PDA

View Full Version : Life Would you go to Ireland if...

BigRichard
03-13-2018, 06:26 AM
I just got offered an opportunity to go to Ireland on the cheap. Upfront it will cost me about $500. That money would include my train ride from Omaha to Chicago, direct flight to Ireland, my hotel fee, some of my meals, and several sight seeing trips paid for. This will cover a 10 day span.

The downside, I was just told about this last night and I would have to leave tomorrow morning.

A few other things that are pros and cons(some could be both or either depending on who you are):
1. wife would not be going with me

2. I would be traveling with my wife's sister, brother in law, and two daughters(has a third daughter who backed out last minute hence the last minute offer). I would be bunking with the brother in law who I get a long just fine with.

3. The reason the family is going over there is the daughters are in dance group that will be performing in the St Paddy's day parade. I don't know how many other families are going but it will be several.

The money really isn't an issue for me at all. I will have to take 8 days of paid time off but I have several weeks saved up. I still have to go in and ask my boss to find out if it is ok but she is usually really cool about stuff like this so I don't see an issue.

Would you go?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the wife can't take off last minute so she can't go.

Bewbies
03-13-2018, 06:30 AM
I would. Or I’d let my wife go.

DaveNull
03-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Ireland's great. You should go. Stay out of Dublin as much as you can. When I was there I saw more Americans in Dublin than at a Chiefs tailgate.

threebag
03-13-2018, 06:32 AM
I would let the wife go

BigRichard
03-13-2018, 06:32 AM
I would. Or I’d let my wife go.

My wife couldn't take off last minute from work and that is why it was offered to me otherwise yes. She is fine with me going.

threebag
03-13-2018, 06:35 AM
Then go check it out.

"Uncle Big Richard went with us to watch us dance" might be some good family memories

ChiTown
03-13-2018, 06:37 AM
Ireland is one of my favorite places in the World. You won’t find nicer group of people to drink Guinness with :)

Go! You won’t regret it!

BigRichard
03-13-2018, 06:39 AM
I also need to know if I can get by wearing my shirt I just bought for St Paddy's Day here in Omaha :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AXB1TAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Probably not the best idea with the crowd I am going with.

BigRichard
03-13-2018, 06:40 AM
Ireland is one of my favorite places in the World. You won’t find nicer group of people to drink Guinness with :)

Go! You won’t regret it!

I do love me some Guinness.

BlackHelicopters
03-13-2018, 06:41 AM
Go.

redfan
03-13-2018, 06:41 AM
Fuck yes you should go!!

Nzoner
03-13-2018, 07:06 AM
Absolutely go,just refrain from saying St Paddy :D

Scorp
03-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Women harbor resentment, if you go without her she will never let you live that down. Ever

Nzoner
03-13-2018, 07:12 AM
Women harbor resentment, if you go without her she will never let you live that down. Ever

meh,it's her family not a bunch of drunken buddies

tx4chiefs
03-13-2018, 07:14 AM
Go!

Molitoth
03-13-2018, 07:18 AM
I have a team meeting in Germany next week and a couple of the guys are going over early to visit Ireland.
I chose not to go and hope I don't regret it.

tmax63
03-13-2018, 07:20 AM
Go. Not as harsh as Scorp, but prepare and do something BIG for her at some point in the future to make up for missing out on this. I know she's not missing it because of you but she's still missing out on what sounds like a really neat trip.

IowaHawkeyeChief
03-13-2018, 07:38 AM
meh,it's her family not a bunch of drunken buddies

Go, no doubt, you have a no resentment card since it's with her family. It's weird how that works. I can do anything with my brother-in-law and the wife don't care, but if it was my college buddies...

SuperBowl4
03-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Go and visit County Donegal up north and Galway on the west coast.

Nzoner
03-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Go, no doubt, you have a no resentment card since it's with her family. It's weird how that works. I can do anything with my brother-in-law and the wife don't care, but if it was my college buddies...

