing about the guy who builds and old hot rod and trailers her everywhere.

epic douche

COchief
03-12-2018, 08:35 AM
i make money on it all, i built a jeep like what you are talking about for an air force retiree a couple years ago. 10 inch lift and the whole deal...its never even gotten muddy.

i do whatever it takes to get paid usually unless its not safe for the other people on the road.

i dont do fart cans, the kids that work for me do the whole turbo drift car thing. but they are about performance, not just playing the part.

So you do see a bump here and there it sounds like. I'm curious if you ever think about some of the absurd dollars that are being spent on trends that make sense to me. Like the overland thing can be overdone and people are going nuts with it, but if I had a couple young kids taking something like an 80s suburban and popping some cheap suspension on there and good tires and throwing a rack and tent up top would be an awesome vehicle to go exploring in. Some of the 4x4 van builds with custom simple RVesque interiors are going for big money, basically custom built American Westfalias. Really all they do is a bed with a slide out underneath with basic sink/stove config. This sort of thing is growing for a lot of simple reasons that make sense and with the internet opening pathways for SF millionaires to Kansas mechanics you ever consider jumping in or dipping your toes into anything like that? I mean shit people are paying $40k for clean Westfalias, a guy like you could easily buy a ford or chevy fleet van and do the drivetrain swap, lift it, build the simple interior (offer a couple packages), and make a minimum of $10k per rig if you plotted it out right and got deals from manufacturers. People in the right industries in the right cities have ungodly amounts of disposable income with tons of dual income no kids homes. Ever consider anything in that realm or typically keep it closer to whats worked?

Also when I said BFG I meant BFG A/T TAs which used to be kind of the standard 31-33 AT tire for decades, my bad. It's kinda my personal lexicon.

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 08:40 AM
So you do see a bump here and there it sounds like. I'm curious if you ever think about some of the absurd dollars that are being spent on trends that make sense to me. Like the overland thing can be overdone and people are going nuts with it, but if I had a couple young kids taking something like an 80s suburban and popping some cheap suspension on there and good tires and throwing a rack and tent up top would be an awesome vehicle to go exploring in. Some of the 4x4 van builds with custom simple RVesque interiors are going for big money, basically custom built American Westfalias. Really all they do is a bed with a slide out underneath with basic sink/stove config. This sort of thing is growing for a lot of simple reasons that make sense and with the internet opening pathways for SF millionaires to Kansas mechanics you ever consider jumping in or dipping your toes into anything like that? I mean shit people are paying $40k for clean Westfalias, a guy like you could easily buy a ford or chevy fleet van and do the drivetrain swap, lift it, build the simple interior (offer a couple packages), and make a minimum of $10k per rig if you plotted it out right and got deals from manufacturers. People in the right industries in the right cities have ungodly amounts of disposable income with tons of dual income no kids homes. Ever consider anything in that realm or typically keep it closer to whats worked?

yeah i usually stick with what i know.

i'm not a body guy and thats what it takes to make things like that look right.

i bet if you did a couple a guy could get pretty good at it i just really dont have the room to tie up for a couple months to figure it out.

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 08:42 AM
my MAIN problem with the custom stuff is its hard to push people's cars that they drive every day and depend on back because im working on someone's toy.

then i end up working a 100 hours a week to try to get everything done and i hate the world...

COchief
03-12-2018, 09:04 AM
my MAIN problem with the custom stuff is its hard to push people's cars that they drive every day and depend on back because im working on someone's toy.

then i end up working a 100 hours a week to try to get everything done and i hate the world...

Yeah, I hear that and good on you for putting people over dollars. For me I see some of these types of elite specialty places popping up and they are simply my childhood dreams personified on the daily. Plus, these assholes are getting loaded doing it. I would love to just hunt decent vehicles and have the knowledge and the space to do basic rigging and sell them for a healthy profit. Crap if you just find decent XJs and do a 2-3 lift, bumpers, racks, wheels, and rhino line the thing that is a lot of bang for your buck on a weekend toy. I think the basic idea is pretty awesome, however there is always the douches with the dick measuring.

Thanks for rapping about cars and answering my questions, cheers.

splatbass
03-12-2018, 09:16 AM
I have to park my truck in downtown Denver and it’s a real pain. I had to look at 6 different garages before I could find one with enough overhead clearance. My truck isn’t even modified, Denver garages are just really low I guess. Which seems odd to me given how many people have big SUVs with gear racks on top.

I have an Xterra and have the same problem here in Honolulu. The high point on the roof rack is 6'3". I've run into several parking garages in the 6'0"- 6'2" range. Mine is stock too. In one garage we can go up to the 4th floor, but any higher and it scrapes. When we go into town to a place I don't know I always drive my wife's car just in case.

Rain Man
03-12-2018, 09:48 AM
I have an Xterra and have the same problem here in Honolulu. The high point on the roof rack is 6'3". I've run into several parking garages in the 6'0"- 6'2" range. Mine is stock too. In one garage we can go up to the 4th floor, but any higher and it scrapes. When we go into town to a place I don't know I always drive my wife's car just in case.

Our big shopping mall here had to close down half of their main parking garage entrance for several weeks because someone drove a tall vehicle in and nailed a support beam. It apparently took quite a while to fix it.

