PDA

View Full Version : Money Hypothetical: your new construction job.

Rain Man
03-15-2018, 08:45 PM
Here's the situation: You go into a 7/11 and witness a mass murder. Running out the door, you escape, and when the police arrive you give them a description of the murderer. (It's a bigger guy with bad glasses wearing an orange jersey that is two digits, first digit being a five.)

In order to protect you, the FBI gives you a new identity and a job working at a front firm operated by the FBI. It's a construction company, so you're required to take a construction job. You will receive the necessary training to do the new job.

What occupation do you take?

Poll coming as soon as I get my toolbox open.

JoeyChuckles
03-15-2018, 08:50 PM
I call being the guy that watches the other two do the work.

Willie Lanier
03-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Foreman

Rain Man
03-15-2018, 08:55 PM
I call being the guy that watches the other two do the work.

Foreman

I foresaw this answer and intentionally left out the professions of foreman and inspector. Ha!

Rain Man
03-15-2018, 08:58 PM
I took the easy way out with "construction equipment operator other than paving...", because I assume that means I get to operate a big crane or something.

But that one's kind of cheating because it's a desk job in a big robot. Among the classic trades, I would choose bricklayer. For some reason it seems like that would be a relaxing job.

Willie Lanier
03-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Fine, I'll be an electrician

Jewish Rabbi
03-15-2018, 09:00 PM
I’ll be a pipe layer... if you know what I’m saying.

Abba-Dabba
03-15-2018, 09:08 PM
I wanted HVAC but Electrician will do.

Buehler445
03-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Equipment operator.

I can run machinery.

Rain Man
03-15-2018, 09:25 PM

Would HVAC perhaps fall under Boilermaker or Sheet Metal worker?

I'm using federal occupational definitions, by the way.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-15-2018, 09:27 PM
Operator.

Those dudes don't have to know or do shit and they prove it to me daily.

oldman
03-15-2018, 10:05 PM
My grandfather once told me "Grandson, you should never try to make your living with your hands, you'll starve". That said, The closest thing to anything I've ever done with some success is electrician, so I'll take that.

TrebMaxx
03-15-2018, 10:49 PM
I think I will be laying pipe.

03-15-2018, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't want any of those jobs so I'll take my chances.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Why can't fishing guide be an option ?

bigjosh
03-15-2018, 11:13 PM
electrician is easily the cleanest work of the group. I welded for 9 years, I am all set with doing that anymore.

Coochie liquor
03-16-2018, 02:51 AM
I went iron worker

Fire Me Boy!
03-16-2018, 05:56 AM
In which of these jobs would I be in air conditioning?

Graystoke
03-16-2018, 06:56 AM
I went with Septic Tank Cleaner.
Shit is always going to flow

loochy
03-16-2018, 06:59 AM
I'll take the equipment operator. I've always wanted to drive a dozer or excavator.
Posted via Mobile Device

tmax63
03-16-2018, 07:09 AM
I come from a long line of carpenters. Have had 2 or 3 people ask me who taught me when seeing something I built. I am like my father though, I'm better at framing/rough carpentry over finish work. My uncle was a magician when it came to finish work. The guy who would build cabinets from scratch, built in bookcases, furniture and so on.

Graystoke
I'll take the equipment operator. I've always wanted to drive a dozer or excavator.
Posted via Mobile Device

You have never done that?
I suck at it, but have been cut free on heavy equipment for a day

Comanche
Postled via Mobile Device

Good choice IMO. If you learn the business and save some money, you might be able to start your own company. While electrician sounds like a good option, there are sooo many jack-legs and "do it yourselfers" out there doing electrical work there might be less demand for your services?

ptlyon
03-16-2018, 07:10 AM
I'd build a pre formed pedestrian bridge

Comanche
03-16-2018, 07:13 AM
I'd build a pre formed pedestrian bridge

Ouch, too soon?

loochy
03-16-2018, 07:15 AM
You have never done that?
I suck at it, but have been cut free on heavy equipment for a day

Nope. I've been tempted to just rent one for a day and dig.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dunerdr
03-16-2018, 07:16 AM
I'm an electrician currently no offense to you girls who aren't but I feel the only move I make from here that isn't backwards or lateral is a crane operator.

BlackHelicopters
03-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Must go with fence ERECTION

Abba-Dabba
03-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Would HVAC perhaps fall under Boilermaker or Sheet Metal worker?

I'm using federal occupational definitions, by the way.

I don't think so, but I have no clue. I am not a construction worker.

Rain Man
03-16-2018, 09:04 AM
I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but we seem to have a strong pattern in what we feel are the most most desirable or easiest jobs. I'm not particularly surprised that hazardous material removal isn't getting a lot of votes. How does a person end up in that profession anyway? You must be really uncertain of your career path and then get recruited to do it.

Rain Man
03-16-2018, 09:15 AM

Aha. I have an answer. HVAC people are not categorized by the feds as construction workers, but rather are classified as Installation, maintenance, and repair. So you can't be an HVAC worker in this exercise.

Beef Supreme
03-16-2018, 09:16 AM
I would blackmail Von Miller to stay quiet

Dartgod
03-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Where's the option for the guy that installs network and A/V infrastructure? Cabling and such?

I want to be that guy.

The closest option was electrician, so I selected that.

Iowanian
03-16-2018, 09:24 AM
I've done several constuction jobs working my way up....I've been a flagged on road constuction in College for a summer....most boring job on the planet, bonus I taught myself to juggle with rocks during the endless hours of desolation. I've been a construction laborer for a couple of summers, have roofed, laid tile, some concrete and spent a summer installing sewer pipe.

