PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Lets talk current players and needs on our defense.

BigRedChief
03-17-2018, 08:26 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To steal <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JoeGoodberry</a>&#39;s idea, KC&#39;s current defensive contributors:<br><br>Edge- Houston, Ford, Kpass<br>DL- Jones, Bailey, Nacho, Jenkins<br>ILB- Hitchens, Ragland, Eligwe, Smith<br>CB- Fuller, Amerson, Nelson, ?<br>S- Berry, Sorensen, Murray, McQuay<br><br>Not comfortable w/ S, CB and DL especially.</p>&mdash; Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/975011037941522434?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 17, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 500px; height: 360.933px; padding: 0px; border: medium none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="975011037941522434" title="Twitter Tweet" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.f47a2e0b4471326b6fa0f163bda46011.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.f47a2e0b4471326b6fa0f163bda46011.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

BigRedChief
03-17-2018, 08:27 AM
I think we need to bundle some picks and go up to get the best CB we can. I think we are good at ILB. We are paying Ford major $'s, he has to do something this year. Need to give Berry some help at S.

bricks
03-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Chiefs need a NT. That should be priority #1.

I still think one of OLB spots is questionable. I don’t like Dee Ford. Kpass is still a project and a work in progress. Although, I like what I saw from him in the Broncos game in the last game of the season. I’d focus on getting another passrusher in here but I doubt the Chiefs will. Houston hasn’t lived up to his contract but is still the best LBer we have.

Secondary needs another starting CB and safety to play next to Berry. Im not sold on either Sorenson, Murray, Emerson or Nelson. I would keep them as depth guys and nothing more.

TRR
03-17-2018, 09:00 AM

I still think one of OLB spots is questionable. I don’t like Dee Ford. Kpass is still a project and a work in progress. Although, I like what I saw from him in the Broncos game in the last game of the season. I’d focus on getting another passrusher in here but I doubt the Chiefs will. Houston hasn’t lived up to his contract but is still the best LBer we have.

Secondary needs another starting CB and safety to play next to Berry. Im not sold on either Sorenson, Murray, Emerson or Nelson. I would keep them as depth guys and nothing more.

Only so many holes you can plug in one offseason. I think KC comes out of FA with one more “starter” I.E. Bennie Logan, Tre Boston, Junior Galette. The unknown to me is how KC feels about guys like Justin Hamilton, Will Redmond, Keith Reaser, Josh Augusta, etc.

O.city
03-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Tre Boston at fs would be a good idea

Add a dl (not specifically a NT) and draft well

Chiefs Moon
03-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Priorities on defense, IMHO: 1. DL 2. Safety 3. CB 4. Edge

We need some combination of Draft, FA, Trades, and September cuts to get there.

It's doable. Won't be solid until next year. Have to hope/pray for fewer injuries.

RealSNR
03-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Only so many holes you can plug in one offseason. I think KC comes out of FA with one more “starter” I.E. Bennie Logan, Tre Boston, Junior Galette. The unknown to me is how KC feels about guys like Justin Hamilton, Will Redmond, Keith Reaser, Josh Augusta, etc.
Which is why it might be okay for us to sit back and just load up on depth at those specific positions.

Have a training camp battle royale and see who comes out on top. Assess them this year, and regroup in the next offseason.

Adding Boston would definitely help us to move up and grab one of our preferred CBs

O.city
03-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Yeah I’d like to see a dl and safety added just to open up the draft

Chief Northman
03-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Safety is the position the Chiefs can still come away with a starter in through free agency. While not my favourite, Tre Boston makes sense to replace Parker. He played a lot of single high and has good cover skills, and any warm body would tackle better than Parker. Morgan Burnett affords you the most versatility, is tough as nails but is turning 30 and wants big $.
Reid and Vaccaro come with too much mileage for my liking. Multiple concussions and the protesting by Reid do not make him a fit in KC. Vaccaro is not as instinctive nor athletic as one would like.

I think Vinny Curry could get interest from the Chiefs if the price is right. He can be a sub-set rusher that could replace Hali/Zombo’s production either inside or out. He can play 5 tech, or stand up from time to time....
Would insure against Ford being unavailable due to injury or KPass not developing fast enough.