I wonder how the costs worked on that. Did the person in the tall vehicle have to pay for it? Does insurance cover damage to a multi-story parking garage from wedging your SUV in it?

Bwana
03-12-2018, 10:02 AM
I debated on installing one on one of my ATV's at one point for deeper creek crossings, but ultimately decided against it. I get into enough trouble on these things without something like that.

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 10:03 AM
I debated on installing one on one of my ATV's at one point for deeper creek crossings, but ultimately decided against it. I get into enough trouble on these things without something like that.

djyou get something bought?

Bwana
03-12-2018, 10:05 AM
djyou get something bought?

Not yet bud, the weekend got crazy so I didn't make it up there yet. I'm going to go take a look on Tuesday when the mechanics are there and I can have them rack it for me.

Rain Man
03-12-2018, 10:11 AM
we drive our hot rods, the guys that work for me drive their drift cars. they are all always pushed hard.

i'm mainly talking about the guy who puts all that shit on his car to drive it to the office everyday and thats it

So it sounds like I should find somebody else to put the snorkel on my BMW.

Bwana
03-12-2018, 10:18 AM
So it sounds like I should find somebody else to put the snorkel on my BMW.

That would indeed be one of a kind. :D

prhom
03-12-2018, 10:26 AM

In my case I had a 2007 Ram 2500 that just barely fit in my old garage that had 6’6” clearance. I then bought a new version of the same truck, but the new one has satellite radio. Well, the little satellite antenna dingus sticks up above the roof just a little bit. So the new truck is just under 6’ 6 7/8” so I was just barely too tall thanks to that stupid antenna! That’s when I realized how many of the garages around were too short. I don’t park in a lot of garages, but am always paranoid about going into new ones. You never know how well they measured. I like to play safe and allow a few inches for error. I don’t want to be the guy with the truck wedged in the parking garage!

Baby Lee
03-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Certainly don't want to wedge your dingus.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-12-2018, 10:30 AM
http://epicpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ff_2876.jpg

cooper barrett
03-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Our big shopping mall here had to close down half of their main parking garage entrance for several weeks because someone drove a tall vehicle in and nailed a support beam. It apparently took quite a while to fix it.

I wonder how the costs worked on that. Did the person in the tall vehicle have to pay for it? Does insurance cover damage to a multi-story parking garage from wedging your SUV in it?

You hit it you own it unless they had a sign saying the height was taller than it really is.

Taking out a support beam in a parking garage? Must have been pushing it?. We did that in the 80's in midtown KC Noise was deafening.

cooper barrett
03-12-2018, 02:44 PM
In my case I had a 2007 Ram 2500 that just barely fit in my old garage that had 6’6” clearance. I then bought a new version of the same truck, but the new one has satellite radio. Well, the little satellite antenna dingus sticks up above the roof just a little bit. So the new truck is just under 6’ 6 7/8” so I was just barely too tall thanks to that stupid antenna! That’s when I realized how many of the garages around were too short. I don’t park in a lot of garages, but am always paranoid about going into new ones. You never know how well they measured. I like to play safe and allow a few inches for error. I don’t want to be the guy with the truck wedged in the parking garage!

You wouldn't be the first person to notch a "v" into the header. ROFLROFLROFL

Maybe you would:hmmm::hmmm:

SAUTO
03-12-2018, 02:45 PM
You hit it you own it unless they had a sign saying the height was taller than it really is.

Taking out a support beam in a parking garage? Must have been pushing it?. We did that in the 80's in midtown KC Noise was deafening.

ROFLROFL youve just done it all...

cooper barrett
03-12-2018, 02:59 PM
ROFLROFL youve just done it all...

You have never seen how fast you could get from the roof/ basement to the exit in a parking garage in the early morning without sideswiping a wall or support?
You have missed some of the best fun you can have in a car.

MahiMike
03-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Just like 50 pct of truck/SUV drivers are women and none of them are using their 4X4.

srvy
03-12-2018, 05:32 PM
You have never seen how fast you could get from the roof/ basement to the exit in a parking garage in the early morning without sideswiping a wall or support?
You have missed some of the best fun you can have in a car.

Sounds like a good way to hit a pedestrian walking to the stairwell as you come flying around a blind corner. Not my kinda fun but the lawyers would have a great time with it.

cooper barrett
03-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Sounds like a good way to hit a pedestrian walking to the stairwell as you come flying around a blind corner. Not my kinda fun but the lawyers would have a great time with it.

I was young, didn't think the lawyer stuff, but at 3 AM and all the noise we made, I didn't think that hurting someone was going to happen. I was worried about a disabled car...There were lot's of things I did in my youth that would be frowned upon now and I was one of the responsible kids...Even when i was thinking with the wrong brain, I kept a good lawyer on retainer. One of KCMO's Fab 4.

We cruised the garages and had the entry blocked, still it could have become a major liability and would not suggest my grandkids to do when the time comes.
By the time that happens climbing a tree will be illegal. I'd guess it ready is in some places.

Thanks for telling me about the legalities 35-40 years later. Next I guess you want to discuss my urinary retention ....

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170315094001-john-oliver-ad-super-169.jpg