Yep,a few years ago my buddy had to pass on our annual Vegas trip due to health reasons and my mrs suggested I take (her side of family) our niece whom I get along great with.It was a fantastic trip and one time on the elevator a guy looked at us both and then blurted out,"damn dude how much did she cost you."
To which I replied,"dude it's my niece." He looks us over again and says,"yeah that's what they all say." LMAO

ghak99
03-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Do you have a bunch of kids your wife will be stuck at home taking care of?

If not, I definitely go. Your wife could probably use a little strange anyways.

alpha_omega
03-13-2018, 08:01 AM
I would rather wait and go to Ireland on my own terms without all the cons you mentioned (plus what Scorp said).

SuperBowl4
03-13-2018, 08:01 AM
ERIN GO BRAGH!

Iowanian
03-13-2018, 08:04 AM
I'd be pissing on the Blarney Stone by tomorrow night.

nychief
03-13-2018, 08:05 AM
I’d get on a football message board, ask them.

Yes. Go.

luv
03-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Is this a trick question? IN A HEARTBEAT.

Nzoner
03-13-2018, 08:06 AM
I would rather wait and go to Ireland on my own terms without all the cons you mentioned (plus what Scorp said).

I can honestly say the ONLY way I'd go with my wife's sister and bro-in law is that there was a signed agreement that we'd each do our own thing i.e. I'll be in the pub if you need me. :D

BigRichard
03-13-2018, 08:24 AM
I can honestly say the ONLY way I'd go with my wife's sister and bro-in law is that there was a signed agreement that we'd each do our own thing i.e. I'll be in the pub if you need me. :D

I don't think I will be expected to do everything with them but they already have several trips planned and paid for so I would definitely be going on some outings with them.

BigRedChief
03-13-2018, 08:29 AM
My Irish ancestors that I've confirmed go all the way back to 1190. I'd like to say........ Get off my lawn!

of course you go, ya shmuck.

stumppy
03-13-2018, 08:32 AM
My Great Grandmother, Myrtle Galloway, would be turning in her grave if I didn't go.

BigRichard
03-13-2018, 08:33 AM
They are talking to their daughter again trying to get her to go(which I hope she does). Otherwise she is going to call the airline to switch the ticket over.

Nzoner
03-13-2018, 08:33 AM
I don't think I will be expected to do everything with them but they already have several trips planned and paid for so I would definitely be going on some outings with them.

Yeah but it sounds like you like your BIL :D

DeepSouth
03-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Go if you can bunk with the sister in law versus the brother in law.

Frazod
03-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Do it.

But of course, no matter what she says now, your wife will hold this against you as long as you fucking live. :D

Rausch
03-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Absolutely. Go with family and see everything you can.

Go back later on your own dime and be a wild man...

stumppy
03-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Do it.

But of course, no matter what she says now, your wife will hold this against you as long as you fucking live. :D

That's the first thought that came to me. This trip will be used to get anything she wants in the future.

Rain Man
03-13-2018, 09:40 AM
To me, the key questions are:

1. Are the daughters bratty little kids or hot college coeds?
2. What do you think about the redhead pictures thread?

Regardless, the longstanding rule is that you never turn down an opportunity to travel, even if you have to travel with bratty children and you don't like redheads.

L.A. Chieffan
03-13-2018, 10:08 AM
This is a no brainer

Randallflagg
03-13-2018, 10:12 AM
I just got offered an opportunity to go to Ireland on the cheap. Upfront it will cost me about $500. That money would include my train ride from Omaha to Chicago, direct flight to Ireland, my hotel fee, some of my meals, and several sight seeing trips paid for. This will cover a 10 day span.

The downside, I was just told about this last night and I would have to leave tomorrow morning.

A few other things that are pros and cons(some could be both or either depending on who you are):
1. wife would not be going with me

2. I would be traveling with my wife's sister, brother in law, and two daughters(has a third daughter who backed out last minute hence the last minute offer). I would be bunking with the brother in law who I get a long just fine with.

3. The reason the family is going over there is the daughters are in dance group that will be performing in the St Paddy's day parade. I don't know how many other families are going but it will be several.

The money really isn't an issue for me at all. I will have to take 8 days of paid time off but I have several weeks saved up. I still have to go in and ask my boss to find out if it is ok but she is usually really cool about stuff like this so I don't see an issue.