Find a NT and Corners in the draft.

Chief Roundup
03-17-2018, 09:35 AM
What are the chances we stand pat until after the draft?

Easy 6
03-17-2018, 09:50 AM
I think we need to bundle some picks and go up to get the best CB we can. I think we are good at ILB. We are paying Ford major $'s, he has to do something this year. Need to give Berry some help at S.

We might be ok at FS with Murray or McQuay, but yeah its probably best to draft one high... and that CB group definitely needs some attention, not comfortable there at all

O.city
03-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Don’t trade away picks unless you’re going up to the first round

I’d use the rams second next year and try and trade for a player already in the league

3rd&Long
03-17-2018, 09:56 AM

Every point is well made and I do agree with the overall assessment. Next up, the age old question of taking BPA or position of need come draft day(s).

Randallflagg
03-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Ford WILL do something this year...IF (and that's a big if) he plays this season - he will get hurt in the first or second game and will be on IR for the rest of the season.

That is what Ford will do.

Randallflagg
03-17-2018, 11:14 AM
What are the chances we stand pat until after the draft?

60-40.....Hope I'm wrong, but we'll see...

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Safety, CB, D Line and an OLBer should be the Chiefs first 4 selections.

Drafting a 2 down NT with a 2nd round pick would be foolish, IMO, as would trading any of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks to move up.

This draft is deep in secondary and defensive lineman so there's no reason to blow precious draft capital, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Ford WILL do something this year...IF (and that's a big if) he plays this season - he will get hurt in the first or second game and will be on IR for the rest of the season.

That is what Ford will do.

:facepalm:

O.city
03-17-2018, 11:21 AM

Drafting a 2 down NT with a 2nd round pick would be foolish, IMO, as would trading any of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks to move up.

This draft is deep in secondary and defensive lineman so there's no reason to blow precious draft capital, IMO.

Pretty much

They definitely need to beef up the dl but it needs to be guys that can play all 3 downs

BigRedChief
03-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Yeah I’d like to see a dl and safety added just to open up the draftwe need help everywhere on defense. I think we and the Chiefs can see that fact. You really can’t go wrong adding defensive talent anywhere on the D.

That said, CB is still IMHO, the top priority.

Cooter Bailey
03-17-2018, 12:03 PM

A NT I really like in the late rounds is Du’Vonta Lampkin of Oklahoma. He is 6’3” and 335 pounds. He ran a 5.03 40 yard dash at pro day and benched 31 times. He would be a 2nd rounder if he was motivated, but he hasn’t been so far. He could be a late round steal or a washout but worth the risk IMO.

RustShack
03-17-2018, 12:09 PM
1. NT
2. S
3. OLB
4. CB
4. DE
5. Best depth available everywhere.

O.city
03-17-2018, 12:10 PM
we need help everywhere on defense. I think we and the Chiefs can see that fact. You really can’t go wrong adding defensive talent anywhere on the D.

The front 7 needs speed and athletes

Hitchens was a great add but the dl needs more

wasi
03-17-2018, 12:28 PM
If Dadi Nicolas is healed I think he factors into the battle at OLB. He flashed some good rushing skills before his injury.

I like what I saw from McQuay against Denver. He made some great tackles and played like a missle. I would look at him next to Berry if it was up to me.

Dark Horse
03-17-2018, 12:34 PM
I think what we have is just serviceable guys at cb, dl and safety but over paying a free agent to just be a slight upgrade would be foolish. We can most likely do that with the draft and possibly add another elite player in the process.

Rausch
03-17-2018, 12:36 PM
IMO we need to draft an ENFORCER at SS.

Our DL might be weak but when you have a guy laying down the law behind you it makes you suck it up...

BossChief
03-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Yeah I’d like to see a dl and safety added just to open up the draft

This draft class has a ton of good corners and safeties.

Unless a superb guy is available at a discount, I’d wait for the draft to add secondary players.

Pretty sure that’s why we’re seeing so many CBS and safeties get cut.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2018, 01:02 PM
If Dadi Nicolas is healed I think he factors into the battle at OLB. He flashed some good rushing skills before his injury.

I wouldn't count on Nicolas at this point, as the Chiefs have said absolutely nothing about his patellar tendon injury, which can be career ending.

One thing of note is that the Chiefs lined up Eligwe at OLB against Denver and played well, which may signal that they're looking at him as OLB depth.

loochy
03-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Orlando Scandrick is coming available soon. Kick the tires?

NJChiefsFan
03-17-2018, 01:08 PM
I really think we need to fill one of the 3 holes before the draft. Getting 2 of them in the draft is a lot more realistic than getting 3.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Orlando Scandrick is coming available soon. Kick the tires?

Too old

Discuss Thrower
03-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Make Marcus Kemp the 2018 verison of Troy Brown

smithandrew051
03-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Any interest in Jonathan Hankins? Colts just released him.

Chief Northman
03-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Any interest in Jonathan Hankins? Colts just released him.

Chiefs best be inquiring. Young, productive NT who has a blended ability in stopping the run and disrupting the pass.

BigRedChief
03-17-2018, 02:29 PM
IMO we need to draft an ENFORCER at SS.

Our DL might be weak but when you have a guy laying down the law behind you it makes you suck it up...what is Berry?

Easy 6
03-17-2018, 02:33 PM
we need help everywhere on defense. I think we and the Chiefs can see that fact. You really can’t go wrong adding defensive talent anywhere on the D.

I'd have to agree about CB, we're shockingly thin there at the moment... I totally dicked up my mock in the Saccopoo forum :shake:

jaa1025
03-17-2018, 02:52 PM
If I'm Veech, I'm getting on the phone with Johnathan Hankins' agent ASAP. He's 25, the best NT available. Only reason he was released is because the colts switching to 4-3. He'd be an upgrade to Bennie Logan, who I'd like to have back if we can't sign this guy. NT is immensely important to fill for this defense.

loochy
03-17-2018, 02:56 PM
what is Berry?

injury prone

BigRedChief
03-18-2018, 08:23 AM
If I'm Veech, I'm getting on the phone with Johnathan Hankins' agent ASAP. He's 25, the best NT available. Only reason he was released is because the colts switching to 4-3. He'd be an upgrade to Bennie Logan, who I'd like to have back if we can't sign this guy. NT is immensely important to fill for this defense.If he's so good, why is he still available?

Red Dawg
03-18-2018, 08:28 AM
I think they have tried to sign a DL but no dice with the money. That sucks ass. Corner is also not a position we couldn't just walk into the season right now happy with. Need a vet. Safety can be had with our first pick in the draft.

Willie Lanier
03-18-2018, 08:49 AM
If he's so good, why is he still available?

Because he just became available?

Buckweath
03-18-2018, 08:58 AM
You never have enough depth but the LBs group is set IMO and could be very good.

I'd like to add a Logan or Hankins plus a draft pick at DL. The group right now is clearly not good enough.

At the safety position, I would just draft one early and roll with Berry and Murray. A one-year contract FA could also be a good option.

The CB group is such an unknown. I would have liked a top FA plus an early or mid draft pick. One thing is for sure, you can't just draft a CB at #54 and think it is enough. I am confident Veach will either sign a FA plus draft a CB early, trade up for a CB or trade for a CB. I mean it is Nelson's last year of contract and Amerson signed a one-year contract.

You decided to trade Peters, fine. But you better make sure you put a quality or at least average CB group on the field.

Hoover
03-18-2018, 09:01 AM
1. There is no reason to freak out.
2. Its the NT spot that I'm concerned with in free agency. I don't want them to spend stupid money on the postion, but we need a good stop gap.
3. People need to stop thinking that the Chiefs are at a disadvantage because they lack a first round pick. Teams are made in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. We have five picks in those three rounds. This is where I want the Chiefs to grab D linemen and DBs. Like five of them.
4. Our holes on offense are minimal. Yeah, it would be nice to have a better #2 TE behind our all world TE in Kelce. Yeah, we lost Fulton, but there are plenty of bodies available.
5. We will add cheap FAs to fillout the roster. The second week of free agency is not the time to find those guys.

It's March. Lets talk after the draft about what the defense looks. I bet we will feel differently.

Bowser
03-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Is Star Lotulelei any type of viable option for NT? I also like the thought of Tre Boston, but I'm not sure we could swing both of them. I think I'd make a run at Star if all things were equal.

Sassy Squatch
03-18-2018, 09:09 AM
Is Star Lotulelei any type of viable option for NT? I also like the thought of Tre Boston, but I'm not sure we could swing both of them. I think I'd make a run at Star if all things were equal.
Star signed a 5 year 50 million contract with Buffalo.

Chief Northman
03-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Ummmm

Star signed a 5 year $50 million contract in Buffalo.
You want to trade for him?

Bowser
03-18-2018, 09:11 AM
LMAO

Current events, it's good to keep up with them.

SO. Tre Boston, then? Lol

Hoover
03-18-2018, 09:15 AM
If he's so good, why is he still available?
Because the Colts are going from the 3-4 to the 4-3

BryanBusby
03-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Star signed a 5 year 50 million contract with Buffalo.
Days later and this contract is still hilarious when I see the details.

RunKC
03-18-2018, 10:19 AM
We’ve improved significantly over last season.

-Ragland was an elite run stuffing LB last year and now we add another guy just like him, but with more athleticism.
-Amerson is at least okay. Way better than Gaines.
-Fuller helps the Peters disaster not be as terrible as it would have been.
-Kpass is going to add pass rush this year inside on subpackages AND he ensures that we won’t see Zombo on the field unless a disaster happens.

Losing Eric Berry killed everything last year. Him taking away TE’s allows us to use more DB’s to outnumber receivers in subpckages.

Then we’ll surely revamp the secondary with a very good DB draft class. Looks much better to me.

Chief Northman
03-18-2018, 10:39 AM

-Ragland was an elite run stuffing LB last year and now we add another guy just like him, but with more athleticism.
-Kpass is going to add pass rush this year inside on subpackages AND he ensures that we won’t see Zombo on the field unless a disaster happens.

Losing Eric Berry killed everything last year. Him taking away TE’s allows us to use more DB’s to outnumber receivers in subpckages.

Then we’ll surely revamp the secondary with a very good DB draft class. Looks much better to me.

Losing Berry showed me this: the safeties we have playing around him are JAGS. Parker’s release was obvious and I am thinking Sorenson could be replaced by a younger, cheaper option as well. The other thing though, is that we have to also insure against Berry’s availability. No guarantees to his long-term health and his abilities are likely declining.
The Watkins acquisition is in part a response to cater to Mahomes’ abilities, but also a response to what happened in the playoff game when we lost Kelce. Veach needs to rebuild quality depth around key pieces so we can contend in the face of injury.

I expect a draft heavy with db acquisitions, a TE, OL and DL.

Chiefpanther
03-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Tre Boston is the guy we need then draft dline

pugsnotdrugs19
03-18-2018, 11:30 AM
The guy who broke the Watkins news on Twitter from his inside source says we are addressing safety in the draft

Easy 6
03-18-2018, 11:49 AM
The guy who broke the Watkins news on Twitter from his inside source says we are addressing safety in the draft

There are definitely some good ones to be had in the second and third rounds... Harrison, Elliott, Watts, Reid, and White all could be there

pugsnotdrugs19
03-18-2018, 11:53 AM
There are definitely some good ones to be had in the second and third rounds... Harrison, Elliott, Watts, Reid, and White all could be there

Harrison is my favorite right now for us.

He shows the versatility needed to play our style of safety. He shows good ball skills. Plays with fire and energy. Good blitzer.

He’s my guy right now at S but those others would be just fine too. People freak out about the lack of defensive signings, but it’s completely possible that one of those safeties end up being better players anyways.

Titty Meat
03-18-2018, 12:00 PM
If Jones gets injured again we have the worst defensive line in football

O.city
03-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Hankins would be a good add. Can play the 3 tech as well

Hoover
03-18-2018, 12:15 PM
Hankins would be a good add. Can play the 3 tech as well
Agree. Over the Cap says he will bring 7M per. He's young, I wonder what we could do a three year deal. I mean we will have Baily off the books next year anway.

pugsnotdrugs19
03-18-2018, 12:23 PM
Agree. Over the Cap says he will bring 7M per. He's young, I wonder what we could do a three year deal. I mean we will have Baily off the books next year anway.

I’d do 7M per. Make it 3 years and lower this year’s hit.

Easy 6
03-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Harrison is my favorite right now for us.

He shows the versatility needed to play our style of safety. He shows good ball skills. Plays with fire and energy. Good blitzer.

He’s my guy right now at S but those others would be just fine too. People freak out about the lack of defensive signings, but it’s completely possible that one of those safeties end up being better players anyways.

Going with a high pick rookie certainly fits Veach' intention to get faster and younger on defense... where we really need a younger vet or two, is along the line

Direckshun
03-18-2018, 12:56 PM
We’ve got a 2nd and two 3rds.

Assuming this team is high on Kpass, which Terez says they are, I expect those three picks to be DL and DB. 2 DL and a S wouldn’t shock me. Neither would a DL, a CB, and a S.

We all know that Veach is going to trade all over the place though. So he could end up with fewer picks or more picks. We just have no idea.

JakeF
03-18-2018, 01:14 PM
We need help everywhere so we should grab the best defensive players we can. We can use multiple defense linemen, another LB and CB(at least)

TRR
03-18-2018, 01:38 PM

I look at it as:

Fuller for Peters
Hitchens for DJ
Watkins for Wilson

I look at two of three positions being largely upgraded, and Fuller, while not the TO machine Peters was/is, will bring more consistency and flexibility to the CB position.

Would love to pull one more starter out of free agency before the draft.

Chief Northman
03-18-2018, 01:45 PM
I look at it as:

Fuller for Peters
Hitchens for DJ
Watson for Wilson

I look at two of three positions being largely upgraded, and Fuller, while not the TO machine Peters was/is, will bring more consistency and flexibility to the CB position.

Would love to pull one more starter out of free agency before the draft.

I think you mean Watkins.

TRR
03-18-2018, 01:49 PM
I think you mean Watkins.

Nope. Sammy Watson.

Chief Northman
03-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Nope. Sammy Watson.

Is he Randy Watson’s brother? From Sexual Chocolate?

Easy 6
03-18-2018, 01:58 PM

LMAO aka Joe the policeman, from the Whats Going Down episode of 'Thats My Mama!'

Hoover
03-18-2018, 01:59 PM
I still think Kimball Andrews could be a full time HB!

BigRedChief
03-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Is Williams any good out of AZ?

Chiefshrink
03-18-2018, 03:14 PM
1. There is no reason to freak out.
2. Its the NT spot that I'm concerned with in free agency. I don't want them to spend stupid money on the postion, but we need a good stop gap.
3. People need to stop thinking that the Chiefs are at a disadvantage because they lack a first round pick. Teams are made in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. We have five picks in those three rounds. This is where I want the Chiefs to grab D linemen and DBs. Like five of them.
4. Our holes on offense are minimal. Yeah, it would be nice to have a better #2 TE behind our all world TE in Kelce. Yeah, we lost Fulton, but there are plenty of bodies available.
5. We will add cheap FAs to fillout the roster. The second week of free agency is not the time to find those guys.

It's March. Lets talk after the draft about what the defense looks. I bet we will feel differently.

Good common sense here !!:clap:

Chiefshrink
03-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Veach needs to rebuild quality depth around key pieces so we can contend in the face of injury.

a la just like the Eagles !!:clap:

Chiefshrink
03-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Losing Berry showed me this: the safeties we have playing around him are JAGS. Parker’s release was obvious and I am thinking Sorenson could be replaced by a younger, cheaper option as well. The other thing though, is that we have to also insure against Berry’s availability. No guarantees to his long-term health and his abilities are likely declining.
The Watkins acquisition is in part a response to cater to Mahomes’ abilities, but also a response to what happened in the playoff game when we lost Kelce. Veach needs to rebuild quality depth around key pieces so we can contend in the face of injury.

I expect a draft heavy with db acquisitions, a TE, OL and DL.

Excellent analysis !!:clap:

TRR
03-18-2018, 03:23 PM

Damn that boy can sing! He good!

RINGLEADER
03-18-2018, 06:31 PM

That boy is good!