I know what my body won't do anymore and several of these jobs are very physically demanding.....I don't want to be a stone mason, roofer or floor/tile installer...too hard on the back and knees. Big ups to the men who can do that.

If I had to choose I'd pick equipment operator due to the pay and it's match with my age and experience with GPS and equipment.

That said, I know for sure that if I started day one as a general laborer it wouldn't take long to move up the food chain to a much more desirable job. If you work really hard and prove yourself capable they don't leave you on the end of a shovel very long.

If I were advising a young person to choose something from that list I would tell them to be an electrician. Pay is solid and there will be huge demand in the field as so many are retiring. I believe skilled trades will be in big demand soon and the pay will demonstrate that.

The Franchise
03-16-2018, 09:26 AM
Where's the option for the guy that installs network and A/V infrastructure? Cabling and such?

I want to be that guy.

The closest option was electrician, so I selected that.

This.

But I chose painter.

patteeu
03-16-2018, 09:31 AM
I'm going to be a glazier. I bring sunshine to people.

Beef Supreme
03-16-2018, 09:33 AM
This.

But I chose painter.

So you like to smoke weed.

Iowanian
03-16-2018, 09:35 AM
I wish I Had chosen electrician.....I took the day off and need to go install a couple rows of lights and a circuit of plugs in my shop. I'm not very good at it and usually get shocked or do things twice to make it work.

Pablo
03-16-2018, 09:51 AM
So you like to smoke weed.
Nah. You'll never meet a painter that isn't an alcoholic. Weed is secondary.

Rain Man
I'm going to be a glazier. I bring sunshine to people.

I had to look that one up. I thought it was the guy who brought doughnuts.

Eleazar
You forgot the job where you catcall all the women who walk by the job site ;)

Rain Man
03-16-2018, 09:52 AM
I wish I Had chosen electrician.....I took the day off and need to go install a couple rows of lights and a circuit of plugs in my shop. I'm not very good at it and usually get shocked or do things twice to make it work.

Do you want to choose it to learn more about the profession, or do you want to choose it because you enjoy being shocked?

patteeu
03-16-2018, 09:55 AM
I had to look that one up. I thought it was the guy who brought doughnuts.

It's hard to go wrong bringing people sunshine or doughnuts.

Buehler445
03-16-2018, 09:59 AM
I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but we seem to have a strong pattern in what we feel are the most most desirable or easiest jobs. I'm not particularly surprised that hazardous material removal isn't getting a lot of votes. How does a person end up in that profession anyway? You must be really uncertain of your career path and then get recruited to do it.

I'd do it. I know how to handle chemical.

Rain Man
03-16-2018, 10:14 AM
I'd do it. I know how to handle chemical.

If Chiefsplanet starts a construction company, I may need you to do it. And I'll assign a few of our electricians to be your assistants.

I look at these jobs, and boy, I would not be a good construction worker. These all require skills and aptitudes that I simply don't have.

Dayze
03-16-2018, 10:19 AM
I think I will be laying pipe.

LMAO

Easy 6
03-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Construction equipment operator, I have plenty of experience with backhoes, front end loaders, bobcats and skid steers

Bugeater
03-16-2018, 12:58 PM
You'd have the best chance doing flooring. It's one of the cleaner gigs because it's at the end of the project, also everyone else has to GTFO while you're there so you don't have other trades to work around. It's hell on your knees though.

I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but we seem to have a strong pattern in what we feel are the most most desirable or easiest jobs. I'm not particularly surprised that hazardous material removal isn't getting a lot of votes. How does a person end up in that profession anyway? You must be really uncertain of your career path and then get recruited to do it.That's pretty much how you end up in any type of construction job. There's an old saying "If you can't decide what to do with your life, life will decide what to do with you", and most often, life decides to stick you in a construction job.

Bugeater
03-16-2018, 01:02 PM
This.

But I chose painter.
You chose poorly. Enjoy watching everything you accomplish get destroyed by other trades along the way.

Bugeater
03-16-2018, 01:10 PM
If Chiefsplanet starts a construction company, I may need you to do it. And I'll assign a few of our electricians to be your assistants.

I look at these jobs, and boy, I would not be a good construction worker. These all require skills and aptitudes that I simply don't have.
You aren't born with the skills, you develop them. A lot of it is just a matter of having the proper tools. Others, such as hanging drywall or wallcoverings, require patience more than anything else.

The Franchise
03-16-2018, 01:19 PM
You chose poorly. Enjoy watching everything you accomplish get destroyed by other trades along the way.

What the fuck do I care if I'm getting paid?

sd4chiefs
03-16-2018, 01:22 PM
I chose Sewer Pipe Cleaner because I would be shitty doing any construction job so it might as well be a shitty job.

Bugeater
03-16-2018, 01:46 PM
What the fuck do I care if I'm getting paid?I started off with the same attitude, but trust me, it's starts getting tiresome very quickly.

Randallflagg
03-16-2018, 01:59 PM
One of my best friends in the world graduated High School and his old man got him an Apprenticeship with the IBEW. He did that for 4 years, got his Journeyman license and went to work for Ford - working on the robotics system on the assembly line at the Ford Truck Plant in Louisville, KY. He used to laugh and tell me that he slept most nights - the damned robots hardly ever broke down.

When he passed in 2010 - he was making $119,000 per year. He'd been an electrician for 35 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-16-2018, 08:44 PM
What the fuck do I care if I'm getting paid?

You'll care by the time you get your ass dragged back to the 3rd or 4th job site.

You NEVER pick a trade where you will be one of the last phases of a job. I KNOW.

Chiefs4TheWin
03-16-2018, 09:27 PM
I would of picked Fence Erector, but I know who the murderer is.