Would you go?

Edit: Forgot to mention, the wife can't take off last minute so she can't go.

My Wife and I have been to Ireland (and England and Scotland) three times. Wonderful places to visit. My ancestors came here from Scotland way back - and I happened to be born in England (Lancashire) so it was fun to visit those places.

Dublin is a beautiful city - you will love it. County Cork is about as "country" as country can be. GO!!! You will NOT regret it.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-13-2018, 10:18 AM
definitely

kcpasco
03-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Go for a bit of craic

kcpasco
03-13-2018, 10:45 AM
And watch some YouTube videos on the slang or you are gonna be scratching your head.

Ming the Merciless
03-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Ireland is really cool....I think you should go for sure. Especially if you havent been out of the country much etc..

BigRichard
03-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Just to give an update, I am currently sitting outside Chicago. Will be flying off to Ireland tonight.

alpha_omega
03-14-2018, 11:53 AM
Please report back to let us know how it went..... awesome/sucked?

Safe travels!

Randallflagg
03-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Just to give an update, I am currently sitting outside Chicago. Will be flying off to Ireland tonight.

Tha Laddie! Gabh spòrs

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-14-2018, 02:32 PM
To me, the key questions are:

1. Are the daughters bratty little kids or hot college coeds?
2. What do you think about the redhead pictures thread?

Regardless, the longstanding rule is that you never turn down an opportunity to travel, even if you have to travel with bratty children and you don't like redheads.

That's not a good rule. If you travel to North Korea there's a 80% chance you'll be arrested for being a spy.

Edit :97.5%

T-post Tom
03-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Rough winter this year, but I'd still go. Lost a gold chain in Dingle. PM me if you find it.:)

Rain Man
03-14-2018, 02:44 PM

That's a weird coincidence. Maybe you'll see your family members while you're there.

Have fun! Don't mention potatoes.

saphojunkie
03-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Ireland one of the absolute best places I’ve been. And it’s St patty day. (Not Patty’s)

BigRichard
03-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Here are some of the pictures I took. I have a ton more which I may add to the photo album I am linking to. The Onion Knight led the St Patty Day parade and Mark Hamill was in the stands just down from us. I didn't get any pictures of him though.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeS5Sbk

Rausch
03-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Now that I know having your dog do the Nazi salute is a crime?

No.

I've always wanted to hit Scottland, Ireland, London, and Japan.

Now, that list is very short...

Halfcan
03-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Nice shots! With those awesome cloud formations- several of those would look great in black and white. Very dramatic. Love the cliff shot.

BigRichard
03-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Nice shots! With those awesome cloud formations- several of those would look great in black and white. Very dramatic. Love the cliff shot.

Yeah, the cliff shot is going up as my background for my computer once I get home. Still in Chicago waiting to hop a train to Omaha.

Rausch
03-24-2018, 11:06 AM
People don't think about the LAWS of where they're going.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer to keep my $$$ here where I only have to worry about Cali or Arizona.

The process for extradition is LENGTHY if you don't have money...

DanT
03-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Here are some of the pictures I took. I have a ton more which I may add to the photo album I am linking to. The Onion Knight led the St Patty Day parade and Mark Hamill was in the stands just down from us. I didn't get any pictures of him though.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeS5Sbk

Great pics...I am glad you decided to go. My mom emigrated from Ireland. She was born in Galway. Ireland and Scotland are great places to visit.

Rausch
03-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Great pics...I am glad you decided to go. My mom emigrated from Ireland. She was born in Galway. Ireland and Scotland are great places to visit.

I've always wanted to go to the UK.

At this point I can LITERALLY be jailed for saying "You fat frog, I hope you get raped by NAZIS."

At a bar.

That's a thing that can now happen...

JakeF
03-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Ireland is supposed to be pretty cool, take advantage of it and go.

splatbass
03-25-2018, 05:50 PM
People don't think about the LAWS of where they're going.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer to keep my $$$ here where I only have to worry about Cali or Arizona.

The process for extradition is LENGTHY if you don't have money...

Just obey the laws and you’ll be fine. The experience of visiting other countries is well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk